Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Login or Register
Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Gaming Room

Dice - http://dicelog.com

D20 SRD - http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Pathfinder SRD - http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Modern SRD - http://www.d20moderndb.com/game-rules/d20-modern-srd

Pando - http://www.pando.com/

Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/


    Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Share
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2783
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Robyo on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:36 am

    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]


    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:35 am

    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image][Only admins are allowed to see this link] alt="" />


    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]

    that is what I see scratch
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:15 am

    ok, so I just took a second reading over Medicant, Artificer and Scientist. Those are really freakin' cool!

    I just love the Harvest blood\organs from Medicant, that is so twisted... and then to grow them into Symboits and craft them onto people or make 'horrid animals' ahahahaha!

    Now would that be too evil for the story idea?

    if it was done not in an evil way, but just in a "ain't science grand" kind of way? use medicant to help people, even if the process is a bit.... gruesome. To mis-quote Darth Sidious, "Medicine is a path to abilities some would consider.... unnatural"

    I am sure Josh can provide more details, but it is my understanding that Civil War era medicine, especially field medicine was really brutal - bone saws and such.... in dirty conditions
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2783
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Robyo on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:15 pm

    Medicant/Scientist is cool and I like your twisted ideas.... If you could see a way to play it in a good or neutral way, I might allow it.
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2783
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Robyo on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:16 pm

    Chris wrote:[Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]



    [Only admins are allowed to see this image][Only admins are allowed to see this link] alt="" />


    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]

    that is what I see scratch



    that sucks. It looks cool on my browser...
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:33 pm

    so was there just a Civil War? or is it still on-going? about what year, Earth equivalent, are we talking?

    my Medicus idea would be a great fit as a former Civil War field Dr. that has moved West and carried his brutal surgical practices from the war with him

    Also - is there a prevalent evil threat? undead, Fiends, dragons

    any idea what town\city we are starting in?
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2379
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  MAS on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:46 pm

    Good selection of pics! They are rendering fine for me.

    Some food for thought (based on knowledge of the "Deadlands" setting the map was taken from) - California's coastline was shattered by "the big one" and now exists as a collection of thousands of islands. San Francisco and Los Angeles were destroyed whole.

    Still looking things over.....still going with a "combat" build but not sure which classes I am using yet.

    Considering using "artificer" to augment equipment, make potions and special weapons, etc....
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:11 pm

    MAS wrote:Good selection of pics! They are rendering fine for me.

    Some food for thought (based on knowledge of the "Deadlands" setting the map was taken from) - California's coastline was shattered by "the big one" and now exists as a collection of thousands of islands. San Francisco and Los Angeles were destroyed whole.

    Still looking things over.....still going with a "combat" build but not sure which classes I am using yet.

    Considering using "artificer" to augment equipment, make potions and special weapons, etc....

    can you switch me to an Admin - maybe then i can see the images?
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2379
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  MAS on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:21 pm

    Done - I will re-check everyone's permissions in the next few days to ensure we are all good to go.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:28 pm

    MAS wrote:Done - I will re-check everyone's permissions in the next few days to ensure we are all good to go.

    yup, that fixed it! great artwork
    avatar
    MAS
    Admin

    Posts : 2379
    Join date : 2011-09-12

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  MAS on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:30 am

    Ok, I am looking at a somewhat new idea.

    Think "James Bond of the Wild West"....highly combat capable but also a well rounded secret agent type...

    Mageblade/Pathfinder with a YTBD theme..
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:43 am

    MAS wrote:Ok, I am looking at a somewhat new idea.

    Think "James Bond of the Wild West"....highly combat capable but also a well rounded secret agent type...

    Mageblade/Pathfinder with a YTBD theme..

    I can't wait to see the numbers! sounds like a good fit for the group
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3697
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  whit10 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:46 pm

    Love the artwork...

    To answer Chris: Civil War and Reconstruction medicine is actually rather tricky.

