Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

5 posters

Fighting for FLAK - combat only

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only Left_bar_bleue35/35Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only Left_bar_bleue0/0Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty Fighting for FLAK - combat only

Post  Chris Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:54 am

Chris wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    Chris wrote:Initiative Order:

T'son 21
    Daxx 16
    Rakhu 15
    XXXXXX 14
    Sharn 6

updated

( I know you are all blind at the moment, but I will provide more pics and a map as things are revealed)

T'son is up

I will post the map here, when needed and we establish positions.

I want this thread to be just for the battle map and map updates, with turn updates, counters, etc.

Keep posting your actions in the thread, as usual. My thinking here, and this is only a test, is that I have heard and experienced the map and the turn order getting lost in the comments thread. I want to have just the updated map and info here, so you can access that info more easily without searching through pages of posts. I would suggest opening 2 tabs\windows - 1 with the map and 1 with the comment thread - when you make moves or take your turn. Let's see if this works any better.

In other words.... don't post here!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only Left_bar_bleue35/35Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only Left_bar_bleue0/0Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty Re: Fighting for FLAK - combat only

Post  Chris Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:37 am

Chris wrote:Initiative Order:
    T'son 21
    Daxx 16   **EA 10**  (counter on Enhanced Ability rds)
    Rakhu  15
    Probe Droid  14
    Sharn       6 **EA 2** (since it was started before combat)

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Droid_10

I didn't have a dry erase marker when I took the initial pics, but I have one now, so I will put letters\numbers on the map as you move

I think the map should be clear, but just to make sure

the stream you crossed is to the North (the enemy gate is always down!).  Sharn was in the lead and hide in the foliage.  T'son took partial cover behind a fallen tree.  Rakhu moved up to his position and also hid.  Daxx did not hide nor move and is still back by the stream.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:33 pm

Ok, here is the new map.  sorry for the orientation change, the enemy gate is now to the right!

Before we go any further, I want to make sure this is correct, as I heard a couple different variations of the plan.  I am going by the last posted, if this is not right, now is the time to speak up, or forever hold your Taun-tauns

Upper left corner - we have Rakhu, Sharn and Daxx all going up the left side of the mountain now (as opposed to the first plan) all starting in hiding behind a bush and rocks.

middle, left side - we have T'son in the middle with the frag launcher

enemies - top middle of the map, the garindan and the trando, by the speeder
               - bottom middle, human, downed droid, functional droid
               - far right side of map, top of hill, 2 guards a nikto and a lando, another on top of the rock
               - target flak gun near lower right hand corner of map

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Fighti12
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:13 am

ok, I hope this is correct

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Fighti13

only real change from above, was moving Rakhu to the middle with T'son

let's just roll combat in this thread, since the other one got clustered
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:14 am

results of the setup phase:

Sharn -  buffed before combat started with EA
    stealth 18
    init 12

Daxx
    stealth 24
    init 21

Rakhu
    stealth 25
    init 19

Tson
    stealth 21
    init 23

heroes move into position using stealth

Soren's Mercenaries are on duty to guard this bunker.  they are very well paid and highly trained.  However - they were not alerted by the Probe Droid, so they all get a -5 to their spot checks, -10 to the guy working on the droid and -10 to the guys way up the hill, unless they had some special equipment.

Spot checks all around for the mercs were mixed, I rolled them in groups based on their class\designation and range, so some did better than others.

The Heroes sneak up into their above positions and get ready to initiate combat, but the Garindan and the Trandoshan by the speeder bike alert to someone coming up the left flank and also notice movement in the middle.  They are not surprised, nor do they appear to have been caught flat footed.

The guy fixing the droids seems oblivious.... and continues his work while humming a happy little tune

The lone guy on top of the rock also alerts to movement on the left and middle, but the two by the gates don't seem to react.

