Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Login or Register
Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Gaming Room

Dice - http://dicelog.com

D20 SRD - http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Pathfinder SRD - http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Modern SRD - http://www.d20moderndb.com/game-rules/d20-modern-srd

Pando - http://www.pando.com/

Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/


    Signals and Alarm

    Share
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:31 pm



    The party deliberates and then hatches a bold plan to light the signal fire. They set traps and arrange themselves in ambush. Vozz blasts the newly repaired bonfire, and despite the wood having recently been soaked in copious amounts of creek water, a flame takes hold, and over the course of a few minutes begins to burn merrily. Thick rolls of black smoke rocket skyward until a tower of black climbs above the canopy. The ambushers wait grimly for their foe to appear.

    And wait. And wait. And wait. After all - they did estimate that the haze of camp smoke they observed was another few hours of travel away. Logic would follow that it might take that long for a response to arrive, if one was forthcoming...

    After over an hour of waiting, nerves begin to quiet and boredom sets in. Focus beings to flag. The gurgling sound of the stream, the rustling of the wind through the trees, the chatter of birds. It blends together into a background melody that is nearly a lullaby.

    If anyone has taken steps to conceal themselves, give me a stealth check.
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Robyo on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:22 am

    Tungo Stealth check: 20 + 4 = 24

    Perception: 18 + 2 = 20
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  navyik on Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:49 pm

    Stealth for Ali:   20+7=27

    Would the spyglass give Ali advantage for perception? If so, perception 16+5=21. If not, then 5+5=10 (Probably feeling drowsy).

    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Chris on Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:52 pm

    is there a "take 20" since we have an hour or more? or did you both just roll natural 20s??

    Vozz will again make an illusion of thick brambles, as a natural extension of his surroundings and crouch "inside" the 3D illusion, so he is covered from all angles.

    Spell: minor illusion

    take 20, if that is an option

    otherwise, a roll + ? for the illusion of cover

    Result of the throw of dice "1d20" :

    16
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  navyik on Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:15 pm

    I rolled a 20
    avatar
    MrBrownstone75

    Posts : 200
    Join date : 2015-01-05
    Age : 42
    Location : Stillman Valley, IL

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    15/20  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MrBrownstone75 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:29 pm

    Stealth Check: 4+4=8
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:55 pm

    FYI - I am leaving for New Orleans on Monday, and will be driving late so no posting that night. I should be able to check in and post on Tuesday. Weds-Saturday I'll do my best but may be sporadic.

    This is the first "big show" with the Boy Scouts. Over a thousand executives in one place and we are going in hot. We finally secured official confirmation this week that the style of fishing we sell gear for is being added to the fly fishing merit badge next year - and NONE of our competition knows about it yet. BOOM! Things are gettin' real!




    No, there is no "take 20" in 5e - BUT If I was paying attention I should have just told you all that you have advantage for your stealth rolls. So for the sake of expediency here we will consider everyone's roll sufficient for the task and move on.




    Despite the tranquil and almost hypnotic environment, the companions keep out of sight and their focus forward.

    They hear it before they see it. A loud voice, clear, and singing! It is pleasant, upbeat, and never seems to miss a note. The song is a long one and the singer seems to be changing from language to language between verses.

    Soon the source of the song comes into sight - a glowing orb of light around 3 ft in diameter,  merrily bouncing to the beat as it flys straight towards where the party lies in ambush.






    It is about 120 ft away, to the North. It will reach the area F/24 in about 10-15 seconds at its current rate of travel.

    We are NOT currently in initiative.

    Actions/Questions?
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Robyo on Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:05 am

    Good luck on the conference, Matt!

    Tungo rolled a 20, then an 18.

    In 5e, there's no Take 20 or Take 10, only Passive Checks, which is equivalent to a Take 10, so far as a skill check out of combat (no need to roll).

    Tungo attempts a knowledge check about the strange glowing orb (Nature): 2 + 1 = 3

    Tungo seems to recall that he loves the night life, he wants to boogie, yeah, on the di-i-sco rouuuund...
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Chris on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:33 am

    Vozz wonders what this strange thing could be....

    knowledge arcana?

