Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Radiance Round Up!

Post  Robyo on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Things are winding down in this adventure. We'll be pausing for the foreseeable future.

I started this thread to get feed-back concerning the adventure and rule-system and anything else folks wish to discuss.

For myself, I've enjoyed telling the story and game-mastering my first Play-by-Post adventure. It was fun, but I wish things didn't progress so slowly. I have a lot more story to tell, but things move at a snail's crawl. I suppose it's just the nature of the beast.

whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Re: Radiance Round Up!

Post  whit10 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:46 pm

I think you did a great job! This game obviously had some flaws and you came up with fixes on the fly and dealt with a bunch of rules lawyers (yeah, Chris and I are infamous for this... as are others) and handled everything quite well.

Any complaining I did was due to my own lack of understanding of how this particular game works (I still have some issues with how combat works, but oh well).

I'm still going to play the Goliath Shifter when we come back to this if you don't mind. Tommy is just kinda boring
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:37 pm

I thought your mapping solution was pretty slick.

Plus, that guy who came into the story at the very end was awesome.
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:20 pm

I agree, you did a great job with a new storytelling format and an unfamiliar (at least to us) ruleset. Excellent story, great fights, good challenges... overall very fun.

I honestly really like a lot about Radiance. I agree with Josh that it needs some work.

To me, it plays more like a video game, like an MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role playing game). I play those quite a bit: DDO dungeons and dragons online, Legacy: War of Dragons, SWTOR, currently Guild Wars 2 and I am a Kickstarter Backer for Camelot Unchained. Almost all of those games share 1 thing in common when it comes to PVP fighting = Burst Damage is King! king

When playing PvE (players vs environment) you can get away with tanky builds, healing builds, skill builds, etc etc. But PVP is always about out-bursting the other guy. My brother Jon was a tournament champion in World of Warcraft, literally in the top 50-100 in the world, with millions of players, same story there.

It works well in a video game, I am not so sure I like it for a table top RPG. I can see the benefits of it speeding up high level combat. D&D and SW, in particular, DRAAAAAAG on fights at high levels. Everyone has too many HP, too many defenses, etc. But I think with Radiance using so many vitality cost abilities, it wouldn't get that bad.

I would love to try a test fight or 2 in Radiance with 2-3 variations.

1) CON gives bonus HP per level, like most other games

2) CON stays the same but give everyone (NPCs too) 10 vitality per level, like other games

3) maybe, both. 10 vit + CON per level.

I know that by the math, it keeps everything on a similar power scale, which would just slow the fight down (what I complained about above, I know) but my thinking is that combat would still be fast, because people would be more inclined to spend more vitality to power their abilities.

I guess I see it as still a faster fight, but with more freedom to use your special abilities. Or to have the Vitality, if you didn't, to better survive some of the big burst damage inherent to Radiance already.

Alternately, maybe look at all the abilities and divide them into 2 groups:

1) unlimited daily usage, costs vitality

2) limited usage, once\day, zero vitality cost

There seem like a lot of abilities currently that are both, 1 time per day and costs 5 vitality. To me that is just too steep of a price and makes some cool abilities cost prohibitive. Or give the option, 1 time free use and -5 each additional use.

Or something like reducing the cost of lower tier abilities as you gain levels. For instance, -1 vitality cost, min 1 vit, for Basic tier, when you get access to Intermediate Tier abilities. -2 vitality, min 1, to Basic Tier and Intermediate Tier when you get access to Adv tier.

just some thoughts.....
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:15 am

Chris wrote:

There seem like a lot of abilities currently that are both, 1 time per day and costs 5 vitality. To me that is just too steep of a price and makes some cool abilities cost prohibitive.

A-freakin-men to this! I think this was the thing about this game that bothered me the most. There are several of these powers that would be great to use, you just never have the vitality for them (unless it's the beginning of the round or something)
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:05 pm

I agree that vitality cost for (the more powerful) abilities tends to reinforce the notion of the 15-minute adventuring day. Although, to be fair, there's plenty of at-will/basic attacks that a player can use as well. And of course the other options like role-playing, skill checks, fleeing the scene, hiding, or just being creative and working together as a team. In AD&D, running away happened quite a bit. A wise jedi once said, "there are alternatives to fighting." Vitality cost makes players conserve their power.

