Chris
trouble7332
8 posters

OoG Discussion

Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue30/30OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: OoG Discussion

Post  Whitey Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:51 am

Gah! Been traveling for work all week and just now getting caught up to the rest of my world. I'm still down to play if y'all will have me. I caught up on all the other threads, which is a fair bit to digest.

Rob, if you wouldn't mind pulling Rip off the board I'd like to roll up a new character for this campaign. I don't want to hold up the group though and will need a day or two to get a character up to speed. Perhaps you could work me in at that time?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 am

Sure, whenever you're ready.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue30/30OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:18 am

OK. Working on a dwarven cleric of Kord. Tempest domain. Soldier background. Combat Medic.

He is the eye of the storm, the pause between lightning strike and thunderbolt, the rains that cleanse, the monsoon that wreaks indiscriminate destruction.

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:41 am

Whitey wrote:
    He is the eye of the storm, the pause between lightning strike and thunderbolt, the rains that cleanse, the monsoon that wreaks indiscriminate destruction.

Niiiiiiiice. Twisted Evil
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Creeping out of self-imposed exile. Going to look things over and make up a character ASAP. But first -

I owe you all an apology and an explanation for disappearing.

I am sorry for ghosting out on the game I was running. I should have at least had to courtesy to post up and let you guys know what was up. This was not only a breach of civil etiquette but more importantly, I think of trust - in that I was overcome by anxiety and unwilling to admit how bad things were getting. Becuase things got bad over the last 3 months. I spent most of them doing the barest of minimums required to keep my business from collapsing and otherwise, staring off into space. I canceled out on just about every social event or responsibility I could duck and hid out.

For those of you who did not already know, my marriage to Nicole was off the rails for several years and came to a crisis point last summer, where it has remained parked since. This has snowballed into (or maybe has always been part of) some larger hybrid existential-midlife crisis thing. It just got to be too much, and when it did - the thought of even talking about it was too much. I would have liked to have been able to reach out at that point instead of isolating myself but I have started to realize just how closed off of a person I really am.

Brothers, I am sorry that I failed to treat you with the respect that you have earned.

Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue86/98OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue11/11OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:40 pm

You're always welcome when I'm in the room. We've all had some dark or difficult times in our lives, but we come through the other side stronger.

Holler anytime you need. You have friends.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Love you old friend. My ear is yours without judgement. Just holler.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:22 pm

There's always an open hug and plate full of the Shack's spicey-green chili heuvos for you
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:41 am

^ What they said.

We're in your corner, bruv, and will back your play.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 pm

Appreciate your support guys. Sincerely means a lot. Feel like I am getting my feet on the ground again. At least as much as I ever do Wink

Will have my character posted later today.

Warlock, Celestial Patron. So he is warlock of a being of the upper planes with access to healing and divine spells. So he'll back up both the Cleric and Wizard and as a utility spellcaster and buff/debuffer.

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:16 pm

MAS wrote:Appreciate your support guys. Sincerely means a lot. Feel like I am getting my feet on the ground again. At least as much as I ever do Wink

lol! Honestly, you are at your best with your head in the clouds. You're a visionary and dreamer - play to your strengths.

MAS wrote:

Will have my character posted later today.

Warlock, Celestial Patron. So he is warlock of a being of the upper planes with access to healing and divine spells. So he'll back up  both the Cleric and Wizard and as a utility spellcaster and buff/debuffer.

That archetype sounds really cool! I can't wait to see it in action.

I don't think we qualify as a "party" anymore, more like a small army afro
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue86/98OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue11/11OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Yeah, encounter balance has really got to be a chore with a group this big. I use Kobold Fight Club to check my encounter designs and it has always made combat challenging so far.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 pm

KFC - cool website, I had never seen that before. I like the guide for different difficulties and it scales with larger parties
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:06 pm

I will get the map updated later. Our internet was down this morning and I forgot to put the maps on a flash drive, so they are at home.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:18 pm

Glad to see Matt's back in the game!

I hope the latecomers realize they are seriously screwing up the CR of my encounter.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:32 pm

Robyo wrote:Glad to see Matt's back in the game!

I hope the latecomers realize they are seriously screwing up the CR of my encounter.

