Chirs2
Robyo
6 posters

Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Empty Re: Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom

Post  navyik Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:26 pm

whit10 wrote:...or it just doesn't work that well.  Just sayin'

This coming from guy who thinks all monks walk around wearing pajamas and bards have to dance and sing in silly costumes. This is WHY radiance is cool... But i do prefer PF when i get a long leash.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue19/19Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue1/0Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:43 pm

wow... hyperbole anyone?

I don't think that at all Alan. I've always said, you choose the character and you do what you want with it.

Radiance has many flaws that have not been addressed. Not Rob's or anyone else's fault.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:48 pm

tongue jocolor 
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:17 pm

This has been an informative exchange for me to watch. Some nice points were made. I haven't really tried anything new with Monk since the Town Barbecue thread. We'll see what else he can do.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue60/112Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:10 am

JH didn't get to try much of his "bells and whistles" in the "house battle" because I wasn't sure if the fear effects would work against the foe. This battle, I should be able to stretch my legs a bit, so to speak.
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:45 pm

So are we still playing? Who's up?
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:47 pm

Robyo wrote:

Oli is up.

Oli was up and declared his actions yesterday.... before we all got sidetracked
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:02 am

~Oli casts Fascinating Machine, summoning an ergo 30' across the river, putting it on the boulder at R-11. The new ergo makes a standing long-jump 30' to land at L-10, still shy of the proposed target captive.

*Ray and Candy do not have clear LOS to the bandits furthest away, because of trees and boulders in the way. They do have LOS to the bandit at J-11, but the new ergo is moving towards him to try and capture him. What actions does Alan prefer the ergos to make instead?

~Klandor moves down the shore and climbs a boulder to be at S-7. Vyrm tries to stay hidden amongst the brush and trees, beside a shallow ravine at S-6.

Bandits:
    ~The guy at M-3 shouts, “Remember the bargain, men! No prisoners!”

~G-6 shoots twice at his com-padre at B-15. Both shots are hits and that guy is killed. Then G-6 leaps off the edge of the boulder and into the brush below.

~J-11 shoots twice at the new ergo closing in on him. He hits the construct once. The machine is injured, but still in the fight.

~M-3 shoots twice at his com-padre at J-11, hitting both times and killing him. Then M-3 leaps off his boulder to the ground below.

Navajos:
    ~Stormcrow fails her swim check and she slips back under the churning water.

~Kai and Niyol both run along the shore near to where Stormcrow disappeared.

~Warpath managed to pilot his craft to the river bank.

~Yiska disembarks her canoe, grabs a rope, and runs along the shore to O-21.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]" />

Monk is up.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:39 am

Chirs2 wrote:I don't see how my attack is any more boring than JH swinging a hammer every round.... or more boring than Neraka using the same claws\bite every round.... or more boring than Monk using the same flurry of blows, with divine fire (or whatever his 'every attack' special ability is called) every single round.

Virgil has to use a move action and spend -2 vitality to make that attack - unlike the above examples, who can just keep attacking 'ad nauseum'

This ability, for Gunslingers, seems to be intended for a small group of spells - Shocking Grasp (Daze), Fire Bolt (burning in 2nd round, instead of Daze), Animate Rope (which Virgil has and has tried to use once but has no effect vs a rifle or melee wpn), Pain Weapon (Daze, but less damage), Force Push (push back or knock prone, which I considered but it lacked any additional damage), Scare (only vs really low level), and Grease (which is just weak).  

Of those, Shocking Grasp is clearly the best, with Fire Bolt, Force Push and Animate Rope coming in 2nd. The rest are pretty lame in comparison.  

In order to do this combo, I had to buy Gun Magic (basic) + Gun Mage (Int.) + use 2 of my Theme abilities.   Gunslingers also have a built-in ability to learn any magical ability from any other class, which they can take up to twice.  They can also pull magical abilities via Arcanist and Dilettante themes, which is what I did.  They need the minimum Int to use the spell, but it doesn't say they use that classes Prime, they become GS abilities.  It seems this was clearly the intention of the class, to be something of an "arcane archer" with a gun.

