MrBrownstone75
MAS
6 posters

Cut to the chase! (or Learning to fly)

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cut to the chase! (or Learning to fly)

Post  Chris Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:10 pm

Robyo wrote:Alright, draw excess power from the cloaking device to the engines.

2nd roll: 13 + 5 = 18

Ok, let me just make sure you are following....

to activate the Cloak - it draws all the power from all 4 weapon systems and the shields.

when the cloak is dropped, that power is "free" but unless it gets returned, the original systems never get their power back. Shivak rerouted power back to the main guns and fired them last turn.

1st - Sharn added power to the engines at the expense of re-powering Tractor Beam. Ship speed +1 hex per action

2nd - Sharn is again adding power to the engines. There are 4 systems and enough power remaining for 2 of them: shields, ion turret, tractor beam (-) and missiles.

Is that what you want to do?

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cut to the chase! (or Learning to fly)

Post  Robyo Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Sorry for the confusion. I thought you wanted two rolls for each re-routing in engineering, as in a roll each to disconnect/reconnect, or something.

But yeah, Sharn only wants to reroute power from the cloaking device to the engines. Never mind the tractor beam. Red wants to use it eventually.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:34 pm

"Keep your eyes peeled for the other fighter, " Tarro advises dryly. " Do we have those shields yet?"
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue19/19Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:53 pm

ok, giving chase. I see three obstacles (ships, whatever) in Shivak's way as he's trying to get on the DSF's 6.

Is that all that Shivak needs to make checks for? I think the "slips" and stuff that are in the book aren't needed as of yet?

Two move actions - I'm completely confused by your movement discussion earlier
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Chris wrote:
    to activate the Cloak - it draws all the power from all 4 weapon systems and the shields.

when the cloak is dropped, that power is "free" but unless it gets returned, the original systems never get their power back.  Shivak rerouted power back to the main guns and fired them last turn.  

Robyo wrote:Sorry for the confusion. I thought you wanted two rolls for each re-routing in engineering, as in  a roll each to disconnect/reconnect, or something.

But yeah, Sharn only wants to reroute power from the cloaking device to the engines. Never mind the tractor beam. Red wants to use it eventually.

The Cloak does not have its own power, as I said, it draws the power from the shields and all 4 weapons to get its power.  Think Star Trek - you can either cloak or have wpns\shields, not both.

Shivak dropped the cloak, but didn't have time to reroute the power back to the shields and 4 wpns.  He rerouted power just to 1 wpn - the quad guns.  That left the shields, tractor beam, missiles and ion turret without their power.

You are correct, in general it takes 2 rolls: 1 take power away from an active system and 1 to give it to another system.

In this case, the cloak was dropped, so you don't need the "take away power" rolls.  But you need to roll to give power back to the primary systems (shields and wpns).  Sharn decided not to restore power to 1 of those (tractor beam) and instead reroute it to the engines.  This is fine, I was just clarifying that is what you wanted him to do, since there still seemed to be a lot of confusion.

Tarro has twice called for shields and once power to the turret.  Sharn increased base speed with 1 action and has 1 more to return power to shields, ion turret or missiles (if you want).  Or to send that power elsewhere on the ship, per the Engineering chart in n*1
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:11 pm

whit10 wrote:ok, giving chase.  I see three obstacles (ships, whatever) in Shivak's way as he's trying to get on the DSF's 6.

Is that all that Shivak needs to make checks for?  I think the "slips" and stuff that are in the book aren't needed as of yet?

Two move actions - I'm completely confused by your movement discussion earlier

Well, it really depends on how you want to get there.  Remember, this is tactical movement, since you have to account for facing at all times.  Each change of facing requires either a pilot check (and no movement square cost) or no roll, but you spend more movement by using a stunt.  Assume you are facing East (to the right side of the map)

Remember, table 11-13 if you are going at 9+  (your base speed is 10 +1 from Sharn) you take a -4 to all piloting checks.  (failing means you can lose control of the ship)

Just like in any combat - you have to actually count your squares.  Look at pgs 218-220.  Each type of movement has a different cost.  You can't just say "take a double move".  You have to plot a specific course, count your movement, diagonals, slips, etc.

