Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

5 posters

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue60/112ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0/0ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty Re: ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS

Post  MAS Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:39 pm

Chris wrote:I think part of the difficulty with seeing the grenades is just the scale of the map, which is larger with smaller hex marking.  But anything you can do to improve that is appreciated.

as for other feedback.... after our further discussions and another couple rounds, I am ready to terminate this simulation, if you both are.  

Given my unfamiliarity with u5 still (book has been shipped finally) I would be willing to move onto whatever phase you deem is appropriate next.  I am fine with more testing or with going straight into GIJOE campaign mode.  

I would prefer starting on the lower end of levels, just to experience u5 a bit more, especially if we jump up tiers as you suggested earlier, but I will play with whatever starting req.s the GM wants.  

All sounds good, I had intended for these targets to be easy, just to get the flow of play down - and agree we are getting a good enough picture. Lets have a discussion about it, specifically on the SR and VR vs Standard issues. 

Thoughts on Simultaneous resolution? How might you change/refine it? What works, what does not? What else about it do you think needs refinement, and how?

Any feedback, short or long, is welcome. 

I'll start a different discussion thread for theory and alternate game structure and such. 

Just seeds for a future games thread:
    I want to spend some time refining the GI JOE content further before playing it. Collaboration on world building/adventure & scenario design would be welcomed and enjoyed. Point being, I want to try to put things in place before launching into it with some thoroughly planned content.   

If someone else wants to run a U5 game, Id play. I'd also run some kind of U5 with standard combat resolution with up to 3 players, or a bigger party with SR. Disaster/thriller/survival? Post-apocalypse? Supers? Cops vs Robbers? 

I know @Alan doesnt feel resourced to do maps and such; If he wants to run any game, Ill contendly do maps and visuals/support products for a game rather than run a character. Could be a cool collaboration!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue35/35ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0/0ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:23 pm

SR\VI - will save for the other thread

GIJOE - I understand and that's fine, I can wait.  I do really want to play that genre though, so get to work!

Since I think it might just be us 3... I would be fine with either Matt or Alan running any genre game.  I can also help with maps, but not full time.  For example, I could help move tokens during the day, if the GM sends me the PP.  I can help find maps, etc.  

We might get Josh interested if it isn't a dystopian-future setting scratch

that would bring us up to 3 players + a GM, all active posters equals fast play!

if Josh is out, I would be fine with a thriller\post-apoc\survival setting

I would be fine with an Expanse-type setting - space, future, sci-fi, but not space fantasy.  A custom setting is a lot of work though for the GM.  

I would also be 100% fine with the GM running pre-made modules.  THere is some really good content out there for D&D at least.  I don't know if anything exists for non D&D.
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue19/19ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue1/0ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:55 pm

yikes... what a long damned discussion. lol

Ok, pardon me, I tried to 'catch up' on the conversation after Chris suggested I do so....

1) yes, I will play something that isn't just straight up modern combat w/o character stuff and isn't dystopian (never been a fan of dystopian settings in general)

2) GI-Joe the RPG sounds hilarious and I'm in if that's what we go for.... I'm not sure how the character stuff will come in but that's why we have creativity. The funny thing is that the comic they put out in the 80s was actually good for a few years (then it wasn't, kinda like much of Marvel at the time). They actually had some character development stuff (at least on a small level) and people actually died all the time.

3) sci-fi or futuristic: I'm not 'against' it but, right now, my interest in non-SW sci-fi (or whatever you wish to call it) is pretty low. Just being honest
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue60/112ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:27 pm

whit10 wrote:yikes... what a long damned discussion. lol

Ok, pardon me, I tried to 'catch up' on the conversation after Chris suggested I do so....

1) yes, I will play something that isn't just straight up modern combat w/o character stuff and isn't dystopian (never been a fan of dystopian settings in general)

2) GI-Joe the RPG sounds hilarious and I'm in if that's what we go for.... I'm not sure how the character stuff will come in but that's why we have creativity. The funny thing is that the comic they put out in the 80s was actually good for a few years (then it wasn't, kinda like much of Marvel at the time). They actually had some character development stuff (at least on a small level) and people actually died all the time.

