Chris
trouble7332
8 posters

OoG Discussion

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue68/68OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0/0OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: OoG Discussion

Post  navyik Tue May 08, 2018 9:27 pm

So can a flaming sphere move through partial squares? Otherwise y'all kinda boxed my spell in where it is useless...
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0/0OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Hmm, that's a toughie. *Time to apply the power of DM rules adjudication headband*

Notice: You do not need Line of Sight to direct the Flaming Sphere, but you do need Line of Effect.

"Flaming Sphere
    2 conjuration
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 60 ft
    Components: V S M (A bit of tallow, a pinch of brimstone, and a dusting of powdered iron)
    Duration: Up to 1 minute
    Classes: Druid, Wizard
    A 5-foot-diameter sphere of fire appears in an unoccupied space of your choice within range and lasts for the duration. Any creature that ends its turn within 5 feet of the sphere must make a Dexterity saving throw. The creature takes 2d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    As a bonus action, you can move the sphere up to 30 feet. If you ram the sphere into a creature, that creature must make the saving throw against the sphere's damage, and the sphere stops moving this turn.
    When you move the sphere, you can direct it over barriers up to 5 feet tall and jump it across pits up to 10 feet wide. The sphere ignites flammable objects not being worn or carried, and it sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet.
    At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 2nd."

The rules for squeezing (PHB p. 192):
    "Squeezing into a Smaller Space: A creature can squeeze through a space that is large enough for a creature one size smaller than it. Thus, a Large creature can squeeze through a passage that's only 5 feet wide. While squeezing through a space, a creature must spend 1 extra foot for every foot it moves there, and it has disadvantage on attack rolls and Dexterity saving throws. Attack rolls against the creature have advantage while it’s in the smaller space."

In reference to the Flaming Sphere, I will say you can squeeze it through a smaller space, but it follows the same mechanics as a creature squeezing through a smaller space (x2 movement). Also, when ramming a creature, or even just putting the flaming sphere adjacent to the target creature (after squeezing), allows Advantage on the target creature's Dex save.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue30/30OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Thu May 10, 2018 4:21 pm

DM: Would you consider the dragon skull to be an "unsecured object"?

"A giant dragon's skull dominates this damp, 15-foot-high cave. You see no other remains, suggesting that the skull was brought here from elsewhere."

Also, what is the material at EF-5? Is there a movement penalty across it?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu May 10, 2018 8:34 pm

The Dragon Skull is unsecured.

The spaces with boulders are considered difficult terrain.

Features of the Area
    Illumination: Dim light. Glowing green moss grows on the walls and illuminates these caves.
    Pool: The pool is fed by a steady drip of water seeping through a crack in the ceiling. The pool is difficult terrain, but the bullywugs ignore this penalty because of their swamp walk trait.
    Ceiling: The ceiling is 15 feet high throughout.
    Difficult Terrain: Squares occupied by boulders are difficult terrain.
    Dragon Skull: The bullywugs found this enormous black dragon's skull in a nearby swamp and brought it here. The interior of the skull is large enough to house a Medium creature. The skull grants total cover to any creature inside it.
    Pit: This sinkhole is 15 feet deep and contains the bones of past meals. A creature falling in takes 1d6 damage. The pit's walls are uneven (Athletics check to climb).
    Pile of Skulls: Creatures can move into the square without penalty simply by kicking the skulls out of the way.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu May 17, 2018 9:28 pm

I was super stoked to pick up the new Tome of Foes D&D book (alternate cover) tomorrow, but apparently it's already been recalled. Some issue with the printing and bad binding.

Fair warning if any of you guys ordered it, you might want to wait for the replacements!
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue86/98OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue11/11OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 pm

I dont even have volos yet, but mordenkainens sounds so great. Dragon Talk, the official WOTC DnD podcast, has a special segment every week with the game designers and theyve been talking about Tome of Foes content for quite some time now.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 am

I am looking forward to it. Especially the higher level CR monsters content. The Monster Manual has woefully few monsters that can challenge higher level characters.