Or you can try to fly through the obstacles, in which case, you don't waste movement flying around them, but you have to make piloting checks for each obstacle.  If you fail the pilot check, you have a collision per pg 221.  (remember no shields unless Sharn changes his action)

I have no idea from your statement which squares Shivak is flying through, what path he is taking or how you are counting the movement.

For example, flying carefully by moving, adjusting facing, moving, etc.  I count 5 separate pilot checks needed and I don't see the ship even getting around the corner.

Or you could make 2 pilot checks for turning, fly straight through 2 of the obstacles (making more pilot checks to avoid collisions) and getting around the corner with about 17 moves, then you would need to do a stunt or quick turn roll and have a few squares left to give pursuit.

And there are a million variations in between.  Please give me a specific course and at least make an effort to use the maneuvering rules.  You either need to use stunts or make a roll every time you make a quick turn (failing means you can lose control of the ship).

study If you want some help - I am willing to plot a course for you 1 time, to help you understand. Tell me if you want to fly carefully around the obstacles or fly faster and go through them. study

Last edited by Chris on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15/20Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:11 pm

Bos Lobo
    AC 17
    62/62 HP
    Good Hope (+2), Bless (+1)

Bos is waiting with the tractor beam on standby. Once we get close enough for Tarro to blast this sucker with the ion cannon, I will tractor him in.
    On my turn I will Inspire Competence in Tarro (as a move action), granting him another +3 on starship weapon rolls.
    "Like shooting womp rats in a pond, eh Tarro. Let's finish the Great Hunt and make Mandalore proud!"

So I'm looking at the Wrenvenge's weapon stats, and I'm a little confused about how they work.
    Do we add the attack bonus for the weapon to all our individual bonuses?
    Do we use our base ranged attack bonus or a starship weapons skill?
    Does the tractor beam not have a penalty for range? I'm seeing "n/a".

Tractor Beam Projector
      Fire Arc: Front
      Attack Bonus: +7 (+1 size, +4 FC, +2 EQ)
      Damage: special
      Range: PB 0, S\M\L n\a
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:14 pm

MrBrownstone75 wrote:Bos Lobo
    AC 17
    62/62 HP

Bos is waiting with the tractor beam on standby. Once we get close enough for Tarro to blast this sucker with the ion cannon, I will tractor him in.
    On my turn I will Inspire Competence in Tarro (as a move action), granting him another +3 on starship weapon rolls.
    "Like shooting womp rats in a pond, eh Tarro. Let's finish the Great Hunt and make Mandalore proud!"

So I'm looking at the Wrenvenge's weapon stats, and I'm a little confused about how they work.
    Do we add the attack bonus for the weapon to all our individual bonuses?
    Do we use our base ranged attack bonus or a starship weapons skill?
    Does the tractor beam not have a penalty for range? I'm seeing "n/a".

Tractor Beam Projector
      Attack Bonus: +7 (+1 size, +4 FC, +2 EQ)
      Damage: special
      Range: PB 0, S\M\L n\a

Yes, the +7 is basically an equipment bonus from the weapon (ships have high DCs, espcially when you factor in moving at high speeds)

Yes, BAB + DEX + any feats for ranged weapons

Tractor Beam only works at Point Blank range. It in not applicable (n\a) at anything beyond PB
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15/20Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (15/20)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:17 pm

Ok thanks Chris. I know we had talked about making Bos into a starship pilot and gunner, but I seem to be missing those feats. Maybe you or someone else here can point me in the right direction?

Also, I never picked a mythic ability. I'm not even sure where to find those in the Pathfinder book. If Bos Lobo has a mythic ability it would most likely reflect his vast knowledge of the galaxy, like a loremaster ability. Any help here would also be greatly appreciated. Smile

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue19/19Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 pm

the second option you mentioned sounds like the best... Shivak is arrogant enough to think he can fly through just about anything.

What was messing with me was the facing chart and the obstacles thing.

It looks like he would need to do a simple change in direction (diagonal left - DC 5) to turn and then go forward for one space (or two?) and then do the same thing again to face back to the right (just one change, again DC 5) and then fly as fast as possible using all movement to get to that first big turn. That is what involves the Pilot checks to avoid obstacles... correct? The two changes in orientation are automatic since they're so low. Right?

