Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Login or Register
Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Gaming Room

Dice - http://dicelog.com

D20 SRD - http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Pathfinder SRD - http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Modern SRD - http://www.d20moderndb.com/game-rules/d20-modern-srd

Pando - http://www.pando.com/

Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/


    Stuck in traffic

    Share
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:43 pm

    The rainbow kaleidoscope continues to spin around each of you separately.  You feel yourself slam into something soft and leathery....

    study based on your saves, you all find yourself in the back section of this vehicle.  each of you are in your own row of seats as follows:





    Brick Rockman is in the first row, his knees comically pressed up into his chest, as he is far too big for the seats.  He is DAZED for 1 rd.
    Brick can see wild, scruffy grey hair sticking out from under a black hat, from the back of the driver's head.  Looking forward, Brick sees the following:



    traffic is moving along at a very slow pace (and not flying)


    Korvaq is in the next row.  He is sitting up and otherwise fine, if a bit disorientated.  He also sees the bridge and traffic ahead.  He can see a large man that doesn't fit in the row ahead of him.

    Zang is the 3rd row, with Skree in the 4th.  Zang is lying prone across the seat, but is otherwise ok.  He is looking up at a canvas roof of some kind of vehicle.  He can see the suspension cables of the bridge above him.

    Skree is also prone and dazed in the 4th row.

    Argul is in the last row.  (I made saves for him to speed it up).  He is sitting up, but immediately pukes onto the floor in front of himself from nausea.  He can see the bridge and traffic ahead.  

    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    The driver turns his head around to look at his passengers.  He doesn't seem alarmed at all.  



    Had Brick ever paid attention to his chauffeur Ion, he might have noticed a resemblance.  

    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


    Take a moment to describe yourself and your initial reaction to this strange place for the others.
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3647
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  whit10 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:00 pm

    "what in the name of Kayless is going on?" (in Klingon, so probably gibberish to everyone else)

    Profile picture is what he looks like. 6'4", armored but with a robe over his shoulders. Korvaq is carrying all sorts of gizmos but only two weapons.

    If he can tell the driver is human: "Human... what is this?"
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  navyik on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:42 pm

    The large dazed man jammed into the front row appears to be confused, almost like a man awakened from sleeping off a bender in a strange place.  Sitting up with a start, he bends the back of the seat and puts his head through the soft roof of the shuttle.  "I'm awake, I wasn't sleeping!" He looks around at his new companions and the driver vacantly.  After his limmo was damaged, Steve must have put him in the shuttle to get to the arena?  But why don't I remember?  "Clearly the front row is reserved for distinguished passengers," he mumbles.  "Driver, how soon will we reach the arena?" It's a demand more than a question.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  MAS on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:14 am

    Argul is short but broad-shouldered, dressed in an antiquated charcoal colored wool suit. He clutches a gentleman's walking cane in one hand. He blinks his eyes rapidly taking in the strange new scene, then takes a few deep, slow breaths.

    "It was indeed a trap" he thinks silently. "Nothing for it now."

    He sits quietly and observes his fellow passengers. Lights a cigar. Waits.




    GM - are we starting "as fully rested" as far as spell slots and such?

    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Robyo on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:07 am

    A usually rather somber looking robot, dressed in leather armor and covered in a tattered druidic robe, Zangulor looks around at the vehicle and companions in wonder.

    "By Zyr! What strange magic is this?"

    Then to Skree who is making excited vocalizations, he responds in the dino tongue, "No old friend, you can't eat them yet. We need to know who they are first."


    Last edited by Robyo on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  navyik on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:19 am

    Finally Brick Rockman comes around and realized something is amiss.  He leans casually, crumpling more metal and shifting the balance of the shuttle causing the driver to swerve a little.  Just in case this IS a publicity stunt, Brick speaks to an invisible audience.  "I, BRICK Rockman will attempt to communicate with these primative life forms..."
      Speaking back to the passengers, Brick pounds his chest with magnanimous charm and patronizing inclusiveness.  "Me-oh, Brick Rockman-oh.  What-oh is-oh your-oh name-oh?!". He speaks very loudly to be sure to break any language barriers.
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3647
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  whit10 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:25 am

    "Qaj" (animal) - to Brick


    "Driver? Are you going to answer?"
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  navyik on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:28 am

    "Very nice-oh to meet-ey you Qaj," Brick replies in an overly friendly manner.
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3647
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  whit10 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:32 am

    "the word means animal, human. Or do you actually know how to speak your language?"

