Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

4 posters

Table Talk

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Table Talk - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue35/35Table Talk - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Table Talk - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0/0Table Talk - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Table Talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Table Talk

Post  Chris Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:14 pm

Until you touch another inhabited magical item, then the 2 gods will via against each other for inhabitation.  Each character can only gain 1 boon and have 1 god in habit them.  

Like I said, there are pre-scripted areas of the dungeon where the gods have something to say.  They are not going to be talking your ear off, unless you start a conversation with them for the fun of it.  Quite frankly, I am limited in what they can even say, so its mostly just for fun.  

Here is just an example, in the room with the fountain:

9. Magic Fountain
    A large fountain crusted with moss rises in the middle
    of a circular room. Three marble maidens stand in the
    fountain, holding pitchers out of which water flows.

Advice from the Spirits

Any characters inhabited by the spirits of Obo’laka or
    Wongo receive advice when entering this area:
     Cautious Obo’laka advises against anyone drinking from
    the fountain.
     Reckless Wongo encourages his host to drink from the
    fountain.

I would create the actual words, but that is the kind of communication it will be like.

So if your character was inhabited by Reckless Wongo and wanted to drink the fountain (to play the flaw), your other character or Alan's guys might stop him and say its a bad idea.

Wongo is already a match for how you play Baldy, lol
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Table Talk - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue19/19Table Talk - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Table Talk - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue1/0Table Talk - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:20 pm

ok, thanks
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Table Talk - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue35/35Table Talk - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:32 pm

and the offer to switch dungeon masters still stands when you reach level 2.

if you want to be the sadistic DM, I am happy to be abused with Alan. I haven't read level 2 or lower

I can send you the pdf of the dungeon
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Table Talk - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue19/19Table Talk - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:10 pm

I'm not into inflicting misery on people... but today isn't the best day for me to consider this.

Go ahead and send it. I'll think about it if I ever get to a place where I don't want to 'burn it all down'
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:08 pm

we can address it again after the first level is complete and hopefully you are in a better mood. no big deal either way, I am happy running it as long as you are enjoying playing it.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:44 am

just a heads up... Matt has expressed interest in joining the dungeon crawl.

I think Josh must have told him how much fun it was lol!

anyways, I suggested he wait until you guys had cleared level 1 as that seemed a logical point to join and it gave him a couple days to get his character up, catch up on reading the background, etc. I expect it won't take you more than a couple days to finish level 1 at your current pace
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Table Talk - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue68/68Table Talk - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:57 am

👍🏻
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:03 am

word.

I have not talked to Matt recently. My opinions on this 'thing' are not worth mentioning. I'm still on board though (but I'll admit I have no love for these two characters)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:36 am

lol!  you crack me up, Josh

I have been texted Matt over the last couple days

as for your 2 characters, there is nothing binding them to the adventure.  I have no issue with anyone changing characters or introducing new characters or switching DMs. I see this dungeon as a chance to test builds and play lots of different ideas at a faster pace than usual. Whether that comes from character death or just a desire to mess around with builds, it is fine with me

I think it might be prudent to only do so at the completion of a floor, unless the party wipes at some point, lol

When Matt joins would be an ideal time to swap out characters and\or DMs

the only issue and I will just spell it out here, even though it is meta knowledge that your characters don't have, is the magic items with the trickster gods inside of them.  They MUST stay inside the dungeon and cannot be taken out of the story by switching characters.  the trickster gods are crucial to the plot of the dungeon

so if Adder leaves, the Ring or Protection with Obo'laka must stay inside and pass to a new character.  same with the Python staff of Moa.  its not hard to guess, but there are 7 more such items, to go with the 9 trickster gods

Assuming Matt joins, we could stay at 4 characters, if someone else only wants to run 1 guy.  Or go with 5 or even 6 if Matt wants to run 2, but at 6, I would have to start bumping up the fight difficulty, just FYI, like 7 wights instead of 6 kind of thing
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:54 am

oh, I'm funny.... "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, like I amuse you?" Wink

I totally get that the items have to stay here. That makes sense. No worries

I'm mostly just grousing and just had a terrible day yesterday until I took a breath and just tried to deal with it. Ignore my bitching...

I might change characters when we 'finish' this level. The Pally is fine for now but meh, he's a paladin; not that hard to play. The wizard is fine but I really want to try the Necromancer I made (and the Hexblade as well). But it's good for now

I'm of the opinion that we could use a 5th player; just due to how hard this is. But that's not a 'firm position' or anything...

