Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

5 posters

Radiance Q&A

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Radiance Q&A Left_bar_bleue35/35Radiance Q&A Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Radiance Q&A Left_bar_bleue0/0Radiance Q&A Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Radiance Q&A Empty Radiance Q&A

Post  Chris Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:38 am

I figure rules stuff will come up and we can keep it out of the story thread this way.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Radiance Q&A Empty Re: Radiance Q&A

Post  Chris Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:49 am

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly.....

ANY attack roll - melee, ranged, firearms, spell, racial, theme.... all use your prime attribute?

Now for multiclass it says to use 2 prime attributes, whichever one corresponds to the ability used. So a fighter\mage would use Str for his wpn attacks and Int for his spells, which seems logical.

But which would he use for Racial abilities (like a breath wpn, for example) or a Theme ability (Commando - shocking grasp)? whichever you want? whichever is higher?

What about something that is covered by both classes? For instance anyone could take Firearms Prof. with their initial class wpn groups and use firearms at 1st lvl with their prime attribute (say CHA for a Pally). Then if they take GS at 2nd, would they then make firearms attacks with Dex now instead of CHA?

Which could mean they actually get worse at using Firearms after adding GS class. (if their Dex is lower than their CHA)
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Chris wrote:I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly.....

ANY attack roll - melee, ranged, firearms, spell, racial, theme.... all use your prime attribute?

Now for multiclass it says to use 2 prime attributes, whichever one corresponds to the ability used. So a fighter\mage would use Str for his wpn attacks and Int for his spells, which seems logical.

But which would he use for Racial abilities (like a breath wpn, for example) or a Theme ability (Commando - shocking grasp)? whichever you want? whichever is higher?

What about something that is covered by both classes? For instance anyone could take Firearms Prof. with their initial class wpn groups and use firearms at 1st lvl with their prime attribute (say CHA for a Pally). Then if they take GS at 2nd, would they then make firearms attacks with Dex now instead of CHA?

Which could mean they actually get worse at using Firearms after adding GS class. (if their Dex is lower than their CHA)

~Yes, attack roll is prime attribute. A pally (Chr based) would use his charisma attribute to make attacks with firearms. He doesn't really get any special abilities with guns (except perhaps as a theme), until he multiclass's with gunslinger class. When using gunslinger (Dex based) abilities, he rolls Dex for attack, and of course armor penalties also apply. Armor penalties to other dex-based skills still do apply too (ride/pilot) for the pally.

...TBH, it would be interesting to see how a power-gamed pally/gunslinger would play out at higher levels. It's true that prime attribute as attack roll is different, if not quirky.

~Attribute for racial abilities: depends... Not sure exactly, and let me get back on that... I see breath weapon for Sorcerer class (Con based), but what race are you talking about that has breath weapon? As for shocking grasp of the Commando theme, I don't have an answer for you yet... though I doubt I will allow that theme anyways. Maybe the magic version, but not electrotech.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:22 pm

I guess it is just a balance issue within the rules. It just really strikes me as ludicrous.... lets say my Pally has an 18 CHA and 14 Dex. At 1st level his prime attack with anything (inc. firearms) is +4 w\o modifiers. So now at 2nd lvl, his attack with a Firearm (now using dex) would drop to +2 AFTER he spends 1d4 years training to get worse at using a gun than he was before?? Suspect

And what Armor check are you talking about? A Pally gets all armor prof, so he shouldn't have any penalty for wearing hvy armor and using a firearm he was already prof. with. I didn't see anything about armor affecting Dex, only the -5 for non-prof. penalty. maybe I haven't read it yet.....

My questions about racial and theme abilities are just questions. I don't really have anything specific in mind, I am just trying to understand the rules. A Drake has a Dragon Breath wpn.

Back to initial quesiton though about multi-classing..... how do you figure out which Prime attribute to use if you are using abilities from both classes?

To me (story aside) the point of multiclassing is finding and using unique combinations between the 2 classes.

