Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

4 posters

distant rumblings

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    distant rumblings - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue35/35distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    distant rumblings - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue0/0distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty Re: distant rumblings

Post  Chris Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:01 pm

navyik wrote:
    Stop using second wind out of combat.  The aura is still present and can still heal.  Basketball

60/67

well..... actually, it regenerates on a short rest, which we can usually take after each fight when not in a dungeon crawl, whereas your spells require a long rest to restore Wink

body rob the enemies! (sharing with the dwarves of course)
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    distant rumblings - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue68/68distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    distant rumblings - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue0/0distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:16 pm

Chris wrote:
    navyik wrote:
    Stop using second wind out of combat.  The aura is still present and can still heal.  Basketball

60/67

well..... actually, it regenerates on a short rest, which we can usually take after each fight when not in a dungeon crawl, whereas your spells require a long rest to restore  Wink

body rob the enemies!  (sharing with the dwarves of course)

Good point

Warhol gives Zax 7 good berries. “Eat up boss.”
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    distant rumblings - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue35/35distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:58 pm

"Glory to you and to your berry smoothies!"

67\67

body rob, then short rest cheers
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    distant rumblings - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue30/30distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:52 pm

“Hey Warhol! Thanks! I’m feeling MUCH better!” Marvin will guide Chopper over to join the canine pack and also see if he can Investigate the site for any clues as to the witch’s teleport trick:
    Thu Aug 11 2022 16:51:59 GMT-0600 (MDT)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 5 to total : 7, + 5, TOTAL: 12

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    distant rumblings - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue19/19distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    distant rumblings - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue1/0distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:05 pm

so glad there are forums for this stuff online... the way the MM is worded, the Evil Eye can't be removed with Remove Curse... but according to the forums it can. So that's what we are going with. Marvin is no longer deformed.

More to come tonight. I have to do a canvas for an insurance case
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:43 pm

Awww.... I didn't even get a chance to call him Mangled Marvin or the Hobbled Hobbit
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    distant rumblings - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue19/19distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    distant rumblings - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue1/0distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:46 pm

Chris wrote:Awww.... I didn't even get a chance to call him Mangled Marvin or the Hobbled Hobbit

lol... you card you

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:00 pm

Ok, thing settle down somewhat.  The Earl is taken to his bedchamber by his attendants. His remaining warriors take out the dead retainers and Brock goes to the Earl's chambers after he sees that you are all ok.

He comes back after only a few minutes with a very somber look.

"The Earl is dead. We tried to heal him but the shock of that curse was too much for him in his advanced age."

He tells one of the surviving dwarf warriors to ride to King Arcadius to report what has happened. (He can carry anything the party needs him to take)

He then leads you down into the bowels of the great hall. There is a mass of scrolls and maps there.  He selects one and then goes to the party.

“These were made long ago, during King Thorgren’s reign, over 350 years ago. I must avenge the Earl.”

He opens a map and exhales… “long ago, before we were part of the Kingdom of Merciana, my ancestors fought a terrible evil. A demon of the netherworld. It was then that my order was first created (the Guardians – Paladin of Vengeance). According to what’s left of the chronicle, the temple that was used to allow this demon into our world was destroyed.

However, I think that something has risen there… the chronicle also mentions that a warlock of great power was involved. One that looked like the woman we saw; the horns and tail are mentioned.  Now, this map is quite old and it’s not necessarily accurate. But I believe we should investigate this. This isn’t the mountain dwarves of Koloth… they helped us fight the demon centuries ago. That Warlock was slain, but this witch that keeps being mentioned could easily be in league with the same powers.”

He still looks rather despondent after all of this.

"The Earl has a son, he is currently riding with some of our cavalry up north to investigate other attacks. I have already dispatched someone with the news of what has happened and that he needs to come here with due haste."

(before the GM forgets, you have all gained a level... not your fault that the enemies didn't do as well as they should have) go ahead and level up. It's raining cats and dogs outside, so travel right now might be difficult)

In addition; the giants had some loot on them:

2 Potions of Healing, Potion of Greater Healing in another iron box
    2000 silver, 680 gold; 3 religious/art objects and vestments – worth 250 gold a piece - all from temples of Thuenor
    a fine Short Sword, a wand and some gauntlets
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:30 pm

Zax listens carefully to Guardian Brock. "Wisdom to you and honor to your order. Our duty is to protect the realm of our kingdom. We can investigate this ancient temple while you focus on your new Thegn and defending your homes. You mentioned that the mountain dwarves fought with you against the demon... I wonder if they have a similar sacred order? A well-respected holy warrior might be the best diplomat in this instance." Zax eyes Brock with encouragement.

Woot! Loot! +1up!

Suggested loot spread - return religious/art items to dwarves along with the silver to help rebuild their hall. We keep the gold, potions and 3 magic items. We can each identify 1 on our short rest. Seems like 1 for each of us? Zax can start with the gauntlets
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:40 pm

Brock says "I respect your suggestion but it is my duty to protect this earldom with my life. The Earl's son is young, but very strong and dedicated. You will need a guide for this journey. I will go with you to the temple. It is far more important to investigate this and see if I'm right... though I sincerely hope I'm wrong."

Short rest then for the party?
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    distant rumblings - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue30/30distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:38 am

Marvin claims the short sword with no objections to the other loot dispersement.

