Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

5 posters

Fighting for FLAK - combat only

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty Re: Fighting for FLAK - combat only

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:29 pm

MAS wrote:Tson will have LOS on the target hex from his originally stated endpoint.

correct, I was just taking the opportunity to explain my take on the grenade over cover issue since it is likely to come up study 
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty Re: Fighting for FLAK - combat only

Post  MAS Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Red - firing point - what level of cover is this?
    orange - firing path and target

Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Fighti11
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue19/19Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Double move to K whatever (third down from the top) near the top of the rock formation.

Stealth check (-5 penalty?)

Roll(1d20)+2:
    7,+2
    Total:9

Ignite the saber too since that roll sucked ass
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Chris wrote:
    T'son 23
    Daxx 21   *9 rds BM
    Scouts - Garindan\Trando 20
    Rakhu 19   * permanent BAMF *
    Sharpshooter on rock 16
    Sharn 12   *8 rds EA
    door guards 9
    droid guy 8  ------- dead
    droid 6    ----- blown to bits

moves noted below

The Trando calls out in Huttese, "Poodo, Jedi!  Du led snell, eh, rosta Wookie pel?"  (Shit, a Jedi!  What's that smell, huh, burnt Wookie fur?).  He then hurls a grenade over the fallen tree where Daxx and Sharn are gathered.  He targets the Hex directly behind Daxx, since he saw them run up to the fallen tree and knows Daxx's location for sure and has a general idea of Sharn's.

The Trandoshan Scout hits the target square without missing due to concealment

damage: 14
    reflex DC 15 for half damage

The Garindan on the speeder really wishes he had Shot on the run scratch .... in lieu of that, he will fly around to the south to gain a LOS on T'son.    He turns and points the main gun of the speeder at T'son and fires, but the blast from the cannon misses.  The Garindan pounds his fire control in frustration.

Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Fighti22

Rakhu is up, BAMF still active? we shall see....
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue19/19Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:16 pm

one of the reasons I reactivated EA...

Reflex
    Roll(1d20)+10:
    16,+10
    Total:26

I assume that's good enough? 7 damage?

Daxx's Vitality: 37/44 (I may have miss-recorded his max vitality earlier)

as for shot on the run... wouldn't help. Fly (or Ride) By Attack would be the appropriate feat methinks.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:29 pm

yup, DC 15 was listed.

Ride\Fly by attack, yeah that's probably more accurate, not that he has that either
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:44 pm

\"Chris wrote:I was actually referring to the fight at the ranch, not the AoO, as that was confusion due to map scale, token identification and length of encounter.  But it is all good, we got through it and had fun!

What are you talking about? The map was to scale, depicting the ranch and notable NPCs. Everything was there except for the roads, which led off the map obviously. Token's were confusing? I continually updated everyone's locations. Encounter length? Are combats supposed to be over in 3 rounds or something? This was a major battle with a major boss. I think you're just upset that I disarmed your fighter with a whip.

Back to the game at hand: REF is 2+10+2= 14. Ouch. I suppose my -4 to hit (since Sharn is prone) has no baring. He takes 15 damage. Does fire damage go directly to wounds?

Star Wars with grenades, sheesh. This seems more like Starship Troopers.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Robyo wrote:
    \"Chris wrote:I was actually referring to the fight at the ranch, not the AoO, as that was confusion due to map scale, token identification and length of encounter.  But it is all good, we got through it and had fun!

What are you talking about? The map was to scale, depicting the ranch and notable NPCs. Everything was there except for the roads, which led off the map obviously. Token's were confusing? I continually updated everyone's locations. Encounter length? Are combats supposed to be over in 3 rounds or something? This was a major battle with a major boss. I think you're just upset that I disarmed your fighter with a whip.

Back to the game at hand: REF is 2+10= 12. Ouch. I suppose my -4 to hit (since Sharn is prone) has no baring. He takes 15 damage. Is fire damage go directly to wounds?