    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +5" :

    12 + 5 = 17
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  navyik on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:12 am

    Ali Abbas Uz Amirr thinks it is an angel.  That is what he will tell people, even in the face of incontrovertible evidence that it is not.  He keeps his hiding place, but in his story he will say that he was spotted and cleverly evaded it.  (He already almost believes this story now an he will be sure of it in a few minutes).
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Chris on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:07 am

    navyik wrote:Ali Abbas Uz Amirr thinks it is an angel.  That is what he will tell people, even in the face of incontrovertible evidence that it is not.  He keeps his hiding place, but in his story he will say that he was spotted and cleverly evaded it.  (He already almost believes this story now an he will be sure of it in a few minutes).

    affraid Ali is Ryan?? lol!
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:31 pm

    Chris wrote:
    navyik wrote:Ali Abbas Uz Amirr thinks it is an angel.  That is what he will tell people, even in the face of incontrovertible evidence that it is not.  He keeps his hiding place, but in his story he will say that he was spotted and cleverly evaded it.  (He already almost believes this story now an he will be sure of it in a few minutes).

    affraid Ali is Ryan??  lol!

    ROFL! Ha, you're killing me!




    Tungo has NO clue what this might be.

    Vozz recalls some relevant lore - There is a lesser Angelic being that is described as having similar appearances, known as a "Lantern".

    Ali watches from concealment and daydreams spectacular and heroic outcomes to this encounter....




    We are NOT in initiative. The creature continues along its path, singing, seemingly oblivious to the party's presence. It will reach the area F/24 in about 5-6 seconds at its current rate of travel.

    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Chris on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:54 pm

    MAS wrote:
    Vozz recalls some relevant lore - There is a lesser Angelic being that is described as having similar appearances, known as a "Lantern".

    "An angel?!?" Vozz thinks to himself as he freezes in terror.  Vozz's logical mind knows that of the choices: fight, flight or freeze that freeze is always the worst choice.  Nonetheless, he freezes in place watching his doom as it merrily bobs along towards him.
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  navyik on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:07 am

    bounce. Ali Abbas Uz Amirr really has to pee...
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Robyo on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:01 am

    Tungo tries desperately (while staying as stealthy as possible) to blow at a mosquito which has landed on the top of his bulbous nose...
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:27 pm

    The Lantern bobs into proximity, singing as it goes. Just as it passes the area near the rocks, a chorus of snarling, rabid howls erupt from behind the party! A pack of Gnolls in orange and black tartan kilts rush forward and launch a hail of arrows at the Lantern. Three seem to pass through harmlessly, but one causes a distinct red flash as it lands.

    Let's see initiative rolls!

    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  navyik on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:33 pm

    Initiative. 10+3=13
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Robyo on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:23 am

    Tungo Initiative: 7 + 2 = 9
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Chris on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:37 am

    Initiative
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20" :

    6


    Vozz notes that these gnolls wear Orange and Black (orange is the new black, he has heard), while the former gnolls wore blue and black.  Vozz wonders if this has some meaning, to differentiate squads or if they come from different tribes..... there is so much that Vozz just doens't understand about the world.  

    "Maybe the lantern thing will be an ally against the gnolls?"  Vozz muses to himself
    avatar
    MrBrownstone75

    Posts : 200
    Join date : 2015-01-05
    Age : 42
    Location : Stillman Valley, IL

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    15/20  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MrBrownstone75 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:48 pm

    Initiative roll: 15+2=17
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:13 pm

    Ronan  = 17
    Gnolls = 15
    Ali = 13
    Tungo = 9
    Lantern = 7
    Vozz = 6

    Please remember stat blocks as before.

    Ronan is up
    avatar
    MrBrownstone75

    Posts : 200
    Join date : 2015-01-05
    Age : 42
    Location : Stillman Valley, IL

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    15/20  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MrBrownstone75 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:42 pm

    Ronan
    AC: 16
    HP: 5/10
    Move: 35*
    Perception: 13

    Ronan is going to remain hidden and wait for the gnolls to approach.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:56 pm

    "Sadusu! Sadusu! Sadusu!"

