Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Login or Register
Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Gaming Room

Dice - http://dicelog.com

D20 SRD - http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Pathfinder SRD - http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Modern SRD - http://www.d20moderndb.com/game-rules/d20-modern-srd

Pando - http://www.pando.com/

Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/


    Planning Phase

    Share
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 18:03

    (Just ignore the lack of backstory for a few more days)

    This is your first time working as a team. The mission is to intercept and secure the God Seed before the Daemonic Forces can get it back through the portal.

    Things you know:

    It takes 1 full round, during which a creature can only perform 1 standard action, to attune to the portal and be transported by it.

    The portals can be adjusted in time as well as space, but aren't exactly accurate enough to get the party in place prior to Daemonic attack upon the Heroes in Xiq (the pregens you were playing). Youve had the luxury of watching the first few moments of the fight play out via magical scrying, and had a solid day to study your opponents and plan your attack.

    You have access to all of the information in the training encounter thread - to include the abilities, magic, attacks, etc that the Daemons have made.

    You can deploy in any square in a 20 foot cone directly in front of this portal.

    Plan your attack, to include any maneuvers, sequences of actions/spells, etc. This isn't set in stone, and doesn't have to be formally written out or anything.

    You can ask questions of the GM, BUT please try to consolidate them so I can check in and answer them over the weekend.

    Here is the map-


    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3709
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  whit10 on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 18:19

    do we need to be concerned with the soon to be dead party that's already there?
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 19:10

    whit10 wrote:do we need to be concerned with the soon to be dead party that's already there?

    You are no longer playing the ill -fated party of pregens, so no need to worry about their movements or actions.
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  navyik on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 19:34

    Are the pregens our allies or a separate faction?
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 19:40

    navyik wrote:Are the pregens our allies or a separate faction?

    Allies, as they are fighting the Daemons. Consider them "Friendlies".
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3709
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  whit10 on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 19:43

    dammit!  They're in the way!!  lol... I might have to reconsider playing my angel
    avatar
    Chirs2

    Posts : 663
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Chirs2 on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 19:50

    MAS wrote:

    It takes 1 full round, during which a creature can only perform 1 standard action, to attune to the portal and be transported by it.

    Youve had the luxury of watching the first few moments of the fight play out via magical scrying, and had a solid day to study your opponents and plan your attack.


    so it takes 1 move action to attune the portal for transport?  that means in the same round we teleport - we will be able to perform a standard and any swift actions after we arrive in Xiq?

    if we have had a solid day to plan our attack, does that mean we can cast any spells with longer durations (not the 1\rd per level type things) ahead of time?


    Do we have any knowledge about how to close THEIR portal down?
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 20:19

    Chirs2 wrote:
    MAS wrote:

    It takes 1 full round, during which a creature can only perform 1 standard action, to attune to the portal and be transported by it.

    Youve had the luxury of watching the first few moments of the fight play out via magical scrying, and had a solid day to study your opponents and plan your attack.


    so it takes 1 move action to attune the portal for transport?  that means in the same round we teleport - we will be able to perform a standard and any swift actions after we arrive in Xiq?

    if we have had a solid day to plan our attack, does that mean we can cast any spells with longer durations (not the 1\rd per level type things) ahead of time?


    Do we have any knowledge about how to close THEIR portal down?

    When ENTERING a portal, you must remain stationary, and adjacent to the portal facing, being granted one standard action in that round. Moving or being moved from the square in which you engaged the portal negates the protocol and would require restarting the process. Any item or other character being carried by someone engaging the portal is transported with the engager and subject to the same action restriction.

    On ARRIVAL, you are free and clear, and have your normal amount of actions available.

    To maintain a spell effect (arcane, divine, or otherwise), class ability, or any any other buff/effect while traveling through the portal, each individual effect is subject to a WILL save, DC of the spell or effects level.

    There is currently no known way to close a portal from the arrival end.

    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  navyik on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 20:28

    Will a huge creature fit through the portal?  

    How many of us can go through at once?

    Does spell resistence interfere with using the portal?

    Is it a 2 way portal?

    Grizzle is laying nose to the portal panting and whining like a dog looking through a screen door at a yard full of squirrels... He has barkskin cast on himself. cat 
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 21:19

    navyik wrote:Will a huge creature fit through the portal?  

    How many of us can go through at once?

    Does spell resistence interfere with using the portal?

    Is it a 2 way portal?

    Grizzle is laying nose to the portal panting and whining like a dog looking through a screen door at a yard full of squirrels...  He has barkskin cast on himself. cat 

    ANY size creature can fit through a portal.