It would be easy to house-rule dailies to be of multiple use, with vitality cost. Depends on the ability's specifics, but we could use the imbedded point system, to help craft the house-rule. Maybe to be balanced, you could swap out a core class ability.

I don't really see the comparison to MMO's. No more than standard D&D, anyways. 4e is closer to the MMO idea, where you get healing surges, constitution added to hit points, and just generally more super-powered. Now I do enjoy some good high-damage burst powers! Though it shouldn't be the only way to win combat.
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Robyo wrote:
    I don't really see the comparison to MMO's. No more than standard D&D, anyways. 4e is closer to the MMO idea, where you get healing surges, constitution added to hit points, and just generally more super-powered. Now I do enjoy some good high-damage burst powers! Though it shouldn't be the only way to win combat.

I only gave 4e a once over reading. Radiance really reminds me of MMOs with things like Hustle and spending your move action to 'power' a boost (and of course spending vitality to power boosts).

It isn't necessarily a criticism, since that is the target market of current gamers. We are the dinosaurs in this discussion elephant

Or guys like Bane - I can't tell you how many ways I have seen that in MMOs - the "exploding" bad guy, you have to kill them before they get too close or they do party-wiping damage. Usually they run in a pack of several of them, along with trash mobs to distract targeting. That is where builds that use AoE slows, roots, snares, etc come into play.

Of course in a video game, you see 100s of mobs on a recurring basis, Bane caught us off guard b\c we had never seen him before - which was a great surprise!

Almost every class in Radiance has a 'healing surge' too, either from class or theme. +4d6 once per day, that is 100% MMO and opposite of the cleric healer with druid\rgr\pal as off-healers. Now every warrior, thief, etc can do a BETTER heal than the healer. Many MMOs are like Radiance in that there really is NO dedicated healer class.

With no class having the ability to heal vitality to others, only wounds, and very little tank\bunker abilities, Radiance reminds most of GW2, which is all DPS classes or support. No healers and no tanks.

There are certainly damage mitigators - dodge, mounted combat, etc. But even maxed out my Pal DR is only helpful versus trash mobs.

again, not a criticism, just an observation.
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Chris wrote:
    It isn't necessarily a criticism, since that is the target market of current gamers. We are the dinosaurs in this discussion elephant

...and? Maybe I am a dinosaur but this is why I think PF is far superior to anything Dipshits of the Coast has come up with in the past decade. I'm gonna have to agree with Chris again here... this seems more like a video game than an RPG. There are some very good things in it, no doubt. But yeah, the whole healing thing left me scratching my head.

I still dislike the combat system but I guess I'm alone on that one.
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Some thoughts on gaming philosophies and styles -

Some players, and GMs, are more into the mechanics and powers and high powered play that many systems cater to. There is nothing wrong with that. But, depending on the tone/vibe etc of a game, that can often become the focus rather than telling a good story with engaging, interesting characters. I think Radiance is intended more for the latter style, with a good dose of unique powers and abilities present for flavoring.

Don't get me wrong, I love working out good crunches and squeezing every last point of advantage from a system. There is much fun to be had in delving into those sorts of complexities, but I remember some of my favorite action adventures coming from lower powered, sometimes, ordinary characters. They were memorable because of the novel ideas, tense feeling of danger, and sometimes, the utter, tragic failures.

I think, as older experienced players, we may have built some expectations/experiences that are robbing a bit of the magic from the games. Speaking for myself -

1) I cant remember the last time I lost a character. As a player, I'm not really scared of this anymore (because it's stopped happening), and as a consequence, the games have lost a certain level of dramatic tension for me.

2) I am very guilty of this - characters with mega customized crunches and nearly super combat powers. I've largely gotten lazy with problem solving and roleplaying. When I stepped away from this a bit with TLM in Chris's scifi game, I had a blast. Man, I think it'd be cool to do a campaign or series of adventures with a largely non-combat party...

There has been some excellent comments about lack of a specified healer, and about the "surge healing" capabilities. While I see the system's intent to liberate parties or solo players from absolutely NEEDING a cleric or healer, I find the "commonality" of the ability kind of wonky. I agree that it is structurally very "MMO".

