Robyo
ubertruder
9 posters

OoG during Pirates

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue19/19OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue1/0OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty Re: OoG during Pirates

Post  whit10 Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:34 pm

and I thank you for that. lol... the once a day thing gets a bit tedious after a while (so does the annoying requirements for Arcane Trickster... I really wanted Spider Climb this level but he can't take it... the rules for that are really poorly written IMHO, but so it goes)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue35/35OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue0/0OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:04 pm

sorry for the delay, I was a little busy this weekend dealing with the blizzard lol!

garage slid from the extra weight

OoG during Pirates - Page 8 20190310

snow in the backyard got so high, the dogs were just walking over the fence

OoG during Pirates - Page 8 20190313

backyard, I had to redneck up the fence to stop the dogs from walking over it

OoG during Pirates - Page 8 20190311
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue19/19OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue1/0OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:05 pm

you need a back-hoe
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue35/35OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue0/0OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:07 pm

I got skillz, mad skillz

OoG during Pirates - Page 8 20190314

only took about an hour or two
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue60/112OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Damn! Easy to forget the sheer volume of snow the 'boat gets. Still a better winter than WI/IL...
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Joe, Alan and Mike all volunteered to take a turn at the helm

bounce who is up first?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue60/112OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Chris wrote:Joe, Alan and Mike all volunteered to take a turn at the helm

bounce    who is up first?

I don't think anyone actually planned anything, speaking for myself, I wasn't sure when you were intending to switch.

I'd like to let the "new guys" take a shot if they want it, but can run a few encounters if needed
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue30/30OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:43 pm

I’ll claim the on deck circle. Happy to take my turn but it will be a bit to put something together
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue86/98OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue11/11OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:43 pm

I'm happy to try something, but I'll need a day or two to prepare something. Group vote from the crew on what sort of thing they'd like to do so I can start the gears turning.
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue86/98OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue11/11OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:45 pm

I'll rock/scissors/paper with Mike to sort out the next phase.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:19 pm

Sam is fine with most endeavors...

although something involving a city could be interesting.... (at least for Sam)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Matt - where did you post that map you made for the region?

some current story hooks so far....

search for Frostheim, ancestral home of Capt Gundren  
    search for sunken treasure of Frostheim, plundered by Rogan and lost at sea
    go to dwarven Calliphate to look for clues as to location of Frostheim

other stuff from character backgrounds

I am fine with anything as a player
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:28 pm

I need to express this somewhere... we got our continuance today for my gang case. Freakin' hallelujah!! (though the client is probably fucked, maybe...)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:35 pm

whit10 wrote:I need to express this somewhere... we got our continuance today for my gang case.  Freakin' hallelujah!! (though the client is probably fucked, maybe...)

awesome news! cheers
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:20 pm

Chris wrote:
    whit10 wrote:I need to express this somewhere... we got our continuance today for my gang case.  Freakin' hallelujah!! (though the client is probably fucked, maybe...)

awesome news!  cheers

Good stuff!
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:55 pm

The crew finds themselves back to their ship. Having divided their loot, a meal is served in the mess. The bounty of Amona Anha sustains them, along with any other provisions they wish to prepare for their victory feast. During the meal and between flagons of ale, Sjon opens the book he claimed. When it was discovered he explained that it was written in Druidic, an ancient language nearly lost to the world. He turns the pages slowly at first, having to spend time to reacquaint himself with the forgotten symbols. As the feast continues, he begins to feverishly flip back and forth from beginning to end as if searching for the conclusion of a story being told. He waits for a moment where he can excuse himself without notice, and disappears from the merriment.

What of the rest of yas? I will post a new thread once the crew has decided its next move.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 pm

Sam is juggling gemstones and watching Sjon read.... "any good bawdy tales in there, mate?"
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue68/68OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:40 pm

There is a thread for discussion of our next target. It’s called Next Target. Inventive, huh?
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue30/30OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Crispy is unusually quiet and pensive. His exchange with Charr, and the boon it produced, has left him deep in contemplation. He will take up his usual position on the foredeck and accept whatever course the crew charts.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 pm

Kruhl savors the long-dreamed of moment: freedom.

Kruhl tastes each item with enthusiasm. Salted pork, pickled fish, sugar, bread, nuts... so many textures, flavors!

Having lived in near isolation for years, he his enamored with his new friends. He raises many toasts to his liberators, the open sea, the island goddess, good food, good ale... too many toasts.

Kruhl has lost his sea legs and his stomach for ale. The bobbing of the ship and the booze takes its toll. His insides flip upside down and flail about like a tortoise in the sun. He starts sweating uncomfortably. His head spirals into anti-social paranoia. "The captain doesn't like me, he thinks me a murderer. The 2 elves are clearly spies of Ikkinid, clever to use a half-breed to dissuade suspicions. The reptilians will eat me in my sleep, they have a predatory look in their slanted eyes..."