SURPRISE ACTIONS:

Daxx gets 1 standard action
    Rakhu gets 1 standard action

Initiative will then proceed as follows:

T'son 23
    Daxx 21 *10 rds BM
    Garindan\Trando 20
    Rakhu 19
    Lone guy on rock 16
    Sharn 12   *9 rds EA
    door guards 9
    droid guy 8
    droid 6

Daxx, then Rakhu surprise are up!

Last edited by Chris on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only Left_bar_bleue19/19Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only Left_bar_bleue1/0Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:35 am

Daxx will use Battlemind while he waits for Rakhu to open up with his guns.

Roll(1d20)+7:
    14,+7
    Total:21

+3 to attacks. -5 to vitality
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:04 am

Daxx focuses his mind for the upcoming fight!

I would really appreciate if you guys could keep a running total of your stuff when you post in combat. I know it is a bit more booking, but the GM is keeping track of the all NPC stats, initiative and I am even keeping your buff timers. mostly I just want to see a current running total on Vitality and Wound pts

so for instance Daxx's post would look like this

whit10 wrote:Daxx will use Battlemind while he waits for Rakhu to open up with his guns.

Roll(1d20)+7:
    14,+7
    Total:21

+3 to attacks. -5 to vitality

V39\W13

or V 39\44
    W 13\13

something like that please!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only Left_bar_bleue19/19Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only Left_bar_bleue1/0Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:44 am

I'm keeping note of all changes on my character sheet but I will do that for you to make it easier.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am

whit10 wrote:I'm keeping note of all changes on my character sheet but I will do that for you to make it easier.

I figured as much, I always kept a notepad near the computer with stat stuff too, but I appreciate the updates.

Rakhu surprise action is up

then start of initiative

T'son is on deck

Daxx in the hole
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only Left_bar_bleue68/68Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:32 pm

My weapon must fire at least twice. He will pull the trigger and aim for the garindan. I will let u decide how that works in the surprize round, chris.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:44 pm

navyik wrote: My weapon must fire at least twice.  He will pull the trigger and aim for the garindan.  I will let u decide how that works in the surprize round, chris.

an interesting dilemma....

I think the simple answer is that you cannot fire a weapon that requires a FULL ROUND ACTION (which it does) during surprise, when you only get a partial action - either standard (attack in SW) or move. Rakhu would know this and could start with something else in his hand, if you choose.

This also covers anyone trying to make multiple attacks, like 2 weapon fighting or rapid shot or even just having the +6\+1 2 attacks or any Force powers that require a Full Round Action to use.

however.... in the interest of fun and games, I would let you spend your move action from your actual turn now, so that you can go multi\auto fire during surprise if you want. When you initiative comes up, however, you only have a standard action remaining and would not be able to fire multi\auto again and would have to take another single standard action at that time. Or do something else now and go multi\auto during your action.

up to you, magoo

(I am off to take the kids to the pool for swimming lessons, be back in a couple hours)
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:14 pm

if I might add an option... Alan, you could burn a force point for an extra standard action. If the GM allows it anyway
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only Left_bar_bleue68/68Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Grenade on the group closest to me.  (Droids?)  D20= 10+8= 18  -10 for range =8 to hit the target hex.

Dmg 4d6+1= 10
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:15 pm

whit10 wrote:if I might add an option... Alan, you could burn a force point for an extra standard action. If the GM allows it anyway

YES! another creative solution, though expensive

navyik wrote:Grenade on the group closest to me.  (Droids?)  D20= 10+8= 18  -10 for range =8 to hit the target hex.

Dmg 4d6+1= 10

DC to hit a Hex = 10
    pg 165 of the core book shows the scatter\miss rules

Rakhu's grennade lands 4m off target to the West, which is 2 hexes west of the target and about 1 hex north of the downed droid.  The downed droid gets no save and is blown to bits by the shrapnel.  The guy working on the droid seems to have ducked his head, just in time.  The standing droid took a good blast of frag pieces and appears clearly damaged though is still standing.

updated map for the start of round 1

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Fighti15

Chris wrote:

Initiative:

T'son 23
    Daxx 21   *10 rds BM
    Garindan\Trando 20
    Rakhu 19
    Lone guy on rock 16
    Sharn 12   *9 rds EA
    door guards 9
    droid guy 8
    droid 6

T'son is up
    Daxx on Deck
    Scouts in the hole

I know that there are no numbers, but try to use the LETTERS across the bottom to at least let me know what column your target or movement is in.  Or give me something like, XXX moves 3 hexes west and 1 NW or something.