Star Wars with grenades, sheesh. This seems more like Starship Troopers.

no, just vitality

I think you misunderstood me or I wasn't clear as the case seems to be recently. I got confused about where we were on the map, when I was trying to arrest or lead off Bossman, I thought we were up the road and alone, not still by the bar and all his goons. I remember Josh had some confusion about where we were or who's token was who's or something. I didn't say combat was supposed to be short, just that as we have all pointed out and noticed, the longer it goes (over several weeks of real time) the more confusing it gets to the nature of forum game-play.

I can see the logic behind allowing Prone to help your reflex save, but only from blast radius type saves. The damage is based on someone standing up and when a grenade explodes it forms a semi sphere with the ground, so being prone should logically lessen the exposure to fragments\acid\whatever.

There is a Cover chart on page 163 and not that this is cover, but the amount that cover helps the DC is about HALF of the Reflex bonus. I could go with that pattern and say Prone would grant a +2 Reflex save. Logically however, it would seem more like 9\10s less exposure.....

oh military-Matt...... would you care to chime in with your actual knowledge on the subject of grenade blasts and being prone?

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 pm

the map was confusing from time to time, Rob. we got through it, no big deal. Maps in this format have been a source of difficulty from the beginning.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:01 am

Rakhu pulls the trigger and rolls a 1. Do i still get a move or is the turn forfeit?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:17 am

navyik wrote:Rakhu pulls the trigger and rolls a 1.  Do i still get a move or is the turn forfeit?

oh, please tell me you were going to throw a thermal detonator??

Actually please do state your intended actions, even if it is a 1.

Generally speaking in SW, if you roll a 1 and you are using anything that has a power pack, the power pack goes dead and you would need to reload. Reloading a weapon is a move action.

The 1 in and of itself does not make you lose your movement action for the round. But there is where declaring your actions is important.

If you declared, for instance, you were using a full round action to take 4 shots and you rolled a 12, 13, 1.... then you would have gotten your first 2 shots off before your power pack died, so your turn would be over since you used a full round action to take multiple shots.

Or if you declared the same 4 attacks and rolled a 1..... then technically your turn is also over, since you declared a full round action. But I always let people use a move action to reload, since you really only took 1 shot, which is just the attack portion of the full round action. It is bending the rules a bit, but seemed logical to me.

If you declared that you were moving first and then shooting, you would have moved before you fired, then rolled the 1, so again the turn is over, but you would have successfully moved.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:40 am

Yeah, i was gonna shoot 3x.  He will duck and roll 1 hex down as his 2m step if allowed .  

BAMF

Vit: 35/46

Last edited by navyik on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot dmg reduction.)
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 am

navyik wrote:Yeah, i was gonna shoot 3x.  He will duck and roll 1 hex down as his 2m step if allowed .  

BAMF

Vit: 32/46

Can you clarify please?

what are you doing with your move action?

2m step IS allowed, but what is the duck and roll - just dramatic phrasing or are you moving 2m and dropping prone (free)

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:10 pm

prone. Reload if i can too...
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Fighti23

[quote="Chris"]
    Chris wrote:
    T'son 23
    Daxx 21 *9 rds BM
    Scouts - Garindan\Trando 20
    Rakhu 19 * permanent BAMF * PRONE
    Sharpshooter on rock 16
    Sharn 12 *8 rds EA * PRONE
    door guards 9
    droid guy 8 ------- dead
    droid 6 ----- blown to bits

I added the PRONE condition, just to keep track of who is doing what

The Sharpshooter is less concerned about Rakhu, since he didn't do anything this turn, than he is about T'son who has been sharing grenades liberally with his closest buddies. He will take a bead on the partially covered T'son and fire - HIT!

11 damage to T'son

Sharn, who is laying prone behind the fallen tree, is now up.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:39 pm

Images flood Sharnralkin's mind of fire, black smoke, screaming wookies, and burning flesh. He recalls the firebombing of his clan's village on Kashyyyk, many decades ago. Trandoshan raiding vessels had arrived late one night and reigned death from the sky. Sharn's family was butchered and the young orphaned wookling found himself enslaved by the raiders. In time he was sold to a gladiator stable and fought in the pits of Eldarxis. That is where he learned to brawl. Later, the wookie was taught the ways of the force by a kindly old jedi knight who died in the gladiator pits. Through it all, the night of fire on Kashyyyk would stay with him.