Happy commraderie twists their smiles into leering mockery. Kruhl's heart beats faster as his booze-soaked mind betrays logic. Did the Ikkinids send this crew to rescue him? False hope, a taste of escape... it would crush the spirit to learn it was a betrayal. Is the captain going for his blade?!?

Kruhl quickly stands and makes a feeble excuse, " I... need some air." He stumbles up to deck. The cold night helps calm his anxiety. He stares out across the sea. It is peaceful at first. His eyes search for a reference point, but there is no horizon in the dark, no land to settle his vision. Bile mixed with ale rises to his mouth. His stomach protests the bloated feeling until he purges over the side.

He flops to the deck, exhausted. He tries to enjoy his first view of the stars, but they pinwheel above him. Closing his eyes is worse, the spins take hold again. He tries to stand and make for the railing, but manages only to find his knees before his guts punch again, an uppercut from the inside.

Kruhl passes out on the cold wooden planks, drenched in sweat and vomit.
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:11 pm

@Alan: Good point. I'll move everything story relevant in a bit.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue68/68OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:18 pm

There’s a map in the Next Target thread as well...

Hawkes cannot trade with Elves and The Caliphate will likely sell him to the highest bidder. “We can trade with Dwarves or pirates. Either will be shrewd. What says the crew?”

Having removed every last vestige of the ships name in ceremonious silence and purged its logs to only his memory, Hawkes needs to make a port where he can name her. “Now you may debate the naming of the ship, Sam.”
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Chris stated that the area was similar in scale to the Caribean - so I sized this as closely as possible. Each hex is approx 25 miles across.

See this link for travel times/speeds under sail. We should be able to get to most locations in 2-5 days. Additional research suggests that 120 miles in a day is a realistic average under sail.

On the drill-down:

"Port Claw" is where we started and is labeled in "red" as "hostile".
    "Amon Anha" is where we are and is labeled in "green" as  "friendly".
    "Ikkinid Empire" is shaded in red as "hostile"
    "Sultanate" is shaded in red as "hostile".
    "Azteca" is shaded in yellow as "caution" because we are pirates/outlaws.

The crew's path so far is notated with a blue path.

On the regional map (click on the map to open in full size):

Mint green = Insect people
    Purple = Dwarven homeland
    Orange = Orc tribes and assorted goblinoids

OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Pirate10
    OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Pirate13
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Josef909 wrote:The crew finds themselves back to their ship.  Having divided their loot, a meal is served in the mess.  The bounty of Amona Anha sustains them, along with any other provisions they wish to prepare for their victory feast.  During the meal and between flagons of ale, Sjon opens the book he claimed.  When it was discovered he explained that it was written in Druidic, an ancient language nearly lost to the world.  He turns the pages slowly at first, having to spend time to reacquaint himself with the forgotten symbols.  As the feast continues, he begins to feverishly flip back and forth from beginning to end as if searching for the conclusion of a story being told.  He waits for a moment where he can excuse himself without notice, and disappears from the merriment.

Abigail is intrigued by Sjon's behavior. "Maybe someone should take a look at that book?"
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:07 pm

Great map work, Matt!

My only note would be a reference to the end of "Revenge is a dish best served with cold cuts", Hawkes and Bahar came to an understanding as businessmen. Hawkes paid Bahar an extra 50gp as a retainer fee, which "Bah" used to buy the Siren's Call for his tiefling lover Shanti. Bahar was allowed to keep his gold as well.

Port Claw is at least yellow, with the possibility of green, depending on futute negotiations
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Joe, everything ok?
    Haven't seen a post in over a week
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Yep. Just waiting for the crew to make their decision and letting all the RP happen that everyone wants.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:23 pm

Lol, ok

I think we were just RPing while waiting for the GM - Sjon said he needed time to finish reading the book.
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:49 pm

Yeah, that was my way of removing Sjon from the action until GM rotates again. I should've been more clear.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Oh, I thought he was the quest-giver to go visit the seer. My bad, I assumed we were already heading SW and just killing time
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:55 pm

As Josh knows, Wish you were here is one of my favorite songs. I was driving along listening to it on the radio today and it dawned on me that it would make a really good country song - fiddle instead of violin, slow it down, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0A_UNlqU-8
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:47 pm

there's such a thing as a good country song? who knew...
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:55 pm

whit10 wrote:there's such a thing as a good country song? who knew...

Rodney Carrington's cover of "Gin and Juice" also qualifies

and is better than the original by Snoop

and of course JC's theme song, "I ain't as good as I once was" by Toby Keith
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:26 pm

Big fan of Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:46 am

I am sure everyone saw the Rise trailer, which wasn't the best trailer shown at the convention, imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOqyaFTR1cA

now this looks good!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:39 pm

agreed!

