Bones
whit10
9 posters

Pre-game/Out of play discussion

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue35/35Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Pre-game/Out of play discussion

Post  Chris Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:06 am

navyik wrote:Only if he dances for us...

huzzah!
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue86/98Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue11/11Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Pre-game/Out of play discussion

Post  Josef909 Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:44 am

Huzzah!

Mike B seems like he is really excited to have a dnd game to play in.  Hes had his own copy of the PHB for months now.  I'm happy to have another player onboard so long as our DM feels okay with cranking up the encounter strength a bit, and a bit more diversity never hurt anyone.

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:59 am

Sure! It'll be an all-out NPC asswhooppin!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue19/19Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue1/0Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:52 am

fine with me!
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue30/30Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:59 am

navyik wrote:Only if he dances for us...

Alan got a private dance show last night and pm'd me this morning with his support. That makes it unanimous. I'll let Mike know. He's building an wood elf ranger
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue35/35Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:27 am

Whitey wrote:

Alan got a private lap dance show last night and pm'd me this morning with his support.

say what??
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:54 am

can I get a copy of the DMG and any other supplement books for 5e?

I want to check out the possibility of adapting 5e for a more futuristic setting for a... future game, in the future
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue30/30Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by07s0D8m5U

A Shadowrun movie by any other name...

I'm pretty excited for this.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:45 pm

oh yeah! I have been following the Bright trailers for a while now. I am very excited for it

it does remind of the shadow run ideas we had for making a movie in high school (with a bigger budget)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:49 pm

ok, brainstorm with me here....

5e converted to SW

I would have to check on blasters, but I think even just using the bow\xbow stats, figuring they get +dex damage bonus might be enough
    pistols d6, heavy d8
    carbine, sporting rifles d6
    rifle d8, sniper d10
    wookie bowcaster d12

Lightsaber is like Shillelagh spell: d8, counts as magical and use your "caster" stat as a bonus instead of str, also finesse

jedi = monk (for classic jedi)
    ki = Force
    unarmored defense
    lightsaber is the only monk weapon
    flurry, movement, etc

lightsaber defense

D e f l e c t M i s s i l e s
    Starting at 3rd level, you can use your reaction to
    deflect or catch the missile when you are hit by a ranged
    weapon attack. When you do so, the damage you take
    from the attack is reduced by 1d 10 + your Dexterity
    modifier + your monk level.
    If you reduce the damage to 0, you can catch the
    missile if it is small enough for you to hold in one hand
    and you have at least one hand free. If you catch a
    missile in this way, you can spend 1 ki point to make a
    ranged attack with the weapon or piece o f ammunition
    you just caught, as part o f the same reaction. You make
    this attack with proficiency, regardless o f your w eapon
    proficiencies, and the missile counts as a monk weapon
    for the attack.

that combines absorb energy and redirect into 1 ability

Way of the Open Hand - but no unarmed, lightsaber only

it is limited without the Affect Mind stuff, but you would just have to multiclass into cleric\mage to have some mind affecting spells. but in terms of Jedi fighting, movement, lightsaber.... Monk is spot on, imo

I think most other classes and races could just be "re-skinned" into SW.
    re-skin = no statistical change, just cosmetic

for example:
    Rodian - use elf package but you are a green-skinned alien
    Wookie - use 1/2 orc package
    vibroblade - use sword stats

we have done a lot of re-skinning on the forum with PF
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue19/19Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue1/0Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:02 pm

I'd say that looks pretty spot on. Or, alternatively, reskin them as a hybrid of Monk and Sorcerer? Just to incorporate some of the other Jedi powers?
    Bones
    Bones

Post  Bones Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Different types of Jedi/sith could be a multi-class package

Monk + sorcerer = Palpatine
    Monk + cleric = Yoda
    Monk + fighter = Anakin
    Monk + paladin = Kenobi
    Monk + barbarian = maul
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:34 pm

that's a good idea too.

Let me get back to you when I have a chance to run some numbers. Busy damned day in PI business.... where's my Ferrari and rich English benefactor??!!
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:00 pm

Warlock: Hexblade is a Jedi. It has a lightsaber, at any rate.

