Modern SRD - http://www.d20moderndb.com/game-rules/d20-modern-srd

Pando - http://www.pando.com/

Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

Unbreakable Stonelord

Chirs2

Unbreakable Stonelord

Post  Chirs2 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:38 pm

The idea with Rocky Balboulder is to make a true MMO style "Tank".  For those who don't play MMO's or might think of a tank as an offensive weapon, which it is, I will explain the MMO Tank.  In MMOs there is a "Holy Trinity" of archetypes, regardless of what the classes are called:  DPS, Healer and Tank.

DPS = damage per second, all offense, glass-cannons, very "squishy".  this can be any class - melee, caster, archer, etc.  

Healer = as the name implies and often can also use crowd-control abilities to slow, root, etc, often

Tank = draw enemies off of DPS and healers, usually have their own healing and cleansing abilities, a totally defensive archetype, very little damage dealing ability, other than to draw mobs\bosses away from other players.  They often have mitigation abilities to completely ignore big hits.  

The main job is to "pull aggro", meaning to compel enemies to attack the tank, even though they are usually doing far less damage than a DPS.  Tanks often use abilities called "taunts" which force an enemy to attack the tank or (in the case of PvP) make an enemies' attacks do considerably less damage to anyone other than the tank.  A tank is a healer's best friend and protector.

Our Champion party really has all DPS, though Rasso would be the closest to a Tank with his focus on counterspells and crowd-controlling debuff spells.  Gareth, Jules and Igniss are pure DPS.  We haven't seen Grizz do much yet, but he has the look of a sturdier DPS, but still a damage dealer.  We don't have a true healer to protect, but a tank might still be useful in controlling mobs and keeping the damage off of squishier folks so they can just keep dealing damage with impunity.

The hardest part in PF was finding a way to compel attackers.  There is 1 low-level suit of armor, but the save is too low, even if buffed to be useful.  The main "pull" is going to come through a feat called Antagonize, which can compel 1 enemy to attack the Tank.  I am going to focus on defensive\cleansing abilities and count on Combat Reflexes and Reach to actually do damage (or at least debuff through sunder, trip, etc).  

GM Matt has ruled that Dazzling Display would work with Antagonize, but that gets very feat-expensive and may be the ultimate build out goal at lvl 20.  

The PF rules say you CAN have more than 1 archetype, but that you (obviously) can't replace an ability twice.  I think the rules are a bit unclear in this regard, but it would seem like as long as you only replace 1 ability with another, you are not gaining additional powers.  I admit it is certainly "cherry picking" abilities, but like Radiance switching themes, if you progressed the character from 1 to 16, you could actually switch archetypes at each level, pick the ability-replacement power you wanted, be legal for that level, then switch at the next level.  There are multiple ways to make this build, some just a bit less-optimal than others.

I present Rocky Balboulder, admittedly "cherry picking" archetype features for the optimal build.

Chirs2

Re: Unbreakable Stonelord

Post  Chirs2 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:44 pm

Rocky Balboulder
    Unbreakable Stonelord F4\P12

Str: 14 \  22 \ DS 26
    Dex: 14 \ 16
    Con: 22 \ 26  \ 26 \ DS 30        
    Int: 14
    Wis: 12 \ 16
    Cha: 8 \ 12

Reach 5 + 5 (reach wpn) + 5 (lunge) = 15ft reach (20ft Righteous)

HP  304 (all + lvl) \ 336 in stance
    AC  41\43 stance
    DR 6\adamantine (from Stonelord)
    +10\- (stacks, from Combat Expertise)

Fort: 8 4 8 5 = 25 \ 27 stance\ +5 vs spells\poisons 30\32
    Ref:  4 1 3 5 = 13 \ 0 stance \ +5 spells 18
    Will:  8 1 3 5 = 17 \ 19 stance \ +5 spells 22\24

Immune: Fear, Charm\Charm effects, Bleed, Blood Drain

Fortification 50% vs crits or precision damage

Lay on Hands 8\day 6d6 (fatigue + disease + exhausted)

Feats:
    1 Steel Soul (doubles Hardy)
    3 Combat Reflexes
    5 Stalwart
    7 Lunge +5ft reach
    9 Intimidating Prowess (str to intimidate)
    11 Imp Stalwart
    13 Dazzling Display
    15 Antagonize

Fighter:
    1 - Unbreakable - Diehard + Endurance
    2 - Wpn Focus polearm or spear (not sure)
    4 - Combat Expertise

Fighter Abilities
    2 - Pole Fighting (Ex): At 2nd level, as an immediate action, a polearm master can shorten the grip on his spear or polearm with reach and use it against adjacent targets. This action results in a –4 penalty on attack rolls with that weapon until he spends another immediate action to return to the normal grip. The penalty is reduced by –1 for every four levels beyond 2nd. This ability replaces bravery.
    3 - Phalanx Fighting (Ex): At 3rd level, when a phalanx soldier wields a shield, he can use any polearm or spear of his size as a one-handed weapon. This ability replaces armor training 1.