By the way, word on the Net is that the standard cover edition of Tome of Foes is fine. If that doesn't matter to you, then you should be able to pick it up soon.

I would also recommend Volo's Guide. It's got a lot of good crunch for both players and GM's. Quite a few more monsters to add to the game, and some great fluff and lairs maps for a few of the standard D&D baddies.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue35/35OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue May 22, 2018 12:28 pm

not getting emails about updates, even though boxes all checked
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue30/30OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Tue May 22, 2018 12:39 pm

I get them sporadically. It seems that if I log in on different devices that buggers the notifications for a while.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed May 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Gentlemen, after Friday I will have to temporarily, but indefinitely, suspend my mapmaking duties. I'm changing jobs and will be off next week, then getting acclimated at the new company for a bit after that. I imagine I'll have similar capabilities as far as mapmaking goes, it's kind of a prerequisite for a civil engineering firm, but until I get that sorted is anyone open to taking over?

I don't expect the transition to affect my character's participation.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:25 am

The DM will carry on with analog map making in the interim.

I have been swamped with work lately. Should have time to update the game this weekend.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue35/35OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:20 pm

since we are in the middle of selling our house and looking to buy, I won't be resuming my planar travel game any time soon (sorry)

I can do mapping duties

can you send me the PP slide?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:43 am

I still haven't had a moment to sit down to do anything, much less run the online game. Most likely later this week things will slow down.

On the plus side, the new yoga studio is looking sweet!
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:47 am

Chris wrote:since we are in the middle of selling our house and looking to buy, I won't be resuming my planar travel game any time soon (sorry)

I can do mapping duties

can you send me the PP slide?

All my map files are saved here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g1jdqslhqn1pf7y/AACA72NGWvr-Iv2DbHnTSg9xa?dl=0

Starting the new gig today, so I should be ready to resume cartography about the time Rob is ready to resume the game.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue60/112OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Quick Mapmaking 101: You don't need anything besides basic slide making skills and Powerpoint, or free slide making/presentation software (Google Slides or Open Office Impress). Its really 5-10 minutes worth of learning for anyone who wants to teach themselves. About the same amount of user interface that it took to play an Atari game back in the 80s. The biggest time sink is finding pictures you want to use. Google images is good for that. Deviant Art has great character and monster art. Battle maps - google "dnd battle maps", and both reddit and pinterest have great collections.

Basic workflow =

1) Insert or copy/paste picture for map (this can be a slide background or a just a big picture). Insert or build grid.

2) Insert pictures in smaller sizes for PCs, monsters, etc

3) Save file as "master" encounter to be edited as turns are taken.

4) Export file as jpg when you need the picture to post on the forum.

This is all stuff you can make happen by reading the toolbar until you find the option you want. Or you can go to youtube and search how to do "X" in whatever porgram you are using and you'll find 100 videos walking you through it. I would be happy to schedule and teach a "map making and management for online gaming" class sometime in the future via google hangouts or somesuch.

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:53 am

Thanks for the tutorial Matt! I will have to practice when I have time...

Another busy weekend for us. I didn't have time to sit down and run the online game, but I did have a 4.5 hour window on Sunday where I ran a tabletop session with Matt, Bronson, and some others of a scenario concerning Colonial Marines vs Predators. That was off the hook.

So the studio opens tonight. This week should taper off a bit, and I will update the game ASAP.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:55 pm

OoG Discussion - Page 4 Precis10
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:34 am

hey Baldy!

OoG Discussion - Page 4 Frank_10
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:41 am

my maternal grandpa is 3rd in from the right, Tony Coppoletti
    circa 1949, The Ballroom Entertainers in Rockford, IL

OoG Discussion - Page 4 Tony_c12

momma Carole was digging through stuff again
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue19/19OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue1/0OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:04 pm

love the old school instrument cases
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:08 pm

I have that same banjo and case at home still. Evan is taking guitar and I hope to hear him play grandpa's banjo some day
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:22 pm

So I have been kicking around an idea for a game. This is more of a short story than a campaign. It could be run if Rob needs a break or as a sidecar if the group wants. I don't want to detract from Rob's game though.

