Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Login or Register
Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Gaming Room

Dice - http://dicelog.com

D20 SRD - http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Pathfinder SRD - http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Modern SRD - http://www.d20moderndb.com/game-rules/d20-modern-srd

Pando - http://www.pando.com/

Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/


    A fear of needles

    Share
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2789
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: A fear of needles

    Post  Robyo on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 am

    Yeah, I know, I know. It just seems weird to take a character's background story and subvert it. I mean why make a background at all, if it's not legit to the character's memory? And I would have fleshed out the Ssyk Empire stuff more deeply, but I figured my background story was extensive enough. At least to begin.

    Zang has been fighting the Ssyk for 7 years. If he was a ranger, they would be his favored enemy. Yet he only has casual knowledge of the species?

    Would you say that Romulans are really Illithids for Korvaq? Or that Brick's holonet fame is simply a hallucination?

    It's not a huge deal, it's your game. I'm enjoying the mashup of earlier characters! Just not sure what other parts of my character's backstory will turn out wonky.

    Going to try and have Zang/Skree updated this weekend. Possibly sooner, if time allows.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4919
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: A fear of needles

    Post  Chris on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:25 am

    Robyo wrote:Yeah, I know, I know. It just seems weird to take a character's background story and subvert it. I mean why make a background at all, if it's not legit to the character's memory? And I would have fleshed out the Ssyk Empire stuff more deeply, but I figured my background story was extensive enough. At least to begin.

    Zang has been fighting the Ssyk for 7 years. If he was a ranger, they would be his favored enemy. Yet he only has casual knowledge of the species?

    Would you say that Romulans are really Illithids for Korvaq? Or that Brick's holonet fame is simply a hallucination?

    It's not a huge deal, it's your game. I'm enjoying the mashup of earlier characters! Just not sure what other parts of my character's backstory will turn out wonky.

    Going to try and have Zang/Skree updated this weekend. Possibly sooner, if time allows.

    I am sorry you feel that way.  

    I was trying to creatively weave together the backgrounds into the main plot line.  I am not sure what you mean about "casual knowledge" of them, Zang has provided specific knowledge of them throughout the story - don't use slashing attacks, they are vulnerable to fire and that Zang recognized their use of illusions.  

    Think about the backstory you provided - 2 similar snake-like races, one controlling the other, some buried ancient-high tech...  you were literally describing (in my mind) the movie Alien - a crashed ship, high tech and an alien species that wiped out the indigenous race.  It was an uncanny fit, so I used it.  Remember, the Xenos NEED host bodies, so they continue to let the yuan-ti reproduce so they have a supply of hosts for the naga eggs.  This is either a higher intelligence than the Xenos showed in the movies or perhaps using the yuan-ti as hosts changed how their brains work.  Maybe that is worth exploring?   Wink  

    The only part Zang didn't know was that these Xenos were on other worlds.  He had no way of knowing that. This whole story is about reality-bending themes, so in that sense, nothing is immutable.

    As for the others....  Matt might be surprised if you decide to investigate the other Branches too.  Josh already saw a subversion of his backstory, if you read his prologue.  As for Alan... you'll have to wait and see Cool
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2789
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: A fear of needles

    Post  Robyo on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 pm

    Chris wrote:Remember, the Xenos NEED host bodies, so they continue to let the yuan-ti reproduce so they have a supply of hosts for the naga eggs.  This is either a higher intelligence than the Xenos showed in the movies or perhaps using the yuan-ti as hosts changed how their brains work.  Maybe that is worth exploring?   Wink

    Yes, that sounds cool. No doubt the Queen and possibly adult xenos could develop magical/psionic abilities as well as higher intelligence from such a special "relationship."
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2789
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: A fear of needles

    Post  Robyo on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:45 pm

    Chris wrote:just listing some possibilities:

    investigate the Xenos

    investigate the other Branches as to why no info from them

    investigate the Golden Dust

    pursue Rasso

    ____________________________________________________


    It sounds like you want to pursue the Xenos first


    Gathering intel on the xenos/naga makes sense. The other options will be neccessary too, in time. Eventually, we will need reinforcements to crush the xenomorph scourge.

    "First we should find out more about the xenomorphs. Then we can investigate the Branches, and also gather some of the Golden Dust. It may prove useful. But when the time is right, I will portal back to my home world of Zyr, and raise an army of Collossi. No doubt a few companies of those gargantuan self-transforming sentient robots will be enough to stomp out the bugs!"
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2703
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    51/88  (51/88)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: A fear of needles

    Post  navyik on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:01 pm

    Robyo______________________________________________ wrote:
    "First we should find out more about the xenomorphs. Then we can investigate the Branches, and also gather some of the Golden Dust. It may prove useful. But when the time is right, I will portal back to my home world of Zyr, and raise an army of Collossi. No doubt a few companies of those gargantuan self-transforming sentient robots will be enough to stomp out the bugs!"

    "Hmmmm...". Brick tries to sound intelligent.  Bluff

    "I agree, let's hunt down those creatures first."

    To his manager, "I want an addendum to my contract that I get to wrestle one of those Colosseum thingies..."
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4919
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: A fear of needles

    Post  Chris on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:43 am

    great, sounds like we have a plan!

    I know a couple of you have posted that you finished your +1up

    I will get the next chapter started, please finish updating ASAP.


    The lovely Elizabeth winks, "You got it, Brick!"
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2388
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: A fear of needles

    Post  MAS on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 am

    Will finish my update tonight.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4919
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: A fear of needles

    Post  Chris on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm

    The adventure continues here

    http://lodgestgaming.forumotion.com/t327-there-s-no-plane-like-home#17521

    let's try to get going this weekend!
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2388
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: A fear of needles

    Post  MAS on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:13 pm

    Updated and gold-plated!

    Ok, not really gold-plated, but it rhymed!

    Sponsored content

    Re: A fear of needles

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:57 pm