Let's assume I am 3rd lvl and I take Holy Smite from Pally and Firearms Focus from GS. (+1 holy damage\lvl vs Evil foe.) So assume I am Pally\GS multi class and I shoot my firearm at an Evil monster, using my Firearms Focus (which you would always use!) to get my +1\+2 I would have to attack with Dex, but to use Holy Smite I would attack with CHA.

So which would I use?

Let alone down the road where a multiclass might be combining 2-3 abilities from each class.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Honestly, Pally and GS don't have many combat overlaps, since Pal is melee and GS is ranged.

But consider a Mageblade\GS!

You could make an attack with a firearm like:

GS - Firearm Focus +1\+2
    GS - Deadly shot +10 dam
    GS - Deadeye, extended range
    GS - Rapid Shot

MB - arcane strike +1\+2
    MB - True strike +10 attack
    MB - improved crit
    MB - Burst wpn

which prime Dex or Int would you use?

OR a Pal\Fighter - they both focus on melee abilities

I was more looking to compliment GS combat ability with support of Pal, but it raised the question in my mind
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:02 am

...I appreciate your questions, as I want to understand the rules as well!

~As for the Commando theme Shocking Grasp ability, it would be whatever your class prime is. Page 8 of RPG says, "You use the same attack roll for all attacks that you make." (Unless otherwise specified)... So, a multiclass character with Commando theme using Shocking Grasp would use whatever class prime attribute is highest.

~Paladin (proficient with firearms) vs Gunslinger: I think a Pally is still weaker than GS when using ranged weapons because the GS gets (at Basic Tier) abilities like Deadeye, Deadly Shot, Rapid Fire, Rabid Reload, etc... These are unavailable to Paladin, who seems geared more for melee combat, with core ability Holy Weapon.

As you put it Chris, a Pally with a 18 CHA and 14 DEX probably wouldn't make a good Gunslinger mix. He could use Firearms at +4 (+ 1/2 level) for normal attacks (still using CHA), but for any Gunslinger abilities (Deadeye/etc.) he would need to use DEX.

~As for Mageblade/Gunslinger: Many abilities do overlap, or appear similar to one another. That's a balance issue, I suppose. Also, because feats/skills/spells are all built into classes, there will be some repeats.

The Mageblade/Gunslinger combo seems to be quite deadly, however!

Again, just defer to the prime attribute of the class for whatever ability you're using on your attack roll, either DEX or INT.

~What's the best race for Gunslinger? Interestingly, Kobolds get a +4 to DEX. They also get +2 to Reflex (which stacks with bonus +2 of Gunslinger class). But, Kobolds are also quite squishy with only 3 Wound Points...

~Armor penalties: Besides the -5 penalty for non-proficient (which isn't a problem for Paladin) there's also Impairment. Page 154 of RPG states: "Medium armor inflicts a -2 penalty on all DEX-based skill checks while Heavy armor inflicts a -5 penalty. Nothing counters this penalty."

~Breath Weapon: Drack race uses CON when resolving attacks with Dragon Breath ability.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:26 am

Power gaming is fun, but I don't know if it's the only point of playing a role-playing game. It's interesting to find powerful combos and optimize, but is it the only purpose of playing?
    I have to ask, because everyone has their own reasons for playing...

(from the Radiance Masters Guide)
    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:27 am

thanks for a good conversation!

Robyo wrote:

~Paladin (proficient with firearms) vs Gunslinger: I think a Pally is still weaker than GS when using ranged weapons because the GS gets (at Basic Tier) abilities like Deadeye, Deadly Shot, Rapid Fire, Rabid Reload, etc... These are unavailable to Paladin, who seems geared more for melee combat, with core ability Holy Weapon.

As you put it Chris, a Pally with a 18 CHA and 14 DEX probably wouldn't make a good Gunslinger mix. He could use Firearms at +4 (+ 1/2 level) for normal attacks (still using CHA), but for any Gunslinger abilities (Deadeye/etc.) he would need to use DEX.

