Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

5 posters

Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch"

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue35/35Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Empty Re: Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch"

Post  Chris Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:51 pm

whit10 wrote:oh yeah. DR 5 but that's some mighty big damage they're dealin'

15 and 12? I am +19 on my greatsword, before the 2d6 Twisted Evil
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue19/19Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue1/0Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Empty Re: Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch"

Post  whit10 Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:29 pm

well, unless I'm missing something, dex doesn't add to damage. My best weapon does 2d12+2
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue35/35Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue0/0Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:19 pm

no dex, but there are lots of feats\talents\whatevers via class and theme that add progressive +1\+2, then +2\+5 etc.

I just picked up the +2\+5 from Paladin Blessed Wpn with an Intermediate tier at 4th, stacked with +1\+2 favorite wpn from theme and +1\+2 wpn focus from Fighter multi-class.

Gunslingers get +2\+5 specialization at 4th, if you chose it. you can always change themes (up to 4 times, I think) to pick up another bonus, etc etc.

But guns will always do less damage than swords, b\c they have the advantage of range. you are shooting, while I am spending turns just getting into range.

*crunch, crunch, crunch*
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue19/19Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue1/0Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

yeah, assuming I survive this encounter and get a level or two, it will improve considerably.

Although, I think I forgot to use grit this round.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:34 pm

navyik wrote:
    navyik wrote:Hearing the whinney and hollerin' from above, jp will stowe the shotgun on his hip and unshoulder his carbinñe. "We gotd gompahnee..."

nice! cyclops
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:19 pm

map update:
    [img][Only admins are allowed to see this link][/img]
    (The main road now looks weird, because it now shows the cave leading below)

*Lou's horse took off down the side trail when all the shooting started

Initiative & Placement:
    1)Tommy ( H-8 )
    2)The Pilot (inside carriage)
    3)Auren (ladder,15'up)
    4)Zap Gunner (inside carriage, shooting out the window)
    5)Lou (inside carriage)
    6)JP ( F-14 )
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Tommy shoots wild.

Perhaps the pilot is freaked out by all the shooting. While trying to steer the damaged balloon, he fumbles, and the thing turns awkwardly. Losing altitude, it is dropping rapidly, falling towards JP on the boulders.

Auren is up...

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Do the balloons passengers experience difficulty withtheir actions as well? bounce
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:27 pm

athletics to continue climb
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +12" :

14 + 12 = 26

I think you said the rope ladder was 20', of which Auren has climbed 15', so he has 5' or 10\30 movement used.

What can Auren see from the top of the rope ladder? Basically, I am not sure what my options are here for the rest of my movement and standard action.

for instance.....

is there a door on the carriage - open\closed?
    is the zap gunner shooting out a window that is close enough for Auren to attack, grab the gun, etc?
    can Auren see Lou, the pilot, anything else new and interesting?

perception check
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +7" :

11 + 7 = 18
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:55 pm

The rope ladder leads to a trap door hanging open beneath the carriage. Auren is looking up from below the deck. The zap gunner saw him coming and gets an attack of opportunity:

27 vs Ref = 17 damage

(black rectangles are windows)

Auren E-3
    Lou F-4
    Pilot B-3
    Zap Gunner D-2

Lou is currently pinned to the floor, entangled in a red sticky goo. He appears conscious and very scared.

The pilot is standing at the controls trying desperately to keep the craft afloat.

The zap gunner faces Auren. The hood falls back and the marshal sees it's alien visage...

Immediately, Auren recognizes the aberrant creature. It is an illithrix! One of the dreaded enemies of the Draconic Empire. They are intelligent aberrations with a knack for psionics, electrotech, and feasting on brains. It is rumored they exist in the Far Realm, so what would one be doing here on Aerth?

Auren continues his turn...

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:53 pm

17 damage -13 DR = 4 damage. Auren was at 18\20 at the start of the chapter, so now 14\20

Auren will finish his climb up and move 5' to D-3 while drawing his Greatsword, as a Hustle action
    13\20 vitality

move action for Rapid Attack, 2 swings

Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +11" :

11 + 11 = 22 vs Fort

damage if it hits

Result of the throw of dice "2d6 +19" :

6 + 6 + 19 = 31 +4 if evil alignment from Smite Evil feat would be 35 SMACK!