    In 1860, medicine in the US was rather primitive... bleeding people, applying mustard plasters, administering mercury for ailments... it was pretty damned medieval!! However, there was some knowledge of disease and how to inoculate people vs. some diseases. Surgery was still kinda primitive with usually no true anesthetic. By the end of the war, both medicine in general and surgery especially got much better. All of the bullet and other battle wounds allowed for better techniques and methods (as well as tool design) and there were advances in anesthetics (Chloroform, Ether, etc) as well as some disease prevention. By the 1870s (so just a few years after the war) Germ Theory was known to most of the medical community in Europe and it filtered over to the US accordingly. So what we have is a MASSIVE change in technique, theory and practice in only about 10-15 years.
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2783
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Robyo on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:39 pm

    So, I'm looking at a launch date of December 1st. That should give everyone enough time to fiddle with characters, concepts, and whatnot.

    Was wondering what kind of campaign you are looking to do. I am thinking sandbox would be cool. As in, your characters make the adventure, and it's not a rairoad. The horizon is pretty open at this point. Do you guys want to quest for magical items? Find out more about the rifts? Save the world? Dabble in intrigue? Blow shit up? All the above??? Smile

    Sure, there's lots of metaplot going on in the world, but don't feel like you're being forced into any one direction, unless that's what you want!
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:43 pm

    whit10 wrote:Love the artwork...

    To answer Chris: Civil War and Reconstruction medicine is actually rather tricky.

    In 1860, medicine in the US was rather primitive... bleeding people, applying mustard plasters, administering mercury for ailments... it was pretty damned medieval!! However, there was some knowledge of disease and how to inoculate people vs. some diseases. Surgery was still kinda primitive with usually no true anesthetic. By the end of the war, both medicine in general and surgery especially got much better. All of the bullet and other battle wounds allowed for better techniques and methods (as well as tool design) and there were advances in anesthetics (Chloroform, Ether, etc) as well as some disease prevention. By the 1870s (so just a few years after the war) Germ Theory was known to most of the medical community in Europe and it filtered over to the US accordingly. So what we have is a MASSIVE change in technique, theory and practice in only about 10-15 years.

    thanks for the history.... same thing happened to medicine\tech during WWII
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:50 pm

    Robyo wrote:So, I'm looking at a launch date of December 1st. That should give everyone enough time to fiddle with characters, concepts, and whatnot.

    Was wondering what kind of campaign you are looking to do. I am thinking sandbox would be cool. As in, your characters make the adventure, and it's not a rairoad. The horizon is pretty open at this point. Do you guys want to quest for magical items? Find out more about the rifts? Save the world? Dabble in intrigue? Blow shit up? All the above??? Smile

    Sure, there's lots of metaplot going on in the world, but don't feel like you're being forced into any one direction, unless that's what you want!

    12\1 sounds good, but I am ready to go anytime.


    We had originally talked about being a group of monster hunters, maybe even becoming\joining a Faction of the US Govt, at one point. To me that is a bit less "explore the sandbox" and more Deep Space 9 - meaning we hang out in town and see what comes our way and then react and adventure out as desired, but always return to Pestilence, AZ.

    I (Chris) am fine with whatever, but my Marshall character is more tied to staying in Pestilence, unless he is temporarily needed elsewhere. He fits into more of the DS9 model or the RR model. I can always make an alt (alternate character) that is more about exploring and more self-motivated. Maybe I can use Marshall Sparks when the adventure comes to Pestilence and use the other guy to play in the sandbox?

    Matt's, Alan's and Josh's characters seem more Sandbox\exloration orientated, so I can make someone who will better fit into that group. I can look at the mad scientist again - he would be up for searching for monster parts for his experiments.
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3697
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  whit10 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:26 pm

    I can go for either option. Being tied to a town has certain advantages and there's nothing that says we can't be called away for some reason, across the sea or even another plane, and then come back to new adventures/issues at home. The sandbox can easily be what happens when we leave. I'm not all that suited towards hunting magical characters yet anyway... in a couple more levels, different story.

    Thomas could easily be happy making money off suckers at the local gambling establishment rather than constantly shooting people.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:17 am

    since I had a few minutes tonight....

    I took a good hard look at some of the mage classes and found something I like. He would be far more of a sandbox fit and not tied to a town. He would also fill the magic\healer need in the party.