    1d20 creatures can travel through the portal at once. Because of this, we will require a roll at the beginning of the encounter. If the roll is under the amount of characters + cohorts/familiars/animal companions, etc, then the party will arrive staggered in order by initiative rolls. For example, the roll result is 4 - the first four highest initiative scores will arrive on round 1, the next 4 on round 2, etc.

    Spell resistance does not interfere with the portal.

    The portal is two way.

    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3709
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  whit10 on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 22:25

    wait, wait, wait,.... so Tyrael is somewhere with the bear, the fighter and everyone else (no offense) and we are seeing this all happen at the same time or we are each in a different location seeing this happen?
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2792
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Robyo on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 22:47

    Every morning, Ignis puts on his Headband of Alluring Charisma.

    Ignis casts Shield while going thru the portal.
    Will save:
    13+8=21

    Place him in C-11, where he can jockey around the boulders.

    On his turn, Ignis plans to cast Dragon's Breath. He should be able to catch all 3 beasties in a 30' cone. Utilize Selective Spell Meta Magic Feat to keep up to 10 friendlies or companions unharmed by the spell's effects.

    Initiative: 7+3=10
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 23:06

    whit10 wrote:wait, wait, wait,....  so Tyrael is somewhere with the bear, the fighter and everyone else (no offense) and we are seeing this all happen at the same time or we are each in a different location seeing this happen?

    You are all in the same place.....a secret stronghold floating through the astral plane that change locations randomly every 33 minutes. The party is gathered in a scrying room, filled with maps, reports and a busy throng of functionaries going about the business of trying to stop the 1,000 Worlds from Collapsing into primordial chaos.

    The rest will be revealed in a few days when I get the backstory written.


    As stated, this is your first mission together.
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3709
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  whit10 on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 23:28

    Can I be the voice of reason and suggest we come up with a plan first?

    Objective 1: seize the Seed and get back to this place or a safe zone.

    Objective 2: try not kill the other lesser mortals that are already on the scene (ok, that's really only for Tyrael, but still)

    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2792
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Robyo on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 0:12

    No reason why the pregen friendlies can't return with us. Though the GM called them ill-fated, so I don't know.

    If you don't want to stay and fight, that's fine, but isn't my first preference. Either way, Ignis will lay down a suppressing fire.
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3709
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  whit10 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 0:36

    staying and fighting is not what I would prefer... I think at this point the Seed-thing is what we need to concentrate on. My guy would, of course, prefer to not leave the pregens in the lurch but that doesn't mean that someone or thing couldn't scare them away or allow them to withdraw of their own accord.

    lol.... lawful good is bitch. This is the last Pally I ever play.
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  navyik on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 1:26

    Grizzle looks at His companions pleadingly. Then he points at the space between seoni and the nastier baddie and points at himself.
    avatar
    Arcturus

    Posts : 130
    Join date : 2014-01-26
    Age : 35
    Location : Rockford, Illinois

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Arcturus on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 2:33

    Robyo wrote:No reason why the pregen friendlies can't return with us. Though the GM called them ill-fated, so I don't know.

    If you don't want to stay and fight, that's fine, but isn't my first preference. Either way, Ignis will lay down a suppressing fire.

    The way I see it, the friendlies are an acceptable  loss. We should probably judt snatch the bitch with the sphere and let the friendlies cover our tactical retreat.

    On the other hand, that leaves hostile witnesses alive. They will have a pretty good idea of our strength and numbers.

    And since they won't know that the pregens don't know us, chances are they will be tortured for information before they are killed.

    So, we should immediately grab the sorceress with the seed and remove her to safety. And although we don't need the rest of the pregen party, it probably behooves us to silence their attackers as quickly as possible.

    Besides that, being of generally good alignment,  Garth doesnt care for bullying and prefers not to let daemon assholes toast anyone.

    So Garth votes to hit em hard and fast. Him and Grizzle can go straight to the center, I'm thinking f/g-4 and with flanking bonuses and a couple great cleaves and vicious claws should be able to take beast 4 &5 with comparative ease. Especially with fire support from our magic users. Tyrael should be able to take the lunch money from #2. A solid attack of opportunity and flank is available there as well.

