Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Login or Register
Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Gaming Room

Dice - http://dicelog.com

D20 SRD - http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Pathfinder SRD - http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Modern SRD - http://www.d20moderndb.com/game-rules/d20-modern-srd

Pando - http://www.pando.com/

Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/


    Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Share
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:39 pm



    The crew's new friends lead them through the lush tropical forest and up to the base of the volcano, which they call "Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na".

    The kobolds scamper up on old lava chute and disappear into a crack so small that the crew would hardly have noticed it all.  



    The crew must duck and sometimes crawl to make it through the passage.  Perhaps this was an old side vent from a prior eruption?


    After a couple hundred feet, the crew emerges into a larger tunnel, probably an old lava tube.  Small glow stones are embedded in the walls and provide minimal light.



    The lava tube continues forward and downward, bending in an arc.  The crew suspects this would lead them deeper into the volcano itself.  

    The kobolds duck down a side tube and again crawl through a small crack in the rocks.  

    The crew emerges into an old magma chamber.  They are greeted by the last Soothsayer, her arms spread wide in welcome.



    The mouse-eared scout draws a spiral in the dirt, which gets wider as it descends.  The crew suspects it mirrors the shape of the lava tubes within the volcano.  The kobold warren is high up on his primitive map.  The heart of the volcano is deep down, several levels below.

    The kobolds tell of Scary Long Legs who stand guard to the main entrance, 1 floor down, which looks to be a larger side vent.

    Grumpy Makers have a hot room 3 levels down.  

    Lava Snakes patrol on all levels.

    Firetail has no legs, only a swirling tail of fire.  He is found in the deepest level, near the heart of the volcano, which is, or was, the kobolds sacred place.  

    The crew can see scattered piles of "shiny things" the kobolds have taken from other captured ships.


    Actions?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2802
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  MAS on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:04 pm

    ImO =

    We shoud gather as juch detailed infor from our kobolds as we can while taking a long rest. This may be the last oportunity we have to enjoy the secuirty/re-enforcements.




    a sense of unease is growing in Renda'...

    "Bad hunt, us go to power place of food, 2 times bad if food is cunning, 3 times bad if food knows hunt is on . First clan would create trap and bring food to them. Same good for second clan."
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:16 pm

    Remember, the dungeon will go on high alert once the patrols are missed. You have the element of surprise now.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2802
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  MAS on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:08 pm

    Chris wrote:Remember, the dungeon will go on high alert once the patrols are missed.  You have the element of surprise now.


    I dont care either way in he long run, but... my tactical assessment follows. We must imagine our surprise will evaoprate as we start blasting and killing our way downwards, regardless of when we start. If we sneak past a bunch of assets rather than kill them, we create an automatic wall of enemy between us and egress once we lose surprise, and are autmatically surounded and contained. Fighting and clearing all the way down is preferable to fighting down half-way while being attcked fom above and behind, and then having a bossffight while being attacked from above and behnd, and then fighting back through the remianing forces. A potential avoidance would be sucessful stealth all the way to, and during, the firetail fight, and then being able to negoiate safe passage back, or hole up at the bottom and long rest - becuase we will be out of assetts at that poin. Additionally, (party) even short-erested we are beginning at about 1/2 resource and will be burned down by the time we chew through minions and arrive. Try to rest here, or try to rest just outtside the boss lair? if we don't do it a least once before this boss fight we are asking for trouble.
    whit10
    whit10

    Posts : 4220
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  whit10 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:49 pm

    I'd have to agree. Sam could, theoretically, get pretty far down to cause a diversion but it would be far better if he had his 2nd level spells back (Invisibility most importantly). Just to say it...
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:04 pm

    totally your call. however, I think there is 1 other important element you are not considering (or at least didn't mention in your post)
    Whitey
    Whitey

    Posts : 349
    Join date : 2017-09-17
    Age : 43
    Location : ColoRADo

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    30/30  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Whitey on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:51 pm

    “Ummm...so my little Kobold cousins seem to want to help...and umm maybe the dwarves too!? Maybe uhh...Gundrin’s name carries some weight here? We could go ask them...”

    Crispy will ask the soothsayer in draconic if the party can count on the Kobold’s help...
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 pm

    Whitey wrote:

    Crispy will ask the soothsayer in draconic if the party can count on the Kobold’s help...



