Robyo
ubertruder
9 posters

OoG during Pirates

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue35/35OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue0/0OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

OoG during Pirates Empty OoG during Pirates

Post  Chris Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:42 pm

so far possible characters....

Whitey - DB monk, splash sorc
    Josh - rogue
    Alan - battle master 5 / Bard of Lore 3
    Mike B -
    Joe -
    Rob -
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue35/35OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

OoG during Pirates Empty Re: OoG during Pirates

Post  Chris Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:11 am

whit10 wrote:good stuff man, are we talking about a world where there are the equivalent of frigates and "ships of the line"?

are we doing the standard for magic items?  two uncommon or one rare? (or whatever the groups were)

moved here, other thread for rules please

yes, there are bigger ships and lots of different kinds - elf fast sailing ships, dwarven ironsides, etc

I think the strength of your piracy will be in boarding parties not broadsides Twisted Evil

as for magic items, everyone starts with 2 items of +1 quality

for the rest, we will have a little fun with the booty in the first chapter Cool
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue19/19OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue1/0OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:20 pm

sounds good to me!

I figured that boarding parties would be the way to go... I'm still crafting my Rogue accordingly
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue68/68OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Boarding pikes?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:56 pm

at least visually in my head I see....

flying heroes boarding ships
    leaping monks
    teleporting on board
    druids using their magic to affect the winds
    fire magic would be particularly deadly on a wooden ship
    water magic would be particularly helpful
    spells like Mending to make minor ship repairs

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:33 pm

prelude chapter is up

https://lodgestgaming.forumotion.com/t403-revenge-is-a-dish-best-served-with-cold-cuts#21138

no rush, just to give you an idea of how the story begins and where to fill in your own background information

I would like to start this weekend, if folks can finish their characters by then.

questions here please, next thing in Cold Cuts should be your first discussions\actions in character. Just for clarity, you don't have your Cog yet, I am hoping you can end up with Rogan's Cog as your own
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue30/30OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Fire magic IS deadly to ships, and Pyriannix is going to have lots and lots of fire magic. It’s probably going to be a problem at some point.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue19/19OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:48 pm

yeah, we should just introduce you as "ship's Bane." Just don't burn the loot!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Chris wrote:

Whitey - OP pyromancer
    Josh - rogue arcane trickster
    Mike B -
    Joe -
    Rob -

Chris wrote:

when did you sneak that update in?
    I love it cheers
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:33 pm

can the Rogue's proficiency with Hand Crossbow be swapped for flintlock pistol? (forgive me if you already said this somewhere)
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue30/30OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Mike B is in, but likely won’t get a character built until the weekend.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:50 pm

Hooray!
    Glad B is joining, its been so nice to hear old elvish spoken
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:59 pm

Hand crossbow does d6 so it is equivalent to Dragon pistol which also does d6

Guns have slightly reduced ranges but have the scattershot option to offset
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:38 am

all true on guns... one problem with that though, you keep the same damage yet the reload time is crap (or should be, truthfully)?. There should be some sort of balance, or, if the damage code is kept, make them non-martial weapons.

... muskets were perfect for uneducated peasants to learn the use of. They're pretty damned easy to use (and inaccurate as hell). Just to say it.

Rifles require training

Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue86/98OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue11/11OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:45 am

Hmmm. What to play? Im open to suggestions from the crew, but maybe a druid might be fun? I could see a lot of water-based elemental magic being fun thematically.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:51 am

whit10 wrote:all true on guns... one problem with that though, you keep the same damage yet the reload time is crap (or should be, truthfully)?.  There should be some sort of balance, or, if the damage code is kept, make them non-martial weapons.

... muskets were perfect for uneducated peasants to learn the use of. They're pretty damned easy to use (and inaccurate as hell).  Just to say it.

Rifles require training

You make historically accurate and logical points. However.... ALIENS! Seriously, it's just a game. Guns are fun and full of pirate flavor.

Guns are just re-skinned xbows with the above mentioned changes

they do have the "Loading" feature, so they can only be fired once per round, unless you take the Gun Expert feat (crossbow expert)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:58 am

Josef909 wrote:Hmmm.  What to play?   Im open to suggestions from the crew, but maybe a druid might be fun?  I could see a lot of water-based elemental magic being fun thematically.