Slip me in after the current encounter if you like.

The character is posted and ready! No backstory yet, but I can fill that in.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:15 pm

Robyo wrote:Glad to see Matt's back in the game!

Reinforcements?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 am

Nah, everyone can start together on the road, we'll just retcon our memories a bit.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:03 am

He was just down the road a bit.... You know.... answering nature's call in the bushes. He had a bit too much hagas last night at the tavern
    trouble7332
    trouble7332
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue71/71OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (71/71)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  trouble7332 Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:49 pm

So what's the general rule on discussion before actions and planning as a team? Does that need to be conveyed during turns or can they be discussions on another thread, etc?

M
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:30 pm

trouble7332 wrote:So what's the general rule on discussion before actions and planning as a team? Does that need to be conveyed during turns or can they be discussions on another thread, etc?

M

In general we should try to communicate in character. Being an established group, however, we might have some historical mechanics that could be planned in a separate thread.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 am

Which is kind of a funny forum mechanic, given that live games "table talk" all the time
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:21 pm

navyik wrote:
    trouble7332 wrote:So what's the general rule on discussion before actions and planning as a team? Does that need to be conveyed during turns or can they be discussions on another thread, etc?

M

In general we should try to communicate in character.  Being an established group, however, we might have some historical mechanics that could be planned in a separate thread.

I agree - it is reasonable to assume that we would/could have some SOPs (a playbook, if you will) in place having fought and adventured together.

This could be a rabbit hole side-game to collaborate on and develop together as a team - or we can kind of make it as we role play, ie =

So-and-so shouts out "Thunder left" which he knows that everyone will know means that "blah blah blah blah".

I think it'd be more fun to design some custom "plays" for this specific party, fine-tuned to our character builds, intended to maximize everyone's strengths.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:15 am

Hey guys, since there's a lot of players in this game, I am designating a 48-hour window for players to take their actions. We can add another day's grace. But after 2 (or 3) days time, we will go to the next person in line.

The pace is slow enough already without having to wait for players to check in.

Personally, I try to check in at least once a day.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:27 am

We used to have a 24hr rule. If you check in during the current turn, you can still act, like a de facto delay. If you miss a whole round, you just miss it. Especially with a big party, this is a good idea and not critical if someone gets busy and misses a round.

In a smaller party, the dynamics are different.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:51 am

Agreed.
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:10 pm

'Tis fair
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:25 pm

Congratulations to Trouble on his engagement!
    trouble7332
    trouble7332
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue71/71OoG Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (71/71)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  trouble7332 Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:51 pm

Thanks everyone!!!

Also, general question. How much time does an attack round last? Was wondering how many attacks I get with a spell lasting a minute. Just the first? Two or three?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:10 am

I know PF was 6 seconds per round, 10 rds per minute. Not sure about 5e, but probably similar
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:02 am

Chris is correct. 6 seconds per round and everyone's turn takes place during those 6 seconds.

In the case of ensaring strike (concentration, up to 1 minutes), the spell would last for 10 rounds unless the target eventually makes their save, dies, or your concentration is broken (either from failing a CON check after taking damage or from it being overwritten by you casting another concentration spell).

trouble7332
    trouble7332
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  trouble7332 Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:56 pm

So then does that mean that the spell holds the person for those 10 rounds or until they break the spell, but does that spell only work on the one arrow, on every arrow I shoot during those 10 rounds?
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:30 am

The spell says:

The next time you hit a creature with a weapon attack before this spell ends, a writhing mass of thorny vines appears at the point of impact, and the target must succeed on a STR saving throw or be restrained by the magical vines until the spell ends. A Large or larger creature has advantage on this saving throw. If the target succeeds on the save, the vines shrivel away. While restrained, the target takes 1d6 piercing damage at the start of each of its turns. A restrained by vines or one that can touch the creature can use its action to make a STR check against your spell save DC. On a success, the target is freed

So only the first target hit with an arrow after casting that spell. No other targets or arrows are involved.