All this being said, although I've only really read the game and not played yet, I find Radiance to be an interesting system with a lot of potential. It may be that our styles and perceptions (right now) just don't fully match it's character.

whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:02 pm

MAS wrote:

1) I cant remember the last time I lost a character. As a player, I'm not really scared of this anymore (because it's stopped happening), and as a consequence, the games have lost a certain level of dramatic tension for me.

PF is the deadliest game I've ever seen. Our party in Charleston had every member go down at least once and I had two characters get killed (though I'll admit that I prolly could have saved one of them). I think that's one of the few things that Radiance got right... mortality is back, baby!
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:58 pm

I don't deny being a dino. I also think it's fitting that MMO's are informing modern RPG design. Tabletop RPG has influened videogames through the decades. D&D begat WOW which has influenced D&D's evolution, and so on.

And observation is always welcome. So is informed criticism!

I understand Matt's point about PC's being more than a just a bunch of crunched numbers. It's refreshing to play a character with a unique concept, though he may not be optimized to the Nth degree. The wookie I'm making for Star Wars is raw concept. I'm making him for fun, martial arts and all. He certainly won't be raw DPS. That gets boring.

Pathfinder is powered-up 3.5. Every edition of D&D has made the characters more super-powered. So it is with the crunch-factor. Munchkining only became a problem in later 2e AD&D with the kits and an over-abundance of splat books. You could say it's Wizard's marketing ploy, but TSR actually started the trend. And other companies do it too. How many editions of Shadowrun have there been now? Five? What about Vampire? Traveler? etc.

There was just not much min/maxing in 1e. The system didn't allow for it. OP Magic items were the main cause of OP characters. There have been many OGL-derived versions of D&D that have come out lately. Many inform the OSR - Old School Renaissance, and one aspect about them, player characters tend to be more squishy, as in the old days of D&D.
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:24 pm

MAS wrote:

2) I am very guilty of this - characters with mega customized crunches and nearly super combat powers. I've largely gotten lazy with problem solving and roleplaying. When I stepped away from this a bit with TLM in Chris's scifi game, I had a blast. Man, I think it'd be cool to do a campaign or series of adventures with a largely non-combat party...

1) totally agree. that is actually why the Marshall got us into so much trouble in [Only admins are allowed to see this link] I have tried to play characters recently (when I get a chance to play) as close to THEIR personality as I see them. As opposed to the cautious, meta-gamer, thinking about exaclty how much damage can a trap do to me at this level player. I have tried to be 'in the moment' more and not think as Chris. I wanted to do this as the Ork pit-fighter as well, intentionally taking a character not as smart as me and try to 'play dumb' if you will. That has been a fun challenge and gotten us into more trouble than we might otherwise have found.

2) yup, me too. although, as you said, we are such a veteran group, it is hard NOT be good at combat, even when you don't try. that was one reason I have been suggesting lower levels and lower stat points.
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    24/24  (24/24)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:27 pm

Robyo wrote:
    I understand Matt's point about PC's being more than a just a bunch of crunched numbers. It's refreshing to play a character with a unique concept, though he may not be optimized to the Nth degree. The wookie I'm making for Star Wars is raw concept. I'm making him for fun, martial arts and all. He certainly won't be raw DPS. That gets boring.

cheers did you see the Wookie martial art style? good stuff
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Just out of curiosity, did the surviving characters get any level advancement for this last encounter? Just wanted to know for when it comes time to decide on what I'm going to play when we continue this.
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:16 pm

whit10 wrote:Just out of curiosity, did the surviving characters get any level advancement for this last encounter? Just wanted to know for when it comes time to decide on what I'm going to play when we continue this.

It's still up-in-the-air when we'll begin continuance. Could be the same day or a month later in game time... Kind of depends on who wants to play what characters... If it is the same day (a minute or hour later, perhaps) then no, because you guys just leveled up before you arrived at the ranch.
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:03 pm

gotcha
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:47 pm

I think this is the campaign I will run, when I'm up for GMing again on the forum. I've got a lot written for it already, much more than Primal Planet. Though I do still want to run the PP idea sometime, Weird West is cool too. Plus, there's a lot of potential for player characters as far as rift-jumping, plane-traveling, and genre-hopping. I want to introduce more electrotech as well.

