Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Login or Register
Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Gaming Room

Dice - http://dicelog.com

D20 SRD - http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Pathfinder SRD - http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Modern SRD - http://www.d20moderndb.com/game-rules/d20-modern-srd

Pando - http://www.pando.com/

Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/


    Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Share
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:31 pm

    Clan Krogan's camp lay quiet. Warriors walked silently amongst the mammoth hide tents, guarding against incursion by Gnoll or Devil. Passing moons cast light between breaks in the clouds, throwing strange shadows across their path.

    Tungo stands guard with an elder warrior, his respected mentor, Nobok Kolag - known as The Bonebreaker. Here stands the Goliath who slew a cave lion with his bare hands when a mere apprentice tracker. Here stands the Goliath who was thought to have died a heroic death holding back a pack of Devils while the Clan escaped across the Roundstone river, only to crawl back to camp a day later - torn, bloodied, but alive. He is not normally a talkative man, and tonight, he is nearly silent. Tungo knows him well enough to know that this means something is concerning him.

    The night drags on. No enemies appear, but Nobok grows increasingly tense, grinding his teeth and muttering to himself. Tungo is about to speak when he notices that they have stopped walking their patrol.

    "The Witch wants you." growls Nobok quietly, nodding his head towards the black tent that stands at the edge of the camp. "You must go." he pauses, looks Tungo in the eye. The young barbarian is not certain if it is a trick of the shadows, but he thinks he sees fear in the storied warrior's face.

    "She sees the future Tungo. Once you set foot on the path she reveals, you cannot stray. Your life becomes like a falling rock or an arrow fired from a bow. There is no stopping it. And for every league you walk - you pay in blood."

    He clasps Tungo on the shoulder and grins. "Go now. It is time."

    Tungo makes his way towards the black tent where waits the Witch...




    Tungo stumbles from the Witch's tent just after dawn. His memory of the last few hours fades quickly, like a dream upon waking. Details elude him, but a sense of dread purpose fills him as he walks to the morning gathering around the cook fires.

    The Clan elders speak. "Warriors! Our Genasi allies seek the courage of Goliath! Who answers with Krogan steel? Who will give battle for the Clan's honor?"

    Tungo bellows a war cry and raises his axe above his head, volunteering without hesitation - committed like a falling rock or an arrow fired from a bow.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:47 pm

    When Vozz learned the truth, he was disappointed at first. Maybe he was naive to think the Arch Druid was slipping him astrology lessons, but it had been a cruel trick for his teachers to play. He sulked for a while but did not flag in his studies. Nor did he flag in his interest in the stars, moons, and their machinations.

    He does not remember precisely when the dreams began. They start as normal, scenes of nonsense and anxiety playing out as any mortal dream does. But then his point of view shifts, gradually floating higher and higher. His fears and ego fall away, and observations become precise and objective. He marks the advance of astrological events in real time, feels the shift of energy as the moons ascend and wane, senses the advance of errant comets as from afar. The sky above moves in marvelous clockwork.

    But lately, there has come a presence in his dreams that he cannot explain. Vague shadows flit behind the stars as they move. Movement sparks attention in the periphery of his senses, but when his attention shifts, it is gone. And increasingly, a feeling of...being watched.

    What lurks now in the stars?
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:24 pm

    Ronan's Druidic training takes him beyond the protective wards of the tower, for to know the ways of nature one must experience it. Under careful guidance, he learns to sense and manipulate the powers of the living prime material plane.

    Keran-in-Autumn leads him to a high place among the rocky foothills one overcast day. Their path leads them near a wandering Angel, but the Druidess deftly avoids what could have been a deadly encounter. They climb higher onto a rough cliff face overlooking the Tower and valley sprawled below.

    "See here, and attend. The Arch Druid did not build the Tower here without reason. Just like all living creatures with a body, the Living Prime Material has veins that pump blood...of a sort." She gestures broadly with her arm. "We call these veins "Ley Lines". The Tower sits upon a "nexus" - a place where many lines connect. Contemplate this as you sit in meditation on the power of life."