    Should be an easy kill, unless there are more surprises. What you guys think?
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3709
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  whit10 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 3:11

    If these are in fact demons, Tyrael probably won't leave w/o slaying them all.
    avatar
    Arcturus

    Posts : 130
    Join date : 2014-01-26
    Age : 35
    Location : Rockford, Illinois

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Arcturus on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 3:16

    MAS wrote:(Just ignore the lack of backstory for a few more days)

    This is your first time working as a team. The mission is to intercept and secure the God Seed before the Daemonic Forces can get it back through the portal.

    Things you know:

    It takes 1 full round, during which a creature can only perform 1 standard action, to attune to the portal and be transported by it.

    The portals can be adjusted in time as well as space, but aren't exactly accurate enough to get the party in place prior to Daemonic attack upon the Heroes in Xiq (the pregens you were playing). Youve had the luxury of watching the first few moments of the fight play out via magical scrying, and had a solid day to study your opponents and plan your attack.

    You have access to all of the information in the training encounter thread - to include the abilities, magic, attacks, etc that the Daemons have made.

    You can deploy in any square in a 20 foot cone directly in front of this portal.

    Plan your attack, to include any maneuvers, sequences of actions/spells, etc. This isn't set in stone, and doesn't have to be formally written out or anything.

    You can ask questions of the GM, BUT please try to consolidate them so I can check in  and answer them over the weekend.

    Here is the map-



    GM Refers to them as Daemons and Daemonic forces all through his first post.

    So I guess it's decided. Sounds like Tyrael, Grizzle and Gartholomew intend to destroy them.
    avatar
    Chirs2

    Posts : 663
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Chirs2 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 3:56



    A very well dressed monkey wearing glasses sits upon the human's shoulder.  They have been studying the battlefield together, as if discussing a game of chess as observers.  The monkey gibbers and jabbers, while the human nods or shakes his head.  After hearing the others suggestions, the pair look at the group.

    The monkey examines the human warrior before elbowing his human in the side of the head.  The monkey gives the human warrior a "thumbs up" with a big simian grin.  The monkey points to the large bear and jabbers something unintelligible while he pounds his small fist in his hand.  The human nods in agreement.  The monkey squawks as it gestures towards the steel skinned angel and acts like it is picking lice off the humans shoulder.  The human cocks 1 eyebrow in shock, but then reluctantly nods his head again.  The monkey looks uncomfortably at the flaming creature and whispers something to the human.  The human's eyes glow blue as he watches the Efreeti before making an awkward, "ooh, ahh ahh" and tapping his nose.

    The human begins, "Gentle-beings, we concur that a plan is in order here.  Your suggestions sound reasonable, but Dr. Peabody here (tilting his head towards the well dressed monkey) would like me to share his assessment.  

    The Invaders have been coming through their portal in small, uncoordinated groups.  We have but 1 chance to catch them by surprise and seize the initiative.  We should all attempt to enter Xiq at the same moment (delay initiative and move together) and move in a determined manner.  Logically, more Invaders will enter Xiq, if we appear.  

    We must capture the King immediately.  Pardon my analogy, capture the SEED immediately, using our fastest asset - the metallic seraph.  Upon entry, the seraph should move rapidly to grab the tattooed woman who carries the seed.  Thus far, the enemy has not shown the capability for flight, so carry her upwards to safety.  The Xiq'ans need the SEED to power their weapon, it should be delivered to them (as per the backstory) as quickly as possible.

    Dr. Peabody agrees with the Bear and the human warrior - you are our Rooks, move directly forward, engage the enemy, capture their attention and reduce their numbers as quickly as possible.

    The Efreeti and I should move to flanking positions on either side, as bishops, and see if we can divine a way to close their portal or disable any reinforcements that arrive.  If needed, we can support the rooks.  Control the center of the board and you control the match! We should try to protect as many of the.... pawns (pregens) as possible, of course"

    The human looks at the group expecting a reply, then he adds almost as an after-thought, "I... er... think this is a good plan... myself, in fact I will boost everyone's speed in the deployment phase (the round we wait to get teleported) so that we can move with all possible Haste.  What say you all?"
    avatar
    Chirs2

    Posts : 663
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Chirs2 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 4:25

    MAS wrote:
    To maintain a spell effect (arcane, divine, or otherwise), class ability, or any any other buff/effect while traveling through the portal, each individual effect is subject to a WILL save, DC of the spell or effects level.

    I think I understand the idea here, but can you clarify the mechanic?

    It seems odd that the stronger of a caster I am... the harder it makes it to keep a spell functioning (the higher DC my spells have) through the portal.