That subclass (and a whole lot more) comes out in the new book of crunch in November, Xanathar's Guide to Everything.
    Bones
    Bones

Post  Bones Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:16 pm

I've only seen the basic PHB. That's why I asked above for any other supplements to be emailed (or linked). What else do you have?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Rotary repeating carbine?
    Bones
    Bones

Post  Bones Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:36 pm

navyik wrote:Rotary repeating carbine?

ROFL
    I think that would be covered by multiple attacks
    Or by something like a reskinned wand of scorching rays
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:44 pm

It's been 2 decades since I played SW the RPG, but I recall the d6 system it used a ton of fun. Throwing literal handfuls of dice. Why go through the brain damage of adapting it to 5e?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue60/112Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:58 pm

I would so love to play space/scifi games that are not Star Wars. There are so many other awesome settings to explore.

I'll email the DMG. It is big so it will be a google drive link.
    Bones
    Bones

Post  Bones Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Whitey wrote:It's been 2 decades since I played SW the RPG, but I recall the d6 system it used a ton of fun. Throwing literal handfuls of dice. Why go through the brain damage of adapting it to 5e?

Those old systems are as dated as the linoleum floors of our parents' kitchens. Shadow run, white wolf, star wars... Just don't hold up well anymore.

Star wars had a long run as a 3.x game from WotC so it's already in better form as a d20 game.

I already ran over a year of SW in PF too
    Bones
    Bones

Post  Bones Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:19 pm

MAS wrote:I would so love to play space/scifi games that are not Star Wars. There are so many other awesome settings to explore.

I'll email the DMG. It is big so it will be a google drive link.

Received, thanks!

I know you feel that way, but I do love me some SW.  Anyways, I was thinking of a criminal setting, between RotS and ANH, working for/against the Hutts.  There are essentially no Jedi you are likely to encounter, as long as you avoid a certain child on a moisture farm.  

It would be focused on the underworld, with some Empire (the law) and possibly fledgling Rebellion contact.

I am also trying with your idea of 2 opposing or competing groups of PCs possibly working for different crime Lord's.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Bones wrote:
    Whitey wrote:It's been 2 decades since I played SW the RPG, but I recall the d6 system it used a ton of fun. Throwing literal handfuls of dice. Why go through the brain damage of adapting it to 5e?

Those old systems are as dated as the linoleum floors of our parents' kitchens.  Shadow run, white wolf, star wars... Just don't hold up well anymore.

Oh please. Just because something is dated, doesn't mean you have to give up on it. If that's the case, throw away your Led Zeppelin records! (Or better yet, give them to me!)

Lots of people still play the old games, which is part of the reason of the retroclone craze. Say what you will, but it has spurred a lot of indie publishing and helps keep D&D dangerous.

I had a lot of fun with d6 Star Wars back in the day. I wouldn't exactly call it balanced (by today's standards), but it's "balanced enough." Ha!

Besides that, the current edition of Star Wars (by FFG) gets good reviews, though I know very little about the system.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Robyo wrote:
    Oh please. Just because something is dated, doesn't mean you have to give up on it. If that's the case, throw away your Led Zeppelin records! (Or better yet, give them to me!)

Lots of people still play the old games, which is part of the reason of the retroclone craze. Say what you will, but it has spurred a lot of indie publishing and helps keep D&D dangerous.

I had a lot of fun with d6 Star Wars back in the day. I wouldn't exactly call it balanced (by today's standards), but it's "balanced enough." Ha!

Besides that, the current edition of Star Wars (by FFG) gets good reviews, though I know very little about the system.

lol, I don't own any records and haven't for 25 years.... nor tapes for 15 years....  which is exactly the point.  SW (LZ) is still a great concept, but I wouldn't play a tape of it when I can play a digital version that can never be scratched or wear out.  I wouldn't play it on 20 year old speakers anymore either Razz

balance is the biggest issue, honestly.  imo, that's the best part of 5e, they really balanced the whole system and in particular the classes.  Force dice were so much better than attribute dice, it wasn't even close

1 Force skill gave you access to dozens of other skills, essentially for free
    d20 was better but still imbalanced towards Force users

part of it is just a flaw in the mythology of SW and trying to balance a game (yes, Matt, I hear you) around an imbalanced concept is difficult.  that's part of the reason, I want to avoid the whole jedi\sith thing and just play in the underworld.  Force adepts (mages, clerics, druids) can be present but they are balanced against all other classes.  Jedi are just monks with 1 wpn and no unarmed stuff.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 pm

I still play my old tapes LOL! Records and CDs too. I do have a ton of music on hard drive, so whatever fills the bill!

