Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

4 posters

1: A Tangled Web

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/351: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/01: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Empty Re: 1: A Tangled Web

Post  Chris Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:02 pm

GM question about the Matrix.... so how does this work with taking something, like the data, out of the Matrix?

I saw that the corper couldn't carry it when he de-rezzed, but if you willingly jack-out can you carry it? Do you have to do something else to an object to carry it out?

I assume Nico would know the answer to this, but Chris doesn't Rolling Eyes
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/01: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:02 pm

Good question! Nico gains an Inspiration point.

As far as Nico knows: A person's cybernetic implants, high-tech gear, and clothing, all carry apps which transfer over as items inside the Matrix, at least whenever they "jack in."

It is also possible to exchange items (programs) within the matrix. It is possible to carry that new-found item with you as data when you "jack out" consciously. And some programs are special enough to not de-rezz if an avatar does. It often depends on the program's security codex.

I think we are talking about "de-rezz" as being "dumped" out of the Matrix unwillingly, i.e. killed. Once your avatar is slain, your character requires a short rest (5 minutes) before reentering. Doing so before that causes CON damage or maybe a Death save.

Beyond that, I need an Intelligence check from Nico. Just one roll, but give me two results: Arcana (Etherspace) and History (Matrix).

*And remember, Nico's Dexterity inside the Matrix is based on his Intelligence, as with any character in Avatar form. It affects his Dex-based skills too (which become Intelligence based).

Avatars are based on your character's social stats only.
    DEX = INT
    STR = WIS
    CON = CHA

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/351: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:30 am

Yes, I was using the Tron-term of de-rezz for being dumped from the Matrix when the avatar is killed. The rest of it makes sense.

Thanks for the Inspiration, that made me read something new in the 5e book cheers

Nico will use his Inspiration for his Matrix knowledge roll, since he has neither skill, its just INT

Result of the throw of dice "1d20" :

thank goodness for Advantage

+2 INT = 18
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:36 pm

Okay, if that all sounds cool, then I we may have to ret-con your Stealth check. I'm only calculating a bonus of +6. It's still a good roll!

Nico recalls learning a few facts regarding the physics of etherspace, perhaps while watching a NOVA holocom one drunken evening:

Etherscope is built inside the ethereal plane, a separate dimension from what is known as Prime Reality. It was (officially) discovered in the late 1800's quite by accident, by a scientist who was experimenting with huge magnets. He had unseeingly opened a portal into etherspace.

Luckily, his accident hadn't remained opened long, or there could have been dire consequences. Raw ether contains a significant entropic quality. A small amount of ether introduced into prime reality can cause an entropic rift. It's corrosive nature upon matter long made the idea of human colonization of the realm seem impossible.

However, a material called etherion was invented, which is equal parts matter and ether. This material (and it's availability) allows mortals to withstand the harsh conditions inside etherspace. The two discoveries of etherspace portals (which accelerated engines for use in space travel), and the synthesized material of etherion have had significant impact on the evolution of humanity.

The Matrix is a storehouse of data inside Etherscope. While the data is instantly accessible anywhere in prime reality, and is easily accessed via holo-screen; for the Matrix to be sensually experienced, the user needs to jack in using hardware. Most recently in the black market, drugs have become available that allow users to tab in without any need of cybernetic implants.

The avatars that users create inside the matrix allow them access to the infinite possibility of VR programming. Avatars are projections, but not purely made of light particles. They do have some mass, and are a subtle mixture of light particles, matter, and ether.

It's been proposed that a more fluid form of etherion was possible. In theory, it could travel back and forth between the Matrix and Prime Reality, without the need of gigantic portal magnets, or the harmful possibility of entropic rifts.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Robyo wrote:Okay, if that all sounds cool, then I we may have to ret-con your Stealth check. I'm only calculating a bonus of +6. It's still a good roll!

Nico recalls learning a few facts regarding the physics of etherspace, perhaps while watching a NOVA holocom one drunken evening:

Etherscope is built inside the ethereal plane, a separate dimension from what is known as Prime Reality. It was (officially) discovered in the late 1800's quite by accident, by a scientist who was experimenting with huge magnets. He had unseeingly opened a portal into etherspace.