3) sci-fi or futuristic: I'm not 'against' it but, right now, my interest in non-SW sci-fi (or whatever you wish to call it) is pretty low. Just being honest

All the GI JOE comics, no download required. 
    https://comiconlinefree.net/comic/g-i-joe-a-real-american-hero
    So, you've posted with what I must assume is an interest in playing, what do you WANT to play/HAVE interest in?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue35/35ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:37 pm

MAS wrote:

All the GI JOE comics, no download required. 

in a box in my garage, at least up to maybe 75 or 100.

the first 10 were hot garbage, but then they started to get good with the 20s-30s being the best, imho - snake eyes\stormshadow backstory, ocktober guard, etc.

I will never forget #21 - "Silent Interlude" aka the silent issue, no dialogue, just snake eyes sneaking into some castle, fighting stormshadow and the reveal of the ninja insignia on both their arms - mind blown by age 10
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:40 pm

MAS wrote:
    So, you've posted with what I must assume is an interest in playing, what do you WANT to play/HAVE interest in?

this is the right question!

in no particular order:

GI JOE
    Josh's world of darkness circa WWI
    anything trippy and weird that Alan can think of, the more enemies in giant spinning razor tops the better
    sci-fi expanse genre (gritty, realistic, not space fantasy)

u5 +/- d&d rules cover just about anything we could think of

I think it is also fair to ask the potential GM the same question:

what story do you WANT to tell?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue68/68ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:26 am

Lower levels are fine if we’re simulating or planning to advance after each scenario. That also lets us examine the advancement process.

I posted my next action just in case we want to keep going. With only two bogeys left, we might as well try some things. Take risks with the mechanics.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:48 am

Just to be clear Josh, I was asking sincerely and without snark. 

Too cool on the comics collection @ Chris! Some of the storylines were indeed very cool as Josh pointed out as well. I recall the silent one, I recall the origin of snake eyes stuff being really cool, tied into storm shadow and all that. I re-read the first 10 or so last few weeks and the cheese factor is high - but the its rich for modernization and fun. 

@ Alan: Was thinking a big picture level progression of: 1,2,5,8,11,14,17,20. One Mission at each level. 8 Missions for a whole campaign (a mission being multiple encounters). Could play solid up to lvl 5 and then start jumping, as a "medium" option, or space it out 1,2,4,6,8,12,16,20

Agree that we can do just about anything between the half dozen solid 5e ruleset we have. U5 has a splatbook called "Apex" that could make for a cool Supers or Mage style game. They also have a solid Cyberpunk splat, but thats a bit on dystopian side. 

I'd like to try a genre/trope we haven't played. For example - there is all sorts of SciFi that isnt space. Sliders. Fringe/X-files. Twilight Zone. Old school TV, like Lost In Space, more focused on PVE than PV creatures. We could do something that is straight up scifi survival, like Mark Watney style adventure ala "The Martian", or space mining an asteroid in "Armageddon". Disaster movies like "San Andreas" or "Towering inferno" or "titanic". There is always history to tap. Josh's WoD setting has a lot of potential, up and down the timeline too. WoD American Revolution? Non combat focused? No magic straight up "behind the scenes" of a historical event? Diplomacy and intrigue focused game? Investigation - bootleg era gumshoes? Call of Cthulhu horror/investigation? Ocean's 11 style Heist? "Big Trouble in Little Rockford" ? Im open and flexible. Ideally I want to give Rob a little time to get things settled, and time to develop the GI JOE the way I see it before we "go", so maybe something intended to last 3-4 months? Call the tune and I will fiddle. 

In down with mopping up or moving on as we hash out the way ahead. 
    -----

Just sharing, I'm using ARMA 3 to make maps and visuals for the GI JOE stuff. Also doing some similar stuff for Rob's story he is writing with it.  Messing around with a bunch of mods, and came across this iconic team! 

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 20210210
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:09 pm

MAS wrote:

I'd like to try a genre/trope we haven't played. For example - there is all sorts of SciFi that isnt space. Sliders. Fringe/X-files. Twilight Zone. Old school TV, like Lost In Space, more focused on PVE than PV creatures. We could do something that is straight up scifi survival, like Mark Watney style adventure ala "The Martian", or space mining an asteroid in "Armageddon". Disaster movies like "San Andreas" or "Towering inferno" or "titanic". There is always history to tap. Josh's WoD setting has a lot of potential, up and down the timeline too. WoD American Revolution? Non combat focused? No magic straight up "behind the scenes" of a historical event? Diplomacy and intrigue focused game? Investigation - bootleg era gumshoes? Call of Cthulhu horror/investigation? Ocean's 11 style Heist? "Big Trouble in Little Rockford" ? Im open and flexible. Ideally I want to give Rob a little time to get things settled, and time to develop the GI JOE the way I see it before we "go", so maybe something intended to last 3-4 months? Call the tune and I will fiddle. 