And I still have my comic collection (1K+) from when I was a kid. I guess some of us are just sentimental collectors.

I appreciate the aesthetics of the older games, and I get excited about new RPG design as well.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:24 pm

wow... I must be the only one that said "nope, the tapes all sound like crap... into the dumpster" CDs all got sold. Everything is digital now due to ease of sharing, acquisition and portability.

Rob, I have a ton of old gaming books left. Do people still pay money for them? I'd love to sell them all if people want them.

My own opinion is that SW has an infinite universe to offer without the tech getting overwhelming to deal with. No offense Matt, and I mean that, but not everyone is as big a sci-fi fan as you are.

Yeah... d20 SW is far superior to the "mountain of dice" d6 SW. Just like 5th edition D&D and Pathfinder are far superior to previous editions of D&D (whoever though up THACO should have been skinned, I always thought. lol)

I'd love to the new SW and see if they fixed the overpowered nature of force characters.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:38 pm

My problem with other sci-fi is that it tends to fall into 1 of 4 categories:

1) its all humans vs robots (matrix, terminator, robotech, transformers, Battlestar galactica, etc)

2) space humans vs space humans (Dune, cyberpunk)

3) space D&D (warhammer, starfinder, shadowrun)

4) it would take immense work to create dozens of new races and 100s of possible planets, all the tech, ship designs, hyperspace rules

I know that I don't have time for (4) or interest in (1,2,3).

for the record, all D&D\PF is just Tolkien in a custom world (same races, same basic magic, etc). We don't make truly custom fantasy worlds either....

Star Trek is an option, but I am hard pressed to think of anything else.

@Matt - honest question: what sci fi realm would you suggest?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue60/112Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:49 pm

All fantasy is not Tolkien - that is a common misperception amongst people with limited exposure to the wide variety present in the genre. If you read a lot of fantasy, you'll find that very little of it looks anything like Tolkien. There is a lot of room to do very different fantasy tales - we just don't bother to in most cases.

Sci-Fi. There are tons of great settings that already exist (Star Trek, Traveller, Aliens/Predator Universe, 5th Element, Pitch Black/Riddick Universe, Starship Troopers, I could go on) with sourcebooks galore. Traveller, in particular, has mountains of material - planets and races and ships all ready to go.

Additionally, I think the important part of the setting is theme and content - and how you use the elements of technology, society, space travel, etc to tell stories and set up adventures/encounters. I'm sure that you'll tell a good story and we'll have fun in an SW game. But it will still feel and ride like SW. And there is just so much more we could do differently, to experience different flavors and themes. Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

There are a ton of Sci Fi games out there, I'd say look around and see if something grabs 'ya.

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:12 am

lol! I didn't say all fantasy was Tolkien, I said all D&D\PF is Tolkien (humans, elves, orcs, dwarves, dragons, magic and a medieval setting).  You are correct that we haven't bothered to expand beyond what is provided in the books in the most cases.

There is plenty of unique fantasy out there, I agree, in literature, movies and video game lore.  But why don't we use it?

It's way more work to re-do everything for the GM.
    It's hard to make a ton of modifications and still have a balanced game.
    It's hard for the players to "see" the world, if they aren't familiar with it.

I ran into all 3 problems with the last story I ran (planestravel, multi-verse classes, new rules, etc).  I saw it all clearly in my head, but I know that the player group struggled with something that was very foreign, as we discussed in several emails.  I appreciate the efforts Matt made, truly, he drove the story at times.  But it shouldn't be that hard to keep players and storytellers on the same page.

maybe it's just the forum style
    maybe it's just gaming as opposed to books\movies\video games
    maybe it's just a disconnect on the part of storyteller and player alike
    I don't know....