I'll give Abrams the benefit of the doubt on Episode 9; the interview I watched with him this morning give me hope that it will be better than the train-wreck that was Last Jedi (except for the parts with Luke and Yoda)
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:21 pm

Question for mapping encounters. What is the best height:width ratio for forum use. I have my map split in half and want to post them consecutively to display them seamlessly, as suggested.

Also, is there an easy way to drop in the first column and top row for grid marking? I drew in a table for the top and manually spaced my numbers, but the first column was a pain in the dick to get the lettering to line up to the grid. Any pointers?

I think I can manage the mapping after all.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:47 pm

I just fill the slide on power point, that seems to fit the forum

Column does suck balls!

I have 1 master map with rows and columns pre-labelled. I just drop maps/photos onto it for precisely that reason. It does result in maps being a bit off sometimes, as you saw with my encounters or needing to add a grid
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:50 pm

Hmm. Maybe a little more tinkering then.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:58 am

Josef909 wrote:Question for mapping encounters.  What is the best height:width ratio for forum use.  I have my map split in half and want to post them consecutively to display them seamlessly, as suggested.

Also, is there an easy way to drop in the first column and top row for grid marking?  I drew in a table for the top and manually spaced my numbers, but the first column was a pain in the dick to get the lettering to line up to the grid.  Any pointers?  

I think I can manage the mapping after all.  

IIRC - I usually resize to 800 width, which you can choose on the forum picture insertion tool.

I also use one single master Powerpoint slide. All the icons are just pictures dropped in and re-sized, which in a raw PP file you can move at will. From there, you export it as jpg or png.

Grid numbering is just a bitch. I've been tinkering for years and have not found a good way to do it, no way to make it easy.

We could do a google hangout sometime and I'd be happy to walk everyone through my mapmaking process - or maybe I'll make a tutorial video.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:38 pm

@GM Joe

I know spells have a verbal and somatic component.  But how obvious or video-gamey do you see spellcasting?

for example....

Could Kruhl mutter the words under his breath and do slight hand movements while casting Shield of Faith (bonus action)?

or

does a glowing shield appear over his head, like a visual effect in a video game?

the latter would clearly ruin his "wounded bird" ruse lol!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:48 pm

Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:21 pm

@Chris: the spell specifically states there is a visual effect, but is it bright and obvious? Probably not.
    With a decent sleight of hand check, you could cast a spell with verbal and somatic components unnoticed.

A shimmering field appears and surrounds a creature of your choice within range, granting it a +2 bonus to AC for the duration.

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:01 pm

read the spell description? what? WHAT!?

ok, that answers that, lol
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu May 02, 2019 3:30 pm

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon May 20, 2019 12:56 pm

When my lease is up at the end of the month I am moving into my minivan and going indefinitely on the road. I sold the rights to my rod designs, and have deals with former competitors to rep their products. I'll be rolling 2 youtube channels and doing content/affiliate marketing for fishing and outdoor/adventure/van-life gear.

Van Systems include:
    2x 100w solar panels, roof mounted
    1x Lithium battery bank
    Low voltage 54-quart fridge/freezer
    USB powered lights and fans
    Can run life support (fridge and fans) for almost 3 days straight without recharging the battery bank
    30 x 74 x 6 inches deep foam mattress and 14-inch high frame for comfort and under bed storage.

The seating is all "stow and go" and nests in the floor, so easy to drop out of the way. Going to drop a 4x8 plywood in for a false floor so I can bolt key components down and protect the interior. No plans to do any permanent changes/build at this point.

Have a loose schedule down, will be all over the country for the next 4 months. In and out of Colorado quite a bit. Will post up a timeline soon in hopes of better coordinating visits.

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon May 20, 2019 1:01 pm

cheers that sounds like a grand adventure!

definitely feel free to stop by the 'Boat for a visit. We will have a 4th bedroom for guests after my folks leave in mid\late June.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon May 20, 2019 1:49 pm

Chris wrote:cheers  that sounds like a grand adventure!

definitely feel free to stop by the 'Boat for a visit.  We will have a 4th bedroom for guests after my folks leave in mid\late June.

Thanks for the invite, look forward to it! How does the weekend of 20-21 July sound?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon May 20, 2019 2:06 pm

MAS wrote:

Thanks for the invite, look forward to it! How does the weekend of 20-21 July sound?

sounds good, I have a 3-day trial from 7/15 to 7/17 (mon-wed) so I should be ready for some fun and downtime

OoG during Pirates - Page 8 Tumblr10
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon May 20, 2019 2:18 pm

Lol! Penciled in. Wandering weirdo in-bound, ha!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content