Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Login or Register
Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Gaming Room

Dice - http://dicelog.com

D20 SRD - http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Pathfinder SRD - http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Modern SRD - http://www.d20moderndb.com/game-rules/d20-modern-srd

Pando - http://www.pando.com/

Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/


    Which way did he go?

    Share
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:26 pm

    Recapping previous events.

    Your home town was attacked by little green creatures with strange machines.  The Duke and many of the townsfolk became suspicious of the tower.  The Squire and several of his men entered the tower and haven't come out.

    The Duke has sent you to notify the neighbouring towns to beware the towers.  Upon arrival at Lastwater you found the town slaughtered and the tower infested.  You drove the creatures to beat a hasty retreat through a portal at the top of the tower.

    While piecing together the scene you can see the whole landscape.  If you would like to adjust your number crunches to accommodate new discoveries and level up to 5, go ahead.  Please stick with the current class, race, and personality. When you are ready, post stat blocks and make perception checks.
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2448
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  MAS on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:54 pm

    Feel free to run my character s an NPC or just sideline him. I'm on the road all but 3 days from now until October 3rd.

    Have fun guys!
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:39 pm

    scratch Rob's sitting out, Matt is on the road

    Is Josh playing? do we want to do a duo only with this story? something else? nothing for a month?

    I am fine with any of the above
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3744
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  whit10 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 am

    I was planning on playing but it doesn't sound like it would be worth it with just us two (three with Alan).

    I'm fine with whatever.
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:12 am

    While admiring the view outside the window, Tarek notices a couple goblin stragglers slipping down the well at the edge of town.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:14 pm

    navyik wrote:While admiring the view outside the window, Tarek notices a couple goblin stragglers slipping down the well at the edge of town.

    Ian has exerted himself more today than he has in years.  He follows Tarek's gaze to the departing goblins.  He contemplates the heroic notion of following them down the well.  Then he remembers that sewers smell bad and climbing down the rope seems like a lot of effort.  Ian's inherent laziness wins out, as usual.

    Ian shrugs at Tarek, "Looks like they got away.  We should head back and tell the Duke.  I'm tired and hungry."


    *EDIT* Ian is updated to 5th level
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3744
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  whit10 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:59 pm

    I thought we were only 4th level?

    "Agreed, I may smell bad, but sewers are worse... Let's just tell him what happened"
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:13 am

    The group decides to return to report to the Duke. You have the book about portals, but it is missing pages.

    Upon your arrival you find the town still under strict martial law. The library tower is under guard and the scuttle butt is that the Squire still hasn't come out.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 pm

    Ian addresses the guards at the gate as he would fellows from the town guard, "Howdy mates. We need to report to the Duke. Any idea where he's at?"
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3744
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  whit10 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:56 am

    Tarek will skulk behind Ian, as he hates guards of any kind
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:16 pm

    "It, this fellow wants ta see that Duke, he says," the dumb one chuckles.
    "Sorry mate," the slightly less dumb one says. " Martial law. Nobody gets in less da cap'n says so."
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:45 pm

    Ian smiles at the guards.  He knows that you can't argue with stupid.  

    Ian turns to Tarek, though he really isn't a subtle person, "Why don't you uh... go do that....uh... thing... you know, that you were going to do?  (Ian darts his eyes away from the guards) I will wait for the Captain with these gents."

    to dumb:
    "We have orders from the Duke himself.  Please get your Captain.  I will stay here with him (dumber)."  Ian pulls a flask of whiskey from inside his chest plate.  He sloshes the contents back and forth to show its fullness. He takes a swig and offers it discreetly to the guards, "Chilly tonight, eh?  A little something to keep ya warm."

    Diplomacy check to improve their attitude

    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +8" :

    14 + 8 = 22
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3744
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  whit10 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:04 pm

    Tarek smiles (with his missing teeth and silver implants)... "any good places to drink still open?" He starts to wander in the opposite direction of Ian.


    Are we 5th level or 4th? I just want to get updated if I need to
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:08 pm

    I was 4th and updated to 5th at GM's direction
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:32 pm

    "Yeah, dis fellow seems alright to me," says dumber. "Why don't you go an git da cap'n."

    "No, ya bloody bum," dumb slugs dumber. "Da cap'n said I was in charge, he did. I will wait with the bloke while Youuuu go an git da cap'n."

    The town's folk look hungry.
    Soldiers look fed.
    There is an inn near the crossroads. Looks like it is under construction.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:31 pm

    Ian winks at dumber, "I'll save ya a nip, mate."

    Ian surveys the town and passes dumb the flask, "Was there another attack of those green buggers?"
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:04 pm

    "Nah, but cap'n says the capitol is under siege. I think that lousy Squire's in league wife the little buggers, that's what I say. That bum is locked in the tower an won't come out!"
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3744
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  whit10 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:21 am

    if there is any cover or a way to move around behind the guards, Tarek will try it.

    Stealth?
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 am

    navyik wrote:"Nah, but cap'n says the capitol is under siege.  I think that lousy Squire's in league wife the little buggers, that's what I say.  That bum is locked in the tower an won't come out!"

    Ian nods to validate the guard's feelings, "The Squire.... he was always a little odd, but why would you say he is helping the gobbers?" Hand him the flask again
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:50 pm



    Ignore the counters and whatnot.  I don't know how to remove them. Tarek would have to hop the shoulder high wall to get behind the guard. There are other towers as well. Stealth might allow him to hug the wall and find the right place and distraction to slip over.