The blast seems to have caught everyone's attention, if they weren't already alerted.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only Left_bar_bleue60/112Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Grenade launcher attack against the same group Raku hit - aiming for a hex

Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +4" :

12 + 4 = 16

Damage -
    Result of the throw of dice "4d6 +1" :

1 + 6 + 6 + 1 + 1 = 15
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Fighti16

A direct hit!

Droid bits are scattered everywhere. The guy didn't seem ready for a second volley, but he appears to have a bit heavier armor on under his poncho and is still ok.

Daxx is up
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:39 pm

I'll take my action when I get home (I'll just edit this post)... I just want to make sure that the GM knows that Daxx currently has EA and BM going (+6 to Dex, +3 to Attacks). EA was used before this actually started so, it has 9 rounds left.

Vitality 32/40
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:01 pm

whit10 wrote:I'll take my action when I get home (I'll just edit this post)... I just want to make sure that the GM knows that Daxx currently has EA and BM going (+6 to Dex, +3 to Attacks).  EA was used before this actually started so, it has 9 rounds left.

Vitality 32/40

Daxx only has Battle Mind activated currently. EA was the last fight with the probe droid, remember it only lasts 10 rds or 1 min, so after sneaking up the hill some 100-200m, that expired, which is why I didn't include it in your buff *lists.

you made initiative and stealth checks in n146

Sharn declared he was using EA before this fight in n149

to which you replied in n150, you were moving stealthily towards the speeder

I believe your vitality is correct, since no one chose to use any healing skills before moving up the hill, but your EA is expired
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:29 pm

nope... post n77. But since it took ten fucking rounds to clear a probe droid.... Daxx does nothign but use EA again...

Roll(1d20)+7:
    20,+7
    Total:27

Done with my turn, goddammit

vitality 29/40... fuck it. Burning a force point for heal self.

Roll(1d20)+7:
    13,+7
    Total:20

Roll(1d8)+4:
    8,+4
    Total:12 Vitality 40 now

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only Left_bar_bleue60/112Fighting for FLAK - combat only Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Dam - forgot my move action - can I still declare one?

If so - T'son will move forward/right to the cover just above E&F.

Shooting a quick look to Raku "Moving out...Finish him off!"

Shoot - move - communicate!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:12 pm

whit10 wrote:nope... post n77.  But since it took ten fucking rounds to clear a probe droid.... Daxx does nothign but use EA again...

Done with my turn, goddammit

Vitality 40 now

email sent
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:15 pm

MAS wrote:Dam - forgot my move action - can I still declare one?

I think in the interest of fairness, someone else has already taken an action, so at this point, we're moving on to the Scout's turns, sorry.

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:18 pm

sorry for the attitude
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:22 pm

whit10 wrote:sorry for the attitude

cheers, game on!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Fighti17

The Garindan uses 1 move action to hop on the speeder bike and a 2nd move action to fly the speeder bike (100m spd).  He makes a slow U-turn before gassing it up to full speed.  He lands behind a large fallen tree, as seen on the map.  I am showing where he landed, because of the all the various lines of sight, but he is effectively blocked LOS (full cover) from Rakhu and T'son.

The Trandoshan, who saw Sharn sneaking up before the fight started, bares his fangs and makes a quick gesture to the wookie.  Sharn instantly knows the meaning of the Trandoshan's thumb claw being dragged backwards over his head in a "scalping" motion.  Wookie pelts are a prized trophy for Trandoshan hunters.  They have committed many atrocities (think ivory hunter stuff) to the Wookies over many centuries of hunting them, often on their own homeworld of Kashyyyk.