“Guys, I’ve been mostly dead all day. With this storm still raging I think I’d rather hole up here for a while before we set out (long rest). What do you say?”
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:42 am

mostly dead, but not all dead... otherwise they'd just have to look through your pockets for loose change. Very Happy

distant rumblings - Page 9 Miracl10
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:48 am

whit10 wrote:
    In addition; the giants had some loot on them:

2 Potions of Healing, Potion of Greater Healing in another iron box
    2000 silver, 680 gold; 3 religious/art objects and vestments – worth 250 gold a piece - all from temples of Thuenor
    a fine Short Sword, a wand and some gauntlets

GM - can we get the item descriptions for the 3 magic items, since we can identify on a short\long rest? which we are taking
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:33 am

yep

+1 Short Sword, Wand of Web, Gauntlet’s of Ogre Power

Awesome, been wanting to access the web spell!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:55 am

whit10 wrote:yep

+1 Short Sword, Wand of Web, Gauntlet’s of Ogre Power

cheers thanks!

The Gauntlet's of Orgre Power don't do anything for Gor'Zax so Marvin or Warhol should use them for some free STR 19. Zax already has an 18 and I was planning to pump it to 20 at 8th anyways. The sword and wand don't help me either, so someone else can get 2 this time!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:18 am

sorry, that's what rolled up on the table. I try to avoid giving items that aren't going to be of any use to any member of the party but I can only do so much with that.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:31 am

whit10 wrote:sorry, that's what rolled up on the table. I try to avoid giving items that aren't going to be of any use to any member of the party but I can only do so much with that.

it's all good either way.

If you rolled "gauntlets" there is 1 other gauntlet in the same tier as GoOP.  Maybe we could swap?

Gauntlets of Flaming Fury (Rare)
    These gauntlets make any weapon you hold while wearing them a magic weapon, assuming you’re attuned to them of course.

You can also, as a bonus action, cause any melee weapons you’re holding to ignite with magical fire, dealing an extra 1d6 fire damage on hit. The effect can only be used once per day but lasts until you drop the weapon or sheathe it.

I would even suggest that the duration just be reduced to 1 min (10 rds) or drop which would actually weaken it to basically 1 fight and not effectively the entire dungeon crawl if I just kept the Maul out, since it can't even be "sheathed".  

tier list source
    https://blackcitadelrpg.com/magic-gauntlets-5e/
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:37 am

found a couple more comparable gauntlets

Gauntlets of the Storm (5e Equipment)
    Wondrous item, very rare (requires attunement)

While you wear these gauntlets, you can hurl a bolt of lightning at a point you can see within 100 feet of you. Each creature within 10 feet of that point must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw, taking 10d8 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Once the gauntlets are used in this way, they cannot be used again until the next dawn.

these are from PF, but could easily be ported over

Lightning Gauntlets
    LighningGauntlets1Price (Item Level): 1,000 gp (4th)
    Body Slot: Hands
    Activation: Standard (command)
    Weight: 1 lb.

Each pair of lightning gauntlets has 3 charges, which are renewed each day at dawn. Spending 1 or more charges allows you to deal electricity damage to an adjacent target. A successful DC 14 Reflex DEX save halves the damage dealt.

1 charge: 2d6 points of electricity damage.
    2 charges: 3d6 points of electricity damage.
    3 charges: 4d6 points of electricity damage.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:43 am

Gauntlets of Skill at Arms
    Aura moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Slot hands; Price 30,302 gp; Weight 1 lb.

DESCRIPTION

These finely crafted leather gauntlets have plates of silvered steel covering the back, and silver buckles at the wrist and forearm.

The gauntlets enable the wearer to use any traditional elven weapon (longbows, composite longbows, longswords, rapiers, shortbows, composite shortbows, and any weapon with the word “elven” in its name) as if he were proficient in its use. If he uses such a weapon and is already proficient with it, he gains a +1 competence bonus on attack and damage rolls. Both gauntlets must be worn for the magic to be effective.

that's effectively the same as GoOP but just as a bonus and not directly from raising STR
    change elven to dwarven weapons
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:12 pm

I think the Gauntlets of Skill at Arms are a good swap (the others are a bit powerful for the table in question that I rolled on).

Go with that - Dwarven Weapons
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:28 pm

whit10 wrote:I think the Gauntlets of Skill at Arms are a good swap (the others are a bit powerful for the table in question that I rolled on).

Go with that - Dwarven Weapons

cheers grazie, e grazie encora!

Really great job on chapter 1, by the way. It was a solid mixture of role-playing that advanced the story, some exploration that avoided an ambush and 3 fights with different terrain\scenarios. A bit more variety of monsters, like mixed encounters, would be my only suggestion for improvement.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:01 pm

Thank you!

There will be more variety. That was intentional for the opening plot
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:29 pm

I think Alan and Chris are done but can all of you just post a "ready" or something similar here when you have levelled up and got your gear straightened?

Then we'll proceed. No rush
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:55 pm

Finally unplugging from work for the week. Will get Marvin leveled up tonight.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:35 pm

Ready player 1
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:10 am

Ready!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    distant rumblings - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue68/68distant rumblings - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:59 am

Ready.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:08 pm

awesome!

We will start later tonight, go to Badlands and Broken Souls for the next chapter (which I should be getting started tonight)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:46 pm

1 more quick change for me, Tasha's allows a BM to replace 1 maneuver when you gain an ASI.  I think you are allowing all the actual books, right GM?
    If so, I am going to swap Commanding Strike for Menacing Strike
    I have been reading up on BM maneuvers again and I realized that I wasn't using commanding strike correctly, oops!  It costs 1 of my attacks AND my bonus action AND marvin's reaction.  That makes it really expensive and not as good.

Besides, menacing strike reminds me of a Vader technique, hehe
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:46 pm

yeah, that's ok. There is a bit of a learning curve with some of this stuff and I'm not a zealot when it comes to changing things when you level up.

Go for it

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 9:59 pm