Whitey
MAS
8 posters

OoG during Pirates

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue35/35OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0/0OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty Re: OoG during Pirates

Post  Chris Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:18 pm

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue60/112OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0/0OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:20 am

Wow! I really like the visual style, and the ability to random gen a whole room type on the fly is sweet, you could random gen a whole location on the fly with encounter tables.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue35/35OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:14 am

MAS wrote:Wow! I really like the visual style, and the ability to random gen a whole room type on the fly is sweet, you could random gen a whole location on the fly with encounter tables.

and thinking ahead, if you combine\accelerate that idea....

phase 2 - interactive combat models, like ARMA3

phase 3 - take the full 3d rendered models and go 1st person POV using Occulus goggles

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue60/112OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 am

Oh yes indeed. The end result is essentially a "Ready Player 1" style capability by the time VR catches it.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:32 am

this about sums it up perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaehwOTTmOQ

give this guy an oscar
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue19/19OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue1/0OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:34 pm

I'm taking this year off regarding the Bears. I'll pay attention to the aftermath of their games, but this season will probably be unwatchable.

There are so many better teams in the NFL and they have a far better history of knowing what the fuck they're doing... unlike the Bears.

Marquee franchise, one of the oldest in the league.... and they look like the fucking Jaguars when they make moves and trades, FA, etc. etc. Even the Browns are looking far superior.... THE BROWNS!!! Let that sink in...
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:31 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did we institute a 48 hour time limit, or did I just imagine that?
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue30/30OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:27 am

Robyo wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but did we institute a 48 hour time limit, or did I just imagine that?

We did, and I failed a t that bit last week. Working on being more frequent.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue30/30OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/30)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Thu May 06, 2021 10:20 am

Hey friends, my chapters of the pirate adventure are coming to a close. Assuming y'all survive it Twisted Evil, is someone interested in taking over as DM and continuing or should I look at wrapping up the campaign?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue19/19OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue1/0OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu May 06, 2021 10:50 am

there have been a number of side conversations about this lately.... I'm not going to run this next. I'm just a bit burned out on fantasy right now and really don't want to run this. Time is also a factor, at least for now.

Chris and I have discussed something SW related... but that wasn't a popular choice in the recent past. I would assume that's still the case? Please correct me if I'm wrong
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu May 06, 2021 11:30 am

I think this might be a longer conversation.

I would suggest, for now at least, just wrapping up your chapter, but leaving the option of continuing the pirate campaign open. That way, it is still an option, if we choose to continue and we don't have to decide that today.

Having said that though.... it might be nice to actually get an "ending" to something for a change.

I would definitely like to keep the forum gaming going, in some form or another. I am fine with more fantasy and also fine with something else. If memory serves, the past 3 GMs were Mike, Joe, me. Josh doesn't want to run anything. Matt is running his GIJOE story with Alan and I, with Rob joining. Rob has a baby.

Alan, it would seem, has the option to be the next GM, if he wants it.

If he doesn't, then it seems like it could be my turn again. I am willing to run something and I feel like I have the bandwidth again to GM. It has been a wonderful break, thank you Mike and Joe! I am also fine if Joe wants to GM again.

However, I would like to discuss party size and how that affects the pace.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu May 06, 2021 11:40 am

I would be fine with running something later this year, just not right now as I'm really busy during the day (as I'm sure all of you are) and I'm trying to get a different job... this one just doesn't pay enough.

Hopefully this will change in the coming months.

I would be ok with running something then.... I just really didn't like my idea for Pirates after I reflected on it.

Might be up for running something else though... depending on what the group decides. I haven't run anything since World of Darkness, and that's not going to be resurrected.... unless the clamor for it is off the charts. lol
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu May 06, 2021 11:55 am

just a few thoughts, in no particular order, if I were to run something:

a hardcore pre-written module like Tomb of Annihilation, Temple of Elemental Evil, etc

an evil campaign - more like a Legion of Doom, not that the party has to live in a darth vader helmet in the swamp, but that there is a reason they are working together.  probably start lower level to encourage stealth and power gathering.  it would NOT be a running around slaughtering villagers.  it would NOT be like vampire or PvP.  

We ran the Rise of Tiamat books with our local group here.  Then we created a world based on the idea that Tiamat won.  Evil dragons are prevalent.  Evil doesn't always get along with Evil.  Lots of dragon hunting, hiding from dragons and their minions, etc.  