The Trandoshan moves and draws his rifle, as noted.  He takes 1 shot at Sharn, it just barely whizzes past the Wookie.  Sharn gets the sense that only his force-heightened reflexes saved him that time!

Chris wrote:

Initiative:

T'son 23
    Daxx 21   *10 rds BM
    Garindan\Trando 20
    Rakhu 19
    Lone guy on rock 16
    Sharn 12   *9 rds EA
    door guards 9
    droid guy 8
    droid 6

Rakhu is up
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:04 pm

"T'son, grenade on the speeder!"

Blam blam blam! At droid guy.

11+5=16.  dmg (3d8+3)= 9
    16+5= 21. dmg = 16
    11+5= 16. dmg = 18

Vitality / wounds @ full
    Buffs: natural badass muthuhfukuh.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:44 pm

navyik wrote:"T'son, grenade on the speeder!"

Blam blam blam! At droid guy.

11+5=16.   dmg (3d8+3)= 9
    16+5= 21.  dmg = 16
    11+5= 16.  dmg = 18

Vitality / wounds @ full
    Buffs: natural badass muthuhfukuh.

Sad damn, poor Tech Specialist never even got to do anything.  all 3 shots hit his flatfooted butt and drop him in the dirt next to his busted up droids.

The guy on top of the rocks uses a move action to activate a softball-sized sphere he was holding.  The sphere splits in 2 and separates about 6m apart, as it hovers about 1m off the ground.  The heroes can see a faint energy field form in between the sphere halves.  The Sharpshooter then drops prone (free action) behind his shield and takes a shot at Rakhu for killing his Techie companion.

Twisted Evil  he threatens a crit on an 18

crit check.... failed!

regular damage = 14

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Fighti18

*just a reminder, (I think I said this, not 100% sure and don't want to go looking)  bushes are partial cover +2 DC,  rocks\fallen trees are half +4 if you are shooting over them or can be full if you just duck down

Sharn is up
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:22 am

I thought Sharn had already moved up to behind the bush that is near Trandoshan.

Robyo wrote:Sharn will sneak his way up left towards the speeder bike. Hiding behind cover as he moves.

"...the Left side - looks like a Garindan (lt) and a Trandoshan, the racial enemy of wookies (rt) standing near a speeder bike"

Sharn's plan is to accompany Daxx , and assist where necessary to disable the tower. First though, he must deal with the hated Trandoshan. Perhaps the speeder bike will also come in handy? He still has on his combat gloves.

Enhance Ability (Dex): 7+16= 23... +4 DEX (+2 mod)

Initiative: 0+10+2= 12

Stealth Check: 2+9+2= 13
    Spend a Force Point: 2d6= 5
    Final Stealth: 2+9+2+5= 18

Sharn is behind the bush, waiting his turn to tear the Trandoshan a new one.

If not, I guess I'll do that now.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:50 am

Robyo wrote:I thought Sharn had already moved up to behind the bush that is near Trandoshan.

Robyo wrote:Sharn will sneak his way up left towards the speeder bike. Hiding behind cover as he moves.

I asked everyone to deploy on the left side of the map.  This was your deployment.

Sharn's plan is to accompany Daxx ,  

Sharn is with Daxx, behind a bush and heading towards where the speeder bike used to be, as you requested.

Sharn is behind the bush, waiting his turn to tear the Trandoshan a new one.

I think the bush you 2 are hiding behind got a bit obscured by the 2 character tokens, sorry.

If not, I guess I'll do that now.

This is Sharn's first turn during combat.    

Sharn has been spotted, the Trando gave him the scalping gesture and has shot at him, so he is no longer in stealth mode.  If you read the opening post of the fight, the 2 scouts (Garindan and Trando) and the Sharpshooter, alerted to someone on the top of the map (Sharn) and someone in the middle (T'son), which is why only Daxx and Rakhu got surprise actions.

