MAS
Robyo
6 posters

Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Empty Re: Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain

Post  Robyo Thu May 08, 2014 5:33 pm

navyik wrote:Oli will not yet touch the levers.  Just looking.
    14+14=28 mechanics.

Golems  9+14=23

"T...his ancient wrrrrrriting has the ring of a...an e...epithet!  Th...ther IS something strangely occult about this place..."

The three levers appear to open the door. Raising the levers in the wrong sequence likely results in a trap. There are vented holes in the stone floor. What comes out of them?

After one hour of work, Oli is able to restart one ergo, you decide which. It will take 3 more hours and 3 more successful skill checks to reboot the others.

It appears that the mechs were powered-down by remote transmission.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Empty Re: Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain

Post  Robyo Thu May 08, 2014 5:35 pm

navyik wrote:Wait, con bonus to vitality for each level?

No. Bonus added to the yield of level x 5.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri May 09, 2014 12:47 pm

Oli starts bob up first. "Fix jay and then both of you help ray and candy."
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri May 09, 2014 1:56 pm

navyik wrote:Oli starts bob up first.  "Fix jay and then both of you help ray and candy."

Good idea. Bob and Jay are both Savants, so their Mechanic skill is +15, but they don't have Technics skill. Ray and Candy are of lower intelligence: +5 Mechanics.

It appears to Oli that the hardware which is receiving the data from some external source is of electrotech in nature. It is hard-wired into each of the golems' computing chasis (brains). Let us call it a "tether", and it is comprised of a higher caliber technology then the rest of the golems' mechanization. To try and disable the tether, it requires a Technics check and one additional hour of time from Oli for each golem. The tethers also appear to be booby-trapped.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri May 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Arcturus2 wrote:If we are camping here, Traveler will see to preparing an evening meal from our supplies.

He also volunteers for first watch, since he is still at full vitality.

He will tend the fire and patrol the area occasionally.

The adventurers camp for the evening at the weird site. The night is very dark, because of the absence of the moon. An ominous vibe fills the air.

During Traveler's turn at watch, a strange thing happens. The green woman he had envisioned days earlier suddenly appears standing in the camp.
    "Greetings, Monk," she says smiling. "It is I, Gyana Gyshmara, Protector of Elyssia, the Green Realm. I come to you in this time of great peril and darkness to ask you and your companions for help."

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]" />

"As you have no doubt witnessed, our beloved moon has been snuffed out, replaced by a void. I can say, behind the scenes, there are divine powers at play. The gods are forbidden to  interfere directly in the affairs of this plane. There is an alien presence that has tipped the scale of cosmic balance. My order are known as the Icons and we are nine, pledged to protect the nine distinct realms of Aerth. In our home realms we have considerable power and influence, but we can not affect the realms of our peers."

At this time, Traveler notices that Gyana has become surrounded by members of her court: nymphs, a sprite, a dryad, a warden, an enchantress, some snakes, and a wood elemental. There are also two winged folk.

The rest of the companions hear and see the arrival of Gyana and her court. They also gather around.

"The dark ones are an advanced race of alien beings, not even from this universe. It seems they have entered into a pact with Korvox, the protector of Orro, the realm of the Underdark. I can not accompany you in that realm, but I will give you aid."

She holds up a crystal ball. And a swirling image comes into view. It is a subterranean hall and a ritual is taking place. "This is a glimpse into the events that transpired earlier," Gyana says. "The tempest elemental was lured underground, below this very spot, where it was then bound and sacrificed in a hideous ritual."

"It's energy channeled through a great crystal and rose up through the ground and passed through the circle here. What was the purpose of their dark ritual? We do not yet know. A company of Asimar have already been dispatched to investigate the void, but they have not returned.

"I do know some things about the land we stand upon. This territory is a nexus point and is highly charged with elemental energy. The wardens can not easily observe this area, which is why the warning was posted. The one you ignored.

"Yet, you defeated the mimic, which I or the wardens had not even known was here. This place was once the land of the Horden family cabin. Long ago, Maggie Horden was an apprentice of mine, but only for a time. Then her true colors became known, and she joined a covey of hags, and she became their leader. The hags were eventually defeated, but Maggie had other plans, for she had made herself a lich and burrowed a lair below the ground here. The other hags still serve her as shadows and wraiths.

"I understand that her undead cohorts would be attacking you even now, under the darkness of a moonless night, except that I have cast a dome of protection over this spot for the rest of the night. As for the dark ones, they will likely have retreated to their hive on White Mountain. Yet Maggie and her undead minions still haunt the dungeons below.

"I give you these stones, hollowed from running water. Keep them on yourselves and the dark ones will not be able to read your thoughts, for they are masters of preternatural psionics."