    "the We helpss, yess, but the We not fightss, no, kill the We they will. Scary Long Legs stepss on the We. No Touch'ems burn the We. Lava Snakes eat the We. Many We livess in Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na, many We, yess. "
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2802
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  MAS on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:24 pm

    Chris wrote:totally your call.  however, I think there is 1 other important element you are not considering (or at least didn't mention in your post)


    fuck, THE BOAT. we have to kill firetail before it can trash our ride. we should have Left and come back sneaky.
    navyik
    navyik

    Posts : 3153
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    68/68  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  navyik on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:25 pm

    "I agree, Wise One. Your people should not fight... YET. But while we go to fight Firetail, we need to avoid being surrounded. Your people are hunters. Can you set traps and create distractions? We just need some time to get to Firetail."

    "Tell us more about the Grumpy Makers."
    Josef909
    Josef909

    Posts : 318
    Join date : 2017-09-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Josef909 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:01 am

    Sjon pokes his staff at one of the nearby shiny piles.

    "I wonder if any of this is useful. Anything good in here?" he says to the mousey scout as he takes a closer look.

    Investigation check?
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 -1" :
    5 - 1 = 4

    "Someone check out the other piles. This one looks like mostly junk to me."
    navyik
    navyik

    Posts : 3153
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    68/68  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  navyik on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:38 am

    "Seems like everything here except for"The We" dwells in fire. There's got to be a weakness in that. Do we have a defense is a weapon against fire?"
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2802
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  MAS on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:18 am

    navyik wrote:"Seems like everything here except for"The We" dwells in fire.  There's got to be a weakness in that.  Do we have a defense is a weapon against fire?"

    "Always same. Eat them first." says Renda with a chuckle and toothy grin.
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:33 am

    MAS wrote:

    fuck, THE BOAT. we have to kill firetail before it can trash our ride. we should have Left and come back sneaky.

    that's yer problem right there, vern

    navyik wrote:"I agree, Wise One.  Your people should not fight... YET.  But while we go to fight Firetail, we need to avoid being surrounded.  Your people are hunters.  Can you set traps and create distractions?  We just need some time to get to Firetail."

    "Tell us more about the Grumpy Makers."

    Mouse looks excited, "Trapss, yes!  Trapss insides or outsides?  Scary Long Legs like to chase the We!  but the We too fast outisde"

    The soothsayer spits before she replies, "Grumpy Makers!"  All the other kobolds spit in ritual response to the name being spoken in the home.  "They cutss into the heart of Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na.  Openss crackss more, they do.  Long agoss, only No-touch'ems deep in the heart.  then 1 Grumpy Maker (more spitting) crawlss through.  then mores.  makes weaponss they do.  cut into the heart, they do.  now bigger troubles, lava snakes, scary long legs, Firetail.  the We cannot stops them."

    Josef909 wrote:Sjon pokes his staff at one of the nearby shiny piles.

    "I wonder if any of this is useful.  Anything good in here?" he says to the mousey scout as he takes a closer look.

    Investigation check?
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 -1" :
    5 - 1 = 4

    "Someone check out the other piles. This one looks like mostly junk to me."

    cheers good idea!  bad dice Sad

    1 inspiration point
    whit10
    whit10

    Posts : 4220
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  whit10 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:59 am

    Seeing Sjon's interest, Sam will look through the piles of rubbish as well.

    Investigation:

    Roll(1d20)+6:
    18,+6
    Total:24
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:19 pm

    whit10 wrote:Seeing Sjon's interest, Sam will look through the piles of rubbish as well.

    Investigation:

    Roll(1d20)+6:
    18,+6
    Total:24

    nice roll!

    Sam finds piles and piles of shiny metal debris, some of which he doesn't recognize



    amidst the endless junk, he finds 1 item that seems to hum with a faint magical aura

    whit10
    whit10

    Posts : 4220
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  whit10 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:15 pm

    Sam, with Sleight of Hand if necessary, pockets the item so that he can have one of the Wizard types ID it.

    Sleight of Hand:
    Roll(1d20)+11:
    13,+11
    Total:24
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:27 pm

    whit10 wrote:Sam, with Sleight of Hand if necessary, pockets the item so that he can have one of the Wizard types ID it.

    Sleight of Hand:
    Roll(1d20)+11:
    13,+11
    Total:24

    that exceeds any Passive Perception in the room.  nobody notices Sam pocket... whatever it is

    study remember, there are multiple ways to figure out what a magic item is:

    dmg pg 136

    Identify Spell

       The identify spell is the fastest way to reveal an item's properties.

    Short Rest

       Alternatively, a character can focus on one magic item during a short rest, while being in physical contact with the item. At the end of the rest, the character learns the item's properties, as well as how to use them. Potions are an exception; a little taste is enough to tell the taster what the potion does.