    Ronan nods in understanding and perches upon the rock in as he gazes at the Tower. After time, a crackling green energy becomes visible swirling around the Tower itself! It then appears to be arcing out along other avenues, just as Keran-in-Autumn described. These Ley Lines trace the same paths of the Shielding's pulsing energy. It seems obvious to Ronan that the spell that the Arch Druid cast to create the Shielding is somehow intertwined with the Ley Lines.

    "And now you see the power of the Living Prime Material. Come, the day grows late."







    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:06 pm

    A blast of cold water wakes Ali from a deep sleep. His hands are bound with a thick hemp rope, and his temples ache with a blinding headache. Even through these rude conditions, he recognizes the cavern in an instant. Old faithful. The executive suite. A man of his background and proclivities gets to know this place really well over the years. The detention cells at Coldford are like Ali's second home, schoolhouse, and professional association all in one.

    "Mornin' Al." drawls Cheif Gaolor Pon. "Howszya Head? Lookin' like you dun finally met you sum sunna bit who a step faster. Caught ya wit da red hands all over those missin tools, an all. They say it mean DA MARK this time! HA!"

    Ali is shocked! The Mark?!? Branded on the forehead and cast out from the safety of the Community wards, never to be allowed access into a safe place within The Shielding again?!?! Over some missing tools? I mean, maybe he has a few priors, but really??!? Alone outside of the wards, he'll be dead in a week - an Angel or Devil will wander along and devour him whole.

    "There may be another option, Ali Abbas Uz Amirr." says a robed man as he steps from the shadows behind the Gaolor. "If you are willing to put your...skills...to use for the good of the people, you may be spared exile. Do you think you could be convinced to take part in some small undertakings on behalf of the people of Coldford?"

    Ali is quite certain that sounds better than The Mark of Exile.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:17 pm

    The Elders of the Tower have sent for Vozz and Ronan.

    "Unnatural things are afoot in The Shielding. We have sensed an unfamiliar, evil presence - but cannot pinpoint its origins. The Genasi Communities are sending forth scouts to investigate signs that Gnollish raiders may have returned. We send you as emissaries and allies, to represent the Tower and lend aid to those without a deeper understanding of  reality. Go forth to Milling, and join our strength to theirs. Uncover this evil and send word when you have discovered its nature. Take with you this stone - which is tuned to the evil we seek to unmask. It will aid you in detecting its corruption."

    Vozz and Ronan have acquired an item!  
    SEERSTONE, small item (fits in one hand)


    Last edited by MAS on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:28 pm

    Clan Krogan wanders close to Milling, where Tungo parts ways with his clan and makes his way to the where the volunteers have been asked to gather. The Genasi eye the hulking warrior with wary eyes as he makes his way to the cavern of the speaker, far beneath the earth and safe behind many protective wards. He has never been this far underground before, and is not comfortable jammed into these tunnels and caves. He stands where there is room and waits for the meeting to begin.



    Ali is transported in chains from Coldford, but freed before being brought down into the caverns of Milling. As they walk past the giant, underground waterwheel driving the mills that give the community its name, Cheif Gaolor Pon reminds Ali sternly - "Yur last chance Al. Go along or go it alone, wit Da Mark as yer only frint." He grins a wide, toothy smirk as he points to a bench. "'Ave a seat."



    Vozz and Ronan are seated in the cavern along with a few dozen very odd people, including a huge and rather frightening Goliath lurking in the back. They all appear to be of a rougher, adventurous sort.

    A man in very official looking clothes takes a podium at the front of the cavern, and begins to speak...
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:38 pm



    A Stone Genasi, by the looks of him. His deep, gravely voice reverberates in the round cavern. He speaks in Muddle.