    Korvaq is getting quite angry now and will draw his disrupter and point it at the driver - "answer my question human or I'll disintegrate you"
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:10 pm

    study great roleplaying and descriptions so far!   Alan, can you give us a physical description of Brick, like clothing, gear?  thanks!  or just post a picture

    Josh, chill and give the GM a chance to respond  lol!




    The driver calls back, still not phased by the situation, "Hold yer horses, bone-face, I am trying to drive and not get you all in a wreck.  Rogers said I might have some new faces, but the least you could all try to do is BLEND IN a bit.  You're going to get us all killed!"

    Traffic is still moving forward, but slowly.  Cars are cutting in and out, jockeying for position in the fastest moving lanes.  

    The group notices that there are 2 small kids in a minivan to the left that are pointing excitedly at the giant Brick.  3 rough looking guys on motorcycles slightly behind and to the right have also taken notice.  





    Everyone in the group feels a sensation of dread.  It's a cold feeling, deep in your bones.  The hair (if you have any) stands up on the back on your necks.  Something just doesn't feel right, though you can't place an obvious threat.  Maybe it's just from the strange form of travel... but you sense it is something else, something terrifying, something out of a nightmare you had as a child....  

    Does anyone try to "blend in" as the driver suggest?  (I'll tell you what to roll)

    Or take another action?
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3647
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  whit10 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:12 pm

    Klingons don't have nightmares. Wink

    Korvaq looks at the driver still somewhat menacingly... "grrr.. that response is acceptable... for now. Where are we?" (he takes his seat and puts his hood up over his head)
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:22 pm

    whit10 wrote:Klingons don't have nightmares. Wink

    Korvaq looks at the driver still somewhat menacingly... "grrr.. that response is acceptable... for now.  Where are we?" (he takes his seat and puts his hood up over his head)

    Is that an attempt to blend in or is his intention something else?
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3647
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  whit10 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:40 pm

    blend in for now. He doesn't exactly have any other ways to do so (unless you want a Stealth roll)
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:47 pm

    Chris wrote:
    Does anyone try to "blend in" as the driver suggest?  (I'll tell you what to roll)


    Chris wrote:
    whit10 wrote: (he takes his seat and puts his hood up over his head)

    Is that an attempt to blend in or is his intention something else?

    study hint... hint...

    whit10 wrote:blend in for now.  He doesn't exactly have any other ways to do so (unless you want a Stealth roll)

    study As I said, I will tell you what to roll if you try to blend in.    There is a new and unique mechanic at play here

    Korvaq needs to roll d20 + lvl + prime attribute (Dex for Rogue as highest class)

    I will wait for other responses before we go into the results
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3647
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  whit10 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:58 pm

    Roll(1d20)+11:
    13,+11
    Total:24
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  navyik on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:34 pm

    Brick Rockman is 8' tall and 500 lbs.  His tiny legs are clad in white satin bell bottoms that are skin tight from the knee up, accentuating his tight round butt.  His boots are white patent leather with gold plated rocket boosters.
      Brick's massive upper body is clad in a skin tight compression leisure suit with gaudy lapels.  He wears his championship belt, a white feather boa and aviator sunglasses that hide his alien green eyes.  His hair is blue with golden highlights and tossed easily into a perfectly massive pompadour.  His head is still not big enough to contain his ego and he is accented head to toe with gold and diamonds.  He carries no equipment, but the bulge of his wallet is fat.  He does not blend in... But the admonishion of the driver pulls him quietly into contemplation.
      
      Hmmm... Maybe what Qaj is trying to say is that he is a member of a species of animalistic humans like "Beast-men.". I think I am beginning to understand his primative language, but it is a little choppy. 


