Chris
6 posters

SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty Re: SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas

Post  MAS Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Chris wrote:
    MAS wrote:All good points, and I want to clarify that I didnt add those thoughts as a complaint. Just the kind of things we'd be discussing in person over coffee or a beer otherwise.

I agree about how playing non force users can and should be as fun as force users, but again, and even in the SW system, I dont think they mix well in a single party. To remain accurate in the setting, force users are simply several orders of magnitude more powerful than 99% of others around them.

And looking at playing a droid, here is where fudge factors start to come in  -
    Is a droid immune to mind effecting powers, automatically immune to poison, disease, illusion, etc?
    Can a droid be intimidated or bluffed?
    Droids require mechanic checks instead of healing checks?
    Can they be buffed/debuffed by force/magic?

Also - Star Wars: Rebels. First episode left me unconvinced, but by episode 4 I think they are doing a great job with it.  
    Spoiler alert/possibility - Sabine is somehow related to Kenobi's Sabine, the former ruler of Mandalore. Explains the Mando armor...
    Love the Inquisitor character!

I am really enjoying SW Rebels too, good stuff.  I hope Disney can make the movies equally good in that venue

I know you weren't complaining.  I was just trying to explain my thinking a bit, since the issue of system has come up a couple times now.  

As for SW setting and force users, I guess I disagree there.  ep1-3 are bad examples (and just bad in general), but I guess I look at ep4-6 and I don't see Luke being "simply several orders of magnitude more powerful than 99% of others around them".  He had a unique skill set for fighting Vader, but Han\Leia\Chewie saved his bacon twice in as many movies and it took a group effort to save Han from Jabba.

Let me look up what SR says about drones and how they interact with Riggers.  Another way to look at a sentient-droid PC is as a rigger that simply inhabits his drone.  I don't think it even needs to be that complex, per se.

Also consider Warforged in 3.x, they have many of the same issues as living constructs, so I might also default to some of the rules used for them.

Off the top of my head and this is by no means final, I would say

Droids in general -
    YES - immune to biological things like disease, poison
    but - also vulnerable to things like EMPs, restraining bolts, jawa droid guns

Yes - they can be bluffed, tricked, fooled, etc.  they think, reason and have to decide what to believe\who to trust on their own.  Jabba tortured droids and C3PO had emotions - fear, worry, relief

Yes - would use appropriate skills like Repair, not heal

No - cannot be healed with "healing" magic\force meant for biologicals (see above) and would be affected by the equivalent of "drain energy" meant for devices

No - not affected by age\time, essentially immortal or as long as their parts last

No - need to eat food, but must recharge "If you're not needing me, I think I'll shut down for a while" and get plugged in for power (more like sleep than food)

If you have HERO and they have some rules for Droid PCs, then by all means let's take a look and maybe we can incorporate them too

Good stuff, Ill keep digging too. I think the rigger inhabiting a drone approach is interesting!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty Re: SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas

Post  MAS Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:50 pm

Or - wait for it - tiny alien, maybe not even humanoid, living inside the "droid". It is more of a vehicle/drone that way.

Precedent. There was a 3-4 episode string in Clone Wars where a bunch of droids (r2 and c3po included) went a on secret mission, and there was a Republic officer inside a "droid" who was an 6 inch tall alien.

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue19/19SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:13 pm

oh... GURPS... that's even worse. lol... sorry man, I always hated those games.

to each their own
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:24 pm

No, GURPS is yet another system.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:42 pm

ok, just for fun....

SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Shadow10

SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Gurps10

SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Morphe10
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue19/19SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:19 pm

uh, the Hero system was based on GURPS dude..  look it up.

And that system always equated with that Palladium crap to me anyway... just overly burdensome and complicated with no real reason

But I will also concede that I am heavily biased towards the d20 system, and especially, PF. I haven't seen a system that gets is right without over doing it like this one. That and not needing mountains of dice is rather enjoyable
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:29 pm

ALL TRUE, lol!!!

There is some wacky, convoluted systems and settings out there. any system that is designed to accommodate "any setting" and is then handed over to adolescents is bound to come up with some crazy stuff!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:58 pm

whit10 wrote:uh, the Hero system was based on GURPS dude..  look it up.

And that system always equated with that Palladium crap to me anyway... just overly burdensome and complicated with no real reason

But I will also concede that I am heavily biased towards the d20 system, and especially, PF.  I haven't seen a system that gets is right without over doing it like this one.  That and not needing mountains of dice is rather enjoyable

Everything is "based on" DnD, right? I just found a link that talks about GURPS being based on HERO, either way, who cares? What does that say to the strengths or weakness of a system supporting a setting? Nothing.

