Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

5 posters

discussion and house keeping page

Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue30/30discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0/0discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty Re: discussion and house keeping page

Post  Whitey Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:08 pm

I read some of the media about this issue and it sure does seem like a cash grab. Curious as to how this affects the release of the movie in a couple of months.

Anyways, I’m not opposed to moving away from 5e, but frankly don’t have the time or inclination to learn a new system to the level of detail that DMing requires. If the group wants to make an immediate jump to another system I’m fine to learn it as a player and would abdicate my turn as next DM.

That being said, I’ve got the storyline mostly set in my head for the next chapter in the current world/system for whenever we’re done with Chris’, so happy to stay the course and take over when it’s time.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue35/35discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0/0discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty Re: discussion and house keeping page

Post  Chris Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:24 pm

Whitey wrote:I read some of the media about this issue and it sure does seem like a cash grab. Curious as to how this affects the release of the movie in a couple of months.

Anyways, I’m not opposed to moving away from 5e, but frankly don’t have the time or inclination to learn a new system to the level of detail that DMing requires. If the group wants to make an immediate jump to another system I’m fine to learn it as a player and would abdicate my turn as next DM.

That being said, I’ve got the storyline mostly set in my head for the next chapter in the current world/system for whenever we’re done with Chris’, so happy to stay the course and take over when it’s time.

I am finished after this fight and a bit of wrap up with your stubby buddies. I agree that we should continue 5e for now since we are in the middle of playing a great campaign.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue68/68discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:25 am

I’m down for continuing this campaign so Chris gets a break. Looking forward to the round robin DM to continue. I have some ideas and am looking into a PowerPoint phone app that will make me a better DM when it’s my turn.

We should start researching the new system in the meantime.  What’s out there for previewing?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue35/35discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:19 pm

Hey all mighty minds, I need some advice and help.  I am looking at creating a custom playable race package for a Mindflayer.   There are a LOT of them online but to be honest, most feel too powerful when I look at them.

I am more basing it off "Detect Balace" spreadsheet of racial abilities which has a "point cost" per ability.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=872807765

I want the race to have the "suck brains" to eat part of the monster, so Dhamphir Vampiric bite is a good one to reflavor.  I was thinking of reskinning Dragonborn breath weapon to a mind blast, but he doesn't really need it.  Mindflayers are pretty resistant to magic but the Yuanti racial ability is generally considered broken\OP, gnome cunning is close but more balanced.

Here is what I was thinking:

race points - ability

8 - ASI +2
    4 - ASI +1
    3 - Darkvision 60ft
    7 - gnome cunning
    5-7? - dhamphir vampiric bite *see below
    *2 - skill prof  (Investigation)
    1 - language  (Deep Speech)

30 pts is right inline with elves, dwarves, 1/2 elves etc.   variant humans are 33

Detect Balance doesn't list vampiric bite, so I started with the 3pt lizard bite, took out part of the vampiric bite to add to attack roll\ability check, then still added +2 pts to 5 since it heals a bit more and can be used prof times per day, but is limited to exclude undead and constructs.

Vampiric Bite.   (5)
    Your fanged bite is a natural weapon, which counts as a simple melee weapon with which you are proficient. You add your Constitution modifier, instead of your Strength modifier, to the attack and damage rolls when you attack with this bite. It deals 1d4 piercing damage on a hit. While you are missing half or more of your hit points, you have advantage on attack rolls you make with this bite.
    When you attack with this bite and hit a creature that isn’t a Construct or an Undead, you can empower yourself in one of the following ways of your choice:
    You regain hit points equal to the piercing damage dealt by the bite.
    You gain a bonus to the next ability check or attack roll you make; the bonus equals the piercing damage dealt by the bite.
    You can empower yourself with this bite a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Hungry Jaws.  (3)
    In battle, you can throw yourself into a vicious feeding frenzy. As a bonus action, you can make a special attack with your bite. If the attack hits, it deals its normal damage, and you gain temporary hit points (minimum of 1) equal to your Constitution modifier, and you can't use this trait again until you finish a short or long rest.
    You gain a bonus to the next ability check or attack roll you make; the bonus equals the piercing damage dealt by the bite.

other examples just for comparison

halfling Luck 5pts
    Tiefling magic 6pts
    Bugbear Reach 6pts
    Zax's racial teleport 6pts

If you think its better than those, I would fine bumping it up to 6 or even 7 pts.  I would just drop the skill prof, which I mostly took as a filler since most races get one.  But I don't really care and would happily put those 2 points into the bite.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:25 pm

navyik wrote:I’m down for continuing this campaign so Chris gets a break. Looking forward to the round robin DM to continue. I have some ideas and am looking into a PowerPoint phone app that will make me a better DM when it’s my turn.

We should start researching the new system in the meantime.  What’s out there for previewing?