I did ask everyone, twice, to check the map and make sure your character was where you wanted it before combat started.  But maybe you missed those requests in all the arguing about the plan jibber-jabber.

so you could attempt to enter stealth again and move at half speed, if you want, or take your normal movement and then hide (at the risk of the enemy knowing your general location since they would see the move).  

Sharn could make it to the next closet bush while using stealth.  Sharn could double move to the fallen tree and drop prone (free).  

Chris wrote:
    *just a reminder, (I think I said this, not 100% sure and don't want to go looking)  bushes are partial cover +2 DC,  rocks\fallen trees are half +4 if you are shooting over them or can be full if you just duck down

.......Or something else, if you prefer

let me try to blow up your area and see if that helps you and so you can better count your hexes, remember you move 5 hexes in any direction

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Area_s11
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:57 am

Sharn sneaks over to the fallen tree (X2 move) and goes prone.

Stealth Check: 2+14+2= 18

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Robyo wrote:Sharn sneaks over to the fallen tree (X2 move) and goes prone.

Stealth Check: 2+14+2= 18

I posted the Pathfinder Stealth rules in the SW house rules, sorry that I didn't make this distinction earlier. I posted it since this group seems to use Stealth a lot and this should remove any future confusion. If anyone is not sure about stealth - ask first study 

Given the terrain, I think you have something to hide behind, namely the fallen tree, when you get there, which offsets the normal restriction since the Trandoshan is watching you (attacking you) and you didn't Bluff or somehow distract him.

If you want to make it to the tree using stealth and moving at greater than half your speed, you can, but it will incur the -5 penalty as described. So your stealth total will be 13.

Or you can choose something else, since the stealth rules weren't as clear as I should have made them.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:21 pm

You said I could legally make the move to behind the tree. Still not sure what happened to the surprise round, where I would have moved up there already; either behind the fallen tree, or closer yet, behind the bush, but that's what Sharn aims to do now.

It sounds like only T'son and Rakhu got surprise? Apparently my initial stealth check wasn't even warranted. I had already been in stealth mode from climbing up the trail and encountered the droid. Apparently, this is a whole new encounter, so that's fine. I make another check and spend a force point. He saw me, but I still didn't get my move. And now I guess he saw me anyways, which is a wasted point.

I have partial cover +2 behind the bush. Does that stack with the other bushes and foliage? Depending on how he sees me, then I could have additional cover. Of course he would need to move around to see me better.

But okay, he has a "bead" on me, that's fine. There's really no point in sneaking up to the fallen tree if I know he's watching me. I could make a charge or whatever. You said the tree is full cover if Sharn went prone? That's what he did.

So it just amounts to having a standard action left? It's not like the Trando gets an AoO, or something while I move over there? In that case I run briskly, not worrying about stealth.

If I have a standard action left, can I do something like "be defensive" and gain +2 to defense and saves?

Otherwise, I'll use the Force.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:37 pm

technically, AoO happen whenever you move into someone's threat range (i.e. right next to them, unless they have reach)... something to think about, I've gotten burned on this repeatedly. You have to attack if you move into attack range, otherwise they get an AoO.... unless Chris reads it differently
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:46 pm

T'son did not get a surprise round as he was seen by the mercs. Raku and Dax did, IIRC.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Robyo wrote:You said I could legally make the move to behind the tree. Still not sure what happened to the surprise round, where I would have moved up there already; either behind the fallen tree, or closer yet, behind the bush, but that's what Sharn aims to do now.

It sounds like only T'son and Rakhu got surprise? Apparently my initial stealth check wasn't even warranted. I had already been in stealth mode from climbing up the trail and encountered the droid. Apparently, this is a whole new encounter, so that's fine. I make another check and spend a force point. He saw me, but I still didn't get my move. And now I guess he saw me anyways, which is a wasted point.