Three piloting checks then to get to J - 23 as fast as possible. I'm just having a bit of difficulty seeing how far he can get.

...am I on the right track here?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:22 pm

MrBrownstone75 wrote:Ok thanks Chris. I know we had talked about making Bos into a starship pilot and gunner, but I seem to be missing those feats. Maybe you or someone else here can point me in the right direction?

Also, I never picked a mythic ability. I'm not even sure where to find those in the Pathfinder book. If Bos Lobo has a mythic ability it would most likely reflect his vast knowledge of the galaxy, like a loremaster ability. Any help here would also be greatly appreciated.  Smile

I can help you. Let's go to your character page thread so we don't clog up the combat thread
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:14 am

Chris wrote:
    Tarro has twice called for shields and once power to the turret.  Sharn increased base speed with 1 action and has 1 more to return power to shields, ion turret or missiles (if you want).  Or to send that power elsewhere on the ship, per the Engineering chart in n*1

Additional Power to the shields then. Use my 2nd roll. Do I need to make more rolls or am I done?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:54 am

Robyo wrote:
    Chris wrote:

Additional Power to the shields then. Use my 2nd roll. Do I need to make more rolls or am I done?

I think you rolled enough Cool

Sharn increased base speed by +1 and restored power to the shields. Sharn activates the shields (free) action.

No worries, everyone (GM included) is struggling through starship rules, which are more like a toned down version of Battletech or a tactical mecha combat game, given all the new rules and facing changes, etc.

thanks for your patience
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am

whit10 wrote:the second option you mentioned sounds like the best... Shivak is arrogant enough to think he can fly through just about anything.

What was messing with me was the facing chart and the obstacles thing.

It looks like he would need to do a simple change in direction (diagonal left - DC 5) to turn and then go forward for one space (or two?) and then do the same thing again to face back to the right (just one change, again DC 5) and then fly as fast as possible using all movement to get to that first big turn.  That is what involves the Pilot checks to avoid obstacles... correct?  The two changes in orientation are automatic since they're so low.  Right?

Three piloting checks then to get to J - 23 as fast as possible.  I'm just having a bit of difficulty seeing how far he can get.

...am I on the right track here?

Yeah, you are on the right track, for sure. The DCs would end up being higher for a couple reasons - 1 is your speed and 2 are the obstacles themselves like buildings and other ships. So it wouldn't just be the simple DC 5, although it wouldn't be super hard either. Failure would have really bad consequences though, like a collision. Realistically, that other traffic is moving too, which makes it harder to navigate, even though it is represented in a 1-turn-at-a-time format.

I designed the map (I hope) so that you couldn't get around the corner if you flew the safest path. I wanted to challenge you to use the rules if you wanted to get to your target.

I will work on the pathing later, I have to get to court this morning, stand by
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:42 pm

sorry for the delay guys, work was crazy for a bit.  I have emailed and talked to Josh about the piloting stuff.

Shivak will attempt to fly through traffic, not around it, in order to make the best possible pursuit speed.

Based on our chat, Shivak needs to make the following piloting checks:

1 - quick turn stunt off landing pad heading NE
    2 - quick turn stunt to line up with row J
    3 - collision check with traffic at J-13
    4 - collision check with traffic at J-17
    5 - quick turn stunt to turn at J-23

The rolls are modified by speed (-4) and obstacles when appropriate

This is a double move and if Shivak makes it to J-23, should have used 15\20 squares + 2 from Sharn, so Shivak will have 7 squares left, but we will deal with that when we see if he makes it that far

Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 1_cut_12
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:56 pm

ok, so, Shivak's Dex is currently a 24 instead of a 16, so +7 to his skill instead of +3 (though taking into account the -4)

16 to all Pilot checks currently

Roll(1d20)+16:
    20,+16
    Total:36

Roll(1d20)+16:
    20,+16
    Total:36

Roll(1d20)+16:
    9,+16
    Total:25

Roll(1d20)+16:
    10,+16
    Total:26

Roll(1d20)+16:
    11,+16
    Total:27

that was kind of a weird die progression, lol... 20, 20, 9, 10, 11? Too bad the 20s were kind of wasted.