The question at hand is, what systems may have mechanics that are well suited to supporting play in the SW setting. It needs to allow for a wide variety of tech, a robust "magic" or "powers" selection, and potentially game breaking power disparity between character classes. A genre-specific system is ill-equipped to be that flexible.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:05 pm

again, to each their own.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:36 pm

cheers ah... bickering with Josh brings out the Ryan in all of us lol!

I will modify an earlier statement given the etymology of gaming systems lessons here, I played a fair amount of palladium systems in middle school and high school. I played a ton of Robotech and TMNT
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:45 pm

heh, if you mean losing your shit due to my superior logic, then yes, it does bring out the inner Ryan Wink
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:28 pm

so... I looked at the book that you linked at the end of the combat thread. It looks like the same book that I already had. No extra traditions or adept stuff. Might be the wrong one?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:45 pm

whit10 wrote:so... I looked at the book that you linked at the end of the combat thread.  It looks like the same book that I already had.  No extra traditions or adept stuff.  Might be the wrong one?

right, that is the 20th anniversary 4E rulebook. I was just making sure you had the correct core rule book since you were saying that you couldn't start with skill specializations. Since this was clear in the book I had, I wanted to make sure you were not reading a different 4E rulebook, like Alan had been, which had very different costs for raising attributes and skills (but was still 4e)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:08 pm

I can email out some more books, if anyone wants, but they are all optional

Street Magic - more spells and adept powers

Way of the Adept
    Way of the Samuri

the last 2 are mostly fluff, but they have some new qualities in the back and retro art from the original 1980s books. Street Magic has a lot more meat to it.

I also found a nice GM screen with quick references for all the modifiers like cover, range, etc
    I found a book on drones that will help with droids and a book on aircraft for ship conversions

Arsenal has a bunch of guns, gear and vehicles as well
    Augmentation is full of... cyberware, of course

and character sheets, to help keep track of stuff, since the #s are different
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:11 pm

In an email, Josh brought up a good point about racial abilities.....  

the mechanism is there to account for them (qualities) in SR, but you are right that anyone has access to them.  That is something worth addressing, to make them race-specific again.  Wookies aren't the only race with fast-healing, but not every race should have it.

I am open to any racial powers, whether listed in the book or not.  So, by all means, we can add a Faleen phermone ability if you want.  Let's just look at the existing BP cost for other bonuses and then create a bonus, for Faleen, that gives them their racial ability back.  

for example:

Animal Empathy
    Cost: 10 BP
    A character with Animal Empathy has an instinctive feel for
    handling animals of all kinds. The character receives a +2 dice pool
    modifier for all tests involving the influence or control of an animal

just change the name and make it only affect humanoids, not animals.  affects any social test at influence or manipulation. probably bump the cost to 15BP since it is more useful than just limited to animals.

So as you guys design your race, custom or SW stock, please be mindful to only choose qualities that reflect that race's inherent abilities.  Some qualities are universal, certainly, but others (like fast healing) should remain the providence of their specific races (wookies, arcona, etc).  

Just run it by me, if you have any questions.  I am trying to be inclusive when it comes to accepting character ideas in transition from SW to SR, but it would be nice to keep something of unique racial abilities.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:37 am

I would like any books you can send. I have the arsenal already.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:16 am

navyik wrote:I would like any books you can send.  I have the arsenal already.

SW alien anthology
    street magic
    way of adept
    way of samuri
    4e character sheet

coming at ya via Dropbox, which seems easier to me than Pando. let me know if you have any technical issues with it
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:23 am

Chris wrote:
    navyik wrote:I would like any books you can send.  I have the arsenal already.

SW alien anthology
    street magic
    way of adept
    way of samuri
    4e character sheet

coming at ya via Dropbox, which seems easier to me than Pando.  let me know if you have any technical issues with it

I'd like some books too, por favor.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:01 am

Robyo wrote:
    I'd like some books too, por favor.

arsenal
    augmentation
    way of adept
    way of samuri
    street magic
    4e character sheet

SW alien anthology

coming via dropbox
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Thank you sir!

Dan and I have been discussing maybe making a couple of space pirates! My character would be a droid, but a badass, like IG-88.

Not 100% sure on that though... Kind of waiting to see what everyone else wants to play.

Sharn was a cool character, but I kind of liked how in the last session everyone had their own race and "shtick." Plus, I might just play something new and different. The not being able to speak common can be kind of a PITA, too.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:44 pm

most welcome!

Something a little more fringe, like pirates\smugglers\outlaws\mercenaries\salvagers, would be totally fine and a give the game less of a canon-feeling.

