Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Login or Register
Smoke and Thunder Gaming

Gaming Room

Dice - http://dicelog.com

D20 SRD - http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Pathfinder SRD - http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Modern SRD - http://www.d20moderndb.com/game-rules/d20-modern-srd

Pando - http://www.pando.com/

Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/


    "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Share
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:27 am

    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]

    It's a hot October afternoon in Pestilence. The day is Friday and it's been a relatively quiet week so far. On Tuesday, the Moller ranch had several cattle fall into a ravine. It took several men and a good bit of effort to get them out. Otherwise, things have been slow and peaceful.

    Marshal Auren and Deputy Zyd are hanging out at the office. Deputy Cletus Derr has the day off. There is one jail inmate; Lazaro Guevara, a friendly chap but habitual drunk. He is doing time since last weekend, when in a drunken spree, he smashed several windows at the General Store.

    Zyd is cleaning his revolvers. He looks up to swat at a fly buzzing around. "Think I might take off early, Marshal," he says. "Got plans to go hunting this weekend."

    Just then, the door bursts in. It's Dolly Channing, the cute 9-year-old daughter of Sally Channing, one of the working ladies at the local hotel, the Velvet Palace. The little girl is in a yellow dress, but looks distraught and her eyes are full of tears. "Marshal, come quick," she blurts. "Mama's in trouble!"
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:32 pm

    "Well, Hello Dolly." (sorry couldn't resist) Marshall Sparks grabs his greatsword and helm off the wall and tells Zyd, "Come on little buddy, I need some help before you go hunting. Grab yer guns and go around to the back of the Velvet Palace to make sure no one runs out." Marshall Sparks pats his leg for Tinder to come with them. Tinder obediently jumps up out of his bed and follows.

    Marshall Sparks scoops up Dolly and jumps on High Dollar, who is always tethered out around the side of the jail. Marshall Sparks rides through town with Dolly and tries to sooth her as best he can, "It will be all right, darling. Can you tell me what you saw?"

    Perception check as we ride through town, in case there is anything stranger than usual....

    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +9" :

    6 + 9 = 15
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:03 pm

    Zyd gathers his gun parts, quickly reassembling them and checking them over. Then he jumps on is pony and follows Auren (and Dolly) over to the Velvet Palace. "I'll stay out back, just in case," he agrees and heads for the back alleyway.

    Auren doesn't perceive anything unusual from the street. As he approaches the hotel, he notices there are quite a few horses tied up out front. Some he knows, and some that he doesn't recognize. He also doesn't hear any piano music being played, which is uncommon.

    Dolly whispers through her tears, "There are some strange men come to the hotel. One of them put a gun to Mama's head and said for her to go upstairs. That's when I ran out to get you."



    ***At this point, it would be helpful to know what the other Player Characters are doing...
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:24 pm

    "Dolly, I have an important job for you, while I go check on your mama. Can you sit on that bench, across the street and watch Tinder for me? He gets lonely and scared sometimes and he needs someone to pet him." (Sparks gives Tinder quick glance with his eyes to stay with the girl)

    Marshall Sparks will enter the Velvet Palace, sword sheathed and helm under his arm. (I assume he knows the Madame?) Sparks will look for anything out of place in the parlor.

    *I can wait for the others, just let me know when to proceed....
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:01 am

    Dolly agrees to wait outside and takes a seat on the bench. Tears streaming, she wipes her nose blubbering, "Please Mr. Marshal, don't let no harm come to Mama."

    Tinder sits obediently near the girl, watching Auren cross the street towards the Velvet Palace.

    Located on the street corner, the establishment has two main entrances. Around the building is the front desk, leading directly up to the hotel. On this (1st) street, is the more common entrance, leading to the saloon known as the Opera House. The name is grand, but the place is little more than a tavern with a stage.


    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]
    (top is east, bottom is west)

    Auren enters from the west and sees the stage to his left. There is a piano beside it (not shown) with a row of chairs set up in front of the stage. A tiered stairwell across the room leads up to the stage and a backstage area. There are several tables set up in the room with patrons and working girls drinking and playing cards. No one seems to pay the marshal much attention.