    Maybe a Spell Penetration roll vs the portal's SR would make more sense?
    avatar
    Arcturus

    Posts : 130
    Join date : 2014-01-26
    Age : 35
    Location : Rockford, Illinois

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Arcturus on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 7:43

    Chirs2 wrote:

    A very well dressed monkey wearing glasses sits upon the human's shoulder.  They have been studying the battlefield together, as if discussing a game of chess as observers.  The monkey gibbers and jabbers, while the human nods or shakes his head.  After hearing the others suggestions, the pair look at the group.

    The monkey examines the human warrior before elbowing his human in the side of the head.  The monkey gives the human warrior a "thumbs up" with a big simian grin.  The monkey points to the large bear and jabbers something unintelligible while he pounds his small fist in his hand.  The human nods in agreement.  The monkey squawks as it gestures towards the steel skinned angel and acts like it is picking lice off the humans shoulder.  The human cocks 1 eyebrow in shock, but then reluctantly nods his head again.  The monkey looks uncomfortably at the flaming creature and whispers something to the human.  The human's eyes glow blue as he watches the Efreeti before making an awkward, "ooh, ahh ahh" and tapping his nose.

    The human begins, "Gentle-beings, we concur that a plan is in order here.  Your suggestions sound reasonable, but Dr. Peabody here (tilting his head towards the well dressed monkey) would like me to share his assessment.  

    The Invaders have been coming through their portal in small, uncoordinated groups.  We have but 1 chance to catch them by surprise and seize the initiative.  We should all attempt to enter Xiq at the same moment (delay initiative and move together) and move in a determined manner.  Logically, more Invaders will enter Xiq, if we appear.  

    We must capture the King immediately.  Pardon my analogy, capture the SEED immediately, using our fastest asset - the metallic seraph.  Upon entry, the seraph should move rapidly to grab the tattooed woman who carries the seed.  Thus far, the enemy has not shown the capability for flight, so carry her upwards to safety.  The Xiq'ans need the SEED to power their weapon, it should be delivered to them (as per the backstory) as quickly as possible.

    Dr. Peabody agrees with the Bear and the human warrior - you are our Rooks, move directly forward, engage the enemy, capture their attention and reduce their numbers as quickly as possible.

    The Efreeti and I should move to flanking positions on either side, as bishops, and see if we can divine a way to close their portal or disable any reinforcements that arrive.  If needed, we can support the rooks.  Control the center of the board and you control the match!  We should try to protect as many of the.... pawns (pregens) as possible, of course"

    The human looks at the group expecting a reply, then he adds almost as an after-thought, "I... er... think this is a good plan... myself, in fact I will boost everyone's speed in the deployment phase (the round we wait to get teleported) so that we can move with all possible Haste.  What say you all?"

    I love the dynamic you're establishing between Rasso and his familiar. Brilliant and entertaining plot point!

    Gartholomew listens to Rasso's translation of Peabody's plan intently. When Rasso finishes, Garth looks at him, then regards the monkey with a quizzical look. His deep purple Azlanti eyes flash and he breaks into a pleased grin. He throws back his head and laughs heartily.

    He once again meets Peabody's keen gaze and begins ''I love it! Much better than simply throwing feces at them, eh? A wonderful plan. I agree with you that your 'King' and it's human carrier are priority one. But remember, Dr. Peabody; in chess, even the lowliest Pawn, when played properly, may advance and become a Queen. We simply can't discount the lives of the rest of that party.''

    Garth pauses, and looks between Rasso and Peabody, as if not sure whom to address. His eyes settle back upon Peabody as he continues ''I agree with your assessment that a simultaneous strike is advantageous. We must maintain our element of surprise as long as possible. Also, I'm sure you're correct that when we appear, their reinforcements won't be far behind.'' He glances quickly at Rasso, and gives a light chuckle. Looking back to Peabody he says ''Using Tyrael and your human to cover the portals is a good strategic move. But take care how you position- we have no idea whether or not other portals may open elsewhere.''

    The tall human cocks his head slightly and purses his lips. ''I feel that we must ensure our strike destroys ALL the Daemons. None may escape to report our strength or our numbers, nay, even our very EXISTENCE to whatever fell powers seek to control the Seed. It seems prudent to maintain whatever advantage of secrecy and surprise we may yet possess as long as possible.''

