Arcturus2
whit10
7 posters

New Equipment

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    New Equipment Left_bar_bleue19/19New Equipment Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    New Equipment Left_bar_bleue1/0New Equipment Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

New Equipment Empty New Equipment

Post  whit10 Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Guns:  
    NOTE: Revision - Advanced firearms rules are in play from the Ultimate Combat guide:

"Advanced Firearms: Advanced firearms resolve their attacks against touch AC when the target is within the first five range increments, but this type of attack is not considered a touch attack for the purposes of feats such as Deadly Aim. At higher range increments, the attack resolves normally, including taking the normal cumulative –2 penalty for each full-range increment. Advanced firearms have a maximum range of 10 range increments."  

This is to preserve some sort of balance due to the prevalence of guns in the world.  

Reloading modern firearms – any clip fed or external magazine fed weapon requires only a move action to reload.  The Feat Rapid Reload drops this to a free action.  Revolvers stay as they are in the Ultimate Combat Guide – Advanced Firearms.  Most shot-guns are pump action or breach loading:  see UCG – Advanced firearms for double barrel SG, pump shot guns are capable of holding six rounds but fire one at a time (free action to clear and reload each round).

Costs:  Costs are relative to location.  Many developing nations or more remotes parts of the various empires are unlikely to have Thompson SMGs or the latest model Enfield.  There will be three tiers for cost.  Pistols:  Light - $25, Heavy - $35.   Rifles - $75, Shotguns - $60, SMG - $175, $5 per drum, $3 per magazine.   Prices can double or triple depending on the location and seller.  Ammunition can be figured at $1 per 100 rounds.

All clip fed, external magazine weapons (not pump or bolt action, nor revolvers) miss fire on a 1 or 2 attack roll.  Masterwork models (+$100) misfire on a roll of 1.  Revolvers are available in both light and heavy pistol models, as are semi-auto pistols.  

The Reliable quality may be used as an enchantment on any firearm, thus further lowering the Misfire number by 1 (no lower than 0).  

Light pistols (9mm, .38)
    1d6 damage, Critical Modifier: x4, Range Increment: 30', Ammo: 6-8 or more depending on type.

Heavy Pistols (.45, etc.)
    1d8 damage, Critical Modifier: x4, Range Increment: 30', Ammo: 7 or more depending on type.

Rifles (Springfield, Mauser, Enfield)
    1d10 damage, Critical Modifier: x4, Range Increment: 100', Ammo: 5 or depending on type, stripper clip.

Sub-machine Guns (Thompson, Schmeisser)
    1d8 damage, Critical Modifier: x4, Range Increment: 40', Ammo: 20 round magazines or 50 round drums. Multi-Fire capable (see SW corebook - page 165)  Miss-fire on attack roll of 1 for a Thompson, 1 or 2 for a Schmeisser.

Machine Guns:  1d12, x4 Crit Mod., Range Increment: 60'.  Ammo - Belt.  Machine Guns (with a few exceptions) still take two men or more to carry and use effectively.  The handful of 'light machine guns' available at this time (the German Bermann for example) are very rare and prone to design flaws.  

Explosives:  TNT, glycerin based explosives:  $50 per/stick, bomb.  May be combined to make more powerful charges.  Somewhat restricted in some European nations.

Misc. Equipment: costs will vary depending upon seller and location.

Trench Lighter (zippo):  provides enough flame to see in dim light for 10’; may be used as igniter for any simple fuse or charge.  100 uses per fueling, flints and extra fuel required.  

Flash light:  projects non-sunlight directional source out to 100’ (allowing dim vision or doubling lowlight vision).  

Compass:  highly portable and cheap:  always points magnetic north (unless a strong magnetic field is present).  $1.

Watch:  watches are now highly dependable and works of master craftsmanship in many cases.  $2 - $200.

Radios:  Radios are still quite bulky and difficult to carry on one’s person.  Normally, they are available in two types: military and civilian.  Military are fairly large and still not far beyond the use of Morse Code for two way communication (as was done in the Great War aboard ships).  Civilian radios are more and more available as a means of entertainment and news reporting.  Cost 20 dollars/pounds.

The normal equipment that is available in the Equipment Guide is sufficient for this game with a couple caveats.   No special racial equipment (unless it has been discussed with the GM) is available.  This does NOT cover racial weapons, they are part of the race benefits and are unchanged (though it might be difficult to find certain weapons in certain places).  Costs are only going to be a factor during game play.  The other caveat is that many items will obviously the modern (1920s) equivalent:  manacles – handcuffs.  Some DCs will be higher as a result due to better quality items.  