I would like to keep with our typical balance of combat-exploration-social.

Call of Cthulhu, alt timeline WoD, X-files\fringe = all sound good to me

I am not as interested in disaster movies, nor do I enjoy watching them Wink
    whit10
    whit10

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue19/19ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
    Action Points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue1/0ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  whit10 Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:01 pm

honestly guys, do whatever you decide. I'm not really in a good place right now and gaming is just uninteresting to me anymore.

have fun
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:29 pm

Chris wrote:
    MAS wrote:

I would like to keep with our typical balance of combat-exploration-social.  

Call of Cthulhu, alt timeline WoD, X-files\fringe = all sound good to me

I am not as interested in disaster movies, nor do I enjoy watching them Wink

We'll see what Alan chimes in with.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue68/68ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:48 pm

I don’t have a preference other than that I wanted to play with U5 some more. GI JOE seemed fun if people want to do it. If not, I’m easy. Could do a sort of Tom Clancy approach to the X-files. Like what if Mulder and Scully had an ops team like Jack Ryan has. Maybe The Lone Gunmen provide intel.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:21 pm

Ok, chewing on what I'm hearing - with 2 players (or even 3, if Josh or Rob join in) we could play some "Pre JOE". I say this because I want to put together some full blown products for what I had originally envisioned - and I am still developing the workflow/method for some of that. For this, I'll use more traditional methods will add capability as we go. 

You guys seem hip on the action/adventure/agent thing so let's run with that rather than develop a whole separate thing. So, a prequel! 

December 2001: Afghani/Pakistani Border region Tora Bora. A team of US "Advisors" are hot on the trail of UBL, but discover something else entirely...

How low lvl do you want to start - 1,2,3? 
    Lets stay single class for this. Vanilla RAW U5, no splats, nothing outside that book. Maps will use grids (dammit). Initiative will be static. Combat resolutions will be in standard sequence. You are welcome to make/play 2 characters if you like.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:19 pm

MAS wrote:

December 2001: Afghani/Pakistani Border region Tora Bora. A team of US "Advisors" are hot on the trail of UBL, but discover something else entirely...

How low lvl do you want to start - 1,2,3? 
    Lets stay single class for this. Vanilla RAW U5, no splats, nothing outside that book. Maps will use grids (dammit). Initiative will be static. Combat resolutions will be in standard sequence. You are welcome to make/play 2 characters if you like.

sounds great! cheers

my u5 hard cover just arrived today, perfect timing.  I think I got the revised though since there are rules for aliens, spliced, androids, etc.  Full color pages, very high quality!

I vote for level 1, but I wouldn't argue against 3 for archetypes either.  u5 get so many more skills and abilities at 1!

GM:  Humans only?  
    Tech 2? (mid-late 20th century)

Alan:  class coordination or play whatever we want?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:32 am

I am thinking....

combat: infiltrator or sniper with search\recon out-of-combat skills (more ranger than rogue)
    non-combat: face\marshall with social and minor medical (if I can fit it)
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:26 am

ChrisGM:  Humans only? wrote:Tech 2?   (mid-late 20th century)

Yes to both. 

Lets start at level 1.

@ Chris: Both concepts sound like skill sets that fit nicely.

@ Alan: Whatcha thinking for characters?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:32 am

this sounds like we could be military, quasi-military or pvt civilian contractor?

so, no restrictions on class\ladder\background?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:27 pm

Chris wrote:December 2001: Afghani/Pakistani Border region Tora Bora. A team of US "Advisors" are hot on the trail of UBL, but discover something else entirely...

this sounds like we could be military, quasi-military or pvt civilian contractor?

so, no restrictions on class\ladder\background?

I'd prefer that we not lean into anything "supernatural" - psionics or such. Lets keep it within "realistic/in real life" bounds, to the point of comfortable suspension of disbelief. 

