Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

5 posters

Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch"

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Empty Re: Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch"

Post  Robyo Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:16 am

The party splits up.

Auren, Tommy, Lou, and JP head south on the main road.

Elroy, Bethany, and Blue Avenger go north in JP's wagon.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

The adventure will continue in Pt.3: "Showdown at Biggs Ranch."

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Left_bar_bleue19/19Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Left_bar_bleue1/0Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Empty Re: Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch"

Post  whit10 Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:17 am

With a coldness that freezes the blood.. "shit, they're just sod-busters. You wanna get to the bottom of this er not?! I say we stick with the original plan and just find 'em... and kill 'em!"
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Left_bar_bleue19/19Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Left_bar_bleue1/0Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:18 am

Just out of curiosity, where are we at experience point or whatever -wise?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:48 am

XP:

Blue: 5
    Tommy: 20
    JP: 25
    Auren: 30

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Left_bar_bleue35/35Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:37 am

navyik wrote:The ba is likely the most survivable character in the game.

I see the BA's delusions extend to his creator Rolling Eyes

I have to admit, I am very impressed with him, I am glad to see that all races can really crunch out some nice numbers, especially that knife\light blade combo cheers

Just don't stand in any stiff winds or get hit once in melee Wink
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:20 am

Fortitude is indeed his weakness but hes got dodge. Tis true that the marshal could take him (if he can catch him). Good luck shooting him though...
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Left_bar_bleue35/35Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:56 am

classes aren't really balanced for combat against each other, since some are far more combat focused but lose the utility and skills, like BA has. I was more thinking the ogre variety....

I just found it interesting that he does his damage via melee, but is weakest against melee. It seems like most animal-monsters attack Reflex, not Fortitude, so that helps him a lot.

A goblin would make a wicked rogue with those blade feats Twisted Evil

He is a heckuva crunch, but a crunched JarJar is still JarJar jocolor
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 10 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:59 am

Sneak attack SUCKS in radiance...SUCKS BALLS!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:10 pm

navyik wrote:Sneak attack SUCKS in radiance...SUCKS BALLS!

WOW - I just re-read it and it does SUCK BALLS. No sneak attack with flanking is a rip-off for rogues. That ability is basically worthless now. That totally takes away their 'burst damage' capability.

They do get a lot of other good stuff, but wow, that is the iconic rogue ability. As a GM, i could see adding a tier 1 talent to make SA work vs flanked opponents, call it Distracted Sneak Attack or something.

At lvl 4-5 when they start getting the Int tier, with Imp Sneak Attack +2\+10 and 2 wpn fighting, they could really rip something apart with sneak attacks. Or with the Dagger Volley at 30', 3 sneak attacks.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Hes not jarjar... hes a quixotic superhero. Actually i based him on stupendous man from calvin and hobbes. MUCH BETTER than jarjar. Cool
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:14 pm

... and that fits a western-themed game how exactly?

nah, sorry bro, he's Jar Jar Wink

Didn't realize that sneak attack was so awful in this.. heh, add it to the list
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:07 pm

So i should abandon the "weird" part of the storyline in favor of cookie cutter archetypes with vanilla personalities? If y'all cant stretch beyond your own role playing experiences and interests thats your problem. I make my own characters thankyou. If i wanna be "serious" i will read deposition transcripts. I know y'all went whining to the dm about my weird characters ruining the game for you. But if they fit his vision then try to evolve a little and play along however your characters would deal with weird shit. I mean really? A fear of lilliputians? They were like 8 inches tall. Suspect
    Jar jar? Thats just insulting. The blue avanger is at least as cool as.haydrn christiansens bitch ass rendition of anakin... Evil or Very Mad
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:29 pm

navyik wrote:So i should abandon the "weird" part of the storyline in favor of cookie cutter archetypes with vanilla personalities? If y'all cant stretch beyond your own role playing experiences and interests thats your problem. I make my own characters thankyou. If i wanna be "serious" i will read deposition transcripts. I know y'all went whining to the dm about my weird characters ruining the game for you. But if they fit his vision then try to evolve a little and play along however your characters would deal with weird shit. I mean really? A fear of lilliputians? They were like 8 inches tall. Suspect
    Jar jar? Thats just insulting. The blue avanger is at least as cool as.haydrn christiansens bitch ass rendition of anakin... Evil or Very Mad

This is exactly the discussion I wanted to avoid by talking to Rob privately, but I guess it didn't stay private.