Standing up is a move action? Sharn stands up.

He uses Move Object on the Trandoshan.
    Move Object check:
    8+12= 20  ...up to 500kg

His intent is to send the Trando over the cliff that he is standing near. Sharn will move him out over the cliff the max distance (16 meters), then drop him. Not sure if it's considered an attack, since he's not technically being hurled, just dropped. If it is an attack, that is a full-round action and Sharn will spend a Force point to gain the extra action. Otherwise, (if not considered an attack), it is a move action. The guy gets a Will save. Costs 1 vitality.

Sharn's current vit: 10/32
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Does that "11 dmg" include my armour DR? Ill note it on my sheet as -8 unless you say you already accounted for it.

Grenades vs "prone" = Its better than nothing, but I wouldnt grant any more than 1 point DC bonus bonus if the prone person is within blast range. The ground will absorb the blast that moves towards it, but anyplace without enough resistance to stop will still be hit with the explosion - hence the blast will travel just as easily at ground level as it does above.

Grenades in Star Wars - They used TONS of grenades and thrown explosives on (the excellent) "Clone Wars" cartoon series. There was an awesome trick that the Jedi used to do where the Clone Troopers would chuck grenades into the air and the Jedi would use the Force (move object) to deliever it onto/into a target; SLICK!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:59 pm

I'll be the lone voice here... prone should not effect damage from grenades in any way.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Thats pretty much what I said...Rolling Eyes
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:50 pm

ah, you hedged a bit with the -1 thing... but yeah, I guess you did. Smile
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks for the prone input Matt.  The rules do not give any bonus to Reflex saves for being prone, so we will leave it at that.

Robyo wrote:Images flood Sharnralkin's mind of fire, black smoke, screaming wookies, and burning flesh. He recalls the firebombing of his clan's village on Kashyyyk, many decades ago. Trandoshan raiding vessels had arrived late one night and reigned death from the sky. Sharn's family was butchered and the young orphaned wookling found himself enslaved by the raiders. In time he was sold to a gladiator stable and fought in the pits of Eldarxis. That is where he learned to brawl. Later, the wookie was taught the ways of the force by a kindly old jedi knight who died in the gladiator pits. Through it all, the night of fire on Kashyyyk would stay with him.

Standing up is a move action? Sharn stands up.

He uses Move Object on the Trandoshan.
    Move Object check:
    8+12= 20  ...up to 500kg

His intent is to send the Trando over the cliff that he is standing near. Sharn will move him out over the cliff the max distance (16 meters), then drop him. Not sure if it's considered an attack, since he's not technically being hurled, just dropped. If it is an attack, that is a full-round action and Sharn will spend a Force point to gain the extra action. Otherwise, (if not considered an attack), it is a move action. The guy gets a Will save. Costs 1 vitality.

Sharn's current vit: 10/32

NICE!  Great backstory for motivation, I love it.

I love Move Object, hands down the best single skill in the game = (nearly) unlimited Telekinesis at a very low vitality cost.  

But, a couple points I do need to raise, that I think you can work past:

1) vitality cost is based on weight, see the charts on pg 94 and 95.  A Trandoshan is just a medium sized being, so he falls into the 2nd category and you don't need the 500kg 3rd category.  So vitality cost is 2.

2) You need to be within 10m of your target to actually gather it up in the Force, as per the skill description

3) Yes it would be considered an attack, so a full round action

4) Yes, standing up is a move action

No matter how I count the hexes, the Trandoshan is 14m or 7 hexes away from Sharn.  I don't want to play your character for you, so you need to rethink your action just a bit.  I will tell you - there is a way to do it this round (probably more than 1).

Trandoshan Will save vs DC 10 + your force user level = 14

Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +4" :

6 + 4 = 10

Sharn will succeed.... if you figure out a way to move closer this round.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:25 am

Oooh...oooh...oooh! I know how! I know i know!bounce 
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:40 am

Move Object is line-of-sight, so Sharn needs to take a move action to stand up. Any more movements and he can't use the force anyways, even with a force point (which only grants a single action, IIRC).