Caveat: the rules serve only as a butler to the DM. He might rule whatever way he chooses, but some of us (the rules lawyers) expect that anything written in the rules is to be played as such. The great ebb and flow of the game needs to give the DM ultimate control for the benefit of narrative advancement and intrigue.
    trouble7332
    trouble7332
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  trouble7332 Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:33 am

Question. On an attack or spell that says "anyone within 5 feet", does that work diagonally?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:36 pm

trouble7332 wrote:Question. On an attack or spell that says "anyone within 5 feet", does that work diagonally?

yes
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Mike and Matt. Do either Cyc or Quxx want the billowing cloak or a potion of clairvoyance?
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:06 pm

Not sure I follow. Is this loot from the brigands? Didn't see it in Rob's list of stuff Quxx and Nok found...
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Whitey wrote:Not sure I follow. Is this loot from the brigands? Didn't see it in Rob's list of stuff Quxx and Nok found...

We are an established party heading into civilization after looting the bowels of Khundrukar, an ancient dwarven mountain ruin inhabited by Orcs and Goblins.
    The Loot threat began with spoils to be divided, but you and Matt were not in yet. Some of us got an extra item or two. You are welcome to the cloak or potion if you like.
    Leirthal would not suffer the potion to go to the grunting jocks of the party. Too powerful for their weak minds.
    We also each got gold and silver. See in the loot thread...
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Cyclone doesn't much care for a cloak that billows without a breeze. Kord's winds blow often enough to keep things cinematic in Cyc's world.

The potion seems best left to the more inquisitive types.

He would have snagged the healing potion that Bru has, but Cyc sees no harm done for the big guy to have it
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Bru also grabbed a spare potion of healing, which is up for grabs. Maybe it's a good idea for Cyc to have, or any healer for that matter.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:51 pm

I'll hang onto it if no one else has a pressing need.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:59 pm

Robyo wrote:
    Hiding takes an Action.

There's no penalty to move while being stealthy/sneaking.  But if he's moving, he's not hiding.

Ok, I disagree about this...  the skill is called Stealth, not Hide.

the wording of the skill specifically says that you can use Stealth while moving

Stealth. Make a Dexterity (Stealth) check when you
    attempt to conceal yourself from enemies (HIDE), slink past
    guards, slip away without being noticed, or sneak up on
    someone without being seen or heard.

Nok, or anyone, can move while using Stealth to avoid being noticed, seen or heard

Yes, it takes an action to Hide. So a turn would be: Action = use Stealth, move (without penalty) while using Stealth to avoid detection
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:18 am

Where did I said you couldn't sneak?  You just can't hide from someone that is observing you (mucker). That is all.

Just because you announce that you're sneaking, all of a sudden those observing you can't see you? No.

It's the same discussion we had in your game. Stealth is not the same as Invisibility.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Ah, my bad then. I was assuming no observer and you were assuming an observer, as I was wrong about the froogyman.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:01 am

Squad tactics in the cave = Clusterfuck

We are a hot mess you guys. No more halflings at the tip of the spear. We have to clear this bottleneck.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:04 am

Whitey wrote:Squad tactics in the cave = Clusterfuck

We are a hot mess you guys. No more halflings at the tip of the spear. We have to clear this bottleneck.

Nok will happily clear out, if he is still alive.  In all fairness, it was an ambush and whoever was out front would have gotten pounded with the GM's recent dice.  He was hitting  19+ most of the time. That's why it's nice to have a cleric Cool
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:08 am

Chris wrote: In all fairness, it was an ambush and whoever was out front would have gotten pounded with the GM's recent dice.  

Yep. Which is why that half-orc with 30% more HP you blew past is supposed to go in first. I'll be along shortly to save your skin, but what I'd much rather do is drop Shatter into the middle of these goons and clear a few out. Twisted Evil
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:33 am

Drop your shat!
    Nok will be fine, heals are for after the fight
    trouble7332
    trouble7332
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  trouble7332 Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Not sure how it will effect, but if there is a way to clear Nok out but leave the group intact, I should be able to land up to 11hits on my next turn. If there is any kind of bonus attack someone can press on me, then I could hit do that twice in one turn. I just want to get Nok out of the blast zone. I can still navigate 8 hits if he's still in there, but I need as many of them within 5feet of the initial hit without our comrades in a 5ft connecting space from the arrow hit.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:01 pm