I have partial cover +2 behind the bush. Does that stack with the other bushes and foliage? Depending on how he sees me, then I could have additional cover. Of course he would need to move around to see me better.

But okay, he has a "bead" on me, that's fine. There's really no point in sneaking up to the fallen tree if I know he's watching me. I could make a charge or whatever. You said the tree is full cover if Sharn went prone? That's what he did.

So it just amounts to having a standard action left? It's not like the Trando gets an AoO, or something while I move over there? In that case I run briskly, not worrying about stealth.

If I have a standard action left, can I do something like "be defensive" and gain +2 to defense and saves?

Otherwise, I'll use the Force.

Hehehe, now you know our frustration as players in WWW.  I apologize if my map and description were not clear enough and I did try to give everyone time to ask questions or say if something wasn't correct.

Surprise - as I have always known it to be played, and as it is written on pg 151 of the SW Core Book, reads that you are surprised if you don't know about your enemy or they are surprised if they don't know about you.

Please re-read the battle map setup thread with this in mind.  

Chris wrote:results of the setup phase:

Sharn -  buffed before combat started with EA
    stealth 18
    init 12

Daxx
    stealth 24
    init 21

Rakhu
    stealth 25
    init 19

Tson
    stealth 21
    init 23

heroes move into position using stealth

Soren's Mercenaries are on duty to guard this bunker.  they are very well paid and highly trained.  However - they were not alerted by the Probe Droid, so they all get a -5 to their spot checks, -10 to the guy working on the droid and -10 to the guys way up the hill, unless they had some special equipment.

Spot checks all around for the mercs were mixed, I rolled them in groups based on their class\designation and range, so some did better than others.

The Heroes sneak up into their above positions and get ready to initiate combat, but the Garindan and the Trandoshan by the speeder bike alert to someone coming up the left flank and also notice movement in the middle.  They are not surprised, nor do they appear to have been caught flat footed.

The guy fixing the droids seems oblivious.... and continues his work while humming a happy little tune

The lone guy on top of the rock also alerts to movement on the left and middle, but the two by the gates don't seem to react.

SURPRISE ACTIONS:

Daxx gets 1 standard action
    Rakhu gets 1 standard action

I asked everyone for a stealth check for this encounter, to determine who would be surprised and who wasn't.  The Probe Droid fight was several minutes earlier and a whole different combat.  The stealth check when you spent the Force point WAS for the this initial startup map deployment.  

I gave all the Mercs spot checks, modified by their proximity and level of distraction or alertness.  Sharn and T'son were spotted, as noted in the text.  Therefore the enemy was aware of Sharn and T'son, so you did not get a surprise action.  Only Rakhu and Daxx had stealth checks that beat the Merc's Spot rolls.  I said these guys are highly trainied, meaning not scrubs, and I have revealed some of them to be Scouts and Sharpshooters (high spot checks).

This is Sharn's first action, which is why he is still in his initial setup position.  

I wasn't presuming to know why you used stealth or not, that is up to you.  I was just giving you the possibilities based on what you stated you wanted to do.

I enlarged the map so you could see the hexes.  Yes, Sharn can make it to the tree, which would take a double move - count the hexes.  Or he could move at half speed in the stealth to the next closest bush.  Or Sharn could stealth to the tree at a -5 penalty.  

hopefully that is clear now, here is the updated map with Sharn's new position, dropping prone behind the fallen tree for full cover.