I would describe this as a Hard Core Survival game. Each player gets 1 character only. If you die, you are out. All characters are Exiles. Each has been convicted of a horrible crime (convicted doesn't mean guilty or evil, though it could) and banished to the Wasteland. It is not a PvP fight as survival odds will improve if the party works together.

Each character will have nothing save their loincloth. The party as a whole will be given a simple set of items, for example: dagger, hatchet, pick, water skin, 50ft rope, etc. That is 1 of each item total, so the party will need to figure out how to work together.

Victory conditions: last man standing wins, find a way out of the Wasteland (100 miles in all directions) or establish some kind of sustainable existence.

CR will be based on level, so choose wisely as a group between 1-10, as you will have little gear to start. Monks will be banned and spells such as Create Food/water unless you are level 1 then it is a reasonable use of class resources. Wizards aren't banned but you won't have a spell book, so other casting classes are probably a better choice. Characters will learn survival skills, as bonus skills, when they +1up based on what they do or make to survive.

The Wasteland is full of wandering fantastic beasts, other groups of exiles and natural dangers. Can you survive?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:31 am

Sounds intriguing Chris! However, I think I will just concentrate on Harkenwold for now.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue60/112OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:52 am

Chris wrote:So I have been kicking around an idea for a game.  This is more of a short story than a campaign.  It could be run if Rob needs a break or as a sidecar if the group wants.  I don't want to detract from Rob's game though.

I would describe this as a Hard Core Survival game.  Each player gets 1 character only.  If you die, you are out.  All characters are Exiles.  Each has been convicted of a horrible crime (convicted doesn't mean guilty or evil, though it could) and banished to the Wasteland.  It is not a PvP fight as survival odds will improve if the party works together.

Each character will have nothing save their loincloth.  The party as a whole will be given a simple set of items, for example: dagger, hatchet, pick, water skin, 50ft rope, etc.  That is 1 of each item total, so the party will need to figure out how to work together.

Victory conditions:  last man standing wins, find a way out of the Wasteland (100 miles in all directions) or establish some kind of sustainable existence.

CR will be based on level, so choose wisely as a group between 1-10,  as you will have little gear to start.  Monks will be banned and spells such as Create Food/water unless you are level 1 then it is a reasonable use of class resources.  Wizards aren't banned but you won't have a spell book, so other casting classes are probably a better choice.  Characters will learn survival skills, as bonus skills, when they +1up based on what they do or make to survive.

The Wasteland is full of wandering fantastic beasts, other groups of exiles and natural dangers.  Can you survive?

Interesting! What system?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:58 am

MAS wrote:

Interesting! What system?

I was thinking 5e since it's quick and easy. 5e also has a great recovery system with the 2 rests for HP.

I look at it as having 2 main elements:

survival\roleplaying - being creative in crafting, foraging and using your brains over dice\skills

hard core combat - normal CRs but limited gear.

normal CRs are for average players. this is a highly veteran group that I am betting can win without magic items or even normal gear, if they put their minds to it
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue19/19OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue1/0OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:04 pm

sounds intriguing but I'm going to have to pass.
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue86/98OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue11/11OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Sounds like a cool concept for when Rob is done or wants a hiatus.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 pm

based on some questions Josh asked via email....

The party will have limited weaponsto start: dagger, hatchet (small axe), pick, shovel, etc. granted that's mostly d6 junk, but it's not nothing either.

The party will need to make or find their equipment. It's not that you never have any equipment, just that you don't start with much.

for examples:
    If you have a hatchet and a pick, you could break rocks and chop off tree branches to make spears for starters.