Since we are talking about it.... I am sorry you find my JarJar reference insulting, but I find BA insulting. I have no interest in having BA in the story. He doesn't fit into the Western theme of the game and frankly it does ruin the story for me. If I wanted to play a loony-toons theme, then we can all make ridiculous, obnoxious cartoon characters in tights and capes. BA belongs in a comic-strip with Calvin and Hobbes, not a western genre.

And for the record, I never complained about JP or Lemrock, only BA. So it was not weird characters or a general complaint, it was very specific.

There is a big difference between Lemrock, JP and BA. Lemrock and JP are a bit silly sure, you have ALWAYS made off-color characters the whole 20 years we have gamed together. I accept and enjoy that. But both Lemrock and JP fit into the theme of their worlds. A dwarven war priest, who happens to be a sermonizing drunk, cool! A french trappeur, who happens to be nuts and thinks he gets sucked into time portals, cool!
    A goblin that wears tights and a cape and shoots magic..... that fits into a western about as well as JarJar fit into Star Wars.

Since Rob said he was allowing it, he IS a pretty easy-going guy, I have been trying to handle it 'in character'. The Marshall patronized him, made him a deputy and gave the quixotic knight a quest to protect the innocents. It is no coincidence the innocents are going in the opposite direction. I am sure Auren can find many such suitable assignments for the BA. So if that's how you want to play BA, fine.

Maybe Rob can run BA on a side-thread solo adventure for you?

Or we can go Vampire style and start killing each other's PCs, but we know where that leads - the same place every Vampire game went - a dead end.

I find it hard to believe that you can't see the BA for the clown clown that he is.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:51 pm

I guess he fits in about as well as dimensional portals, plate mail and greatswords do. I tire of that debate. The fact is that your vision of the story it is challenged by the ba, and that somehow matters more than another persons vision. There is then no collaboration where the chris/josh alliance intends to consistently find a excuses for their characters to resist the ba being part of the group. I should make a goliath barbarian who is afraid of lizards and cowboy hats.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:17 pm

navyik wrote:But if they fit his vision then try to evolve a little and play along however your characters would deal with weird shit.
    navyik wrote:There is then no collaboration where the chris/josh alliance intends to consistently find a excuses for their characters to resist the ba being part of the group.

So first you tell us to act in character, then you get mad when that doesn't mean we do what you want and play along with JarJar. In character, the Marshall would have nothing to do with a goblin in a blue cape and tights.

navyik wrote: I mean really? A fear of lilliputians? They were like 8 inches tall.

I mean really? A goblin wielding magic in blue tights and cape. clown

navyik wrote: I should make a goliath barbarian who is afraid of lizards and cowboy hats.

Like I said, we can go all Vampire on each other and kill off PCs. Just let me know how many PCs you want to bring to the fight. I will make a like number. Any PCs that die can never have that concept used again. Deal?

High noon? (just cuz it is a Western Wink )

navyik wrote:I tire of that debate.

At least we agree on that!
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:50 pm

I just want to have a fun game. As a DM, it concerns me when players don't seem to be having fun. That's the only reason I contacted Alan about other players' concerns that things might be getting "too comedic," or something like that. I didn't intend stuff to get into this thread, just as the others didn't, or probably didn't intend me to contact Alan. But I also did not use names or anything specific,, and I certainly wasn't trying to be harsh. Just concerned.

Everyone here is putting in their own precious time being involved in this play-test. This is a unique and interesting process. Sometimes I wonder if it's really worth all the time and energy I'm putting into it, but I am still having fun and hoping everyone else is as well. I'm enjoying seeing everyone's characters interact and grow.

Yes, it's called Weird West and there is a deep wild west element about it. But when I conceived this adventure, I wanted to include a lot more. D&D is wide open and this is basically D&D in the west, so it's pretty wide open. Weird West to me, has a certain gonzo sensibility, which I enjoy. Sci-fi and horror, too.

We certainly don't have to understand, or appreciate, each others intentions as players, just so long as party harmony exists. This DM will not tolerate plotting and violence between party members. It can fun in other games, but not D&D so much.