Pathfinder 2e has been done for years and is very polished

Kobold Press is coming out with their own system.  They have TONS of homebrew 5e content, including their own custom world with races, subclasses, etc.  I would expect their rules to be very similar to 5e with improvements google "Midgard" they have hardcover books, campaigns, PHBs, DMG, monster manuals, etc

Critical Roll might be coming out with their own system

There is another one I saw on youtube d20 or dc20, something like that.  another homebrew content creator similar to KP but smaller scale.

I suspect by GenCon this summer we will see multiple new systems under Paizo's (pathfinder)   ORC  Open Roleplaying Creative license

they already have 1500 publishers on board!

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2023/01/more-than-1500-publishers-sign-on-to-the-orc-license.html
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:11 pm

And no, he is not going to be biting people all the time. If I wanted to do that, I would have made a Dhampir Monk Wink

but remember, Mindflayers must eat brains to live - it is there food. He does have some of the brain mushrooms, but its as much for roleplaying purposes as it is to recover a few HP after a fight sometimes or if he gets grappled or something

maybe he gets a quick flood of their life memories or surface thoughts when he drinks the brain soup? that would be kinda fun, in a creepy way
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue30/30discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:20 pm

I don’t see an issue with the Vampiric bite ability with one addition: the victim must be alive at the time of the bite.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:23 pm

Waiting on some source material from Josh and then I’ll get the next chapter moving. I’ve seen the magic item requests and we’ll deal with that during the prologue.

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:26 pm

Whitey wrote:I don’t see an issue with the Vampiric bite ability with one addition: the victim must be alive at the time of the bite.

lol! yeah, for sure. no dead brains.... ewwww.... cold and congealed synaptic fluid. yuck
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:33 pm

Whitey wrote:Waiting on some source material from Josh and then I’ll get the next chapter moving. I’ve seen the magic item requests and we’ll deal with that during the prologue.

I adjusted Qhu's character page adding the racial package, dropping MM adept feat, etc

I think I am ready to go now. Sorry for the delay.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue19/19discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue1/0discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:37 pm

ok, I'll just throw this open to the group...

I cannot decide between continuing to play Vasyli and playing a Rune Knight instead (Lizard folk)... I like Vasyli and he is dead-useful in most situations. But after I researched the Rune Knight as a Lizard Folk... damn, that is one killing machine with some very cool additional powers.

Any thoughts?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue68/68discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:06 pm

Might be your last chance to goof around with a new 5e idea…
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue19/19discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue1/0discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:05 pm

yeah, I decided you were right Alan. He's up on my character page if anyone wants to look it over.

While we are on the subject. The Amulet of Absorption is up for grabs since Vasyli is done for now and it's a great magic item. Marin can't use it so Chris and Alan - you can decide who wants it
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:21 pm

whit10 wrote:yeah, I decided you were right Alan. He's up on my character page if anyone wants to look it over.

While we are on the subject. The Amulet of Absorption is up for grabs since Vasyli is done for now and it's a great magic item. Marin can't use it so Chris and Alan - you can decide who wants it

Your knight looks bada$$.

Warhol doesn’t have room to attune more items but thanks.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:33 pm

Sure, Qhu would take it.  That really helps him a lot.
    Thanks!!

I saw an arcane scroll w levitate, alarm and knock

Qhu grabbed that since nobody else can use it

Also, swapped a couple redundant combat spells for more utility

1st
    Tasha's hideous laughter for gift of alacrity
    2nd
    Hold person for detect thoughts
    tasha's mind whip for suggestion
    3rd
    Something for Tongues (already forgot, lol)
    4th
    sickening radiance for polymorph

Last edited by Chris on Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:36 pm

Vasyli is going to leave the belt of useful items behind when he leaves for home.  Unless there is an objection, I'd like to have that for Marin.  He only has magic armor and his sword for now.  That ok?

and thanks for the compliments!
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:47 pm

No objections from the DM.

Prologue will be posted later this evening
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:44 pm

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:30 pm

While GM is in vacation.... Josh and Alan, would you be up for a VERY early playtest of my new system.  It is very much a work in progress.

Quick preview here

https://lodgestgaming.forumotion.com/t480-roll-the-bones#31667

I am thinking 1 short encounter, 2 characters each, just to test some mechanics, namely the Resolve system.  I will get more posted as I have other notes.  I have been chatting with Matt about it too.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:55 pm

hey all,

I just found this 5e 3rd party revision called LevelUP. I don't like everything and some of it seems overly complicated, but there are a few things that seem really smart.

Take a look at this GM encounter building page, especially compared to the lack of a functioning CR system in 5e.

https://a5e.tools/rules/designing-encounters

Looking at the "maximum CR" table and encounter budget, I have to say, that is almost spot-on to what I was using in my head recently. CR 15 Beholder is the max CR suggested for 10th level and equals a hard fight... seems about right! The encounter budget also helps figure out how many encounters a party can handle depending on their level and the challenge before needing a long rest.