2nd swing

14 + 11 = 25

4 + 4 + 19 = 27 +4 if evil = 31

**hey Mr. GM, I looked up attack of opportunity, since D&D and Pathfinder never granted AoO for ranged attacks. I see the following on page 231, but maybe there are revised rules elsewhere?
    »» You fire a ranged weapon while adjacent to a foe.
    »» You use a magic ability while adjacent to a foe. Abilities marked
    with an M are magic abilities.
    »» You move while adjacent to a creature larger than you. The
    opportunity attack is resolved as an immediate action prior to you
    moving.

so unless this Illixid is large, I don't think he gets an AoO on me
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:43 am

Auren's first strike connects, doing damage to the aberrant. The second attack is repelled, because the cybernetic Illithrix throws up a force shield (as an immediate action).
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue68/68Pt. 2: "The Journey to Biggs Ranch" - Page 5 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:34 am

So is the carriage coming AT jp or veering towards him. Can he see any of the combatants? scratch
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Chris wrote:
    **hey Mr. GM, I looked up attack of opportunity, since D&D and Pathfinder never granted AoO for ranged attacks. I see the following on page 231, but maybe there are revised rules elsewhere?
    moving.

It is in the rules, but personally, it seems like the whole denial of ranged attacks for AoO's, is about acquiring some sort of balance between ranged and melee attacks. From a simulationist viewpoint (which I thought most rpgs were designed to be), it's hard to argue that someone couldn't shoot someone at point-blank range. BTW, the rules do allow for melee attacks to be made with ranged weapons. A smack with a butt of a rifle, or a longbow.

However, Auren wasn't actively moving away or past the illithrix. He popped his head up and looked around, making a perception skill check. Usually (but not always) a skill check is a standard action. It can be a move or swift action, with a -10,-20 "rushed" penalty, respectively. I didn't give you the penalty, but I gave him the AoO.

It's no biggie. The illithrix could have hit Auren with his rifle, but he doesn't (I'd have to recalculate anyways). So no damage yet, but his turn is coming up...

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Attacks of opportunity are usually for melee only due to proximity and movement. Pathfinder allows them with missile weapons at Point Blank range but only with a special feat. I think it's all wrapped up in distance between targets, for instance... you normally only get an AoO when a target moves through a threatened space or tries to disengage (unless the target tumbles or takes a five foot step)
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:52 pm

navyik wrote:So is the carriage coming AT jp or veering towards him. Can he see any of the combatants? scratch

navyik wrote:Do the balloons passengers experience difficulty withtheir actions as well? bounce

These are good questions and I'd considered the 2nd one, especially. But I'm keeping it simple at this point. To be honest, I've never before in an RPG had to adjudicate a crashing hot air balloon... I gave the pilot a -5 to his check because of the gun damage JP inflicted on the balloon. He botched his roll, anyways.

And I've found scant details for hot-air balloons as rpg vehicles. There's just a paragraph in the Players Guide. No stats... So I'm using a lesser version of the Zeppelin template from a couple 3.x books: Arms & Equipment Guide and the Aerial Adventure Guide, both excellent sources.

The hot-air balloon is segmented, with gas cells, so it can take a few hits and not be a horrible end... That being said, the pilot needs to make his next check to keep from crashing into the boulders that JP is on.

Can JP see anyone inside the cabin? Yes, the pilot, heading straight on...

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:56 pm

whit10 wrote:Attacks of opportunity are usually for melee only due to proximity and movement. Pathfinder allows them with missile weapons at Point Blank range but only with a special feat. I think it's all wrapped up in distance between targets, for instance... you normally only get an AoO when a target moves through a threatened space or tries to disengage (unless the target tumbles or takes a five foot step)

Yes, but what if a target is coming up a ladder through a trap door (that is already open)? We're talking 3-Dimensional levels, not to mention the ladder and the landing (carriage) is all moving precariously... I would liken that to tumbling, because the target is defenseless and distracted.