      Brick nestles back into the twisted and irreparable seat, torquing it a little more.  He winks at the kids.  It's only a couple points in the ratings, but why not?


    Last edited by navyik on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:41 pm

    navyik wrote:Brick Rockman is 8' tall and 500 lbs.  His tiny legs are clad in white satin bell bottoms that are skin tight from the waist up, accentuating his tight round butt.  His boots are white patent leather with gold plated rocket boosters.
      Brick's massive upper body is clad in a skin tight compression leisure suit with gaudy lapels.  He wears his championship belt, a white feather boa and aviator sunglasses that hide his alien green eyes.  His hair is blue with golden highlights and tossed easily into a perfectly massive pompadour.  His head is still not big enough to contain his ego and he is accented head to toe with gold and diamonds.  He carries no equipment, but the bulge of his wallet is fat.  He does not blend in... But the admonishion of the driver pulls him quietly into contemplation.
      
      Hmmm... Maybe what Qaj is trying to say is that he is a member of a species of animalistic humans like "Beast-men.". I think I am beginning to understand his primative language, but it is a little choppy. 


      Brick nestles back into the twisted and irreparable seat, torquing it a little more.  He winks at the kids.  It's only a couple points in the ratings, but why not?

    lol! I love the characterization and internal monologue
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  MAS on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:25 pm

    MAS wrote:

    GM - are we starting "as fully rested" as far as spell slots and such?


    Argul is not quite surprised by the variety of beings in the motor carriage, as his folk has dealings with many different worlds. He is somewhat dismayed with the Robo-creature's dialogue about eating their surrounding companions and downright disturbed that the angry sounding creature has so quickly drawn a weapon on the driver.

    Ready action, cast "Mind thrust" - condition = Argul, or an innocent, is attacked without obvious provocation.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:47 pm

    MAS wrote:

    GM - are we starting "as fully rested" as far as spell slots and such?


    study  OOPS! Sorry, I missed that one Embarassed I assume you were fully rested at the start of your prologue.  If anyone used a spell or ability during their prologue, those uses still count now as it was only moments ago for each of you (unless noted that it was a GM fiat for story purposes)
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Robyo on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:11 am

    Zangulor realizes Skree and him have crossed into a new plane of existence, and then deposited in this truck with other foreigners. While experiencing the sheer culture shock of it all, he is still able to recognize similarities of this world to his own ancient ancestors, the Voryns of Zyr.

    Going with the flow (for now), he obeys the driver and tries to blend in too.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:19 am

    Robyo wrote:Zangulor realizes Skree and him have crossed into a new plane of existence, and then deposited in this truck with other foreigners. While experiencing the sheer culture shock of it all, he is still able to recognize similarities of this world to his own ancient ancestors, the Voryns of Zyr.

    Going with the flow (for now), he obeys the driver and tries to blend in too.

    study There is a new and unique mechanic at play here

    roll d20 + lvl + prime attribute (WIS for druid)

    I will wait for other responses before we go into the results
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Robyo on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:49 am

    20 + 8 + 6 = 34

    Boom!
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  navyik on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:23 am

    Roll of 9+8+7=24. Brick should probably take negatives trying to blend in...
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:25 am

    study "Blending in" is not a reaction or a required roll.  It is a specific action that must be consciously attempted (intention) by the character.  

    Zang stated that he would "try to blend in" without a specific action

    Robyo wrote:Going with the flow (for now), he obeys the driver and tries to blend in too.

    Korvaq pulled up his hood (action) though he didn't state his intention and then upon being asked if that action went with the intention to "blend in", Josh replied

    whit10 wrote:blend in for now.  He doesn't exactly have any other ways to do so (unless you want a Stealth roll)

    Argul made neither a stated intention to "blend in" nor took an action towards that. He made another action, which is also fine

    MAS wrote:
    Ready action, cast "Mind thrust" - condition = Argul, or an innocent, is attacked without obvious provocation.

    navyik wrote:  He does not blend in...
       

    navyik wrote:Roll of 9+8+7=24. Brick should probably take negatives trying to blend in...

    study Does Brick, being Brick, take any action or have the specific intention to "try to blend in"?   It's totally ok if he does or doesn't based on how you play the character, but there is no need to roll for "blending in" unless Brick makes the conscious decision to "try" or takes an action (with intention).