Any collisions?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:03 am

Shivak easily makes the 3 quick turns, but scrapes the underside of a passing car in traffic.

whit10 wrote:ok, so, Shivak's Dex is currently a 24 instead of a 16, so +7 to his skill instead of +3 (though taking into account the -4)
    16 to all Pilot checks currently

Roll(1d20)+16:
    9,+16

Roll(1d20)+16:
    10,+16
    Total:26

Any collisions?

Collision DC = 25
    medium sized obstacle = 20
    only moving at cruising speed = 0
    moving towards your ship = +5

The crew gets tossed about a bit (gravity is a bitch) as Shivak dips and swerves through the on-coming traffic.  Everyone can feel a slight "bump" as one of the passing cars actually bounces off the shielding of the Wrenvenge - it was THAT close to a collision!

Shivak makes it around the corner with 7 squares of movement remaining.  Shivak can see some more traffic up ahead.

Perception checks for the 2 DSF or Sensors (computers)

Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Cut_to10

Chris wrote:
    Pilot: Shivak

Commander:  Bos

Engineer:  Sharn

Shields: SDX - 200/200
    Sensors: SDX

Quad Laser Cannons (Front): Bos (has power)
    *Tractor Beam (F): Bos
    *Ion Cannon (Turret): Tarro
    *Concussion Missiles (F):  Bos

* marks by the other wpns and shields represent their lack of power or function.

Chris wrote:
    Initiative:

Tarro = 17
    Shivak = 17
    Sharn = 17
    Bos =15
    DSF (Droid Starfighters) = 9
    SDX = 3

Shivak has 7 squares left, but is almost done
    Sharn has restored shields and boosted speed - done
    Tarro - no power in the Ion Turret, but he has both actions
    Bos - both actions available
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:04 am

keep giving it the bees... straight on ahead to max. movement

Roll(1d20)+16:
    8,+16
    Total:24

Roll(1d20)+16:
    9,+16

Roll(1d20)+16:
    19,+16
    Total:35

I think that takes care of rolls for the turn, then flying past two more obstacles?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:13 am

whit10 wrote:keep giving it the bees... straight on ahead to max. movement

I think that takes care of rolls for the turn, then flying past two more obstacles?

What turns are you rolling for?

The ship is pointed (arrow) in the right direction. the only rolls needed would be if you want to fly through the obstacles again. I think you could manage with 1 more check, picking either the left or right side of the road (so to speak)
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:25 am

Does Tarro have access to power couplings in his current location that could be routed to the turret? Otherwise he readies himself to aim and fire once power is restored.

Reroute roll if applicable 7+15=22 (not taking from shields, engines, sensors, or stabilizer. Will take from another weapon or from life support (temporarily). "Our engineer will be wanting to restore power to whatever I'm taking as soon as he has a free hand."
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:35 am

navyik wrote:Does Tarro have access to power couplings in his current location that could be routed to the turret?  Otherwise he readies himself to aim and fire once power is restored.

Reroute roll if applicable 7+15=22 (not taking from shields, engines, sensors, or stabilizer.  Will take from another weapon or from life support (temporarily).  "Our engineer will be wanting to restore power to whatever I'm taking  as soon as he has a free hand."

study Sure! I don't think there are any location-specific rules. That was a Repair roll above?

Tarro flips open a power coupling box and begins yanking cables and splicing the wires together. Tarro restores power to the Ion Turret (not stolen from anywhere, just excess after the cloak dropped).

That cost 1 move action

Tarro has a standard action remaining. Tarro can see the 1 (left) DSF up ahead, past some more traffic. Perception check for the other DSF (right and behind now)
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:11 pm

oh, my mistake then. Just one roll, we'll go to the left.

I'll just put up a new roll.

Roll(1d20)+16:
    17,+16
    Total:33

Shivak is done then... I think?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:50 pm

Tarro
    Ac 30 SR21
    Touch 20
    Hp 50/135
    PBAMF
    Haste +1att/+1AC
    Divine favor +2 att/dmg

Perception 10+18=28

If he has a shot at the one on the right, Tarro will study his target as a swift action and make a vital strike:

"Keep left, I will take the other one."