It's all good tho, just lawyer speak drunken
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:29 pm

the cyber-illithrix fires twice at Auren:

1) 14 vs Ref = 17 damage

2) 16 vs Ref = 14 damage

As a move action, he stows the zap gun. His tendrils flair.

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Lou is still entangled.

JP is up...

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Jp fires twice on the pilot:

19+7=26
    Dmg=13

12+7=19
    Dmg=24

Then he tumbles off the rocks toward the cliff he fell down earlier.

Acro check: 13+6=19
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:56 am

Robyo wrote:the cyber-illithrix fires twice at Auren:

1) 14 vs Ref = 17 damage

2) 16 vs Ref = 14 damage

Auren does get an attack of opportunity against the cyber-illithrix since he is using a ranged wpn in my melee threat zone. Twisted Evil

Greatsword attack

19 + 11 = 30

damage

5 + 2 + 19 = 26 +4 if evil alignment = 30

Auren takes 4 and 1 vitality if the illithrix survived my AoO which goes first.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 am

Robyo wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    moving.

It is in the rules, but personally, it seems like the whole denial of ranged attacks for AoO's, is about acquiring some sort of balance between ranged and melee attacks. From a simulationist viewpoint (which I thought most rpgs were designed to be), it's hard to argue that someone couldn't shoot someone at point-blank range. BTW, the rules do allow for melee attacks to be made with ranged weapons. A smack with a butt of a rifle, or a longbow.

However, Auren wasn't actively moving away or past the illithrix. He popped his head up and looked around, making a perception skill check. Usually (but not always) a skill check is a standard action. It can be a move or swift action, with a -10,-20 "rushed" penalty, respectively. I didn't give you the penalty, but I gave him the AoO.

It's no biggie. The illithrix could have hit Auren with his rifle, but he doesn't (I'd have to recalculate anyways). So no damage yet, but his turn is coming up...

since we are having some rules-lawyering fun.....

I agree that it is a balance issue for ranged, but it is also a logical one as Josh alluded to. A ranged attack user could make the same argument regardless of range whenever someone moves in their line of sight. This is obviously unbalancing and distorts how regular combat works. I think the AoO for melee is about someone literally passing through the space you are swinging your wpn in. Remembering that while rpg combat takes place in turns, 1 at a time, realistically, it is all happening at once over a 6 sec period, we just break it down into separate actions to make it more user friendly. So someone is passing through melee threat zone, while that person is in the act of fighting. Also keeping in mind that 1 attack roll represents many swings\dodges\feints\parries in that 6 second period.

I also think that not giving ranged wpn users an AoO avoids 2 bigger problems
    1) a melee character would have a helluva time ever closing into range, he would be taking so much fire from AoO that it would make melee obsolete

2) (issue at hand) in his AoO, he fired a ranged wpn in my melee threat zone, so according to the rules, I get an AoO against his AoO! It doesn't specify any other conditions, just: »» You fire a ranged weapon while adjacent to a foe.
    which goes first? reverse order like an interupt?
    which of course would then make melee users over-powered.... I charge a guy with a gun, get my AoO before his AoO, then my regular attacks

Also - the AoO rules (at least the ones I found and quoted, unless you have other rules) don't say anything about taking a standard action invoking an AoO, just the 3 conditions listed. And only a creature of larger size gets the AoO when someone moves in their square.

I think what covers this scenario would be if the Illithrix saw me coming up the ladder and held his attack until I popped my head up in point blank range.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:20 am

and hitting with the butt of the gun as an AoO just gets silly and usually is not allowed, if I recall. first it is a non-proficiency penalty for using a wpn in a manner it wasn't designed for.

but secondly, it just breaks the flow of combat and makes it silly. imagine Tommy standing next to this cyber-illithrix.....

Tommy fires his pistol point blank, but wait, the illithrix gets an AoO with his rifle, but WAIT, Tommy gets a free AoO and pistol whips him first

this is not what AoO rules are all about in my opinion.

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:37 am

Chris, I perused the rules in 3.5,PF,and 4E to gain insight into this ruling. You may think it's silly to use ranged weapons as blunt objects, but I understand it's generally allowed to use ranged weapons as melee weapons.

But I'm getting a headache from all this. Which is probably why the AoO rules are so light in this edition, not to mention the battlemat as completely optional. Remember the old days when enemies were "near" or "far"?

