Chirs2
Robyo
6 posters

Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom

Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Empty Re: Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom

Post  Arcturus2 Fri May 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Monk concurs. He'll see to everyone's horses and the wagons, if we want to camp.

Where the hell is Oli? JH is probably off getting drunk somewhere... drunken 

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri May 23, 2014 7:33 pm

An hour before dusk, several riders arrive at the trading post. Riding up on horses, there are a couple native scouts and four government cavalry men. They unload several packs of medical supplies from their horses and pass them out to the tribal folk. Soon afterwards, the soldiers depart, heading back to Fort McMillan.

The heroes make camp for the evening and the night passes without incident. The trading post closes for the evening and the golem guardians are dispatched to patrol the perimeter. It is the first time the heroes see them move at all. The golems walk slowly, red eyes scanning the darkened woods.

The next morning, the natives make ready to depart. They strike their tepees and load up their canoes with medicine and supplies.

"Have you fellas decided what way you're going?" asks Old Bill. He is cooking a breakfast of beans and bacon on the campfire.

The adventurers can try to continue the journey by horse and wagon through the foliage (no road anymore). That route would be slow going. Or they can accompany the natives on canoe going upriver. Old Bill doesn't have a horse, he doesn't care which method they choose to travel. Neither does Klandor.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat May 24, 2014 11:59 am

Arcturus2 wrote:Where  the hell is Oli?

Good question. Hope I didn't piss Alan off or something.
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Sat May 24, 2014 2:23 pm

Nah, the weather gets nice and people just get busier I guess. I've been working nonstop, overtime all weekend and moving my girlfriend in.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat May 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Arcturus2 wrote:Nah, the weather gets nice and people just get busier I guess. I've been working nonstop, overtime all weekend and moving my girlfriend in.

Coolio... Agreed the weather has been great (finally)!
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Sat May 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Robyo wrote:
    Arcturus2 wrote:Where  the hell is Oli?

Good question. Hope I didn't piss Alan off or something.

Alan has been commenting in WoD on a regular basis, but he has yet to post in this thread. I have a feeling he just didn't notice that the story moved to a new thread.

Alan mostly posts from his phone, which if it is like my phone, does not show the standard browser format of the forum and just takes him to the link of the thread for which he got the alert, which is only threads you have already commented in.

Probably a quick email or post in chpt 5 would get his attention
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat May 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Chirs2 wrote:Probably a quick email or post in chpt 5 would get his attention

Reminder posted in last thread.

Still waiting to hear where your guys are planning to go and how they plan to get there. Virgil wants to avoid potential undead (the mines) and Traveler doesn't seem scared of them. That still leaves: visiting the Navajo camp, or going to the crater lake, or doing anything else you can imagine.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat May 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Umm... Had no idea.  Shocked 

Oli would be most concerned about sick people.

"P...pardon me, ma'am, did you s...say your tribe has an illness? Good g...olly! P...please tell me about it!"

Any of it sound magical, like a curse?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun May 25, 2014 12:05 am

Oli would have looked around the post to see if he could sell his carriage for anything good there. Not offering yet. Just looking. He would also have attempted conversation with the golem guards. "Good evening!"
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun May 25, 2014 8:32 am

navyik wrote:Umm... Had no idea.   Shocked 

Oli would be most concerned about sick people.

"P...pardon me, ma'am, did you s...say your tribe has an illness?  Good g...olly!  P...please tell me about it!"

Any of it sound magical, like a curse?

Thank goodness! I've been missing Oli.

Stormcrow explains that the affliction is beyond her powers and herbal knowledge. She isn't sure if it's magical or a curse or what. That is why the tribe requested medicine from the government.

Oli is reminded of the native woman who approached his wagon back in town, demanding a cure for her grandson's consumption. She also said she'd come from White Mountain. Perhaps this plague is similar?

navyik wrote:Oli would have looked around the post to see if he could sell his carriage for anything good there. Not offering yet. Just looking. He would also have attempted conversation with the golem guards. "Good evening!"

Oli is welcome to try and sell his carriage. There is the standard/mundane stuff inside the trading post. Arcane items are hidden behind the counter and in the back room. What is he interested in trading for?

The golem guards ignore Oli's attempt at conversation, standing still at the post entrance. "Hey! Leave that one alone," says one of the proprietors inside. "Them ergos are for security purposes only, not for chit-chat. You want to make a deal, talk to me."
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun May 25, 2014 9:38 am

"Oh! Um... V...very sorry, j...just trying to be p...polite. I uh... Have s...something to trade. M...may I see the ar...cane selection?"
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Sun May 25, 2014 10:32 am

Virgil is fine going to the injun camp to check on the sick as a first step
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun May 25, 2014 11:59 pm

navyik wrote:"Oh!  Um... V...very sorry, j...just trying to be p...polite.  I uh... Have s...something to trade.  M...may I see the ar...cane selection?"

