Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

4 posters

Badlands and Broken Souls

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Badlands and Broken Souls Left_bar_bleue19/19Badlands and Broken Souls Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Badlands and Broken Souls Left_bar_bleue1/0Badlands and Broken Souls Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Badlands and Broken Souls Empty Badlands and Broken Souls

Post  whit10 Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:09 pm

After the long rest. Brock comes to the party after spending a few hours in the library.

"I have been reading more of the ancient scrolls.

The Demon’s name was Malorcha the Scourge. She is vile, destructive and seeks to dominate everyone; at least that's the legend. She hasn’t been seen for centuries. She was banished back to her home plane. I think the Witch, if she is the conduit, will probably return to the temple site; assuming it is being used again. We will have to travel through the badlands.. they are full of giants, goblin-folk and other foul creatures. We can ride most of the way but it will get difficult for mounts after a while. Forgive me, I haven't been there in many years. There may be other dangers. The area was declared off limits when we reached an accord with the giants... they were supposed to stop raiding our lands and we would then leave them be.

We should bring extra provisions and water. Most of the water there is fetid and foul."

"one more thing... this symbol is shown in the records but the rest of the page that explains what it is is missing" (he shows it to the party)

Badlands and Broken Souls Demoni10

He goes to get his ram mount ready. Anything else the party would like to do before setting out?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Badlands and Broken Souls Left_bar_bleue68/68Badlands and Broken Souls Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Badlands and Broken Souls Left_bar_bleue0/0Badlands and Broken Souls Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Badlands and Broken Souls Empty Re: Badlands and Broken Souls

Post  navyik Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:50 pm

“Marvin has room for extra water.”
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Badlands and Broken Souls Left_bar_bleue30/30Badlands and Broken Souls Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Badlands and Broken Souls Left_bar_bleue0/0Badlands and Broken Souls Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:27 am

Marvin steps forward and shows the Bag of Holding. “Yeah! Good idea Warhol.” He turns to Brock “Any chance I can fill up my quiver in your armory?”
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Badlands and Broken Souls Left_bar_bleue19/19Badlands and Broken Souls Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Badlands and Broken Souls Left_bar_bleue1/0Badlands and Broken Souls Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:35 am

"certainly!"

any regular gear or weapons/ammo you need are available
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Badlands and Broken Souls Left_bar_bleue30/30Badlands and Broken Souls Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:04 am

“Thank Sir Brock! So..witches…wow. You know, witches do spells and curses and hexes and stuff. If we find her, how do we stop that? If she was riding a lion or something I could deal pretty good with that…but I don’t think I want my legs getting all tangly again!!”
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:31 am

Brock understands your concern. "Now that we know that's a curse, I can help with that with Thuenor's blessing."

He produces a scroll with 1 Remove Curse on it. "I found this in the archives below, I am amazed it survived but Thuenor is very powerful. This could be why they have been targeting his shrines and temples."
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:54 am

Does the scroll go in Marvin’s inventory or stay with Brock?
    After that Marvin is ready to ride!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Badlands and Broken Souls Left_bar_bleue35/35Badlands and Broken Souls Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:10 pm

Gor"Zax would take a heavy crossbow and some bolts, just for a better ranged option.

whit10 wrote: We can ride most of the way but it will get difficult for mounts after a while.

We should bring extra provisions and water. Most of the water there is fetid and foul."

"So what happens to our mounts after the terrain becomes too difficult? If the lands are dangerous and without water, how will they survive or make it back here on their own?"
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:28 pm

"They could be left at a border station if need be. We have some sentries and scouts still in the area; at least they were still there a couple days ago."
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Badlands and Broken Souls Left_bar_bleue35/35Badlands and Broken Souls Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:43 pm

"That is acceptable. I am ready for glory!"
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Badlands and Broken Souls Left_bar_bleue68/68Badlands and Broken Souls Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:48 pm

whit10 wrote:"They could be left at a border station if need be. We have some sentries and scouts still in the area; at least they were still there a couple days ago."