So no more AoO's for anyone, I'm done.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:41 am

navyik wrote:Jp fires twice on the pilot:

19+7=26
    Dmg=13

12+7=19
    Dmg=24

Then he tumbles off the rocks toward the cliff he fell down earlier.

Acro check: 13+6=19

JP shoots the pilot and sees him fall away from the window that he was peering out.

JP also successfully tumbles down the boulders to the cliff face.

Tommy is up...

whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 am

I think that's the first criticism of the battle mat that I've ever heard.

Could you update the map possibly, before Tommy takes his turn?

For the record (I'll confess Rob that I don't recognize 4th Edition, much like any sequel to Highlander)... Pathfinder does allow you to use guns as melee weapons. It's a 3rd level Gunslinger ability called Pistol Whip... you basically just attack them normally like you would with any other melee weapon and then do a d6 in damage.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:42 am

Robyo wrote:
    But I'm getting a headache from all this. Which is probably why the AoO rules are so light in this edition, not to mention the battlemat as completely optional. Remember the old days when enemies were "near" or "far"?

So no more AoO's for anyone, I'm done.

wow, ok.

So the lesson here is that despite this being a new game and set of rules for all 3 players, we can't question the rules, so that we can better understand them as we play, or you will just throw the rules out and end the discussion?

Yes, I remember "near" and "far". I also remember all weapons did d6 in red box D&D, there were no classes (only races), etc. Games and rules have evolved for a reason, primarily so that everyone playing has a better and fair understanding of what is happening.

I don't think AoO has to be a headache, but I do think the rules are very poorly worded in Radiance. I have seen simple and cleanly worded AoO in other games. It really isn't rocket science.

And for the record, I don't think pistol whips and rifle butt hits are silly - I think saying that someone armed with a ranged wpn gets to use that wpn to get an AoO is silly. No archer is going to risk breaking his longbow just to whack the ork that runs by, it wasn't designed for that.

quick sample AoO rules:

To gain an AoO a player\npc must have a melee wpn drawn and must have already acted and be capable of action, in this combat. (not flatfooted, stunned, etc).

Provoking an AoO comes from doing something within the melee threat range (10' for reach wpns, giants, etc) of another player\npc - ie moving through their threatened space (w\o tumble, 5 ft step), using a 2 Handed ranged wpn (from Star Wars, pistol use makes total sense in melee range), casting a spell, using a skill usually reserved for out of combat (computer use, search, etc).

Maximum of 1 AoO per turn, unless you have some feat\talent etc.

AoO happen before the intended action, for combat sequencing.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:50 am

Gonna have to agree with Chris here. AoO are pretty important if anyone ever plays a Monk or something that's a close range fighter. Let's be honest, there are several aspects of Radiance that are poorly written or not well thought out. It's the inherent flaw of one person designing a game and not getting it play tested. I've tried to avoid most of my criticisms so far and just enjoy the game for what it is... don't get me started on the skills in this game Wink

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 am

Come on guys, dont piss off the dm. I wanna kick some ass! Twisted Evil
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:29 am

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here... you're amongst rules lawyers.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm not against Opportunity Attacks. Seeing as how I'm the one who first initiated one in this encounter. I'm just not happy with the liteness of the rules in Radiance as written when they relate to AoOs. So it's another area to be houseruled.

I like this, but agreed it's not written as clearly as it could be. "Threat zone" helps to differentiate.

I think in our case, the moment when Auren popped his head up through the trap door is when he got zapped. He could not get and AoO then, because he was still holding onto the ladder and I believe had his sword sheathed then, and making a perception check.

This one I do not like. The only magic restriction I'm calling for is radiance powder required as a component for paragon and epic tiers.

moving.

This rule I like, but the creature need not be larger, only same size or greater. (We can use reach rules for larger creatures). You can also resolve the attack with a ranged weapon. No feat-tax to do so. Finally, if you are proficient in a weapon, you can use it bluntly (bow, handle of a dagger/sword,pistol butt, etc).

This rule also cover disengaging from a fight, unless someone shifts.