    Across the room is another doorway, leading to the rest of the hotel.

    A quick scan reveals more than a dozen people in the room. There is no sign of Madame "Hostess" Tessa or the piano player Billy.

    Roll Perception, to see if Auren notices anything unusual.

    Roll Insight, to see if he can locate an ally amongst the folk.





    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:32 am

    Marshall Sparks

    Perception
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +9" :

    8 + 9 = 17

    Insight - locate ally
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +4" :

    18 + 4 = 22
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:36 am

    since we are talking via email, I scraped your saloon picture and just googled "old west saloon" and then scraped some images, added to the PP slide and I am reposting here just for colorful example, I added wenches, cowpokes, a piano etc. feel free to scrape, edit and repost as you desire

    [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:45 am

    Marshal Sparks observes there are eleven people in his immediate vicinity of the Saloon. Seven of them are cowboys and random patrons. The last four are working girls, employed by the hotel. Everyone is continuing with their drinking, smoking, flirting, and card games, saying nothing to the marshal.

    Auren locates one ally: Clarissa Jean Dunning. She is an older whore, but kind hearted. One of the locals who tended to Auren's wounds when he was left for dead on the street by the Slith Artificer. Clarissa has her back to the marshal and sits, clinging to the side to one of the dusty cowboys playing cards.

    There is no one playing piano, but the drack marshal notices blood drops on the keys and some on the timber floor nearby.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:06 pm

    Sparks will head over to Clarissa's table. Sparks will go to the opposite side of the table to try and catch her eye. Sparks will tip his hat, as he would to any woman he met, and say casually as if nothing is wrong, "Ms. Dunning, if you could spare a moment of time for my investigation?"
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:34 am

    Clarissa doesn't seem to notice the marshal until he is directly across the table and he tips his hat. She responds to his gesture with a weak smile and a somewhat nervous look in her eyes.

    "Uh sure, Auren," she says and begins to rise up from the cowboy's lap (the two are sharing a chair).

    The dusty cowboy snatches her wrist and says in a rough drawl, "Now hold on. What's this all about marshal? Clar's on duty and I got a heap o' rent money."
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:03 pm

    Sparks pulls back his lips and bares his sharp teeth as he walks around the table towards Clarissa. Smoke begins curling up from his nostrils as he tries to menace the cow-poke, "Let the lady's wrist go. Obstructing an investigation will get you a busted face and a night in my jail. Now finish your hand while I speak to Clarissa, then if everything checks out you can take your rent money and Miss Dunning to the back."

    Intimidate

    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +7" :

    19 + 7 = 26

    WOOT!
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:39 am

    The cowboy looks markedly surprised and a little shaken. He releases Clarissa's wrist and stutters, "S-s-sorry Marshal. No need to get angry. Take the whore for as long as you need." Clarissa starts to walk over to the drack lawman, and the cowboy shoots her a stern expression. Then he takes a long drag on a wrinkled cigarette, once again engrossed in the card game.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:45 am

    Sparks will escort the escort a few tables away, so as to be out of ear-shot. "What's going on, Clarrissa? Lil Dolly Channing said her mother was in some kind of trouble and I noticed fresh blood by the piano."
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:29 am

    Clarissa still appears rather nervous. "Th-There's nothing the matter," she stammers. "I-I don't know anything. Please, can I go now?"

    Roll Insight and Perception again please.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:22 am

    Robyo wrote:Clarissa still appears rather nervous. "Th-There's nothing the matter," she stammers. "I-I don't know anything. Please, can I go now?"

    Roll Insight and Perception again please.