    He pauses again, his face becoming more grave. He looks around the room and slowly states ''One more thing- it is clear we must rescue the Seed, and the other people if at all possible. But perhaps we ought to carefully consider before we turn this Seed over to the Xiqians. Perhaps we ought to carefully consider and hold our own counsel before we allow a relic of such reputed power to be used by anyone.''
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2792
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Robyo on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 9:49

    Ignis' eyes blaze with a red flame as he studies his companions. Smoke wafts from his nostrils and he absently smudges his ebony horns with a chunk of coal. How did they end up in this odd predicament? The ifrit would much prefer to be sunning himself on the lanai of his private fortress. For now, saving the universe takes priority.

    The djinn-blood elementalist half-smiles at the strange behaviors of his fellow champions. They are gathered together, standing around the scrying pool. Mortals tend to put the genie in good humor, especially when he's cooking them flambaigh. The hominds look to be capable warriors, but they talk a lot of games and tactics. Do they not understand that fire can not be controlled? It moves with a force of it's own making, burning and transfroming all matter as it grows and consumes. The simian appears to be their leader. The fighter may be a potential customer. The arcanist seems useful, if not odd. The celestial knight appears deadly, and admirable, but seems to begrudge his vows. The ursidae instantly demands respect. A massive carnivore, he intimidates. The ifrit licks his chops at the thought of stewed bear sausage.

    "Friendsss, let usss not wassste preciousss time," Ignis spoke in a crackling whisper. "There isss much to be done, if we are to sssave the universsse. I agree the ssseed must be returned and asss many alliesss as we can mussster. We will ssstudy the artifact before determining how to channel itsss power."


    *Ignis will stick to his original plan as stated in post #12. Rasso can help flank, while Tyreal, Garth, and Grizzle grab the seed and lead the friendlies back to the portal. Or maybe someone prefers to guard our portal. Do we really want to try to kill the monsters and waste time as more possibly come through their portal? But whatever you guys want to do is fine.
    avatar
    Arcturus

    Posts : 130
    Join date : 2014-01-26
    Age : 35
    Location : Rockford, Illinois

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Arcturus on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 10:33


    [/quote]

    *Ignis will stick to his original plan as stated in post #12. Rasso can help flank, while Tyreal, Garth, and Grizzle grab the seed and lead the friendlies back to the portal. Or maybe someone prefers to guard our portal. Do we really want to try to kill the monsters and waste time as more possibly come through their portal? But whatever you guys want to do is fine.[/quote]

    We don't have to waste time killing them. I guess with all the magical scrying available it doesn't matter if we leave witnesses or not. As far as guarding our portal, I think we should get a clearer idea from the GM what sort of NPC functionaries we may have serving us in our sweet shadow fortress or whatever it was. He mentioned we have others there. Can they capably guard for us or not?
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 10:53

    1) PHENOMENAL start with the role playing!!!!

    2) Clarification regarding the mechanic of spell effects and travel through portals. The DC is not rooted in how strong a spellcaster is, but how strong a spell is. Stronger Spell = More difficult to maintain through the extradimensional feedback produced by the portal. It is notable that cosmological transdimensionist acrcaneam proto scholars are working hard to further refine portal artifactology, and changes in the nature of portal travel are likely to occur at a rapid pace.

    3) Contextual Knowledge:

    The God Seed is not unique to Xiq. It is actually a bio-artifact from the time of the Fey Liberation War. More specifically, it is one of many of the power sources that the Fey used to create Gods. The current multi-planar conflict that is engulfing the Thousand Worlds is a scramble between scores of factions to secure powerful magic in a bid to ensure their survival.

    What are they trying to survive? The Destruction of Throne caused damage to the Plenary Prime so severe that the mechanisms that were safely keeping the Titans at bay beyond the Prime are failing.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 10:55

    *Ignis will stick to his original plan as stated in post #12. Rasso can help flank, while Tyreal, Garth, and Grizzle grab the seed and lead the friendlies back to the portal. Or maybe someone prefers to guard our portal. Do we really want to try to kill the monsters and waste time as more possibly come through their portal? But whatever you guys want to do is fine.[/quote]

    We don't have to waste time killing them. I guess with all the magical scrying available it doesn't matter if we leave witnesses or not. As far as guarding our portal, I think we should get a clearer idea from the GM what sort of NPC functionaries we may have serving us in our sweet shadow fortress or whatever it was. He mentioned we have others there. Can they capably guard for us or not?[/quote]

    The portal will close on demand when the party has exited the battlefield. There are defense in the fortress that will most likely be sufficient should anything hostile make it back through your portal.
    avatar
    Chirs2

    Posts : 663
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Chirs2 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 11:57

    MAS wrote:
    2) Clarification regarding the mechanic of spell effects and travel through portals. The DC is not rooted in how strong a spellcaster is, but how strong a spell is. Stronger Spell = More difficult to maintain through the extradimensional feedback produced by the portal. It is notable that cosmological transdimensionist acrcaneam proto scholars are working hard to further refine portal artifactology, and changes in the nature of portal travel are likely to occur at a rapid pace.