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Fighti19
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:52 pm

MAS wrote:T'son did not get a surprise round as he was seen by the mercs. Raku and Dax did, IIRC.

yes, this is correct, same for Sharn
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:59 pm

whit10 wrote:technically, AoO happen whenever you move into someone's threat range (i.e. right next to them, unless they have reach)... something to think about, I've gotten burned on this repeatedly.  You have to attack if you move into attack range, otherwise they get an AoO.... unless Chris reads it differently

Not quite.....   it has nothing to do with whether or not you attack.  AoO only deals with whether MOVE or TAKE AN ACTION during which you cannot defend yourself WHILE INSIDE someone's threat zone.

these types of actions - cast a spell, use most skills, etc

You can move into someone's threat zone and do nothing - this does not provoke an AoO.  However once you are inside their threat zone, you cannot move again or take an action, as above, without the AoO.  You can attack or not, but as long as you are paying attention to the melee wpn in your face, they don't get the OPPORTUNITY to attack you

your beloved Pathfinder spells it out clearly

Attacks of Opportunity

Sometimes a combatant in a melee lets her guard down or takes a reckless action. In this case, combatants near her can take advantage of her lapse in defense to attack her for free. These free attacks are called attacks of opportunity. See the Attacks of Opportunity diagram for an example of how they work.

Threatened Squares: You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your turn. Generally, that means everything in all squares adjacent to your space (including diagonally). An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity from you. If you're unarmed, you don't normally threaten any squares and thus can't make attacks of opportunity.

Reach Weapons: Most creatures of Medium or smaller size have a reach of only 5 feet. This means that they can make melee attacks only against creatures up to 5 feet (1 square) away. However, Small and Medium creatures wielding reach weapons threaten more squares than a typical creature. In addition, most creatures larger than Medium have a natural reach of 10 feet or more.

Provoking an Attack of Opportunity: Two kinds of actions can provoke attacks of opportunity: moving out of a threatened square and performing certain actions within a threatened square.

Moving: Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes attacks of opportunity from threatening opponents. There are two common methods of avoiding such an attack—the 5-foot step and the withdraw action. **chris adds TUMBLING**

Performing a Distracting Act: Some actions, when performed in a threatened square, provoke attacks of opportunity as you divert your attention from the battle. Table: Actions in Combat notes many of the actions that provoke attacks of opportunity.

Remember that even actions that normally provoke attacks of opportunity may have exceptions to this rule.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:09 pm

anyways, back to this fight - door guards turn.

The two door guards appear to discuss something briefly, pointing towards their fallen Tech Specialist in despair.  The Lando guard turns and activates a small control panel near the blast doors.  The doors open with a WOOSH and he takes his move action to run inside, after which the doors close shut again, WUUMP.

The Nikto guard moves 10m up to the center rock, as seen, and fires at T'son as his buddy already targeted Rakhu.  His shot is well wide of the target.

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Fighti20

Chris wrote:
    T'son 23
    Daxx 21   *9 rds BM
    Scouts - Garindan\Trando 20
    Rakhu 19   * permanent BAMF *
    Sharpshooter on rock 16
    Sharn 12   *8 rds EA
    door guards 9
    droid guy 8  ------- dead
    droid 6    ----- blown to bits

T'son is up
    Daxx on deck.... let's see if he actually does something this round Razz 
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Chris wrote:
    Daxx on deck.... let's see if he actually does something this round  Razz 

keep it up man, keep it up
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:54 pm

"MOVING!" shouts T'son, crouching down in a quick sprint to the cover shown just above E&F. He ends his move on the hex that splits C&D on the bottom side of that cover. Straight down 6 hexs and turn towards the cover another 3, for a total of 9 - by my count.

When he arrives, he drops to one knee and fires a shot from the grenade launcher at the hex in direct LOS that sits right between the speeder icon and and the cover (it splits Q&R i think).

9 + 4 = 13

Damage -

3 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 1 = 19

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Chris, if you're referring to the Weird West adventure, I had no idea it was so frustrating. There was a glitch in AoO's, but that's because the author doesn't use them. He only included a few simplified options for readers. I think his style is more in the vein of AD&D. I like simplified AoO's too, but they make sense in certain contexts. Don't like to the nit-pick aspect of them, though.

