Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Login or Register
Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Gaming Room

Dice - http://dicelog.com

D20 SRD - http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Pathfinder SRD - http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Modern SRD - http://www.d20moderndb.com/game-rules/d20-modern-srd

Pando - http://www.pando.com/

Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/


    Requiem for a fellowship

    Share
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3700
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  whit10 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:27 am

    heh... alignment. Always forget that one... and yes, CN
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2697
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  navyik on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:53 am

    Here's how I want to handle "detect alignment." Yes, I will tell you if something is clearly aligned towards the deliberate practice of evil action and intent. That said, the hearts of men are all evil to some degree. So everyone resonates evil. Ian is not so much using an ability, but is naturally gifted with empathy.
    Ian sees that Tarek is seriously misguided, but wants to be loyal to something. He sees that Lumenor is committed to a fault and that Chef has a heart of golden dime-store candy, but a dirty mind. The ranger is an enigma. He is noble but haunted by a shrouded origin.
    They are all misfits. But there is a resonance in this place. Evil? Maybe it just ends up that way. No, it is indifference; perhaps the greatest evil. Something that wasn't evil, but was twisted? He can't quite define it. It is just a resonance...
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2697
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  navyik on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:59 am

    The group works together to free Tarek. It takes most of the day. Evening closes in.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4913
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  Chris on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:41 am

    navyik wrote:Here's how I want to handle "detect alignment."  Yes, I will tell you if something is clearly aligned towards the deliberate practice of evil action and intent.  That said, the hearts of men are all evil to some degree. So everyone resonates evil.  Ian is not so much using an ability, but is naturally gifted with empathy.  
     Ian sees that Tarek is seriously misguided, but wants to be loyal to something.  He sees that Lumenor is committed to a fault and that Chef has a heart of golden dime-store candy, but a dirty mind.  The ranger is an enigma.  He is noble but haunted by a shrouded origin.
     They are all misfits.  But there is a resonance in this place.  Evil?  Maybe it just ends up that way.  No, it is indifference; perhaps the greatest evil.  Something that wasn't evil, but was twisted?  He can't quite define it.  It is just a resonance...

    cool! I like the roleplaying aspect of your idea, that fits very well with the theme of your world

    Detect Evil does also serve a very specific purpose though. Smite Evil has 0 effect on anything that is not evil, so it is a specific mechanical issue of paladin class abilities interacting with monsters in combat. I need to be able to detect the "evil" alignment or its absence so I can properly use his other class abilities

    I don't see any conflict between the mechanical combat application and your out-of-combat empathic flavorful description. I just wanted to mention the mechanical issue in advance of combat.
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2697
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  navyik on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:44 am

    Got it.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4913
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  Chris on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 am

    navyik wrote:The group works together to free Tarek.  It takes most of the day.  Evening closes in.

    After a hard day of leaning on his shovel and watching the others work, Ian looks about the ruined village and shivers, "Perhaps we should camp in the woods for the night? I know a great spot down by the river."
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2787
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:47 pm

    Chef will spend as much additional time as needed to pile the bodies and burn them.
    avatar
    MrBrownstone75

    Posts : 200
    Join date : 2015-01-05
    Age : 42
    Location : Stillman Valley, IL

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    15/20  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  MrBrownstone75 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:55 pm

    Theodras agrees with Ian. "Yes, this place seems unfit for a place to make camp. No worries, I've spent a few nights in these parts. I'll head down to the woodline and begin setting up camp there. Anyone is welcome to follow. I'll come get the rest of you when I'm done."

    Theodras heads down to the woodline and begins setting up camp near a stream. He hoists his rations up into a tree to keep them away from bears, then gathers twigs and fallen branches for firewood. He lays out his bedroll and blanket on a nest of twigs and leaves (for insulation). He starts a fire, and if he has time he will construct a lean-to with the larger branches for a wind shelter. If any of the group comes along he will instruct them on what needs to be done.

    Theodras heads back into Lastwater to guide any remaining members of the party to the campsite. Suddenly weariness sets in, and Theodras realizes he has been up all night jogging and all day working. After sitting down with some rations and wine he passes out on his cot.

    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4913
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  Chris on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:33 pm

    Ian follows Theodras to his camp site.  

    Ian camps like an old white man in the woods.  He makes the fire bigger than it needs to be and says he gets cold easily.  He takes off his armor boots to reveal wool socks with several holes.  He washes them in the stream and hangs them over a low-hanging branch.  Ian manages to get his tent up, but it isn't tight or square.  He is happy to tell stories around the fire and share any wine that he is offered.  Ian clears his sinuses a few times and rubs his swollen feet with a foul-smelling ointment.

    After he has a good buzz he passes out in his tent with his armor on, minus the boots.  He doesn't offer to take watch and isn't concerned about it in general.  He snores loudly, though he would deny it.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2381
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  MAS on Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:32 am

    Red Eyed Raven sleeps while the camp is built.