    "Hurm, grunch" (he is clearing his throat, or maybe finishing up chewing on a mouthful of rocks)..."I am Falken Boon, Speaker of Milling. Peace and protection be upon you, let our wards be your shelter" he says in a formal and nearly ritual tone. Most of the Genasi seated in the cavern respond "May your wards ever shield".

    Ali, Vozz, and Ronan are familiar with the formal offer and acceptance of hospitality common in the Genasi Communities, and may have responded out of habit. Tungo understands the words but is unfamiliar with the practice.

    Speaker Falken Boon looks around the room. "You have been asked here to aid in protecting the free communities of the Shielding. We fear that a surviving band of Gnollish Highlanders may have wandered south and discovered the protective wards of the Shielding. Though most of us were children or not yet born - you all know what happened the last time they came in force. The Keep was broken and we were almost overrun. These fiends will slaughter us to the last to win our wards! We cannot send the Guards away from the communities - they must be held back in case of attack. "

    He pauses, hesitates, almost as if he is afraid to ask, then steels himself.

    "What we ask is no small thing. Even in daylight, extended trips away from warded paths and communities is a dangerous thing - Gnollish or no. But without knowing what is going on out there, we are blind to whatever threat may be looming over the Communities of The Shielding. We MUST find out what is afoot!"

    "We propose that you travel in teams of four, and travel out and back to an assigned map point, as far as you can safely manage in daylight. We'll repeat this for a few days and see what we find. You all have been chosen for this task because you are skilled, talented, or experienced warriors. We think you have the best chance of surviving outside the wards. We need you! The survival of The Shielding may depend on it!"

    A moment of silence as his last words reverberate in the cavern. Then -

    "SOD THIS! SUICIDE! NO!" A few loud and raucous denials as a half dozen Genasi men and women storm out, but many hands shoot up in acceptance as the gathered adventurers step forward to meet the challenge. There are a total of 28 adventurers in the room; they quickly begin to form into small groups...

    The intent is to leave Milling at first light tomorrow, The First Honur of Kusha  

    ROLEPLAY IS "ON"!
    Do you accept (We know damn well you do!), and who do you approach?
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  navyik on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:21 am

    Ali Abbas Uz Amirr looks around carefully. He has an inkling of what could be afoot. As the feeding frenzy begins, others are rushing towards the biggest, strongest, or best equipped. They form teams of like-minded dolts who will never stop arguing over whose ideas are best. He looks for someone who is also looking around carefully. Ali often makes bad life decisions, but he understands what makes a crew. That is why he often works alone. He is not a leader, but he can't follow an ass.

    A good group can be assembled at a distance with eye contact and a nod. Catching an eye of a prospective leader, he will test that leaders awareness of subtlety and willingness to receive counsel. Another nod; the Goliath that the journeyman mercs are all fighting over. We should get him; he is more than enough muscle to complement 3 clever men. Catch his eye. Talk to him like a person. No, we don't need that guy with the heavy armour, or the guy with the big wagon. A wise man will pick up on these non-verbal cues.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4927
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Chris on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:20 am

    MAS wrote: There are a total of 28 adventurers in the room; they quickly begin to form into small groups...

    Vozz watches the school-yard antics with disdain.  Though tall, Vozz is slight of build and carries no weapons.  He remembers the feeling of being picked last for dodge-ball.  Vozz gives a nod to any others he sees that are not participating in the popularity contest.

    MAS wrote:
    "We propose that you travel in teams of four, and travel out and back to an assigned map point, as far as you can safely manage in daylight.