Ebberron is also a really cool setting for a campaign.  It has almost a steam-punk and wacky tech vibe.  Electro-rail trains, etc.  Warforged race.  Powerful Houses with unique abilities (kinda replaces racial abilities).  It gets away from medieval fantasy feeling.

I am not attached to any of these, just throwing stuff at the wall for feedback
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu May 06, 2021 3:20 pm

@ Chris: How about giving a single Dnd 5e encounter a go, with the "simultaneous party declarations" we've been testing, to introduce the idea to the rest of the group, and see it with Dnd? 

I'd love to see your take on running an encounter that way, and it'd buy some time to wrap pirates (open ended) and have a longer discussion about how things go forward. 

If folks haven't checked out what Alan, Chris, and I have been doing in the test lab, I invite you to check it out. We had solid success with having all PCs make declarations at the same time, which may be a great way to address some of the pacing problems with a larger group on the forum. 

Plus, there are the videos we've been developing! Their feedback has been invaluable to the project and id love to have everyone else's, too. 

I'd be more interested in a module, not too interested in an evil campaign but like the premise you offered, so could be convinced. 

Eberron is cool stuff!!! id vote for that, of any Dnd settings. 

I haven't taken a swing at Pirates yet, and would be willing to take next GM, caveat: with the use of "simultaneous declarations" structure listed above. 

I'd also run some sort of modern / modern + game with Ultramodern 5. JOE or elsewise. Lots to do with that system!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu May 06, 2021 3:37 pm

I would not use simultaneous declarations, if I were to run something. I have expressed my issues with it. I am fine playing with it, if someone else likes to run things that way, but it is not my preferred method. I would use a map with grid squares or hexes.

In my opinion, pacing is a reflection of party size and frequency of posting.

The ARMA videos are very cool, but probably don't work well for DnD.

Again, I am generally happy to play by whatever rules someone else wants when they are running the show. But, if I run the show, I am going to use the methods I like. I don't want or have time for things that take more work as a GM, like posting massive grids with ranges and LoS listed or making movies after each round.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu May 06, 2021 4:20 pm

Chris wrote:I would not use simultaneous declarations, if I were to run something.  I have expressed my issues with it.  I am fine playing with it, if someone else likes to run things that way, but it is not my preferred method.  I would use a map with grid squares or hexes.  

In my opinion, pacing is a reflection of party size and frequency of posting.  

The ARMA videos are very cool, but probably don't work well for DnD.  

Again, I am generally happy to play by whatever rules someone else wants when they are running the show.  But, if I run the show, I am going to use the methods I like.  I don't want or have time for things that take more work as a GM, like posting massive grids with ranges and LoS listed or making movies after each round.  

What I suggested was that you give a go at taking all the decorations at once, for an encounter, to see both how it goes at a scale and how you put your spin on it. I was under the recollection you said you were enjoying the more narrative turnstyle, I guess I was mistaken. No problem if that doesn't interest you but no need to insert a bunch of other issues into it that wernt included. didn't say a lick about a map or grids, or suggest using the map concepts we've been testing elsewhere. At no point did I request you do videos at all, or suggest I do videos for DnD. 

I said "maybe we could do another test encounter, Id like to see how you would do it" and "Hey guys - we've been trying some different stuff with rules you might find interesting, and hey if you haven't seen it lemme share something we made together I thought is cool."
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu May 06, 2021 6:15 pm

MAS wrote:
    What I suggested was that you give a go at taking all the decorations at once, for an encounter, to see both how it goes at a scale and how you put your spin on it. I was under the recollection you said you were enjoying the more narrative turnstyle, I guess I was mistaken. No problem if that doesn't interest you but no need to insert a bunch of other issues into it that wernt included. didn't say a lick about a map or grids, or suggest using the map concepts we've been testing elsewhere. At no point did I request you do videos at all, or suggest I do videos for DnD. 

I said "maybe we could do another test encounter, Id like to see how you would do it" and "Hey guys - we've been trying some different stuff with rules you might find interesting, and hey if you haven't seen it lemme share something we made together I thought is cool."

I have zero interest in giving it a go as GM, as I would not use it.  Again, if you like using it, great!  I am happy enough as a player whenever someone wants to spend time running something.  