    Insight
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +4" :

    11 + 4 = 15


    Perception
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +9" :

    6 + 9 = 15



    Sparks says in a calm tone, "Clarissa, you have always been kind to me. I won't force you to help me, but Dolly's mother may be in trouble and I don't have time to waste. Just give me a glance with your eyes - should I head to the back or follow up with your Johnny at the table?" Sparks adds in a whisper, "You can even slap me and walk off afterwards"

    Diplomacy
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +3" :

    11 + 3 = 14
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 am

    Sparks' insight reveals that Clarissa is obviously not entirely forthcoming about her knowledge of recent events in the saloon. She may be deceiving or lying, but mostly she just appears to be scared.

    Yet, Sparks' diplomatic plea has some effect. Clarissa leans in close and whispers, "They said they'd kill us if we talk. I don't want anyone else to get hurt so please, just leave and everything should cool down." She takes a step back, a fearful, pleading look in her eyes.

    Then, from somewhere behind, the marshal perceives the distinct "click" of a cocked pistol. A rough voice from behind him calls out, "I think you've seen and said enough marshal. Reach for the ceiling and turn around slowly."
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:34 pm

    Chris wrote:

    Marshall Sparks will enter the Velvet Palace, sword sheathed and helm under his arm.

    Auren deliberately raises both hands just above his head, the one still holding his helmet and the other is empty. Sparks turns slowly, trying to mark his opponents in the room,
    Robyo wrote:Marshal Sparks observes there are eleven people in his immediate vicinity of the Saloon. Seven of them are cowboys and random patrons. The last four are working girls, employed by the hotel.

    and says in a clear voice, loud enough for everyone in the room to hear (and hopefully Zyd), "Anyone who is not a party to these criminals better clear out now, or you will be considered as accomplices."

    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:02 am

    "Shuddup, ya dragonborn do-gooder. Not another peep." When he turns around, Auren sees it was the cowboy that he had confronted earlier at the card table. "No one is going anywhere," the cowboy continues. He is standing up now, pointing his six-gun at the marshal. There are also two other men standing, and they also have pistols pointed. The cowboy goes on, "You just couldn't leave it alone, marshal. We came into town looking to relax and have a good time, but you just had to come in here and ruin our fun. Well, now you can be the entertainment, ain't that right boys?" The other two cowboys chuckle. He waves his gun in the direction of an empty chair by the marshal. "Have a seat, so we can tie you up."

    Besides the three standing armed men, all the other folks are sitting, seemingly frozen in fear.

    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:43 am

    Auren glances at the chair, then back to the cowboys and says, "That's not going to happen."

    Auren looks at the other 2 as he put on his helmet in a threatening manner (if possible), "failure to comply with a Peace Officer's commands, menacing, attempted kidnapping..... you sure you want to be standing with a dead man?" (trying to intimidate the other 2 into fleeing) Auren will make a clear motion to reach for his sword (I know he can't draw right now, but just so they clearly know what is coming next)

    Intimidate
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +7" :

    7 + 7 = 14
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 am

    The three cowboys with their pistols raised look at each other. The first cowboy who spoke earlier half-smiles and says, "We are not scared of you, scaley-boy. Sit down like a good marshal and no one else will get hurt. Vern, fetch his sword and tie him up."

    The cowboy addressed as Vern looks worried. "I don't know Frank, maybe we should just shoot him."

    Frank responds, "Shuddup Vern. Do as yer told."

    The third cowboy warns, "Lookout for his breath weapon. Hey Frank, you think he's got backup?"

    Frank responds, "Good thinking Lou. I've heard this law-drack has got some pretty nasty tricks." Addressing Auren once again, he says, "you won't endanger the rest of these innocent townsfolk, now will ya, marshal?"



    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:53 pm

    Marshall Sparks shakes his head and says half to himself, "humans and their guns....." Sparks will finish drawing his sword (since he was slowing reaching for it last time, if that's ok?)

    Sparks points his blade at the 3 cowboys and says in a clear loud command, "Put your guns on the floor now! This is your final warning. Zyd - get in here!"

    If they don't comply within 3 seconds, Auren will initiate combat.

    Initiative:
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20" :

    12
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 pm

    Update to the map:

    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]

    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]

    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]

    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 pm

    Placement...