~

I agree 100%. I wanted to play a Pal for the Marshall-protector concept, but as you say Pal's abilities are 99% melee and that is kind of worthless in a WW game. So that is why I started looking at GS to give him firearms abilities. I think his combat would come from GS and all his healing\support\non-combat would come from GS.

So probably he would have more like an 18 dex and 14 cha, since he won't use CHA for any attack rolls (unless he goes melee and uses a Pal ability. The abilities I like from Pal - LoH, immunities, cures, morale boosters, etc - non of which require a CHA roll.

Robyo wrote:Power gaming is fun, but I don't know if it's the only point of playing a role-playing game. It's interesting to find powerful combos and optimize, but is it the only purpose of playing?
    I have to ask, because everyone has their own reasons for playing...
    (from the Radiance Masters Guide)

Again, this wasn't about powergaming at all. Look at my Sci-fi campaign, it is 90% story driven, with very little power-gaming or even combat. I did say I like finding unique combos for multiclassing, which I think is the point of multiclassing. Just talking about story, you can make a single class character and play him in the same flavor as a multiclass. For story purposes, which just to be clear, always are more important and come first for me, there is no need to even use multiclass rules. Especially with Radiance having Themes.

My lawman concept would play out the same as a Protector-Pal, a Prot-GS, a Hunter-Pal, a Hunter-GS, a Prot-Pal\Gs, a Prot MB\GS, etc etc etc. It just opens up different combat combos and some non-combat abilities. But the roleplaying aspect, espeically as Matt said 'at our age', is the most fun for me.

I hope that helps clarify

Robyo wrote:...I appreciate your questions, as I want to understand the rules as well!

Again, just defer to the prime attribute of the class for whatever ability you're using on your attack roll, either DEX or INT.

I appreciate your answers, but you still haven't answered the basic question - if a multiclass character uses abilities from BOTH classes in the same attack - which prime do you use?
    (that was the point of the 2 examples - not to compare them - to show a Pal\GS attack with 1 ability each and a MB\GS attack with 4 abilites each class)
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Well, I guess I've been reading these threads and answering questions out of order, but I'll try to address stuff...

~Multiclass: characters would effectively have "two primes." They use the prime of the class of the ability they want to use. In any case, where it's not specific, or the same ability is in in either class or both a class and race, or some other reason, use whatever score is highest.

~I agree finding combos is fun. I'm interested to see how it all plays out over the 20 trying-to-be-balanced levels. As long as everyone is playing on their tier, it should still flow at a reasonable rate.

I think the most obvious difference from 3.x is that spell-casters are fairly equal with the martial classes. That means the wizards got nerfed a bit and fighters have a lot of more options (Holy Blast for a typical fighter is great).

Compared to 4e, it's more streamlined and I don't have to rely on the buggy online character builder. There's nothing like being able to build a character with paper and pencil and some dice...

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Robyo wrote:Well, I guess I've been reading these threads and answering questions out of order, but I'll try to address stuff...

That's it - you're fired! lol!

Robyo wrote:
    ~Multiclass: characters would effectively have "two primes." They use the prime of the class of the ability they want to use. In any case, where it's not specific, or the same ability is in in either class or both a class and race, or some other reason, use whatever score is highest.

ok, perfect, I just wanted a ruling before we actually get going, thanks
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:38 pm

ok, so I msut be missing something with skills.....

I don't see class skills listed under class or skill points

I read pg 102+ on skills and it doesn't say anything about skill points or which classes can use which skills.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Hehe. Skills are built into class and race abilities. Surely you saw some that granted +5 to certain checks? That's right, feats, spells, and skills are all built into abilities. Other than that, everyone can use any skill "untrained," I believe...
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Robyo wrote: Other than that, everyone can use any skill "untrained," I believe...

I did see the skill bonuses +5 or +10 usually, but if everyone has access to ALL skills, then there really isn't a class skill anymore or a trained\untrained. That actually really simplifies things!

interesting.....
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Radiance Q&A Left_bar_bleue60/112Radiance Q&A Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:45 am

Looks like the earliest one can multiclass (excluding use of the Dilettante's minor them award) is 3rd level...

