Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

2 posters

The Library of Ling (prelude)

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    The Library of Ling (prelude) Left_bar_bleue35/35The Library of Ling (prelude) Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    The Library of Ling (prelude) Left_bar_bleue0/0The Library of Ling (prelude) Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

The Library of Ling (prelude) Empty The Library of Ling (prelude)

Post  Chris Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:56 am

The Library of Ling (prelude) Ling10

Head Librarian Ling approaches Argul with his usual slow measured pace, "Argul, I believe we may have a special customer in... Biographies."  His eyes drift down to a human-looking man in a brown suit.  The man is intently scanning through biography titles.  The steam-powered shelves refreshing its stock at a rapid pace.

Argul, please describe your prime material library and where Ling finds you on a Tuesday morning at 10:42am....
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    The Library of Ling (prelude) Left_bar_bleue60/112The Library of Ling (prelude) Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    The Library of Ling (prelude) Left_bar_bleue0/0The Library of Ling (prelude) Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

The Library of Ling (prelude) Empty Re: The Library of Ling (prelude)

Post  MAS Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:02 pm

Argul is in "civilian" guise to blend in on the Prime material Plane where he attends to his current work.

The Library of Ling (prelude) 40f16aaa63070bc4acc7c23d274c3495

"With haste, Master Ling." Argul nods his head in polite deference and moves towards the biography section. When he reaches the limits of his detection spells, he investigates from a distance, detecting for MAGIC and PSYCHIC SIGNIFICANCE.

Once he has collected intelligence, he will approach and target the customer with a TELEMPATHIC PROJECTION before making an introduction based on his diplomacy skill.

"Good day! Biographies are fascinating, are they not? One might suppose they are difficult to write well. Whereas fiction is a continual discovery of what one wants to say, what one feels, what one means, and is, in that sense, a performance art, biography requires different skills - research and organization. Yet a good biography is more than a court record or a stringing together of already familiar sources. It breathes life into the subject! Has a particular personality caught your attention?"

Qoutes borrowed from Edmund White and Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    The Library of Ling (prelude) Left_bar_bleue35/35The Library of Ling (prelude) Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:55 am

Nice entry!

This is why I like short preludes, we can refine the vision of the world(s).

Ok, so Argul is casting 3 spells, each of which have both a Verbal and Somatic component.  Keeping some version of that requirement, do you visualize those components being re-skinned at all?

Is it acceptable in that Prime World for people to stand in a library (or any public) place and wave their arms while speaking in Draconic?

Can any of them be used as a SLA?  which removes the V\S components

I could see using Stealth skill check to obfuscate the casting actions

How many rounds would Argul stand and stare at the man in the brown jacket?  for Detect Magic, if cast
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    The Library of Ling (prelude) Left_bar_bleue60/112The Library of Ling (prelude) Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:51 pm

Chris wrote:Nice entry!

This is why I like short preludes, we can refine the vision of the world(s).

Ok, so Argul is casting 3 spells, each of which have both a Verbal and Somatic component.  Keeping some version of that requirement, do you visualize those components being re-skinned at all?

Is it acceptable in that Prime World for people to stand in a library (or any public) place and wave their arms while speaking in Draconic?

Can any of them be used as a SLA?  which removes the V\S components

I could see using Stealth skill check to obfuscate the casting actions

How many rounds would Argul stand and stare at the man in the brown jacket?  for Detect Magic, if cast

The verbal and somatic components are disguised to blend in anywhere books and scrolls exist. One holds a book or scroll with one arm/hand and appears to read aloud while tracing the text with the other hand and fingers ...of course, the spell would cast if the proper arm postures and hand motions were made without the prop in hand, but holding it presents a convenient cover!

I think "bluff" is probably a better check, should one be required. Stealth would imply he is attempting to remain physically hidden.

Detect Magic is an SLA (Racial ability, Envoy) Argul will cast the "Detect Magic" Spell last, and use the time it will take to walk down the library aisle towards him when he is speaking to observe the man in the brown suit. Does that make sense?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:43 am

MAS wrote:
    The verbal and somatic components are disguised to blend in anywhere books and scrolls exist. One holds a book or scroll with one arm/hand and appears to read aloud while tracing the text with the other hand and fingers ...of course, the spell would cast if the proper arm postures and hand motions were made without the prop in hand, but holding it presents a convenient cover!