    ~Auren:D-12

    ~Clarissa:E-11

    ~Frank(#1):C-14
    ~Vern:F-14
    ~Lou:E-18

    The combatants are ringed in red.

    The little black circles are chairs.

    The stage decking next to Auren is 7 ft high.



    The three cowboys hold their actions and wait for Auren to make his move.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 pm

    Since they didn't comply with the Marshall's commands.... Auren will step backwards 5ft, to D11 next to Clarissa and tell her again, "Get clear ladies!" Auren will then Charge diagonally through E12 and F13 and end next to Vern in G14. (5 back, 3 diagonals = 25\30 ft). Auren will use his Hustle ability to gain an extra move action (-1 vitality) which he will use for Combat Focus +2 attack rolls, this will offset his use of Rapid Attacks (-2).

    Auren will take 2 swings at Vern against his FORT save

    1st swing

    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +9" :

    11 + 9 = 20

    if that hits....

    damage 2d6 + 16 +5 charge
    Result of the throw of dice "2d6 +21" :

    4 + 6 + 21 = 31

    2nd swing vs FORT

    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +9" :

    8 + 9 = 17

    if that hits
    2d6+16

    Result of the throw of dice "2d6 +16" :

    3 + 2 + 16 = 21


    Auren is at 14\15 vitality
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:12 am

    Auren's greatsword cleaves Vern in two. As he crumples downward, a second mighty swing divides the cowboy in bloody thirds.

    Clarissa begins running in the opposite direction of the melee (east).

    The other two women at the table also start to flee towards the front entrance.

    Frank takes a step back to B-14 and fires his pistol for two attacks (-2 to attack rolls):
    1)13 vs. REF = 8 damage
    2) 4 vs. REF = miss

    Lou stays where he's at and shoots twice (-2):
    1)20 vs REF = 10 damage
    2)9 vs REF = miss


    Begin regular initiative sequence:
    1: Auren (12)
    2: Frank (5)
    3: Lou (4)

    Auren is up







    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 pm

    Robyo wrote:
    Frank takes a step back to B-14 and fires his pistol for two attacks (-2 to attack rolls):
    1)13 vs. REF = 8 damage
    2) 4 vs. REF = miss

    Lou stays where he's at and shoots twice (-2):
    1)20 vs REF = 10 damage
    2)9 vs REF = miss

    Auren's DR with his armor and helm is 13, so he takes 0 damage from each attack correct? (I ask b\c in 3.5 armor rules you always took 1 damage if you got hit, but i didn't see that written in the Radiance rules. it read like DR was absolute)

    Auren will repeat his tactic from last round, he will move 20' west to C14 and use Hustle (-1 vitality) to activate his Focus, which negates the -2 on Rapid Attack. he will take 2 swings at Frank, with +5 damage from teh first for Charge (moving over 10')

    1st swing vs FORT
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +9" :

    10 + 9 = 19

    if that hits, damage
    Result of the throw of dice "2d6 +21" :

    3 + 2 + 21 = 26

    2nd swing vs FORT
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +9" :

    3 + 9 = 12

    I doubt that hits, but damage anyways
    Result of the throw of dice "2d6 +16" :

    2 + 4 + 16 = 22

    Auren vitality 13\15
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:19 am

    Auren takes no damage from the bullets, thanks to his armor. However, armor has hit points too. Subtract DR first, before applying damage to armor hit points. (no bonus such as tough hide in this case). Also, since his half-plate is enchanted +3, you get 5x normal armor hit points. Great helm is mundane.


    Frank instinctively clutches at the gaping slash across his chest. The cowboy's face is a twisted visage of pain and horror. He fires his revolver (2 attacks @ -2) at the marshal at point blank range:
    1)5 vs REF = miss
    2)18 vs REF = 4 damage
    He shifts one square to A-15 (I don't think Shifting is mentioned in Radiance RPG, but I like it as a move action that doesn't provide AoO).