Luckily, his accident hadn't remained opened long, or there could have been dire consequences. Raw ether contains a significant entropic quality. A small amount of ether introduced into prime reality can cause an entropic rift. It's corrosive nature upon matter long made the idea of human colonization of the realm seem impossible.

However, a material called etherion was invented, which is equal parts matter and ether. This material (and it's availability) allows mortals to withstand the harsh conditions inside etherspace. The two discoveries of etherspace portals (which accelerated engines for use in space travel), and the synthesized material of etherion have had significant impact on the evolution of humanity.

The Matrix is a storehouse of data inside Etherscope. While the data is instantly accessible anywhere in prime reality, and is easily accessed via holo-screen; for the Matrix to be sensually experienced, the user needs to jack in using hardware. Most recently in the black market, drugs have become available that allow users to tab in without any need of cybernetic implants.

The avatars that users create inside the matrix allow them access to the infinite possibility of VR programming. Avatars are projections, but not purely made of light particles. They do have some mass, and are a subtle mixture of light particles, matter, and ether.

It's been proposed that a more fluid form of etherion was possible. In theory, it could travel back and forth between the Matrix and Prime Reality, without the need of gigantic portal magnets, or the harmful possibility of entropic rifts.

Yeah, I probably goofed that Stealth check then, it should be +6, not +8, sorry.

Cool idea about being able to jack in naturally!   cheers

Ok, so if everything in the Matrix is just data (makes sense) and the user is jacked directly into the matrix.... could a netrunner take data in the matrix (in whatever illusionary form it holds) and download it back to the Prime using the same connection (our head jack)?

for example, my work computer has a hard drive to store data.  it is also connected to the 100TB office server (matrix).  I can take a file from the server and either copy it to my local hard drive or cut\paste (move) it to my hard drive, because my computer (netrunner) is connected directly to the server (matrix).
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:29 pm

Hmm, I think I already answered your question?

Robyo wrote:It is also possible to exchange items (programs) within the matrix. It is possible to carry that new-found item with you as data when you "jack out" consciously. And some programs are special enough to not de-rezz if an avatar does. It often depends on the program's security codex.

If you mean, try to download/upload data while still inside the Matrix, sure, but it would have to be at a hardline connection. The ease of use, usually depends on the specific data/program that you are accessing and it's various protocals.

And one other aspect of the matrix that might not have been made clear on the forum: like in the movie, it's necessary for an avatar to arrive and exit the matrix via a hardline connection. Typically a phone line, but a hard-wired computer terminal works too.

Ether tabs typically work by locating the user wherever the chemist has devised. It is certainly takes a trusting mind to use them! They work on a time duration and when it's over, the user "comes down" back to prime reality.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:45 am

Robyo wrote:Hmm, I think I already answered your question?

Robyo wrote:It is also possible to exchange items (programs) within the matrix. It is possible to carry that new-found item with you as data when you "jack out" consciously. And some programs are special enough to not de-rezz if an avatar does. It often depends on the program's security codex.

sunny right, in the post before the last post.... geez you expect me to read everything AND remember??  Rolling Eyes

Don Mufasa is going to frak my ass if I don't come out of this with something more than a pile of drek.....

Nico will Dash forward (north) attempting to remain in stealth.  Nico wants to get the drop on Kaan (guy with the data in the briefcase).  Kaan hasn't seen Nico yet and Nico entered Stealth last round.  I have read the rules on movement and hiding... honestly I don't see where it states clearly how this works, it seems like it is just GM discretion if Kaan would get a Passive Perception check vs my Stealth roll.

Nico will fire over the bar, using it as partial cover at Kaan, hopefully with Advantage for being an unseen attacker

attack with pistol

+2 Int +2 prof = 17

if advantage,

3 + 4 = 7  
    nevermind

if the first shot hits, damage on gun is 2d6 + 2 INT
    Result of the throw of dice "2d6" :

6 + 4 = 10
    +2 = 12

if it counts as Advantage, Nico gets Sneak Attack damage
    Result of the throw of dice "2d6" :

3 + 3 = 6
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:56 pm

The Stealth rules are intentionally fuzzy, to help the DM I think. The black case Kaan is carrying is no longer in a briefcase. The briefcase disappeared when Mr. X de-rezzed. The item was left behind on the floor, but Kaan picked it up.