Warhol addresses the horse and the dog. Your two legged friends are worried about whether you can get home safely if we have to cross terrain that you can’t cross. It’s kinda sweet, even if it’s a little demeaning. You can find your way back here, can’t you?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:58 pm

ok, (sorry for the delay)

you set out and the rain has slackened to a persistent mist. The map that Brock has shows a meandering path that leads into rocky terrain and increasing taller hills and then mountains

How do you travel? (order)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:01 pm

Marvin, Brock w map, Warhol, Zax?
    W aerial coverage
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:44 pm

just keep in mind, visibility isn't great right now, even for a bird given the mist and drizzle

(in case you haven't noticed yet, you're basically in Scotland. It rains all the bloody time there, lol)
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:57 pm

Warhol will belay the owl for now.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:30 pm

Marvin will happily take point, keeping the group under whatever cover he can find, preferably trees. He keeps his eyes open for tracks of giants and horned women.

Stealth: Mon Aug 15 2022 21:26:47 GMT-0600 (MDT)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 11 to total : 7, + 11, TOTAL: 18

Survival/Tracking: Mon Aug 15 2022 21:30:06 GMT-0600 (MDT)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 8 to total : 11, + 8, TOTAL: 19

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:03 am

Warhol is traveling as a wolf with keen senses, watching our flanks and rear.

Passive perception 23 for hearing and smell (advantage) and 18 for sight.

Stealth
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +5" :

10 + 5 = 15
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:16 am

Zax will discuss military strategy and tactics with Brock, ask about his Order and anything else he remembers about the history/lore of the demon.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:59 am

ok, I will update later tonight. Feeling rather lousy today and I still have to work.

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:38 pm

Brock sighs "sadly, there is very little else that is preserved in the records. There was a fire decades ago at the temple where these records were kept. The remnants are all that was saved and preserved."

"My order was first established after Malorcha had decimated our people, and the mountain dwarves. Both peoples established a temple and monastery to train and educate a select few warriors that were dedicated enough. Unfortunately, there was a schism between our respective temples many years ago. I haven't seen the mountain dwarf lands since I was a wee one."

(let me know what tactics you wish to discuss)

Marvin... you see tracks after about an hour. They are no more than a couple days old. It's difficult to determine how many individuals have passed due to the rather constant rain. One thing you do notice is that they are NOT giants - if you had to guess, they are goblins or hobgoblins. They all seem to be leading along the same path that you are taking. There are only occasional copses of trees, here and there. You can see what looks like a forest off in the distance, but it's about a quarter mile from the road/path you're on.

Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:42 pm

Marvin will relay what he sees to the group. He turns to Brock “How far off is the border station? We might have some company before we get there…”
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:31 am

whit10 wrote:Brock sighs "sadly, there is very little else that is preserved in the records. There was a fire decades ago at the temple where these records were kept. The remnants are all that was saved and preserved."

"My order was first established after Malorcha had decimated our people, and the mountain dwarves. Both peoples established a temple and monastery to train and educate a select few warriors that were dedicated enough. Unfortunately, there was a schism between our respective temples many years ago. I haven't seen the mountain dwarf lands since I was a wee one."

(let me know what tactics you wish to discuss)

"I have never seen these mountains, I look forward to visiting them with you."

*the last was just general warrior to warrior chit chat to pass the time, like how they use the goats in the battle vs horses (think battle of 5 armies from Hobbit 3, etc)*
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:37 am

sorry Marvin (and everyone) the GM had a brain-fart. Let's back up a moment...

you reach the border outpost before you find the tracks.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:36 am

Ok, so party is now on foot, correct?

The tracks are not more than a couple of days old, which doesn’t help us much as that could mean the goblins are anywhere within a 50 mile radius by now.

What does Marvin know about the typical habits of goblins/hobgoblins? Would his Nature skill cover that? Let’s try:

Wed Aug 17 2022 09:35:28 GMT-0600 (MDT)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 6 to total : 13, + 6, TOTAL: 19

Also DM, the forest you mentioned, is it a quarter mile ahead on our path or is it off to either side?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:48 am

Zax will ask the border guards if they have any news.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:11 pm

Marvin - think CO - they are at a higher altitude above the path and off just slightly in the distance. The are to the south of the road/path.