    Vozz heads over to study the map, which he prioritizes over the company he might keep.  He studies the different target zones.  Something about them looks familiar....  Vozz pulls out several star charts and lays them on the map table.  Can he ascertain anything about the map points from their relation to the stars?  (ie one that would have better fortune or one to avoid as an ill omen)

    Astrology +/- Insight (same roll, since both are wisdom)

    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +4" :

    16 + 4 = 20
    avatar
    MrBrownstone75

    Posts : 200
    Join date : 2015-01-05
    Age : 42
    Location : Stillman Valley, IL

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    15/20  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MrBrownstone75 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:50 am

    Ronan walks over to the tall goliath holding the double-sided axe.
    "You look to have the strength of ten bears, warrior. My companion and I could have use for you, and I think you would have much use for our company."
    Ronan motions to where Vozz is standing and reading over his charts.
    "He has the power of fire sorcery, and I can am skilled at channeling the life-giving energies of the earth. If you wish to take on the gnoll raiders, I think it would be wise for us to join forces."

    "All we would need now is..."
    Looking about the room, Ronan's gaze finally stops on a wiry air genasi.
    "A thief."
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  navyik on Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:41 pm

    Ali Abbas Uz Amirr grins at the druid and wanders over to the nerdy kid by the map.  The kid must be special to be summoned here. "So, prodigy, maybe we grown ups pick best route to claim while little boys over there fight over who has best toys? Ali Abbas Uz Amirr always say is better to work smarter than harder, you think?  You must be special; I know they take great pride in Ali Abbas Uz Amirr coming to save the world."

    Ali Abbas Uz Amirr will distract anyone else who tries to look at the map until the kid has digested it.  "Hey, are those guys giving out the good supplies out in the entrance? Doesn't look very organized...".
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:24 pm

    Vozz adjusts his charts to align with the compass points. When envisioned as an overlay, the position of the Dark Moon will fall very near....that point there! It does appear that tomorrow's Lunar void in the House of Evil does co-locate with one of the target points.

    If Vozz's theory is correct, that could indicate a hidden evil along that path!
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4927
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Chris on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:50 am

    navyik wrote:"So, prodigy, maybe we grown ups pick best route to claim while little boys over there fight over who has best toys? Ali Abbas Uz Amirr always say is better to work smarter than harder, you think?  You must be special; I know they take great pride in Ali Abbas Uz Amirr coming to save the world."

    Vozz barely notices Ali at first, he is too busy studying the maps and overlaid star charts.  Vozz checks and re-checks his work feverishly.  He has never actually had one of his hair-brained ideas line up with something.  "This means something" he whispers to himself.

    MAS wrote:Vozz adjusts his charts to align with the compass points. When envisioned as an overlay, the position of the Dark Moon will fall very near....that point there! It does appear that tomorrow's Lunar void in the House of Evil does co-locate with one of the target points.

    If Vozz's theory is correct, that could indicate a hidden evil along that path!

    He shoots Ali a wide-eyed look of "oh shit" and points to the Lunar void coordinate.  

    Vozz takes a moment to study Ali's appearance, speech and mannerisms.  Ali reminds Vozz of his cousin, Resmi, who was always getting himself in trouble.  Vozz smiles as he remembers stealing raspberries with Resmi and nearly getting caught by old man Rotherhound.  

    Vozz is further reminded of his father's advice, "If you think you are going to get into trouble, stick with the guys that always get in trouble.  They're the ones that know how to get out of it too."
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2792
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Robyo on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:07 am

    Tungo obeys the witch's orders with grim acceptance. He was always suspicious of sorcery, but the witch is highly-regarded by the clan, and who was Tungo to disagree with any of them about her premonitions? Besides, Tungo much-respects his honorable friend, Nobok..

    The young barbarian has wanted to prove himself, ever since the incident this past winter on Blackstone Mountain, when his cousin Rorax was lost in the rockslide. Tungo tried to help, but then the fiends came... Tungo may never forgive himself for what happened that day, but he desperately wants to show his worthiness to the clan elders. Despite what he thinks of the old shaman-hag (overly bossy, with bad teeth and wild eyes), Tungo acknowledges the solemn and important mission he is tasked with.