The crew and your eventual ship might benefit from a fire extinguisher, given a certain Pyro's fire affinity.  lol!

seriously, play whatever sounds fun!

I could also see a Druid using spells like Gust of Wind and Fog Cloud to some actual effect in seafaring.
    shapechange into a shark
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:41 pm

lol... I'm not making a big deal out of it. Whatever you rule is fine with me... but, again just to say it, crossbows are normally Simple weapons (why they made them martial for this is beyond me).

Load, point and shoot... not much to it.  But again, your game. I don't think my guy will be using them that much anyway
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:48 pm

whit10 wrote:lol... I'm not making a big deal out of it. Whatever you rule is fine with me... but, again just to say it, crossbows are normally Simple weapons (why they made them martial for this is beyond me).

Load, point and shoot... not much to it.  But again, your game. I don't think my guy will be using them that much anyway

I appreciate your easy-natured response, thanks!

I just don't have the energy to continually tweak the rules anymore. They playtested them thoroughly, so I am inclined to use them as much as possible. I already re-skinned xbows and added the scattershot since that seemed piratey and I found rules for it on the forum. I am also trying to honor the request to stay as close to core PHB as possible.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:09 pm

oh, no worries. I don't have the energy or desire to argue about rules anymore either. Fantasy games (and RPG's in general) just drive me crazy with some of their weird combat rules from time to time.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:19 pm

Chris wrote:

I just don't have the energy to continually tweak the rules anymore.  

whit10 wrote:oh, no worries.  I don't have the energy or desire to argue about rules anymore either.   

scratch   does this mean we are getting wiser or just older?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue68/68OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:32 pm

I may be going with the guild artisan Merchant Variant (below) instead of sailor. Can I have a second launch boat for the cog instead of the mule and cart? Also, I can take water vehicles as a regular proficiency, right?

Variant Guild Artisan: Guild Merchant Instead of an artisans’ guild, you might belong to a guild of traders, caravan masters, or shopkeepers. You don’t craft items yourself but earn a living by buying and selling the works of others (or the raw materials artisans need to practice their craft). Your guild might be a large merchant consortium (or family) with interests across the region. Perhaps you transported goods from one place to another, by ship, wagon, or caravan, or bought them from traveling traders and sold them in your own little shop. In some ways, the traveling merchant’s life lends itself to adventure far more than the life of an artisan.Rather than proficiency with artisan’s tools, you might be proficient with navigator’s tools or an additional language. And instead of artisan’s tools, you can start with a mule and a cart.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:50 pm

well, getting older isn't exactly a choice thing now is it? lol

I just can't be bothered by the small stuff anymore...if that's wisdom, then yeah for me
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:26 pm

@alan
    Interesting idea.... so are you like the broker that fences looted goods? More into procurements?

Flesh out how the concept would work as a pirate. What is the actual merchant guild? Is it like a pirate black market? What are you thinking?

As for the rules....

Water vehicles, like land vehicles, are in the same category as tools = tool proficiency

So you could substitute water vehicle prof for artisan tool prof, sure
    Yes, you can substitute the actual artisans tools for a launch (rowboat)
    Some of the tools are up to 50gp which is the cost of a rowboat
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:24 pm

I guess I am trying to confirm that if I get a variable proficiency slot that is not specified, can I use that for skills and/or tools or just skills specifically?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:04 pm

I have added a backstory that will put it into perspective.

My character is known, feared, and loathed widely as the pirate Cap'n Hawkes. That doesn't mean that he has to be this crew's Captain. If someone else is elected, Hawkes would still likely be high ranking and there will just be some humorous social diversions and comedy of errs to play out. Hawkes will, in future years, in fact be a Captain. I'm easy either way.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:07 pm

I don't understand the question, sorry.

We aren't talking about a variable or unspecified slot for anything. You asked about a specific trade of artisans tool prof for water vehicle prof from the merchant background, as mentioned in the variant kit description.
    Specific substitution of a rowboat for cart/mule which is substitute for the actual artisan tools themselves.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 pm

A bard gets 3 proficiencies of choice.  There is no list to limit them to, say, perception, stealth, and athletics.  Can those also be used for tools of choice?