    Lumenor has the camp's fire started seemingly before any other preparations for the camp even begin. He is sullen and silent as he helps gather wood, heavily burdened by the divine revelations still echoing in wispy voices in his mind, clinging to his thoughts like the cloying smell of smoke on clothes after a pipe...

    He places each piece on the fire very carefully. As others casually dump armfuls of branches into the fire, he reaches into the growing flames and rearranges them, ignoring the heat and minor burns to his arms, hands and face. There is a pattern there, on the edge of his consciousness, an answer and a question and a secret and a truth....

    "It sleeps in the ground, crashed there, ages ago. It burned when it arrived, and then when it slept, green and growth returned. It has wakened and now it judges. The green ones are not of its mind, but I am, and I hear its calling. Their purge does not burn true, their flame sputters, choked of pure fuels, and so it must be quenched" he says aloud, at a moment when other conversation has died and the camp has grown quiet.

    He looks slowly to each of the others, straight into their eyes. "Do you see the light, feel the flame?"



    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3700
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  whit10 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:32 am

    "hey... thanks guys... total misunderstanding, I accidentally wound up in that room when I heard the commotion outside. Hehe.. I'm sure glad to see ya."

    After Tarek gets out, he frantically searches for his fathers lock picks and tools... then any spare gear or weapons that are lying around. He'll sit listening for a while but that's about it.

    Tell me if you want a search roll.
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2697
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  navyik on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:48 am

    Bluff roll. I'll say he finds what was on his character sheet.
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3700
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  whit10 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:12 am

    cool.

    Bluff:

    Roll(1d20)-2:
    16,-2
    Total:14
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2697
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  navyik on Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:57 pm

    The rest of you can make sense motive checks.

    Into the night, a sorm hits. Spring in the badlands can get pretty wet. Thunder, lightning, and merciless rain pound down on the tiny camp. Most of you had some sleep. Everyone is miserable. Bedrolls are soaked and Ian's tent is a bog. The stench of death is washed away, but the flickering light offers grim reminders of the dying funeral pyre. The futility of the camp is accented by sudden flashes that highlight what is left of the town; The well, the jail, and the tower, which beckons.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4913
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  Chris on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:06 pm

    Sense Motive

    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +4" :

    2 + 4 = 6

    "Eh, cool story."


    Ian fumbles about inside his water-logged tent. He tries desperately to prop it up and drain the water off, but he fails miserably. Ian grabs his gear and uses his tent as a poncho. He stomps off back towards town, muttering and cursing under his breath.

    "I am going to find somewhere dry...."

    Ian isn't particular about where he sleeps. The tower would be his first choice, he will try to kick the door open if it is locked.

    Strength check
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +2" :

    16 + 2 = 18

    If not, he will grumble some more and go find a dry spot in the old jail.
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3700
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  whit10 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:35 pm

    Tarek will join him... "damned weather... I hate rain"
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4913
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  Chris on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:09 pm

    whit10 wrote:Tarek will join him... "damned weather... I hate rain"

    "Now there's a sensible man. Can you help with the tower door? It seems to be... stuck."
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2697
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  navyik on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:11 pm

    The door of the tower is locked... and quite solid. Ian slams against it to no avail.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2381
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  MAS on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:17 pm

    "FLOOD and FRIGHT!!" squawks Red Eyed Raven as he and Lumneor follow Ian and Tarek to the tower.

    Lumenor carefully guards his hooded lantern to ensure that the flame within is not extinguished by the deluge.
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3700
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  whit10 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:18 pm

    Tarek will examine the lock first (looking for traps)

    Perception:

    Roll(1d20)+6:
    10,+6
    Total:16

    Depending on what he learns, Disable Device:

    Roll(1d20)+9:
    15,+9
    Total:24


    Last edited by whit10 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2787
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  Robyo on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:03 pm

    Are we in any danger of hypothermia or exhaustion? If so, then Chef will construct a lean-to in the jail with timbers scavenged from around the area.

    Otherwise, he will shrug and chew on some jerky, following along to the tower.
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2697
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  navyik on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:16 pm

    It is the first time Tarek's...tallent...has ever brought a sigh of relief to honest men and it feels good. With no apparent trap on the lock, Tarek's picks struggle for a moment before eliciting a satisfying click. The door creaks open into an eiry stillness.

    I will star a new thread when I've had some time to get my map together. Chris, I will still need your help.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4913
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  Chris on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:19 pm

    navyik wrote:
    I will star a new thread when I've had some time to get my map together.  Chris, I will still need your help.

    Cool of course!

    I will make tokens for the party

    email me with map info and I can get everything into PP for you. if you find .jpegs of things you like, that is easier or I can find images
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2381
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  MAS on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:13 pm

    Hey Chris -

    Here is an icon for Red Eyed Raven

    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4913
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  Chris on Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:40 am

    token check - do these look ok?
    I have time to change, if you want to post something different.  they are obviously larger than they will be on a combat map, but I just wanted everyone to be able to see what the image is  Cool

    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3700
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  whit10 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:46 pm

    mine's good
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2697
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  navyik on Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:08 pm


    Sponsored content

    Re: Requiem for a fellowship

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:19 pm