This is one of my bigger complaints about 5e as a GM.

the entire website and core rules are free

https://a5e.tools/rules/origin

the website takes a little getting used to but the best way to navigate are the drop down menus under the main banner
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:04 pm

https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/one-dnd/druid-paladin/PXoa3UgywnZbwc9U/UA-2023-DruidandPaladin.pdf?icid_source=house-ads&icid_medium=crosspromo&icid_campaign=playtest4

new UA for druids and paladins.  

spoiler alert - wild shape got the nerf hammer big time and Paladins get lightsabers

3RD LEVEL: SACRED WEAPON
    As a Bonus Action, you can expend one use of
    your Channel Divinity to imbue one Simple or
    Martial weapon that you are holding with
    positive energy. For 1 minute, you add your
    Charisma modifier to attack rolls you make with
    that weapon (minimum bonus of +1), and each
    time you hit with it, you cause it to deal its
    normal damage type or Radiant damage.
    The weapon also emits bright light in a 20-foot
    radius and dim light 20 feet beyond that.
    You can end this effect as a Bonus Action. This
    effect also ends if you aren’t holding or carrying
    the weapon or if you have the Incapacitated
    condition.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:27 am

AI fixes dialogue in a New Hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em0dX_G5IHA
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:20 pm

oh good grief! lol

Should snuck something in there about "now Luke, I know you're going to lust after your sister but that's just not right."
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:40 pm

Chris wrote:

spoiler alert - wild shape got the nerf hammer big time and Paladins get lightsabers.

Jeez! Wild shape has gotten nerfed every update after 3.0 🤬
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:04 am

hey guys, I'm having breakfast with Mike on Thursday. We'll get things figured out and moving again somehow, even if I have to take over and run a different chapter. I don't want this campaign to die. Mike had a crazy project that he had to put a lot of overtime in on that JUST got wrapped up (at least I think it did). This isn't over yet Very Happy
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:30 am

I am still on vacation for a couple days, so no pressure for me
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:50 am

Okay. Thanks.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:43 am

We are home. Any update?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:05 pm

Ok, in speaking with Mike the other day, it seems like we are going to have to shift gears here. Mike is going to be travelling a lot for the next two weeks or more. What I propose is this: I can run a new chapter that is sort of a "filler" for now. That way, Mike and Alan can decide who is going to take over after that. This will also allow me to resolve a personal issue with my character that I'm playing (in all honesty, I want Vasyli back as I just don't really like the crusher I made... he's just too 1 dimensional for my taste)

Does that sound acceptable?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:32 pm

That sounds good to me.  

Are you picking up from where Mike left off in the cold area or are we just doing a quick retcon back to the end of my chapter?

If the latter, that would make setting up a different direction easier, imho.  
    No lizardman, Vasyli is still there, no letter from the king to pick up the dowry, etc etc

Last edited by Chris on Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:19 pm

at this point, retcon but I want to see what Mike and Alan have to say
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:05 pm

I need to find a good PowerPoint option I can use with my phone. I tried one that seems clunky. I will investigate this week with the goal of being ready to DM. I need to know whether any original characters from the Kings court will be involved as my idea revolved around that political climate. Otherwise I need to go a different direction.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:18 pm

navyik wrote:I need to find a good PowerPoint option I can use with my phone. I tried one that seems clunky. I will investigate this week with the goal of being ready to DM. I need to know whether any original characters from the Kings court will be involved as my idea revolved around that political climate. Otherwise I need to go a different direction.

I actually had a thought about how to bring Zax back, if that helps you as DM.

The Echo Knight fighter summons an "echo" of itself which can move, attack, teleport, etc. Since his body was disintegrated, his spirit was bound to another servant of the Raven Queen instead of passing to the afterlife. The Echo would look like Gor'Zax. The 'host' body could be any number of options like a Reborn (undead\frankenstien) race or a Warforged to make it also Zax. Or it could be a separate humanoid that is also a servant of the RQ and just has Zax's echo bound to its service.

It multiclasses really well with the Ancestral Barbarian that can summon ancestor spirits, which could also be echoes of Zax or could be shades of other former servants.

I am also fine continuing the mindflayer sorcerer, but it wasn't an OG character, so I understand if it is easier to bring Zax back and I am willing to help.

Alternately.... this is also clunky, but just to offer, I would be willing to be your cartographer and run the combat maps in PP. If you send me the background map, I can make a grid and move the pieces around for you. That frees you up to just be the GM and not worry about technology issues.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:38 pm

Ok Alan, no worries. I will be playing Vasyli as I just don't like the Rune Knight very much. Yeah he does a ton of damage, but he's just too boring (and Vasyli is his own kind of 'tank' anyway).
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:37 pm

I want everyone to play the character that they want to play. I just need to know before we start.