Stonelord Abilities
    Heartstone (Ex): At 2nd level, a stonelord's flesh becomes progressively rockier. She gains a +1 natural armor bonus to AC and DR/adamantine equal to 1/2 her paladin level. The natural armor bonus increases by +1 at 6th level, and every four levels thereafter, to a maximum of +5 at 18th level. These benefits are halved when not touching the ground or a stone structure. This ability replaces divine grace.

Stoneblood (Ex): At 3rd level, a stonelord's vitals begin to calcify and her blood transforms into liquid stone. She adds her paladin level on checks to stabilize at negative hit points and gains a 25% chance to ignore a critical hit or precision damage. This does not stack with fortification armor or similar effects. At 9th level, this chance increases to 50% and she becomes immune to petrification. At 15th level, this chance increases to 75% and she becomes immune to bleed and blood drain effects. This ability replaces divine health and her mercies gained at 3rd, 9th, and 15th level.

Defensive Stance (Ex): At 4th level, a stonelord gains the defensive stance ability, as a stalwart defender (Advanced Player's Guide 277), and may select one defensive power at 8th level and every four levels thereafter. Levels of stalwart defender stack with her paladin levels when determining the total number of rounds that she can maintain her defensive stance per day. A stonelord does not gain any spells or spellcasting abilities, does not have a caster level, and cannot use spell trigger or spell completion magic items.  (24 rds total)

Halting Blow (Ex): If a foe's movement in the defender's threatened area provokes an attack of opportunity and the stalwart defender successfully hits the foe with the attack, the foe's movement ends immediately. The foe cannot move again until its next turn but can still take the rest of its action. A stalwart defender must have selected the bulwark power prior to selecting halting blow.

Bulwark (Ex): The defender adds his armor check penalty as a bonus to the DC of opponents attempting to Bluff him and Acrobatics checks to pass by him without provoking an attack of opportunity for moving through spaces he threatens.

Sacred Shield Abilities
    Bastion of Good (Su): At 1st level, a sacred shield can call upon the powers of good to defend her and her allies against evil. This ability functions as smite evil, except that the paladin gains no benefit on attack or damage rolls against her target. Instead, any attacks the target makes against allies within 10 feet of the paladin deal half damage. Attacks against the paladin deal full damage, but the paladin gains a deflection bonus to her AC equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) against attacks made by the target of the smite. This bonus increases by +1 for every four paladin levels (to a maximum of +6 at 20th level). As with smite evil, if the paladin targets a creature that is not evil, her bastion of good ability is wasted with no effect. Feats, abilities, and the like that increase a paladin's number of uses of smite evil per day increase a sacred shield's uses of bastion of good per day. This ability replaces smite evil.

Holy Shield (Su): At 4th level, a sacred shield can channel her faith into her shield, protecting any nearby allies. All allies adjacent to the paladin gain a shield bonus equal to the sacred shield's own shield bonus, including any increase from the shield's enhancement bonus. This bonus does not stack with any existing shield bonuses. The paladin herself radiates light as a light spell while the shielding is active. At 11th level, this protection expands to cover any allies within 10 feet and the radiance increases to the effects of a daylight spell. At 20th level, any allies within 20 feet are protected. Using this ability consumes two uses of the sacred shield's lay on hands ability, and the effects last for 3 rounds plus a number of rounds equal to her Charisma bonus (if any). This ability replaces channel positive energy.

Divine Bond (Su): At 5th level, instead of forming a divine bond with her weapon or a mount, a sacred shield forms a bond with her shield. As a standard action, a sacred shield can enhance her shield by calling on the aid of a celestial spirit. This bond lasts for 1 minute per paladin level. When called, the spirit causes the shield to shed light like a torch. At 5th level, the spirit grants the shield a +1 enhancement bonus. For every three levels beyond 5th, the shield gains another +1 enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +6 at 20th level. These bonuses can be added to the shield, stacking with existing enhancement bonuses to a maximum of +5, or they can be used to add any of the following armor special abilities: arrow deflection, bashing, blinding, fortification (any), reflecting, and spell resistance (any). The reflecting enhancement may be used once each time the sacred shield makes use of her divine bond. Adding these armor special abilities consumes an amount of bonus equal to the property's cost. These bonuses are added to any properties the shield already has, but duplicate special abilities do not grant any extra benefit. If the shield is not magical, at least a +1 enhancement bonus must be added before any other special abilities can be added. The bonus and special abilities granted by the spirit are determined when the spirit is called and cannot be changed until the spirit is called again. The celestial spirit imparts no bonuses if the shield is used by anyone other than the sacred shield, but it resumes giving bonuses if the sacred shield resumes using the shield. A sacred shield can use this ability once per day at 5th level, and one additional time per day for every four levels beyond 5th, to a maximum of four times per day at 17th level.