14+7(fc)+10(base)+7(dx)+2+1(buff)+3(study)=44 to hit...
    Dmg 5d10x2 + 5d10x2 +3  = 135 ion dmg

Dmg 81+ is "catastrouphic ionization" the ship cannot move, fire waepons, or perform stunts until it makes a dc 30 repair check.

Last edited by navyik on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:15 pm

whit10 wrote:
    I'll just put up a new roll.

Roll(1d20)+16:
    17,+16
    Total:33

Shivak is done then... I think?

Shivak dodges the new traffic obstacles with ease (hazards that are moving away are easier than moving towards)

navyik wrote:Tarro

Perception 10+18=28

If he has a shot at the one on the right, Tarro will study his target as a swift action and make a vital strike:

"Keep left, I will take the other one."

Tarro catches a quick glimpse of the other (right\below) DSF.  It is heading S off the map and moving away from the Wrenvenge.  With Shivak's 7 squares of additional movement, the DSF is beyond the maximum weapon range of 20 squares, but still within the max sensor range of 40.  

navyik wrote:
    It stands to reason that his limmitless range mythic ability would also eliminate penalties for short range and reduce medium and long range penalties to -2.

We didn't talk about it extending the maximum possible range, although that would also reasonable. I think the 20-30 range would be -6 (the old long range), which is effectively giving Tarro an extra range category.

Or does Tarro want to shoot at the closer one?

Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Cut_to11

Shivak, Sharn and Tarro are finished

Bos is up

then DSFs
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:20 pm

Tarro will shoot the closer one if there's no shot on the other.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:05 pm

navyik wrote:Tarro will shoot the closer one if there's no shot on the other.

There is a legal shot either way. The farther shot would be much more difficult than the closer one. Up to the guy in red Cool
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:16 pm

Back on station. Not certain if I am up?

Do we have visual, or sensor, on the vehicle with the corpse in it?

ALAN - TARRO was asked if the head would suffice vs needing the whole body. Answer?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:39 pm

MAS wrote:

ALAN - TARRO was asked if the head would suffice vs needing the whole body. Answer?

Head yes.

There is a legal shot either way. The farther shot would be much more difficult than the closer one. Up to the guy in red Cool

Tarro will take the longer shot because he may not get another shot at that one

Tarro's ranges are x5
    Pb 0-5
    Sh 6-25
    Med 26-55
    Ion canon has no "long"
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:18 am

Tarro will take the longer shot because he may not get another shot at that one

Tarro's ranges are x5
    Pb  0-5
    Sh 6-25
    Med 26-55
    Ion canon has no "long"

Ok, if you want to go that route, then there is no reduced adjustment to the penalties to hit.  I was under the misunderstanding that you were just dropping the penalties to hit and keeping the ranges the same, since ship ranges are significantly longer and Mythic rules weren't designed with spaceships in mind.  Keeping it this way is probably just easier though - x5 ranges + standard penalties.

navyik wrote:

Dmg 81+ is "catastrouphic ionization"   the ship cannot move, fire waepons, or perform stunts until it makes a dc 30 repair check.

DSF DC = 28
    medium range = -4
    Tarro moving at 9+ = -4
    target moving at 9+ = -4
    target flying defensively = -4
    soft cover (other traffic) = -4

modified DC = 48

Tarro's shot just barely misses the target, though it would have been a nearly impossible shot (unless Tarro wants to spend any HPs or such)

Bos is up

then DSFs

then SDX
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Ok, if you want to go that route, then there is no reduced adjustment to the penalties to hit.  I was under the misunderstanding that you were just dropping the penalties to hit and keeping the ranges the same, since ship ranges are significantly longer and Mythic rules weren't designed with spaceships in mind.  Keeping it this way is probably just easier though - x5 ranges + standard penalties.

I would not argue against keeping the ranges the same and adjusting penalties.  (That was my original idea since starship ranges seem to be more about entropy than accuracy).  I guess I misinterpreted you.  Sorry.  

Why don't we move on with Tarro missing that shot either way and use normal range maximums but with penalties adjusted for the x5 accuracy of the mythic ability.  Tarro is not penalized at short, and only penalized a -2 at medium or long.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:24 pm

navyik wrote:

I would not argue against keeping the ranges the same and adjusting penalties.  (That was my original idea since starship ranges seem to be more about entropy than accuracy).  I guess I misinterpreted you.  Sorry.  