Nico's Stealth beats Kaan's Passive Perception. However when Hiding it says, "in combat if you come out of hiding and approach a creature it usually sees you." But Kaan and Zandra are crouching behind the bar (3/4 Cover), so they have a tougher time seeing Nico approach.

In this case I'd say you could do either:

-If Nico takes a Dash action, he will lose his Stealth and be seen approaching. He would not get his Sneak Attack, but get 1/2 Cover at the edge of the bar.

-If he takes a regular Move, he can retain Stealth and get his Sneak Attack. But he wouldn't be as close to the bar, (being at 0-4).
    He would still have 1/2 Cover, but and Kaan and Zandra would also have 1/2 Cover.

Once Nico attacks, he loses his stealth.

Which would you choose? We'll keep the same rolls.

Last edited by Robyo on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:35 am

Nico will Dash to get the superior position
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:02 am

~Nico dashes by the patrons who give an excited shout at seeing his gun out. He bellies up to the bar (N-4) and shoots Kaan for 12 damage. "We're caught in a crossfire!" Zandra shouts.

~Club security has pushed their way through the first level dance floor and reached the bottom of the stairs.

~The servers move away from the action. One of them hides at 0-29, near Horus11.

~Patrons continue to disperse from the balcony. They clog up the stairwell with their bodies as they flee.

Round: 5

Initiative:
    - Horus11
    - guards 1 & 2
    - Kaan & Zandra
    - Nico
    -club security
    -server bots
    - patrons

Horus11 is up. He is invisible at 0-32.

[img]1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Club_b20[/img]

MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15/201: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:43 pm

Horus11 (invisible) lays prone on the floor to avoid any stray gunfire. He crawls over to M-32 and waits there for one of the armored guards to (hopefully) get shot and drop his weapon. pirat
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:59 pm

~The corp guards continue to fire at the two thieves. Zandra gets hit thrice, and she de-rezzes.

~Kaan wastes no time, he closes in on the POS. It's a hardline computer terminal situated behind the bar. He presses his thumb on the biometric sensor plate and looks at Nico for a moment, studying the new arrival's face. He is still clutching the shiny black case close to his chest. Then in a flash, he is gone. Kaan jacked out of the Matrix and could be anywhere in Prime Reality.

Nico is up.
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:14 pm

Robyo wrote:~The corp guards continue to fire at the two thieves. Zandra gets hit thrice, and she de-rezzes.

~Kaan wastes no time, he closes in on the POS. It's a hardline computer terminal situated behind the bar. He presses his thumb on the biometric sensor plate and looks at Nico for a moment, studying the new arrival's face. He is still clutching the shiny black case close to his chest. Then in a flash, he is gone. Kaan jacked out of the Matrix and could be anywhere in Prime Reality.

Nico is up.

At least he only saw my avatar. Fraking Matrix.... back to the drawing board....

Nico will look around for any other threats
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:38 pm

There's two E corp guards with Nico in their sights. There's club security personal at the bottom of the stairs.
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:40 am

Robyo wrote:There's two E corp guards with Nico in their sights. There's club security personal at the bottom of the stairs.

Why are these goons eyeing me?  I shot at the guy that killed their boss.... braindead chummers!

Nico will hop over the bar, using a Dash for extra movement over difficult terrain  (or he can just run around the bar, but hopping over is more stylish).

Nico will jack into the same POS that Kaan used and try to trace the last log-out

Now where did that drekker go?

Investigate +2 INT +2 Prof.
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +4" :

8 + 4 = 12
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Nico quickly scans the last log-out record. Location of signal origin is Pluto's moon, Styx. The specific location of the IP address is blocked.

Give me an Insight check opposing Kaan's Deception.
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:41 pm

Robyo wrote:Nico quickly scans the last log-out record. Location of signal origin is Pluto's moon, Styx. The specific location of the IP address is blocked.

Give me an Insight check opposing Kaan's Deception.

