Bones
whit10
9 posters

Pre-game/Out of play discussion

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Pre-game/Out of play discussion

Post  navyik Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:27 am

My dices roll comes through as a DM post? Odd. So I should post intentions with the math and then the rolls will come through after. Then do I just edit the post to add the completed equation?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Pre-game/Out of play discussion

Post  navyik Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:35 am

I took a +1 ring of protection
    I think I am ready.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 am

whit10 wrote:Matt... I have a rules question.

I cannot find anywhere in the book where it says that two handed weapons get Str. Bonus + 1/2 (rounding down) like nearly every other game seems to have now. (not just PF)

Is that a rule in here somewhere? I don't see it but I don't see a Feat or something else that covers it.  It's not that much of an increase but everything helps... maybe they have it and it's hard to find, maybe there's a reason it's not in here.

Thoughts?

Versatile weapon property. Seth has a longsword and could do either 1d8 (one handed) or 1d10 (two handed).

Did you catch the fighting with two weapons rule? You can do it with one light weapon in each hand (without a feat, but you do use your bonus action), only you don't add ability bonus to the off-hand weapon damage. Nice!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 am

@ Rob and Josh - there are some really cool things a warrior can do and most of them don't cost feats, which is nice

@ Mike and Joe - I think (hope) we will be ok on healing especially given the ability to self-heal during short\long rests that we all have.  my spells are totally locked, so I can't change anything, but I get all my spells back after a short rest.  My spells are mostly control\support too, but my bread'n'butter for damage is a strong cantrip so I can always spam that as needed.  

@GM - I am just going to use our regular dice roller, the one on the forum doesn't seem like it is going to work as there are no modifiers and it posts as GM, then we would have to go back and edit the post.... too much bother

https://dicelog.com/dice

for anyone that needs one, you can add modifiers to the roll and it shows everything

Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +3" :

16 + 3 = 19

Last edited by Chris on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 am

The member 'Chris' has done the following action : Dices roll

#1 'D20' : 11

--------------------------------

#2 'D8' : 2
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue86/98Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue11/11Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 am

For the 2 new guys here, do we use dice log and copy/paste results, or is there some linking we need to do?

Also, how much accounting are we doing in this campaign? Ammo, food, clean water, etc?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue19/19Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:14 am

I've always used this one. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

it's really user friendly. You just enter your stuff, roll the dice and paste it in your replies. It seems to work a bit better than the one on this page/site
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:15 am

Josef909 wrote:For the 2 new guys here, do we use dice log and copy/paste results, or is there some linking we need to do?

Also, how much accounting are we doing in this campaign?  Ammo, food, clean water, etc?

yeah, gentlemen's honor, just c\p from the dice log into your action post.

I don't know about the 2nd part, but usually we don't mess with much of the accounting beyond things like healing pots, magic arrows, etc
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:21 am

we use a map with tokens, usually from power point, so for example this is a map from my last game:

Alan might say he is moving his big blond guy from R-16 to R-9 and attack the big alien with a Trip on his 2h sword

Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +10" :

16 + 10 = 26

if that hits, damage:

Result of the throw of dice "2d6 +8" :

6 + 6 + 8 = 20

plus he needs to make a Fort save DC 15 or be knocked prone

Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 1ssyk_10

colored boarders might mean different things, but the GM will tell you what's what and we can add effects like explosions or clouds very easily. battlefields are cool!
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue86/98Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue11/11Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:32 am

So to keep things moving along, we roll damage as well as attack roll in the same post, and any post-roll modifiers that might apply (bardic inspiration), and specify any SV that need to be made?

And for allies I can jump in and apply bardic inspiration to their roll before Matt ejudicates? How about cutting words for NPCs, is that just something that gets reconnect if I can post right after NPC actions?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:45 am

The on-page dice roller does seem insufficient - I concur with continuing to copy/paste from dicelog.

For buffs on allies, EVERYBODY needs to track their buffs as best as they can. If you are going to buff someone as a reaction, do it as timely as possible and we will adjust gameplay as needed.

Effects targeting NPCs or creatures are handled in the same manner.

@ Mike and Joe: It would be smart to look through another thread and read through a combat encounter to get a feel for posting.