So, would you guys prefer to start at the time period we had before (1880's) or jump ahead say, 20 years, to when electrotech is more widespread?

Either way, there's a crazy alien invasion underway! Twisted Evil 
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:18 pm

I am glad to hear this! I really did like the WW game in particular and the crazy-genre overall.

I don't care about the timeline, except for how it would influence our characters. If I still wanted to tell the tale of Marshall Sparks, how would that work 20 yrs later?

I can change too, but I did like 'Boots. I was enjoying his personality, especially as it developed more on the road\ranch. I was playing him to "nice" in the tavern.
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:48 pm

"Eh boodts; yeu szeenk Yeu kahn... How yeuszay... Pudt me bahk een mai boddie?"

I'm happy to play the ghost of jp but he's already missing wine... That means he'll have to tripple the song and irritating chatter... And ghosts dont sleep!
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:18 pm

Sounds like we can pick up the story shortly afterwards, with Boots and JP and add a few new characters.

All PC's enjoy a +4 level bump.

Alan, I forgot how difficult JP is to understand! Will being incorporeal (and lack of wine) make him any easier to comprehend? What if he gained telepathy?

But yeah, JP's life force, while in the tunnel of light, is given a few choices; either he can transcend into the beyond, or return back to Aerth as a spirit, a reincarnated being, or become resurrected by magic. There's a known witch in the territory the others could bring him to. But if JP remains a spirit, he'll become undead and gain a few new powers.

Basically, JP already received a +2 bump to gain the Incorporeal Template. The Undead Template is another +2 levels.

Or heck, he could just be reincarnated as a bear.
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:17 am

I'm not that concerned about the mechanics. I enjoy his personality. Which works best for your story, either ghost or near-death survivor? Or there's Olistaff. JP's demise was legit and you were more than generous with his transition.
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:03 am

Rob, I think I had discussed changing characters. It was nothing on you, I just wasn't really enjoying playing a gunslinger in this particular game.

I'd really rather play a Shifter if that's ok. If that means I have to start at a slightly lower level than those that stick with their characters, I'm down with that.

Are Half-Orks allowed?
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:37 am

Half-orc is fine Josh. I thought you already made him, but if not, just begin at same level as everyone else.
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:39 am

JP is cool, but if he sticks around as a ghost he'll be undead, just sayin'. Doesn't make him any more eeevil than he already is, but Marshal Paladin might not like it.
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:40 am

And (correct me if I'm wrong) that would make everyone's character at 8th level when we reboot the campaign.
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:44 am

It would be lots of fun to explore what crazy mischief jp would get into. Think of it like the movie "ghost". He has to finish something he started before he can ascend. You could set terms on that. It would also give boots time to put jp back in his body. Or theres Olistaff...
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:18 am

Thank you Rob. I think I've made him but he might not be 8th level (I've made too many characters over the last 6 months, lol)
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:52 am

whit10 wrote: (I've made too many characters over the last 6 months, lol)

No such thing!
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:39 am

lol.. naw man, I've got like 6 that are unfinished for Matt's campaign.. 'tis a bit silly  drunken 
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:55 am

hmmm.... so many choices. If Matt and Josh are switching to big melee bruisers, maybe I will switch too. That was sort of Marshall's schtick. Maybe he can take JP's body and go back to Pestilence. If the ghost of JP asks to be rezzed, Boots would go find the witch and 'persuade' her to help. If not, he would bury the body with all the wine on the ranch.

I had been looking at a gunslinger at one point, but I don't seem to have put anything on paper. The electrotech and 20yrs later sounds good for a gunslinger.

I haven't even finished my mage for PF yet, so I really shouldn't start looking through Radiance again.

I am not decided on anything at this point.

If we are now 8th, can we take Townie levels?
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Chris, yes you can take a townie profession. It's a +2 level template and adds (I think) 2 years to the character's age.

You guys decide what PC's you want to use and I'll start drawing up the background. There's plenty for Marshal Sparks to investigate, but a new character is fine too.

whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:31 pm

I'll stick with the Half-Orc Shifter. If we don't take a townie template, does it just mean that we're strangers in the local town (aside from not getting the powers anyway)?