I do enjoy the narrative style - meaning watching movies of each round.  That is very cool and immersive for a modern gun game.  

That has nothing to do with how we tactically do each round, which I have said is (a) hard to tell placement and distance on maps without grids, (b) makes a lot of "if this, than that" type of posts and (c) removes the general element of strategy from sequenced turns.  I have also said that I don't think variable initiative will work AT ALL in  D&D given spell durations that have the potential to now be 0 rounds, 1 round or 2 rounds.  Modern or gun-based games, sure, it might work fine.  

You invited folks to come look at the thread - which has no grids, movies and simultaneous declarations with variable initiative.  I commented on everything that they would see as new or different.  

I don't have to be the GM.  I was just being clear about what I am and am not willing to do, if I do run the game.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue68/68OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu May 06, 2021 8:06 pm

I have some ideas to continue this campaign as GM. I need to figure out PowerPoint stuff for it. Could use some resources if y’all have a grab bag of stuff I could pull from. I will start tinkering with it.  No promises for a fast pace.

I am contemplating simultaneous resolutions only. Matt does it well in a small group. It may be the cure to the long wait between turns.  I’m anticipating some confusion in a crowded melee but we won’t know until we try it. Be prepared to bear with me for a while and also to abandon it if I don’t think I can make it work.  

Here’s my take on it: (edited)
    Round 1
    Everyone rolls initiative at the start of the combat. DM posts the order as usual.

Everyone declares in order of initiative.  If your initiative is before the DM you don’t have to wait. Just go.

On DM’s turns, I will post a partial resolution for everything up to that point and an initiative order reminder. I won’t use more than two turns for various groups of baddies.

DM will call for any saves needed for pc’s in resolution posts. Saves can be provided with subsequent posts for any pc that has already acted. Do this any time prior to the next update. Pc’s that still have a turn can include saves with their next declarations.

The rest of the players that haven’t acted will declare in order of initiative.

DM will post an end of round resolution, again calling for saves if required. DM will repost the initiative.

This should both limit the waiting between players actions and the number of posts required of the DM.  

I’m open to tweaks and constructive counterpoints but not complaints about trying something new.  king

Last edited by navyik on Thu May 06, 2021 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu May 06, 2021 9:01 pm

I'm willing to try Alan's resolutions system. Also intrigued by the innovations in Matt's game.

Would love to run something, but just too busy these days. Think it would be fun to continue the Weird West game sometime.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue68/68OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu May 06, 2021 9:08 pm

Robyo wrote:I'm willing to try Alan's resolutions system. Also intrigued by the innovations in Matt's game.

Would love to run something, but just too busy these days. Think it would be fun to continue the Weird West game sometime.

Olistaff is ready to go!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu May 06, 2021 9:17 pm

I have edited the post about simultaneous resolutions above.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri May 07, 2021 12:13 am

navyik wrote:
    I’m open to tweaks and constructive counterpoints but not complaints about trying something new.  king

lol!

I could see something like small groups working out. I like the idea!

as for resources.... all your really need is GOOGLE.

there are literally millions of pre-made maps with hexes\squares out there, billions of images, etc. then its just a matter of getting familiar enough with power point to crop\cut\resize\effects\text boxes etc etc etc

if Mike has a template of the rows and columns, you might use that as an overlay to a map, resizing as needed. my rows and columns look as wobbly as my handwriting, his look like a professional engineer made them afro
    Josef909
    Josef909

Character Information
    Hit points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue86/98OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (86/98)
    Action Points:
    OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue11/11OoG during Pirates - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (11/11)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Josef909 Fri May 07, 2021 9:34 am

I don't have the time or energy for another go as DM.  The whole concept of rotating duties, to me, was to give the "always DMs" a chance to enjoy as a player.  I  simply wanted to pay my tax.

Having said that, I think the concept is still strong, in that everyone gets to put their fingerprints on our heros story.  Pacing is def more challenging, as is the need for all of us to dip in and out as real life dictates.  I like this group of characters and really wish we had thought of doing this back in the day when we were gathered to play weekly in RKFD.

I'll just go with the flow.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri May 07, 2021 10:12 am

I'm going to say this one last time.... it is NOT the rules that slow things down here.