But it seems like stories run the smoothest (and with less effort) when players and GMs share a common understanding of the elements of the story.  D&D\PF provides that.  Star Wars provides that.  We all get a picture in our head (even if it isn't 100% the same) of an elven ranger or wookie or a dragon's lair or a spaceport  on Tattoine.  I think that fills in the gaps and keeps us all on the same page.

I think we could all see Star Trek for sure.
    I have no clue what Traveler is all about?
    Thank you for the good suggestions.  This is clearly just in the brainstorming phase, as I hope to be a player in Matt's game for a few months at least.

@Josh, @Matt, @Rob, @Alan - was the headache (and I know it was, lol) of the last game worth it to play in a unique setting?  I enjoyed telling the story, but I do wonder if its just more fun to play something that is easier to follow on the forums and see over months.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:48 am

I truly enjoyed the last game. I just didn't quite get the overall thing until we were at the end.

Traveler is a really old Game Designers Workshop game that, I think, has been reskinned recently. It's pretty wide-open sci-fi gaming..

personally, never really cared for it. A group I was with played it a couple times a long, long time ago. The system was really clunky, if I'm remembering it right.

I think the point about "seeing it" is definitely a problem with the forum. I'm not sure why, but it's happened before.

And frankly, uh, yeah, nearly all fantasy (medieval style fantasy anyway) is influenced by Tolkein. Give me an example (that people actually read/watch etc.) that isn't?

D&D and PF certainly are
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:22 am

whit10 wrote:Rob, I have a ton of old gaming books left. Do people still pay money for them?  I'd love to sell them all if people want them.

There is a thing and it's called Ebay..

Star Wars is not sci fi, it is space fantasy. Personally I would enjoy a "hard science"style sci fi game. I believe Chris was running such a thing for awhile using d20 Future, but it fizzled when I came into it. Maybe my guy (a mech pilot) wasn't right for the vibe of the game. Sorry for that.

I tend to agree with Matt on this one. Tolkien certainly had some significant influence on the genre, but I don't think he is the bench mark for all of fantasy. The creator of D&D, a guy named E.G.Gygax didn't really like Tolkien that much. He preferred human-centered campaigns. He grudgingly added Tolkien races to the game from fan pressure. Thus is why we see racial max limits in the early editions.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:36 am

@Rob - your presence certainly didn't kill the sci-fi game, no worries. Mike Dillion was also part of that story and he dropped out right around the time you joined. I had run that game for a while and (if I recall) I just needed a break from GM duties (I do tend to over-stay my patience as a GM). I think when it was my turn again, I ran some SW instead.

@Josh - yes, you can sell all your old gaming books, expect to get $2-$10 per book, unless you have a mint condition of something really rare, like original Temple of Elemental Evil or unopened Red Box core D&D (not AD&D). The rest... there were just so many of them printed that they are common.

When was the last time we had a fantasy game that excluded the Tolkien races? never. we always run the same thing: tolkien races, medieval setting

I am not bashing any past or present games. The GM always does a good job and tells a fun story.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:06 am

Random notes:

Rob is really well versed at this - but there are a ton of good systems out there that as a group, we pretty much ignore. Saying we can't play other stuff because of system limitations is just saying we don't feel like looking around.

There are heaps of D20 SciFi materials out there. There is a D20 Traveller edition. I know I distributed a large collection of material several years ago.

POINT of order: I will start a google drive that we can all share PDFs in.

As far as examples of non-Tolkien fantasy - there are so many that I've recommended to you all to read over the years. Thing is -
    you'd have to actually read and explore the genre to see it. But almost every time I try to present a game without the typical Tolkien races the players complain about being restricted, instead of trying to delve into and help forge new settings.

I will point out that my recent "Shadow and Light" campaign did not have the typical races, and while it was medieval in setting, offered a departure from our typical settings and new mechanics.

Chris's campaign where we used PF as a base was a great Fantasy campaign in a novel setting. It lacked in some mechanics, that PF just did not have - I think with a broader experience we might have known of a system more suited to the concept, but it worked out ok.