    Ok, I kind of figured that was the intent, which makes sense.

    But spell save DC is 10 + spell level (as you noted) + attribute of the caster.

    So as a caster gains levels, his prime attribute also goes up. At 5th lvl, my CHA might have been 20-22 (+5 or +6), so the save for a Haste would have been 10+3+6 = 19

    now, same strength of spell, DC 10 + 3 + 12 (cha 32) = 25

    the DC is more related to power of the caster than power of the spell.



    It's cool, you are the GM, I was just offering a suggestion. I can understand you not wanting us fully buffed and portal bombing them.
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3709
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  whit10 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 12:00

    "A good plan Sorcerer, but I am Tyrael, chosen by Sarenrae for one purpose.... those are demons of some kind and they must be destroyed. To 'grab her and fly away' is dishonorable and I cannot do so. Someone that can protect the tattooed woman should go to her. Perhaps, you great wielders of the arcane could do something to protect her while we destroy the enemies." Tyrael eyes the monkey somewhat suspiciously, wondering why mortals would try to take orders from a lower life form.

    "I suggest this... the plan you speak of is bold and wise. When we arrive, I will, to borrow the analogy, switch places with the Sorceress as a 'King's Castle' (Tyrael smiles as he says this)... and then they will feel holy might of Sarenrae's divine retribution!"
    avatar
    Chirs2

    Posts : 663
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Chirs2 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 12:01

    MAS wrote:
    3) Contextual Knowledge:

    The God Seed is not unique to Xiq. It is actually a bio-artifact from the time of the Fey Liberation War. More specifically, it is one of many of the power sources that the Fey used to create Gods. The current multi-planar conflict that is engulfing the Thousand Worlds is a scramble between scores of factions to secure powerful magic in a bid to ensure their survival.

    So are we trying to take the SEED for ourselves (through our portal) or trying to make sure the Xiq'ans get the SEED? (it stays there, going to whoever you said in the backstory)

    I am confused....

    avatar
    Chirs2

    Posts : 663
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Chirs2 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 12:06

    I know Ignis is going to do his own thing (as usual with Rob  Wink  )

    are the rest of us in agreement that we delay our actions, enter together, send the 2 tanks forward, tyrael grabs the sorcerer and flies her up and out and I will flank?

    I will probably wait to cast Haste once we go through, since some of you might struggle to pass the save DC and I don't want to waste a Mythic Spell. We should delay our party sequence so that once we pass through, I go first, cast Mythic Haste, then you all go at +50' speed and an extra move action. You will be able to move, engage an enemy and take a full round attack.

    Our initiative is just to keep order, we will all be acting at once, which is actually beneficial to us!


    Rasso will cast Greater Heroism on himself while everyone is talking.
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3709
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  whit10 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 12:10

    ...other than the idea that Tyrael going to make himself useless by flying away with the sorceress, yes. We're good to go

    Wait, Matt, do we have to roll for buff spells that someone else might cast on us? (the will save thing) I would think that would just be for the caster of the spell
    avatar
    Chirs2

    Posts : 663
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Chirs2 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 12:59

    whit10 wrote:...other than the idea that Tyrael going to make himself useless by flying away with the sorceress, yes.  We're good to go

    Wait, Matt, do we have to roll for buff spells that someone else might cast on us?  (the will save thing)  I would think that would just be for the caster of the spell

    useless??  the whole point is to secure the SEED - that is the single most important job and one especially suited to a Paladin.  Tyrael is the fastest mover we have and the most defensive, (not if) WHEN the enemy focuses on him to get the SEED
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 13:03

    Chirs2 wrote:
    MAS wrote:
    3) Contextual Knowledge:

    The God Seed is not unique to Xiq. It is actually a bio-artifact from the time of the Fey Liberation War. More specifically, it is one of many of the power sources that the Fey used to create Gods. The current multi-planar conflict that is engulfing the Thousand Worlds is a scramble between scores of factions to secure powerful magic in a bid to ensure their survival.

    So are we trying to take the SEED for ourselves (through our portal) or trying to make sure the Xiq'ans get the SEED? (it stays there, going to whoever you said in the backstory)

    I am confused....