We will write in some backstory for how this group (or at least 1\some) ended up with a cloaking Mandalorian gunship.

I would love it if people could "retire" their previous characters and give me your vision of how they lived out their days and\or how they died if that was significant. I would like to use some of the previous character's stories to shape the new universe.

some story threads that come to mind, but there were more....

did Sharn slip and fall into darkness?
    did Sharn save himself by following the teachings of Attichituk and the Force Rangers?
    depending on which way, did Sharn ever teach anyone?

did Rakhu ever join the Great Hunt, pretending to be Tarro Bloodworth?
    did Rakhu continue up the ranks of R.O.X. and the Republic?
    did Rakhu ever pursue Force training after his awakening?

did Daxx stay with the Jedi or end up as a Ronin?
    depending on the above, did Daxx ever take a Padawan or train anyone as a Ronin?
    did Daxx retain his lightside or give in to his anger?

did T'son remain with the Bothan Spy Network and Republic?
    if yes, did T'son ever train any of the Bothans in the Force himself?
    did T'son ever formally pursue Force training?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Sharn and Attichituk become partners in a cutting-edge production company based around nature films and sci-fi blaxploitation films. Sharn releases his biopic, "Sharn and Irwin's Adventure to the Temple of Whatchamacallit."

Later on, the trio board the Death Star and totally take it over. The troops rally to Sharn's open audition for a new science fiction trilogy based on his exploits.

When he is old and fat, Sharn retires to Dagobah and opens a hydroponics warehouse, growing the dankest buds in the galaxy. Credits roll over a cloud of green smoke...
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:26 am

Robyo wrote:Sharn and Attichituk become partners in a cutting-edge production company based around nature films and sci-fi blaxploitation films. Sharn releases his biopic, "Sharn and Irwin's Adventure to the Temple of Whatchamacallit."

Later on, the trio board the Death Star and totally take it over. The troops rally to Sharn's open audition for a new science fiction trilogy based on his exploits.

When he is old and fat, Sharn retires to Dagobah and opens a hydroponics warehouse, growing the dankest buds in the galaxy. Credits roll over a cloud of green smoke...

"Strong the facepalm is with this one"

SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Yoda_f10
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:24 pm

Well I had fun writing it! tongue

But that's okay. I figured out a while ago that (occasionally) injecting humor in this otherwise anemic gaming forum usually goes over like a concrete hovercraft.

Heaven forbid someone actually try to have fun whilst playing a game!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:52 pm

Robyo wrote:Well I had fun writing it! tongue

But that's okay. I figured out a while ago that (occasionally) injecting humor in this otherwise anemic gaming forum usually goes over like a concrete hovercraft.

or Heaven forbid, someone has fun replying to your comment
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:57 pm

Chris wrote:

So long as it's fun!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Robyo wrote:
    Chris wrote:

So long as it's fun!

I thought a "yoda facepalm" was fun scratch
    at least that was the intention, which I do think gets lost on a forum sometimes, since it is just words and not inflection or facial expressions
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:00 pm

Gotta love the face palms! The yoda one is particularly relevant.

However,
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 9c47397fb9d9d288dddf51cbe813cd41
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68SW to SR conversion questions and character ideas - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:20 am

Rakhu does carry out the plan to impersonate Wren. His crossroads comes when his success in the hunt depends on killing a Jedi and the attempt to fake his death is blundered by a fumble roll on an npc's bluff check.
    Rakhu ends up gunning his way out of danger as usual but is never recognized as anyone other than wren. He takes out a significant Sith baddie and a few traitorous mandos, but not the ones he was after. His contacts are lost and his deep cover has obliterated his records.
    Undaunted, Rakhu BECOMES Wren, since few ever saw him unmasked. While he never got another shot at his target, there were other sith to mitigate. He himself became a target of the hunt and was later killed by a young fella, last name Fett. To this day, stories are told of the sith hunting red mando who turned over a new leaf after he learned a few tricks from a jedi.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:22 am

How you wanna handle slugthrowers in SR-SW?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:10 am

navyik wrote:Rakhu does carry out the plan to impersonate Wren. His crossroads comes when his success in the hunt depends on killing a Jedi and the attempt to fake his death is blundered by a fumble roll on an npc's bluff check.  
     Rakhu ends up gunning his way out of danger as usual but is never recognized as anyone other than wren.  He takes out a significant Sith baddie and a few traitorous mandos, but not the ones he was after.  His contacts are lost and his deep cover has obliterated his records.
        Undaunted, Rakhu BECOMES Wren, since few ever saw him unmasked.  While he never got another shot at his target, there were other sith to mitigate.  He himself became a target of the hunt and was later killed by a young fella, last name Fett.  To this day, stories are told of the sith hunting red mando who turned over a new leaf after he learned a few tricks from a jedi.