Styx?!?! How in the hell can someone jack into the Matrix from Pluto? It takes days for a message to travel that distance.....

Insight

7 + 4 = 11
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:35 pm

Chirs2 wrote:Styx?!?!  How in the hell can someone jack into the Matrix from Pluto?  It takes days for a message to travel that distance.....

The Matrix exists in the Ethereal plane. It is a separate dimension of time/space. It can be accessed by users across great distances at the exact same moment in shared time (ether time).

Sending simple messages over etherspace is certainly possible, but not always reliable. There is a lot of radiation, interference, viruses, hackers, and other unknown elements; obstacles that often corrupt data or make it disappear.

To get the best service in sending even a routine holocom message, the fee can be just as expensive as jacking in/out. Most people who aren't in a hurry, and those who aren't VR junkies (like Manny, who doesn't have any implants at all), prefer sending a "message in a bottle." Especially when time isn't so essential. Such transmissions are carried on radio waves, but digitally encoded. A whole different set of encryption algorithms are utilized in space transmissions than what is used inside the Matrix. This also help to keep the message secret, at least from matrix hackers. Space hackers are whole other breed.

"Insight

7 + 4 = 11"

Nico quickly scans the user location data-logs, but Kaan just as quickly covers up his digital trail. He's rewritten the code, blocking his specific IP address.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:19 pm

~Three bouncers push their way up the stairs. "Out of the way! Security! Coming through!" they shout. Each is dressed (and armed) like the men at the club's rear entrance.

~The servers stay out of the way, as their programming.

~Patrons continue to flee the scene.

[img]1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Club_b21[/img]

Round 6:

Initiative:
    - Horus11
    - guards 1 & 2
    - Nico
    -club security
    -server bots
    - patrons

Horus11 is up.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:42 am

Robyo wrote:
    Chirs2 wrote:Styx?!?!  How in the hell can someone jack into the Matrix from Pluto?  It takes days for a message to travel that distance.....

The Matrix exists in the Ethereal plane. It is a separate dimension of time/space. It can be accessed by users across great distances at the exact same moment in shared time (ether time).

Sending simple messages over etherspace is certainly possible, but not always reliable. There is a lot of radiation, interference, viruses, hackers, and other unknown elements; obstacles that often corrupt data or make it disappear.

To get the best service in sending even a routine holocom message, the fee can be just as expensive as jacking in/out. Most people who aren't in a hurry, and those who aren't VR junkies (like Manny, who doesn't have any implants at all), prefer sending a "message in a bottle." Especially when time isn't so essential. Such transmissions are carried on radio waves, but digitally encoded. A whole different set of encryption algorithms are utilized in space transmissions than what is used inside the Matrix. This also help to keep the message secret, at least from matrix hackers. Space hackers are whole other breed.

Nico quickly scans the user location data-logs, but Kaan just as quickly covers up his digital trail. He's rewritten the code, blocking his specific IP address.

Thanks for the GM explanation!  I suppose Nico would have known that, but its possible he doesn't understand the nuances of the Ethernet either, especially given his distaste of it.

*just to be clear, the italics are Nico's thoughts.  I love Blade Runner and wanted to emulate a bit of that feeling by streaming Nico's internal monologue.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:43 pm

As a user, Nico would be aware of these, uhm, discrepencies and idiosyncrasies of daily life in 2112.

Actually, I'm glad you bought that explanation... I realize it's not very scientific. As a DM, I want the Matrix/etherspace to be accessible from any place in the solar system, but I do of like the concept of interplanetary communication being slow.

I'm enjoying being privy to Nico's private thoughts. He sure doesn't seem to like Musafa. I think it adds a noir feel.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:03 pm

Robyo wrote:As a user, Nico would be aware of these, uhm, discrepencies and idiosyncrasies of daily life in 2112.

Actually, I'm glad you bought that explanation... I realize it's not very scientific. As a DM, I want the Matrix/etherspace to be accessible from any place in the solar system, but I do of like the concept of interplanetary communication being slow.

I'm enjoying being privy to Nico's private thoughts. He sure doesn't seem to like Musafa. I think it adds a noir feel.