If you decide to nerf it, which is entirely your call, then I will just reallocate all those abilities, since it isn't worth it for a 1\fight\day ability.

I will just use my Adv Tier ability every round instead:

Killing Shot: As a move action, the next foe struck by your
    firearm that round must resist using Reflex or be reduced to -1
    wounds and begins dying. Even if it successfully resists, it suffers the
    weapon’s normal damage. Costs 5 vitality.

again, tied directly to my firearm shot, vs Ref, costs a Move action + some vitality, usable every round

I don't mean that to sound like a bully or a threat, but just as an example that there are other Gunslinger options, that do far worse and are spammable.  GS, imo, are meant to be a "killer" class.  They lack any melee ability, are limited in magic, have only 1 good defense and limited skills (unless you multi-class, which I did).

Virgil should also be paying the 1 Vitality cost for Shocking Grasp. Total of 3 Vit.
    Virgil did use Animate Rope successfully against one of the warden archers. Again, it costs an additional 1 Vit, besides the 2 Vit for Gun Mage.

We'll call it fine for now, but part of the reason I chose using Radiance system was because of the plethera of abilities and options available to PC's. I just want you guys to be as creative as possible. If characters do the same thing every round, y'all might as well be playing AD&D fighters: “I swing... I swing... I swing...”

It tends to feel like we're just going through the motions, ticking off rolls and familiar attacks. I'd also like to see more RP and descriptions of actions. There was a lot more RP at the beginning of the adventure. I could choose to reward XP for doing so, but it seems more fair to keep everyone at the same level.

Also thinking of granting +2 or +4 bonus to skill checks that are described with some detail. Rather than a lazy "I check for traps," or something. Like, how do you check for traps? What does your character do? Get out the 10' pole and poke around the floor? Does anyone know what I'm saying?

whit10 wrote:Radiance has many flaws that have not been addressed.  Not Rob's or anyone else's fault.

Aspersions anyone?
    We realize you think we're having badwrongfun playing this game. Making passive aggressive comments helps not at all. What flaws are you referring to, of which I haven't already tried to address with house rules?

I'm sorry we're not playing PF or whatever it is you want to play. PF has been a nonstarter on this forum, as you know. I don't really want the hassle of trying to DM it, at least on this forum, which takes up far too much of my time already.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:46 am

"Ray, if the water wont damage you, then please help storm crow. Candy, please ready yourself to fire... Try to just contain them," though oli isnt sure how that works..
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:51 am

navyik wrote:"Ray, if the water wont damage you, then please help storm crow.  Candy, please ready yourself to fire... Try to just contain them," though oli isnt sure how that works..

"Yes Master," says the golem and strolls into the rapid waters.

Not sure what you mean by contain them?
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:22 am

Robyo wrote:
    Virgil should also be paying the 1 Vitality cost for Shocking Grasp. Total of 3 Vit.
    Virgil did use Animate Rope successfully against one of the warden archers. Again, it costs an additional 1 Vit, besides the 2 Vit for Gun Mage.

We'll call it fine for now, but part of the reason I chose using Radiance system was because of the plethera of abilities and options available to PC's. I just want you guys to be as creative as possible. If characters do the same thing every round, y'all might as well be playing AD&D fighters: “I swing... I swing... I swing...”

It tends to feel like we're just going through the motions, ticking off rolls and familiar attacks. I'd also like to see more RP and descriptions of actions. There was a lot more RP at the beginning of the adventure. I could choose to reward XP for doing so, but it seems more fair to keep everyone at the same level.

Also thinking of granting +2 or +4 bonus to skill checks that are described with some detail. Rather than a lazy "I check for traps," or something. Like, how do you check for traps? What does your character do? Get out the 10' pole and poke around the floor? Does anyone know what I'm saying?  

Ah, my bad, you are right.   I think I was paying -3 in the past, now that you mention it.

