Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

4 posters

What is and Should Never Be

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    What is and Should Never Be Left_bar_bleue68/68What is and Should Never Be Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    What is and Should Never Be Left_bar_bleue0/0What is and Should Never Be Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

What is and Should Never Be Empty What is and Should Never Be

Post  navyik Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:02 am

The special Envoy from Merciania did, in fact arrive, but not yet with news of a betrothal. Instead, a betrayal!  Pleasantries continue, but once the party is back on the road home, the conversation takes a dark turn.

“You must play along for the good of the Kingdom. The King is in great peril. He has many ambitious enemies within his gates. During the war, the nation was unified. But now… His ministers intend to embarrass him upon your arrival! They aim to undermine public faith in his authority.”
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    What is and Should Never Be Left_bar_bleue19/19What is and Should Never Be Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    What is and Should Never Be Left_bar_bleue1/0What is and Should Never Be Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

What is and Should Never Be Empty Re: What is and Should Never Be

Post  whit10 Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:46 am

"BAH, ministers! What do ministers have planned for wise King?" Vasyli asks
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    What is and Should Never Be Left_bar_bleue68/68What is and Should Never Be Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    What is and Should Never Be Left_bar_bleue0/0What is and Should Never Be Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:14 pm

whit10 wrote:"BAH, ministers!  What do ministers have planned for wise King?"  Vasyli asks

“You are not from Merciania, so I will do my best to explain. We are a constitutional monarchy. The king has chief executive discretion but can be influenced, and in some historical examples coerced by his cabinet or Lords.

His Majesty had broad support during the war, but peace has brought on complacency in his supporters and entitlement among his more ambitious rivals. The Monarchy must appear both strong and gracious simultaneously to navigate this climate.

Marvin and Gor’Zax have  been summoned to testify at a hearing prompted by rumors in the highlands that they are rogue elements impersonating nobility and recruiting goblinoids to usurp the King. With Gor’Zax dead, Marvin must attend that hearing before suspicion and conspiracy theories can spread.”
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    What is and Should Never Be Left_bar_bleue35/35What is and Should Never Be Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:12 pm

What happened to Warhol?

What is and Should Never Be Qhu10

Qhu nods along during the diplomat's story.  In truth, he has no idea what this person is talking about.  His only concept of "government" is living within the Hive Mind as a slave.  

"Mother Brain would not have tolerated such foolishness..."  he mutters to himself
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:06 pm

Warhol is with the party now. Currently an NPC until further notice.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    What is and Should Never Be Left_bar_bleue30/30What is and Should Never Be Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:38 pm

Hey guys, sorry I've been MIA. Much thanks to Alan for stepping in when I dropped the ball. Now, on with the story...

Marvin's eyes grow wide at the thought of taking the stand in his own defense. "Me!? Stand trial!? I'll crumple like an empty burlap sack. I don't even know any goblinerds...err...goblinopers...what did you call them? Anyway, this is a terrible idea."
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    What is and Should Never Be Left_bar_bleue35/35What is and Should Never Be Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:56 pm

Qhu chimes in with his high-pitched voice, "I am most fascinated to see this tribunal in person. Any wrong-doings in the Colony were quickly sorted out. Mother Brain would just read everyone's mind and kill the troublemakers. Besides, you couldn't possibly be guilty of the accusations as you have been in the Underdark securing your King's alliance with the Dawi, killing a beholder and freeing an enslaved Illithid colony." A new thought occurs to Qhu which is immediately voiced as he has no real understanding of internal vs external speaking. Every thought was instantly heard by the collective mind in the Colony, "Oooh.... perhaps we will go on an adventure to discover the true rebellious rogues and clear your name. How exciting!"
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:58 pm

Whitey wrote:Hey guys, sorry I've been MIA. Much thanks to Alan for stepping in when I dropped the ball. Now, on with the story...

Marvin's eyes grow wide at the thought of taking the stand in his own defense. "Me!? Stand trial!? I'll crumple like an empty burlap sack. I don't even know any goblinerds...err...goblinopers...what did you call them? Anyway, this is a terrible idea."