I think "bluff" is probably a better check, should one be required. Stealth would imply he is attempting to remain physically hidden.

Detect Magic is an SLA (Racial ability, Envoy) Argul will cast the "Detect Magic" Spell last, and use the time it will take to walk down the library aisle towards him when he is speaking to observe the man in the brown suit. Does that make sense?

Great explanation!  It helps me see your world, as you envision it.  I am asking all the PCs similar questions to flesh out there characters quickly.  

I would agree with Bluff in that context, go for it!

SLA are so great, that's a real handy one on DM.  

Ok, results....

The man in the brown jacket is looking about, not nervously but Argul might say in a paranoid way.  He sees Argul, but doesn't appear to register him as doing anything unusual.  

Detect Psychic Significance - this guy's clothing lights up Argul's recognition!  In particular:  brown overcoat, suit jacket, unpolished brown leather shoes, full-moon spectacles, tattered bowler hat.  

Telempathic Projection - +5 to diplo

Detect Magic - all the of the items from DPS also light up under DM, the strength of the auras follows the order listed, with the overcoat being the strongest.

study so if I am reading DPS right, they are both magical AND have some history psychically imprinted in them that would take further skill rolls to read.  Also it would take individual KNOW Arcana checks for each item to determine the type of aura (school of magic).  Each check is an action.

________________________________________________________________________________________

MAS wrote:

"Good day! Biographies are fascinating, are they not? One might suppose they are difficult to write well. Whereas fiction is a continual discovery of what one wants to say, what one feels, what one means, and is, in that sense, a performance art, biography requires different skills - research and organization. Yet a good biography is more than a court record or a stringing together of already familiar sources. It breathes life into the subject! Has a particular personality caught your attention?"

The man in the brown jacket looks up, having not paid attention to what Argul said, he replies in full voice, "Ah... caught me?  what?"  He casts about for immediate threats, but seeing none....

The Library of Ling (prelude) Doc_co10

....He gives Argul a long awkward stare before adding (in a whisper), "I don't know the person's name.  That's why I came... here.  (loudly) To you.(forced whisper)  I was told you might be able to help me?  I have something that I need you to (loudly) READ for me (whisper) to identify the... author."

He looks around the library to see if anyone is paying undo attention to him.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:04 am

Do you want rolls for these, or shall we proceed "improv" style for expediency in the prelude?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:23 am

MAS wrote:Do you want rolls for these, or shall we proceed "improv" style for expediency in the prelude?

It's up to you. I told Rob that I am a fan of "taking 10" out of combat, which is kind of like the Passive checks in 5e. If you want to roll for something, roll it. "Improv" also works for this scene.

study I took your TP and +5 to diplo into account, it did help the man calm down, at least a bit. You could make further attempts with your other abilities if you want.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:01 pm

I'll take 10 on everything. Before we do any business, we'll need to clarify that this guy is legit.

Argul smiles warmly, putting the book he carried down on a table and then grasping the prospective client in a firm handshake. "I've read many a book. What did I do before that?" he challenges, presenting the Brown suited man an opportunity to provide him the vouchsafe response...

Hint: It's a verb. Click if you need.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:05 pm

MAS wrote:I'll take 10 on everything.

study  sorry, what are you taking 10 on exactly?  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The man in the brown suit gives Argul another uncomfortable, long stare....

Argul hears a response from the top of a nearby bookcase, it is spoken in a proper british accent and well articulated, "My good man, you would open it, of course."

Argul looks up to see a monkey dressed in a doctor's jacket who is casually thumbing through "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawkins

The Library of Ling (prelude) Monkey11
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Chris wrote:

study so if I am reading DPS right, they are both magical AND have some history psychically imprinted in them that would take further skill rolls to read.  Also it would take individual KNOW Arcana checks for each item to determine the type of aura (school of magic).  Each check is an action.

Taking 10 on these.

Argul chuckles in a friendly manner as he shakes the man's hand. Then steps back, putting about 10 feet in between himself and the man. Making it look as if he is casually trying to get a better a look at the monkey (which he is) rather than creating a tactical buffer between him, the brown suited man, and the monkey (which he most certainly is!).

"Well then, Wonders never cease! What is it that needs reading, and what is it being offered in payment?"
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:03 pm

MAS wrote:
    Chris wrote:

Taking 10 on these.