    Experimentation

       Wearing or experimenting with an item can also offer hints about its properties. For example, if a character puts on a ring of jumping, you could say, "Your steps feel strangely springy." Perhaps the character then jumps up and down to see what happens. You then say the character jumps unexpectedly high.
    navyik
    navyik

    Posts : 3153
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    68/68  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  navyik on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:39 am

    "Trapss outside, my friend," Hawkes replies to the mouse. "I need you to draw some of them away and keep them busy, and to protect the wooden duck. But you have to be wise about it. I don't want The We to be killed."
    whit10
    whit10

    Posts : 4220
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  whit10 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:08 am

    well, we said we were taking a short rest as well. Are we still doing that? If so, Sam will concentrate on the item since he's not doing much else
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:43 am

    whit10 wrote:well, we said we were taking a short rest as well.  Are we still doing that?  If so, Sam will concentrate on the item since he's not doing much else

    the party already did that outside, it was in the other thread
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:46 am

    navyik wrote:"Trapss outside, my friend," Hawkes replies to the mouse.  "I need you to draw some of them away and keep them busy, and to protect the wooden duck.  But you have to be wise about it.  I don't want The We to be killed."

    study ok, so the plan (so far) is that the kobolds will make traps and distraction outside the mountain to draw some enemies out, but AWAY from the ship

    the party is then going to begin working its way through the lava tubes in a downward spiral

    Chris wrote:

    The mouse-eared scout draws a spiral in the dirt, which gets wider as it descends.  The crew suspects it mirrors the shape of the lava tubes within the volcano.  The kobold warren is high up on his primitive map.  The heart of the volcano is deep down, several levels below.

    The kobolds tell of Scary Long Legs who stand guard to the main entrance, 1 floor down, which looks to be a larger side vent.

    Grumpy Makers have a hot room 3 levels down.  

    Chris wrote:
    The soothsayer spits before she replies, "Grumpy Makers!" All the other kobolds spit in ritual response to the name being spoken in the home. "They cutss into the heart of Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na. Openss crackss more, they do. Long agoss, only No-touch'ems deep in the heart. then 1 Grumpy Maker (more spitting) crawlss through. then mores. makes weaponss they do. cut into the heart, they do. now bigger troubles, lava snakes, scary long legs, Firetail. the We cannot stops them."

    Lava Snakes patrol on all levels.

    Firetail has no legs, only a swirling tail of fire.  He is found in the deepest level, near the heart of the volcano, which is, or was, the kobolds sacred place.  



    I am ready to go whenever the party is ready.  just let me know if there is anything else you want to do.  everyone should have finished their short rest mechanics on the other thread as that happened outside and before you entered the mountain
    whit10
    whit10

    Posts : 4220
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  whit10 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:17 pm

    Though Sam thinks this is a big mistake...

    "shall I scout ahead Cap'n?"
    Josef909
    Josef909

    Posts : 318
    Join date : 2017-09-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Josef909 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:06 pm

    Sjon chimes in after Sam, "What's our general strategy here, guys?"
    navyik
    navyik

    Posts : 3153
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    68/68  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  navyik on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 pm

    "We need ways to fight fire. Sjon, you can call down columns of water. What else do we have?"
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2802
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  MAS on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:16 pm

    matt thinks this is a misake, too - but renda dont care ;0
    Josef909
    Josef909

    Posts : 318
    Join date : 2017-09-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Josef909 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:26 pm

    I can do some healing as well if things get hairy, which they will, but let's try to be smart about our advantages. Sam should always scout ahead for intel.
    whit10
    whit10

    Posts : 4220
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  whit10 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:15 pm

    Sam gets a smile on his face... "how much black powder do we have with us?" (he takes out his powder horn for his pistols)
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:48 am

    The Kobold Cousins scamper out their secret entrance and prepare their traps and distractions outside.

    Sam leads the party, sneaking ahead through the lava tubes.  The air is hot and smells of sulfur and ash.  The crew moves slowly ahead and downward.  The descent is gradual, but noticeable.  







    The crew estimates that they have gone about halfway around the inside of the volcano.  Sam notices that small puddles of lava appear in the ground at this level.




    Sam also sees signs of architecture.  There are fallen columns inside the first chamber.  He sneaks up behind one and spots 2 Fire Giants guarding a carved archway.  He can feel a fresh cool breeze from the outside.   There are 2 massive skulls flanking the archway.  Sam isn't sure if they are carved or petrified bone.  They dwarf the Fire Giants.




    study map notes:

    fallen columns are 5ft high and provide 3/4 cover
    the sides of the map are the sides of the lava tubes
    in the center of the map is a 10ft high shelf with 2 fallen columns on top of it
    mind your step in the lava puddles, they are deadly and should be avoided. fair warning



    The rest of the crew is off the map, lower right corner.