By dawn of the next day, Gyana and her followers depart. She is urgently needed at a counsel of her order. She takes Bluetwig with her, since he is an emissary of Greenwyrm. Klandor and Vyrm stay behind with the adventurers.
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Fri May 09, 2014 11:05 pm

cheers Heavy duty storytelling!

When I'm home from work in a few hours I'll have some dialogue and a question or two from Traveler, before the Green Lady departs.
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Sat May 10, 2014 2:46 am

Traveler Monk listens intently to the beautiful green Lady.

When she finishes speaking, he accepts the stone of p"otection she offers him. He bows deeply and tells her..

"Thank you for your aid and protection, Lady Gyana. Your wardens have been valuable companions to us."

"I accept the stone of protection you offer, and will do all that is in my power to stop this evil plot of the dark ones. It seems the situation is as serious as I had feared, and that we have a common goal. Demonic and extraplanar forces seek to destroy our world. We must preserve life and bring harmony and balance back to the universe."

Monk pauses, considering carefully..

"Though I cannot speak for my companions, I know that my Goddess Esmariah would wish me to take this path offered."

Traveler Monk rises.

"When I enter this 'Underdark', realm of Orro, what is it exactly that you would have me do? Is ther anything else you can reveal that may help me?"

Monk will hear her response, if any. Then he thanks her again, and turns to bid his goodbyes to Blue Twig.

Bowing to the treant, he says..

"Thank you for your aid on this journey, master Blue Twig. We have been well met and I am honored to count you a friend. May the Goddess Esmariah smile upon you and may peace and joy follow you all your days."

After saying his goodbyes, Traveler will retire and sleep soundly, trusting in the protective magic Gyana has cast.

Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Sat May 10, 2014 3:13 am

Cool  cool story

but.... I vote for passing on the undead coven of lichs, shadows, wrights and former-hags. To Virgil, they are more of a local threat, as opposed to the greater danger of the alien-psionic Dark Ones in White Mountain. Perhaps they are working together in a pact, not sure.

Virgil wants to continue on our way after first light, taking the road to the White Mountain. That is also the path his god Stolgar suggested, which seems to correspond to the primary enemy mentioned by Gyana.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat May 10, 2014 7:47 am

The green lady smiles at the monk. "The choice is yours alone, for which path to take. Your arrival in these woods was unforeseen, yet much appreciated. I feel the Fates have yet a hand yet to play in this ordeal."

"It has been my honor to serve with thee," says Bluetwig. "May Greenwyrm continue to guide your journey. The road's end is not far. I trust your party will arrive at the mountain before day's end."

With that, the visitors depart and the heroes are left alone with their golems and horses and wagons. Oh, and Klandor and Vyrm who were instructed to continue onward, even beyond the great forest. "I've never been to White Mountain before," he admits. "It will be exciting! There are many stories of the tribal folk and giants that inhabit the mountain." Then he looks around and says quietly, "And of dragons, undead, and bandits too."

The party now decides whether to stay and investigate the lair of the hag-lich, or continue down the road. Sounds like Virgil is ready to keep going to the mountain. There's always the third option of giving up and going back to town for a stiff drink.

We will continue the story in another thread. I'll be gone for a week, but do expect to have internet access, so can still answer questions.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat May 10, 2014 8:45 am

"W...well... We h...have seen our vulnerabilities recently. Its n...not wise to leave a threat behind us. Could g...get... sandwiched!"
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat May 10, 2014 9:00 am

Can Oli get them running without disabling tether? Is the boobie-trap a bomb.
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Sat May 10, 2014 11:21 am

navyik wrote:"W...well... We h...have seen our vulnerabilities recently.  Its n...not wise to leave a threat behind us.  Could g...get... sandwiched!"

"Very true, Oli. However, I would add that the hag-lich sounds like it has been here for a very long time and they have never attacked Pestilence or were even detected. On the other hand, the Dark Ones just recently attacked Pestilence with a tunneling worm and seem to have been infiltrating town with the demon-possessed cyclops prior to that. The disappearance of the moon is a major concern, but that has already attracted the attention of other celestial groups. My duty is to Pestilence and its people first, but I know I can't do it without all of your help."

* Virgil will do whatever, just roleplaying
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat May 10, 2014 1:44 pm

navyik wrote:Can Oli get them running without disabling tether?  Is the boobie-trap a bomb.

Yes, the golems can all be rebooted, but they are still subject to remote over-ride, and possibly surveillance.

The tethers are set for auto self-destruct, if tampered with, so yes, a bomb.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat May 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Chirs2 wrote:[

"Very true, Oli.  However, I would add that the hag-lich sounds like it has been here for a very long time and they have never attacked Pestilence or were even detected.  On the other hand, the Dark Ones just recently attacked Pestilence with a tunneling worm and seem to have been infiltrating town with the demon-possessed cyclops prior to that.  The disappearance of the moon is a major concern, but that has already attracted the attention of other celestial groups.  My duty is to Pestilence and its people first, but I know I can't do it without all of your help."