Find an monster to kill and use it's hide for leather\hide armor, claws for daggers\arrow heads, guts for bow strings, bladder for water skin, etc

make primitive traps
    kill other exiles and loot their gear
    find salt and then dry meat for jerky (iron rations)

magical beasts may have other special properties too!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:42 pm

So does this mean that the other thing you were running is dead?
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:56 pm

Just move to the Denver area, Josh, and you can jump into our biweekly home game!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:18 pm

yeah, wish I could move there right now. I hate Junction and all that it is.

Just can't do it for a while. I miss "real" gaming
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:25 pm

whit10 wrote:So does this mean that the other thing you were running is dead?

not necessarily. like I said this is more of a short story idea, not a long campaign
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:38 pm

I’m gonna pass on this one. I spend a decent amount of time playing Minecraft survival mode with Caleb, and it’s basically the same premise.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Whitey wrote:I’m gonna pass on this one. I spend a decent amount of time playing Minecraft survival mode with Caleb, and it’s basically the same premise.

lol! Anthony and Evan play that a lot too and are always talking about it. That's probably where the idea germinated scratch I hadn't thought of that

and we have been playing a lot of Catan too, which has a fair amount of resource collecting\building etc

it may be an idea better suited for a video game, I don't know. But that's why you guys are a good sounding board cheers
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:33 pm

since I've obviously missed all these kids games (I've heard of Catan but it sounds boring as shit)... when did the builder games become popular again? Didn't that sort of thing die out in the 90s?
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Minecraft is the first really good first person perspective builder. Open world, go where you want, build what you want. Tons of process oriented systems too. Basic circuitry and programming. It’s one of the few games I let Caleb really veg out on because the design principles and learning environment are so sound.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Right on, sounds like a good game for kids
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:26 pm

There is a good community for Minecraft too. They have online "build contests" and the winners get their designs shown on Youtube.

It really inspires meta-game thinking too. For example, you need iron to build certain things, but iron is hard to mine. If you build a village, it will spawn villagers and under certain circumstances enough villagers will cause Iron Golems to spawn to protect the village. Anthony sets ups these Iron Golem farms where they spawn the golem into a series of devices that destroy the golem and harvest iron in chests. Since the golem is destroyed but not the villagers it keeps spawning them over a period of time. Iron farming.

Evan and Anthony build castles full of traps and invite their friends from school to join into the world and see if they can get through the castle. This is a lot like being a digital dungeon master.

They have 4v4 PvP arena matches where you can build stuff and shoot each other.

Anthony is even programming custom mods for it now, so he is learning to code in addition to build within the world.

I agree with Mike, MC is good stuff!

(but maybe not for 45 year-olds playing D&D)
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:31 pm

lol... I can see why kids would like it...

Me, not so much... I don't see much about 'scorched earth' in there Wink
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG Discussion - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue68/68OoG Discussion - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:04 am

Addie loves Minecraft, but only in creative easy mode. But she also plays Diablo 3 and Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare. Crazy kid...
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 am

Hey guys, I'm still compiling materials for the next chapter. Now I have a good idea of the party's next course of action. Should have an update posted this weekend.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks for giving so much attention to detail and story, Rob. I'm enjoying this campaign.
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:09 am

Agreed. Great work this far, Rob!
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:39 am

Thirded. I’ve gone back a couple times to read through each chapter. We’re writing quite the novel here.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:43 am

yes, well done Rob!!

Just to ask... level up?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:10 am

whit10 wrote:yes, well done Rob!!

Just to ask... level up?

Yes. Returning Huron garners a +1 level increase.  cheers
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:05 am

Sweet! Are you allowing feats in place of ability score improvements?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:11 am

Whitey wrote:Sweet! Are you allowing feats in place of ability score improvements?

Absolutely.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:13 am

So, I’m allowed +2 to one ability or +1 to two abilities. Do I take 1 feat or 2?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:29 am

its just one feat or the ability boost(s)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:06 pm