Why don't we move on with Tarro missing that shot either way and use normal range maximums but with penalties adjusted for the x5 accuracy of the mythic ability.  Tarro is not penalized at short, and only penalized a -2 at medium or long.

I know this stuff is confusing, sorry.

I see 3 options:

1) keep ranges all the same, just reduce the penalties

2) ignore ranges since Mythic says "no max range" but keep current range penalites

3) keep max 20, but increase each range increment which then lowers the penalty by default.  

for example:

current, regular rules for everyone else:

Point Blank = 0-1 hexes
    Short = 2-5 hexes
    Medium = 6-10
    Long = 11-20 ** max range of wpns**
    Extreme = 21-40 (sensors only)
    out of range = 40+

range modifiers to wpns (table 11-08)
    PB = 0
    short = -2
    med = -4
    long = -6

Tarro, with Mythic range

Point Blank = 0-5 hexes
    Short = 6-10 hexes
    Medium = 11-20   ** max range of wpns**

that effectively moves the range increment by 1 which also reduces the to hit penalties by -2 for each range.  the other added bonus to this would be that Tarro could fire the Ion cannon at "long" range because it is only considered "medium" for him.  That extends many weapons' functional ranges. Point Blank Shot would also apply to anything in the 0-5 category Wink

I am leaning towards (3) but I am open to your input
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:29 pm

MAS wrote:Back on station. Not certain if I am up?

Do we have visual, or sensor, on the vehicle with the corpse in it?

SDX is not quite up yet, ship combat has been a slow learning curve.

Crew has visual on 1 of the 2 possible DSF with the body, in front after Shivak's hot pursuit. No one has run sensors yet. Tarro had a brief visual of 2nd DSF, but it is going in the opposite direction currently.

Bos is up
    DSF on deck
    SDX in the hole
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:57 pm

I am leaning towards (3) but I am open to your input

I'm good with #3
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:56 pm

Bos Lobo
    AC 17
    62/62 HP

Bos was waiting to fire the tractor beam after the star fighter was disabled and the Wrenvenge got in range.

If we are in range I fire:
    1d20: 3+7+3 = 13 (yuck!)
    2nd roll: 10+7+3=20

If we aren't in range I keep inspiring Tarro to boost his starship weapons skill (+3)

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:41 am

MrBrownstone75 wrote:
    Bos was waiting to fire the tractor beam after the star fighter was disabled and the Wrenvenge got in range.

If we aren't in range I keep inspiring Tarro to boost his starship weapons skill (+3)

I know the map is a bit hard to read, but it looks to me like the ships are about 3-4 squares apart and Tractor beams only have Point Blank range 0-1.

Also - there is currently no power to the Tractor Beam, it still hasn't been restored.

Bos still has both his standard and move actions, since there was no shot.

If he used his standard to continue to inspire, he could use his move action to make a Repair check and try to reroute power to the Tractor Beam himself (like Tarro did) DC 15
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:50 am

"Bothan, the quadlaser is on the same console in front of you."
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:37 am

navyik wrote:"Bothan, the quadlaser is on the same console in front of you."

and it has power Cool
    and is within range cheers
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:25 pm

I would be more than happy to blast this sucker with the quad laser, but I thought we were trying to ionize him, then tractor beam him.

Are we changing the plan?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:38 pm

MrBrownstone75 wrote:I would be more than happy to blast this sucker with the quad laser, but I thought we were trying to ionize him, then tractor beam him.

Are we changing the plan?

Yes, thankyou, that would be tidy. But nothing is really off the table. If there is no evidence of Organna to recover, then Tarro will have to deliver proof of C3PX's demise instead. That may be complicated, but then Tarro can't lose without dying. "Recover or destroy. I'm good either way."
    MrBrownstone75
    MrBrownstone75

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MrBrownstone75 Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:46 pm

Bos Lobo
    AC 17
    62/62 HP

Cool. Okay guys, I'm lighting 'em up.