    Stealth check, Sam


    If the FGs don't notice Sam, does the party want to proceed ahead by stealth or force or wait for the kobolds?  (or something else)
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2802
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  MAS on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:52 pm

    If we are going to attack, we might take a moment to determine what everyone is doing. since we are out of combat and can do that. We got a decent look at FG stats/capabilites before. Immobilizing one while we focus fire on the other (also would be great to pin it down, if possible. Jumping off with a good idea of who is doing what rather than winging it wiould give us a chance to maximize our remaining resources.
    whit10
    whit10

    Posts : 4220
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  whit10 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:42 pm

    uh, yeah, Sam wouldn't have gone anywhere yet until he had an answer to that question, given that he has an idea.

    But, since we're not getting that chance apparently...

    Stealth:

    Roll(1d20)+11:
    16,+11
    Total:27
    navyik
    navyik

    Posts : 3153
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    68/68  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  navyik on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:07 pm

    MAS wrote:If we are going to attack, we might take a moment to determine what everyone is doing. since we are out of combat and can do that. We got a decent look at FG stats/capabilites before. Immobilizing one while we focus fire on the other (also would be great to pin it down, if possible. Jumping off with a good idea of who is doing what rather than winging it wiould give us a chance to maximize our remaining resources.

    Whispered: "Combined fire is a MUST. We should all be attacking the same giant every time until one falls. Start at range until we have no choice."
    "Anyone got a way to keep them from running?"
    Josef909
    Josef909

    Posts : 318
    Join date : 2017-09-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Josef909 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:56 pm

    "My scorpion form can sometimes keep them from escaping, but I did not prepare most of my control magics last night. If I shape change, I am unable to cast, so I must choose wisely. I'll be reserving energy for drastic situations as well."
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:14 pm

    I doubt anyone other than Sam and maybe Hawkes use pistols, but it is whatever people have with them in their equipment.

    So it sounds like you want to engage the giants before the kobold distraction? I just need a decision if you are following Hawkes original plan or just attacking now.

    If its now, go ahead and engage at will. Or declare some preparations and await the kobold cousins' help
    navyik
    navyik

    Posts : 3153
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    68/68  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  navyik on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:42 am

    "Ok, let's see whether our little friends can draw these guys out."
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2802
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  MAS on Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:13 pm

    navyik wrote:
    MAS wrote:If we are going to attack, we might take a moment to determine what everyone is doing. since we are out of combat and can do that. We got a decent look at FG stats/capabilites before. Immobilizing one while we focus fire on the other (also would be great to pin it down, if possible. Jumping off with a good idea of who is doing what rather than winging it wiould give us a chance to maximize our remaining resources.

    Whispered: "Combined fire is a MUST.  We should all be attacking the same giant every time until one falls.  Start at range until we have no choice."
     "Anyone got a way to keep them from running?"

    "They be too busy try not get eat by Renda to run. He no fight far away."




    My move is 45 natural, I think I can "kite" this - be able to land melee hits and then move out of AOE ranges so you all can keep hammering them. I'll present them issues that prohibit free maneuver as best possible.
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:32 pm

    I would love see the kite mechanic from video games applied here. Renda will have his chance, fear not, hungry croc
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:29 pm

    the crew can hear whoops, yips and jeers from outside the cave entrance.  the 2 fire giants alert immediately to the noise.  they take up defensive positions inside the archway.  Sam can tell they are whispering to each other, but can't make out what they say.  one FG nods to the other who backs up to face the big skull on the right side.

    the fire giant holds his palm to the skull's forehead.  the massive skull glows red and speaks to the Fire Giant.  the language of the skull sounds like a combination of hisses and the crackling of wet logs in a fire

    study anyone speak Ignan?





    "మీరు ఇప్పుడు ఏమి కావాలి?"



    the FG replies in Giant, "intruders at the main gate, my lord!"

    the red skull hisses sharp orders

    "వాటిని నాశనం చెయ్యండి! నేను మీ స్థానాన్ని బలోపేతం చేస్తాను"

    the FG nods his head in obedience, "Your will, my hands"  

    He removes his hand and the skull returns to its former stony grey.  He smiles at his companion, "We hunt!"  
    The pair charge out of the archway and into the sunlight bellowing loudly.

    This room appears empty now.