Ok, let's deal with this separately from the story

Detect Magic - for the auras.  Each is a skill check, so let's say you can do one passively per round as you talk and interact, you see these 1 at a time over the next couple rounds.

Brown overcoat - Aura strong varied
    Jacket -  Aura moderate transmutation
    old shoes - Aura moderate transmutation
    spectacles - Aura moderate divination
    bowler hat - Aura moderate abjuration

A Spellcraft check is required for anything further
    Attempting to ascertain the properties of a magic item takes 3 rounds per item to be identified and you must be able to thoroughly examine the object.

As for the psychic readings -
    You detect the presence of psychically significant items in your vicinity. Such items are those that might have significant psychic imprints or histories that can be read by the psychometry occult skill unlock, or items under the effects of the charge object or implant false reading spells. Items within range that contain significant psychic energy spark a recognition in your mind's eye, but no other information is imparted.

Argul doesn't appear to have that skill (Appraise, psychometry unlock) and the items are not affected by the 2 spells listed.  I don't think he can go any further with this avenue.

Psychometry (Appraise)

You can read the psychic impressions left on objects or in places by previous owners and events.

Check: Once per day, you can concentrate for 1 minute while in physical contact with an item or location, during which you receive flashes of insight regarding the subject's nature and ownership. After 1 minute, you attempt a DC 15 Appraise check to decipher the visions. You gain one piece of information about the historical significance or the last previous owner—such as a glimpse of the last owner's appearance or its emotional state when it last used the item—determined by the GM. You learn one more piece of information for every 10 by which your check result exceeds the DC, as long as you concentrate for 1 additional minute for each piece of information. If you fail the check by less than 5 or the item has no significant psychic imprint, you don't learn any information. If you fail this check by 5 or more, the item appears to be psychically significant even if it's not, and the information you gain is wildly inaccurate. If you attempt to use psychometry on an item affected by charge object or implant false reading, you automatically learn all information imprinted by the spell. You must also attempt a Will save. If the item is affected by an implant false reading spell, on a success, you realize the information was false, and can determine the true information as well. On a failure, or if the item is affected by a charge object spell, you believe the information is true.

Action: Reading an object requires at least 1 minute of uninterrupted concentration.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/occultAdventures/spells/objectReading.html#object-reading

would require an additional spell per item. It doesn't appear that Argul knows the spell Object Reading.

Is this something you want to consider changing on your character, as it appears you thought you could do this?

study and candidly, this is what the man in the brown jacket is asking for - a reading on an object Wink
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:24 pm

No need to delve deeper with spellcraft, Argul can tell that this guy is wearing several magic items, and that tells him something important in itself.

Argul has been refined to include "object reading" as one of his 2nd lvl spells.

He is prepared to "read". He is required to perform an appraise check as part of the spell. He'd use his racial "burst of insight" SLA prior to making that check because he has no ranks in it.

Burst of Insight =

You plumb the depths of your mind for insight, leaving you momentarily frazzled. When you are about to make a d20 roll based on Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma, you can cast this spell to gain a +8 enhancement bonus to Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma for that roll, but you are dazed for 1 round afterward.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:02 pm

study Are you sure you don't want to juggle just a couple skill pts into Appraisal?  Remember in PF, all you need is 1 rank to get the "skilled" bonus and you could still use your BoI on top of that.  Please make any changes before the end of your prelude

The man in the brown jacket smiles, his volume continues to fluctuate inappropriately, "I need you to read a.... memory.  No easy task, I grant you.  But I was told that you are an exceptionally gifted.... librarian."

He holds up what looks like a holographic gem.  It flickers with rainbow hues but looks insubstantial as it floats above his palm.

The Library of Ling (prelude) 543fba10

"I need to know the author of the memory and anything else you can read"

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Psychometry (Appraise)

You can read the psychic impressions left on objects or in places by previous owners and events.

Check: Once per day, you can concentrate for 1 minute while in physical contact with an item or location, during which you receive flashes of insight regarding the subject's nature and ownership. After 1 minute, you attempt a DC 15 Appraise check to decipher the visions. You gain one piece of information about the historical significance or the last previous owner—such as a glimpse of the last owner's appearance or its emotional state when it last used the item—determined by the GM. You learn one more piece of information for every 10 by which your check result exceeds the DC, as long as you concentrate for 1 additional minute for each piece of information.