We'll say this is a US Joint agency team operating under US DOD, so ultimately 99% would be some variety/combo of military spec ops (Delta SEAL, Airforce combat controller or Pararescue, MARSOC, Intel/ counterintel, etc) Intel agency (CIA, DIA, NSA) Law enforcement (FBI, Secret Service, Texas Rangers, Interpol, etc) backgrounds. Something extremely niche/technical might require a contractor drawn from outside that pool, but that would be rare. There wouldn't be a reason to hire/include a PMC as they hire people who USED to do this stuff, unless they had some super focused skill or knowledge independent of being a PMC. One interesting character concept/possibility for a niche specialist would be a cultural/language specialist that somehow has a local background/connection. That could possibly be a Pakistani or Afghani national, or born/raised there and ended up an American citizen, Ambassadors kid who grew up overseas, etc. 

In this case, the team is one of the point assets running around the still heavily Taliban controlled SE corner of AFG/Pakistan border. While the US is solidly aligned with Northern Alliance fighters at the time, this region remains heavily under the thumb of the Taliban movement that swept across the border from neighboring Pakistan to take hold in AFG. Many of the negotiations and meetings with tribal leaders are happening for the first few times. The US is heavily viewed as a hostile foreign invader by locals. Solo/small team work must be done with diplomacy and stealth, often with inconsistent communications and absent guidance from command. Make things happen in our favor, and don't make things worse, or make the US look bad. Or dont get caught caught. Nobody wants to know how the sausage gets made. Just make sure it weighs out as ordered. 

The movie "12 Strong" gets cheesey at the end but portrays some of this well (though they are interacting with Northern Alliance).

Ill set up more roleplay and such in the game play, but I hope that gives some clearer picture.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:42 pm

I haven't seen "12 strong" but I will put it in the queue for sure!

that helps a lot, thank you!

all questions asked and answered (for now)
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:47 pm

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 3 Hidden10
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:46 pm

standard point buy for attributes?
    the u5 book doesn't actually say, lol

genetic benefit(s) rolled or chosen?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:59 pm

Chris wrote:standard point buy for attributes?  

Lets use standard 27 point buy, chose your genetics or roll if you like. 

Equipment, you can choose any TL 2 gear, within individual encumbrance. 

The team will start with two Toyota Hilux Pickups for moving around the AO.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:49 pm

I initially read the standard u5 from a free pdf

I ordered the revised u5 since it was full color, 500 pages, etc. At first glance - the ladder, classes, backgrounds, archetypes all look the same to me.

u5r added aliens, robots, gene-spliced, mutants, etc
    lots of GM stuff, there is almost a whole monster manual and lots of pre-made adventures, maps, etc
    more high tech and alien gear, mecha, etc

in the end, lots of great stuff, but the parts we are using look pretty similar to u5
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:35 pm

Chris wrote:I initially read the standard u5 from a free pdf

I ordered the revised u5 since it was full color, 500 pages, etc.  At first glance - the ladder, classes, backgrounds, archetypes all look the same to me.

u5r added aliens, robots, gene-spliced, mutants, etc
    lots of GM stuff, there is almost a whole monster manual and lots of pre-made adventures, maps, etc
    more high tech and alien gear, mecha, etc

in the end, lots of great stuff, but the parts we are using look pretty similar to u5

core is unchanged but redux has some excellent extras! That company has some really nice looking products in its stable. Ive download most of them from trove. 

To give you guys an idea where I am going with creating visual content for this game: this was entirely "filmed" by screenshotting Arma 3 content. I used the Arma/VBS 2nd gen system working sims for the Marines, so this is a more polished version, but this gives you guys an idea of what detail I was able to get into building out a province of Xblamostan at any given time. The system I laid out to be added over it, was intended to add more GM like control over population, combat, and other factors - but this is what it looked like.  Im already using the Arma 3 system to produce pictures and maps for our, and am building towards this kind of work. I getting confident that I can track an entire combat encounter, and then go back and film/photo it from multiple angles. We could then lay voice tracks down done by each player....rabbit hole deepens, but long story short we could go as far as making movies with this stuff. Or just use it make cool game stuff like I already am! I like to dream. 

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:32 pm

huh huh huh huh... coool!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:52 pm

I will have to go back and read more above, but I will make a techie with instincts for bigger guns and probably enough medical skill to help Chris’s face/nurse.