    Does that make sense?
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  navyik on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:50 pm

    Brick wouldn't TRY to blend in, but he would pretend to know what the driver is talking about.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:25 pm

    navyik wrote:Brick wouldn't TRY to blend in, but he would pretend to know what the driver is talking about.

    scratch He would pretend to try?  lol!  so that goes to INTENTION, not action

    Chris wrote:
    Everyone in the group feels a sensation of dread.  It's a cold feeling, deep in your bones.  The hair (if you have any) stands up on the back on your necks.  Something just doesn't feel right, though you can't place an obvious threat.  Maybe it's just from the strange form of travel... but you sense it is something else, something terrifying, something out of a nightmare you had as a child....  



    Results:


    Korvaq rolled a 24 but he also pulled his hood up, which counts as a FOCUS (or a prop, something to assist the illusion) which grants a +2 in this case (better foci may yield better bonuses) = 26!  minor success

    There is a brief visual distortion around Korvaq, like he is momentarily standing behind the radiations of a mirage.  When the mirage clears away, the bony plates have disappeared from his forehead.  The rest of you see this instead of a Klingon in armor:



    His armor has become a sweater, his hood is now a grey hat and his other items appear mundane to a 20th century earth culture.

    Korvaq feels the sensation of dread melt away, though it remains a shadow in the back of his mind.

    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    Zang rolled a natural 20!  a critical success.  Skree is part of Zang's character package, so he goes with Zang's roll.   So powerful is Zang's OBFUSCATION that the party completely FORGETS he ever looked like this

    Robyo wrote:A usually rather somber looking robot, dressed in leather armor and covered in a tattered druidic robe

    As best as anyone can remember, they have only ever seen this:



    Other characters can explain their own self-justifications, if they wish.  But none have any memory at all of a robot and a velociraptor.

    Zang feels the sensation of dread disappear completely, as if neither he nor the feeling ever existed.  He feels forgotten by the dread.

    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    Neither Argul nor Brick acted with intention to "blend in" as the driver warned.

    The whole party can see a visual distortion around 1 of the bikers and the 2 children in the minivan.  It is similar to the mirage-like effect that manifested near Korvaq, but it more violent, as if the new form is ripping it's way through the original body.  A wave of FEAR washes over Brick and Argul, as creatures from the darkest corner of their minds race towards the truck!



    Save vs FEAR for Brick and Argul

    ALL ROLL INITIATIVE!
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:33 pm

    study I left Zang and Skree in their original form for tokens.  I added outlines as follows:  Yellow - party.  Blue - NPC.  RED - enemy

    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:48 pm

    Only Zang has seen creatures like this before....

    Robyo wrote: it is the alliance of Yuan-ti and Naga which forms the dominant empire of the planet. Known as the Ssyk Empire, they consider themselves the masters of Ssyssyx. The yuan-ti serve as the enforcers, slave masters, and bodyguards to the Naga Overlords.

    He underwent a quest to find Thaak's Headband. A powerful device for granting it's wearer great wisdom, Zang attained it from the queen of the Yuan-ti, Ssaraharass. She was intrigued by Zang's nature and gave him a history teaching of sorts.

    Zang managed to escape, despite Queen Ssaraharass's best efforts.

    what Zang called the Naga



    Yuan-ti Queen

    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  navyik on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:27 pm

    Brick Rockman
    AC 18
    HP 88

    Vs. fear 8+2=10

    Brick also has SR 19

    Initiative. 10+3=13
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3647
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  whit10 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:52 pm

    I knew I should have played the Predator guy!!!!