The goblin folk are known to be semi-nomadic in this area. They stay to themselves and avoid the dwarves for the most part since they don't tend to do well in combat against them (unless they have overwhelming numbers).

The border guards (all 6 of them) are trying to stay holed up in the timber tower. They say that they have seen fires off in the distance, maybe a mile away. No other disturbances otherwise. Brock says that the border is somewhat easy to cross, unfortunately. But they just don't have the numbers to cover it and keep out all invaders/intruders.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:39 pm

"Tell me more about the fires. Have you investigated? Which direction? Is their size that of a campfire or a wildfire? "

Zax gives a frustrated look at Brock for the poor quality of the soldiers reporting.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:30 pm

While Zax challenges the martial wisdom of the border guards, Marvin pulls Warhol aside. “You speak any Goblin? They might have some info these knuckleheads are too afraid to go out and get…”

“I’m thinking we find a game trail to set some traps near. Not for the game but for goblin hunting party…”

Last edited by Whitey on Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:44 pm

the dwarves are full of apologies... "there have been some strange and terrible happenings here my lord. None of us has been able to sleep soundly for a week. Every night, half of the garrison is troubled by tortured dreams. We sent a messenger to the Earl.  Did he ever arrive?" (Brock shakes his head in the negative).

"The fields are drying up and the water is getting poisoned by someone. Sometimes a small group of goblins will come and offer trade goods, but that hasn't happened in over two weeks. In fact, I don't think we've even seen any goblin-folk in the same amount of time... it's like they're just not around anymore. The fires we see are relatively small, like a bonfire but a rather wee one"
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:15 pm

“I can look for goblins from the air. If their numbers are dwindling, then they might be victims in this too.”

Warhol will summon an owl to recon according to whatever information Zax can glean from the guards.  He will immerse himself in the owls senses. If the owl finds anyone, he will use stealth to land in a nearby tree and listen.

What is the time of day?

Last edited by navyik on Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:36 pm

Zax relaxes his stern demeanor, "Thank you for your report. I am afraid we come bearing sad news. The Earl has died after a recent attack on his hall. The murderers were a group of giants with purple veins and a horned woman. We were able to kill the giants, but the horned woman disappeared into thin air. I am truly sorry we were not able to save your Thegn. Have you seen anything like this either in the waking world or the realm of dreams?"
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:38 pm

it is mid-day. Remember, the owl's vision will be somewhat diminished due to the mist but it will still be able to scout.

The dwarf 'sergeant' tells you that they have no idea what is going on. This has never happened before that they are aware of. They normally only need to worry about potential raids from overly aggressive hobgoblins or the occasional fantastic creature. Even the hill giants avoid this area most of the time.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:55 pm

Satisfied with the reports, Zax will climb up the timber tower to get a better view of the surrounding area.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:51 pm

Badlands and Broken Souls Scotla10

you can just barely make out what looks like a plume of smoke rising a couple miles away... but it's very hard to see - west by northwest
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:50 pm

Marvin joins Zax in the tower. He turns to the nearest dwarf “so which way to the ancient temple?”
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:53 pm

Warhol busts out a low throaty resonating tone. As a ritual, he casts Augury.  He gathers sticks and stones and stirs them in the dirt while doing a slow graceless dance.

Augury 2nd-level divination (ritual) Casting Time: 1 minute Range: Self Components: V, S, M (specially marked sticks, bones, or similar tokens worth at least 25 gp) Duration: Instantaneous

By casting gem-inlaid sticks, rolling dragon bones, laying out ornate cards, or employing some other divining tool, you receive an omen from an otherworldly entity about the results of a specific course of action that you plan to take within the next 30 minutes. The DM chooses from the following possible omens: • Weal, for good results • Woe, for bad results • Weal and woe, for both good and bad results • Nothing, for results that aren’t especially good or bad The spell doesn’t take into account any possible circumstances that might change the outcome, such as the casting of additional spells or the loss or gain of a companion. If you cast the spell two or more times before completing your next long rest, there is a cumulative 25 percent chance for each casting after the first that you get a random reading. The DM makes this roll in secret.