    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:27 am

    Dumb replies, "ain't no other explanation is all. Everyone knows the towers is behind it. That tower belongs to his family. I never did like the look of that one."
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:08 am

    Ian takes a slug, "Hmmm... you got a valid point there. The towers are behind it all, no doubt. I didn't realize that the tower belonged to his family though. Does his family own the towers in other towns too?"
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:25 pm

    "Probably does," Dumb realizes. "I bet it's a caspirisey," he mispronounces...
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:36 pm

    Ian raises his eyebrows, "Oh! You like conspiracies? I uncovered a very... deep.... conspiracy while in the city watch. The whores at the King's Load claimed that the Madam from Winterfellatio was......


    (Ian tells bawdy cop stories)


    .... and as it turns out, it was the key was hidden in the chamber pot at Fleabottom's the whole time!"



    just waiting for the Captain and keeping the guards 'distracted'
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3744
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  whit10 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:16 pm

    Over the wall then, climb and stealth:

    Climb:
    Roll(1d20)+7:
    15,+7
    Total:22

    Stealth:
    Roll(1d20)+10:
    12,+10
    Total:22

    * Climb should be 23, his Str. Mod. wasn't improved at 4th level on his skills.
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:35 am

    Tarik hugs the wall avoiding notice all the way round and hold the low wall to land behind the bush at 6-EE. He peeks out just in time to see dumber escorting Ian to building A3

    Tarik notes that the towers have the only guards, they aren't very good, (they're only watching outside the wall), and the few people milling around the yard aren't very alert. The smithy doesn't ring, the stable doesn't whinny and snort, and there are few chicks and pigs running around. It just doesn't seem well inhabited.

    Ian is escorted into the Squire's office, where the Duke had taken up occupancy. The Duke is not there, but a skinny older veteran with captain's bars sits comfortably at the desk. He is reading what appear to be dispatched and glumly looking over a map.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:46 am

    Ian stands smartly alert, "Report from Lastwater, on the Duke's orders."

    Ian waits to be recognized.  He is used to be being ignored by superior officers in the city guard. He can only hold in his gut for so long. After a couple breaths, it begins to sag out from under his breastplate.
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:33 pm

    "The Duke has gone to the West to raise troops. How many did you bring from the north?"
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3744
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  whit10 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:10 am

    attempt to 'shadow' Ian. Let me know what rolls are needed.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 am

    navyik wrote:"The Duke has gone to the West to raise troops.  How many did you bring from the north?"

    study my geography is fuzzy, is Lastwater to the North?

    "Just myself and the Rat. We had a couple others but lost them in the fighting at the Tower. We stormed the Tower there and chased a bunch of greenskins out. We returned to report that Lastwater is gone."
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:50 am

    The captain looks directly at Ian for the first time, his eyes full of questions, but he restrains himself. "Bloody towers," he finally looks back at his map. "You went into the tower at Lastwater, fought them, and came out alive." Not really a question. "To where did they retreat?"
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:56 am

    Ian puffs up his chest with pride, "They crawled down the walls of the Tower and fled down the town well. Perhaps there are some underground caverns? We were going to to pursue them, but we thought it was more important to report back to the Duke first. "
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:06 pm

    "The Squire believed there was something that connects the towers. Maybe the well was a backdoorto some caverns."
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:23 pm

    Ian is about to offer his help to explore the caverns and chase goblins.... then he thinks about all the climbing, ducking and effort that would take. Caverns also mean tight spaces which reminds him of his favorite childhood story of a fat bear that got stuck in a rabbit's hole. Food.... his belly rumbles loudly.

    "It was a hard fight and a long walk back from Lastwater... might there be a hot meal and a soft bed as a reward for our service? Perhaps tomorrow, I could talk to the Squire "
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3744
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  whit10 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:50 pm

    Can Tarek hear this conversation?

    Perception:

    Roll(1d20)+7:
    17,+7
    Total:24
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:57 pm

    Assuming Tarek has made his way over to the manor house, he would still have to find the right window or enter the house to listen. It seems like he can walk around as if he belongs, but dumber does seem to be hanging around outside the manor.
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3744
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  whit10 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:43 pm

    Tarek will creep to where Ian is to listen (outside the window)... he'll throw a rock to distract dumber if needed
    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:24 pm

    A commotion arises outside the keep, towards the town. Tarek uses the diversion to go around the manor house. He can hear the captain and Ian through an open window.

    "You can eat at the mess," the captain says. "There isn't much in town. Report to me at sundown for your next assignment."
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:33 pm

    "Thank you, Cap'n." Ian says with the half-salute\half-nod of someone who doesn't know the protocol and is too lazy to figure it out

    Ian heads outside the manor and loudly asks Dumb, "Where's the mess, mate?"
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3744
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  whit10 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:48 pm

    Tarek will meet up with Ian at the mess
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:45 pm

    Ian gives Tarek the scoop. After, through a full mouth, "what say we try and visit the Squire in the Tower? I am not sure I believe any ill-intention talk... and anyways.... the Towers seem to be the key here."

    Ian stuffs another biscuit in his mouth and continues, "I am not very quiet-like, but I make a good distraction" he adds with a wink and a burp
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3744
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  whit10 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:03 pm

    "we can distract these bastards easily enough" Tarek grins and shoves too much food into his mouth

    "I'll follow your lead" (though almost unintelligible) due to his poor manners and mouth full of food
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:22 am

    GM - did we notice if the Tower was guarded or not?

    avatar
    navyik

    Posts : 2732
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  navyik on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 pm

    Sorry I fell off the planet.

    The tower has two guards on the door and is visible from the keep.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:53 pm

    navyik wrote:Sorry I fell off the planet.

    The tower has two guards on the door and is visible from the keep.

    no worries. I hope everything is ok

    navyik wrote:A commotion arises outside the keep, towards the town.

    Does this commotion, whatever it is, distract the tower guards?

    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 5003
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Chris on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:05 pm


    Sponsored content

    Re: Which way did he go?

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:33 pm