I would rather make a sneaky gunslinger for my second character. Let’s see where Chris goes between infiltrator or sniper as I will build in the opposite direction in the skill tree. Wouldn’t mind trying a sniper either. Though a well made Grounder cal fill multiple roles. Chris, you go first on the second character and I will fill in the holes.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:18 pm

I have just read through the character stuff again today. At the moment, i am leaning towards:

Marshall + veteran/performer (battlemaster + social skills + medicine, maybe multi medic later)

Infiltrator + runner (parkour skirmisher)
    Or
    Sniper + survivor/veteran (country ranger)

So, I would say, build what you want Wink
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:35 pm

"Gecko" posted in characters. He definitely ended up more on the Rogue side than Ranger, but he has solid recon skills

working on #2
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:28 am

MAS wrote:
    Chris wrote:standard point buy for attributes?  

Lets use standard 27 point buy, chose your genetics or roll if you like. 

Equipment, you can choose any TL 2 gear, within individual encumbrance. 

The team will start with two Toyota Hilux Pickups for moving around the AO.

Are the characters supplying from a central armory per mission, or do they need to own a full collection of equipment limited by encumberence.

Also, it looks like Chris is equipped within the starting prices listed in the class descriptions. I interpreted we had full access to all Tech level 2.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:57 am

"Doc" is finished - Intellectual\Veteran\Marshall
    might multi-class into medic later

and yes, I just went with the starting equipment from background\ladder\class
    I ended up with free armor, 2-3 free weapons

I haven't even spent the extra $$, but I need to look through the rest of the cool gear stuff

I am eager to see what Alan is cooking up! bounce
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:36 am

Chris wrote:"Doc" is finished - Intellectual\Veteran\Marshall
    might multi-class into medic later

and yes, I just went with the starting equipment from background\ladder\class
    I ended up with free armor, 2-3 free weapons

I haven't even spent the extra $$, but I need to look through the rest of the cool gear stuff

I am eager to see what Alan is cooking up!  bounce

Looks like we aren’t multi-classing, so I am a little delayed in trying to account for how choices will develop. I’m close to being ready with both characters.

Techie who has cochlear implants. Want him to read lips but I don’t see a mechanic for that in this book.

Gunslinger can also function as a sniper when called for but is really designed as a sweeper to watch Gecko’s back. Remaking Mime an an NSA profiler. He is a logical operative with extremely high functioning autism. He has been heavily trained to calculate social interactions to compensate for lack of natural social awareness.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:55 am

navyik wrote:
    Looks like we aren’t multi-classing, so I am a little delayed in trying to account for how choices will develop. I’m close to being ready with both characters.

Techie who has cochlear implants. Want him to read lips but I don’t see a mechanic for that in this book.

Medic is only meh anyways, I can get some healing done

Remember, u5 is meant to be used with D&D 5e.  For example, none of the skills or feats are listed, except the new ones.  It is assumed you also use D&D.

Feat:  Observant

Quick to notice details of your environment, you gain the following benefits:

• Increases your Intelligence or Wisdom by 1, to a maximum of 20.

If you can see a creature's mouth while it is speaking a language you understand, you can interpret their words by reading their lips.

• You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and Intelligence (Investigation) scores.

Doc might take the Healer feat down the road too

I probably should have asked, if we can take Variant Human, that would solve a few problems!
    I think a vHuman would still get 1 genetic, 2 with a flaw
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:05 pm

Chris wrote:
    navyik wrote:

Medic is only meh anyways, I can get some healing done

Remember, u5 is meant to be used with D&D 5e.  For example, none of the skills or feats are listed, except the new ones.  It is assumed you also use D&D.

Feat:  Observant

Quick to notice details of your environment, you gain the following benefits:

• Increases your Intelligence or Wisdom by 1, to a maximum of 20.

If you can see a creature's mouth while it is speaking a language you understand, you can interpret their words by reading their lips.

• You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and Intelligence (Investigation) scores.

Doc might take the Healer feat down the road too

I probably should have asked, if we can take Variant Human, that would solve a few problems!
    I think a vHuman would still get 1 genetic, 2 with a flaw

Ditto on variant human question, though it affects the endurance mechanic. Are we still using that?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:08 pm

navyik wrote:

Ditto on variant human question, though it affects the endurance mechanic. Are we still using that?

good question, I forgotten about that, lol drunken
    but it could still be a choice, fewer endurance points or a starting feat
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:15 pm

Nice builds so far! I scanned them but will go over in depth later. 