If a shield with a celestial spirit is destroyed, the sacred shield loses the use of this ability for 30 days, or until she gains a level, whichever comes first. During this period, the sacred shield takes a –1 penalty to her armor class and on saving throws.

Improved Bastion: At 11th level, the radius of a sacred shield's bastion of good ability increases to 20 feet. This ability replaces the paladin's aura of justice.

Paladin Abilities
    Aura of Good (Ex): The power of a paladin's aura of good (see the detect good spell) is equal to her paladin level.

Detect Evil (Sp): At will, a paladin can use detect evil, as the spell. A paladin can, as a move action, concentrate on a single item or individual within 60 feet and determine if it is evil, learning the strength of its aura as if having studied it for 3 rounds. While focusing on one individual or object, the paladin does not detect evil in any other object or individual within range.

Lay On Hands (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a paladin can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day she can use this ability a number of times equal to 1/2 her paladin level plus her Charisma modifier. With one use of this ability, a paladin can heal 1d6 hit points of damage for every two paladin levels she possesses. Using this ability is a standard action, unless the paladin targets herself, in which case it is a swift action. Despite the name of this ability, a paladin only needs one free hand to use this ability.

Alternatively, a paladin can use this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures, dealing 1d6 points of damage for every two levels the paladin possesses. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. Undead do not receive a saving throw against this damage.

Aura of Courage (Su): At 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This ability functions only while the paladin is conscious, not if she is unconscious or dead.

Mercy (Su): At 3rd level, and every three levels thereafter, a paladin can select one mercy. Each mercy adds an effect to the paladin's lay on hands ability. Whenever the paladin uses lay on hands to heal damage to one target, the target also receives the additional effects from all of the mercies possessed by the paladin. A mercy can remove a condition caused by a curse, disease, or poison without curing the affliction. Such conditions return after 1 hour unless the mercy actually removes the affliction that causes the condition.

• Fatigued: The target is no longer fatigued.  (taken at 6th)
    Exhausted (12th)

Aura of Resolve (Su): At 8th level, a paladin is immune to charm spells and spell-like abilities. Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against charm effects.

Traits:
    Glory of Old +1 Hardy
    Dangerously Curious +1 UMD, class skill

Skills: 2 + 2
    Intimidate 16 + 3 +1 + 6 (8 in stance) 3 (item) = 29\31
    Perception 16 + 3 = 19
    UMD 16 +3 + 1 +1 +3 = 24
    1more

Gear: (not finished)
    Tower Shield +5 = +9ac Deathless
    Mithral Full Plate +3 of Righteousness (1 min +4 str, +4 con, -2 dex, +2 natural armor, +1 size, +5 reach) (12ac)
    Ring Protection +3
    Ring of Evasion
    Cloak Resistance +5
    Circlet of Persuasion +3 cha checks
    Bracelet of Mercy +1 LoH + disease
    +4 to all physical stats, belt
    +4 to 2 mental stats

Halberd\spear - Mimetic + spell stealing

over small stuff, handyhaversack, necklace of adaptation, boots, etc
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:38 pm

Looks pretty tough. Nice work. Nice breakdown of the way MMO characters work as well, thanks for the insight.

So are you planning to switch out to this guy between fights?

I was actually thinking of creating a new character..

Garth feels overpowered and I don't want you guys to get bored playing with me, or any more bored than anyway, so I was thinking about making a Paladin. Still can do some damage, but with lots of healing and buffs to give.

Looks like you got a nice build here though, so maybe I'll try something else.

What do you think? Should I keep playing my heavy hitter or maybe build a pally or a ranger?
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:07 pm

great, lol.. we have 3 paladins built for this group now!

not knocking you Dan, I just find it amusing. I've played one in PF in another campaign.. es muy bueno!
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:09 pm

PF nerfed the hell out of the Cleric, Monk and the Rogue, but they did it right for the Paladin and Barbarian!
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:35 pm

whit10 wrote:great, lol.. we have 3 paladins built for this group now!  

not knocking you Dan, I just find it amusing.  I've played one in PF in another campaign.. es muy bueno!

I dunno what I wanna do. I'm just not sure that my big boy fighter fits with everyone. I'm looking for input, is there another role that needs filled? Or should I stick with my massive damage guy?

Like I said, my big concern is everyone will get bored with my boy predictably trying to one-round kill everything in sight. I don't wanna detract from anyone else's game..
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:02 pm

well, you will occasionally miss. lol... this is just some Corpse Guards, or whatever, believe me, bigger shit can take punishment and give it back.

Play what you want has always kind of been the rule.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:24 pm