I'm probably out. It sounds like the tilt is towards more fantasy. Enjoy!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri May 07, 2021 10:24 am

whit10 wrote:I'm going to say this one last time.... it is NOT the rules that slow things down here.

I'm probably out.  It sounds like the tilt is towards more fantasy. Enjoy!

I think it’s clear that LIFE is what slows things down. We proved that by putting a huge dent in Tomb of Annihilation this time last year. Everyone was home with much less to do.

That said, rules to account for lapses in forum connectivity can counter some of the problems with pace.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri May 07, 2021 10:30 am

that is true, but I don't understand this desire to monkey with the rules like this. Just my 2 cents
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri May 07, 2021 10:44 am

@Josh - you could always join GIJOE, if you want a break from fantasy

just some thoughts about GM'ing....

we all know how much time and effort it takes to run a game on the forum.  each of the last 3 GMs have essentially spanned about 3 years, if not more, of real time.  

There has to be something more enjoyable for the GM than just "paying the GM tax".    Matt is doing this whole ARMA thing with making movies of the encounters.  If that makes being a GM more sustainable for him, then I fully support it.  I would love it if each GM could kinda do their own thing.  

I do think that we could make shorter chapters for ourselves when we GM something.  On paper, Mike's chapter is probably about right for gaining a level.

exploration with the chest and navigation
    dragon turtle fight
    social encounter with Grom Burya
    beach fight
    social\exploration encounter with the kobolds
    shark fight\exploration to find temple
    social encounter with gnomes
    boss fight

That's a textbook example of adventure design.   cheers

I don't think anyone would mind shorter chapters, even if it meant leveling up on less-than-perfect (too fast) xp schedule.  Given pacing issues, even half of that would probably be fine and only commit someone to GM duties for about 6 months or so.  

I do like having everyone together for 1 big group, just for the sake of playing with everyone.  I am also cool if people want to make extra games with smaller groups, like Matt did with Alan and I, now Rob.  If Josh wants to run something non-fantasy, he can probably find a small party of players without distracting from the main group game.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri May 07, 2021 10:48 am

I'm not interested in the modern thing Chris. Just not my gig
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Fri May 07, 2021 2:06 pm

I’d mostly like to stick with DND as it’s the system I’m most familiar with. Not opposed to mods to gameplay if they actually work as intended and don’t erode the fun factor.

I quite like the different flavors we’ve gotten in Pirates and would love to continue. I will say that Joe and I have both discussed how tough it is to challenge the party given how powerful (and now wealthy) it has become.

All that being said, I’d consider playing in another world/system if it was approachable with a level of readily available source content similar to DND. (Star Wars!?) The Googles have been essential to my survival in forum gaming.

Anyway, just my two cents. I’ve enjoyed playing and now DMing, it’s been good hanging out with y’all virtually and I’d like that to continue. So, basically, count me in for whatever as long as it isn’t too homebrewed or wacky.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri May 07, 2021 2:10 pm

I don’t think that the xp schedule needs to apply at all. One chapter for one level.

My plan doesn’t really mess with rules. It just recognizes that we spend more time waiting for DM responses to innocuous actions than we do on playing our characters.

We need a turn based app that lets us move our own characters and push a button in the app to access rules, roll dice, and explain our actions. It should track all sequencial stat block data from our selections with the DM having prerogative to retcon or correct them. Just a smartphone app.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri May 07, 2021 7:49 pm

Chris wrote:
    MAS wrote:

I have zero interest in giving it a go as GM, as I would not use it.  Again, if you like using it, great!  I am happy enough as a player whenever someone wants to spend time running something.  

I do enjoy the narrative style - meaning watching movies of each round.  That is very cool and immersive for a modern gun game.  

That has nothing to do with how we tactically do each round, which I have said is (a) hard to tell placement and distance on maps without grids, (b) makes a lot of "if this, than that" type of posts and (c) removes the general element of strategy from sequenced turns.  I have also said that I don't think variable initiative will work AT ALL in  D&D given spell durations that have the potential to now be 0 rounds, 1 round or 2 rounds.  Modern or gun-based games, sure, it might work fine.  

You invited folks to come look at the thread - which has no grids, movies and simultaneous declarations with variable initiative.  I commented on everything that they would see as new or different.  

I don't have to be the GM.  I was just being clear about what I am and am not willing to do, if I do run the game.