Yes, unlimited access to TL2 gear. GM gets final veto to make sure its still within context. Keep in mind you are on foot/wheels in hostile country, so think along the lines of what you'd carry in that context, and what you can carry on your person. 

No on endurance mechanic being used (needs testing) - RAW U5. Yes for human variants. 

Rob is going to join us as soon as he can in a few weeks, still intended to slot in a demo engineer type. I've accounted for dropping him in at a random point in the story...in the story, so it wont be disruptive. 

Id like to try to start by this time next week, if we can get characters squared away. 

Want to touch on something for expectation management. I intend to do about a half dozen encounters with this, and then we'll jump into "Now" - In 2023, in which there is a 20 year difference. In this adventure, most of the encounters will be taliban, PMC, or other nation's assets, so in this prequel, don't expect Cobra Troopers, or uniforms, or HISS tanks, etc. 

Rob suggested to treat this an alternate timeline from the OG JOE, which I like. There were spec ops "JOE" style teams during the cold war, but no COBRA or associated problems. In this timeline, COBRA emerges later. As Rob brought up, this means that we may see some "side switching". He pointed out accurately that most of the COBRA villains were independent contractors - and that in another timeline, they could have been JOEs, or JOEs could have gone COBRA. This is gymnastics to allow him to use  the FIREFLY codename and be a saboteur, witch Im 100% for. My addition to that was, like the 007 designation, code names sometimes are attached to the job vs the individual. Anyways, feel free to play with that idea a bit, too. There are some COBRA that are off limits (Commander, Baroness, Destro, Major Bludd, Zaratn, Tomax NA xamot, The dreadnoks, Storm Shadow, and a veto if I forgot a few, lol). I may do a secret draft to see who ends up on what side!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:37 pm

Thank you for the replies, that helps a lot.

Thanks also for the clearly laid out expectation management. I WISH I could get some of the attorneys I work for understand that drunken

so.... if we jump 20 years into the future, is the expectation that we will make new characters or that we will be playing the same characters (if they survive) but at age 45-50?

For example, I would still play "Doc" now, but I might want to save "Gecko" for the longer campaign and not use him just for a couple months. Alternately, I could make the sniper build I was eyeing as well for now.

I will adjust Doc to vHuman, so he can have Healer feat which will cover us and change his team power, since Quick Patch would be very redundant. It will also affect his stats, of course.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:16 pm

Glad it was helpful. Expectation management really can forestall a lot of friction! Had to chew on this for a while, here is my intent, open for discourse of course. This should allow one to drive characters through the whole story if they choose. And it gives me a couple decades of real world history to play with setting things up, which I like. 

Each season is intended to be a mission, which is approx 4-8 scenes/encounters. 

Clarification: I stated that this was a US DOD mission, to be clear its multinational but operating with US DOD as command and control. So it will be the US you will be interacting with via radio, phone, any comms. They also provide whatever drone, fire support, vehicles, intel, etc. you are using in this first mission. But your backgrounds can be international. 

Hidden Venom (2003-2006)
    Season 1 (AFG Border region, search for UBL) lvl 1 
    Season 2 (Fall of Baghdad, WMD and HVTs) lvl 2
    Season 3 (Korean Peninsula) lvl4 
    Serpent Rising (2010-2021)
    Season 4 lvl 8
    Season 5 lvl 12
    Season 6 lvl 14 
    Viper Strike (2022+)
    Season 7 lvl 16
    Season 8 lvl 18
    Season 9 lvl 20
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:26 pm

MAS wrote:This should allow one to drive characters through the whole story if they choose.

But your backgrounds can be international. 

Hidden Venom (2003-2006)
    Season 4 lvl 8
    Season 5 lvl 12
    Season 6 lvl 14 
    Viper Strike (2022+)
    Season 7 lvl 16
    Season 8 lvl 18
    Season 9 lvl 20

that reminds me of something we discussed a while ago - changing out each mission, if we want, or to better match skill sets to the mission at hand. is that still something you are planning to use?

international background - nice adjustment

WOW - that is a really well-planned roadmap!
    I think its going to be cool to tell a story in this format, instead of the uninterrupted, linear, level-by-level model.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:59 pm

Chris wrote:
    MAS wrote:This should allow one to drive characters through the whole story if they choose.

But your backgrounds can be international. 