Also would like to add that when we started this up, it was to be a supplemental adventure to two other running games. So if anyone else would like to stretch their GM muscles, that would be cool. In my tabletop group, we have a couple different DMs, so burnout doesn't happen as much. And while I'd be more than happy to play some Pathfinder, I just don't want to run it for this campaign. Same goes for most other d20 stuff. Radiance isn't perfect(what game is?), but I thought it would be a decent-enough balance of gear, rules, and options for everyone, while still being streamlined enough (and pliable enough) for me to want to work with it as a system. If it's really not hitting the vibe, we could maybe try D20 Modern with Sidewinder, I suppose. But then the overall tone will be a whole lot different. It would still have fantastic elements, but I'd want to house-rule some things too. Whatever we use, there will be house-rules... but it's kind of like, how much do you house rule a system, before you try something different, or just write your own system or sourcebook?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Alan... before you go off and get all snippy, think about it. A goblin in tights isn't exactly 'Western' or 'wild west'? If you can't see that then I don't know what else to say. I have several character ideas that are not at all 'run of the mill' I'm just still trying to base it around the late 19th century with magic thrown in. Hell, I have a Pathfinder concept that I've based off of a TV show that I watch... not really western but it can be tweeked to be so. BA seems like more of a d20 modern character IMO... and frankly, I thought Tommy having a apoplectic fear of short people was rather funny Wink

If we want to go weirder with this game system, that's fine with me. I was just under the impression that this was not necessarily that type of setting for this first run through.

Jar Jar Razz
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:01 pm

Rob - I am having a ton of fun! I have never gotten to play in a true western rpg and I always wanted to. Having run forum games with Josh and others for almost 5 years now, I REALLY appreciate the time and energy you are putting into it! I know how much work it is and that is why I had to bench my game, I just ran out of energy for DM'ing.

We did a round-robin GM concept here in CO the last time we had a tabletop group. We had 4 players and each would take turns telling a 'chapter' usually 2 nights. We had a D&D and a Star Wars game and both were flexible enough to allow multiple storylines. In fact, it was a fun GM challenge to pick up where someone else left and 'make it work' with your own storyline. I would be up for something like that, rotating GM duties, but I think we saw that having 2-3 separate games and trying to run them simultaneously didn't work and they all stalled out.

As for Radiance, I actually think it is a good system. It has a few things I would change, but as you said, all games do. I have no problem with spending vitality to power abilities, that comes directly from d20 SW 10+ yrs ago, just like armor DR and some other concepts. I think it is better than d20 and at least comparable to Pathfinder, with much less clutter.

As for the story - I go back to my first comment - I just really want to keep it as Western as possible. I agree with Josh that BA belongs in another genre like Marvel\DC superhero or something. Maybe Alan sees him like a studly Chirstian Bale Dark Knight, but he comes across like Adam West in blue tights and a cape. KAPOW!

How about limiting each player to 1 character?

That would limit any 1 player's influence on the flavor of the story. Otherwise, this issue is going to keep coming up as we all add more characters to the group to balance it out. Too many spices don't make the soup better.

Maybe over time, as we see how the story unfolds and characters die, the party will move in a more loony-toons direction. Especially if we start planar traveling or time traveling, some stranger folks might fit the genre as it morphs.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:28 pm

Not wild west josh. WEIRD WEST. How many times do i need to point that out? Its fine to say all of what y'all got to say, but when you get through talkin you still make characters decisions based on what you as players dont like about someone elses character ideas, and plot to do so out of character and then justify it with proof texts quoting me out if context to try to put me in my place. Major buzz kill!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:01 pm

And before you call me snippy you might note that i was not the one complaining about someone elses character. I was kinding my own business and having fun; and you have no fucking idea how the ba would fit into the game because y'all passed judgement before he was involved.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Im just thoroughly disappointed that y'all cant be open minded enough to allow someone the lattitude to play the character they want to play regardless of how you think it fits the story. The blue avenger is withdrawn and will seek adventure amoung less rigid company. Shame on you.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:40 pm

If anyone is interested.... please go to the General Forum section. I posted a new thread to gauge interst in a Star Wars story, to be used as a break only from WildWeirdWest.

you won't get an email update unless you post in that thread. no pressure either way, just thinking about giving Rob a break sometimes Wink
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:52 pm

No shame Alan... you all gave me so much grief in the past regarding characters that I feel no remorse. sorry bro
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Star Wars would be sweet!

Your weird west characters should have leveled by now...

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Are you saying they ARE up a level or just that they should have?

I have no starwars books or pdf's.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:56 pm

navyik wrote:Are you saying they ARE up a level or just that they should have?

Everyone should have enough XP to go up a level. JP should be 4th now.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Pt.3 thread is posted...

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 pm

navyik wrote:Are you saying they ARE up a level or just that they should have?

I have no starwars books or pdf's.

switch to the other thread, I will find a way to get it to you

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 pm