“You only have to tell the truth. The Tribunal must find you to be loyal, and more importantly, obedient to the King.”

“Privately The King stands accused of tolerating impudence among his most trusted cohorts.”
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    What is and Should Never Be Left_bar_bleue19/19What is and Should Never Be Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    What is and Should Never Be Left_bar_bleue1/0What is and Should Never Be Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:58 pm

"Do not worry, little hero. Vasyli knows Marvin is honorable and will defend Marvin against anyone."
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:07 pm

“This must be handled delicately. And you, Marvin Vinmarvin, are His Majesty’s only hope. Whatever happens, the King must be able to make an unquestionable ruling in public. It must not be said that he has placed personal friendships over the best interests of the Nation.”
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:49 am

Something smells fishy to Qhu.  He psionically casts Detect Thoughts on the diplomat guy.

By using Sorc points, there are no verbal, somatic or material components, so there is nothing detectable that he is casting a spell at all.   It happens as he is sitting still and listening.

Detect Thoughts
    For the duration, you can read the thoughts of certain Creatures. When you cast the spell and as your action on each turn until the spell ends, you can focus your mind on any one creature that you can see within 30 feet of you. If the creature you choose has an Intelligence of 3 or lower or doesn't speak any language, the creature is unaffected.

You initially learn the surface thoughts of the creature - what is most on its mind in that moment. As an Action, you can either shift your attention to another creature's thoughts or attempt to probe deeper into the same creature's mind. If you probe deeper, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. If it fails, you gain Insight into its reasoning (if any), its emotional state, and something that looms large in its mind (such as something it worries over, loves, or hates). If it succeeds, the spell ends. Either way, the target knows that you are probing into its mind, and unless you shift your attention to another creature's thoughts, the creature can use its Action on its turn to make an Intelligence check contested by your Intelligence check if it succeeds, the spell ends.

Questions verbally directed at the target creature naturally shape the course of its thoughts, so this spell is particularly effective as part of an interrogation.

You can also use this spell to detect the presence of thinking Creatures you can't see. When you cast the spell or as your Action during the Duration, you can Search for thoughts within 30 feet of you. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 2 feet of rock, 2 inches of any metal other than lead, or a thin sheet of lead blocks you. You can't detect a creature with an Intelligence of 3 or lower or one that doesn't speak any Language.

Qhu innocently asks, "I am confused...  you have said this is about 3 different things now.  What's really going on here?"
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:18 pm

The Emissary gives a very subtle facepalm. I will give his surface thoughts in (parentheses) as he speaks.

(His Majesty was right, this will be difficult without the Turtle). “It is about many things. It’s politics as usual, but His Majesty must do what is just and not what is easy.” (I don’t understand why he is trying to save them. This would be so much easier if he would throw them under the carriage wheels and be done). “The court will attempt to force the King to choose between publicly tolerating sedition or admitting that he is a fool whose trusted cohorts work against him.” (Or worse to be a do-gooder that employs other do-gooders to do good).
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    What is and Should Never Be Left_bar_bleue30/30What is and Should Never Be Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:50 pm

“Me? Save the King!?” Marvin chuffs up a little at the thought of that. “Father and Uncle Vinny would be really proud of me…yeah, ok, I’ll do it…but what happens if we lose?”
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:55 pm

navyik wrote:The Emissary gives a very subtle facepalm. I will give his surface thoughts in (parentheses) as he speaks.

(His Majesty was right, this will be difficult without the Turtle). “It is about many things. It’s politics as usual, but His Majesty must do what is just and not what is easy.” (I don’t understand why he is trying to save them. This would be so much easier if he would throw them under the carriage wheels and be done). “The court will attempt to force the King to choose between publicly tolerating sedition or admitting that he is a fool whose trusted cohorts work against him.” (Or worse to be a do-gooder that employs other do-gooders to do good).

cheers well done!  I like how you handled that.  