Sorry for the screw-up, but I thought the Trandoshan was the image, not the mini. I seem to remember one guy had left earlier on the speeder bike, but I still see two figures there, so it's kind of confusing.

Everyone is happy to metagame their stratagem for grenade attack, but no one can give the wookie some advice.

And thanks for throwing me under the bus, Josh. Funny how in all the war movies, guys go prone when they want to avoid grenade blasts. I guess SW functions under different rules of physics.

So forget it. I'm not in the mood for guessing games. Sharn doesn't stand up from prone, but gets up only enough to be crouching behind the tree.
    Instead, apply my roll to Heal Self: 7+12=19 ...6+2= 8 vit healed.

19/32 vit.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:30 am

I didn't throw you under the bus, Rob. I made a call based on what I know of grenades and their effectiveness.... now, if Star Wars grenades were some weird variety of what the krauts used in WWII, that would be a different matter (those were pretty useless, comparatively speaking)

my objectivity is not based on who's GM and who's a player... The movies? Really? Not the best comparison
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:47 am

Robyo wrote:Move Object is line-of-sight, so Sharn needs to take a move action to stand up. Any more movements and he can't use the force anyways, even with a force point (which only grants a single action, IIRC).

Sorry for the screw-up, but I thought the Trandoshan was the image, not the mini. I seem to remember one guy had left earlier on the speeder bike, but I still see two figures there, so it's kind of confusing.

So forget it. I'm not in the mood for guessing games.

Don't give up man!  It's not about a 'guessing game' it's just trying to have fun with a tricky scenario.  You had a great idea, very in-character and there IS a way to do (I can think of 2 possibilities at least).  

here is a blown up image for you to check out.  and you are right, the mini of the speeder is still there - OOPS - when I took all the mini's off the battle map (since i knew I was using image tokens) I forgot to clear the speeder, sorry.

Sharn needs to move 2 hexes closer and have LOS, correct.  The bush does not block LOS, since the Trando isn't "hiding" behind hit, just using it as soft cover.

You are using your full action for the Move Object attack.

You are correct that you need to use a Force point for another action.  Interesting that you mentioned army movies - something along those lines came to mind first.

Or as my old friend Tim would say, "Luke, use the Force, ya knob!"

Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Bigger10
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:51 am

Im just coincidentally curious as to how many squares my prone guy can crawl without standing up?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:42 am

navyik wrote:Im just coincidentally curious as to how many squares my prone guy can crawl without standing up?

that would be half movement speed or 2.5 hexes, so I would give you 3 hexes per turn, since you could do a 1/2 m free "step" as well.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Chris wrote:
    navyik wrote:Im just coincidentally curious as to how many squares my prone guy can crawl without standing up?

that would be half movement speed or 2.5 hexes, so I would give you 3 hexes per turn, since you could do a 1/2 m free "step" as well.

Well shit, if Sharn can just crawl 3 hexes (and not need to spend a move action to stand up), then he does that. Crawl past Daxx, out from behind the tree. Then spend a force point to use Move Object on the Trandoshan.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:18 pm

whit10 wrote:I didn't throw you under the bus, Rob.  I made a call based on what I know of grenades and their effectiveness.... now, if Star Wars grenades were some weird variety of what the krauts used in WWII, that would be a different matter (those were pretty useless, comparatively speaking)

my objectivity is not based on who's GM and who's a player...  The movies?  Really?  Not the best comparison

Not that I really care to argue about the logical comparisons of combat movies vs grenades in a role-playing movie vs WWII German explosives. Seems pointless and boring, especially since you claim to be the overall authority of pretty-much-everything. tongue 

I thought we were playing Star Wars, which are, guess what - movies! And in those movies I only recall ever seeing explosives used in Episode 6. Once as a threat by Leia against Jabba, and later on as weapons of sabotage on the Endor shield-generator. Even though Han and the rebels had a shit-ton of high-explosives, they didn't actually toss them at anybody.

