Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

4 posters

Revolution Calling

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Revolution Calling - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue35/35Revolution Calling - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Revolution Calling - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue0/0Revolution Calling - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Revolution Calling - Page 6 Empty Re: Revolution Calling

Post  Chris Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:46 am

tracking world ideas...

5e + N&C rules for guns (modified as needed)

Chris GM until June-ish, transition to Alan

post-apocalyptic world with a magic “awakening” ala Shadowrun

actual Earth

post apocalyptic world that is less dystopian and more like a Wild West - catastrophic environmental collapse, ill timed with some kind of solar electromagnetic disruption, has driven humanity away from centers of population into wilderness regions where most technology was unsalvageable

A rifts like world where any scape or scope can be encountered from one region to another.

actual magic, as per Shadow Run (not Tech magic)

awakening  could be virus-based. A series of pandemics (which also  contributed to the  societal  collapse) led to a massive decline in the population (shoutout to 12 Monkeys), but also uncovered a select few who developed  magical acumen from a combination of experimental treatments and genetic mutations.

100 years past the breakdown is about right. Enough time for most (but not all) tech and machines to be destroyed and new tribes & communities to form, but still a generational connection to the before-times.

suggestion for races

no elves, dwarves, halflings, gnome, orcs

human

mutant - Tiefling, Changeling, Shifter, Goliath, simic hybrid, firbolg (near human but with some racial differences)

awakened - tabaxi, kenku, lizardfolk, minotaur, harengon, tortle, leonin, loxodon, bugbear, etc

let me know if anyone has a problem with a specific race, ie it just ruins your fun to imagine sentient Rabbit-folk because you can't get Bugs Bunny out of your head. we can just scratch off objectionable races
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Revolution Calling - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue30/30Revolution Calling - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Revolution Calling - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue0/0Revolution Calling - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:26 pm

I think the same phenomena that provided for magic could have resulted in development of the first two generations of the humanoid races too, but mostly because I likely won’t personally bother with the mutant or awakened races. Will totally defer to the group’s consensus on that topic though.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Revolution Calling - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue35/35Revolution Calling - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:50 pm

Whitey wrote:I think the same phenomena that provided for magic could have resulted in development of the first two generations of the humanoid races too, but mostly because I likely won’t personally bother with the mutant or awakened races. Will totally defer to the group’s consensus on that topic though.

It certainly could have, I just wanted a world that looked different both in setting and races. I get tired of elves, dwarves, etc that make everything look like Tolkien.

If you want to be human, that's cool. You can still put your points anywhere you want and choose a skill\tool\darkvision and a feat.

Humans are still the most common, then mutants and most rare would be the awakened races.

I was thinking of starting mid levels somewhere in the 4-6 range, but I am open to suggestions if people want to start lower too.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Revolution Calling - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue19/19Revolution Calling - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Revolution Calling - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue1/0Revolution Calling - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:27 pm

so, is the tech level back to swords and what not? No guns? (just a little confused on that point)
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Revolution Calling - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue30/30Revolution Calling - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:30 pm

4th is a great place to start with 5e since a common granite starts to break at higher levels.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:37 pm

whit10 wrote:so, is the tech level back to swords and what not?  No guns? (just a little confused on that point)

I really like what N&C did with early firearms. I think that seems like a good basis to start from with more advanced guns being in the
    "lost tech" category.

For that matter, I think the human variations, backgrounds and archetypes from N&C are probably all fair game. Let me know if anyone
    really objects to that, but its a set of rules that seemed well balanced and we all are familiar with it already. The Hunter\trappeur stuff seems on point for western survival flavor too.

Whitey wrote:4th is a great place to start with 5e  since a common granite starts to break at higher levels.

cheers
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Revolution Calling - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue68/68Revolution Calling - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:00 pm

I will suggest a tech scope that appears divergent from the end of the 19th century. Telegraph or railroads over limited distances, but not intercontinental. We get any gun that was manufactured prior to the evolution of automation because it can be hand made by a craftsman with knowledge on how it works. Rarity escalates according to complexity of process. 

Some cultures might be using recurve bows and bone axes while others may have access to primitive metallurgical processes. Muskets and other cap and ball technology are common. Repeating rifles and revolvers are not quite rare, depending on region. Gatling guns and turn of the century semiautomatic weapons are quite rare. Tommy guns and Maxim Machine gun equivalents would be the inventions of a hyper ambitious rigger. I’d put post WWII body armor or explosive technology in this category as well.

A .357 or AK would be on the level of magic items or mithral. Might be found in hidden caches like SLDF battlemechs but are otherwise unique. Items that might be prototypical in our lifetime would be artifacts.

Anything diverging into an alternate future should open the door for weird sh!t. Handguns with coils that charge a primitive electrical capacitor with captured static from your pant legs rubbing together. Weird little bazookas that lob miniature v-1 buzz bombs with a long wire controlled by a joystick. Steampunk welcome.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:39 pm

navyik wrote:I will suggest a tech scope that appears divergent from the end of the 19th century. Telegraph or railroads over limited distances, but not intercontinental. We get any gun that was manufactured prior to the evolution of automation because it can be hand made by a craftsman with knowledge on how it works. Rarity escalates according to complexity of process. 

Some cultures might be using recurve bows and bone axes while others may have access to primitive metallurgical processes. Muskets and other cap and ball technology are common. Repeating rifles and revolvers are not quite rare, depending on region. Gatling guns and turn of the century semiautomatic weapons are quite rare. Tommy guns and Maxim Machine gun equivalents would be the inventions of a hyper ambitious rigger. I’d put post WWII body armor or explosive technology in this category as well.

A .357 or AK would be on the level of magic items or mithral. Might be found in hidden caches like SLDF battlemechs but are otherwise unique. Items that might be prototypical in our lifetime would be artifacts.

Anything diverging into an alternate future should open the door for weird sh!t. Handguns with coils that charge a primitive electrical capacitor with captured static from your pant legs rubbing together. Weird little bazookas that lob miniature v-1 buzz bombs with a long wire controlled by a joystick. Steampunk welcome.

Agreed! That is exactly what I was thinking too, just less eloquently written.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Revolution Calling - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue68/68Revolution Calling - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:37 pm

I’’d like to make a rigger or bring Olistaff back…
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:50 pm

navyik wrote:I’’d like to make a rigger or bring Olistaff back…

Rigger was the driver that plugged into cars. Is that what you mean?

Or more like an inventor? Artificer?

Olistaff is fine too
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:13 am

Chris wrote:
    navyik wrote:I’’d like to make a rigger or bring Olistaff back…

Rigger was the driver that plugged into cars.  Is that what you mean?  

Or more like an inventor?  Artificer?

Olistaff is fine too

Artificer Battlesmith. He has a 3-legged steampunk drone (flightless).
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:31 pm

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:16 am