    Korvaq's Initiative:

    Roll(1d20)+3:
    9,+3
    Total:12

    SR: 14
    AC: 20 (plus Evasion and Uncanny Dodge)
    HP: 92
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:39 am

    whit10 wrote:I knew I should have played the Predator guy!!!!
    Twisted Evil


    Thanks for the stat blocks Alan and Josh, always appreciated!

    The Fear aura is an (EX) extraordinary ability, so it isn't mitigated by SR, sorry


    Brick is SHAKEN for 5 turns

    Shaken: A shaken character takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. Shaken is a less severe state of fear than frightened or panicked.

    Initiative (so far)

    Xenomorphs: 26
    Brick: 13
    Korvaq: 12
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Robyo on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:34 am

    Zang initiative: 8 + 4 = 12 (if a tie Zang's Dex 14, Initiative +4)



    Illusion! Possibly the most subtle, yet powerful of all magics... It's effects trick your senses and warp your mind and you don't even know it...

    Zang's own mind races with questions. He gives in to the flow of magic infused with his surroundings. Skree trusts his master, staying calm yet guarded. It's a new world to the velociraptor. Zang is familiar with concrete and fast moving vehicles.

    It makes sense the naga are involved somehow. They are masters of illusion and enchantment. Yet these new forms are different than before: darker, more sinister... and their nature seems more alien than reptilian... We'd better ask the driver some questions, if we get the chance!
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 am

    Good thoughts and questions from Zang! cheers

    Chris wrote:
    Initiative (so far)

    Xenomorphs: 26
    Zang: 14
    Brick: 13
    Korvaq: 12

    Is Skree going with Zang or do you want him to have an independent initiative?
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:58 pm

    study friendly GM reminder to check in at least once per day as a courtesy to the rest of the group.

    In combat, a character's action will be delayed after 24hrs

    out of combat, I may just advance the scene

    let us know, if you have plans or know you will be offline for several days. a character can always slip into "tag-a-long" mode
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Robyo on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:55 pm

    Keep it simpler, Skree will go with Zang.

    Those xenos are fast!
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  navyik on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:52 pm

    Terrified, Brick's instinct is to flee, but as he turns to run, what about those kids, he wonders... (Clearly he wasn't paying attention when they transformed).  Rescuing kids from certain death should be worth 50 points at least!
    While shaken, he puts on his best bravado.

    Bluff. 20+10=30. (I'm going to wish I had that for my attack roll in a bit).

    Smiling his patterned, trademarked, copyrighted, and heavily merchandised sideways grin, "It's all about the fans," he schmoozes in a breathy affected voice.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  MAS on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:01 pm

    Chris wrote:
    MAS wrote:

    GM - are we starting "as fully rested" as far as spell slots and such?


    study  OOPS!  Sorry, I missed that one  Embarassed I assume you were fully rested at the start of your prologue.  If anyone used a spell or ability during their prologue, those uses still count now as it was only moments ago for each of you (unless noted that it was a GM fiat for story purposes)

    No worries - I just need you to determine how many "Read Object" spells Argul burned through to progress as far as he did before things went sideways.

    Sorry for the delay gents - Nicole's aunt passed and we had to zip up to the UP for a funeral. Things got hectic and I forgot to let you know.

    FEAR save =

    WILL +6
    +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects
    Mental Placidity (Su): As an immediate action, you can gain a +2 bonus on a Will saving throw you are about to attempt. This bonus increases to +4 against an enchantment spell or effect. Any ally who attempts a saving throw against the same effect gains a +1 bonus on the Will save, or a +2 bonus if the effect is an enchantment. If you succeed at the saving throw, you regain 1 point in your phrenic pool. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier.

    Total bonus +10/+12 vs enchantment

    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +10" :

    11 + 10 = 21 (23 vs enchantment)

    Initiative =
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20" :

    13 (DEX 11)

    INIT = 13
    AC = 10
    HP = 48





    This should be....interesting. I built my character for roleplay and intrigue, we'll see if I can keep him alive, lol!
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2658
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  navyik on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:08 pm






    This should be....interesting. I built my character for roleplay and intrigue, we'll see if I can keep him alive, lol!