I don't plan on being a pirate who doesn't know how to sail...
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Ah, bard choices, sure water vehicle prof is a valid choice there. Or any tools, yes

Ok, I read your backstory. Did Hawkes join up with Gundren Goldseekers crew after that?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:16 pm

Chris wrote:Ah, bard choices, sure water vehicle prof is a valid choice there.  Or any tools, yes

Ok,  I read your backstory. Did Hawkes join up with Gundren Goldseekers crew after that?

Let's say that Gundren rescued him just to stick it to the man.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue60/112OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Just saw this, and am thinking Parrot Necromancer.

Seriously, though, Ill look things over and get a character up this weekend.

HEY JOSH!

I'm gonna be just south of you in Delta visiting and Army buddy on Sept 4-5, we should try and link up!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Great! Always love to have you join, brother bear

Please check the prelude thread for hooks and recent backstory
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:12 pm

that should be fine Matt... I'll have to work but I'm sure I can see you for a bit
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:37 pm

Siege weapons are martial?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:05 pm

what siege weapons are you talking about? Mortars and Siege Cannon? Planning on "storming the castle?" affraid
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:17 pm

Ships canon. Fort canons if we have occasion.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue60/112OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:42 pm

whit10 wrote:that should be fine Matt... I'll have to work but I'm sure I can see you for a bit

Cool man Ill keep in touch.

I'm building a Lizardman Monk with maybe a splash of Barb. BRUTAL.

"The creature from forbidden island!"
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:38 am

Yes. Ballistas, canons, etc are all martial weapons.

Your cog, once you steal it.... er.... liberate it in righteous vengeance, has 2 light canon and 1 empty medium weapon mount
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:19 am

oh, please say "steal" it's more honest that way... Very Happy

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:55 pm

When using scatter gun properties, do you still add Dex modifier to damage?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:22 pm

navyik wrote:When using scatter gun properties, do you still add Dex modifier to damage?

cheers good question!

study  Since this cuts both ways, YES you can add Dex modifier to damage.  It is a weapon, not a spell, even though it functions much like a spell.  And I have always loved shotguns  Twisted Evil

Also note, Scattershot is very expensive to use as it requires pellets.  remember that pellets and balls are not recoverable.

Pellets (40 handfuls) 40 gp – 1 lb. Special
    Gunpowder (40) 10 gp – 2 lb. –

so that's 1.25 gp per shot of scattershot, including the powder

I am not saying that we are going to count every shot, because that's just not fun.  But... in theory it is a very expensive weapon to use, so I want to see you get some  bang for your buck, literally.  

I know you guys will body rob every pirate corpse, so I am not worried about supply unless you end up on a deserted island or something, but we can address that if the circumstance actually occurs.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:13 pm

That brings up the question of stating gold... Do I roll? Do I just add up the value of starting equipment and spend accordingly? Do I re-skin directly shot for shot? (20 arrows = 20 loads of shot and powder)?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Nevermind, see that Whitey is rolling a monk, back to the drawing board
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:25 pm

MAS wrote:Nevermind, see that Whitey is rolling a monk, back to the drawing board

Whitey is sorc 5\monk 3 (last I saw anyways)

I am not sure how he intends to play Pyro, but it seems like more of a caster with a splash of elemental monkitude
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:32 pm

navyik wrote:That brings up the question of stating gold... Do I roll? Do I just add up the value of starting equipment and spend accordingly?  Do I re-skin directly shot for shot?  (20 arrows = 20 loads of shot and powder)?

crunch.... crunch.... crunch....

per page 38 of the 5e DMG, there is a table for starting wealth beyond 1st level.

500gp + 1d10 x 25 or 525-750gp and 1 common magic item

since I already gave you 2 items of +1 (common) quality and we will roll for more at the end of the prelude....

everyone starts with 500 gp and the 2 items of +1 quality

Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Whitey is indeed playing a failed elemental monk who is letting his sorceror freak flag fly
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:35 pm

actually +1 weapons are considered rare and +1 armor is uncommon according to the DMG.

Hence my question about dropping the +1 rapier (rare) for the Gloves of Thievery (uncommon)
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Ok. I have a rough draft up. I need to revise equipment and select a skill, fighting style, and a maneuver. Maybe a couple other touches.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Crispy is ready to rock.
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue86/98OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates Left_bar_bleue11/11OoG during Pirates Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:39 am

I'm still haven't settled on a char, but I'll make a decision and post by the end of the weekend.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content