    Lou stays where he's at and takes two more shots (- 2):
    1)9 vs REF = miss
    2) 13 vs REF = 6 damage


    Auren roll for perception...





    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:53 am

    Rob, thanks for the alert on armor pts, I will have to look for that.

    Shifting is like the free 5ft step from D&D?

    Perception
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +7" :

    13 + 7 = 20

    it is only +7, instead of +9 due to greathelm penalty
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:55 pm

    Chris wrote:Rob, thanks for the alert on armor pts, I will have to look for that.

    Hit Points for Enchanted Half-Plate: 175
    Great Helm: 5
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:06 pm

    Chris wrote:Shifting is like the free 5ft step from D&D?

    Exactly. d20/3.5 it was a 5 ft step. In 4e it's called a shift.

    I realize Radiance is intended as a more streamlined version of D&D, but concerning movement and tactics, they could use a little more crunch. Conditions and healing receive a fair amount of print, why not movement? So we can use stuff like shift/5ft step and withdraw, which in this case would be a move and a standard action (no full-round action in Radiance), but doesn't provoke AoO.
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:10 pm

    Chris wrote:Perception
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +7" :

    13 + 7 = 20

    it is only +7, instead of +9 due to greathelm penalty

    At this time, our intrepid marshal hears shots fired besides those directed at him. The sound of them comes from outside. Auren also hears shouting and possibly Zyd's voice spitting curses.
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:43 pm

    battlemat update:

    [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

    [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

    [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

    ~Auren: C-14

    ~Frank: A-15
    ~Lou: E-18

    ~Clarissa: N-2


    Auren is up
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:16 pm

    Robyo wrote:
    Chris wrote:Rob, thanks for the alert on armor pts, I will have to look for that.

    Hit Points for Enchanted Half-Plate: 175
    Great Helm: 5

    So any actual damage a character takes, the part that gets past DR, also does damage to the armor? In other words, 1 good hit and my helm is broken and needs repaired?
    Robyo wrote:
    Chris wrote:Perception
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +7" :

    13 + 7 = 20

    it is only +7, instead of +9 due to greathelm penalty

    At this time, our intrepid marshal hears shots fired besides those directed at him. The sound of them comes from outside. Auren also hears shouting and possibly Zyd's voice spitting curses.

    Auren yells, "Hang on Zyd!"

    Auren wiill shift to B14, next to Frank and take 2 swings, using move action for Combat Focus to offset Rapid Attacks

    1st swing vs FORT
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +9" :

    18 + 9 = 27

    damage
    Result of the throw of dice "2d6 +16" :

    1 + 1 + 16 = 18 (haha x2 1s)

    2nd swing vs FORT
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +9" :

    8 + 9 = 17

    if that hits
    Result of the throw of dice "2d6 +16" :

    5 + 6 + 16 = 27
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:25 am

    Your helm should be fine, since we aren't specifically using hit-location tables. A called-shot to the head however, could result in massive damage towards the helm (and the bones and brains underneath).
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:44 am

    Auren's first swipe at Frank leaves another bloody gash in his side. His eyes roll back and he leans against the wall behind him. He slowly slides downwards, leaving a streak of yellow blood on the wall. Frank bumps the piano, making an awful cacophonous chord. Then he falls forward to his hands and knees. His body begins to morph and a green light envelopes him. He looks like:


    [Only admins are allowed to see this image]


    Auren's second blow beheads Frank and his black corpse lays bleeding on the floor.


    "Lordy! What'd you do to him?" exclaims Lou and takes two more shots at the marshal:

    1) 13 vs REF = 8 damage
    2) 24 vs REF = 12 damage

    Now, out of bullets and terrified, the cowboy runs back towards the doorway, attempting to make his escape.



    Last edited by Robyo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:52 am

    Lou's shots hit, but bounce harmlessly off the Marshall's enchanted armor.