Hidden Venom (2003-2006)
    Season 4 lvl 8
    Season 5 lvl 12
    Season 6 lvl 16 
    Viper Strike (2022-2025)
    Season 7 lvl 17
    Season 8 lvl 18
    Season 9 lvl 19

The Movie: Lvl 20 Wink 

that reminds me of something we discussed a while ago - changing out each mission, if we want, or to better match skill sets to the mission at hand.  is that still something you are planning to use?  

international background - nice adjustment

WOW - that is a really well-planned roadmap!  
    I think its going to be cool to tell a story in this format, instead of the uninterrupted, linear, level-by-level model.  

thanks man, I think with all involved, it will play out in a really fun way. 

Yes sir! Entirely encourage the "roster" approach, switch out between seasons if you like. I'd ask for commitment to chosen characters for the length of the mission. I do plan on crafting some niche skill missions, also I can craft missions to fit the characters, or at least ensure that challenges included offer opportunities for them. For instance, a Pilot/Driver may be really useful for one mission but not another.

Made a quick adjustment, but laying this out, players can pre-build characters all the way through each level to see what they look like, if they want. 

You can multiclass for builds in Season 3 and up. RAW U5, no splats. I dont have a pdf copy of redux yet, so if you are working from redux and its something that isnt in core, Ill need to see it somehow. 

Hidden Venom (2003-2006)
    Serpent Rising (2010-2020)
    Season 4 lvl 8
    Season 5 lvl 12
    Season 6 lvl 16 
    Viper Strike (2021-?)
    Season 7 lvl 17
    Season 8 lvl 18
    Season 9 lvl 19
    (Unnamed Screenplay) 
    The Movie: Lvl 20 Wink
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:00 pm

MAS wrote: I dont have a pdf copy of redux yet, so if you are working from redux and its something that isnt in core, Ill need to see it somehow. 

I have u5 redux as a .pdf

do you still have your Google drive? I think Jamie has one. Pando? Dropbox?
    its too big to email, but I can get it you both
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:17 pm

sent google drive link to

sutterhawkes
    matthews836

let me know when you receive or if you use a different email now

from

ssmacmetado

steamboat springs martial arts club meta do
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:42 pm

Got it, much appreciated!!! 

@Chris: Doc was Army, so lets say he went Medic, SF medic, and then into Delta. HOOAH! 

PArkour ninja....interesting! Hmmm, maybe started off Marine Infantry, got sent to Mtn Warfare school on the random, stood out as a climber, got sent to the Assault Climbers course, He can do magic with ropes, though he doesn't often need them. Served in Force Recon/MARSOC (Marine Special Operations Command). There are not many places he cant access, no terrain too complex! 

@ Alan: Looks like you are moving towards a combat investigator type? cool! "Mime"! You're killin' me! Albino with Aspergers?!? Lol! Its silly but I know you'll make it work.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:15 pm

The second character is a challenge. Want him to be a mechanic with heavy weapons but I dunno. So many exclusive choices. I hate class systems... I will have him done by Monday. I know he’s a local urchin with questionable morality.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:31 am

navyik wrote:The second character is a challenge. Want him to be a mechanic with heavy weapons but I dunno. So many exclusive choices. I hate class systems...  I will have him done by Monday. I know he’s a local urchin with questionable morality.
    Ill be interested to see what you come up with. Looked at several other systems for this but eventually landed on 5e because everyone knows it. Savage Worlds was the other strong frontrunner.

Id be happy to dive into the HERO system again sometime, now that I dont have to physically count all the dice! Thats probably the best "class-less" multi use system Ive seen.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:05 pm

@Alan - I see you included laser sights, scopes, etc. where do you see the stats for these? I can't find them under gear

Class-less games are interesting for sure, but often hard to balance. I think back to old d6 SW, shadowrun, vampire, etc. You had race, something like Ladder, backgrounds, etc

I think u5 is only 1 step away from that by allowing any class to pair with any archetype.

When I was looking to make a drone operator\rigger type, I didn't really see anything that fit what I wanted to do, so I sorta gave up on it. I probably had something more like a re-skinned Artificer from d&d in mind with making the drones and having spells re-skinned to 1-off drones, etc
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:04 pm

Chris wrote:@Alan - I see you included laser sights, scopes, etc.  where do you see the stats for these?  I can't find them under gear

Class-less games are interesting for sure, but often hard to balance.  I think back to old d6 SW, shadowrun, vampire, etc.  You had race, something like Ladder, backgrounds, etc

I think u5 is only 1 step away from that by allowing any class to pair with any archetype.  

