BrettB
MAS
7 posters

Out-of-game Discussion

jasongiglio
    jasongiglio

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue7/9Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (7/9)
    Action Points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Out-of-game Discussion

Post  jasongiglio Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:49 pm

I’m in!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:10 pm

held up in Rockford an extra two days, will get things rolling this weekend after I get back on friday. cheers
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:45 am

It's been the weekend and then some. @Matt, hope you are doing okay!

@Chris, are you still willing to run something low level for the new guys? I only ask, because you did mention it. I feel terrible to leave Brett and G hanging.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:41 am

Robyo wrote:It's been the weekend and then some. @Matt, hope you are doing okay!

@Chris, are you still willing to run something low level for the new guys? I only ask, because you did mention it. I feel terrible to leave Brett and G hanging.

This is Matt's project, so I would prefer that request came from him. I don't want to step on his toes anymore than I already have Wink

But, yes, of course I would run something temporarily to get Brett and G going on the forum, if Matt asks. We own several WoC modules for starting characters, which are easy to run and have a good balance of encounters (social, exploration, combat).
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:36 am

Sounds good. I would like to hear Matt's perspective. I know we discussed there being two games. One doing the narrative style, and another that is more traditional, for the newbies.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:24 am

Robyo wrote:Sounds good. I would like to hear Matt's perspective. I know we discussed there being two games. One doing the narrative style, and another that is more traditional, for the newbies.

I texted with Matt last night, but I would also like him to post here since this is his baby.

I think the plan is that I will run an initial story for Brett and G (and anyone who wants to play) using standard 5e rules, specifically the standard turn-based combat we all know and love. This is to introduce them to forum gaming and play-by-post. It is unclear how long this will last, but basically until Matt is ready to take over. Given the pace of the forum, I am planning on maybe getting the party to level 2-4 range.

At the same time, Matt will run a play-test series of combat encounters for his narrative combat idea with me, Rob, ? as players.

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:19 am

Hey guys! Thanks for your patience, Its been a chaotic couple of weeks.

To clear up any confusion, The intent is give Jason and Brett the intro experience and then test another idea I've been brewing separately.

I'll leave further direction on the intro game to Chris - we can use this thread for it and I'll create another for the test. Im happy to play in the intro game to round out the party if needed.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:40 pm

Alright, cool. Then I will continue with running Clyde the cleric for Chris' adventure. I can generate a new guy for when Matt wants to run his experiment.

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue19/19Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:42 pm

if you need another player, let me know when they get to like 3rd level or so.

No offense but low level characters are just flimsy and boring IMHO. Don't expect anyone to agree with me....
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:39 pm

MAS wrote:Hey guys! Thanks for your patience, Its been a chaotic couple of weeks.

To clear up any confusion, The intent is give Jason and Brett the intro experience and then test another idea I've been brewing separately.

I'll leave further direction on the intro game to Chris - we can use this thread for it and I'll create another for the test.  Im happy to play in the intro game to round out the party if needed.

go ahead and generate a character Matt, you should play in this too for sure

that makes a solid 4 with G, B, R and M
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:03 pm

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:42 pm

Can someone ping Brett irl?

I posted on his character page, so he should have received an email, but he hasn't checked in for 2 days.

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:46 pm

I texted Brett today about it and he responded that he's out. Not sure the reasons why.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:12 pm

do you guys want to roll with 3 or should we try to recruit Josh or Alan?

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Didn't Josh want in? Come on, Josh! You're not scared of the extra-lethality of 5e at levels 1-2, are you? LOL
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:29 pm

Alan is welcome too!

Anyone really... but I guess we don't want this adventure as big as Pirates game. IDK, what does DM think?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:49 pm

Agreed 4-5 is better for keeping pace and for Jason to get a taste
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:18 pm

Hey guys, on Monday, June 22nd, our daughter Charlotte Josephine Young was delivered. She came early, but is doing well. Julie is still in the hospital with symptoms of pre-eclampsia. I've been really busy lately, but I'll try to stay tuned into the forum games as much as I am able.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:32 pm

congrats again!
    jasongiglio
    jasongiglio

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue7/9Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (7/9)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  jasongiglio Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:57 pm

Congrats again as well!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:24 am

General FYI, I'll be offline today, the third 509er we had living here has decided to go back to Denver so Im gonna drop him back off. Happily.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:45 am

have a safe trip
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:13 am

Back and on station.