I want to try to manipulate the board, but if Chris is willing to bail me out or take over when necessary that would be great.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:32 pm

The GM controlling the board is ideal, no doubt. I am happy to assist only as needed.

The party when I GM'd was really well balanced:

V = Front line tank with some ranged dmg options and self sufficiency (Temp HP, healing, buffs)

M = Ranged damage with support options (rogue skills, CC, healing)

W = Support\healer\caster with flexible options via summoning

Q = Support caster (CC) with ranged dmg options and charisma skills\spells

I think my Sorcerer can mostly fill the same role as the Druid minus the healing. V can heal himself and M has some minor healing support too.

We might be short on healing...
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:18 pm

wasn't there a decent amount of healing potions that were part of loot?

Vasyli has Healing and Lesser Restoration.  Not terrible

Time for Chris to play a Pally? lol
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:06 am

whit10 wrote:
    Time for Chris to play a Pally?  lol

"Don't tempt me, Frodo. Understand, I would play a Pally from a desire to do good, but THROUGH me, it would a power too great and terrible."

bounce Alan, any update?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:15 pm

Oh, am I starting next?

Hey, Josh, did you ask me for my email address or did a hacker get your phone number?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:57 pm

navyik wrote:Oh, am I starting next?

Hey, Josh, did you ask me for my email address or did a hacker get your phone number?

uh.... I think that's what we all assumed based on your posts and all the back and forth about who was playing what characters drunken

navyik wrote:I need to find a good PowerPoint option I can use with my phone. I tried one that seems clunky. I will investigate this week with the goal of being ready to DM. I need to know whether any original characters from the Kings court will be involved as my idea revolved around that political climate. Otherwise I need to go a different direction.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:53 pm

Sorry. It’s never easy. Got sucked into spring cleaning and entertaining a traveling colleague.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:58 pm

that was me Alan. The email will come this weekend. It's not gaming related. Smile

As for you starting next... that was my impression as well but if you aren't ready for a bit, just say the word and I'll come up with a filler chapter.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:17 pm

I would also run a Pathfinder 2e adventure, but I am done running 5e. I am more than happy to play 5e, no issues there, but PF2e is so much more GM-friendly.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:05 am

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:40 pm

navyik wrote:Proceed to:

What is and Should Never Be

https://lodgestgaming.forumotion.com/t486-what-is-and-should-never-be

wow, when you decide to move, you go!  cheers

a couple quick questions issues for new GM:

1) Since I haven't really played him yet, are you ok with a quick racial swap?  Mind Flayer as a race just has so many issues that I am not sure are worth dealing with for either of us.   Taking a quick look at races, I would just switch him to a Deep Gnome

http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/lineage:deep-gnome

He already has the gnomish resistances, he would get the disguise self spell (which he used in the story), darkvision, etc,  so its basically a perfect match minus the bite and other issues.  

He was still with Whisp and Haywire and just a slave of the colony, not a member.  

1.5)  I guess another option is that he is NOT Qhu, so the story stays consistent.  I could just play the same character but as a Deep Gnome who was freed from the colony when the party killed the elder brain.  Then he isn't Qhu, so there are no issues.  (see 2)

2)  Either way you decide on (1), I want to eliminate the "he can't speak common" schtick from my story.  It was fine as a story element, but it will make regular interactions very hard (Mike was right), especially since he is the Face of the group with his CHA.  If that helps you decide (1), that's fine too.  

3)  What about the cloak he received from GM Mike?  It blocks telepathy and grants ADV on Concentration checks.  So it is very useful and powerful for him, but I totally understand if you want to do your own thing with items.  And since this is a retcon to the start, he probably wouldn't have it.  just let me know...

After those are decided, I am ready to go!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:02 pm

I’m good with that. I just need one original character to connect in.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:09 pm

navyik wrote:I’m good with that. I just need one original character to connect in.

done

Qhu has been updated to a svirfneblin

discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Qhu10

what about the Cowl of the Mind? I just want to adjust the character sheet if I am removing it, so I don't forget later
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:13 pm

Chris wrote:
    navyik wrote:I’m good with that. I just need one original character to connect in.

done

Qhu has been updated to a svirfneblin

discussion and house keeping page - Page 4 Qhu10

what about the Cowl of the Mind?  I just want to adjust the character sheet if I am removing it, so I don't forget later

Does the cowl still help him with something?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:17 pm

Adv on concentration checks is always helpful!

He still has telepathy as an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer. Telepathy blocking is still useful and I still like the idea of him being 'overloaded' by large amounts of mental chatter

he still lived in the Hive Mind for basically all of his life
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:18 pm

@Josh - I LOVE the new Dr. Doom avatar for Vasily!!

great update and very fitting cheers

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:12 am