    Auren bares his fangs in a disgusted snarl at the unholy site. "Clarissa, anyone, grab buckets of water... NOW!" Auren will use his fire breath (standard action) on the corpse of Frank, it's the only way to be sure. "Paledine! Purify this corpse with your flames"

    Auren starts to take off after Lou, but then remembers hearing gunfire from the alley, "Zyd, may be in danger" he thinks to himself. Auren will take a double move (using hustle, - 1 vitality.) and run towards the back alley. I can't see that far on the map, but just move him 60ft towards the back.

    Auren 12\15 vitality
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:19 pm

    I can totally see where Auren is coming from with his incinerating the body and calling a prayer out to Paladine. That is certainly in character as a holy warrior, yet it seems to go against his logic as a law-enforcer and investigator. Burning the evidence? Dragon Breath costs 1 vitality.

    Clarissa immediately obeys and runs out the room towards the kitchen to fetch a pail of water. The hardwood floor and piano are now scorched, but luckily nothing caught fire.

    And I apologize that I didn't list Lou's placement at the end of his turn. He was running, which is 4x movement, so basically by the end of his turn, he's at the side of his horse which is tied up out front. He is untying the reins as Auren also comes out.

    Now If Auren also is running and wishes to catch up to Lou, I'll allow that.

    Otherwise, it's fine if he runs out the front door and then down the side alley (and glimpses a sight of Lou standing by his horse desperately trying to untie the reins).

    You didn't ask, but Auren would also know about another exit from inside the building. Though the way you've chosen is probably the quickest.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:25 am

    I actually did think about the choice of burning the body.... I decided that Auren is new to being a lawman and probably not a good investigator yet, but has always been a Drack and worshipper of Paledine.

    The problem with Lou was another interesting spot that needed a decision - go after Lou and some answers or go help a comrade-in-arms, Zyd, who sounded like he was in a fight too. Auren is consistent and true - to his beliefs, his friends and his code. Being an investigator\lawman, while important, is not as important as Zyd's life. Auren can always try to track down Lou and some answers later.

    GM did a nice job of forcing some hard choices in the first fight cheers

    Auren would move as quickly as the rules allow and by whatever course seemed best to him, given his knowledge of the building\area. He continues with his stated action of going to the sound of gunfire from the back alley.

    updated vitality 11\15


    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:49 pm

    Opera House Saloon back alley...

    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]

    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]

    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]

    All windows depicted are at every building level. Except for Opera House, which only has windows on the 3rd floor.

    There are several clotheslines hanging across the side alley. It costs x2 move for Auren to go through them.


    At present, there are no more sounds of gunshots or any voices. It is eerily quiet, except for the sound of Lou riding off on his horse in the distance.


    Last edited by Robyo on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:58 pm

    Auren will take as many moves as needed to get around to the back door, where he assumes Zyd was stationed as per his orders. Auren will keep his greatsword drawn and his eyes open. He is not calling out for Zyd or attracting undo attention as he runs.
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:01 pm

    I take it then, that Auren is running at full-speed, neglecting to make any checks, like spot or stealth as he rounds the corner?


    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]

    As Auren enters space: G-6, he is shot at by a high-powered rifle.

    17 vs REF = 14 damage


    Roll perception.
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:41 am

    Yeah, Auren is more concerned about Zyd and less about the dangers

    perception check
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +7" :

    14 + 7 = 21

    ouch, that one snuck a bit through -1 damage

    10\15 vitality
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:08 pm

    A quick scan by Auren reveals:

    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]

    The rifleman appears to be looking out an open window, three floors up: N-8.

    The corpse of a dead cowboy, probably shot to death, lays half on the deck, half on the steps, blood dripping down the side of the deck (skeleton image is just a placeholder, it's really a fleshy bullet-ridden corpse): K-7

    Auren can see Zyd's feet behind the woodpile. He appears to be sitting and not moving: N-5.

    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]

    Initiative:
    1) Auren
    2) Rifleman

    Auren is up

    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:18 pm

    Auren frowns at seeing his deputy down. Auren will take a double move to get behind the wood pile, I guess at O-5 next to Zyd. Auren will keep his head down below the height of the wood pile, crouching by his deputy.