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:00 pm

you have a couple days to think about it, i just wanted to give everyone a heads-up in advance, so you can ponder as needed
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:03 pm

I mean, I would like to change characters just because I want to see how these other two guys would play out and so forth. But i'm not making it something that "has to happen" or anything. But that's my take on it for now
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:08 pm

whit10 wrote:I mean, I would like to change characters just because I want to see how these other two guys would play out and so forth. But i'm not making it something that "has to happen" or anything. But that's my take on it for now

no problem

Chris wrote: I have no issue with anyone changing characters or introducing new characters or switching DMs. I see this dungeon as a chance to test builds and play lots of different ideas at a faster pace than usual. Whether that comes from character death or just a desire to mess around with builds, it is fine with me

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:46 pm

then we all good bro! cheers

frankly, I might want to change at the next long rest? That seemed an ordeal to get to in the first place; so we'll see how I feel when we actually get to that point (lol, assuming Baldric and Adder don't buy it before then)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:50 pm

let's see where we are at when the time comes, those might be one in the same Wink
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:57 pm

yep, sounds good.

I have to tell you... this module would be perfect for an old "zen" campaign. lol

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:10 pm

indeed!

its up to the party, but I don't care if you re-skin things into a sci-fi or other genre. just use 100% 5e rules, like we have been. it wouldn't effect anything if you had a wizard that acted like a techie or a paladin\monk that pretended to be a Jedi

Acererack and his nazi-death-souleating-machine would certainly call to heroes from across the multiverse
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:03 pm

yeah, I didn't think it would be an issue. And that thought occurred to me as well.

Which is why, when I was far more pissy about this, I thought, "gee, a combat engineer team and a Marine battalion could make some serious rubble of this temple"

I know, it wouldn't work out that way. But it was a nice thought. lol

I would actually like to re-skin something to make a Jedi, but just for the challenge of it and to see if these rules would work for them. I'm fine with keeping things as they are, genre-was
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:09 pm

there are lots of cool ways to build Jedi in 5e - Hexblade, paladin, cleric, sorcerer, kensai, etc

the only issue is you can't replicate the blaster deflecting with anything worthwhile. monk deflect missiles is the closest thing, but the way 5e is built, no matter how you skinned it, you would only get 1 deflect\redirect since it would take your Reaction

but barring that... its pretty easy!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:30 pm

I think you're probably right but I think that's where the "special powers" at various levels would come in? - the deflecting blaster shots.

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:51 pm

whit10 wrote:I think you're probably right but I think that's where the "special powers" at various levels would come in?  - the deflecting blaster shots.

that is building an actual jedi class, which is different from "re-skinning" something into a jedi
    very different

feel free to try to build a jedi class, by all means, I would be happy to take a look at it

check out some of the existing feats as possible class-level features (or something similar)

Defensive Duelist Prerequisite: Dexterity 13 or higher
    When you are wielding a finesse weapon with which you are proficient and another creature hits you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to add your proficiency bonus to your AC for that attack, potentially causing the attack to miss you.

this would be another way to handle the deflection, it just increases your AC

or

essentially re-skin Shield Master to Lightsaber Master - use lightsaber to block incoming attacks, etc
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Table Talk - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue68/68Table Talk - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:54 pm

Battle masters parry maneuver? Reskinned arcane selection or shield spell.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:25 pm

There's several ways to get a parry, no doubt.

I think the Battle Master is one of the weakest class options there are, but that's just me. I'm sure they would probably work well in 'buff' party though.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:58 pm

A Fighter (capital F) should always be able to stand without buffs. Battle master has some situational tweaks, some of which are too specific. But I like it for multiclassing.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:25 pm

I just don't think their power really adds up as well as getting improved critical or spells, but that's just me. I tried playing one once, it was before I really understood the game though. I didn't really enjoy it much
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:06 pm

I love Battle Master, personally.  I think it is one of the most unique classes I have ever seen and unlike anything in previous editions of the game.  

It is a support fighter, not a massive damage fighter.  Not everyone needs to deal massive damage to contribute to the party.  

I think 5e did a solid job of making each Class have the option to fill different roles in the party - combat, support and spellcasting.  Within those 3 are the more basic functions of damage dealer, tank and healer.

Fighter
    Champion - combat damage dealer
    BM - support
    Eldritch knight - spellcasting, damage dealer

Rogue
    assassin\swashbuckler - combat damage dealers
    thief - support
    arcane trickster - spellcaster

wizard, sorcerer, cleric are divided by their school or domain into those same roles

Paladin
    ancients - support
    vengeance - combat

Bard
    swords - combat damage dealer
    lore - spellcasting support or spellcasting damage
    glamour - support
    shadows - combat damage dealer

etc etc etc

BM is meant to make everyone around him better - give extra actions, move people, etc

If the BM gives the Rogue an extra attack when he can Sneak Attack, that 6d6 counts as the BM's damage, in my opinion Wink
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:23 pm

oh, agreed. That was what I was trying to say earlier. They are great at support for other combat characters
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Table Talk - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue60/112Table Talk - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:47 pm

Posted up!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:56 pm

nice build.