Excellent storyline!  I will incorporate that into the current SW universe.

Perhaps this is the first Fett to show up in history, 3500 yrs before Jango & Boba.   Did Fett take Wren\Rakhu's armor?  Does Keldun (if that is who you play) have the armor?  If so, how did he get it?  Or something else....

navyik wrote:How you wanna handle slugthrowers in SR-SW?

let me chew on that..... but my first thought is that all the SR rules are already made with Slugthrowers in mind.  I am actually just using the firearms rules for blasters, which reduces armor effectiveness since blasters are energy weapons, not ballistics.  Armor tends to be stronger vs ballistics than impact (energy).  for instance an armor jacket might be 8\6.  8 is vs ballistics and 6 vs impact.  So firearms can probably just have the same damage code as blasters, but armor is more effective against them.

The other issue with Firearms is that they won't work in space and some atrmospheres if there isn't enough (or any) O2 to ignite the rounds.  Firearms simply won't work in some places, whereas blasters are more universal, quieter and less effected by armor.  Overall, that still leads most people to use blasters without reinventing the rules.

That is the easiest and least cumbersome ruling I can think of, but I am open to other suggestions.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:51 pm

So I've been watching some of the films lately...

In Empire, when Luke is hanging on the antennae-thingy beneath Cloud City, I was actually getting feelings of vertigo! Don't remember it affecting me so strongly like that before. Good scene. Best movie of the whole series for sure.

In Jedi, I'm reminded of something that's always kind of bothered me: when Darth Vader picks up the Emperor and tosses him down that shaft, why the f*** does that kill him? Luke took the Emporer's lightning for much longer and he pretty much just walks away from it. But Darth is wasted from just a few quick jolts. Kind of lame, methinks.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:24 pm

Empire was definitely the best film, which is why I am glad that the ESB writer is scripting ep7. The big question from ESB.... what ever happened to Luke's hand???

sure it falls down the chute, but does an ugnaut pick it up? what if someone with cloning capabilities got it?

RotJ - as a kid, I always figured that the lightning had an electrical interaction with Vader's mechanical parts, specifically his breathing apparatus, once that got short-circuited he was done.

The gamer in me figured that Vader had exhausted all his force points and vitality fighting Luke. Luke did win after all and gave daddy a proper beat down. Vader was finished when Luke cut off his hand (now taking wound damage). It wouldn't take much more damage to kill Vader at that point. Maybe Palpatine even got a crit on his last blast of anger.

The storyteller in me figured that Vader had redeemed himself, saved his son and himself. He had nothing left to live for, so he returned to the Force at peace.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Um, firearms can and should work in space.

(found this online)

Fires can't burn in the oxygen-free vacuum of space, but guns can shoot. Modern ammunition contains its own oxidizer, a chemical that will trigger the explosion of gunpowder, and thus the firing of a bullet, wherever you are in the universe. No atmospheric oxygen required.

The only difference between pulling the trigger on Earth and in space is the shape of the resulting smoke trail. In space, "it would be an expanding sphere of smoke from the tip of the barrel," said Peter Schultz an astronomer at Brown University who researches impact craters.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:11 pm

I always took it that Vader's breathing apparatus couldn't take the force lightning and it shorted out (since he's noticeably weezing after that). Must be Chinese technology Wink
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:21 pm

whit10 wrote:Um, firearms can and should work in space.

(found this online)

Fires can't burn in the oxygen-free vacuum of space, but guns can shoot. Modern ammunition contains its own oxidizer, a chemical that will trigger the explosion of gunpowder, and thus the firing of a bullet, wherever you are in the universe. No atmospheric oxygen required.

The only difference between pulling the trigger on Earth and in space is the shape of the resulting smoke trail. In space, "it would be an expanding sphere of smoke from the tip of the barrel," said Peter Schultz an astronomer at Brown University who researches impact craters.

affraid first I ever heard of that, ok, nevermind the earlier comment about atmospheres then. the info about armor ratings still apply

I also think a case could be made for using blasters on board space ships. blasters are just super-heated plasma and they leave burn marks on surfaces, without penetration. if you fired off an assault rifle while on the inside of a space ship, you would probably blow a bunch of holes in the hull and compromise your own life support system.