    Later, at the gathering of adventurers, Tungo listens with intensity to the stone genasi. He doesn't understand a lot of the words, particularly the ones with compound syllables, but he gathers that there will be much gnoll-slaying to be done, and a good opportunity for Tungo to prove his honour to the clan.

    Tungo shakes hands rigorously with Ronan. "Tungo agree with druid wise-man. Together we can do better to smash ugly dogfolk!"


    Last edited by Robyo on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  navyik on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:39 am

    Chris wrote:
    Vozz barely notices Ali at first, he is too busy studying the maps and overlaid star charts.  Vozz checks and re-checks his work feverishly.  He has never actually had one of his hair-brained ideas line up with something.  "This means something" he whispers to himself.

    He shoots Ali a wide-eyed look of "oh shit" and points to the Lunar void coordinate.  

    Ali Abbas Uz Amirr looks long and approvingly at the young astrologer's discovery, pretending to understand the significance. (A miserable 6 on his deception check). He does understand that the location that the kid is marking is the place they should NOT go. Under his breath, he finally concedes, "I supposing is better than mark on my forehead...". Ali Abbas Uz Amirr can be a bit of a glory hound anyway. "Okay, kiddo, (Ali is only a couple years older, but will lord it over Vozz forever), what is danger anyhow? Is end of world if we fail, no?"
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4927
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Chris on Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:21 pm

    Vozz nods towards Ronan, "I am here with a druid, who seems to have made a rather large friend."
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  navyik on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:27 am

    Chris wrote:Vozz nods towards Ronan, "I am here with a druid, who seems to have made a rather large friend."

    "Okayee, let's talk to da bosses."

    "We wanna work in this area of the map," he says to whatever kind of official he can find. "Hey, kid, whadda we're gonna call our crew?"
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:04 pm

    Sorry for the delay guys. My factory guys in China screwed up a prototype rod I am making for the Boy Scouts executives, and I've been in a flurry trying to get that straightened out so I can have samples with correct specs in time for a big meeting with them in a few weeks.

    I am tying up some loose ends at home right now, and then heading out to camp tonight and fish tomorrow. Need to clear my head.

    I'll be back tomorrow night and we'll resume then. Thanks for your patience.

    And by the way - You guys are ROCKING the role play here, I'm loving how this game is shaping up! Hope you are having fun too - once we get "caught up" in the timeline, story elements will start to lock together smoothly and we will be running full tilt!
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:43 pm

    The newly formed crews father around Speaker Boon and a small group of assistants. Most take whatever routes are assigned to them. No other crew requests the route that Vozz identified. After all of the routes are assigned, the Speaker takes the floor once again.

    "The Shielding is in your debt, just for having accepted this grave task. You will have our finest rations and fresh water waiting for your start in the morning. We will do our best to provide other equipment you may need - please ask and we will try to find something to suit."

    He looks around the room and sighs deeply. "Have you any questions?"


    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  navyik on Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:41 pm

    "How about some whiskey and women? Ali Abbas Uz Amirr has been in prison, and I thinking some of the guyss is virgins?" Ali's tone is tentative and he shrugs as if to say just saying.

    Ali will quietly pass on the festivities and be the first in line for supplies in the morning. He will look for any masterwork items, alchemy items, or potions available. If Vozz is as modest as Ali anticipates, he might be there to help the druid look for magic items. He isn't sure what the giant will find most notable among supplies. Ali guesses that barbarians are resourceful enough that Tungo will just wonder why anyone would pass on women and drink for the first shot at a pile of junk.



    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4927
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Chris on Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:04 am

    MAS wrote:Vozz adjusts his charts to align with the compass points. When envisioned as an overlay, the position of the Dark Moon will fall very near....that point there! It does appear that tomorrow's Lunar void in the House of Evil does co-locate with one of the target points.

    If Vozz's theory is correct, that could indicate a hidden evil along that path!