"If the GM allows, any time after 2nd level, a character can immerse
    himself in a second class."

Can we start out at 3rd level?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:45 pm

MAS wrote:Looks like the earliest one can multiclass (excluding use of the Dilettante's minor them award) is 3rd level...

"If the GM allows, any time after 2nd level, a character can immerse
    himself in a second class."

Can we start out at 3rd level?

What if we just don't use multiclassing?

I luv me a good #crunch, but maybe we should just go single class our first time with the system. Especially since everyone has access to all skills, multiclassing seems like it just adds combat punch to any class.

I like both my multi options, but we do get racial and theme abilities too

just thinking out loud.....
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:20 pm

I am ok with that.

My initial thought is that I will land on the "Pathfinder" class with "Specialist" theme...not solid yet though.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:34 pm

MAS wrote:I am ok with that.

My initial thought is that I will land on the "Pathfinder" class with "Specialist" theme...not solid yet though.

is this still the James Bond of the West concept?

would that be 00-7 as in "double 'ought 7"
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:10 pm

LOL - nice

Yeah, I am thinking a spy/investigator/troubleshooter/......still looking at the best way to build the idea.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Your concept sounds good, Matt. You realize the Pathfinder class is Indiana Jones? Smile

Multiclassing: somehow I took it to mean one could begin multiclassing at 2nd level. Hmmm... It does make sense however, that a character should earn at least a few Basic Tier abilities from their primary class before moving to something else...

So yeah, everyone begins at 3rd level. And using just a single class is way cool too. With so many abilities to pick from: race, class, theme, and the occasional boon, there's plenty to keep one's character busy.

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Yup - Pathfinder class is an awesome "generalist", just like Indy!

3rd level it is!!! ITS ON!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:56 pm

ok, so 3rd lvl and multiclassing is still an option?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:24 pm

Chris wrote:ok, so 3rd lvl and multiclassing is still an option?

affirmative study
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Radiance Q&A Left_bar_bleue68/68Radiance Q&A Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Jp- "Aah whapp boogaaaaers ahn yer puny thaird layvahl weemps. Aah weel bee ahn eequeepmahnt ahpaerateur ahnd adapteebel."

Me- ok jp. Guys, he is trying to tell you that he is evolving into a survivalist/equipment operator. If we come across gear he will learn it; or if the mad scientist makes something that requires a second pair if hands to operate...

can i have a gatling gun? Or a small cannon?

How do we adjudicate a 3rd level characters equipment.

Am i to understand there will be NO electrotech? I would have jp proficient with it if he has ever seen any. That can develop later i suppose. sunny
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:02 pm

navyik wrote:Jp- "Aah whapp boogaaaaers ahn yer puny thaird layvahl weemps. Aah weel bee ahn eequeepmahnt ahpaerateur ahnd adapteebel."

Me- ok jp. Guys, he is trying to tell you that he is evolving into a survivalist/equipment operator. If we come across gear he will learn it; or if the mad scientist makes something that requires a second pair if hands to operate...

can i have a gatling gun? Or a small cannon?

How do we adjudicate a 3rd level characters equipment.

Am i to understand there will be NO electrotech? I would have jp proficient with it if he has ever seen any. That can develop later i suppose. sunny

No one starts with electrotech... It will be introduced eventually, but the West of 1880's is on the cusp of that... In this particular world/timeline, the battery hasn't been invented yet. There is a theory of electricity and some experiments going on, but storage hasn't been figured out yet. Liquid metal batteries are ideal for electrotech.

Now, for PC's who come from other planes, the technology level is typically much lower than Aerth. That is not to say they don't have airships and railcars on other planes, only that they are typically powered by runes or magic.

Gatling Gun? Really? I'm not totally opposed, but I wonder what a survivalist/operator would need one for? Hunting? Either way, I plan on adding more "western period" weapons and equipment to the ones presented in Radiance. I guess I'll post that here, when I have time...