....I guess shields might hold the air in, like when ships fly in and out of docking bays
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:34 pm

It depends... while a .357 round will go through an engine block, 2-3 inches of steel (or whatever) would stop all but the largest calibers. Armored cars and such were usually bullet proof in WWII and up to modern times. Again, only against normal small arms... a .50 rifle will blow a hole in almost anything that isn't a tank.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:35 pm

based on what I remember of what the bulk-heads looked like on the Falcon, small arms wouldn't do dick to a space ship, inside or out. (though they might do damage to internal circuitry)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:01 am

just something for you all to consider......

do you want your characters to already know each other and be working together?

if so, you would need to come up with at least a brief backstory for how you met and why you hang out

if not, that will probably be the first 1-2 chapters of story to get everyone together.

I have no preference either way. I like to tell "getting to know you" stories, but it does mean weaving more personal elements of the character's backstories into the main story. That is fine, but it is less of an open-ended sandbox then, at least for the first 1-2 chapters.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:08 pm

copied from Alan's thread, just so everyone is thinking about their "signature" magic item

Chris wrote:
    navyik wrote:So I can have the armor, but cant buff it for free. You should design it then. I was going to do the red samurai armor, but maybe that is overkill?

are we talking about style or stats?

I meant the appearance\style

Chris wrote:
    I can't wait to see your vision of what this armor looks like after 300 years of modifying it

I would like you to find an image for the style and appearance that suits your liking.

I will provide the stats of Wren's armor, as found by Rakhu. If you wish to further modify or enhance it, yes, you would then have to pay for it. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

in D&D terms, it would be like everyone getting a (+4 or +5) item.

Daxx's lightsaber was maybe +2 or +3, ghost touch with a "see invisible\undead\spirit" power

Wren's armor will be similar, about +2 or +3 to defense with some added features (any requests?)

I am assuming that Matt will have 1 signature droid\drone, but we haven't talked about it

I am assuming Dan will want maybe a gun, or some kind of stealth suit or something, but again, we haven't gotten that far.

I am kind of waiting to see what everyone's signature item is, so that I can I can balance them a bit internally before I release the final stats, so that everyone gets 1 "magic" item that is comparable and equally useful.

+ the ship
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:05 pm

Check out my black-sploi-jedi, the character Sam Jackson SHOULD have played in a starwars film! afro
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:31 pm

navyik wrote:Check out my black-sploi-jedi, the character Sam Jackson SHOULD have played in a starwars film! afro

I saw him, pretty funny. cheers

At some point, just let me know which guy you are actually going to play.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:34 pm

So hard to choose!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:36 pm

except that if SLJ had played him that way, you JUST might have pissed off a few people over stereo-typing

actually Alan, how serious are you with this Jedi? If you go that route, I might not play the one I was making.... my guy wouldn't associate with any Jedi (ex-Jedi would be ok though) and I can easily play something else, I guess.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:48 pm

maybe you guys should have a little discussion about what kind of game\party\story you want to play?

that might help make some decisions. remember this is a 100% sandbox - you guys decide where to go, what to do, etc

1 Jedi might not fit into a party of pirates
    1 ex-sith might not fit into a party of do-gooders
    etc etc

I am happy to run anything - goodies, pirates\mercs\smugglers, grey-morality, in the Republic, in the Sith Empire, in the Fringe.... but it would help to let me know ahead of time
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:06 pm

that's a good question to resolve.

So, are we going to be a bunch of wanker goody goodies or are we going to be more neutral? (it should be obvious that I vote for the latter)
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:07 pm

I can play spike first.  He is pretty gray.  He becomes loyal to the republic, but we can explore the story of how he gets there.  If time warps again down the road I have 2 more from which to choose.

I think the point of black-sploi-jedi is to pay homage to a genre which accentuates stereotypes in a comical way to expose ignorance and bring levity to an overly plaintiff grudge.

What is funny is that Sam Jackson plays the voice of a white crimminal who tries to sound "urban" on The Boondocks.  That show is what inspired this idea for me.  It is written by a black guy, acted by black people to lampoon stereotypes and to expose the hidden truths within those stereotypes.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:31 pm

lol... right on man.

So, does this mean that you want to be Republic aligned? If that's the case, I can't play my force user.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:18 pm

He is Ronin for now. He later becomes a pub operative handling government matters that would be inconvenient for the jedi code.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:52 pm

let's see what Matt and Dan have to say as well.  

saying, "we are grey\neutral" or "we are Republic agents" (like last time) is a good starting point.  the other way to look at this question is - what is it that you guys want to do as a party?

I am hoping that you embrace the sandbox idea and choose a party with it's own motivations and goals.  This is a veteran gaming group in a well developed genre.  If you had a capable group and a cloaking starship in the SW universe..... where would go and what would you do?

if you just want to be agents of the Republic\Sith\Hutts and be told where to go and what to do, that is fine too.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:13 am