* Virgil will do whatever, just roleplaying

"Um... M...marshal," (calmly), "the sudden disappearence of the moon," (extreme excitement, volume, eyes wide, and waving of hands), "is subjecting all of aerth to vector forces too numerous to calculate, m...much less ex...plain!  If we dont act quickly there m...mat not BE an aerth by the time we get to white mountain!"
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue19/19Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue1/0Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat May 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Neraka nods at Oli's words.. "my people thought little of the Texans when they first arrived too... I think we should keep moving on."
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat May 10, 2014 6:37 pm

whit10 wrote:Neraka nods at Oli's words.. "my people thought little of the Texans when they first arrived too... I think we should keep moving on."

" n...no! It hap...pened from here. We need to look here first!"
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue60/112Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat May 10, 2014 8:26 pm

"That made mah head achey. Sounds like bad mojo, but I cant see how to go about fixin it. Somebody just gotta tell me what thuh job is, and Ill get at it."
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Sat May 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Traveler agrees with Oli.

"It seems to me that the moon disappearing into a void is a bit more than a 'local problem', Sherriff Virgil. I think it would be incredibly unwise to ignore this development."
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Sat May 10, 2014 10:09 pm

Arcturus2 wrote:Traveler agrees with Oli.

"It seems to me that the moon disappearing into a void is a bit more than a 'local problem', Sherriff Virgil. I think it would be incredibly unwise to ignore this development."

Virgil shakes his head, "I do hear you, but I also heard what Gyana said.  This threat isn't being ignored, she and her counsel of 9 "Icons", whatever those may be, are fully aware of it and have already sent their servants to investigate.  The Lich\hags have been here a long time and obviously posed little threat.  That is, until they joined forces with the alien dark ones.  The dark ones are the threat, I prefer to deal directly with a threat, than with minions that may be meant only to slow us down or distract us.  We don't know what happened to the moon, nor do the Icons.  It may be a mirage for all we know.  We do know that the dark ones are in White Mountain, they have attacked Pestilence and may very well be the source of all the portals and rifts that are tearing our world apart."

for reference, an edited version of GM posts

Robyo wrote:

"As you have no doubt witnessed, our beloved moon has been snuffed out, replaced by a void. I can say, behind the scenes, there are divine powers at play. The gods are forbidden to  interfere directly in the affairs of this plane. There is an alien presence that has tipped the scale of cosmic balance. My order are known as the Icons and we are nine, pledged to protect the nine distinct realms of Aerth. In our home realms we have considerable power and influence, but we can not affect the realms of our peers."

"The dark ones are an advanced race of alien beings, not even from this universe. It seems they have entered into a pact with Korvox, the protector of Orro, the realm of the Underdark. I can not accompany you in that realm, but I will give you aid."

A company of Asimar have already been dispatched to investigate the void, but they have not returned.

Long ago, Maggie Horden was an apprentice of mine, but only for a time....  but Maggie had other plans, for she had made herself a lich and burrowed a lair below the ground here. The other hags still serve her as shadows and wraiths.

and just to add the meta-gamer argument.... we are not at all equipped to handle a dungeon full of undead. none of us has any "ghost-touch" abilities, we have no clerics, no paladins, etc. Undead will be very tough for us specifically. I would much rather face robots and psionic-wizards
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon May 12, 2014 4:00 pm

A good case can be made for either: stay and investigate further or continue on down the road... So, what is the party's consensus? I just need to know what I should be planning for next.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue60/112Pt. 5: The Journey to White Mountain - Page 9 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon May 12, 2014 4:57 pm

JH doesn't care, but Matt agrees with the assessment of the party's ability to deal with undead. Lets get on down the road.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon May 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Oli agrees to keep moving if he can briefly study the magic energies at the stones.
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Tue May 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Monk will bow to the wisdom of the group conscience but he doesn't like it much.

Dan understands the decision to skip this one.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue May 13, 2014 6:04 pm

Identify on the henge.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue May 13, 2014 7:22 pm

navyik wrote:Identify on the henge.

Within the circle of stones, it is a Supermagical Realm. Visitors to a supermagical realm encounter the following effects.
    Magic Flows: Magic abilities cost ½ normal vitality.
    Versatile Magic: A character can attempt to use any magic
    ability of a tier they normally have access to by passing a DC 12
    Arcana check.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat May 24, 2014 9:40 pm

The adventure continues in thread Part 6: Mountain of Doom...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 7:30 pm