I'd be happy to throw together a list of very un-Tolkien fantasy authors for those interested.
    Bones
    Bones

Post  Bones Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:30 am

Back on my phone....

I forgot that L&S used different human variants, good point. That was a fun game and I hope we return for more!

Gaming is different than personal reading. We are not going to all read some author just to play in that world. I am reading some of the new SW novels. Lords of the Sith is entertaining which is probably why I have renewed interest in running SW, lol.

Bones
    Bones

Post  Bones Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:50 am

I just found 5e Volos guide to races and monsters, lots of good content for new races
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:30 pm

I think that part of the issue is that there is a very wide gulf between fantasy interest among players.  Personally, a world of nothing but humans could be just fine if there was considerable variety. There are a ton of obscure fantasy novels out there. It doesn't mean that they are necessarily good or compelling, not that I'm saying they suck or anything; I don't really read any fantasy so I'm not going to even try to make an actual argument.

Tolkein has the influence whether people like Gygax want to admit it or not.  He was the first one to actually publish something along those lines. Until then, the idea of "fantasy" literature was limited to Viking sagas, older Germanic stories, Greco-Roman myths and Anglo-Saxon stories (which I'm sure have their counterparts in African, Asian and other cultures).

Gygax's world is still based on dragons, magic and monsters.  Hmm, sounds just a BIT familiar.  I'm not saying that there hasn't been a departure from this for other games/works of literature but, when it comes to popular culture and fantasy... Tolkein is the foundation stone.

Beowulf, the Sagas of Eric the Red and Leif Ericson, the poetic Edda and several other forms of early medieval literature were the basis for much of what Tolkein wrote.  Fiction and literature haven't really changed that much, fundamentally, since the days of Virgil, Homer and other ancient writers.

Last edited by whit10 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:45 pm

Bones wrote:Back on my phone....

I forgot that L&S used different human variants,  good point.  That was a fun game and I hope we return for more!  

Gaming is different than personal reading.  We are not going to all read some author just to play in that world.  I am reading some of the new SW novels.  Lords of the Sith is entertaining which is probably why I have renewed interest in running SW, lol.

Whatever I am reading/watching tends to pull me towards a game genre, too!

I'm not suggesting that everybody read a new author to play in a specific campaign. Everybody enjoys what they enjoy and that is cool, nobody's choice of entertainment is wrong or lesser. So let me be clear that I am not judging other's tastes. I'm just stating that both genres have really broad possibilities beyond Tolkien and Star Wars/Trek, and that you'd need to experience them to see the contrasts.

I read about 30 fantasy and scifi titles in a year, there are definitive differences in sub-genres, and I know my way around them. Which is why offered to suggest some good stuff to highlight very un-Tolkien examples of fantasy if anyone is interested. Or cool SciFi, for that matter.

Bones
    Bones

Post  Bones Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Ok, Matt... You got my juices flowing now!
    More to post when I get home tonight
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:05 pm

I'm all for exploring variations in sci-fi and fantasy. While I don't read a ton for fun anymore (technical manual and report writing at work sap a lot of my thirst for it), I do enjoy the genres quite a bit and have seen a lot of variation. Growing up a Heinlein fan, quirky social ideas aside, he did a lot with alternate universe and time travel and that's something I think is under-utilized in RPGs of all sorts.

I like the idea of sci-fi in a tighter scale like Firefly or The Expanse. Even one fully developed solar system is big enough to tell a ton of stories and have variations in society, culture, and technologies.

One idea I've had digging at my mind for a while comes from Game of Thrones. The merits and shortcomings of the series are vast and debatable, but one thing I was always struck by is that there are only a handful of people in the entire realm that can do real "magic", most of it coming from channeled deity power. That scarcity makes its impact even more powerful. I'm not sure how that scarcity translates to an RPG, but it's one of those "outside the Tolkien norm" Matt's talking about.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:11 pm

MAS wrote: Saying we can't play other stuff because of system limitations is just saying we don't feel like looking around.