    "Brick Rockman will protect you!!! (aside), just be sure to publicly praise him and help him with simple clerical management tasks..."
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:22 am

    MAS wrote:Sorry for the delay gents - Nicole's aunt passed and we had to zip up to the UP for a funeral. Things got hectic and I forgot to let you know.

    I am very sorry to hear about your loss, no worries about us
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:27 am

    MAS wrote:
    This should be....interesting. I built my character for roleplay and intrigue, we'll see if I can keep him alive, lol!

    Roleplay and intrigue will certainly be needed, as will combat skills depending on the party's choices Cool

    study This fight could have been avoided completely. Candidly, I hedged my bets that not everyone would try to blend in or be successful. The fight will hopefully be fun AND teach a lesson about the mechanics of the story & how to interact with the worlds
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:30 am

    MAS wrote:
    No worries - I just need you to determine how many "Read Object" spells Argul burned through to progress as far as he did before things went sideways.

    FEAR save =

    WILL +6
    +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects
    Mental Placidity (Su): As an immediate action, you can gain a +2 bonus on a Will saving throw you are about to attempt. This bonus increases to +4 against an enchantment spell or effect. Any ally who attempts a saving throw against the same effect gains a +1 bonus on the Will save, or a +2 bonus if the effect is an enchantment. If you succeed at the saving throw, you regain 1 point in your phrenic pool. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier.

    Total bonus +10/+12 vs enchantment
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +10" :

    11 + 10 = 21 (23 vs enchantment)

    Initiative =
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20" :

    13 (DEX 11)

    INIT = 13
    AC = 10
    HP = 48


    Argul makes his FEAR save!  
    It is an EX and not an enchantment
    Argul regains 1 phrenic pool pt

    +1 does not help Brick
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:40 am

    Robyo wrote:Keep it simpler, Skree will go with Zang.

    Those xenos are fast!

    Twisted Evil

    Chris wrote:

    Xenomorphs: 26
    Zang + Skree: 14
    Brick: 13
    Argul: 13
    Korvaq: 12

    MAS wrote:
    Ready action, cast "Mind thrust" - condition = Argul, or an innocent, is attacked without obvious provocation.

    Chris wrote:
    The whole party can see a visual distortion around 1 of the bikers and the 2 children in the minivan.  It is similar to the mirage-like effect that manifested near Korvaq, but it more violent, as if the new form is ripping it's way through the original body.  A wave of FEAR washes over Brick and Argul, as creatures from the darkest corner of their minds race towards the truck!

    The Xenos have declared, at 26, that they are moving and attacking Argul and Brick.  That triggers the Readied action, so Argul interrupts the Xeno's first action

    study  Readying an Action: You can ready a standard action, a move action, a swift action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, anytime before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character's activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

    Cool  Argul's roleplaying may have saved him in combat  cheers

    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:42 am

    Chris wrote:

    Argul: 26
    Xenomorphs: 26
    Zang + Skree: 14
    Brick: 13
    Korvaq: 12
    Driver: 10

    It looks like the biker\xeno (S-18) is aiming for Argul and the 2 kids\xenos (N-10, N-12) are attacking Brick.  


    ROUND 1!

    Argul is up with his readied action

    Chris wrote:study I left Zang and Skree in their original form for tokens.  I added outlines as follows:  Yellow - party.  Blue - NPC.  RED - enemy


    study friendly reminder - we are using the 5e move\attack rules, so effectively everyone has Spring Attack\Shot on the Run (but not the pre-req feats) and Quick Draw
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  MAS on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:35 pm

    MIND THRUST
    School divination [mind-affecting]; Level psychic 1
    Casting Time 1 standard action
    Components S
    Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target one creature
    Duration instantaneous
    Saving Throw Will half; Spell Resistance yes
    You divine the most vulnerable portions of your opponent's mind and overload it with a glut of psychic information. This attack deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 5d6). The target receives a Will save for half damage. This attack has no effect on creatures without an Intelligence score.
    MIND THRUST IV
    School divination; Level psychic 4
    This functions as mind thrust I, but the target takes 1d8 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d8) and is fatigued for 1 round if it fails its save. This spell can be undercast.