Your black'n'white picture of Don Mufasa certainly supports that feel cheers

Using the Ethereal Plane totally bypasses the need for logic or science. It is using a "magical" plane anyways and makes sense as the default method of communication, if you aren't paranoid.

Just as a personal aside.... I have always interpreted the legends of people, like the Mayans, who just vanished to be something similar. They just went to a different neighboring plane. Much like the way we use computer terms to explain our brain and memory, I feel like the internet could be a parallel to alternate planes, especially one of digital information. Our universe is just energy and information anyways Wink
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 pm

There could be Mayans in astralspace?  alien

And I forgot to move Nico in the earlier map. This is an update, and I also marked Horus11, but he's still invisible, I think.

1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 <a href=1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Club_b22" />

Horus11 is up.
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15/201: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:26 pm

After noticing a lull in the gunfire, Horus11 picks himself up off the floor (yes, he's still invisible), and walks over to the table where Catwalk was sitting with the corp and thugs. Anything left on the table there? I know I saw that bastard hold up a tablet or something, which freaked out Catwalk... something about her daughter being held captive?

I understand it might take 2 rounds to get there.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:25 am

~Still unseen, Horus11 dashes over to the corner of the room (C-31). The table and chairs are ruined by gunfire. There are bullet holes in the walls. The guard's guns shoot short, controlled bursts.

Mr. X's tablet has disappeared completely (probably de-rezzed along with him). Amidst the debris strewn across the floor , Horus11 eyes a single matchbook. It says Delta 5 Hilton on the cover. He can pick it up next turn.

~One of the guards shouts at Nico, "Alright tough guy, let me see you raise them hands, nice and slow."

"Cover me, Frank," says the other guard and makes a dash to I-17.

Nico is up.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:34 am

I still have no frakkin idea what just happened, but no time to figure it out now.....

Nico was already plugged into the POS that Kaan used to jack out (assuming this is like the Matrix? and you can only log out of a hardline, which never made any sense, since you used a hard line to jack in and you just appeared in the world).

Nico logs out

He smiles at the guard and raises his hands nice and slow...... as he fades away
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:33 pm

Chris wrote:Nico was already plugged into the POS that Kaan used to jack out (assuming this is like the Matrix? and you can only log out of a hardline, which never made any sense, since you used a hard line to jack in and you just appeared in the world).

Nico logs out

Well, I haven't seen the movies in awhile, but in this game your character logs both in and out at a hardline. Unless you're tab-jamming, then it's a location designated by the chemist.

~Nico finds himself back in Tweek's VIP room in the cybercafe.

~The bouncers run into the scene, weapons drawn. They yell at the corp guards, "Drop your weapons!"

~Most of the  patrons run down the stairs, but a few gawkers are standing at the top, watching the showdown.

The bots stay put. The music below continues.

Horus11 is up.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:37 pm

do you want Nico to wait until the combat scene in the Matrix is over before doing anything else?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:19 pm

Yeah, we're still in Initiative. Thanks.

Horus11 is up.
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:01 pm

Horus11 picks up the matchbook and checks for any relevant info on the Delta5 Hilton (like an address or number).

Catwalk won't be able to jack into cyberspace for a while so I need to find some other way of contacting her. Maybe one of those shady characters in the gunfight knows something?

Horus11 slips over to I-31 to see what's going on.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:29 pm

~Printed on the virtual matchbook cover, Horus11 reads the address of the Hilton. It's located in a posh district called the Gold Coast.

He also sees on the inside cover, someone had scribbled in blue ink, "604."

The Delta5 Hilton is considered the largest and most prestigious hotel in all of Virtual Reality. With accessible links from the real hotels, it has many keyed levels, according to price range.

~The club bouncers now waving guns at them, the two E-corp guards pause. They look at each other and then slowly lower their rifles to the floor. "Easy now," says the first guard, "I'm Frank Vandito, and this is my partner. We're from E corp, AnthroGen division. We have Code 7 Authority. Here's my identification."

"That's right," the other guard agrees. "I'm Karl Hagan. Let's use the terminal, so we can clear this matter up."

"Okay, but no funny business," says the lead bouncer.