Well said!
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Bones wrote:I just found 5e Volos guide to races and monsters, lots of good content for new races

My Tabaxi would have been killing it. Next time, maybe.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:14 pm

Whitey wrote:I like the idea of sci-fi in a tighter scale like Firefly or The Expanse. Even one fully developed solar system is big enough to tell a ton of stories and have variations in society, culture, and technologies.

Totally.
    Firefly has a bit of a wild west feel too.
    The Expanse does a great job of sci fi without introducing a score of new alien races. Not surprisingly, the series had origins as a d20 Future campaign!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:38 pm

The main issue:

This forum takes for-bloody-ever in the first place for scenes to progress and combat to take place. Introducing an entirely alien concept with a very new rules set posts immeasurable problems for this forum setting.

Learning new rule sets over and over again is a pain in the ass. I think just about any setting can be adapted to D&D or PF. Just my 2 cents

...and in response to Matt, it's not necessarily that we don't feel like looking around. Who has the time?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:30 pm

The d20 system is fairly malleable. With a little imagination it can be shaped into nearly whatever the GM has in mind. But it's inherently swingy, and has other shortcomings too. (like the fact that spellcaster "wins" by level 10 (or earlier), while fighter becomes his caddie). We could always use 3d6 in place of a d20, for a more forgiving bell curve. And with certain genres, magic need not apply.

Most char oppers prefer a point-based character builder. One that covers all abilities. There are a few systems in d20 that cover it, like the PF race builder which we've toyed with.

Mutants&Masterminds is a fairly well-regarded point-based system for d20. Crunchy, like Champions, but d20-based. I've not tried it yet... The base system is geared for supers, but can certainly be used for other (lower powered) genres.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:08 pm

please join me in the following new forum and thread

https://lodgestgaming.forumotion.com/t366-collaborative-world-building-concept#19016

for anyone interested, I would like to start working on a unique story for our next game after Matt is finished
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:18 pm

@GM - sorry for the extra chatter, will post here next time
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:58 am

just an FYI on the game that I am developing in the other thread....

All are welcome to play and creating your own world is NOT a requirement.  It was just offered as an option if you wanted to add your own flavor.  Please check out the thread, if you haven't recently.

https://lodgestgaming.forumotion.com/t366p50-collaborative-world-building-concept#19116

I have been working hard on building the world myself.  I already have 12+ planes and a rough planar map.  Players are certainly free to choose a realm that I created\adapted and pick a character from there with no extra work on their part.  

I will update the planar map this weekend, as I have tomorrow off and some extra time.  I apologize if I wasn't clear and it sounded like building a world was required.  That is not the case, it was just an offer for collaboration.  

Options to play in the planar road game:

1) full collaboration - build your own world, race, concept.  We fit it into the planar map together.

2) partial collaboration - choose an existing plane, create your own race\concept, build a character that represents your creation

3) full player only - choose an existing plane\race\culture, build a character, GO!

The player group will choose, before we start, what kind of story you want to play.  I have some large story-arc ideas but I am open to your choice of direction.  I like running sandbox style adventures where the players choose the direction of the story within a GM framework.

for example:

planar protection\law enforcement - the party is actively defending the planes, maybe as a group of inter-planar marshalls\wardens

"I don't care about your revolution, Princess.  I am in it for the money!" - mercenary group, like shadow runners, can do any kind of job if the price is right

criminals (not stupid evil) - actively working outside the law, for personal reasons or profit

"hey, I wonder what's over there?" - explorers, not involved in any politics, just want to explore the multiverse, take missions that require lots of plane travel

study if the current pace of D&D remains slow, I will start as a side-game for anyone that has time and interest
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:49 am

That was a game that o got great playtime value out of. I picked up the new one as well, and it's awesome. The improvements to the nemesis system are awesome.

Sidenote: there's a podcast called Critical Role which has is a group of professional voice actors with improv train8ng who have been playing a dnd campaign for years. Many of them voice for the shadow of mordow/shadow of war games. Bonus that they're all really great dnd players as well. Worth a listen, although if you listened to an episode each day it would take you 3 months to get through the story.
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue86/98Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue11/11Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:56 pm

It's all good, you just hit "edit" instead of quote
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:42 pm

I'm a little girl and I love pink butterflies.
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 3 Joe_ma11

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am