I first use my move action to inspire myself with starship weapons (+3) "I have you now..."
    Then I fire quadlasers at the star fighter:
    Quad Laser Cannons (4)
    Attack Bonus: +9 (+1 size, +6 Fire Control, +2 equipment bonus)
    Damage: 6d10x2
    Range: PB +0, S +0, M\L NA

Attack rolls: 20 and 3 cheers   Crying or Very sad

20+9+6=35
    3+9+6=18

Damage rolls (6d10x2 each): 160(crit) and 82
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:57 am

MrBrownstone75 wrote:Bos Lobo
    AC 17
    62/62 HP

Cool. Okay guys, I'm lighting 'em up.

I first use my move action to inspire myself with starship weapons (+3) "I have you now..."
    Then I fire quadlasers at the star fighter:
    Quad Laser Cannons (4)
    Attack Bonus: +9 (+1 size, +6 Fire Control, +2 equipment bonus)
    Damage: 6d10x2
    Range: PB +0, S +0, M\L NA

Attack rolls: 20 and 3 cheers   Crying or Very sad

20+9+6=35
    3+9+6=18

Damage rolls (6d10x2 each): 160(crit) and 82

Cool  nice quote, Bos

Ok, a couple quick rules issues, but nothing major....

If Bos uses his Move action, then he can only fire 1 shot, since making multiple attacks is a Full Round Action (unless you use some other special ability).  I don't think Bos was affected by SDX's earlier Haste scratch

Either way, the roll of 3 was a miss, so it doesn't really matter.  

Also, I think you roll isn't quite right, though Bos is only cheating himself.  At 10th, Bos has a BAB of +7\+2 and +3 from Dex and +2 Good Hope +1 Bless + 3 inspire.  You get to add ALL of that to the ship's bonus of +9  cheers

Bos' attack roll should be +16 (Bos) + 9 (ship) = +25

20+25 = 45
    3+25 = 28

DSF DC = 28
    -4 for your ship moving spd 9+
    -4 target ship moving spd 9+
    -4 target ship flying defensively
    no range = short
    no cover

modified DC = 40
    study Ship combat is hard, which is why you get such a big bonus from the ship  study

Bos lights him up with the first shot (2nd would still miss)

Chris wrote:
    Confirmed Crits bypass shields entirely

The DSF has no shields, so no need to roll for confirmation.  It takes 80 damage, which is enough to force a roll on table 11-9 Battle Damage (like massive damage vs a player).  

study GM rolls....  I'll give you a bonus to the damage roll (for the crit) Widespread damage, 2 systems down.....  Ion Engines hit twice, ship cannot perform any maneuvers and speed dropped in half

T'son calls out in his best Wedge voice, "Wha!  That got 'em"

Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Gsf_110
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:23 am

DSF turn:

Bos' target tries to maneuver to turn down the next side street, but the ship's ion engines are destroyed.  The target DSF spins out of control and crashes into the building on the corner!  It explodes sending debris scattering down below.

2 more DSF come around the corner flying to intercept the Wrenvenge with their guns blazing!

Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 7droid10

Wren has a modified DC of 29  (21 base +4 your speed, +4 their speed)

1 DSF misses badly, but the other just barely hits with its fire-linked laser cannons (5d10x2)

damage:
    Roll(10d10)+0:
    8,10,7,7,2,5,8,2,6,8,+0
    Total:63

The Wrenvenge takes 63 to it's shields:  137\200 shields, full 180\180 hull
    cheers  shields!

Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 1_cut_13

map is current

SDX is up, at the computer station (sensors\shields).
    SDX has no visual on the other ship, but could try sensors. target is "off map" to the south, but within 40 squares

check pg 210 for sensors.  DSF is size: "Fine", at "extreme" range.

make sure you read the different types of sensor scans: passive, scan, search or focus.  Each grants a different bonus, type of information and requires a different amount of time.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:03 pm

Clarification request- has the ship carrying the corpse been destroyed? Was that the ship that just got blasted?

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm

MAS wrote:Clarification request- has the ship carrying the corpse been destroyed? Was that the ship that just got blasted?

That is a definite maybe Cool

study the party doesn't know which one had the corpse. it might have been that ship or the one that is south and off the map.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:14 pm

Chris wrote:
    MAS wrote:Clarification request- has the ship carrying the corpse been destroyed? Was that the ship that just got blasted?

That is a definite maybe  Cool

study  the party doesn't know which one had the corpse.  it might have been that ship or the one that is south and off the map.  