Last edited by Robyo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:17 pm

whit10 wrote:I think that's the first criticism of the battle mat that I've ever heard.

Could you update the map possibly, before Tommy takes his turn?

For the record (I'll confess Rob that I don't recognize 4th Edition, much like any sequel to Highlander)... Pathfinder does allow you to use guns as melee weapons. It's a 3rd level Gunslinger ability called Pistol Whip... you basically just attack them normally like you would with any other melee weapon and then do a d6 in damage.

I probably won't before the weekend. Honestly, the tokens haven't moved much since the last posting. Balloon is centered on K-10, about 10 feet up. What do you want to know? The ladder is still hanging down. Tommy can vaguely see the illithrix and Auren fighting in front of a window. He can target the illithrix, but it's -5 penalty to fire into melee.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Chris wrote:
    Robyo wrote:the cyber-illithrix fires twice at Auren:

1) 14 vs Ref = 17 damage

2) 16 vs Ref = 14 damage

Auren does get an attack of opportunity against the cyber-illithrix since he is using a ranged wpn in my melee threat zone. Twisted Evil

Greatsword attack

19 + 11 = 30

damage

5 + 2 + 19 = 26 +4 if evil alignment = 30

Auren takes 4 and 1 vitality if the illithrix survived my AoO which goes first.

The mighty strike is repelled by the illithrix's force shield (immediate action).
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:04 am

Well I pretty much can't do jack then so... pick up my rifle and holster my pistol I guess.

that -5 to shooting into melee is really shitty IMO. Especially since there's no way for a Gunslinger to negate it (which makes no sense)

Actually, cancel that, drop my pistol and pick up the rifle and reload... I still have grit left so that might make a difference for next round.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:31 am

Robyo wrote:I'm not against Opportunity Attacks. Seeing as how I'm the one who first initiated one in this encounter. I'm just not happy with the liteness of the rules in Radiance as written when they relate to AoOs. So it's another area to be houseruled.

I like this, but agreed it's not written as clearly as it could be. "Threat zone" helps to differentiate.

I think in our case, the moment when Auren popped his head up through the trap door is when he got zapped. He could not get and AoO then, because he was still holding onto the ladder and I believe had his sword sheathed then, and making a perception check.

This one I do not like. The only magic restriction I'm calling for is radiance powder required as a component for paragon and epic tiers.

moving.

This rule I like, but the creature need not be larger, only same size or greater. (We can use reach rules for larger creatures). You can also resolve the attack with a ranged weapon. No feat-tax to do so. Finally, if you are proficient in a weapon, you can use it bluntly (bow, handle of a dagger/sword,pistol butt, etc).

This rule also cover disengaging from a fight, unless someone shifts.

Great - thanks for the House Rule!

so just to clarify - there is no AoO for skill use while adjacent to a foe, correct? this would seem consistent with your ruling on casting a spell, but I just wanted to make sure since you are crafting the house rule, we can be done with it.

Is there a 1 AoO limit per turn? I think that was written in the Radiance book, so just checking to see if that transferred to the HR.

*********************************************************************************************

Rob, I think you are telling a GREAT story so far and I really enjoy your style and dedication to maps, photos and details. I hope you didn't take my comments as an attack on you, but rather, as Josh noted, a general disappointment in how the rule was written. And yes, I have been accused of rules-lawyerin' on a few occasions. I am sorry and will try to keep it in check and enjoy the game.

********************************************************************************************

Auren is waiting for the pilot and trying to figure out how to overcome this cotton-pickin force field......
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:38 am

Nevermind, I guess the pilot is dead.

Since this force field has just taken more damage than an elephant, Auren will try a different approach. (I don't have my radiance book here in rockford, so someone double check this)

Auren will attempt the combat maneuver 'knock out', whereby I forfeit all his usual attacks and make 1 roll vs each of the illithrix's defenses to try and knock him out. I know it takes 3 successes for a full KO, but there was some result for 2 I believe.

I am pretty sure it doesn't call for any damage to be rolled, just if the attacks succeed, so it should bypass his force field.