Virgil is -2 more vitality than listed

I agree about the lack of descriptiveness, but it isn't just this game.  It happened in SW all the time.  Usually in the beginning, everyone is keen to talk about their characters and how they act.  Then over time (3-4 months) the shininess wears off the new toy.  I recall asking for the same thing at least twice during the 9 month SW bender.  I will try to be more descriptive.

Robyo wrote:

whit10 wrote:Radiance has many flaws that have not been addressed.  Not Rob's or anyone else's fault.

Aspersions anyone?
    Making passive aggressive comments helps not at all.

I'm sorry we're not playing PF or whatever it is you want to play. PF has been a nonstarter on this forum, as you know.

PF being a non-starter is not a flaw of the system.

I would disagree about Radiance offering a plethora of abilities, that is PF's strength.  Radiance, imo, has other strengths like it is fast, it has reduced the number of dice rolls and character\NPC generation is quick and easy.  It has far fewer options for abilities and skills than PF\d20, that is one of the trade-offs for a faster system.

Look at Oli compared to a 9th level caster in PF\d20

Until 9th, I literally had 1 basic pew-pew attack and Gun Mage (which cost me 3 feats + a move + 3 vit each round) for combat options.  Now I have 2 and the 2nd is an instant-death spammer.  Like Alan said, we only get 1-2 tricks, we should use our best one.

Radiance also tends to be brutally deadly in combat - low vitality and full of insta-nuke abilities (Disintegrate, high damage, etc).  If you don't use your insta-nuke abilities and take out (or daze) enemies very quickly, you could die in almost any round.  I feel like, for survivability, I have no choice but to use my strongest ability or I might be dead the next round.  That dark mage, depending on his rolls, could have killed any one of us in 1 shot.  I was compelled to stun-lock him.  Bluetwig\Mimic did so much damage, you can't soak it.  

Anyways.... Radiance is fast and fun, but I feel like I have to play it more like checkers than chess  afro
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:54 am

"Bagwrongfun" is like "thoughtcrime." Gary Gygax is watching! jocolor 
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:55 am

Robyo wrote:[

Not sure what you mean by contain them?

Neither is Oli... scratch 
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:01 am

Chirs2 wrote:
    Robyo wrote:

Ah, my bad, you are right.   I think I was paying -3 in the past, now that you mention it.

Virgil is -2 more vitality than listed

I agree about the lack of descriptiveness, but it isn't just this game.  It happened in SW all the time.  Usually in the beginning, everyone is keen to talk about their characters and how they act.  Then over time (3-4 months) the shininess wears off the new toy.  I recall asking for the same thing at least twice during the 9 month SW bender.  I will try to be more descriptive.

Robyo wrote:

Aspersions anyone?
    Making passive aggressive comments helps not at all.

I'm sorry we're not playing PF or whatever it is you want to play. PF has been a nonstarter on this forum, as you know.

PF being a non-starter is not a flaw of the system.

I would disagree about Radiance offering a plethora of abilities, that is PF's strength.  Radiance, imo, has other strengths like it is fast, it has reduced the number of dice rolls and character\NPC generation is quick and easy.  It has far fewer options for abilities and skills than PF\d20, that is one of the trade-offs for a faster system.

Look at Oli compared to a 9th level caster in PF\d20

Until 9th, I literally had 1 basic pew-pew attack and Gun Mage (which cost me 3 feats + a move + 3 vit each round) for combat options.  Now I have 2 and the 2nd is an instant-death spammer.  Like Alan said, we only get 1-2 tricks, we should use our best one.

Radiance also tends to be brutally deadly in combat - low vitality and full of insta-nuke abilities (Disintegrate, high damage, etc).  If you don't use your insta-nuke abilities and take out (or daze) enemies very quickly, you could die in almost any round.  I feel like, for survivability, I have no choice but to use my strongest ability or I might be dead the next round.  That dark mage, depending on his rolls, could have killed any one of us in 1 shot.  I was compelled to stun-lock him.  Bluetwig\Mimic did so much damage, you can't soak it.  