I haven't seen Clone Wars. I believe only the movies are considered canon. All the other spinoffs are just for fun.

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:23 pm

I gotta run Jamie's grandma to the ER, post later
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Good luck. Hope it ain't too bad.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:55 pm

I never claimed to be an authority on anything, wanker. Just my understanding of ballistics and physics, if I'm wrong, then someone is more than welcome to point it out.

... and yeah, I get that these are based on movies. Funny, that doesn't seem to matter when it comes to making up rules for the game.

Maybe this will help, I'm not as hip to rule changes as I used to be. This is mostly due to playing PF (and in some ways Radiance).. I'm more inclined to go with the rules as written unless there's a compelling reason to change them: in which case, go for it. Just haven't heard that argument yet in this instance. And hey, I'M NOT THE GM, so it doesn't really matter what I think does it? Smile

Hope things work out with Jamie's grandma, Chris.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:18 pm

...and for what it's worth Rob, since my opinions just seem to piss people off, I'll be refraining from doing so in the future. Just gonna be 'by the book' from now on.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:25 pm

No worries, I'm just messing around. Please don't refrain from anything, except rolling 1's.

Hacking rules is fine. I can play it straight, no problem. I do like the pliability of table-top RPGs, in that the rules can be tailored to the individual table and the DM's preferences.

I'm having a good time in the adventure, for sure! It just kind of feels like D&D reskinned for SW... I guess, in my mind, "the feel" of Star Wars leans heavily more towards the "cinematic" than what d20 tends to deliver.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:23 pm

well, it IS D&D retooled for SW... SW came out just few years after 3rd edition, I think.

I would actually like to see a revised version with some of the stuff from PF incorporated (combat maneuvers and some of the feats they came up with).. I also wouldn't mind seeing the jedi re-tooled a bit, but that's me being biased. The whole having to have decent scores in all abilities is a stone cold bitch... but I digress.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Robyo wrote:
    whit10 wrote:I didn't throw you under the bus, Rob.  I made a call based on what I know of grenades and their effectiveness.... now, if Star Wars grenades were some weird variety of what the krauts used in WWII, that would be a different matter (those were pretty useless, comparatively speaking)

my objectivity is not based on who's GM and who's a player...  The movies?  Really?  Not the best comparison

Not that I really care to argue about the logical comparisons of combat movies vs grenades in a role-playing movie vs WWII German explosives. Seems pointless and boring, especially since you claim to be the overall authority of pretty-much-everything. tongue 

I thought we were playing Star Wars, which are, guess what - movies! And in those movies I only recall ever seeing explosives used in Episode 6. Once as a threat by Leia against Jabba, and later on as weapons of sabotage on the Endor shield-generator. Even though Han and the rebels had a shit-ton of high-explosives, they didn't actually toss them at anybody.

I haven't seen Clone Wars. I believe only the movies are considered canon. All the other spinoffs are just for fun.

You should REALLY check out "Cone Wars". It does a great job of illustrating Anakin's philosophical split from the Jedi, and how the Emperor exploited it. And it also does an awesome job of fleshing out the jedi order, the sith, and the setting in general. I'll be honest - it was the deciding factor in me playing in a SW campaign, as I never felt the setting was open enough before I watched it. 

For my 2 cents, Ive found this campaign quite cinematic. The chaos of the opening scene was vivid for me, as has been this combat encounter - including the frictions and misundertsanings of a group of strangers, thrown together, who suddenly find themselves in mortal danger!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:46 pm

Best to the family Chris -
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:37 am

Thanks for the well wishes, guys.  Granny is home and ok, Evan and I stayed with her all day.

Robyo wrote:
    Well shit, if Sharn can just crawl 3 hexes (and not need to spend a move action to stand up), then he does that. Crawl past Daxx, out from behind the tree. Then spend a force point to use Move Object on the Trandoshan.

Sharn crawls forward around the corner of the fallen tree and can see the toothy Trandoshan behind the bush.  The hunter's yellow slitted eyes bring the memories of the raid on his village flooding back into his mind.  