    Result of the throw of dice "8d8" :

    8 + 1 + 7 + 4 + 5 + 7 + 1 + 5 = 38





    "The will to do violence only harms the aggressor" states Argul matter of factly, while he puffs on his cigar. He smiles at the creature and opens its mind to the karmic repercussions of its intended actions. "I do hope you'll reconsider"

    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:39 pm

    MAS wrote:MIND THRUST

    Result of the throw of dice "8d8" :

    8 + 1 + 7 + 4 + 5 + 7 + 1 + 5 = 38





    "The will to do violence only harms the aggressor" states Argul matter of factly, while he puffs on his cigar. He smiles at the creature and opens its mind to the karmic repercussions of its intended actions. "I do hope you'll reconsider"


    Thanks for the spell description, I appreciate it!  Can you also include the save DC, so I don't miss any bonuses you may have?  

    I have spell DC as 10 + 4 (lvl of spell) + 4 (cha bonus) = 18

    The Xenomorph charges at Argul, but the Keeper has a few secrets of his own!  The Xenomorph stops in mid-charge, staggered, as if momentarily confused.  It stumbles around like a bird that just flew into a window.  It regains its senses and bares double jaws full of sharp teeth with a loud hiss.  It moves towards Argul more slowly, more cautiously.

    The Xenomorph Q-14 jumps onto the back of the truck and its double jaws shoot forward, like a hydraulic piledriver at Argul!  Something burns the psychic when he is bitten

    damage:
    Roll(2d6)+3:
    2,1,+3
    Total:6

    acid
    Roll(1d4)+0:
    1,+0
    Total:1


    6 piercing + 1 acid

    ________________________________________________________________________________

    The other Xenomorph P-8 jump from the moving minivan onto the moving truck with surprising agility.  The first lands on the hood of the truck and Brick sees a double jaw snap at him, burning his shoulder as it hits!

    damage:
    Roll(2d6)+4:
    6,1,+4
    Total:11

    acid
    Roll(1d4)+0:
    2,+0
    Total:2


    11 piercing + 2 acid

    __________________________________________________________________________________
    study  let me know if you have anything to mitigate damage or any reactions
    __________________________________________________________________________________

    The other Xenomorph Q-10 ignores Zang, Skree and Korvaq on it's path to Brick.  If any of those 3 have a MELEE weapon that is drawn (or can use unarmed considered as armed) they are entitled to an Attack of Opportunity.

    Xenomorphs Q-10 declares a claw swing at Brick, if it gets the chance.



    Chris wrote:

    Argul: 26
    Xenomorphs: 26
    Zang + Skree: 14
    Brick: 13
    Korvaq: 12
    Driver: 10

    Zang + Skree are up, pending AoO and resolution of claw attack
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3647
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  whit10 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:16 pm

    unfortunately, Korvaq is going for his disrupter, no AoO for him
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2348
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  MAS on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:14 pm

    I'll include DC next time, sorry. Still getting into PC mode after GMing for a while.

    Argul takes 6 piercing + 1 acid




    "Egads!" declares Argul "Gnawing on my arm doesn't do either one of us much good in the long run!"
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Robyo on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:41 am

    Forget the OA's. "Slashing and piercing will only yield acid in your face, guys!" Zang shouts in the common tongue*.

    He points to the minivan and Skree jumps out of the safari carrier! He darts out of the left side, landing on top the xeno's minivan. Acrobatics check? 16 + 8 = 24. If Skree has any movement left, he attacks the windshield (on the driver's side) with his talons.

    Zang goes out the right side, jets igniting under his feet, carrying him aloft. When he is about 15 ft diagonally up from the vehicle, he casts Flaming Sphere in the space of the alien at stern, Q-13.