Bookkeeping: I expect you to track any ammo for missile weapons. Food and water, not so much. Anything else that is in limited supply should be tracked.

it is also requested that you post a "stat block" in the beginning of your turn's post, to include AC, HP, initiative, saves, passive perception, any current conditions; anything relevant. That way, the GM does not have to dig for info.

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:53 am

the forum is slow, it's not sitting around a table. we just try to post everything the GM needs in our action post to speed things up

it might be hours before the GM sees the post and reads it, so you usually have time to react

Bardic Inspiration is only during your turn, so that's not an issue

Cutting Words is a reaction, so that's why we say "if that hits" because that allows for reactions or unseen modifiers.

since posts are slow, what we try to avoid is waiting on someone for a whole day to finish their action

someone with multiple attacks might even say, I swing at the first guy that is badly wounded.

dice rolls

if that doesn't kill him, swing again at the same guy

if 1st guy is dead, this swing goes at the ogre next to him

dice rolls

we are lucky to complete 1 rd of combat per day, just fyi
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am

here is a good example, with Matt as GM

https://lodgestgaming.forumotion.com/t307-signals-and-alarm

you can see some stat blocks, map use, etc
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks for the link. Very helpful to see how combat plays out. I think I've got my head wrapped around it.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:06 pm

PBP is slowww. I say, as a GM, good luck telling your whole story! Chris has been the most successful running longer games, but they tend to go on for the better part of a year. And even then we're lucky to get a full levels worth of encounters in (sufficient XP) to bump up. Usually we just level up by DM fiat.

Compare that with FaceToFace gaming, it's rather a mixed bag. My live group only gets together every few weeks, so at least with PBP, I can get my RPG fix on a more constant, albeit much slower, basis.

I do like the benefit of having a recorded history to go back to. And it's super easy to post pix and descriptive text.
    Bones
    Bones

Post  Bones Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:31 pm

It's also a great what to have regular contact with friends
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:22 pm

C'mon, nobody is going to remark on my avatar pic?
    Bones
    Bones

Post  Bones Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Its an avatar? I thought it was a selfie from LARP, oops
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:30 pm

HA!

Is anyone NOT done? Cuz it looks like the characters are all done...so it looks like I am gonna launch this thing tomorrow!
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:36 pm

The camera always hides 3 feet, Alan. Everyone knows that. I was going to publicly admire your beard, though.

Huzzah! To adventure!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue19/19Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Alan, I'm so used to it now that I just don't feel a need to comment. lol
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:16 pm

whit10 wrote:Alan, I'm so used to it now that I just don't feel a need to comment. lol

jocolor

I will update to what he really looks like soon...
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue30/30Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:46 pm

navyik wrote:
    whit10 wrote:Alan, I'm so used to it now that I just don't feel a need to comment. lol

jocolor

I will update to what he really looks like soon...

If he doesn’t look like that handsome shirtless fellow I, for one, will be sorely disappointed.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:50 pm

that guy is PERFECT for a dwarven barbarian! don't change Alan, we love your stubbornness... I mean stubbiness, just as you are
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue30/30Pre-game/Out of play discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Chris wrote:that guy is PERFECT for a dwarven barbarian!  don't change Alan, we love your stubbornness... I mean stubbiness, just as you are

So should I keep mini-Swayze or go back to the waterlogged garden variety gnome?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:51 pm

oh, keep the Swayze. I mean it's SWAYZE! lol
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:29 am

Whitey wrote:
    So should I keep mini-Swayze or go back to the waterlogged garden variety gnome?

I vote for the swamp gnome. He had a sinister look and fits your character concept.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Swampey
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:37 pm

My first thought was of a SEAL team gnome. If you're counting votes, I vote wetgnome.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Josef909 wrote:My first thought was of a SEAL team gnome.  If you're counting votes, I vote wetgnome.

I thought he looked like an aligator in a swamp, but I can see SEAL too.

That would be an awesome placement in a front-yard water feature lol!
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:24 pm

I like wetgnome.

Alan's avatar is awesome!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:25 pm

I like the red hat Gnome. Partially because I have a storyline for the redhats and your character!