Alan, have you checked out the Player Info thread? Some of your eq/wealth questions are addressed there... Also, there is a table in the equipment section of the rulebook for starting money at various levels.

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Yeah. I found the table for wealth. Of course gatling gun! pirat gota have a gunner for our derigible... just thinking ahead... i envision him driving a covered wagon "wid ah littayle serproz in zee bahk." I guess this guy is a fringer (from starwars d20).

How do bonuses stack?

Do the abilities that are forfeit to multiclassing get skipped.entirely or just delayed to the next.level? scratch
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Bonuses stack... but I guess it depends on the circumstance?

Multiclass: ignore the abilities you would normally get at that level and take the 2nd class abilities (3 core and 1 basic, I think it is) instead. Next level up is normal, but you pick from either class.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:24 pm

I interpret that they are skipped then... i should have enough info to make a rough character now. Thanks.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:38 pm

navyik wrote:
    How do bonuses stack?

Do the abilities that are forfeit to multiclassing get skipped.entirely or just delayed to the next.level? scratch

from everything I have read, this is the opposite of 3.5 = everything stacks

There is a short paragraph explaining the balance of each level. Each level is essentially worth 5 pts of character development, so instead of getting 4 basic abilities + 1 theme (for example) you get 3 core + 1 basic + either all the new wpn prof. OR armor prof - so that is your 5pts for that level.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:46 am

Just to clarify - I think Rob answered this somewhere but cannot find it. We are using the following method to determine attributes?

"Method 2: Start with a score of 8 in each attribute and a pool
    of 30 points to spend to boost attributes on a point for point basis.
    You are limited a score of to 18. For example, improving a score of 8
    to 13 costs 5 points (13 - 8 = 5)."
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Yes matt. study
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:06 pm

MAS wrote:Just to clarify - I think Rob answered this somewhere but cannot find it. We are using the following method to determine attributes?

"Method 2: Start with a score of 8 in each attribute and a pool
    of 30 points to spend to boost attributes on a point for point basis.
    You are limited a score of to 18. For example, improving a score of 8
    to 13 costs 5 points (13 - 8 = 5)."

you are limited to 18, but racial adjustments can push beyond to 20 or more!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:38 pm

Can i have a "hand canon"? Jp will name her fifi. Its in the warmachine section. I also want dynamite... bom Twisted Evil
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:45 pm

navyik wrote:Can i have a "hand canon"? Jp will name her fifi. Its in the warmachine section. I also want dynamite... bom Twisted Evil

sounds like a french version of Jesse Ventura's character from Predator with the mini-gun

ranger\gunslinger - nice combo!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:35 pm

"Painless..." Cool
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 am

navyik wrote:Can i have a "hand canon"? Jp will name her fifi. Its in the warmachine section. I also want dynamite... bom Twisted Evil

Hand canon is fine. TNT is fine. Gatling gun is allowed...

I'll be making some major updates soon, including extra weapons and equipment that is permitted...

However, one thing to keep in mind: this version of the Wild West era has severe gun laws in most towns. Firearm registration is usually mandatory in most counties and having an unregistered weapon (especially in a crime) is an automatic 3-5 years!

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:27 am

Robyo wrote:

However, one thing to keep in mind: this version of the Wild West era has severe gun laws in most towns. Firearm registration is usually mandatory in most counties and having an unregistered weapon (especially in a crime) is an automatic 3-5 years!

DAMN LIBERALS!
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Chris wrote:
    Robyo wrote:

DAMN LIBERALS!

Tyranny of the Union
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Robyo wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    Robyo wrote:

DAMN LIBERALS!

Tyranny of the Union

interesting....

Enforcement of those laws must be a bitch. The West grew so FAST after the war, new towns springing up everywhere, huge numbers of people moving west. Lawmen were scarce as it was in the real US history, let alone trying to enforce gun laws....

Makes me think of the movie Tombstone - how do 1-2 lawmen disarm a band of 10-20 who are all armed?