But that is neither here not there, or is it? tongue 

BTW, I am greatly enjoying the models and maps. And the close attention to detail. Personally for tactical stuff, I prefer grid to hexes, but TETO.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:09 pm

So T'son moved 9 hexes, 18 meters, and shoots. Isn't that a double-move plus an attack action?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:13 pm

I thought standard movement is 30 meters?

one move action, one attack action.....O wait......I am my wires crossed with 30ft movement in DnD....standby
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:20 pm

My bad - good catch Rob, thanks

So Im still shakey on force points - can I spend one for an extra action? Or are they just buff dice?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:52 pm

You can get extra action. (Also bear in mind grenade is an indirect fire weapon isnt it?)
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:08 pm

If I can use a force point, to double move and then shoot, I will.

The weapons range isnt really an issue, just my ability to move as far as I'd like to and still take an attack. I want to spread us out a bit, get a shot off, and end under some form of cover...
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:17 pm

MAS wrote:My bad - good catch Rob, thanks
    So Im still shakey on force points - can I spend one for an extra action? Or are they just buff dice?

Rob is correct. Movement in SW is 10 meters per turn, so 5 hexes. Not 6 (30/5) like fantasy games.

Yes, per house rules, Force Points can be used like Action Points from other games, including but not limited to: extra action, extra use of a feat, etc

Alan is semi-correct also correct about a grenade being used as an indirect weapon - HOWEVER - the hex would still have concealment if you can't see it. You can throw a grenade over a barrier and in that way bypass the blocked LOS and possibly the Cover bonus, if the grenade actually clears the barrier and lands at the intended target.

Think about it this way.... there is a wall that blocks your line of sight. On the other side of the wall is a basket that with a 1m radius in an area 10mx10m. if you don't know exactly which hex the basket is in, which you don't it is just a guess, how hard would it be to throw a water balloon over the wall and make it land in the basket? It is really just luck whether you get the basket or not, since you don't know which hex holds the basket. It really isn't a matter of making the balloon land where you want, it is more about guessing the location.

It would be very conceivable that when the water balloon explodes on impact that the basket gets wet from the burst, probably a 50\50 chance, depending on burst radius to size of the area to size of the target.

That is why Concealment uses a miss % and not a flat +X to DC\reflex like cover does.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Robyo wrote:Chris, if you're referring to the Weird West adventure, I had no idea it was so frustrating. There was a glitch in AoO's, but that's because the author doesn't use them. He only included a few simplified options for readers. I think his style is more in the vein of AD&D. I like simplified AoO's too, but they make sense in certain contexts. Don't like to the nit-pick aspect of them, though.

But that is neither here not there, or is it? tongue 

BTW, I am greatly enjoying the models and maps. And the close attention to detail. Personally for tactical stuff, I prefer grid to hexes, but TETO.

I am glad you are enjoying the maps and models, thanks!!

I was actually referring to the fight at the ranch, not the AoO, as that was confusion due to map scale, token identification and length of encounter. But it is all good, we got through it and had fun!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Tson will have LOS on the target hex from his originally stated endpoint.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:28 pm

MAS wrote:"MOVING!" shouts T'son, crouching down in a quick sprint to the cover shown just above E&F. He ends his move on the hex that splits C&D on the bottom side of that cover. Straight down 6 hexs and turn towards the cover another 3, for a total of 9 - by my count.

When he arrives, he drops to one knee and fires a shot from the grenade launcher at the hex in direct LOS that sits right between the speeder icon and and the cover (it splits Q&R i think).

9 + 4 = 13

Damage -

3 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 1 = 19

Is this position correct? let me know if not and I can adjust

Fighting for FLAK - combat only Fighti21

T'son moves out, hustling and staying low across the field of fire. As he rounds the corner of the southern most E\F bush.

In the dramatic flow of combat, T'son sees the Garindan riding the speeder bike and coming around the corner of the fallen tree. T'son lets fly a grenade which explodes under the speeder. The Scout manages to stay on his speeder (pilot check), though the bike and rider each take some frag damage.

Daxx is up

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am