    Before anyone leaves for the evening, Vozz points out his findings to Ronan (who was with Tungo). It troubles Vozz that no crew will be investigating potentially the most dangerous route.

    If Ali and Tungo are there as well, he will push through his own fear to suggest, "Perhaps we identified this for a reason? I... I don't feel right just leaving this hidden evil. It makes me feel.... like a coward."

    Vozz looks to the others and tries to sound encouraging, "The first step in avoiding a trap, is knowing that it is there, right?"
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  navyik on Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:25 am

    "eess okayee, my friend." He pats Vozz on the butt. "Ali Abbas Uz Amirr asked for the route you wanted. Is ours for the taking! Glory, Fame, treasure! Women will be demanding to have your babies! Tungo will be chief, and Ronan will be... stuck standing on the top of the tower...". He shrugs in resignation figuring that is what Druids must aspire to. Ali Abbas Uz Amirr will retire and let servants feed him grapes while he lounges on a cushion!"

    (The DM did not say we were assigned a different route. He said MOST of the others just took what they were assigned and no-one else asked for the one we wanted).
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2792
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Robyo on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:01 am

    Tungo is pleased to be a part of his new group of cohorts. Though obviously weaklings, they appear very wise, perhaps even quick-witted. These are ideals that Tungo struggles with. He realizes he is dim, but that fact only forces him to excel in the other abilities which he is gifted with. And it seems that strength and stature are highly-regarded assets among the djinn-kin. Tungo recalls in his home clan, he is often among the last to be chosen in team sports such as Boulder Dash or Goat Smear. Now it feels good to be chosen first and respected.

    But Tungo will not let these feelings of adequacy go to his head. He will talk little, so as not to betray his simple mind.

    Tungo is amazed how Vozz can read the map with so many puzzling words and symbols strewn across it. Or that this (obviously sketchy) Ali fellow can so quickly plan the details of their expedition. Many good ideas, but where are the Goliath women?

    "It is custom of my people, before a party of hunters departs for the Open Lands, they share a toast of rockwine. You have some rockwine around here?"
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  navyik on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:30 am

    Goat Smear? lol!

    "Yeah! We want some rock wine!"
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4927
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Chris on Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:26 pm

    lol! Boulder Dash - I remember that card game from 20 yrs ago!
    avatar
    MrBrownstone75

    Posts : 200
    Join date : 2015-01-05
    Age : 42
    Location : Stillman Valley, IL

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    15/20  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MrBrownstone75 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:13 pm

    MAS wrote:
    Before anyone leaves for the evening, Vozz points out his findings to Ronan (who was with Tungo).  It troubles Vozz that no crew will be investigating potentially the most dangerous route.  

    If Ali and Tungo are there as well, he will push through his own fear to suggest, "Perhaps we identified this for a reason?   I... I don't feel right just leaving this hidden evil.  It makes me feel.... like a coward."

    Vozz looks to the others and tries to sound encouraging, "The first step in avoiding a trap, is knowing that it is there, right?"


    Ronan sees the alignment of the dark moon as Vozz points it out on his chart.
    "Yes, this means rough waters ahead, but that doesn't mean we will fail. We will simply proceed more cautiously."

    Ronan explains to Tungo (in Goliath) that our sorcerer has discovered a battle omen - "the path that lies before us tomorrow will be rife with danger, but filled with glory if we succeed."

    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:48 pm

    The other adventurers gather around the Speaker to ask questions, preparing themselves to best survive the trials ahead of them.

    Meanwhile, the party declines the opportunity to gather further information and wanders out of the chamber discussing booze and potential debauchery.

    The next morning, all of the adventurers gather at Milling's main gate. Speaker Falken Boon, several assistants, and a handful of guards stand ready to bid them all farewell.