.... sounds like there might be an opening for a lawman in a town that needs order. Especially for someone that doesn't like guns, say for instance a sword-wielding fella from another land, that isn't afraid to stand up to bad guys, just because they have guns.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:37 pm

Well thats a serious complication, and a major change to the genre in general.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:45 pm

MAS wrote:Well thats a serious complication, and a major change to the genre in general.

and ask the guy with the History Master's Degree, Josh... but most of the West wasn't even States in the Union. I can see those laws, maybe, back East. But the West was just Territories with little to no law of any kind, let alone anyone to enforce them.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:44 am

Chris wrote:.... sounds like there might be an opening for a lawman in a town that needs order. Especially for someone that doesn't like guns, say for instance a sword-wielding fella from another land, that isn't afraid to stand up to bad guys, just because they have guns.

Exactly. A lawman who can shrug off baddies with guns would be high demand.

Remember, these laws are in effect in TOWNS, of both states and territories. They don't much impact on ranchers and cowboys out on the trail...
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:50 am

MAS wrote:Well thats a serious complication, and a major change to the genre in general.

As if a rifts opening during the civil war isn't a major change? How do countries normally react to invasion from other dimensions? "Oh,it's a bugbear with a hand cannon, well nevermind."

Please keep in mind that everything that came after the rifts, both as a result of extradimensional beings interfering with politics, and others invading Aerth, resulted in martial-law and gun restrictions.

Now these laws are most harsh in the South (and the Northeastern cities, where guns are not too common), but the Western territories are a little more "free."
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:15 am

All I am stating is that heavily restricting firearms, and their ubiquitous presence and use,is a major shift away from the known "feel/look" of the western genre. The appearance of "rifts" is certainly a change in history and reality, and I can see where there could be strict gun control in some of the "civilized" portions of the country East of the Mississippi. I am willing to accept a level of "suspension of disbelief"; it is after all, a game and a work of fiction. But you'll have to grant your players a little to time to adjust to the change. Speaking for only myself, I can say that your guidance on how firearms are being treated in the setting has significantly altered my vision of the word, and of what kind of skills/abilities may be best suited. That all being said, I am still excited to play regardless of whatever adjustments the GM makes to the setting.

I can easily see how anyone rolling around the countryside with something larger than a revolver, hunting rifle, or shotgun would certainly cause a fuss, particularly a non-human. I can't see military grade support weapons being tolerated in the hands of any "civilian", excepting very, very, very special circumstances.

Just as during the "real" western expansion, I would actually think that the opposite would be true. EVERYONE in town would be well armed (not to defend against natives and bandits this time, but to defend against creatures and non-humans). Most able bodied men would be in a militia or security force that could be called up at a moments notice. Otherwise, there just isn't enough men/troops available to secure everything and still be able to harvest crops, run business', and do the things a society needs to do maintain stability.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:35 am

MAS wrote:That all being said, I am still excited to play regardless of whatever adjustments the GM makes to the setting.

I am Chris Carbone, and I approve this message king

Perhaps it would be beneficial to share an email exchange I had with Rob (hopefully he doesn't mind) a few days ago.....

I expressed a bit of frustration trying to make a Paladin (melee focused abilities) mesh with the Western genre of guns and such, trying to finish my Marshall concept. Multi-classing into GS does this, but honestly he isn't a good Paladin or a good GS, imo.

So I asked Rob if the setting was still a Weird West genre with a dash of rifts (for weirdness) or if it was now becoming a RIFT\TORG setting that just starts in the WW, based on his recent rift\history comments.

The way I read his reply supported the later - that the game would start in the WW, but that it could 'go anywhere' from there including plane-hopping.

Hopefully that helps.....
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:33 pm

"I appreciate y'all concerns regarding this here, fantasy-western brew that be simmerin' on the cooker... I declare, it sure is peculiar trying to figure a western story that ain't got the folks all done shooting up the town in a yeehaw good ol' time. I'm a just hoping y'all can bare with an old codger's tale-weaving eccentricities. At least, for a little while longer."
    -Buford McGilacutie, bartender at the Sun Dog Saloon, Pestilence, Arizona Territory.