Qhu feels right at home now.  This is how he is used to communicating.  Detect Thoughts only goes 1 way, so Qhu's (thoughts) are just in his own head, but I like the convention!

"(aha, the true villains are revealed!) I see... (time for a little butter) Thank you for your thoughtful explanation, Master Emissary.  (perhaps a dash of humor) This seems like a very complicated social dance for the King to perform.  I imagine many toes get stepped on,  figuratively speaking of course.  Ha ha.  (must work on my social humor, time for a bit more butter)  The King is lucky to have such a wise and patient advisor such as yourself."
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:30 pm

(If only you knew how unworthy I am). “I do what I must for the lesser evil.” (I suppose the King is right to save them. If I can serve him, anyone can). “Some men have large toes, Master Gnome. Marvin, you must be on time to Court.”

The emissary presents a summons document. “They are hoping that you will Flee. The King believes that you will not.” (This is all my fault. I should not have listened to the Prior).
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:54 pm

"Ha, great heroes never flee! Let us go." (Vasyli is actually starting to learn Common a bit better)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:11 am

study GM - quick clarification please:

where are we?
    how long will it take to get to court?
    how much time do we have to get there?

also - let me know when the emissary leaves our company
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:07 pm

You are 3 days from the Capital city and you are due there in 3 days.

(Zax would already have agreed to this). “Marvin, if you lose you must demonstrate your faith in the King by accepting his judgement. (If the King is clever it will be a creative sentence). Otherwise the King will be labeled as weak and the Kingdom will devolve into civil war. Your family will become scapegoats for both sides. The peace with other nations will be broken and our new alliances will crumble.” (Surface thoughts match his words verbatim).

“There is yet one hope,” (I will be exposed, but to hell with that). “You see…”

Suddenly there is the whinny of a horse and the emissary doubles over with a crossbow bolt sticking out of his neck!

Behind him, the curtain curls in the window. You see that the emissaries guards and horses have been slaughtered and you’re surrounded. 

Roll initiative!

Chris, can you put a grid on this?

What is and Should Never Be C1e1f0e5-7cd7-4906-a64e-fe3f7c2510c2

What is and Should Never Be 183e6685-8913-4768-8a08-24647dc25730
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:24 pm

Initiative for Vasyli:

Tue Mar 28 2023 20:24:31 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 1 to total : 10, + 1, TOTAL: 11

Tue Mar 28 2023 20:24:29 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 1 to total : 19, + 1, TOTAL: 20

taking the 20

stat block

AC: 23/ +2 Full Plate Armor, +1 Shield
    HP: 91
    Movement: 30’
    Initiative: +1 w/ advantage
    Passive Perception: 15
    Saves: Int. +9, Con. +7, Str +2, Dex and Wis +1, Cha -1
    Flash of Genius: +5 to any ability check or save (including allies within 30’)/ 5 uses
    Shatter stored in Armor – 10 uses
    Spell Refueling Ring – Unused
    Mind Sharpener Robes – 4 charges
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:45 pm

@Alan - the images are broken, if you look at the post it just shows a bunch of numbers. either try to repost or just email them to me or text or carrier pigeon
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:27 am

Marvin Initiative:
    Wed Mar 29 2023 00:26:23 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 10 to total : 5, + 10, TOTAL: 15

Wed Mar 29 2023 00:26:22 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 10 to total : 20, + 10, TOTAL: 30

That’ll do.
    Stat Block

HP:78/78
    AC: 20
    Attacks: 2
    PP: 15

Saves:
    STR +5
    DEX +9
    CON +1
    INT +1
    WIS +3
    CHR +1

Spell Save: 15
    Spell Attack: +6
    Spell Slots:
    1st: 4/4
    2nd: 2/2

Arrows: 34/34
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:56 am

initiative

Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +1" :

18 + 1 = 19

dang, I forgot to cast Gift of Alacrity for everyone, ooops. next time

Chris wrote:QHU's STAT BLOCK

HP: 79/79
    AC:  20
    PP: 15
    Sorc pts: 9/9
    saves:  Cha +9  Con +7, ADV concentration, ADV all Int\Wis\Cha
    resistant to psychic dmg
    Spell DC = 8+cha+prof+1 = 18

Sorcerer Spell slots
    4/4
    2/3
    3/3
    3/3
    1/1

Warlock spell slots
    2/2
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:14 pm

Sorry guys. I’m on my way to an innocence project training. I’m going to be a police academy trainer. Illinois now requires every cadet to go through wrongful convictions awareness training.