“If we try to sneak past the goblins and avoid them to get to the temple, weal or woe?”

Last edited by navyik on Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:18 pm

Zax enjoys the view with Marvin, "this reminds me of my home in the Shadowfell, gloomy and dismal."
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:29 pm

the dwarf that Marvin asked that question of looks utterly perplexed as to what you're talking about. Fortunately, Brock also climbed up with you and points in the NW direction. "I don't have an exact location, but that's the general area. We will probably have to find it ourselves..."

Augury result - nothing

"the bones say...nothing" silent

Badlands and Broken Souls D_kx6c10
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:10 pm

Marvin attempts to look sagely off to the northwest “Fire that way, temple that way…perhaps the temple is on fire!” He shrugs, “Welp, we’ll soon find out. I’m going to head down and feed Chopper, then I say we press on.” He pats Zax warmly on the shoulder to show some solidarity with his friend who is far from home, then heads down the ladder.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:20 pm

yes, Marvin can definitely tell that the fire is far away from your proposed destination.

Anything else before you set out?
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:20 pm

Actually, yes. The dwarves mentioned goblin trade goods. Marvin will ask around and see if he can get a hold of anything they brought for the dwarves and give it to Chopper to pick up their scent.

Marvin’s Animal Handling roll:
    Wed Aug 17 2022 20:19:21 GMT-0600 (MDT)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 7 to total : 6, + 7, TOTAL: 13

Choppers Perception roll (w/ADV for scent):
    Wed Aug 17 2022 20:20:00 GMT-0600 (MDT)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 3 to total : 12, + 3, TOTAL: 15

Wed Aug 17 2022 20:20:00 GMT-0600 (MDT)
    Rolling line 1 : 1d20 + 3 to total : 18, + 3, TOTAL: 21

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:21 pm

they have some goat meat that was brought in. Chopper now has the scent.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:27 am

Great! Assuming Chooper can accompany the party through the badlands even if it’s not suitable for Marvin riding him?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:47 am

GM - is this the point where we go on foot?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:31 am

Marvin and Zax - yes and yes
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:41 am

Warhol busts out the didgeridoo and jams out a gravelly harmonic cosmic groove. Divination as a ritual. (Different from augury).
    “Are the goblins involved with the temple?”

Last edited by navyik on Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:46 am

Zax broods on the view and gesture from Marvin, "Perhaps home isn't a place at all."  Thoughts of friendship and the road ahead lead his mind to his oldest companion in this realm, Arrod.  Zax is unsure what the horse would want and is surprised at himself for even considering that at all.  Normally, he would just leave a few coins with the stable hand for his care.  But after spending time with the turtle.... now he wonders if Arrod would have his own preference?

Zax seeks out Warhol who appears to be playing a strange instrument of some kind, though he isn't sure it sounds like music.  He restrains himself from interrupting and waits patiently for him to finish.

"Glory to you and to your song.  I was wondering if you could... well.... see if Arrod himself has a preference about being boarded here or travelling back to the city on his own or...."   Zax swallows hard at the thought, "set free?  It is possible we don't return.  Even if we do, neither of the first two choices might be any safer than just being a horse in the wild."
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:09 am

just to be clear, mounted riders would have to deal with difficult terrain most of the time. Assuming Arrod can do that, he could come with. But it wouldn't be the best terrain for mounted warfare.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:16 am

whit10 wrote:just to be clear, mounted riders would have to deal with difficult terrain most of the time. Assuming Arrod can do that, he could come with. But it wouldn't be the best terrain for mounted warfare.  

ok, well is this a story issue or a rules issue?

I guess I was hearing a story issue - no mounts from here, no access to food and water, we are about to do a dungeon crawl, wink wink

if its just "difficult terrain" that only means movement is 1/2 speed, which half of 60 = 30 anyways, so its a wash in terms of travel times
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:19 am

it's a bit of both... hint, hint Very Happy

your horse will be entirely safe here. There are stalls for the rams that the dwarves use and Brock has put his in one of the stalls. He sees your worried look and and says "it will be fine my friend, he will be safe here.. if the sentries have to leave, I will tell them to take the mounts back to the great hall."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:37 pm