Assume that you all have access to all mundane items and equipment (even master quality) for a grand total of a $50.  

Transport:  of course, cars and motorcycles are more and more common in the world and have replaced the horse as the primary means of personal transport in most European and American cities.  They are more frequent as the years go by in many other nations as well.  Costs of automobiles are moot for now; motorcycles are more common.  Indian is a popular brand and Harley Davidson is the largest producer in the world.  

For game purposes:  motorcycles function essentially as a horse but with greater speed.  Move increment is 40’ unless through rough terrain.  If a rider spends one standard action to increase their speed, the vehicle will continue to accelerate to over 100 mph.  It can sustain speed like only over flat, straight surfaces.  Ride skill may be used for all motorcycle DC checks.  Motorcycles normally have a Hardness of 10 and take 50 points of damage to render inoperable.

Last edited by whit10 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:53 am; edited 3 times in total
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

New Equipment Empty Re: New Equipment

Post  Arcturus2 Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Costs? Magical ammunition available?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:10 pm

I can't find the magical cost for ammo, it will be available. Most of the time magic weapons are better because you don't expend anything and you get the same bonuses. Weapons and ammo don't stack bonuses.

As for cost,

figure 50 per pistol, 100 for a rifle, 60 a shotgun and 225 for a tommy gun (I'm just guessing here)? I think that's reasonable. For magic item purposes, just use that as the base cost.

No mithril or adamantine to start with please.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Ok, after careful deliberation, I have decided on the following:

light pistols (9mm, .38 and so forth) do 1d8 damage with x4 crit mod.
    heavy pistols (.45, .44 mag, etc.) do 1d10 damage, same crit mod.

Rifles - 1d12 with x4 crit mod.
    Shotguns - same damage as in Ultimate Combat Guide, same rules for scatter

Armor and any item made from steel.

Since the adding of carbon to make high quality steel started with the industrial revolution (and was actually a rediscovery for most of Europe) all steel is now considered to be the same as Mithril, as far as quality and weight is concerned. My logic is this... a great sword from the middle ages is certainly a fearsome weapon but they were often made of inferior steel and somewhat inconsistent production methods; they would often break, bend and become useless from too much use over time. Modern weapons (especially those made in the 20th century) are such a major leap forward that I believe it needs to be represented in this game. Plus, this gives PCs more options for armor. One note: this DOES NOT mean that normal current weapons are treated as alchemical silver for purposes of bypassing DR. Just that they are much higher quality and weigh less.
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 pm

just for clarification....

we pay the standard (steel) price and we get a mithral item.

Is there a mithral-priced upgrade available?

what about a modern Adamantium, like Kevlar or something?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:39 pm

Kevlar is still many years away. Magical protection is coming to be seen as a rare, but a more useful, alternative.

You can still buy Mithril or Adamantine, it's just considered 'magical' in some form, therefor, far more rare. Use the normal upgrade costs. And yes, normal steel weapons are now, essentially, mithril in quality. Weight, AC penalty reduction, Hardness, Max Dex all apply.

Actually, make the AC penalty reduction only a 2 and the Max Dex +1 higher. Mithril should still be worth it if it's in the game.
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:44 am

whit10 wrote:
    Actually, make the AC penalty reduction only a 2 and the Max Dex +1 higher.  Mithril should still be worth it if it's in the game.

ok, makes sense, thanks.

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:45 pm

equipment page updated. Let me know if I've missed anything
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    New Equipment Left_bar_bleue35/35New Equipment Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    New Equipment Left_bar_bleue0/0New Equipment Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:13 pm

whit10 wrote:equipment page updated.  Let me know if I've missed anything

looks great!

now I have to go back and re-re-figure my $$ maths  study 

I might suggest the Boundless Bandolier for any gun-totting folks for 1000, it can reload 1 round of ammo for free into your gun each round and it carries lots of different kinds of ammo, so you can swap to silver\iron\special rounds as needed
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    New Equipment Left_bar_bleue60/112New Equipment Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Chris wrote:
    whit10 wrote:equipment page updated.  Let me know if I've missed anything

looks great!

now I have to go back and re-re-figure my $$ maths  study 

I might suggest the Boundless Bandolier for any gun-totting folks for 1000, it can reload 1 round of ammo for free into your gun each round and it carries lots of different kinds of ammo, so you can swap to silver\iron\special rounds as needed

Chris - can you link the Boundless Bandolier please? I cant seem to find it.