    When he arrives, he will look over Zyd to try and determine the extent of his injuries, "Zyd, you ok, little buddy?"

    (not sure if a roll is needed or not)
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:19 pm

    Chris wrote:ouch, that one snuck a bit through -1 damage

    10\15 vitality

    And please remember to subtract armor hit points too. Not trying to nickel-and-dime ya, it's just a bit more resource-management stuff to be conscious of. More so than D&D, anyways. geek



    Last edited by Robyo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:29 pm

    Chris wrote:Auren frowns at seeing his deputy down. Auren will take a double move to get behind the wood pile, I guess at O-5 next to Zyd. Auren will keep his head down below the height of the wood pile, crouching by his deputy.

    When he arrives, he will look over Zyd to try and determine the extent of his injuries, "Zyd, you ok, little buddy?"

    (not sure if a roll is needed or not)

    Double move lands Auren safely behind the woodpile. He sees that Zyd is unconscious, but breathing. The kobold deputy is bleeding profusely from a bullet wound in the right shoulder.

    On his turn, Rilfleman blasts a round into the woodpile and bits of tinder fly up. Auren is unharmed, but reminded that popping his head out from behind the woodpile could be lethal.

    Now it's your turn, so you can certainly roll Auren's Heal skill for Awaken or Treat Injury as a standard action. Or perhaps use a healing ability as a standard action?
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:15 pm

    right!

    Auren will close his eyes and lay his hands upon the fallen Zyd, "Paledine, restore this lizard-kin so that he might help your servant smite these wicked men."

    Lay on Hands
    Result of the throw of dice "1d8 +3" :

    5 + 3 = 8
    8 wounds healed

    Auren will use his move action to call up to the rifleman, "You shot an honest deputy here and I am not too inclined for mercy. 2 of yer amigos are dead in the parlor and the third is smacking his saddle (auren is trying to learn the colloquialisms). You have exactly 1 chance - drop your rifle out the window and come down with your hands up."

    *edit
    Vitality 10\15
    Magic 1/2 plate 174\175
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:45 am

    A white light pours of of Auren's hands into the wounded kobold deputy. In a moment, Zyd's eyes open with a flutter and blink. Once he recognizes Auren, he tries to move, but only groans. "Sorry Boss," he whispers. "I nailed a suspect as he fled out the backstage door. But some other fella was on lookout and got the drop on me."

    In response to Auren's threat, the rifleman lets off another round. BLAM! Slivers of wood jump up. He calls from the open window, "Reckin the only way I'm going down there marshal, is as a free man. And Miss Sally will coming with me. Let us go and no one else needs to be hurt."
    avatar
    Chris

    Posts : 4924
    Join date : 2011-10-26

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Chris on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:05 pm

    Auren comforts Zyd, "It's ok, you did your job. Now just keep your head down and watch the back door from cover."

    "The rifleman took the bait and used his attack. While he is cocking, I will make my move" Auren thinks to himself.

    I am not sure how to count the movement, so I will rely on your determination, but I think I can make it up the steps and inside the backdoor if I use Hustle (-1v) and take 3 moves. Since it is not in a straight line, I can't go more than 60' with just a double move, right?

    Auren will make a dash for the backdoor!

    armor 174\175
    vitality 9\15
    avatar
    Robyo

    Posts : 2791
    Join date : 2012-04-29

    Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Robyo on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:49 pm

    updated: Opera House Saloon back alley
    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]

    I take it Auren is going in the back door that is already opened at: I-7? I only ask because there is another door at R-7 (which probably leads to the kitchen). The open door on the 10' deck leads to the backstage of the Opera House Saloon.

    Auren easily hustles out from behind the wood pile, across the alleyway, up the steps, over the corpse, and inside the building, before the shooter has had a chance to fully reload his rifle.

    The backstage is a waiting/green room and is adjacent to costume and makeup rooms. There appears to be no one else around.

    Sponsored content

    Re: "Once Upon A Time In the Weird West"

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:44 pm