    I am looking at a human arcanist wizard (single class).

    I would take the human ability Prodigy, which trades his 4 basic abilities at 3rd for 1 advanced wizard ability. I chose the adv wizard ability Diverse Dweomer which then trades back that 1 adv ability for 4 basic magical (those marked with "M") from ANY class. Arcanist has a similar ability that lets you take a magical ability from any class. So basically he went on a shopping spree into every other magical class.

    With his Prodigy\Diverse Dweomer (4) and 2 Arcanist abilities: Flit (Sorc), Lay on hands and Command (Inq) Force Push (Psion), Grease (warlock) and Colorspray (witch)

    I am looking at taking from Wizard: Resist Energy, Firebolt, Shocking Grasp and Spell ready. plus core magic missle and spellbook (+1 interchangeable wizard ability of the highest tier I can access).

    He has a HUGE amount of flexibility now and in the future. I am still thinking about his background but would probably go with something along the lines of a world traveler\anthropologist\historian - he has stayed with different cultures and peoples all over the world and studied their ways (thus all the different abilities).

    He would be motivated to explore a sandbox to continue his passion for knowledge and magic. He could have come in contact with any of the other party members in his travels.
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2783
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Robyo on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:19 am

    Mage character sounds way cool. Good job tweaking the rules to find a build you like.

    Please don't discount Auren yet. In a way, he's a an explorer too... I don't know his age, but he could easily have been adventuring for 20 years already. Yes, as marshal he is somewhat tied to the town, but the bad guys don't always stay in town and then Auren has to go track them down.

    However, I'm not opposed to running multiple characters (a stable, if you will) and so Auren could easily just stay in town too.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:36 am

    Robyo wrote:
    However, I'm not opposed to running multiple characters (a stable, if you will) and so Auren could easily just stay in town too.

    Sounds good, I like making characters and wouldn't mind having multiple for role-playing. I do prefer to only run 1 at a time in an adventure, otherwise it gets too bogged down for me, imo.

    I do really like Marshall Sparks and he definitely had his years on the ole trail. I didn't do age, but he would be early middle aged.
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2783
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Robyo on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:05 pm

    [quote="Chris"]
    Robyo wrote:
    I do really like Marshall Sparks and he definitely had his years on the ole trail. I didn't do age, but he would be early middle aged.

    Anything beyond Young Adult and there are attribute adjustments (RPG p.13).
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:45 pm

    [quote="Robyo"]
    Chris wrote:
    Robyo wrote:
    I do really like Marshall Sparks and he definitely had his years on the ole trail. I didn't do age, but he would be early middle aged.

    Anything beyond Young Adult and there are attribute adjustments (RPG p.13).

    ah.... young adult it is!

    *but maybe older for the mage, the attributes are a wash respecting the new caps, but the +1 to +3 racial abilities are really nice
    avatar
    whit10

    Posts : 3697
    Join date : 2012-03-27

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  whit10 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:58 am

    [quote="Chris"][quote="Robyo"]
    Chris wrote:
    Robyo wrote:


    Anything beyond Young Adult and there are attribute adjustments (RPG p.13).

    ah.... young adult it is!


    LOL... I had the same reaction Chris
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:12 pm

    [quote="whit10"][quote="Chris"]
    Robyo wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    Robyo wrote:


    Anything beyond Young Adult and there are attribute adjustments (RPG p.13).

    ah.... young adult it is!


    LOL... I had the same reaction Chris

    upon further review..... unless you need to max out any physical stats, going older is actually a great way to get some bonus racial abilities. My mage will be at least Middle-Aged Man! if not old coot.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4904
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    137/137  (137/137)
    Action Points:
    3/3  (3/3)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Chris on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:15 pm

    I just wanted to share a name for the WW campaign. This very intelligent lady no longer works for the public defender system, but her name came up in an email today and it is just perfect...... Shiloh Boots.

    real name!

    her boss in Pueblo has a great name too - Paul Paradise. no kidding, 2 of our firearms experts! truth is stranger than fiction

    Sponsored content

    Re: Tone Flavor Style Vibe

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:40 am