    The Highlanders howl and chant as they knock black-fletched arrows, launching them in a savage volley at the hovering Lantern. Two make their mark, and the Angel flashes red, then rings a dissonant tone like a broken bell might toll when struck.


    • Ronan can take his turn now, ready an action, or choose to delay it till the end of the round.


    • Ali is on deck.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:03 pm

    Ali can proceed, Ronan can post an action that will take place concurrently.
    Tungo is on deck
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  navyik on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:20 pm

    While the Gnolls are chanting, Ali fires an arrow from hiding.

    With advantage, 19+5=24
    Damage 2+3 +5 snk att=10

    Ali quickly ducks back down if that is allowed.

    Stealth 19+7=26
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Robyo on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:38 pm

    Tungo stays hidden, awaiting the gnolls' approach.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:05 pm

    navyik wrote:While the Gnolls are chanting, Ali fires an arrow from hiding.  

    With advantage, 19+5=24
    Damage 2+3 +5 snk att=10

    Ali quickly ducks back down if that is allowed.

    Stealth 19+7=26

    Ali needs to designate a target for his attack.




    Also - we are in combat - so you need to be designating an action when your turn comes up. You can

    A) Declare action and take your turn

    or

    B) Ready (PDF pg 193)

    Sometimes you want to get the jump on a foe or wait for
    a particular circumstance before you act. To do so, you
    can take the Ready action on your turn so that you can
    act later in the round using your reaction.
    First, you decide what perceivable circumstance
    will trigger your reaction. Then, you choose the action
    you will take in response to that trigger, or you choose
    to move up to your speed in response to it. Examples
    include “If the cultist steps on the trapdoor, I’ll pull the
    lever that opens it,” and “If the goblin steps next to me,
    I move away.”
    When the trigger occurs, you can either take your
    reaction right after the trigger finishes or ignore
    the trigger. Remember that you can take only one
    reaction per round.
    When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but
    hold its energy, which you release with your reaction
    when the trigger occurs. To be readied, a spell must
    have a casting time o f 1 action, and holding onto the
    spell’s magic requires concentration (explained in
    chapter 10). If your concentration is broken, the spell
    dissipates without taking effect. For example, if you are
    concentrating on the web spell and ready magic missile,
    your web spell ends, and if you take damage before
    you release magic missile with your reaction, your
    concentration might be broken.

    or

    C) Skip your turn




    Ali needs to designate a target, Tungo needs to decide if he is going to "Ready" or "Skip", Ronan is currently being counted as a "Skip".

    Once those items are cleared, the Lantern acts and Vozz closes the round.
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  navyik on Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:51 pm

    D-1
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Robyo on Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:56 pm

    Tungo will be Ready to attack any gnolls that enter the kill zone. Otherwise, he waits and sees...
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:59 pm

    Ali draws cautiously draws a bead from his hidden position, then calmly lets it fly. The arrow strikes center mass in a Gnollish warrior, who snarls in surprise and anger as it buries itself a full half length into his chest. It appears solidly struck.

    Tungo crouches in ambush waiting for a target to wander into the rocks where he plans to engage in melee...

    Ali is now visible to the pack of fighters, their gaze turns quickly from the Lantern to the position where once he hid*. But not for long!

    The Lantern pulses rapidly like a strobe as it zooms forward. Even now, it sings, its voice like a chorus of valkyries marching to battle!

    As it nears the pack of fiendish warriors, it pauses and launches a blinding burst of light that burns a fist size hole through the arrow-stricken Gnoll's face. It collapses in an expired heap of singed dog-man meat.

    A voice rings clear as bell in Ali and Vozz's mind, spoken in Muddle. "Ally, I implore your haste - for I am direly stricken!"




    *Ali cannot attempt to hide after his attack because he is in direct LOS. He would need to break LOS in order to "re-hide".