    Last chance to request specific standard, non-magical, non-masterwork equipment before we cut back to "now". If it is on the "Adventuring Gear" table in the PHB, you can request it.

    avatar
    MrBrownstone75

    Posts : 200
    Join date : 2015-01-05
    Age : 42
    Location : Stillman Valley, IL

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    15/20  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MrBrownstone75 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:08 pm

    Ronan doesn't need any more gear, but would like to prepare spells: Goodberry and Entangle
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  navyik on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:21 am

    MAS wrote:

    Last chance to request specific standard, non-magical, non-masterwork equipment before we cut back to "now".  If it is on the "Adventuring Gear" table in the PHB, you can request it.


    Healing potions are on that list.  Ali would like several!  cheers
    Otherwise, healers kit?
    Spyglass would be nice.  cyclops
    Rapier

    Actually, Ali came here in chains, so he probably needs his whole list from the character sheet.

    "And I want a goat!"


    Last edited by navyik on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4927
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Chris on Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:54 am

    Vozz prepared an itemized list during the evening:

    Potion of Healing x4 (one for each party member)

    Acid flask x2

    Alchemists flask x2

    Abacus (just cuz he always wanted one as a kid)

    Antitoxin vial x4 (1 for each)

    Map of the area

    Map case

    book, blank - to record notes

    ink well

    pen

    caltrops - why not?

    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:45 pm

    Healing potions are on that list.  Ali would like several!  cheers

    "And I want a goat!"

    GM's mistake - I was looking under "Healing Potion" and didn't see it was listed.

    No potions of healing gentlemen.

    You can find "goats" listed under "Rations, 1 day". Wink

    Waiting for Tungo to chime in before we continue.
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2705
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  navyik on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:54 pm

    He wants to see a round of goat Smear first hand...
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2792
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Robyo on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:17 am

    Goat Smear requires a whole herd of goats. That is, if you want to play by league rules. Also requires a wide rock face and plenty of large boulders.


    Sorry, but additional gear after we've already started off the adventure, kinda puts a damper on my inner need for story-plot linearity. Despite that, I was gonna request 4 healing potions too, but yeah, nevermind.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4927
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Chris on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:15 am

    Robyo wrote:
    Sorry, but additional gear after we've already started off the adventure, kinda puts a damper on my inner need for story-plot linearity.

    Q: How little do you mortals understand time. Must you be so linear, Jean-Luc?

    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2792
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Robyo on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:44 pm

    There's a new Star Trek rpg in the works: http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-adventures-roleplaying-game-in-development  Uses the 2d20 system...?

    I've been wanting to run some episodic Star Trek for awhile now. The only d20 versions are fan-made, which is fine. But it seems like when Starfinder hits next year, it should be able to cover Trek.

    Alternity is getting a re-release next year too. So, lots of sci-fi coming out!
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4927
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Chris on Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:39 pm

    Cool!  I am excited about the Trek show, Discovery.  Although I have to say the Discovery looks quite a bit like the old Klingon D-7 Battle Cruisers



    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2398
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  MAS on Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:59 pm

    The party (and the other adventurers) take what equipment is available and wait anxiously, talking amongst themselves as they wait. A guard peers out of a lookout waiting for the first rays of light. Suddenly he cries out "DAYLIGHT!".

    The low murmur of talking stops. Stone grinds against stone as the main gate rolls open. Everyone seems frozen for a moment...

    "Go now, and good luck!" Shouts Speaker Boon. The sound of his loud, booming voice snaps everyone out of their haze - and the adventures burst forth from Milling.

    The party moves quickly to pick up the trail indicated by Vozz's augury. With luck, they travel for several hours and encounter no Angels. Around the 4th hour of travel, Ronan discovers tracks he is certain are Gnollish!




    AND - we are caught up - Please return to thread Foul Portents
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4927
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Chris on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:37 pm

    MAS wrote:The party (and the other adventurers) take what equipment is available and wait anxiously, talking amongst themselves as they wait.

    so did we get everything on our list, minus the heal pots?

    Sponsored content

    Re: Prelude: Spinning into alignment

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:07 pm