Dig it, just ran contrary to what I understood your position was on it, and as I said, was hoping to see your take (and/or any others, excited to see Alan's version in play!!). 

You might recall that I agreed with you about variable init, stating it had potential value for adding a level complexity and timing but probably wasn't worth it. The only reason we used variable init last time was because you guys both ignored the instructions from the beginning that we were playing RAW (with simultaneous declaration and the weapon ranges being the only changes), and included new rolls every time, so I ran with it because I thought y'all wanted to. In any case, message received, carry on.

Last edited by MAS on Fri May 07, 2021 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri May 07, 2021 7:53 pm

navyik wrote:I don’t think that the xp schedule needs to apply at all. One chapter for one level.

My plan doesn’t really mess with rules. It just recognizes that we spend more time waiting for DM responses to innocuous actions than we do on playing our characters.

We need a turn based app that lets us move our own characters and push a button in the app to access rules, roll dice, and explain our actions. It should track all sequential stat block data from our selections with the DM having prerogative to retcon or correct them. Just a smartphone app.

1: Agreed!!!
    2: Exactly! Alan gets it. 
    3: We can do that with Fantasy grounds, or Roll20. Its all in process.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat May 08, 2021 12:55 pm

MAS wrote:
    navyik wrote:I don’t think that the xp schedule needs to apply at all. One chapter for one level.

We need a turn based app that lets us move our own characters and push a button in the app to access rules, roll dice, and explain our actions. It should track all sequential stat block data from our selections with the DM having prerogative to retcon or correct them. Just a smartphone app.

I’m talking about a single comprehensive app that let’s us play the whole game, make our own moves, tracks hp and modifiers, and sends push notifications when it’s your turn. You can choose which modes, (complete turn by turn resolutions, resolutions after DM turns, or simultaneous resolutions).

Click a button that says “cast a spell” and choose from a list so that it quotes the spell and offers the correct dice roller with a drag and drop area affect marker. Anyone in the area gets a push notification for their save. DM clicks a point in the initiative to block further actions until all saves are in. Maybe you can choose an auto save roll.

I have a coworker who can do this stuff in a web format. When it’s done you just move it to an app. It’s what we’re doing for a living right now but just for gear cutting speeds and feeds. So who’s got server space?

Oh, also, I have an old friend who works for Wizards of the Coast. So when it comes time to market this, we might have a contact to whom reach out. Might...
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat May 08, 2021 1:35 pm

So I found Fantasy Grounds. Going to check out the demo. Also looking for Roll20 but what I found just looked like a dice roller. I will look some more.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun May 09, 2021 3:11 pm

navyik wrote:
    MAS wrote:

I’m talking about a single comprehensive app that let’s us play the whole game, make our own moves, tracks hp and modifiers, and sends push notifications when it’s your turn. You can choose which modes, (complete turn by turn resolutions, resolutions after DM turns, or simultaneous resolutions).

Click a button that says “cast a spell” and choose from a list so that it quotes the spell and offers the correct dice roller with a drag and drop area affect marker. Anyone in the area gets a push notification for their save. DM clicks a point in the initiative to block further actions until all saves are in. Maybe you can choose an auto save roll.

I have a coworker who can do this stuff in a web format. When it’s done you just move it to an app. It’s what we’re doing for a living right now but just for gear cutting speeds and feeds. So who’s got server space?

Oh, also, I have an old friend who works for Wizards of the Coast. So when it comes time to market this, we might have a contact to whom reach out. Might...

I dig it! All Im Im saying that most of that capability exists in some form already, but like everything, may need some tweaking. If you want to develop an app from the ground up, Id be down with that!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun May 09, 2021 3:14 pm

Hey Guys, long one here –

We’ve been gaming on forum for nearly 15 years now. Conversation can heated sometimes but were all here because we want to hang together and play some games while we do it. The format challenges communication, it’s a marked difference to be interacting in person vs than online, and the games designed to be played face to face in one sitting sometimes don’t translate as well we hope to this format.
    Mike and Joe joining us (and a trickle of other dabblers) brought some much-needed new blood on board, and they both did a great job throwing down their first games. Its been a really wonky year or two for everyone, which has added extra friction to participation on all fronts. Its been good that weve been able to keep the connections and play going despite extra friction.