Anyways.... Radiance is fast and fun, but I feel like I have to play it more like checkers than chess  afro

Okay, I wasn't trying to incite an argument comparing the two systems. As I've always said, I'm happy to be a player in PF, but I don't care to GM it. It's a nonstarter, meaning, no one who has volunteered to GM it has carried through. Matt ran a module for a couple encounters, but I came in late on that one.

Frankly, I'm tired of the complaining! If you guys don't want to play this game, that's fine! It's your prerogative. I've got a ton of things I can do besides try to run something no one wants to play. And we all have lives besides. I thought we might at least finish this encounter. But I really don't give a shit anymore. Sheesh.
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:28 am

Robyo wrote:
    Okay, I wasn't trying to incite an argument comparing the two systems. As I've always said, I'm happy to be a player in PF, but I don't care to GM it. It's a nonstarter, meaning, no one who has volunteered to GM it has carried through. Matt ran a module for a couple encounters, but I came in late on that one.

Frankly, I'm tired of the complaining! If you guys don't want to play this game, that's fine! It's your prerogative. I've got a ton of things I can do besides try to run something no one wants to play. And we all have lives besides. I thought we might at least finish this encounter. But I really don't give a shit anymore. Sheesh.

Rob, I honestly wasn't complaining, I was just discussing the 2 systems.  I talked about both their strengths, not just bashing 1 and praising the other.  And none of that discussion had anything to do with your game or the way you are running it.  If you took it that way, I apologize.  You are doing a good job running the story and creating interesting encounters.

I do think you are taking our criticisms of Radiance as personal criticisms against you, which were not my intention and I don't think the intentions of the other comments.  I know that GM fatigue is very real and I do think we should rotate games more frequently to keep everyone fresh.  Matt and Josh can figure out who is next and should start planning accordingly  study

but I would like to finish this encounter and leave everyone at a reasonable spot to stop - like maybe the injun village?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue19/19Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue1/0Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:34 am

yeah, I wasn't complaining about you at all dude. I think you've done a good job with a flawed game (I've been consistent on this one). I'm enjoying it but I don't think that pointing out the flaws in the mechanics is a knock against you in any way.
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:24 pm

I dunno, I like radiance. It's easy to build for and play. There are a whopping TWO books, with everything one needs to build a PC, set an encounter and get playing. It's a pretty solid effort from one individual. I like that combat is deadly. Ideally, that forces one to think a little harder before picking a fight, maybe try bargaining or diplomacy.. To me, that's more enjoyable than meet monster, kill monster, rinse and repeat.

I guess Monk has used some abilities... He's done a trip, ranged disarm, exorcism, used his FP to clear deadly acid spores.. lately we all haven't been role-playing as well as we should. That's not on Rob. He's created a world and done a good job telling his story.

The more diverse we are with our abilities, the more questions will come up regarding game mechanics. No way around that. But I think Rob has done his job as GM and ruled fairly regarding the flaws we've encountered in the radiance system . Pathfinder is a lot bigger game, like 30 friggin books, and still suffers from flaws in game mechanics. That's what the GM is for. There can't be a rule for everything, and when you try, you wind up with D&D 2.0.

So, I like this game. Rob asked us to do a better job telling our half of the story. Fair enough. I'd like to know what happens in the Weird West.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Thanks guys. I'm really not mad or anything, but I suppose burn-out is rapidly on-setting. My summer is filling up with other commitments (musical endeavors and otherwise) and I really need more time to concentrate on them. Though I do love gaming!

I do want you guys to have a good time and I respect you all as friends. I'm not interested in being "that guy" who keeps his players on a short leash, or makes them play checkers when they'd prefer to play chess.  drunken 

Also, I never said Radiance was perfect, but thanks Josh for the reminders. I just thought it would be crunchy enough to keep folks interested. I do like the ease of making monsters and NPCs and the streamlining of feat bloat. If it's not a good fit, that's perfectly fine. At least you guys were willing to try it and I can't fault anyone if it isn't enjoyed.

The system's setting DOES lend itself pretty well to a Wild West/Victorian age genre. But it was like my third suggestion, after suggesting 4e and 13th age were shot down.