Ewoks are cute furry viet cong murder goblins. From an old Star Wars Legends comic. A veteran Stormtrooper tells the tale of fighting Ewoks on Endor...

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:34 am

Thank you my friends who responded. We are quite happy, and blessed, (and stressed LOL)!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:48 pm

Just saw Rob’s news. Congratulations! 🥰
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:20 pm

Really interesting breakdown of tactics and principles here.

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue19/19Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/0Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:22 pm

this is what shotguns are for.... disarm that! Twisted Evil
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:10 am

If anyone is looking for a distraction (or a throwdown!):

Just picked up the original Close Combat 2-5 Games on GOG.com for $10.76.

Supposed to come with a copy of the original, but it doesn't run on contemporary operating systems. All four fired up and ran fine on my Windows 10 system.
    #2 "Bridge Too Far" - Playing as the allies in Market Garden offers some of the most challenging tactical play of the whole series.
    #3 "Russian Front" - The king. I've still got a huge library of maps and mods to share. Supersoliders Ivan and Sgt Steiner unlock after you finish a campaign!
    #4 "Battle of the Bulge" - Adds offscreen air/arty support and strategic level map
    #5 "Invasion Normandy" - Refined version of the #4 interface.

They also have "Close Combat: Modern Tactics" which is the civilianized version of the USMC's contracted training version from the early 2000s. Its weakness is lack of campaign play, but it adds modern weapon systems. At this tech level, armor is basically LOS kill on small maps, but the anti tank capability of the infantry squads makes it very easy to lose armor. This one is better for scenario and head to head play vs solo.

They also have the newer titles (Panthers in the Fog, Gateway to Caen) and the re-release versions (Longest Day, Wacht Em Rein, Cross of Iron, Last Stand Arnhem) which are all built on a highly polished version of #5. Their OK but the original engines work best for the game, IMO.

Regretfully, the newest version which attempted to make the concept work with 3d graphics seems to have flopped.

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:44 am

sorry for the delay
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:53 pm

Sorry Matt I'm just not too into video games.

I found a cheap 4x game we could try online that is called Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms. It's fantasy based and each player plays their own faction. We could probably play it online by taking pictures of our progress. I initially bought it to play solo, but the game can play up to 5 players. Each player would have to buy their own copy though. Only $12 for basically a deck of cards and a bunch of cubes.

https://www.gamelyngames.com/tiny-epic/ultra-tiny-epic-kingdoms
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68Out-of-game Discussion - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:11 am

A 2.5’ tall kobold should not provide half cover for someone who is 6’ tall and 10’ behind when someone throws a javelin from 40’ away. 🤨
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:22 am

navyik wrote:A 2.5’ tall kobold should not provide half cover for someone who is 6’ tall and 10’ behind when someone throws a javelin from 40’ away.  🤨

I hear ya, but rules is rules

and just to argue.... Gorlug is inside a building, trying to throw through a doorway and over a kobold. He can't arc his throw to go over the kobold because of the door frame. If he was firing a crossbow, I might be more inclined to agree.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:28 am

He would throw through the kobold, knowing it will duck. 🤣
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:57 am

navyik wrote:He would throw through the kobold, knowing it will duck. 🤣

touche!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 am

Hey guys,

I am sorry for the slow pace of late. I have been getting killed at work with no end in sight. I picked up a new homicide case a while back and that always just sucks time.

@Matt - I am going to be passing the GM duties back to you as soon as this first chapter wraps up. I know you had some higher level ideas in mind. Jason seems to have picked up on forum style play very quickly, so I have no concerns about him adapting to whatever you have in mind. I may not join as a PC, given my time limitations at the moment, sorry.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:03 pm

actually, I have to echo Chris on this one. I think I"m going to have to drop out of this one for now. Getting my house ready to sell is taking a ton of my time, on top of work
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:48 pm

Gorlug will follow the farmer wherever the gods take him.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:48 pm

What's the status on this game? Is Chris too busy with work to run it? That's fine if he is, but does someone else want to take over running it?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:57 am

Robyo wrote:What's the status on this game? Is Chris too busy with work to run it? That's fine if he is, but does someone else want to take over running it?

yeah, sorry, I got killed last week and needed the weekend to recover.

We are on the final fight, so I will try to finish it off and then hand over the reigns

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:59 pm