I will get the map stuff to Chris and get situated over the weekend so the battle may resume Sunday night or Monday morning.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:52 pm

navyik wrote:Sorry guys. I’m on my way to an innocence project training. I’m going to be a police academy trainer. Illinois now requires every cadet to go through wrongful convictions awareness training.

I will get the map stuff to Chris and get situated over the weekend so the battle may resume Sunday night or Monday morning.

wow, very cool! good for you and the State of IL cheers
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:43 pm

all good bro! Good for you and IL! (to parrot Chris)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:13 pm

@GM Alan

something like this?

let me know where you want the baddies

What is and Should Never Be Alan_m10

What is and Should Never Be Alan110
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:36 pm

baddies added, let me know if you want any adjustments

What is and Should Never Be Alan_m11
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:18 pm

Initiative:

30 Marvin
    20. Vasily
    19. Qhu

16. Assassins!

Everyone makes perception checks.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:46 am

Marvin's Perception:

Tue Apr 04 2023 22:28:32 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 10 to total : 5, + 10, TOTAL: 15

IF that has no bearing on his turn:

Marvin will use his Bonus Action to Disengage from the chump that appeared in his face, then tumble out of the wagon and move to H-14 (DM let me know if that movement doesn't work) drawing his bow and knocking and arrow as he does so.

He'll snap off a shot a the assassin at E-16, with ADV since the assassin hasn't had a turn yet:

Tue Apr 04 2023 22:32:16 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 12 to total : 17, + 12, TOTAL: 29

Tue Apr 04 2023 22:32:16 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 12 to total : 15, + 12, TOTAL: 27

Assuming that's a hit. Damage, w/ Sneak Attack:
    Tue Apr 04 2023 22:34:31 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 3d6 + 7 to total : 3, 2, 2, + 7, TOTAL: 14 (Piercing)
    Rolling line 2 : 1d4 + 0 to total : 1, TOTAL: 1 (Acid)

Marvin will also unleash his newfound Arcane Archery powers, something he picked up along the way during the adventure in the Underdark:

Grasping Arrow. When this arrow strikes its target, conjuration magic creates grasping, poisonous brambles, which wrap around the target. The creature hit by the arrow takes an extra 2d6 poison damage, its speed is reduced by 10 feet, and it takes 2d6 slashing damage the first time on each turn it moves 1 foot or more without teleporting. The target or any creature that can reach it can use its action to remove the brambles with a successful Strength (Athletics) check against your Arcane Shot save DC. Otherwise, the brambles last for 1 minute or until you use this option again.

Damage:
    Tue Apr 04 2023 22:36:23 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 2d6 + 0 to total : 3, 2, TOTAL: 5 (Poison)
    Strength Save DC 13 to remove the brambles

Marvin will feather him with another arrow for good measure, still with ADV:

Tue Apr 04 2023 22:43:33 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 12 to total : 2, + 12, TOTAL: 14

Tue Apr 04 2023 22:43:33 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 12 to total : 3, + 12, TOTAL: 15

Oof. On the chance that's a hit, Damage with Colossus Slayer:

Tue Apr 04 2023 22:44:51 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d6 + 7 to total : 3, + 7, TOTAL: 10 (piercing)
    Rolling line 2 : 1d8 + 0 to total : 3, TOTAL: 3 (piercing)
    Rolling line 3 : 1d4 + 0 to total : 3, TOTAL: 3 (acid)

27 piercing, 3 acid, 5 poison: 35 total

That's about all Marvin can do this turn.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:45 am

Perception

Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +9" :

20 + 9 = 29

lol!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:21 am

Vasyli's perception:

Wed Apr 05 2023 08:21:46 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 5 to total : 17, + 5, TOTAL: 22
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:52 pm

Before exiting the carriage, Marvin notes that melee combat has taken place on the front of the carriage near the driver. It was quiet and it has ended. He also notes that the carriage listed briefly before stopping and that the front suspension has sagged.