    Flaming Sphere
    School evocation [fire]; Level druid 2, sorcerer/wizard 2
    Casting Time 1 standard action
    Components V, S, M/DF (tallow, brimstone, and powdered iron)
    Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Effect 5-ft.-diameter sphere
    Duration 1 round/level
    Saving Throw Reflex negates; Spell Resistance yes
    A burning globe of fire rolls in whichever direction you point and burns those it strikes. It moves 30 feet per round. As part of this movement, it can ascend or jump up to 30 feet to strike a target. If it enters a space with a creature, it stops moving for the round and deals 3d6 points of fire damage to that creature, though a successful Reflex save negates that damage. A flaming sphere rolls over barriers less than 4 feet tall. It ignites flammable substances it touches and illuminates the same area as a torch would.
    The sphere moves as long as you actively direct it (a move action for you); otherwise, it merely stays at rest and burns. It can be extinguished by any means that would put out a normal fire of its size. The surface of the sphere has a spongy, yielding consistency and so does not cause damage except by its flame. It cannot push aside unwilling creatures or batter down large obstacles. A flaming sphere winks out if it exceeds the spell's range.

    1 + 5 + 3 = 9 Fire damage.

    Let me know if I should make any other rolls for Skree or Zang.

    *A deduction made from his experience as a xenobiologist.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4848
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Chris on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:46 pm

    Robyo wrote:Forget the OA's. "Slashing and piercing will only yield acid in your face, guys!" Zang shouts in the common tongue*.
    *A deduction made from his experience as a xenobiologist.
    lol!
    Zang has encountered these things before, in their snake-version, so it's a fair assumption he had to fight a few to escape the queen Cool

    Great, dynamic movements for Zang and Skree!  

    Skree - still appearing like a large dog - acro check is all that was needed for Skree to jump from 1 moving vehicle to another.  Skree makes it and lands with a crunch of metal on the roof of the minivan.  Skree can make 1 attack and smashes the windshield.  It doesn't explode, safety glass in modern cars just shatters but holds together in a spider-web pattern.

    Zang - still appearing like a hiker - ignites his rocket boots (racial flight?) and takes up and off from the truck.  Speaking of AoO.... the Xeno's have a 10 ft reach with their tails!  Skree was out of it's threat range with its first move, so he is safe.  But Xeno Q-10 swings it's spear-like tail at Zang as he flies upwards.... and just barely misses!  

    Zang calls out to his goddess Paraxia to invoke fire.  He expects this....

    Chris wrote:



    Zang communes with Matron Paraxia.   He feels a vibrant, youthful presence.  The world is in full bloom during the rainy season.  Plants thrive, animals are well fed and watered.  Life is awake and the goddess is afoot!


    but instead hears a faint reply from someone that looks like this....  "Eh...  Who calls my name?"
    Zang feels a presence that is older, but more than the age, she feels abandoned, neglected and abused.



    Zang's spells are at -1 effective level in this world, due to a weakened goddess.

    A ball of fire erupts from thin air around Xeno Q-13!  
    as with Matt, please give me the save DC, so I don't miss any bonuses you may have

    I see 10 + 6 (wis) + 2 (spell level) = 18

    The creature writhes in agony at the flames, more so than Zang would normally expect from that damage.  The burned husk falls off the back of the moving truck!  Argul is safe, for the moment.
    study Zang discovers they are vulnerable to fire!  cheers



    Brick is up at 13
    Korvaq is on deck at 12

    Then Driver and all cars resolve at 10
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2761
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    93/93  (93/93)
    Action Points:
    9/9  (9/9)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Robyo on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:07 pm

    Yes, jets are a racial flight power. He has clumsy maneuverability, so no fly by attacks. He needs to turn into a pterydactyl to do that.

    Zang also currently has his +2 AC from earlier totemic transformation. Lasts 8 minutes.
    AC: 23 (leather, shield,amulet), +2 buff
    HP: 71/71
    Pass Perc: 23
    Move: 30', Fly 30'
    Initiative:+4 (DEX 14)


    Regarding the change in appearance of Paraxia, are you using a sort of universal template system for the various gods/domains? In that way, characters can still access their domains, if not their specific deities. Dragonstar campaign uses this system. It can be helpful technique when dealing with multi-world hopping.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Stuck in traffic

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:57 pm