EVERYONE:

Please give me an initiative roll in THIS THREAD. I'll get the encounter started with the results. Let's rock!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:35 pm

Anchor Chain
    AC 18
    Hp 45
    Poison Resistance
    Passive perception 12

Initiative +2:
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20" :

14 +2=16

Last edited by navyik on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:16 pm

HP: 24
    AC: 15
    PP: 14
    Saves: CHA + WIS
    advantage vs charm, no sleep
    SPELL DC: 13

Derlyin initiative

Roll(1d20)+3:
    13,+3
    Total:16

Last edited by Chris on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Gaston initiative:
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +3" :

4 + 3 = 7

Matt, is stat block below avatar good, or do you want the same info copy pasted into each post?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:42 pm

Sethrovax
    AC 18
    Hp 36
    Acid Resistance
    Passive Perception 12
    Initiative:+1

Result of the throw of dice "1d20" : 15 +1=16
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Rip Tumblediver

AC 13
    HP 30
    Passive Perception 12

Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +1" :

14 + 1 = 15
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:37 pm

Josef909 wrote:

Matt, is stat block below avatar good, or do you want the same info copy pasted into each post?

I much prefer it included as part of your turn's first post. That way, it is easier to track anything with a timer (x rounds left, etc) and easier to spot the beginning of actions in the thread. This was sufficient for our purposes here, as I just needed the initiative roll to establish an order for the encounter we are about to begin.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Chris wrote:HP: 24
    AC: 15
    PP: 14
    Saves: CHA + WIS
    advantage vs charm, no sleep
    SPELL DC: 13

as a GM, it is super helpful to have stat blocks, esp with buff\debuffs running

it's 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other to c\p stat blocks or update your character sheet.  if you don't have any timers to track, you can just quote your last post and delete the action.  the stat block appears as a quote and the new action appears below it
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Ulric
    Roll(1d20)+2:
    16,+2
    Total:18

Initiative: 18
    AC: 18
    HP: 36
    saves: str. and con.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:13 pm

bounce

bounce

bounce

bounce
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:48 pm

Working the post now, been a rough weekend. Mother in law had a nasty fall, and now I am fighting some sort of GI bug. I'll have the thread posted within another hour or two, hang tight.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:46 pm

We are GO! Enter thread https://lodgestgaming.forumotion.com/t365-easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy

Lets keep posts on topic - this thread is for anything off topic.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:27 am

MAS wrote:Working the post now, been a rough weekend. Mother in law had a nasty fall, and now I am fighting some sort of GI bug. I'll have the thread posted within another hour or two, hang tight.

oh no! I hope she is ok and your tummy feels better
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:31 pm

carrying over from combat thread....

I am really looking forward to casting on the run, which isn't even an option in PF\3.x

what about talking during combat - can our character only talk during our own turn or can we speak out of turn?

for example, "you go this way now and I will go that way on my turn"
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Chris wrote:carrying over from combat thread....

I am really looking forward to casting on the run, which isn't even an option in PF\3.x

what about talking during combat - can our character only talk during our own turn or can we speak out of turn?

for example, "you go this way now and I will go that way on my turn"

You may only communicate during your turn.

From the PHB -

O t h e r A c t i v i t y o n Y o u r T u r n
    Your turn can include a variety o f flourishes that require
    neither your action nor your move.
    You can communicate however you are able, through
    brief utterances and gestures, as you take your turn.

You can also interact with one object or feature o f the
    environment for free, during either your move or your
    action. For example, you could open a door during your
    move as you stride toward a foe, or you could draw your
    weapon as part o f the same action you use to attack.
    If you want to interact with a second object, you need
    to use your action. Some magic items and other special
    objects always require an action to use, as stated
    in their descriptions.
    The DM might require you to use an action for any
    o f these activities w hen it needs special care or when it
    presents an unusual obstacle. For instance, the DM
    could reasonably expect you to use an action to open a
    stuck d oor or turn a crank to lower a drawbridge.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 pm

nice job GM on the double sized map!

you lined up the maps very nicely
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks! Powerpoint for the win!
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Friends! I submit for your approval the participation of a 7th member of our illustrious party. Many (if not all) know Mike Balderrama. He played dnd as a teen and is enamoured with the idea of PBP. I vouch for him, although that may not carry much weight as I’m a rookie here myself. Our wise and benevolent DM has declared he will abide by the ruling of the group as we are already quite boondoggled by the size of the party. If you are willing to welcome a wood elf ranger to the group respond here with a huzzah and we’ll work him into the mix. Thank you gentlemen.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:09 pm

Only if he dances for us...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:54 am