The atlan waves Oli to come to the back room behind the counter. The goliath Kojak is waiting back there to ensure there's no "funny business" from the customers.

Oli spots the following items advertised as arcane:
    ~staff
    ~shotgun
    ~whip
    ~leather armor
    ~shield
    ~12 potions
    ~4 scrolls
    ~3 tomes
    ~bag
    ~goggles
    ~gloves
    ~bracelet
    ~head-dress
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon May 26, 2014 12:06 am

Robyo wrote:
    navyik wrote:"Oh!  Um... V...very sorry, j...just trying to be p...polite.  I uh... Have s...something to trade.  M...may I see the ar...cane selection?"

The atlan waves Oli to come to the back room behind the counter. The goliath Kojak is waiting back there to ensure there's no "funny business" from the customers.

Oli spots the following items advertised as arcane:
    ~staff
    ~shotgun
    ~whip
    ~leather armor
    ~shield
    ~12 potions
    ~4 scrolls
    ~3 tomes
    ~bag
    ~goggles
    ~gloves
    ~bracelet
    ~head-dress

"S...so what do they do?"
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon May 26, 2014 8:32 am

navyik wrote:"S...so what do they do?"

The proprietor looks perplexed. "What're you interested in, city-slicker? I'm happy to oblige ya with more details, just point me to something specific. I'm a busy man, y'know. Ain't got time to describe every little doodad and whatzit to any passer-by that wanders back here." Oli notices there is no other customers around. "Of course," the atlan continues, "it helps my motivation if I knew what all you've got that's worth trading for these fine items."

"He's got some of them ergos, Boss, like the sentries that guard the basecamp," adds the goliath.

"Yeah, I noticed. Where'd you get yours?" he asks Oli. "They up for trade?" He leans back in a chair, lights up a match and put it to a freshly-rolled cigarette. He exhales smoke and half-smiles.
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Mon May 26, 2014 9:36 am

trade him 1 ergo for the whole lot!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon May 26, 2014 12:05 pm

"Heh heh.. They're not for sale... B...but i do h...have a very nice steam p...powered wagon. I...its roomy!"
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon May 26, 2014 2:26 pm

navyik wrote:"Heh heh..  They're not for sale... B...but i do h...have a very nice steam p...powered wagon.  I...its roomy!"

"Too bad you ain't got the magical version. That's worth something really nice. Still, I could used a steam-powered one. You've got 5,000 gp to barter with, hoss."

Oli can trade his wagon for one of the following:
    ~Dazing Staff
    ~Arcane Shotgun
    ~Bag of Holding
    ~Astral Codex

or two of the following:
    ~Lightning Whip
    ~Demonskin Leather
    ~Magic Shield
    ~Darkvision Goggles
    ~Gloves of the Magi
    ~Protective Bracelet

Potions and scrolls are one shots and they are pretty cheap, comparatively.
    ~Potions of any basic ability from Witch
    ~Scrolls of any basic ability from Wizard

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon May 26, 2014 11:40 pm

Oli would choose the codex, though to be honest, he cant use it til 20th level... Maybe i should take the bag of holding... Or 2 pair of darkvision goggles...
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Mon May 26, 2014 11:47 pm

ask what the arcane shotgun does?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon May 26, 2014 11:49 pm

Its in the book. +2 hit +5 dmg oli is an artificer... He can make one.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue May 27, 2014 7:33 am

navyik wrote:Oli would choose the codex, though to be honest, he cant use it til 20th level... Maybe i should take the bag of holding... Or 2 pair of darkvision goggles...

Characters gain their first Paragon ability at 14th level. Oli would be able to benefit from the book at that point, though it IS awhile down the line.

There's only one of anything, so a pair of darkvision goggles and something else from that last.

Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Tue May 27, 2014 11:12 am

let's turn bandit and knock over the joint  Twisted Evil 

we got a 2:1 ergo advantage
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue May 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Oli will take the bag of holding... After he, jay, and bob get his stuff out of the wagon. "I S...suppose i will need this without the w...wagon."
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue May 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Oli takes the bag of holding and Kojak accompanies him back outside. Ernst and Kojak secure the horesless wagon and take it around back to a large workshop.
    "We'll take good care of her," Ernst says, taking the controls in hand.

Is there anymore business at the trading post?

As for the trek, do the heroes accompany the natives on canoe back to their camp?

Or do they can go by foot (which will take many hours)? Old Bill knows the way.