And I'm sure it's possible to run the genre with PF, but I just don't want the hassle of all the rules that entails. At least, for an online deal, where the GM is checking in at least once a day. If we were all sitting at the table once a week or something, I'd probably be running a more bloated system (I have like, a zillion d20/3rd edition books), but I want to keep things streamlined, because PBP gaming takes so much attention. It is nice that PF keeps a data base of all their rules in the form of the PRD. An excellent resource, certainly. Still doesn't cut down on GM chores, however.

So Dan pretty much hit it on the head, as far as my reasoning goes for using Radiance on the forum. I like that it's deadly. I like that it's steamlined. I don't like that it's not perfect, but what can ya do, besides prop shit up with house rules?

Which reminds me, does anyone have interest in trying out Roll20 website? It's tabletop gaming, but online. Doesn't take the time commitment that Play-by-post does. We'd just have to schedule it, which is tough, I know.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:34 pm

Back to the game: I think the Navajo village would be a good place to "pause" this campaign, so we can try someone else's groovy adventure.

The bad guys are currently in escape mode. Rather then let their fellows be captured, they preferred to kill their mates, one that was dazed and the other one that was nearly captured by Oli's ergo. The last two are on the run. Maybe Monk can try to capture one before he runs into the woods?

Monk is up.

Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Virgil will try to catch them as well, on his turn. He can fly (no terrain to worry about) up to 90 if he Hustles.
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:28 pm

Oh yeah. That's his plan... I'll post his turn about 1am after I get home.
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:41 am

Monk attempts to flee from the hail of bullets which pierce the air around him. With no other place to hide, he jumps from the tall rock and lands nimbly on his feet, concealed in the brush below. He is stinging from the bullet which grazed him.

He stands in the shadow of the tall rock, and he becomes aware of a gentle breeze which passes through his robes and begins to dry his sweat, cooling his skin. He becomes aware of the contrasting colors in the fern fronds which surround him, gently brushing his face, arms and hands, as they, too, dance in the breeze he feels. His heart rate slows, and his nostrils flare as he takes in the rich scent of the gently decomposing, fertile black soil in which he stands.

He is still dimly aware of the noises of battle which surround him; a far away part of his mind hears Oli shout instructions to his damnable machines, the Navajos shouting to each other, the bandits, JH or Neraka roaring in anger.. From his faraway place he hears the gunfire and explosions of dynamite, but they grow fainter.

In his head he journeys back to his childhood home in the monastery. He remembers the soothing shades of green and the smell of the garden soil which he used to till for the Brothers who lived there. He smiles faintly as he thinks back to one of his oldest teachers, the ancient monk, brother Xzhang Chou..

Xzang Chou seemed to young Traveler to have been one of those people who had been simply born old; the wrinkles in his leathery skin and kind but drooping face were so deep that they seemed impossible. The young boy thought that this man must have been old even when the earth was young. He was too old to train or to do much else useful, so in those twilight years, he simply puttered around the large vegetable gardens that the Monks kept, tending what he could, and talking to the young apprentices and alcolytes who toiled there.

It was him who first taught Traveler the sanctity of life, stopping him from killing the small beetles which chewed patterns in some of the leafy vegetable greens which grew. "All life is sacred, and every pest serves it's purpose under the Gods, young one'', he was fond of telling the boy. It was a lesson which the boy never forgot.

As he thinks back to his old friend in that garden, thinks back to the life giving soil and the wholesome things that grew there, he feels the stings from his wounds begin to fade away. No longer does he feel the furrow that the bandit's bullet drew along his flesh. He feels his strength and vitality begin to flow back into him, seemingly drawn from his memories, perhaps by the Grace of his Goddess Esmariah herself.

He begins to leave his memories and return to the present day. He feels a pang of regret as he thinks back to the violence he has done recently. He allows himself, for one brief moment, to wonder if perhaps he was wrong to leave his mountain home and journey west to find his destiny. but only for an instant. Oh, how far he has strayed from his mountain home! Then he remembers his visions of his Goddess and knows he still has her blessing. In an instant, he offers a short prayer:

Thank you, my lady,for helping your humble servant in his time of need. Thank you for reminding me of my holy vow to protect life and bring peace and justice wherever I may...