Robyo wrote:Images flood Sharnralkin's mind of fire, black smoke, screaming wookies, and burning flesh. He recalls the firebombing of his clan's village on Kashyyyk, many decades ago. Trandoshan raiding vessels had arrived late one night and reigned death from the sky. Sharn's family was butchered and the young orphaned wookling found himself enslaved by the raiders. In time he was sold to a gladiator stable and fought in the pits of Eldarxis. That is where he learned to brawl. Later, the wookie was taught the ways of the force by a kindly old jedi knight who died in the gladiator pits. Through it all, the night of fire on Kashyyyk would stay with him.

The mountain side darkens and the nearby trees become the giant trees of Kashyyk.  Sharn can see the haunting yellow eyes of the hunters all around him.  Fear wells up inside him.  

The idea to throw the Trandoshan off the cliff and down into the nearby vale, springs into his mind.  A hot rush of energy flows quickly through Sharn's limbs and extends out to the reptilian hunter.  Sharn feels his cold scaly body as he wraps the Force around it, like an extension of his own furry hand.  Sharn commands his Force extended limb to lift the Trandoshan into the air.  The Force obeys and the reptilian slowly rises up several meters in the air.

Sharn can feel the Trandoshan squirm, his breath quickens, his heart pounds in his chest.  Sharn can sense his fear.... and it gives his Force extension limb more strength.  The Trandoshan rises as Sharn moves him towards the vale dropoff.  

A quiet voice breaks into Sharn's mind, he hears his long dead mentor's admonition, "Beware the dark side.  Fear and anger join quickly as allies, but like an unwelcome guest, slow are they to leave your temple....."  

Sharn  pushes the words from his thoughts.  The Force pulses like an angry drum, sending vibrations through his extended hand grasping the dangling reptilian.  The circle is now complete, Sharn is the hunter and the Trandoshan is the helpless prey!  Sharn drops the Trandoshan and hears his final plea to his God, the Scorekeeper, "Zhaitan........" as he plummets into the rocky vale.

The light returns and Kashyyk fades back into the mountainside of Ord Mantell.

Sharn feels the anger and hatred begin to subside, though he feels reinvigorated by the experience.

Sharn regains the 2 vitality he spent and his Force Attunement moves -6 steps towards the Dark Side.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:45 am

The Nikto door guard watches his Trandoshan companion's demise, but doesn't have a clear shot at the Wookie. He redirects his anger towards the most visible target, T'son. He fires! but misses badly.

The other door guard ran inside the bunker last turn, he remains unseen.

Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Fighti24

Chris wrote:
    T'son 23
    Daxx 21 *8 rds BM, 9 rds of EA
    Scouts - Garindan 20
    Sharpshooter on rock 16
    Sharn 12 *7 rds EA * PRONE
    door guards 9
    droid guy 8 ------- dead

T'son is up
    Daxx is on deck
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:08 am

MAS wrote:Best to the family Chris -

Ditto, chris.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:12 am

Ha! THAT was great cinema! bounce 

Though Sharn didn't expect to turn to the dark side so quickly. Guess the Trandos just bring that out of him.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:19 am

whit10 wrote:well, it IS D&D retooled for SW... SW came out just few years after 3rd edition, I think.

I would actually like to see a revised version with some of the stuff from PF incorporated (combat maneuvers and some of the feats they came up with).. I also wouldn't mind seeing the jedi re-tooled a bit, but that's me being biased.  The whole having to have decent scores in all abilities is a stone cold bitch... but I digress.

I kind of like the SW hacked with some Pathfinder stuff we're already using. Maybe Chris would allow us to use some of the feats from PF?

Fantasy Flight Games has the rights to SW now. They've just released the core book of their system Edge of the Empire (the Beta has been out for awhile). I don't see Wizards or Paizo getting a crack at updating the d20 version. WotC made one more version after Revised called Saga. I've heard it's pretty good. The books are crazy expensive on E-bay.