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:41 pm

"Zeh faerste tahm ah beeg monstair jump oud dee skah too eat zeh leetail townspeepell. Zey veel begging jacque-pierre to breeng fifi to zair town to save zem!"

Me- you're probably right jp, but im sure they dont expect a fur trapper to show up in town unarmed after 6 months in the wild. They probably have a policy to allow you to store your weapons at the sherrifs office for a week or two if need be.

Jp also wants one of thise muzzel loader pistols with 4 barrells and a black powder sawed off double barrell shotgun. Ooo and a derringer...
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:45 pm

Got ya covered Buford....!
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:50 pm

MAS wrote:All I am stating is that heavily restricting firearms, and their ubiquitous presence and use,is a major shift away from the known "feel/look" of the western genre. The appearance of "rifts" is certainly a change in history and reality, and I can see where there could be strict gun control in some of the "civilized" portions of the country East of the Mississippi. I am willing to accept a level of "suspension of disbelief"; it is after all, a game and a work of fiction. But you'll have to grant your players a little to time to adjust to the change. Speaking for only myself, I can say that your guidance on how firearms are being treated in the setting has significantly altered my vision of the word, and of what kind of skills/abilities may be best suited. That all being said, I am still excited to play regardless of whatever adjustments the GM makes to the setting.

I can easily see how anyone rolling around the countryside with something larger than a revolver, hunting rifle, or shotgun would certainly cause a fuss, particularly a non-human. I can't see military grade support weapons being tolerated in the hands of any "civilian", excepting very, very, very special circumstances.

Just as during the "real" western expansion, I would actually think that the opposite would be true. EVERYONE in town would be well armed (not to defend against natives and bandits this time, but to defend against creatures and non-humans). Most able bodied men would be in a militia or security force that could be called up at a moments notice. Otherwise, there just isn't enough men/troops available to secure everything and still be able to harvest crops, run business', and do the things a society needs to do maintain stability.

I'm not seeing what the problem is. In fact I pretty much agree with all you've said. All I said was that in town, your character's will be accountable for their weapons.

How is that any different from typical D&D?

As for setting, I would say it's a mishmash of D&D and Western... Except, D&D is more expansive than western, so I would say D&D will be the overarching influence. But I do like western tropes and using a faux historical/familiar setting... I just want to see how adding cowboys and guns to D&D will float... actually, I'm foreseeing things will get quite deadly Wink

Wouldn't be a bad idea if you guys wanted to make more than one character. Just in case someone perishes, it won't derail the adventure too much... Keep a stable of PCs and you play one at a time, but they are on separate missions, or maybe just hanging out in town. Maybe the "on-call" PCs are gaining half the experience that the "active" ones get, so that they won't lag behind too much in level... Just a thought, if you feel so inclined. Heck whipping up characters with this system is pretty quick, considering.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:55 pm

No problems...just having a discussion!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:17 pm

Robyo wrote: In fact I pretty much agree with all you've said. All I said was that in town, your character's will be accountable for their weapons.

How is that any different from typical D&D?

As for setting, I would say it's a mishmash of D&D and Western... actually, I'm foreseeing things will get quite deadly Wink

I think this is a very productive discussion - so please don't take it personally that we are asking for clarification. It is not like we are playing Tolkein D&D or Star Wars or something where we all share a common visual of the world and what to expect.

I am reading your above post to mean something like - Western towns still have most folks walking around armed with guns, but all the citizens just register their guns with the sheriff. Maybe big signs on the way into town - like in Unforgiven's Big Whiskey - register all guns with the sheriff?

And reading your line about a mishmash of D&D + Western helps the visual too. I think the player group was starting from a more purely Western perspective and adding bits of "Weird-ness" as we went, whereas you have seen the full Weird-West as a Fantasy-Western genre all along.

And honestly, I would love to see a deadly game with some PC death. I have no problem rerolling as needed!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:14 pm