"You guys keep your eyes open," advises Frank, handing over the datacard. "There was some other parties involved. Someone de-rezzed our boss."
    "We de-rezzed a few other combatants, but more could be lurking around. I think they have camouflage powers," Karl adds.

The lead bouncer looks at one of his fellows. "Guido, but on the true-seeing goggles."

*At this point, we'll continue Nico's tale in 1.2:The West Door.

~The bouncer looks around with the special goggles.

"You seen anything yet?" asks the lead.
    "Nothing yet, boss." the spotter replies.
    "Keep lookin'."
    "Alright."

Horus11 is up.
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Frackin' corp guards! Always messing up the program. I had better get out of here, and fast.

Horus11 uses his last bit of energy to launch Expeditious Retreat on himself (as a bonus action) and heads as fast as possible to the exit (O-42). He reappears after casting the spell.

FYI: Expeditious Retreat gives him the ability to perform a dash after a single or double move (total of 120 feet of movement).
    By my calculations this should put him 3 or 4 squares outside the door.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:58 am

~Horus11 quickly vacates the lounge area. Dashing inside the closed doors, he finds a technopium den.

1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 <a href=1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 Techno10" />

About a dozen wirehead avatars are jacked into dream analyzers. There's a couple open consoles if Horus11 wants to try.

At the far end of the room is another doorway.
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:38 am

A dream within a dream, hmm... not today. Those bozos are probably on my tail. Got to get to an exit terminal and contact Catwalk ASAP.

Horus11 scrambles across the room as fast as possible and exits the building (hopefully the main exit out onto the street).

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:43 pm

The other door of the den is a stairwell. Horus11 goes down, and  short time later, he is outside the rear exit of the club. Back in the alleyway, but no bouncers on duty. They were probably called inside because of the disturbance.

1: A Tangled Web - Page 2 WXQN4Jr

Except for a stray black cat underneath a dumpster, Horus11 is alone. No bouncers seem to be around now. The black cat hisses at him.

*Bronson, what is your plan? I will try to tailor the next thread chapter according to what Ernest is determined to do...

BTW, your character doesn't need to log out of the matrix to try and contact Catwalk. Any matrix terminal will suffice, but Horus11 also realizes that public terminals aren't secure from tracking/hacking.
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:31 pm

I want to contact Catwalk again using a secure terminal. I know I won't be able to help her right away, and I may not even be able to help her alone, if I'm able to help her at all. I feel like there's something more to this that just a kidnapping, like she found some important info about a faction that they don't want getting out into the open. So I need to talk to her first (securely), then get some rest and prepare for whatever comes next.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Let's run cyber services something like this...

- Jacking in @ home (ewww!  tongue  )
    When your character has a lifestyle of at least Modest, your IP service is covered in monthly Lifestyle Expenses (PHB p. 157). With that service, you have base quality connection. With a Comfortable lifestyle or better, you gain Advantage on all Connection saves.

- Jacking in @ public (even more eww):
    There are several options.
    1) A public terminal costs 1 credit to send or receive a text/holo message. It costs 100 credits to jack in. Jacking out is usually free. Public terminals have the least privacy and you have base connection save.

It is alright to send and receive texts on your personal datapad. Although convenient, it is not considered a private way to communicate. You still need a hardline connection to jack in/out of the matrix in avatar form.

2) A cyber cafe costs x10 a public terminal. It has better connectivity (Advantage on saves) and more secure privacy. Lower DCs for computer-based skill checks. Jacking out of a cyber cafe is 10 credits, or often free.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:09 pm

So, does Ernest want to contact Catwalk while he is still inside the Matrix? Or perhaps he wants to jack out and look for her back on Earth?

There is a cyber cafe across the street called Skad's. There is a public terminal on the street corner as well, with a line of people waiting to use it.

From his vantage point in the alley, Horus11 can see a handful of people hanging out on the corner or walking by. There are VR vehicles in the street.
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:41 pm

Okay, I think my best bet is to jack off the matrix... I mean log out. tongue

So do I need to stand in that long line just to get back to the real world? Either way I find the nearest, most convenient terminal to get out.

