Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Re: OoG Discussion

Post  navyik on Tue May 08, 2018 9:27 pm

So can a flaming sphere move through partial squares? Otherwise y'all kinda boxed my spell in where it is useless...
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Hmm, that's a toughie. *Time to apply the power of DM rules adjudication headband*

Notice: You do not need Line of Sight to direct the Flaming Sphere, but you do need Line of Effect.

"Flaming Sphere
    2 conjuration
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 60 ft
    Components: V S M (A bit of tallow, a pinch of brimstone, and a dusting of powdered iron)
    Duration: Up to 1 minute
    Classes: Druid, Wizard
    A 5-foot-diameter sphere of fire appears in an unoccupied space of your choice within range and lasts for the duration. Any creature that ends its turn within 5 feet of the sphere must make a Dexterity saving throw. The creature takes 2d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    As a bonus action, you can move the sphere up to 30 feet. If you ram the sphere into a creature, that creature must make the saving throw against the sphere's damage, and the sphere stops moving this turn.
    When you move the sphere, you can direct it over barriers up to 5 feet tall and jump it across pits up to 10 feet wide. The sphere ignites flammable objects not being worn or carried, and it sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet.
    At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 2nd."

The rules for squeezing (PHB p. 192):
    "Squeezing into a Smaller Space: A creature can squeeze through a space that is large enough for a creature one size smaller than it. Thus, a Large creature can squeeze through a passage that's only 5 feet wide. While squeezing through a space, a creature must spend 1 extra foot for every foot it moves there, and it has disadvantage on attack rolls and Dexterity saving throws. Attack rolls against the creature have advantage while it’s in the smaller space."

In reference to the Flaming Sphere, I will say you can squeeze it through a smaller space, but it follows the same mechanics as a creature squeezing through a smaller space (x2 movement). Also, when ramming a creature, or even just putting the flaming sphere adjacent to the target creature (after squeezing), allows Advantage on the target creature's Dex save.
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    30/30  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey on Thu May 10, 2018 4:21 pm

DM: Would you consider the dragon skull to be an "unsecured object"?

"A giant dragon's skull dominates this damp, 15-foot-high cave. You see no other remains, suggesting that the skull was brought here from elsewhere."

Also, what is the material at EF-5? Is there a movement penalty across it?
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Thu May 10, 2018 8:34 pm

The Dragon Skull is unsecured.

The spaces with boulders are considered difficult terrain.

Features of the Area
    Illumination: Dim light. Glowing green moss grows on the walls and illuminates these caves.
    Pool: The pool is fed by a steady drip of water seeping through a crack in the ceiling. The pool is difficult terrain, but the bullywugs ignore this penalty because of their swamp walk trait.
    Ceiling: The ceiling is 15 feet high throughout.
    Difficult Terrain: Squares occupied by boulders are difficult terrain.
    Dragon Skull: The bullywugs found this enormous black dragon's skull in a nearby swamp and brought it here. The interior of the skull is large enough to house a Medium creature. The skull grants total cover to any creature inside it.
    Pit: This sinkhole is 15 feet deep and contains the bones of past meals. A creature falling in takes 1d6 damage. The pit's walls are uneven (Athletics check to climb).
    Pile of Skulls: Creatures can move into the square without penalty simply by kicking the skulls out of the way.
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Thu May 17, 2018 9:28 pm

I was super stoked to pick up the new Tome of Foes D&D book (alternate cover) tomorrow, but apparently it's already been recalled. Some issue with the printing and bad binding.

Fair warning if any of you guys ordered it, you might want to wait for the replacements!
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 on Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 pm

I dont even have volos yet, but mordenkainens sounds so great. Dragon Talk, the official WOTC DnD podcast, has a special segment every week with the game designers and theyve been talking about Tome of Foes content for quite some time now.
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 am

I am looking forward to it. Especially the higher level CR monsters content. The Monster Manual has woefully few monsters that can challenge higher level characters.

By the way, word on the Net is that the standard cover edition of Tome of Foes is fine. If that doesn't matter to you, then you should be able to pick it up soon.

I would also recommend Volo's Guide. It's got a lot of good crunch for both players and GM's. Quite a few more monsters to add to the game, and some great fluff and lairs maps for a few of the standard D&D baddies.
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris on Tue May 22, 2018 12:28 pm

not getting emails about updates, even though boxes all checked
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    30/30  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey on Tue May 22, 2018 12:39 pm

I get them sporadically. It seems that if I log in on different devices that buggers the notifications for a while.
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    30/30  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey on Wed May 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Gentlemen, after Friday I will have to temporarily, but indefinitely, suspend my mapmaking duties. I'm changing jobs and will be off next week, then getting acclimated at the new company for a bit after that. I imagine I'll have similar capabilities as far as mapmaking goes, it's kind of a prerequisite for a civil engineering firm, but until I get that sorted is anyone open to taking over?

I don't expect the transition to affect my character's participation.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 25, 2018 10:38 pm