Does Marvin want to continue his action as stated?

Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:26 pm

Sure, proceed as written.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:23 pm

Marvin is sure he saw where those baddies were when he glanced out the carriage window, but he was wrong. The baddie he is after is at I-16 in the bush.

Rolling "1d20 +6" 2 times

1: 16 + 6 = 22
    2: 11 + 6 = 17

Result of the throw of dice "5d6 +3" :

4 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 2 + 3 = 21

Marvin takes 21 piercing damage and must make a Con save. I believe Marvin can continue with his turn and still change what he’s doing past this point.

Vasily saw the guy disappear and heard a rustling in the bush. Qhu knows where everyone is.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:31 pm

So, was that an attack of opportunity? If so, Marvin started his turn with Disengage as a bonus action:

“Disengage

If you take the Disengage action, your movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks for the rest of the turn.”

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:19 pm

It’s a readied action to attack the first person to come out the door.

But apparently Marvin can continue moving without provoking an opportunity attack.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:38 pm

So they readied the action during a Surprise round? Marvin is immune to Surprise.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:07 am

Okay, so Marvin gets a turn during the surprise round. Not sure how initiative works on that since nobody heard the creepers creeping until they struck.

I’m not a very good rules lawyer but I will try to correct things that would rob characters of the use of their special abilities. Otherwise I really need y’all to pick your battles because I barely have the energy to wing it here. We’ll get bogged down. My DM style is a bit fast and loose as a benevolent tyrant.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:29 am

Totally understandable bro. I couldn’t carve out the time to DM so I appreciate you making the effort to do so.

How bout this: For Marvin’s Surprise round turn he will use his action to Disengage and his bonus action to Dodge. That would negate any AoO and cause the baddie in the bush to miss (assuming he keeps the same rolls at DISADV).  Marvin’s attack and movement remain the same on his turn at the top of Initiative and he still has a bonus action.

Assuming that’s all cool, Marvin will use that bonus action to cast Hunters Mark and place it on the baddie in the bush if he’s still alive. If not, move it to the baddie at M-9
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:46 am

The surprise rules suck for dealing with a readied ambush.  It isn't logical and immunity to surprise breaks the whole idea if you use RAW rules.  It ends up something like a spidey-sense that lets him react to a threat he didn't even see.  

However, if he didn't see the baddie that shot, then the baddie gets ADV for being "unseen" which negates the Dodge action benefit and he still gets hit.  

I need Marvin's final position and whether he took damage (to update the initiative chart to track combat).  If it is a surprise round, Vasily and Qhu get skipped, so its the Ass's turn anyways. He can just shoot instead of ready

What is and Should Never Be 47a3bb10

also just a thought....  back in my day, we didn't use maps or minis.  combat was done in the "theater of the mind".  We could try it and it might even fit Alan's GM style better.

"You are ambushed in the wagon.  There is one enemy on the wagon and 3 surrounding you, each is 30ft away in different directions."  

Alan would need to keep track of the mental map in his head like a chess game though, since we will surely be asking "can I...." every round.  But its potentially not slower than this already.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:44 pm

Just to say it, the Helm of Awareness that Vasyli has also makes him immune to surprise.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:47 pm

The ability conflicts with the initiative rules. The opportunity to (not) be surprised doesn’t occur until the enemies action. But Marvin and V both go before the enemy. Marvin and V can’t go after the enemy because there’s no delayed action in 5e. So they are not surprised but they waived their actions by default due to the unique parameters of the initiative in the scenario. It’s an odd paradox in the game mechanic, but I think that is the RAW.