    The God Seed must be secured from Daemonic forces (or any other hostiles, for that matter). Your mission is to get it back through your portal. The party does have a choice though, don't they?

    They could secure it and immediately fall back through the portal...which is an overall strategic victory but leaves the people of Xiq up against the wall with their "local" problems.

    Staying and delivering it to the Xiq in order to break the siege would present a greater threat to control of the God Seed, as the party may come under attack again while doing so.

    The ultimate victory would be to deliver the God Seed, save Xiq, and get the artifact back through your own portal to safety. Completing a task like that....well that could be something of "mythic proportions".
    avatar
    Chirs2

    Posts : 663
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Chirs2 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 13:04

    whit10 wrote:...other than the idea that Tyrael going to make himself useless by flying away with the sorceress, yes.  We're good to go


    whit10 wrote:Can I be the voice of reason and suggest we come up with a plan first?

    Objective 1: seize the Seed and get back to this place or a safe zone.

    remember that part??? drunken it was actually a good idea
    avatar
    Chirs2

    Posts : 663
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Chirs2 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 13:07

    MAS wrote:

    The ultimate victory would be to deliver the God Seed, save Xiq, and get the artifact back through your own portal to safety. Completing a task like that....well that could be something of "mythic proportions".

    Rasso votes for option 3, without question.

    Do we have to carry the SEED overland in Xiq or can we pop back into the portal and then pop out again at the location where the SEED is actually needed?
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2792
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Robyo on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 13:12

    Chirs2 wrote:Tyrael is the fastest mover we have and the most defensive, (not if) WHEN the enemy focuses on him to get the SEED

    Rasso must be studying the new math, because Ignis' base speed is 60', while Tyrael is 30' and they both fly. Granted, the paladin is more defensive.


    Chirs2 wrote:I know Ignis is going to do his own thing (as usual with Rob  Wink  )

    Hey, I'm just playing my alignment! Chaotic Neutral.

    From PRD:
    "Chaotic Neutral
    A rolling stone gathers no moss. There is only today. Be like the wind and be taken wherever fate sees fit. He who fights fate courts folly. You only live once. Power to those who do not wish for power. Avoid anything in a uniform. Challenge the old orders.
    Core Concepts: Capriciousness, fate, freedom, individuality, liberty, self-possession, unpredictability
    A chaotic neutral character values his own freedom and ability to make choices. He avoids authority and does not fear standing out or appearing different. In extreme cases, he may embrace a lifestyle entirely suited to himself—living in a cave near a city, becoming an artist, or otherwise challenging traditions. He never accepts anything at face value and makes up his own mind rather than blindly accepting what others tell him to do or think."
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 13:14

    whit10 wrote:...other than the idea that Tyrael going to make himself useless by flying away with the sorceress, yes.  We're good to go

    Wait, Matt, do we have to roll for buff spells that someone else might cast on us?  (the will save thing)  I would think that would just be for the caster of the spell


    The character "carrying" the buff or effect makes the WILL save to see if the effect survives the portal journey.

    Good to go? Are you sure?

    How long do you want the portal kept open?
    What do you know about your opponent - Strengths, weakness, capabilities,? How have they operated so far? What are their priorities in movement and targeting?
    What will you do if a party member goes down, or is captured, immobilized, etc?
    Under what conditions will you retreat?


    KEEP UP the great roleplaying!!!!
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 13:17

    Chirs2 wrote:
    MAS wrote:

    The ultimate victory would be to deliver the God Seed, save Xiq, and get the artifact back through your own portal to safety. Completing a task like that....well that could be something of "mythic proportions".

    Rasso votes for option 3, without question.

    Do we have to carry the SEED overland in Xiq or can we pop back into the portal and then pop out again at the location where the SEED is actually needed?

    This mission has been allocated one portal, which cannot be moved. "overland" travel would be needed to reach the Xiq'quan capital. You are only a few hours ride from it so the ground could much likely be covered faster with the party's capabilities.
    avatar
    Chirs2

    Posts : 663
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Chirs2 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 13:18

    Robyo wrote:
    Chirs2 wrote:Tyrael is the fastest mover we have and the most defensive, (not if) WHEN the enemy focuses on him to get the SEED

    Rasso must be studying the new math, because Ignis' base speed is 60', while Tyrael is 30' and they both fly. Granted, the paladin is more defensive.

    Chirs2 wrote:I know Ignis is going to do his own thing (as usual with Rob  Wink  )

    Hey, I'm just playing my alignment! Chaotic Neutral.