    Vozz is up to close the round. map is current

    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Chris on Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:36 am

    Vozz will target Gnoll 3. He will adjust his position if DM determines he needs better LoS\LoE to the target, but they appear to be within 90ft

    Blue mystical symbols float around Vozz in astral space as he carefully weaves thought, intention and energy into a manifest incantation of unconsciousness.....

    Sleep spell, target Gnoll 3, it can affect others within 20ft, no save

    Sl e e p
    1st-level enchantment
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 90 feet
    Components: V, S, M (a pinch o f fine sand, rose petals,
    or a cricket)
    Duration: 1 minute
    This spell sends creatures into a magical slumber.
    Roll 5d8; the total is how many hit points o f creatures
    this spell can affect. Creatures within 20 feet of
    a point you choose within range are affected in
    ascending order of their current hit points (ignoring
    unconscious creatures).
    Starting with the creature that has the lowest current
    hit points, each creature affected by this spell falls
    unconscious until the spell ends, the sleeper takes
    damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the
    sleeper awake. Subtract each creature’s hit points from
    the total before moving on to the creature with the next
    lowest hit points. A creature’s hit points must be equal
    to or less than the remaining total for that creature
    to be affected.
    Undead and creatures immune to being charmed
    aren’t affected by this spell.


    Result of the throw of dice "5d8" :

    4 + 8 + 8 + 5 + 5 = 30
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Robyo on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:25 pm

    Nice one, Chris! Sleep is definitely one of the more powerful spells in 5e at low level.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:19 pm

    Vozz covers the Gnoll's consciousness in mystical sedation, and the warrior falls to the ground snoring like a sleeping dog.




    ROUND 2!

    Ronan is up, map is current



    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:27 pm

    Ronan remains hidden and is a SKIP for now.
    I'm going to suggest that a party member take Ronan's action at the end of the round if Bronson does not respond. I'll try to get in touch with him and check to see if he is going to continue, if not we'll let another party member "steer" him until the party returns to Milling.




    "BaSterd Angel!" growls one of the Gnolls still on his feet - "AMBUSH!" roars the other.

    One fires another black-fletched arrow at the Lantern and misses, the other shoots his at Ali and connects with the nearby boulder instead.

    Simultaneously, two more orange kilt-clad warriors emerge from the tangled brush near 21 S/T. They raise a wicked, high-pitched howl - which is answered by many calls from farther north!

    Map is current.

    Ali is up
    Tungo is on deck
    Lantern, then Vozz

    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  navyik on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:38 am

    Ali takes a shot with the bow at #2. 18+5=23 to attack
    2+3=5 dmg

    Hoping to draw the dogmen into the trap, Ali scampers back over the rocks and down at J-17 to hide in the brush.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:28 pm

    Ali's arrows continue to fly true, his shot landing a hit as intended. He falls back across the difficult terrain, dropping behind the boulders, breaking LOS on his targets.  

    Tungo is up, map is current
    Lantern acts, then Vozz on deck, and a party member can take Ronan's actions (first come first serve) actions to close the round.

    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Robyo on Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:01 pm

    I alerted Bronson on Friday evening that Ronan's turn was up. So he is aware. Maybe he's lost interest.


    Tungo will stay put, and continues to wait in case any gnolls enter the kill zone. Hold action, trigger to act is if any gnolls enter "the trap."
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:19 pm

    Robyo wrote:I alerted Bronson on Friday evening that Ronan's turn was up. So he is aware. Maybe he's lost interest.


    Tungo will stay put, and continues to wait in case any gnolls enter the kill zone. Hold action, trigger to act is if any gnolls enter "the trap."

    Rob - I'd like you to define the exact area of "the trap" please. Four corner coordinates or draw it in please.
    avatar
    MrBrownstone75

    Posts : 200
    Join date : 2015-01-05
    Age : 42
    Location : Stillman Valley, IL

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    15/20  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MrBrownstone75 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:28 pm

    Ronan
    AC: 16
    HP: 5/10
    Move: 35*
    Perception: 13

    Ronan remains hidden in the thick brush and throws his javelin at one of the gnolls (I-1).
    Since this is past normal range, the attack is made at disadvantage.