Object Reading spell

You read the psychic impressions left upon an object by emotionally or psychically charged events in the item's history, or the information imprinted by the charge object or implant false reading spells. This spell returns the same information as the psychometry occult skill unlock, but gives 1 piece of information when cast and requires 1 round of concentration per additional piece of information instead of 1 minute. You must still attempt an Appraise check to see how much information you gain. You gain a +10 competence bonus on the check.

study so it looks like you get an additional +10 and get 1 piece of info when cast + 1 per round based on the roll
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:10 pm

An adjustment made, Appraise added.

Argul now has +6 from the skill itself, +10 from "Object reading". No need for BoI - it won't be enough to glean additional information while taking 10; a 25 should harvest 2 pieces of relevant information per pass on

AND -

Argul can simply continue to cast "Read Object" spells, concur?

In that case, he can take up to 7 "take 10" passes at the object, using all of his 2nd level spell slots up on "Read Object" spells. That ought to yield 14 pieces of relevant information. He'll stop burning spells if he starts running out of useful results.

study

BUT FIRST....

"My apologies sir, I'm sure you mentioned it already and I have simply forgotten, but what are you offering as payment?"
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:22 am

study As long as you have spell slots to burn, it seems like you could just keep casting it for the initial bonus, yes.  I am not sure that is really the intent, but it seems like a good meta-gaming application to me.  

The man in the brown jacket stares awkwardly, like the thought of payment hadn't occurred to him.  He looks up at the monkey, eyeing the trade value of a talking monkey.  The monkey does not appear amused.  

The monkey reaches into his lab coat and produces a small round artifact, "How about a little insider information?  Take a quick peak into the eye."

The Library of Ling (prelude) Eye10

"It will not harm you in any way.  He holds it up to his own eye and peers through... it looks like a library.  Your competition perhaps?"
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:08 pm

"Very well....very well indeed" states Argul, trying to conceal his interest. "You'll need to sign the contract. Mind the penalty clause. Though I'm certain that won't be a worry in your case." Argul smiles as unrolls the contract and produces a finely crafted fountain pen.

"It is, of course, binding. In fact, some say that a Cryptic contract is magical" he offers "But that is not quite the case. We simply appeal to very high Courts in the enforcement of broken contracts. Higher courts than some minds dare conceive. They are very, very strict in their interpretation of one's obligation to lawful agreements. But again, I'm certain that won't be a worry in this case..."

Once the contract is signed, Argul will collect payment and conduct the reading.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:43 pm

The man in the brown jacket signs the contract without reading it carefully, over the monkey's objections.  The monkey rolls eyes and shrugs his shoulders.  Argul wonders momentarily about a competency argument, but accepts the Eye pendant without looking into it.  The contract is signed. Payment made in full.  The man in the brown jacket floats the rainbow hologram to Argul for the reading.

The Library of Ling (prelude) 543fba11

Normally a reading requires Argul to physically touch the object, to hold it, to feel the psychic impressions inside it.  However, the hologram is merely light.  At first Argul struggles to get a reading from it.  Argul decides to look inside the hologram.  He begins to feel psychic energy within the hologram.  He has never experienced a reading like this before and grows curious.  Argul's perception begins to shift.... he is now inside the hologram.  It's like a virtual reality of a memory.  He is standing inside a room with rainbow-colored walls.

Arguls sees a memory of a child's bedroom.  He senses this is how the child saw his room, perhaps not how it truly appeared.

The Library of Ling (prelude) Bedroo10

Argul is describing what he sees for the man in the brown jacket, as is common for a reading.  Argul hears the man reply as if from across a huge hall, but he can't make out what he is saying.  Argul doesn't notice the monkey sprinkling some kind of golden dust on him.

Within the hologram something changes... the cartoon-like memory becomes more real.  Argul's attention is drawn to a mobile hanging over a crib.

The Library of Ling (prelude) Mobile10

As Argul begins to describe it, the rainbow-colored walls begin to spin like a kaleidoscope....

The Library of Ling (prelude) Rainbo11

Make the following saves:

Fort
    Ref
    Will

study you will join the group thread shortly
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:44 pm

I will make saves for Argul, just to speed it up

https://lodgestgaming.forumotion.com/t323-stuck-in-traffic#17169

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:20 am