Probably the best we could hope for, is that some 3rd party releases a Star Wars knockoff using the OGL. But then, they'd have to rename everything, or be sued by Lucas/Disney.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:01 am

Robyo wrote:
    I kind of like the SW hacked with some Pathfinder stuff we're already using. Maybe Chris would allow us to use some of the feats from PF?

Sure!  Alan already put in a request for a new feat to handle surprise multi-fire.  I really like PF stuff, so just put requests in the House Rules section.  I think a lot of Radiance could work too, since it uses Vitality to power most abilities.

Robyo wrote:Ha! THAT was great cinema! bounce
    Though Sharn didn't expect to turn to the dark side so quickly. Guess the Trandos just bring that out of him.

THANKS!   it was great to have your background info to work with to flesh out the scene.   And I know you were just talking, but don't forget that 1 dark moment doesn't mean Sharn has 'turned'.  That is why I liked the sliding Atunement over a pure Dark Side Point counter.  If Sharn seeks some redemption, he needs to find some goody things to do.

I guess the Dark Side brings out the cinematics in the GM Twisted Evil 
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:29 am

You dont know the powah of the dark side!
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:55 am

Is there a scale or chart that shows how far we can go either light or dark?
    (I'm reminded of the chart in the old AD&D Dragonlance Adventures book that tracked your characters descent from Good/Neutral/Evil).

Matt, I will definitely check out Clone Wars. Probably available on Netflix?
    And I agree that the opening scene of this adventure was very dramatic. It was chaotic and difficult to ascertain what was going on. I thought Sharn would be going to study the tuskbeat, but the DM had other plans. Basketball 

I'm gonna be quiet now. Been home sick the past few days, and probably taking too much cold medication. Sorry to clog the combat thread with discussion. Oh well.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Pretty sure Clone Wars isn't on Netflix (I've never seen it listed anyway) but is very much worth taking a look at. The later seasons are better than the first one or two, IMO. Good stuff though...

We could bring in other PF feats for this? sweeeeet...
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:01 pm

whit10 wrote:Pretty sure Clone Wars isn't on Netflix (I've never seen it listed anyway) but is very much worth taking a look at.  The later seasons are better than the first one or two, IMO. Good stuff though...

We could bring in other PF feats for this?  sweeeeet...

Studying pf now to look for the best crunch... can i multiclass with monk? ( just fuckin with you.)
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:03 pm

"ASSAULTING!" belows T'son as he once again breaks into a crouching run (ending in the hex above I&J as close to theat next cover as possible with 5 hexs) = move action

Holding the launcher/rifle in his left hand as he moves, his right hand tranistions smoothly to draw a stun grenade from his belt = drawing a weapon is a free action as per T'son's feat "quick draw".

As his move ends, he tosses the stun grenade (4 meter blast radius) at the hex just to the front of the speeder = Attack action
    Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Stun210

Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +4"

8 + 4 = 12
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:49 am

Fighting for FLAK - combat only - Page 2 Fighti26

T'son continues his assault uphill and lands a stun grenade in the hex in front of the speeder, as intended.  DC12 save for blast radius, the Garnindan scout makes his save, but is still stunned for 1 turn.  He fails his pilot check and loses control of the speeder, which careens off in his direction of travel and explodes as it crashes (since it was already damaged).  The Garindan is laying prone on the ground next to the stun blast.

Rolling Eyes stun grenades..... I forgot how dumb the rule is for them.  expect a house rule update after combat.  

or imagine what 5x 1st level ewoks would do to the party.... even if you all MADE your saves, you would be stunned for 1 rd, coup de grace and you are dead.  

a 1st level thug with a stun grenade can kill the Emporer\Yoda\Vader if he wins initiative

no worries about this fight, my bad for forgetting about them cheers

Chris wrote:
    T'son 23
    Daxx 21 *8 rds BM, 9 rds of EA
    Scouts - Garindan - STUN, PRONE 1 rd
    Sharpshooter on rock 16
    Sharn 12 *7 rds EA * PRONE
    door guards 9
    droid guy 8 ------- dead

Daxx is up

give me a perception check with your action, please
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:50 am

sorry for slow pace, my parents are visiting since Sat, so limited time to post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:22 pm