Its not a knock on anyone to look at where we are and see if we can make the game more enjoyable and engaging for all involved. There has been discussion about how to improve the experience, and opinions differ on how best to approach that – or even whether to approach it all. I think we have identified a lot of the factors that slow things down over the last few years, through discussion, ongoing play, and crazy ass testing of hare-brained ideas.

As things have traditionally operated, the challenge of timing becomes an increasing force of entropy as participants are added. The flow of resolution that occurs more naturally around a table just does not flow well in this format. It’s a given that we all will prioritize our personal lives and obligations over the recreational game, we are all adults leading adult lives – we have jobs, families and medical issues we are juggling. There is always room for compassion and flexibility in this, we are all in the same club here.

The GM typically absorbs a disproportionate amount of the “work” of the game, even more than normal in this format, not only in traditional RPG encounter prep, but in becoming tied to a constant flow of daily check ins, updating maps, and clarifying issues/rules. When everyone involved is engaged, and most importantly the timing works out, we can move along at slow but steady pace. To do so, players check in multiple times daily if they want to keep things moving, or maybe daily. The GM must be checking daily multiple times. It’s a crap shoot, and it works best with the fewest people – which doesn’t really serve the goal of us being able to game together. Eventually, something comes up in somebody’s life and slows that down, and then another, and then another, and then its been a week since anything happened and you don’t even remember to check, cant remember what’s actually happening, and have to read a backlog of posts to have a clue. Interest falls off, the game falls apart. We’ve done this several times now.
    It is nobody’s “fault” per say, but its happened in 99% of the fames we’ve done – to some degree or another. That’s all ok in the grand scheme of things. We all deserve the space we need to lead our lives. Ultimately, whether as a GM or player, I want my participation be engaging and enjoyable, and I’m confident you all share that goal. These are my thoughts on what Ive observed over the years, as always YMMV. 

There are some central things that slow us down. Ive been guilty of all it from time to time. Its casual and recreation but lets be honest, it requires a certain level of commitment and participating in good faith/obligating oneself to make the effort required to keep the whole game healthy. Agreeing to play or GM in a game is an agreement to put in a good faith effort to participate. That means understanding the game rules and your character’s rules.

Everybody makes mistakes or forgets something (especially me, these days!), but we lose entire days to questions that are basic core game rules or could be answered by just looking it up or googling the rule in an SRD. None of us are at a point where we should expect the GM to teach us the rules or know them for us, and it wastes everyone’s time. There is a difference between “This is kind of a grey area, what do you think” and “I obviously haven’t bothered to check the rules myself” kind of questions.

Additionally, its unreasonable to expect the GM to spend large amounts of time on running and designing the game, and then drop low effort posts in return. Posts without clear declarations and or absent of any role play don’t match the effort we expect and demand out of the GMs. Asking the GM to do a dozen posts and half dozen map updates per round and then responding to that investment with low effort isn’t fair or fun. We all know that sometimes, circumstances either demand or suffer something like that, but a solid post is the least that can be done to match the GMs participation and effort.

Time management is the other big piece. With that in mind:

I have a lot of obligations between now and the end of the month, one of which is a week off grid camping the 18th -24th. I don’t want to start anything new, so Im going to step aside from whatever larger group game forms for now, and hopefully join in down the road a bit. I may fuss but Ill play whatever is being played, cuz I like to game with you.

As far as the JOE game goes, Im going to launch that back up around the beginning of next month. Depending on how aggressive the group wants to go, we can shoot for either 2 or 3 turns a week.
    Initiative is handled as normal, but all-party declarations are submitted and processed at once. You can do your post anytime you want and not have to wait for anyone else, within a permissive timeframe.

2 turns a week:
    With the GM posting new prompt/play on a Sunday night to start things off, players will have Monday & Tuesday to post their turn, clear anything up in OOG, etc. GM will process the turn and post the update Wednesday. Players have Thursday and Friday to post their turn in response. GM updates no later than Sunday night. Cycle repeats.

3 turns a week:
    Monday, Weds, and Friday are player posting days. Tuesday, Thursday, and Sat/Sun are GM days.

I think the two round approach would be a great place to start. We can always shift some days around if that works better for everyone, but the goal is a known schedule with a permissive window to make your post.