Old Bill can also lead the way to the mountain peak or the abandoned mine. Whatever the party prefers.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue May 27, 2014 6:38 pm

"W...well i think we oughta see if we can help the tribe... There m...may be clues there too!"
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Tue May 27, 2014 6:49 pm

navyik wrote:"W...well i think we oughta see if we can help the tribe... There m...may be clues there too!"

I agree, Bill can come too if he is welcome
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue May 27, 2014 9:51 pm

So the party wants to go to the tribe camp, that's cool. Do they walk, which will take many hours, or go with the tribal folk up the river on canoe? What then about Monk's wagon and horse? What about Virgil's horse?

Just trying to make sure everyone is on the same page, before I move the story along.
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Tue May 27, 2014 11:04 pm

are there any stables here that will board the horses?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue May 27, 2014 11:23 pm

"Um... Ray? How much do you weigh?"
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed May 28, 2014 6:13 am

Yes, there's a small stable. $5/day for housing, feeding, and exercising horses. Wagon can be parked for free.

Ray and Candy are fairly heavy and too large to fit in a canoe. They can however, fold into their sphere-forms to fit inside a canoe. Or they can stay back at the trading post.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed May 28, 2014 8:01 am

"Sorry you'll miss the view, Candy, but you and ray will have to fold down for this."
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Wed May 28, 2014 8:30 am

Robyo wrote:Yes, there's a small stable. $5/day for housing, feeding, and exercising horses. Wagon can be parked for free.

Virgil buys a bushel of apples from the trading post and then barters with the stable hand, more to get a sense of his character than to save $.

Detect Evil on any stable hands present and other horses in the barn. Virgil will look for the Marshall's horse, High Dollar while he is in the stable.

"Howdy lad. If I pay you $6 per day, will you promise to feed Cajun a couple apples a day? If I am not back yet, use the extra money to buy more apples and I will reimburse you when I return. How about I give you $60 now for 10 days to start and pay the rest on pick up?"
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Wed May 28, 2014 12:12 pm

After Virgil makes a deal with the stablehands regarding his horse, Monk will do the same. 10 days in advance and any balance on pick up, plus a 10$ tip for them to split. 60$ total.

He'll go ahead and just park his wagon, we may need it on the return trip.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed May 28, 2014 5:56 pm

The stablehand is a hunchback tween named Zeke. He is flabbergasted by the money being shown to him by the kind strangers. Usually the boss deals with all currency, and Zeke receives a pittance at the end of the month. He never learned to read and sometimes he gets his numbers mixed up, but he dearly loves horses.

"Th-thank you, kind sirs. The horses will be a' well-cared-for, you have my w-word," he says.

Satisfied their steeds and wagon are settled, the heroes head down to the river bank to board the canoes.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

There are 11 wooden canoes that each can carry 2 persons + supplies. There are 7 Navajo tribal folk gathered around, who will be heading back to camp. There are 5 PCs, plus Old Bill, Klandor, Vyrm, Jay, Bob, and the two golem spheres (Ray and Candy). There are several large sacks of medicine and other supplies.

Canoe/Riders:
    1 - Northstar
    2 - Chooli
    3 - Stormcrow
    4 - Kai
    5 - Niyol
    6 - Warpath
    7 - Yiska
    8 -
    9 -
    10 -
    11 -

Please let me know how your characters wish to ride (stern or bow) and in which # canoe. The Navajo are all skilled and happy to do steering duty. The trip is upriver which can be slow and tedious.
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Wed May 28, 2014 7:32 pm

Robyo wrote:The stablehand is a hunchback tween named Zeke. He is flabbergasted by the money being shown to him by the kind strangers. Usually the boss deals with all currency, and Zeke receives a pittance at the end of the month. He never learned to read and sometimes he gets his numbers mixed up, but he dearly loves horses.

"Th-thank you, kind sirs. The horses will be a' well-cared-for, you have my w-word," he says.

Satisfied their steeds and wagon are settled, the heroes head down to the river bank to board the canoes.

There are 11 wooden canoes that each can carry 2 persons + supplies. There are 7 Navajo tribal folk gathered around, who will be heading back to camp. There are 5 PCs, plus Old Bill, Klandor, Vyrm, Jay, Bob, and the two golem spheres (Ray and Candy). There are several large sacks of medicine and other supplies.

Canoe/Riders:
    1 - Northstar
    2 - Chooli
    3 - Stormcrow
    4 - Kai
    5 - Niyol
    6 - Warpath
    7 - Yiska
    8 -
    9 -
    10 -
    11 -

Please let me know how your characters wish to ride (stern or bow) and in which # canoe. The Navajo are all skilled and happy to do steering duty. The trip is upriver which can be slow and tedious.