Well then.

SDX
    AC =18
    HP = 92 /92
    SP = 21
    Summon Monster SLA used: 1
    Spell slots used: 2nd = 4, 3rd =1

"These archaic devices are insufficient. I will make adjustments to them when time permits. Augmenting vehicle crew speed is new priority."

I didn't build this character with the regular 'ol computer use skill, so he cant use the sensors "as they are". They are so low tech they don't make any sense to him. Rather than take the time to "upgrade them" to Prime-tech, he'll stand by until he can do something useful.

SDX casts HASTE.
    HASTE
    School transmutation; Level bard 3, sorcerer/wizard 3
    Casting Time 1 standard action
    Components V, S, M (a shaving of licorice root)
    Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Targets one creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
    Duration 1 round/level
    Saving Throw Fortitude negates (harmless); Spell Resistance yes (harmless)
    The transmuted creatures move and act more quickly than normal. This extra speed has several effects.

When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with one natural or manufactured weapon. The attack is made using the creature's full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This effect is not cumulative with similar effects, such as that provided by a speed weapon, nor does it actually grant an extra action, so you can't use it to cast a second spell or otherwise take an extra action in the round.)

A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves. Any condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses.

All of the hasted creature's modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subject's normal speed using that form of movement. This increase counts as an enhancement bonus, and it affects the creature's jumping distance as normal for increased speed. Multiple haste effects don't stack. Haste dispels and counters slow.

A cloud of red nano-dust floods the crew cabins, settling on the crew and boosting their speed.

Last edited by MAS on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Chris wrote:

The Wrenvenge:  
    137\200 shields
    full 180\180 hull

Pilot: Shivak
    Commander:  Bos
    Engineer:  Sharn
    Shields:  
    Sensors:

Quad Laser Cannons (Front): Bos
    Ion Cannon (Turret): Tarro

*Tractor Beam (F):
    *Concussion Missiles (F):  

* marks by the other wpns and shields represent their lack of power or function.

Cut to the chase!  (or Learning to fly) - Page 2 1_cut_13

Chris wrote:
    Initiative:

Shivak = 17
    Tarro = 17  *delayed until after move
    Sharn = 17
    Bos =15
    DSF (Droid Starfighters) = 9
    SDX = 3
    all crew has haste

map is current - other possible DSF with body is off the map to the south, ~30 squares away

Shivak is up
    Tarro on deck
    Sharn and Bos in the hole
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:31 pm

"Stay on the other target, I will hold off the fighters," Tarro casually advises,
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:41 pm

Ok.. staying on target.

I believe there are two fighters coming right at us.. split the gap and fly right between them... not sure if you want one or two rolls.

Here's one... and this is just to make one move action I believe (or one standard as well? not sure how the Haste will affect that)

Pilot Check:

Roll(1d20)+16:
    16,+16
    Total:32
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:55 am

study Since I know the forum can be confusing.... what target are you "staying on" by moving forward and between the 2 on-coming fighters? scratch

There was 1 DSF carrying Nomar's body. He hid in traffic and 2 DSF emerged, splitting north and south on the map. Shivak followed the north one, which just decorated the side of an office building of Senator Dodonna.... many interns died to bring you this information. The other possible carrier is off the map to the south. I would suggest looking at a maneuver like the Tight Half Loop on pg 222 if you want to quickly turn around 180, since there isn't room in the narrow streets to make a regular turn at your current speed.

Tight Half Loop has a base DC of 30 - this is a very hard move. Your speed also affects the DC, currently at 9+ you would be at a modified DC of 34. If Shivak dropped his speed to 5-8, the penalty is only -2, which would succeed. Shivak could then move the rest of that action at 8, since a Stunt doesn't cost movement squares the way a Maneuver does - thus the higher DCs. Shivak could then increase speed, for his second move action back up to 11. He could travel a total of 19 squares instead of 22.

Your current pilot check would be enough to avoid the hazard of the on-coming fighters if you want to fly through their squares.

study Please clarify your action

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:42 am

sorry, I should have been more specific. Flying through that space to K-22 I think. That's all he was going to do... somehow I have the feeling that someone wants to check the wreckage?

If not, that would still put us at point blank range (or damned close to it)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:41 am