If a player is unable to or chooses not to post by GM time, the GM will declare and resolve a basic, standard attack/action or something appropriate in your absence. The game continues. Instances of waiting for others and for issues to be resolved before play can continue…should drop fast. The GM is now doing one map update per round instead of 5+, and 5 or 6 maps per fight instead of 20+.

I really enjoy gaming and hanging out with you all! Even when shit is mechanically kind of broke, id rather be limping along with you guys than not hanging out. You all bring unique and valuable presence to our gaming and I am hopeful and excited to keep this stuff going for another 40 years if we can!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun May 09, 2021 5:11 pm

This is such a good discussion, thank you everyone for the thoughtful and long posts!  cheers

I have to admit that I haven't really been "getting it" entirely.  Matt's most recent post and some of Alan's recent comments have finally kicked the cobwebs out and turned on the light for me.  I apologize for having been a bit dense lately.  

Matt really hit the nail on the head with his last novel and identified the issue as GM-interaction focused, touching on low-effort posts which are a big source of GM fatigue, at least for me personally.  The other is the disproportionate amount of GM posts per day to keep the fight moving.  

I REALLY like the idea of a schedule!  wow, what a good idea... how have we not thought of that before?  seriously

I think a source of some friction is also the Buddhist opinion that our expectations create our individual suffering.  GM expects high quality posts and clear actions.   Players expect a GM to reply 24\7 to "keep it moving".  None of which is realistic and leads to friction, apathy and disengagement.  

Mechanically speaking, I see 2 specific areas of rules that tend to bog us down:  saving throws and Attacks of Opportunity.  Matt asked Alan and I to pre-roll 1 SV each round as part of our post.  Mostly we never used them in the GIJOE game, so it felt like busy work and wasted effort.  However, in D&D, we use SVs almost every round.  

What if....   during your first declaration phase of any given fight, you pre-roll 1 save d20 without any modifiers and 1 AoO to hit roll and damage roll.  All save modifiers would now be included in our your stat block, which obviously MUST be posted during every declaration phase.  

If during the GM resolution phase, a SV is needed or a mob moves out of a player's zone of control, the GM already has everything he needs to resolve the interactions.  (or at least most of it, as sometimes Chuuls require multiple saves for example)

If at the next declaration phase, you see that your character used a SV and\or AoO, then the player needs to pre-roll another for the GM.  Maybe the GM knows that his mobs require multiple saves and could require 3 pre-rolled SVs or something.  Or, we could just agree to use the single d20 roll and apply it multiple times or something.  

A player could also declare that they don't want to make an AoO or something, I suppose, but we only get 1 anyways.  Or we players could just trust affraid the GMs to make SV rolls for us!  BLASEPHEMY!  I know, I know, but come on, that would speed things up so much.  Alan mentioned a program to make all these rolls for us and post them, etc.  the GM could also just serve that purpose, if the rolls are out of hands anyways.

Personally, I am not a big fan of turning forum gaming into a video game.  I play enough video games and we are not going to compete with Baldur's Gate 3.  I don't want push notifications on my phone, I already get an email update when something is new.  Others might disagree, which is cool.  But I would like to see if we can't figure a way to make the experience smoother without the need to design an app.  I just want to play and GM.  

I understand Matt wants to make a business out of being a GM and maybe Alan wants to design an app.  Cool.  I just want to play and GM occasionally.
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Sun May 09, 2021 11:06 pm

I appreciate all the discussion too. I’ll be ready for a break from GM duties when the time comes. That being said, Matt you wrote all of that thoughtful discourse on what does and does not keep the game moving and then didn’t take Renda’s turn.

For me it all boils down to folks just checking in and doing their part.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon May 10, 2021 8:42 am

Geez, is there something in the water in Colo that makes people commit mass shootings? At least Cali still has them beat with x3 as many.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/811541/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-state/
    Whitey
    Whitey

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Whitey Mon May 10, 2021 8:50 am

I have a theory on this. Colorado is a wonderful place to live, full of gorgeous scenery, healthy & active people, and tons of sunshine. I think someone suffering from mental illness would feel even more ostracized and out of place when surrounded by such a positive atmosphere. Now combine that with ready access to firearms and the Ever-present legacy (often fetishization) of Columbine and you get a recipe for disaster.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon May 10, 2021 10:02 am

just to chime in on one thing... I won't be playing if there is a phone app involved. I hate my cellphone as it is... I can't type on it to save my life and the damned thing just annoys me in general.  It might be an essential piece of tech these days, but it's a PITA otherwise.