    Oh, my bad.... but if Ignis is going to do his own thing anyways, we can't count on him to follow the plan.  Ignis' saves are really low (like Rasso) and it might be easier for either of us to get snared\stunned\etc after we have the SEED.

    I think all your characters are CN  jocolor 
    Sharn was a "Freebird that couldn't be chained" too
    avatar
    Chirs2

    Posts : 663
    Join date : 2012-03-25

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Chirs2 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 13:21

    MAS wrote:
    Good to go? Are you sure?

    How long do you want the portal kept open?
    What do you know about your opponent - Strengths, weakness, capabilities,? How have they operated so far? What are their priorities in movement and targeting?
    What will you do if a party member goes down, or is captured, immobilized, etc?
    Under what conditions will you retreat?


    Other than figuring out who is grabbing the Sorceress\SEED, I agree with Tyrael, we don't have time to sit here and plan out every bit of minutia

    if we only get 1 portal, and you said they can handle their side, then the portal stays open until we return and close it

    we know only what we have seen, that's enough for now or you can tell us what we know when you do a backstory

    several plans have been suggested, but as usual, half the party won't follow them anyways, so it matters little

    we don't know each other, the SEED is the only objective

    none - no retreat, no surrender!

    Let's go!
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 14:00

    Chirs2 wrote:
    MAS wrote:
    Good to go? Are you sure?

    How long do you want the portal kept open?
    What do you know about your opponent - Strengths, weakness, capabilities,? How have they operated so far? What are their priorities in movement and targeting?
    What will you do if a party member goes down, or is captured, immobilized, etc?
    Under what conditions will you retreat?


    Other than figuring out who is grabbing the Sorceress\SEED, I agree with Tyrael, we don't have time to sit here and plan out every bit of minutia

    You do have time, as stated, You have a full day of time to discuss it prior to portal drop. A thorough discussion would be advised.


    avatar
    Arcturus

    Posts : 130
    Join date : 2014-01-26
    Age : 35
    Location : Rockford, Illinois

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Arcturus on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 14:05

    Yeah. We can't plan everything. If the portal can't be moved, obviously close it when we've all gone through. Tyrael should grab the seed since he can protect it best. Garth and Griz should jump right in the shit where I suggested before, in a position which gives us both a flanking bonus (cuz of the pregen positions)and hopefully an AoO against the 2 beasts grouped together. When Tyrael grabs the girl, the other beast will have to approach us head on to fight, or flee. Either way they're all toast with ignis and rasso boosting us and casting offensive magic. We got this. Any objections?

    "Fear not Tyrael, we shall not suffer the monsters to live. Honor your duty to your Goddess by saving the Seed and standing as the last line of defense between it and oblivion. You can defend it as no one else can. Protect it at all costs. We dare not fail."
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3709
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  whit10 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 15:16

    "I was misunderstood. I will cast a spell that will transport the sorceress next to our other caster's... a battery of arcane power if you will. Then those of us trained in the arts of war can... 'do our thing' as I heard it once said."
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  navyik on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 15:46

    Grizzle is unaccustomed to communicating complicated abstractions. He groans in frustration, and points at the pregens with compassionate eyes. He points at the gaps between the pregens, then at the spots to which the daemons teleport. Then he shoves a few of the people in the room into a tight cluster and shrugs with his head cocked in a question.
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  navyik on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 16:30

    Does the portal have to stay until we return or can it close and re-open?
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3709
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  whit10 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 16:31

    navyik wrote:Grizzle is unaccustomed to communicating complicated abstractions.  He groans in frustration, and points at the pregens with compassionate eyes.  He points at the gaps between the pregens, then at the spots to which the daemons teleport.  Then he shoves a  few of the people in the room into a tight cluster and shrugs with his head cocked in a question.

    you can't speak at all? just wondering
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  navyik on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 16:38

    You've not heard him speak...
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3709
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  whit10 on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 17:13

    ...Cleverwater part 2, Electric Boogaloo.

    anyway, "if I'm reading the, uh, bear's motions right, I think he wants us to group up... a wise idea tactically."
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2397
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  MAS on Sat 1 Mar 2014 - 17:19

    navyik wrote:Does the portal have to stay until we return or can it close and re-open?

    An excellent question.

    Contextual Knowledge: Opening a portal to a specific World is a fuzzy science at best. You could request that the portal be closed behind you, and then reopened at a specific time and place. It will PROBABLY reopen.....NEAR the requested location...AROUND the time you request.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Planning Phase

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 12:47