Chris, did we ever settle if we're just up to 5 now or if someone has to drop a character?? (obviously not Matt, of course)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:07 pm

whit10 wrote:nice build.

Chris, did we ever settle if we're just up to 5 now or if someone has to drop a character?? (obviously not Matt, of course)

5 is fine

if you want to go to 6, then I make it harder encounters Twisted Evil
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:43 pm

oh, I sure as hell don't
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon May 04, 2020 1:21 am

Please see loot thread and verify.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon May 04, 2020 9:40 am

If Matt doesn't chime in, you guys will have to continue without a re-supply until he joins or Josh decides to switch characters at the end of level 1.

I have an idea that will make this easier in the futre, so don't worry, I am not going to be difficult about this part, since the town has established sellers and magic item shops for a reason study
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon May 04, 2020 10:54 am

moved here

navyik wrote:Can you have more than one boon at a time?

no, the gods are jealous and will fight each other. only 1 boon per person
    later gods tend to have better powers too Wink
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon May 04, 2020 10:59 am

for now, I think I'm just going to stick with what I've got. Less complicated that way
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon May 04, 2020 11:18 am

ok, let's continue on with level 1 then

either - Matt will join and that opens the door or we can use my idea once you finish the level

I am not going to slow down the awesome pace you guys have set cheers
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon May 04, 2020 3:13 pm

I'm really enjoying this pace as well.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Table Talk - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue60/112Table Talk - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon May 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Chris wrote:ok, let's continue on with level 1 then

either - Matt will join and that opens the door or we can use my idea once you finish the level

I am not going to slow down the awesome pace you guys have set cheers

I was under the impression you were finishing the level before I jumped in and had asked to be told when it was time to join. Last time I checked on Saturday there was no guidance, and yesterday I was outside and living away from screens. Ya'all go ahead and decide what your deal is and let me know so I know how much I need to track the thread. Cheers.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon May 04, 2020 3:49 pm

yup, I did tell you it was time to join, waited 24hrs,  prompted you again that it was time to join

sorry I am not waiting 48hrs for replies, Josh and Alan post multiple times per day.  This is a fast-paced dungeon with them.  I have encouraged you to play and hope that you will, but the pace isn't going to slow down.

Post  Chris on Sat May 02, 2020 5:40 pm
    the guys are mucking about in an underground river and playing with trapped chests
    as soon as they finish, they will pop back up right next to the front door, which would be a perfect time for you to join. I would guess by tonight or tomorrow morning

I am just going to let your guy enter without dealing with all the traps (and there are several) to even get inside, since it was designed for a party, not a solo character.

Post  Chris Yesterday at 6:08 pm
    hey, are you around?

if you want to join, now is the time
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon May 04, 2020 4:24 pm

This could have been nothing more than a quick speed bump we worked out after getting me plugged in, and then the flow of play would have resumed as normal. Since it was literally too much to trouble hold for a day and work things out in a friendly way, then I think you guys can go on without me here.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon May 04, 2020 4:49 pm

If you had checked the main thread, we DID wait for you, so that we could work you into the story as they literally passed the front door lol!

they are still deciding which way to go, standing by the door

a friendly thing would also be to say, "hey guys, going offline for a couple days, move on without me" and then there are no misunderstandings

if you don't want to play, fine
    if you want to play, you can join right now
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:02 pm

I am going to help Matt get G and Brett started, which will get me back in the GM groove. We will get going again shortly....

bounce
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:11 pm

all good man. Take your time. No rush
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:05 pm

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:45 pm

whit10 wrote:all good man. Take your time. No rush

it figures.... the day AFTER I start running 1 game and make ready for a 2nd....

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/cbi-releases-identity-of-homicide-victim-found-in-jackson-county/

we just got a new F1 homicde Rolling Eyes
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:03 pm

sorry to hear that... you should go private so that you could say "no" to those cases. Smile
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:03 pm

What did your Governor sign today?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:28 pm

navyik wrote:What did your Governor sign today?  

eh? He signed the new law enforcement bill but I think you can wind your watch by how long it will take to be challenged in court.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:40 pm

Ha
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:26 pm

so... Brett dropped out before he even began. We could use 1 more to help introduce the game to G\Jason.
    1st level

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content