Also - the D20 Past has a GREAT list of weapons, by year of availability and everything. I know you took the time lay out some weapon stats, but Id like to use what they have listed, and suggest you point everyone towards them as well.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:17 am

I concur Matt, and thanks for the email with the weapons/armor tables. I actually posted a link to d20 Past in the Skill Mods thread, but was ignored, as usual.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:40 am

Your post was what reminded me to look!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:37 am

Sorry, just haven't posted it yet, Rob. I just plain forgot last night, it wasn't ignored.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:06 am

the d20 stuff is a good reference, but ultimately not practical since d20 had all firearm damage as 2dx and not 1dx in PF. PF gives the x4 crit instead of x2.

Matt, here ya go, I had the name slightly wrong

Beneficial Bandolier

Price 1,000 gp; Aura moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Weight 2 lbs.

This bandolier is made of finely tanned leather. It has slots for up to 200 rounds of ammunition. Pellets and black powder are kept in tiny individual pouches, and bullets in small loops. The bandolier alters itself as needed to accommodate both. There are also places on the beneficial bandolier for a gunsmith's kit and a powder horn. Regardless of what quantities of these items are placed within the beneficial bandolier, its weight does not change.

As a swift action, the wearer can command a single round of ammunition from the beneficial bandolier to teleport into a firearm of the appropriate type that he is wielding.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:30 pm

Thanks for the copy Chris -

I see the differences between the 2, it just seems like the D20 stuff is more fleshed out - seems like we were trying to reinvent the wheel when we had a car ready to roll.

Has Josh said either way as to which he wants to use?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:50 pm

MAS wrote:
    I see the differences between the 2, it just seems like the D20 stuff is more fleshed out - seems like we were trying to reinvent the wheel when we had a car ready to roll.

We are playing PF

the other main difference is guns are only ranged TOUCH attacks within the first range increment in PF, which Josh has changed to a special ability of GS and Fighters (soldiers) only. In d20\SW guns are regular ranged attacks (armor counts). So there is also the balance of guns being almost auto-hits in PF, thus the lower damage codes unless you crit x4.

PF also doesn't have a DC set of rules, only AC. I know Josh was looking at converting PF to a SW\Rad-type set of DC+x\lvl but that is a lot of work and then it screws up any magic that also uses touch or ranged-touch attacks. PF just isn't build for it and Josh doesn't like d20 (it is a hot mess of unbalanced rules).

So my understanding is we are playing PF, with the minor changes he has already listed.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    New Equipment Left_bar_bleue68/68New Equipment Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:41 am

Robyo wrote:I concur Matt, and thanks for the email with the weapons/armor tables. I actually posted a link to d20 Past in the Skill Mods thread, but was ignored, as usual.

I downloaded it right away.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:25 am

navyik wrote:
    Robyo wrote:I concur Matt, and thanks for the email with the weapons/armor tables. I actually posted a link to d20 Past in the Skill Mods thread, but was ignored, as usual.

Righty-oh!  Very Happy 

I'm not complaining, really. And I've been trying to put a damper on my tendency for passive aggressive comments. An elder made me aware of it a few years back. I think I'm better then I used to be, but perfection is nigh unattainable. Besides, by the middle of the week, because of work, patience is at a minimum. Am I right?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    New Equipment Left_bar_bleue68/68New Equipment Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:18 pm

Robyo wrote:
    navyik wrote:

Righty-oh!  Very Happy 

I'm not complaining, really. And I've been trying to put a damper on my tendency for passive aggressive comments. An elder made me aware of it a few years back. I think I'm better then I used to be, but perfection is nigh unattainable. Besides, by the middle of the week, because of work, patience is at a minimum. Am I right?

mine is gone by monday lunch!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:23 pm

Chris wrote:
    MAS wrote:

We are playing PF

the other main difference is guns are only ranged TOUCH attacks within the first range increment in PF, which Josh has changed to a special ability of GS and Fighters (soldiers) only.  In d20\SW guns are regular ranged attacks (armor counts).  So there is also the balance of guns being almost auto-hits in PF, thus the lower damage codes unless you crit x4.  

PF also doesn't have a DC set of rules, only AC.  I know Josh was looking at converting PF to a SW\Rad-type set of DC+x\lvl but that is a lot of work and then it screws up any magic that also uses touch or ranged-touch attacks.  PF just isn't build for it and Josh doesn't like d20 (it is a hot mess of unbalanced rules).  

So my understanding is we are playing PF, with the minor changes he has already listed.  

Roger, Ill just buy guns off of the PF list.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:15 am

Bump!

There's been a lot of questions regarding firearms in the WoD 2nd installment, so here's the relevant thread...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content