Once I'm out and back in my apartment I'll try to send a message to Catwalk on a secure connection. I assume I live a modest lifestyle and have access there?

Ernest Osborn to Catwalk: I'm back out. What's going on? I want to help
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:39 pm

While Horus11 waits impatiently in line to use the public terminal, he spots a few bouncers exiting the club. Then come the two E corp guards. They all talk and walk together, down towards the street curb, where a limo is waiting. The E corp guards get in the hover car and depart.

A short time later, Ernest is back in his apartment in Seattle. It is about 3pm on a Wednesday.

*I think Ernest should at least spring for a comfortable lifestyle, so that he can have a more secure and private matrix connection.

Catwalk replies:
    Everything's fukt Ernest! E corp has been hunting me lately, seeking the hard copy of a transcription I recently received. It's a top secret program for some corporate project off-world.

Two days ago they kidnapped my daughter Ava. I still don't know where she is. On Mr. X's tablet, it looked like she was being kept at knife-point in a hotel room. That corp bastard said they would kill her if he thought I was pulling a trick.

I've only given them the first truncate of data. I still have the rest, so we have something to bargain with. I'm supposed to call him back in 20 minutes for another drop off meeting.

Can you help me? PLEASE!
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:36 am

Ernest RE: Yes I'll help. I owe you more than a few favors, and I can't stand seeing an innocent girl being held captive by a bunch of corp cowards! I think it would be best if we backed up that data somewhere too. You think we can trust these corporate bullies to uphold their end of the bargain and release your daughter?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:51 am

Catewalk texts:No, I don't trust them. But they have my daughter. What can I do, but play their game?

The data stick is encrypted and copy-protected. I can't read it or back it up. Haven't been able to break the encryption yet.

My friend Scorb gave me the data stick early last week. He insisted we meet on Prime. The datastick itself is E corp issued. It has some peculiar properties on Prime and inside the matrix.

Scorb said the data it contains is important. He wouldn't tell me how he received it. "It's mostly interviews from some of the colonists on Pluto," he said. "They discovered a pyramid on one of it's moons. Even had some artifacts within it. Cat, I tell you this information could change the nature of civilization!"

That was nearly two weeks ago. I haven't been able to contact him since.

I'm in Sydney, Can you get here in 20 minutes? If not, that's okay. E corp usually wants to meet inside the matrix, anyways.

Last edited by Robyo on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:21 am

if you are out of combat now, can Nico play too? bounce

I don't think Nico ever even saw Horus11, so his intent is to continue to locate Catwalk and\or recover the BSC data if possible
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 am

Chris fails his Investigation roll.

Robyo wrote:*At this point, we'll continue Nico's tale in 1.2:The West Door.

And I put a reminder up in the Nico thread too. He has a new thread now...

Yeah, I really hoped you guys would meet in the last encounter. Oh well. At least I'm quite enjoying the involved complexity of intertwined solo stories.

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:57 am

DOH! I was blinded by the GM's wall of images and text spell, sorry

I had hoped we would meet too, but in the moment, it didn't happen. I am sure it will, soon enough
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Okay, Ernest walks out of his apartment to get some fresh air. He lights up a cigarette and guzzles an energy drink to try to keep his nerves frosty (short rest and arcane recovery). After a few minutes he goes back upstairs, swaps out a fresh battery pack on his hacker drive, and logs back in with a secure connection (bonus to saves).
    Once again taking on the persona of Horus11, Ernest navigates to Catwalk's location, and scans the area for her.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:08 pm

Twenty minutes later, Catwalk hears from E corp about the drop, she contacts Ernest: Meeting at Pier 18 of the Delta5 docks. We might be going for a cruise. They probably want to make the exchange somewhere terminals are inaccessible.

Meet me at the dock in 5 minutes. I appreciate your help. I have a trick up my sleeve. To save my daughter, I may need to polymorph you.

Polymorph is a hacker's term. It means to upload someone's consciousness directly from the matrix into a constructed form in Prime Reality. Usually an android or robot is the host.

Ernest manages a short rest (and the other things you've listed sound fine) and jacks back into the matrix.

We'll continue in thread 2: Swap of Gravity

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:52 pm