Traveler Monk is happy to ride in the bow of #1 with Northstar.

Unless the party wants him to paddle #8 with supplies/NPCs, which he is also happy to do.

He is +3 to pilot, which should cover a canoe IMO..

Sheriff Virgil is in charge, so let him decide.

Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Thu May 29, 2014 12:11 am

Robyo wrote:
    Canoe/Riders:

6 - Warpath

I saw DoFP, Virgil will ride with Warpath in the stern. I have a feeling this trip will be anything but tedious....
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu May 29, 2014 12:33 am

Oli would like to ride with stormcrow if theres roim for ray too. Spread the other ergos out. "If we get separated, protect and stay with your canoe crew and get to their village."
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu May 29, 2014 9:03 am

Because each canoe only allows room for 2 characters (2 medium-sized slots) and gear, and the golem spheres take up a slot each, I put Oli with Ray in their own canoe. Stormcrow agreed to take Candy.

I put Neraka with JH, but Josh and Matt are welcome to chime in if they prefer their characters to be otherwise.

The {s} indicates who is riding stern, and effectively piloting the craft.

Chooli, Niyol, and Kai elected to ride solo, but their canoes are packed with medicine, supplies, and gear.

Canoe/Riders:
    1 - Northstar {s} + Monk
    2 - Chooli {s}
    3 - Stormcrow {s} + Candy (sphere)
    4 - Kai {s}
    5 - Niyol {s}
    6 - Warpath + Virgil {s}
    7 - Yiska {s} + Jay
    8 - Oli {s} + Ray (sphere)
    9 - Neraka {s} + JH
    10 - Old Bill {s} + Bob
    11 - Klandor {s} + Vyrm

Last edited by Robyo on Thu May 29, 2014 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    Chirs2
    Chirs2

Post  Chirs2 Thu May 29, 2014 9:07 am

Just a heads up.....

Matt has visiting Josh in Grand Junction for the last 2 days, so I am not surprised they are offline for a bit. Matt spent 2 days with us and prior to that a day in Denver with Whitey and Maloney. I think Matt is going to stay with our friend Tim after GJ, so he may be out a bit longer.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu May 29, 2014 9:20 am

Chirs2 wrote:Just a heads up.....

Matt has visiting Josh in Grand Junction for the last 2 days, so I am not surprised they are offline for a bit.  Matt spent 2 days with us and prior to that a day in Denver with Whitey and Maloney.  I think Matt is going to stay with our friend Tim after GJ, so he may be out a bit longer.

Okay, cool. We'll just roll as things are for now.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu May 29, 2014 10:24 am

If ray and candy are light enough, oli could put them in bag of holding?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue19/19Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0Pt. 6: Mountain of Doom - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu May 29, 2014 11:18 am

boats eh? Neraka ain't happy about this.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu May 29, 2014 1:18 pm

navyik wrote:If ray and candy are light enough, oli could put them in bag of holding?

500 lbs max for the bag of holding. Considering all the other stuff transferred from his wagon, Oli can only fit one golem sphere inside the bag.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu May 29, 2014 1:53 pm

Robyo wrote:
    navyik wrote:If ray and candy are light enough, oli could put them in bag of holding?

500 lbs max for the bag of holding. Considering all the other stuff transferred from his wagon, Oli can only fit one golem sphere inside the bag.

Ray.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu May 29, 2014 5:37 pm

The weather of the day is warm and sunny. The canoe caravan treks up river. The waterway winds back and forth and the current is brisk, making progress go slowly. Many large and jagged boulders sit along the banks of the river.

After a few hours of paddling, Northstar gains a serious look. "We must be extra quiet and careful," he says. "Bandits have been known to hide in this territory."

Perception checks from all, please.
    Arcturus2
    Arcturus2

Post  Arcturus2 Thu May 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Traveler Monk perception: 1d20+16 (11+16)=27
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu May 29, 2014 8:43 pm

6+13=19
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu May 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Traveler hears a bird-like sound from behind a large boulder. Suddenly there is movement on both sides of the river as armed gunmen quickly move into position. The bird-call was a signal. It's an ambush!

Wisely, Monk gives a shout of warning to the rest of the party (I would expect). The bandits lose their surprise round.

Everyone please roll initiative.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]" />

Canoe/Riders:
    1 - Northstar {s} + Monk
    2 - Chooli {s}
    3 - Stormcrow {s}
    4 - Kai {s}
    5 - Niyol {s}
    6 - Warpath + Virgil {s}
    7 - Yiska {s} + Jay