    Rolls: 10 and 18 (+4) = 14
    If that hit, Ronan does 3 damage.

    Since Ronan was born under the sign of the Skulker, he remains hidden after the attack.
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Robyo on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:42 am

    MAS wrote:Rob - I'd like you to define the exact area of "the trap" please. Four corner coordinates or draw it in please.

    I'm an idiot with photoshop, so don't know how to draw it in (would love to get a tutorial sometime, though). The trap zone is just inside the rock formation. Let's say coordinates are: J-18 (NW corner), R-17 (NE), Q-11 (SE), and M-11 (SW). Recall also that NW has the pit trap dug (and covered with brush) and SW has the snare trap laid.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:47 pm

    No worries. I do everything in Powerpoint - which if you do not have, you can duplicate similar capabilities for free in Google Slides. For any of these systems, there are tons of free tutorials all over the web - including videos on Youtube. But I could easily show you the ropes some Sunday, too.



    Tungo maintains the discipline of the stalking cave lion, waiting to pounce when its prey appears.

    The cacophony of canine howls to the north grows...their howls echo through the trees and crash into the clearing like a rabid wave...The clearing becomes a strange mix of beautiful, powerful singing as the Lantern continues its song and the wicked, high-pitched howls and yips of the approaching Gnollish warriors. The Lantern reaches a crescendo, and shoots another white-hot beam of light towards the most recently wounded Gnoll, this time burning a hole straight through its heart.

    Vozz is up to close the round - and someone can take Ronan's action for him if they like. Map is current.

    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  navyik on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:20 pm

    Ronan acted:

    MrBrownstone75 wrote:Ronan
    AC: 16
    HP: 5/10
    Move: 35*
    Perception: 13

    Ronan remains hidden in the thick brush and throws his javelin at one of the gnolls (I-1).
    Since this is past normal range, the attack is made at disadvantage.

    Rolls: 10 and 18 (+4) = 14
    If that hit, Ronan does 3 damage.

    Since Ronan was born under the sign of the Skulker, he remains hidden after the attack.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Chris on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:29 am

    sorry for the delay, I was in Denver for work for a couple days.....

    Vozz continues to pull energy from the Astral Plane and hurls it at gnoll 4 in the form of a firebolt.  Vozz then moves forward and attempts to hide behind the large scrub\tree at P-6

    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +5" :

    18 + 5 = 23

    if that hits, damage:
    Result of the throw of dice "1d10" :

    2


    F ir e B o l t
    Evocation cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 120 feet
    Components: V, S
    Duration: Instantaneous
    You hurl a mote o f fire at a creature or object within
    range. Make a ranged spell attack against the
    target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 fire damage. A
    flammable object hit by this spell ignites if it isn't being
    worn or carried.
    This spell’s damage increases by 1d10 when you reach
    5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:41 pm

    No worries - my laptop was down with the windows update & Crash into the blue screen of death cycle for two days anyway.




    Ronan throws his javelin while doing his best to stay hidden, which does little to aid his aim. The weapon wobbles wide, splashing into the stream. The Druid, ever talented at remaining unseen, stays well hidden.

    A shower of glowing red hot embers flys from Vozz's outstretched hand and strikes the 4th Gnoll Warrior. It yelps in surprise but appears steadfast if not a covered in streaks of soot.

    Harsh shouting and chanting in Gnollish, and the barking of dogs grows louder by the moment...

    "Sadusu! Sadusu! Sadusu!"