Rejuvenated, Monk is ready to act. He hears Oli call for a prisoner, and he hears the bandits turn their guns upon each other. He thinks to himself, Perhaps they are more than simple robbers, if they would rather die than to be captured.. are these men part of the evil plan into which I have been drawn? Let us find out!

He tunes his sensitive ears to a voice, which he believes to be the closest bandit to him. he crouches, preparing his muscular legs for a great leap in that direction. Ready... ready.... NOW!

Monk jumps as far as he can toward the bandit he heard. His lithe body flies through the air, with the sashes of his robe flowing out behind him. He makes a perfect leap and lands lightly on his feet, about fifteen feet from a marauder...

(Standard action: Rakasha Jump to P-2)

Quick as lightning, before the man can react, Monk rushes him. He flows toward the man like water...

(Move action: P-2 to M-1)

He attacks the man with everything he has, calling upon his Goddess for strength...

Esmariah, guide my fists this day!

(Spend Faith Point for extra Standard Action: Knockout attempt on baddie in L-1. Reference Rules on page 227.)

Attack 1: 1d20+14 (16+14)=30
    Attack 2: 1d20+14 (17=14)=31
    Attack 3: 1d20+14 (20+14)=34

Wohoo! Awesome rolls! Attacks are 1 each vs. Fort, Ref & Will.. Let's see if Traveler Monk gets a prisoner!

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:33 am

Now THAT'S descriptive!  cheers 

Monk leaps like a panther on the hunt. He runs down the fleeing bandit and with Esmariah's guidance, renders the evil-doer unconscious. Nice.

JH is up.

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue60/112Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:01 am

Am I correct that the only bad guys left are at d4 and L1?

Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:15 pm

MAS wrote:Am I correct that the only bad guys left are at d4 and L1?

L-1 is unconscious. D-4 is the only one left standing.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:13 pm

To my understanding -

We have allies that are still in the water? Does JH have a general idea where they are/ may be?

He can still swim and rescue while raged!
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:43 pm

MAS wrote:To my understanding -

We have allies that are still in the water? Does JH have a general idea where they are/ may be?

He can still swim and rescue while raged!

Sure, he has an idea... Stormcrow is injured and went back under the water around E-17. Ergo Ray is currently on his way to attempt a rescue. The golem is underwater, probably at M-18 or so.

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:57 pm

whit10 wrote:yeah, I wasn't complaining about you at all dude.  I think you've done a good job with a flawed game (I've been consistent on this one).  I'm enjoying it but I don't think that pointing out the flaws in the mechanics is a knock against you in any way.

No problem, man. Guess I'm just a little sensitive since you started edition warring with me as soon as I came on the forum. It's all good though. Feel free to voice opinions on any system, but you don't need my permission!

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:00 pm

I've never made any apologies or excuses for my hatred of 4th edition. Whatever floats yer boat man, it ain't personal.

and again, I think Radiance has some great ideas and options... I just think the mechanics are screwed.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:01 pm

navyik wrote:"Bagwrongfun" is like "thoughtcrime."  Gary Gygax is watching! jocolor 

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Ok -

John Henry movement is currently 40 (w/ +10 from growth potion)

Move action: Run as far along the bank towards the area where the drowning allies were last seen as that will take him.

Swift action: End rage (JH is now fatigued, -2 to all D20 rolls)

Standard Action: Drink potion of water breathing.

______

John Henry's blind rage subsides as the reality of the Indian's plight takes hold. But never fear, this is a task of labor made special for a man like John Henry!

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:33 pm

none of those Indians are Comanches right? Neraka wouldn't care that much unless they were (historical accuracy.... who knew?) Wink
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:40 pm

Round 4: +3

Old Bill spends his turn making a Heal check on himself. He tears strips of cloth from his coat and binds his wounds.
    "This ain't no typical bandit raid," he huffs. "It's a hit job, pure and simple. You boys swindle a highborn, or something?"