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon May 10, 2021 12:22 pm

whit10 wrote:just to chime in on one thing... I won't be playing if there is a phone app involved. I hate my cellphone as it is... I can't type on it to save my life and the damned thing just annoys me in general.  It might be an essential piece of tech these days, but it's a PITA otherwise.

Such an app would be developed from a web-based master, so it would run on a pc, Mac, or tablet with the same functionality.

Such an app would absolutely not be a video game. It would exist only to minimize busy work and to empower players to do things like move their own pieces and draw areas of effect so we can see an accurate map after each declaration. It will track initiative, hit points, temporary modifies, spell durations and anything else that makes DM duty a pain and gets us in trouble with each other when we try to post our actions over a 20 minute lunch break. It will reduce the amount of forum time spent waiting for our turns while someone argues with the DM about character placement or whether or not they should be affected by an obstacle.

Push notifications can be turned off and you can opt to get an email instead. Flexibility and choice would be a significant focus. It’s why we should try it and develop it. Please continue to tell me what you absolutely refuse to do so I can develop a suitable alternative to each idea. This is what I do all day at work every day. 😇
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon May 10, 2021 12:44 pm

it's not an "absolute" either way. I just have no interest in using another app when we already have what we need here. IMO

Just ignore my posts. I'm probably done with the forum in general; nothing personal to anyone... just kinda sick of all of it
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon May 10, 2021 2:11 pm

whit10 wrote:it's not an "absolute" either way. I just have no interest in using another app when we already have what we need here. IMO

Just ignore my posts. I'm probably done with the forum in general; nothing personal to anyone... just kinda sick of all of it

Happy Birthday Josh!
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon May 10, 2021 2:15 pm

Whitey wrote:I have a theory on this. Colorado is a wonderful place to live, full of gorgeous scenery, healthy & active people, and tons of sunshine. I think someone suffering from mental illness would feel even more ostracized and out of place when surrounded by such a positive atmosphere. Now combine that with ready access to firearms and the Ever-present legacy (often fetishization) of Columbine and you get a recipe for disaster.

It's as good a theory as any. Still weird though, that Colorado, 20th most populous state, has more mass shootings than Illinois, which is 6th.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/states

Of course Illinois is a Blue state, with harsher gun control laws, but Indiana (Red) is a well-known conduit for guns entering Illinois, and Chicago especially.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon May 10, 2021 3:54 pm

navyik wrote:

Such an app would absolutely not be a video game. It would exist only to minimize busy work and to empower players to do things like move their own pieces and draw areas of effect so we can see an accurate map after each declaration. It will track initiative, hit points, temporary modifies, spell durations and anything else that makes DM duty a pain and gets us in trouble with each other when we try to post our actions over a 20 minute lunch break. It will reduce the amount of forum time spent waiting for our turns while someone argues with the DM about character placement or whether or not they should be affected by an obstacle.

that sounds exactly like a video game, lol
    the arguments would then become, "the app is wrong" and not "the DM is wrong"
    it loses the descriptive narrative of what's happening by both player and GM.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon May 10, 2021 4:23 pm

Really feel that Alan's description of "life getting the way" is spot on. Most wonkiness with rules comes from trying to do this in a format in wasn't designed for. 

I think Alan is describing a tool set much more than a game, but this group of grouchy old coots definitely isn't the audience for it, Lol! Its worth looking at lets develop your idea further as a side project/discussion. I got your google doc link, we can work that on our own. First step is to look hard at what is available and how close it may be. 

I like a lot of what Chris threw out in regards to templated posts and pre-provided rolls, and believe that a schedule will work well for us all! We'll dial in the posting template and I think it will play very smooth. 

Expectations are definitely a source of suffering. We could do a better job of "session zero" ing games to make sure that everything is coming together for all involved. 

Certainly didn't use saves much in that U5 fight, but Id offer that typically low level DnD does not push a lot of them either. Will have to spend more time with the system to see how broad of a difference that ends of being. 

Working a Pirates post.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon May 10, 2021 4:45 pm

For Josh -

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon May 10, 2021 4:49 pm

Happy Birthday Josh!
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon May 10, 2021 4:56 pm

thanks

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content