Move action - combat focus for +2

attack vs Fort
    Result of the throw of dice "1d20 +9" :

12 + 9 = 21

attack vs Reflex

20 + 9 = 29

Attack vs Will

16 + 9 = 25
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:58 pm

whit10 wrote:Well I pretty much can't do jack then so... pick up my rifle and holster my pistol I guess.

that -5 to shooting into melee is really shitty IMO. Especially since there's no way for a Gunslinger to negate it (which makes no sense)

Actually, cancel that, drop my pistol and pick up the rifle and reload... I still have grit left so that might make a difference for next round.

Perfect Aim would be a handy ability, though it's a daily..

Here's a house-ruled ability that is useful (though a bit overpowered):
    ~Triple Shot (Basic): You can fire x3 shots @ -2 attack roll; costs 5 vitality.

I was going to wait until you leveled up to give it to you, but you can swap it out with something else now, if you wish.

Last edited by Robyo on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:37 am; edited 3 times in total
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Chris wrote:
    *********************************************************************************************

Rob, I think you are telling a GREAT story so far and I really enjoy your style and dedication to maps, photos and details. I hope you didn't take my comments as an attack on you, but rather, as Josh noted, a general disappointment in how the rule was written. And yes, I have been accused of rules-lawyerin' on a few occasions. I am sorry and will try to keep it in check and enjoy the game.

********************************************************************************************

Thanks man! Very Happy
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:20 pm

Chris wrote:Nevermind, I guess the pilot is dead.

Since this force field has just taken more damage than an elephant, Auren will try a different approach. (I don't have my radiance book here in rockford, so someone double check this)

Auren will attempt the combat maneuver 'knock out', whereby I forfeit all his usual attacks and make 1 roll vs each of the illithrix's defenses to try and knock him out. I know it takes 3 successes for a full KO, but there was some result for 2 I believe.

I am pretty sure it doesn't call for any damage to be rolled, just if the attacks succeed, so it should bypass his force field.

Move action - combat focus for +2

attack vs Fort

12 + 9 = 21

attack vs Reflex

20 + 9 = 29

Attack vs Will

16 + 9 = 25

The pilot is dead. His corpse transformed into one of those black slimy guys.

Auren knocks-out the illithrix.

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Illithrix is up...

It's unconscious / helpless... Roll to see if it can wake up: Endurance 14+0 = nope!

The rules do not say how long KO lasts, so I'll just give him Endurance checks each turn (if he lasts that long). If he succeeds, then his condition will go to dazed.
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:33 pm

Lou is still trapped.

Next up: JP...

** BTW, the hot-air balloon impacts at the end of this turn. JP is out of the way, but he might want to move way out of the way!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Jp will do that... but not in the cave.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:10 am

Auren just now realizes that he is literally going down with the ship! "hold on Lou, if I survive, I will heal you up."

*Chris goes digging through his old notes for that mage..... at least Auren got his squid!
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:14 am

navyik wrote:Jp will do that... but not in the cave.

Can you give me a location? Climbing the rope?
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:23 am

Tommy obviously sees the balloon going down... any change of taking an action to do a rope trick and lasso the sheriff?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Jp attempts to climb the rope...
    Athletics 13+1=14 Rolling Eyes

Second roll
    7+1=8 Suspect
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:52 pm

whit10 wrote:Tommy obviously sees the balloon going down... any change of taking an action to do a rope trick and lasso the sheriff?

mmmm.... the Marshall (not sheriff, ya bumpkin) isn't sure he wants to be lassoed. Shocked

at least squid-face won't get to make a reflex save since he is KO'd Evil or Very Mad
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:39 pm

Swift action... prayer: the last resort sunny of a scoundrel...
    Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:17 pm

navyik wrote:Swift action... prayer: the last resort sunny of a scoundrel...

You have two faith points you can use. And beyond buying boons, they are like action points (re-roll, add 1d6 to a roll, healing surge: 1d6+con mod, etc). Pick a deity and refluff as desired. There is no hard-wired pantheon in this campaign.

What theme does JP have? I do see he has awards.

Robyo
    Robyo

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Robyo Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:20 pm

whit10 wrote:Tommy obviously sees the balloon going down... any change of taking an action to do a rope trick and lasso the sheriff?

You could spend a faith point to gain a standard or move action.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:19 am