Virgil is up.

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:50 pm

whit10 wrote:none of those Indians are Comanches right?  Neraka wouldn't care that much unless they were (historical accuracy.... who knew?) Wink

Unless Neraka is good, of course, but you didn't list your character's alignment, so hell if I know. Druids must be (some kind of) Neutral. But no, these natives are Navajos, not Comanches. Stormcrow had mentioned earlier there are a few Comanche visitors at their encampment.
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:46 pm

Robyo wrote:
    Virgil is up.

Lafett knows there were more bandits around the big bend in the river, but he isn't sure where they are hiding. Lafett ignites his jet pack (-1 flit mantle) to gain flying speed 30' as his standard action and will add his move action for another 30' flying to what looks like the highest point of the central rock out-cropping at H-13.

Lafett's duster begins to swirl, faster and faster, until it seems to ignite itself. Flames shoot from the whirling mantle and lift Virgil into the air like Harrier jet. Lafett leans forward slightly with his torso which angles the jet blast and propels him low across the raging river. Lafett straightens his body to cease the forward momentum and then leans back slightly so as not to overshoot his mark and land in the river. Dirt and dust spray in a small vortex around his landing zone as he touches down.

Virgil's keen eyes search for any remaining bandits, his rifle drawn and ready.

Perception to spot the 1 at d4?

Roll(1d20)+16:
    13,+16
    Total:29
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:15 am

Wow dude, I'm totally sorry on that one. I had no idea I hadn't listed an alignment. He's Chaotic Neutral.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:03 am

Virgil propels through the air and lands on the big rocks across the river. His keen eye vaguely sees the bad guy crouching down at D-4. The boulder and brush gives the guy cover. Virgil has LOS, but 90% miss chance.

Does Virgil have anything else?

If not, Neraka is up.
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:11 am

Robyo wrote:Virgil propels through the air and lands on the big rocks across the river. His keen eye vaguely sees the bad guy crouching down at D-4. The boulder and brush gives the guy cover. Virgil has LOS, but 90% miss chance.

Does Virgil have anything else?

Virgil Hustles (-1) and spins his Spencer around, charging the ancient Norse runes with Freya's energy (gun mage, animate rope -3).  The runes glow with a pale violet color and the energy on the sigils snakes up and down the rifle.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

To D-4 "All yer buddies are dead, no point in joining them.  Come out with yer hands up, don't die today for these bastards!"

Virgil will aim his Spencer at D-4 and ready an action (Faith point) to take 2 shots.  Condition: if D-4 moves out of cover in any way that is not clearly a surrender.   If Virgil is unsure, he will shoot first and try to catch him in the Animated Rope.  Virgil wants a prisoner, but he won't chance another enemy escaping either.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:55 am

Neraka will bellow at the remaining baddie:

Intimidate:

Roll(1d20)+6:
    16,+6
    Total:22
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Virgil gives fair warning, Neraka bellows.

Oli (+ ergos) is up.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:36 pm

"Candy, can you lob a shell over and past that guy? I dont want to hurt him, just encourage him to surrender. Ready yourself to fire only if he runs."

Are there any wounded? Oli will attend to them. "Jay, Bob, once your canoes are ashore, please help ray rescue storm crow."
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:56 am

Any PC's near Oli are welcome to speak up, if they want the wizard's healing.

~Candy fires a warning shot past the crouching bandit.
    ~Ray has disappeared under the surface of the turbulent river, presumably still searching for Stormcrow.
    ~Jay and Bob move down their respective sides fo the shoreline.
    ~The newly summoned ergo moves up besides Monk to offer any assistance.

Bandits:
    ~One is still unconscious.
    ~The other one slowly rises from behind the boulder. "Don't shoot, I'm coming out," he shouts and throws down his rifle. With his hands placed on top of his head, he moves down to C-10.