To move along, everyone who can’t be surprised should roll a retcon perception check at disadvantage to notice the Assassins further away before they struck. I really don’t give a crap about RAW, so if you succeed you can “ready” an action.

Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:53 am

Retcon perception:
    Fri Apr 07 2023 05:53:30 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 10 to total : 8, + 10, TOTAL: 18

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:39 am

navyik wrote:
    I really don’t give a crap about RAW

ok, that's fine. I won't bother trying to help with rules or argue. If you say something is one way or you describe an action that occurs.... that is what it is, unless it deprives a character of a unique ability, in which case we can mention it for your further review.

In all honesty, anything you house-rule won't be any more broken than the hot mess that 5e already is lol!

old school cheers
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:15 am

Vasyli's retcon Perception:

Fri Apr 07 2023 08:14:50 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 5 to total : 13, + 5, TOTAL: 18

Fri Apr 07 2023 08:14:49 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 5 to total :10, + 5, TOTAL: 15

I guess that's a 15 for V then
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:21 am

So, Marvin senses something wrong and is able to act preemptively one round earlier. He has no tactical position knowledge unless he searches but he does know something is up. The Assasin’s actions are not set in stone and may behave differently depending upon how Marvin affects them.

V is not surprised but he doesn’t know anything is up yet.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:57 am

Marvin will draw his bow and nock an arrow and move to the rear of the wagon. he’ll peer out in an attempt to identify the danger. If an enemy presents itself he will ready an action to fire upon it.

I guess another Perception roll?

Sat Apr 08 2023 04:56:42 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 10 to total : 16, + 10, TOTAL: 26

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:36 pm

Marvin applies the original perception check here from before the retcon here.

The Emissary sees Marvin’s abrupt exit. “No, no , no!” He starts out after Marvin and thump. The crossbow bolt splits his forehead. All of the same internal monologue from before applies for Qhu.

Marvin doesn’t see the attacker until the whistle of the bolt gives away his position at M-9. Marvin can react.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:53 pm

Very good. Marvin will let fly at the assassin at M-9 w/ ADV;

Sun Apr 09 2023 19:48:03 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 12 to total : 2, + 12, TOTAL: 14

Sun Apr 09 2023 19:48:03 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 12 to total : 6, + 12, TOTAL: 18

Gross. Assuming 18 hits:
    Damage, w Sneak Attack :

Sun Apr 09 2023 19:49:53 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 3d6 + 7 to total : 5, 4, 6, + 7, TOTAL: 22
    Rolling line 2 : 1d4 + 0 to total : 4, TOTAL: 4

Marvin will ask invoke his Arcane Shot, same as previous:

Grasping Arrow. When this arrow strikes its target, conjuration magic creates grasping, poisonous brambles, which wrap around the target. The creature hit by the arrow takes an extra 2d6 poison damage, its speed is reduced by 10 feet, and it takes 2d6 slashing damage the first time on each turn it moves 1 foot or more without teleporting. The target or any creature that can reach it can use its action to remove the brambles with a successful Strength (Athletics) check against your Arcane Shot save DC. Otherwise, the brambles last for 1 minute or until you use this option again. Arrow. When this arrow strikes its target, conjuration magic creates grasping, poisonous brambles, which wrap around the target. The creature hit by the arrow takes an extra 2d6 poison damage, its speed is reduced by 10 feet, and it takes 2d6 slashing damage the first time on each turn it moves 1 foot or more without teleporting. The target or any creature that can reach it can use its action to remove the brambles with a successful Strength (Athletics) check against your Arcane Shot save DC. Otherwise, the brambles last for 1 minute or until you use this option again.

Sun Apr 09 2023 19:52:51 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
    Rolling line 1 : 2d6 + 0 to total : 1, 6, TOTAL: 7

Str save DC 13.

Marvin’s done w/ surprise round
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:10 pm

I moved Marvin to the rear of the wagon.  Let me know if any other positions need adjustment.  I admit that I haven't been following all the retcons very closely since it didn't really involve Qhu.

What is and Should Never Be Alan_m12

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:29 pm