    ROUNDS 3 begins, map is current -

    Ronan  = 17 is up
    Gnolls = 15
    Ali = 13
    Tungo = 9
    Lantern = 7
    Vozz = 6
    avatar
    MrBrownstone75

    Posts : 200
    Join date : 2015-01-05
    Age : 42
    Location : Stillman Valley, IL

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    15/20  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MrBrownstone75 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:41 pm

    Ronan
    AC: 16
    HP: 5/10
    Move: 35*
    Perception: 13

    Fuck it - throwing another javelin... gnoll @(I-1).
    Attack rolls: 11 and 20 (+4) = 15

    On a hit that will inflict 5+2=7 damage

    Remaining hidden What a Face
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:29 pm

    Ronan lobs another javelin over the boulders - it scores a hit! The Gnoll is burned and pierced but still on his feet, the gleam of a fanatic in his eyes. He shakes his head as if to clear it and shouts -

    "SADUSU"!




    Ronan's attack being successful, he is no longer hidden.




    Gnoll warrior 4 launches another black-fletched arrow at the lantern, and it sails harmlessly past. He then tosses his bow to the ground and charges towards the Lantern, howling like a rabid beast!

    Warrior 5 lopes forward cautiously towards the rock piles, then catches sight of Ali across the way. He turns and snaps off a shot with his longbow...Warrior 6 advances alongside his pack-mate, hops up onto the rocks, and also fires his bow at Ali! (The first target that came into sight).

    His infamous luck holds! Both arrows skitter across the rocks near his feet.

    The woods to the north boil with the sound of approaching Gnollish warriors and hunting beasts!

    Map is current.

    Ali = 13 is up
    Tungo = 9
    Lantern = 7
    Vozz = 6

    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  navyik on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:40 pm

    Ali sneaks to H 19  (18+7=25 stealth) and fires around the corner at the gnoll attacking the lantern.

    Natural 20. I don't know what to do with that in 5e...

    20+5=25 to hit
    1+3=4 damage +5 sneak attack=10

    Ali will give one last look back at the gnolls who just shot at him and rub his crotch disrespectfully, (manipulate object?), laughing at them.  Then he will go around the corner to G_17 breaking los with them.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:58 pm

    navyik wrote:Ali sneaks to H 19  (18+7=25 stealth) and fires around the corner at the gnoll attacking the lantern.

    Natural 20. I don't know what to do with that in 5e...

    20+5=25 to hit
    1+3=4 damage +5 sneak attack=10

    Ali will give one last look back at the gnolls who just shot at him and rub his crotch disrespectfully, (manipulate object?), laughing at them.  Then he will go around the corner to G_17 breaking los with them.

    PHB pg 194
    "If the d20 roll for an attack is a 20, the attack hits
    regardless o f any modifiers or the target’s AC. In
    addition, the attack is a critical hit"
    PHB pg 196
    "When you score a critical hit, you get to roll extra dice
    for the attack’s damage against the target. Roll all of the
    attack’s damage dice twice and add them together. Then
    add any relevant modifiers as normal"

    I'll just double your roll for the sake of expediency.



    Ali slips deftly around the rock pile, clinging near the boulders just outside of what he hopes is Warrior 4's attention. He draws back and lets fly an arrow - which drills straight through the Highlander's right eye, spinning his head as he drops face down in the creek.

    Ali clearly hears the sound of many barking hounds to north up the path behind him.

    Tungo is up = 9
    Lantern = 7
    Vozz = 6

    Map is current

    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Robyo on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:32 pm

    Tungo continues to wait until any enemies enter the kill zone. Then he will spring! In the meantime, the rage in him continues to boil. He hopes he is not losing honour in the eyes of his companions. "Patience, patience..." he mutters to himself, still hiding.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  MAS on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:48 pm

    Tungo shows more restraint than he has ever displayed in his life, his singular focus on the trap he has set seems to smother the rest of senses...

    The Lantern continues it's song of righteous battle, and starts to climb higher in a spiraling ascent until it has risen above the tree tops. Suddenly it's song abruptly stops. It dives quickly back down into the clearing, and trumpets a clarion shout that the entire party can hear -

    "RUN, BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!"

    It then rockets southward in a blur of bright, clear light.

    Vozz = 6 is up

    Map is current


    Sponsored content

    Re: Signals and Alarm

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:56 pm