When I was looking to make a drone operator\rigger type, I didn't really see anything that fit what I wanted to do, so I sorta gave up on it.  I probably had something more like a re-skinned Artificer from d&d in mind with making the drones and having spells re-skinned to 1-off drones, etc

@ Chris: Combat accessories, pg 153 of the redux pdf. 

@ Alan, have you looked at combining Heavy with Field machinist for big guns and wrenching?

@ Chris 
    There is a rigger class in one of the 5e splats I've seen, Ill track it down. Neurospasta has the "freediver" class that is more like a hacker/netrunner. We can take a look at importing those classes, and or the drones/remotes with stat blocks they have in the systems if we conclude that we need additional rule support for the concept - but, In U5 RAW, Techie class and Driver archetype look like a solid capability. Have you looked at that?

Does anyone not have a Neurospasta pdf, and want it? Cyberpunk splat from same company that makes U5. I dont want to open the whole ruleset just yet, but the freediver/hacking/robots stuff is a an easy port. Having trouble opening trove today, but I can send the pdf through other means if needed.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:25 pm

pg 153 - I see it now, thanks! I must have glanced right past it 10 times, lol

I don't have Neurospasta, but I can find it if needed. I am still reading u5 redux and didn't want to inject other stuff we weren't using.

I am fine with the rule set we agreed to. I think it was more a matter of my expectation vs what is there. I remember your lobster-in-a-mecha and expected to be able to reproduce that. But that was PF, so yeah...
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:43 pm

LOBSTER IN A MECHA would make a great band name, ha! 

Take a look at the "Path of technology" and "path of creation" in the redux Magic rules with a "Technomancer" archetype which gives you a familiar style bot at 3rd level.

Yes, lets open up all of redux, as its a more complete capability set. 

NOT using UltraMaxx. 

keep it to 27 point variant humans as before. 

No Mecha, No Cyberware

Magic is open as a proposed solution to meet a concept, but GM reverves veto. No magic healing, mind control, altering gravity, etc - anything that is supernatural in end effect is off the table. 2003 tech level. 

Im down with characters being tweaked between missions as an option, too, you just have to commit to that build/character for that mission. if you decide to try a drone guy with tech/driver and that doesn't work, rebuild it as a skinned tech mage in the next. Sometimes they introduce various versions of the same action figure!!!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:22 pm

MAS wrote:
    Magic is open as a proposed solution to meet a concept, but GM reverves veto. No magic healing, mind control, altering gravity, etc - anything that is supernatural in end effect is off the table. 2003 tech level. 

YES! I mean, NO! now its back to the drawing board. YEEES! but... I want to play NOW, so NO!

MAS wrote:
    Im down with characters being tweaked between missions as an option, too, you just have to commit to that build/character for that mission. if you decide to try a drone guy with tech/driver and that doesn't work, rebuild it as a skinned tech mage in the next. Sometimes they introduce various versions of the same action figure!!!

that is fantastic way to look at it!

my first thought is "Commando" Snake Eyes with the metal visor vs the original with the goggles. I think there was another version of Snake Eyes with a pet wolf named Timber.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:13 pm

lol, figured that would kick the anthill! Go nuts. 

Snake eyes was one I can remember having a few different issues, then of course, there is the world of Star Wars action figures. Different figure for every costume in the movie.  

Hasbro has a 24/7 gi joe youtube channel, last night Snake Eyes w/ Timber and the sailor with the parrot were trapped in Cobra city. Ive been watching them for a while. They are so bad. I smile and laugh through the whole thing. I swear Cobra Commander was the inspiration for Pinkly and the Brain. The other night, his plan was to take over the worlds by using Dr Lucifer's (yes, you read that right) Hi Freq animal control machine. At one point, a pit trap sprung a surprise rhino in a cage on the Joes as they approached the Cobra temple in the Indian jungles. Like you could just stick a rhino in a random hole in the jungle in a spring loaded cage. Its so ludicrous I love it! But there are also some really cool nuggets of story in them. Ive been listening to them as I drift off instead of music the last few weeks nights.

Just to be clear, I don't intend that kind of silly. I think we can do mature action/adventure with this while still maintaining the fun/toy/cinematic feel.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:35 pm