    Actions?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2802
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  MAS on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:15 pm

    Renda lets slip a quiet, subtle hiss of disappointment as they depart, his lizard tongue darting across his lips as he mourns a lost meal.
    whit10
    whit10

    Posts : 4220
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  whit10 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:26 pm

    Back to the ship?
    Whitey
    Whitey

    Posts : 349
    Join date : 2017-09-17
    Age : 43
    Location : ColoRADo

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    30/30  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Whitey on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:32 am

    “Umm...looks like the uhh...little cousins’ distraction worked! Through the ummm...arch, then?”
    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 pm

    sorry if the map isn't clear. the archway leads to the outside. the giants ran outside the volcano to chase the kobold distraction.

    the other possible options are back the way you came, which is UP in the lava tubes and back to the kobold warren or DOWN the lava tubes deeper into the volcano
    whit10
    whit10

    Posts : 4220
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  whit10 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:38 pm

    well... time to kill the big kahuna?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2802
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  MAS on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:39 pm

    Chris
    Chris

    Posts : 6184
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Chris on Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:54 pm

    "down, down to goblin town!"  indeed, nice one, Matt

    Chris wrote:

    The mouse-eared scout draws a spiral in the dirt, which gets wider as it descends.  The crew suspects it mirrors the shape of the lava tubes within the volcano.  

    The kobold warren is high up on his primitive map.  crew started here = level 0

    The kobolds tell of Scary Long Legs who stand guard to the main entrance, 1 floor down, which looks to be a larger side vent.  kobold distraction cleared this level = level -1

    Grumpy Makers have a hot room 3 levels down.   level -3

    Lava Snakes patrol on all levels.

    Firetail has no legs, only a swirling tail of fire.  He is found in the deepest level, near the heart of the volcano, which is, or was, the kobolds sacred place.  


    Sam leads the crew through the main entrance chamber, carefully avoiding the lava puddles.

    The crew moves through another series of lava tubes, which descend deeper into the volcano.  The temperature is rising the deeper the crew travels.




    Sam spots the next chamber ahead (level -2).  He also sees that there is a river of lava flowing through this room and a stone bridge across it




    Sam alerts to the sound of footsteps....  heavy metal boots, loud thumps like rock on rock and some kind of brushing or sweeping sound.

    He creeps forward and can see the next chamber....



    the two large machines stand idle on the bridge, as if waiting
    the "Lava Snake" as the kobolds called him is hissing and arguing with 1 of the Grumpy Makers
    2 other Grumpy Makers are standing lookout in 20ft high stone towers armed with crossbows
    there are 5ft high stone barricades set up on the bridge

    None of the creatures in the room notice Sam and the crew has time to make preparations before engaging.    

    lava snake


    grumpy makers


    grumpy makers' creation = Steam-o-nauts



    the party is off map to the right side, in the lava tube and out of sight.  

    you have time to buff up or make other preparations.  remember, anything over a whisper might be heard from the room as the crew is really only 30-40ft away from the Steam-o-nauts


    actions?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2802
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  MAS on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

    Do we have the means to cross the party over55 ft of open space? Drop the bridge, hopefully eliminating the forward 2 FGs and pinning the rest of enemy in place across the chasm. We could try to wear them down at range, then cross after we win.




    Renda looks at Hawkes, smiles a toothy grin, pantomimes "break" with his hands, and points at the bridge, then kinda makes a fake terrified look with his eyes skyward as if he is falling. He then makes little flapping motions with his hands as if to fly over. Then looks at Hawkes as if it all should be crystal clear and everything is fully understood.
    Josef909
    Josef909

    Posts : 318
    Join date : 2017-09-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Josef909 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:09 am

    "I could try and turn one of them into....a turtle I guess?" Sjon whispers over the shoulders if his group.

    "Then again, I can always call down the great wave."
    Whitey
    Whitey

    Posts : 349
    Join date : 2017-09-17
    Age : 43
    Location : ColoRADo

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    30/30  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Whitey on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:05 am

    Crispy whispers, “Umm...yeah...I can make 2 of us fly...doesn’t even have to be, you know...me...so...yeah.”
    navyik
    navyik

    Posts : 3153
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    68/68  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  navyik on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:50 pm

    "I think the trick here is to topple those steam engines off of the bridge. Then we close on the rest. Look...They make machines for the front line and stay across the bridge with crossbows; they don't want to fight close up. We combine our attack on the lava snake next if we can. Renda should use weapons. The WE call them no-touch-ems don't they? We need something else... Some advantage..."
    navyik
    navyik

    Posts : 3153
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    68/68  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  navyik on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:52 pm

    "If the strongest can fly, can the great wave push something that big off the bridge?"

    Sponsored content

    Re: Cha Ra Mo Na Ah Na

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:26 am