He'll also be an indian of some kind. Probably Apache or Comanche... I assume that's not an issue?
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:46 pm

whit10 wrote:I'll stick with the Half-Orc Shifter.  If we don't take a townie template, does it just mean that we're strangers in the local town (aside from not getting the powers anyway)?

He'll also be an indian of some kind.  Probably Apache or Comanche... I assume that's not an issue?

Townie, despite the name, is just a template. Your character doesn't have to be a stranger in town, unless you want him to be.

Depending on how old your half-orc, he could be from Aerth or came through one of the rifts. The rifts started appearing 25 years previously, during the Civil War. Maybe your PC's orc daddy came though a rift and ended up impregnated a local Aerth human woman? Or not. It's not really a big deal, just background fluff, but will help me tie your character to the adventure plot.
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:58 pm

yeah, that's why I was asking, so you could fit him into storyline. I'll get it figured, thanks for the info
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:08 pm

If i play olistaff, i can make him 8th level?
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Hey Rob, I think I am understanding the Radiance level rules, but I am not 100% sure.

Total Levels are added up and then you read across the line on pg 40 to see what abilities you get.  right?

Does it work the same way for Townie level as with Multiclass levels?  
    -meaning the townie levels just replace whatever other abilities you would normally get at that level.  on page 260 paragraph 5 states:

A PC can settle down for 2 years to adopt a townie profession. His
    effective level increases by +2, he gains the profession’s abilities and a
    +2 bonus to the profession’s prime attribute, and he enjoys +10 vitality
    with a +1 bonus on attack rolls and saves as typical of advancing 2 levels

so let's say a Gunslinger makes it to 2nd level, then decides to settle down for 2 years and takes the Rough Rider townie profession.  2 years later, he takes up the class GS again and starts adventuring.  He makes it 5th lvl (2 GS + 2 townie + new level).  He would then read across the chart for lvl 5 (pg40) and take 2 Intermediate tier abilities.  

His townie profession (and the above bonuses) replaced the abilities, theme, racial, etc of lvl 3 and 4.

Am I reading that correctly?
    I think I am.....

Last edited by Chirs2 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Every character should be at 8th level, whenever we reboot the adventure. That could mean 6th level plus a Townie profession, or 5th level plus an Alder profession, or 4th level and two +2 level templates (as in JP's situation), and so on. In the end, a character's levels should equal 8th.

Thanks for the questions and interest! I hope I'm not confusing anyone.

Remember you can multiclass only once and switch themes only once. Don't worry about the multiclass restrictions under each race, I'm ignoring that rule.

Townies add 2 years to a character's age, Alder adds 3 years, and a Patron adds 6 (but a character needs to be an Alder first, before gaining Patron, so I think that makes them out of reach for 8th level PCs).

Last edited by Robyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Yes Chris, I believe you are correct. Ignore the normal level class bennies for the levels that you are taking a Townie (in your example: levels 3 & 4). Townie abilities replace anything gained from normal class advancement.
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:36 pm

I am thinking as a storyline tie-in..... since Zyd and the other deputy died, Marshall Sparks recruited the new GS at lvl 2 (same as Zyd) as his deputy in Pestilence. The GS settled down in Pestilence and became Sparks' Gun Hand (rough rider). Not sure what happens after that.....

maybe the GS gets recruited into the FBA (Federal Bureau of Anomaly) <- Rasso Darkstar hook
    or leaves Pestilence, picking up GS again, goes adventuring
    or something happens to Sparks and he replaces Boots as the badge

maybe 1 or 2, then 3
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:45 pm

All or any of those storylines are certainly doable and sound good!

The GS becomes the new lawman, so what happened to Sparks?

Maybe, after he investigated the ranch, he returned to town and met with the magistrate (remember?) who sent the Marshal and his deputies on a special mission/quest. They were not heard from again.

The government organization is called the BMA - Bureau of Meta Activity. Nothing against the FBA, but I already had the BMA planned, though I like sound of Federal Bureau of Anomaly as well. Perhaps the FBA are geared more towards investigating the rifts phenomenon, while the BMA oversees a more broad spectrum of supernatural "incidents." Hey, it's the Federal Government and well-known for multitudes of redundant bureaucracies!