Navajos:
    ~Stormcrow still does not return up from under the water.
    ~Kai and Niyol shed moccasins and clothing in preparation of jumping in the river, once Yiska arrives with the rope.
    ~Yiska continues down the river bank towards Kai and Niyol, rope in hand.
    ~Warpath disembarks and moves down the shoreline.

map updated:

Monk is up.
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:59 pm

Monk looks at the unconscious bandit laying at his feet. He hears the last bandit call out his surrender over the sound of the rushing waters...

What kind of weapon(s) is the unconscious bandit carrying? Presumably a rifle and/or pistol? Dynamite?

Confident that the fight is over, Monk quickly unloops one of the flowing sashes on his robe. Unwrapped it is about 8 inches wide and 8 feet in length. It is made of sturdy silk from his home in the east amd is quite strong. He hears the mechanical noises of Oli's toy approaching him, so he drops the sash by the bandit and says to the ergo..

"Please use this to tie his hands behind him. Do it securely but do not injure him further. Then confiscate his weapons".

Monk then carefully wades into the river at K-3 to begin looking for Stormcrow..

Any perception roll or anything that might help him spot her in the river?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:06 am

Arcturus2 wrote:Monk looks at the unconscious bandit laying at his feet. He hears the last bandit call out his surrender over the sound of the rushing waters...

What kind of weapon(s) is the unconscious bandit carrying? Presumably a rifle and/or pistol? Dynamite?

Confident that the fight is over, Monk quickly unloops one of the flowing sashes on his robe. Unwrapped it is about 8 inches wide and 8 feet in length. It is made of sturdy silk from his home in the east amd is quite strong. He hears the mechanical noises of Oli's toy approaching him, so he drops the sash by the bandit and says to the ergo..

"Please use this to tie his hands behind him. Do it securely but do not injure him further. Then confiscate his weapons".

Monk then carefully wades into the river at K-3 to begin looking for Stormcrow..

Any perception roll or anything that might help him spot her in the river?

The summoned ergo begins binding the unconscious bandit. The KO'd man has in his possession, a rifle, a revolver, and a bandolier of extra bullets. He is also carrying a sack of coins, and a device like the com-link Virgil found (then destroyed) back in town.

Wading knee-deep is fine, but anything beyond that, and Monk will have to make Swim (Athletics) checks to keep from being taken with the current. In the middle, the river is 10' deep or more. Monk feels jagged rocks beneath his feet, running along the river's bottom.

He also cannot see anything under the water. The river is frothy and muddy. Stormcrow was last seen around E-16 when she managed to resurface, but then was pulled back under.

JH is up.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:56 am

Assuming that is JH at S 18 ish?

John Henry dives into the river to start hauling out drowning Indians.

Athletics check -

Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +15" :

17 + 15 = 32
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:07 pm

MAS wrote:Assuming that is JH at S 18 ish?

John Henry dives into the river to start hauling out drowning Indians.

Athletics check -

Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +15" :

17 + 15 = 32

John Henry makes a double move to swim the distance S-18 to E-16. The current is strong, but the strongman slices through the water like melted butter.

He passes Ray, who seems frozen in mid-stride, standing at the bottom of the river.

At the end of his swim, JH sees Stormcrow. Her foot is stuck in the hole of a rock near the bottom. She is weakly trying to free herself. This part of the river is a spiral current sucking her down, like a mini-whirlpool.

JH is out of actions unless he spends an FP.

Round 5: +4

Virgil is up. Waiting on JH response.

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Spend the FP!

Need a roll ?
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:18 pm

MAS wrote:Spend the FP!

Need a roll ?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Some possible Standard actions:
    Move the rock or try and break it, give me an Athletics check.

Free Stormcrow from the rock by twisting her leg (without hurting her), give me an Acrobatics check (Escape).

It takes a move action to get her up to the surface. I guess you can try that next round.
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:35 pm

Can Virgil see Stormcrow and\or JH under the water?

Virgil is at H-16, just up on the rock from E-16

perception
    Roll(1d20)+16:
    16,+16
    Total:32

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:47 am