Shall we then say, the adventure reboots at least 2 years after the incidents of the first adventure? Or even 3 - 5 years later.. that way, adequate time passes for any characters to "settle down" to gain a townie profession or just be out adventuring.

How long does it take in D&D to gain 4 levels? Radiance seems to think it takes 2 years for 2 levels, but that's for a very specialized training, which Townies tend to be. I mean, 2nd level characters that raise dead or can be immortal? Seems OP in the traditional sense of D&D, but the system makes it at least possible, but balanced?
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:10 pm

I've never got the whole "it takes x number of years to be experienced." I'm sure it might work with this system (just as a rubric) but experience doesn't really work that way IMO. One day's practical application of learning can provide the same thing as sitting in a classroom for a year.

Any who... my guy will probably be the last member of his tribe. Instead of whitey wiping them all out, maybe it was the alien buggers that we fought in the first campaign? Now he's seeking answers and putting aside his rage with whitey to fight the common enemy?

...the lines I'm thinking along for now but I'm more than happy to see what you have to say about this Rob
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:58 pm

The alien buggers are a faction of the Aberrant Empire. Led by Illithids, they are acting incognito, but have been responsible for the rifts and many atrocities. Among their plans, actively trying to destabilize the planet, and being successful too! In the 20+ years since the rift(bombs) started to appear, the face of the world has changed from a rather pale imitation of Earth to something of D&D in the 1880's. Magic went from a secretive superstition to nearly everyday occurrence. Elves and Orks are no longer considered myth.

Josh, if you want to make your character's tribe wiped-out by Illithids and their Facestealer minions, that's fine.
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Cool man, I'll work that in to his background.

Just out of curiosity, is there any 'war' going on between Native tribes and the established National Army?
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:49 pm

whit10 wrote:Cool man, I'll work that in to his background.

Just out of curiosity, is there any 'war' going on between Native tribes and the established National Army?

Yes, but nothing widespread. Many smaller-scale territorial uprisings. No leader has unified the "First Ones" to cause any real threat to federal power.
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:51 pm

Gotcha... sounds good.
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:56 pm

I added a "Bits of Aerth History" thread to help fill in some gaps. It provides dates and a little more explanation of many of the points touched on in the "Tales from the Porch" thread, which you can read too, to get more background, if you wish.
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:36 pm

Robyo wrote:
    The government organization is called the BMA - Bureau of Meta Activity. Nothing against the FBA, but I already had the BMA planned, though I like sound of Federal Bureau of Anomaly as well. Perhaps the FBA are geared more towards investigating the rifts phenomenon, while the BMA oversees a more broad spectrum of supernatural "incidents." Hey, it's the Federal Government and well-known for multitudes of redundant bureaucracies!

Shall we then say, the adventure reboots at least 2 years after the incidents of the first adventure? Or even 3 - 5 years later.. that way, adequate time passes for any characters to "settle down" to gain a townie profession or just be out adventuring.

How long does it take in D&D to gain 4 levels? Radiance seems to think it takes 2 years for 2 levels, but that's for a very specialized training, which Townies tend to be. I mean, 2nd level characters that raise dead or can be immortal? Seems OP in the traditional sense of D&D, but the system makes it at least possible, but balanced?

I like BMA too.  I agree there would be lots of interested factions of the government and factions within factions.  

AIA - Aberrant Intelligence Agency
    BRM - Bureau of Rift Management
    ABI - Asimar Bureau of Investigation (if pres is an outlander)
    DRA - Dwarven Rifle Association
    DEA - Destroy Every Aberrant
    ALF - Aerth Liberation Front

it's kind of fun to take existing 3 letter acronyms and re-purpose them  drunken 

3-5 yrs sounds better, but your story

I think the townie levels and 2 yrs represent "down time" not adventuring time.
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:45 pm

Rob, I'm sure you might have addressed this somewhere, but the +3 in weapons thing... can that be taken as a protective item instead? My guy doesn't really need magic weapons in all honesty. He has a +13 to hit with bite and claws already. lol
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:43 am

Sure, +3 bonus items in weapon (attack/damage) and/or armor (DR) or split up however.

Page 152 has the table for beginning cash. 8th level = 13,000.

whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    19/19  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    1/0  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:51 am

What can we buy again? Magic items?

Sponsored content