Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

5 posters

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue35/35ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0/0ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Empty Re: ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS

Post  Chris Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:49 pm

look at what I can do bounce

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 File_c10
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue35/35ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0/0ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:00 pm

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Gijoe_11

*edited for spelling drunken *

Last edited by Chris on Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:16 pm

Docwagon has been updated to vHuman. added skill: Science, adjusted attributes and skills, added Feat Healer. replaced quick patch team power with Read Body Language.

I am ready to roll
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue60/112ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:42 pm

EPIC - Too freaking cool man!!!! 

Ima steal that template. 

You squared away on gear?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:47 pm

I can send you the blank

Oh, crap, forgot gear besides the basic stuff.

Given the scenario... are we going to track consumables? Ammo, food, water, etc
    I would be fine if we did
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:19 pm

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 File_c11

just drop it into PowerPoint or whatever, add Text blocks, pictures, etc

I am also happy to make some for Alan, if you don't have the software. its just all copy\paste and only takes a couple minutes
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:18 am

gear updated for both my guys
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue68/68ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:04 am

I will work on gear next day or two. “Bollywood” will take the fire support archetype at 3rd level. Okay if he owns a couple big guns with which he isn’t yet proficient?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue60/112ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:19 am

navyik wrote:I will work on gear next day or two.  “Bollywood” will take the fire support archetype at 3rd level. Okay if he owns a couple big guns with which he isn’t yet proficient?

Carry what you want - but would probably work out better to carry weapons you are proficient in until then, and not take penalties? Your choice of course, but it seems like you'd be handicapping yourself. Is there any way to get that weapon prof under the limbo stick at lvl 1? 

Yes, lets track food, water, and ammo. Id considered simplifying ammo burn a bit and implementing a 1d6 throw per attack for pistols and rifles, 1d10 or 20 for heavy automatics. When you reach the end of your mag in a round, you'll have to reload the next if you have not already done so. Rolling an amount beyond what you have left in a round does not cancel or otherwise effect that round's action, its just means you ran out that round and have no ammo left to continue. That way, just counting magazines and ammo burn during a round. Thoughts?

Id like to look at implementing a  "food/water/sleep deficit = exhaustion levels" mechanic in a game at some point, but it doesn't fit this particular mission particularly well.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:32 pm

MAS wrote:

Hidden Venom (2003-2006)
    Season 1 (AFG Border region, search for UBL) lvl 1 
    Season 2 (Fall of Baghdad, WMD and HVTs) lvl 2
    Season 3 (Korean Peninsula) lvl4 

not trying to pick on Alan's character, but I see smartphone and tablet. I assumed these would not be available given the stated timeframe of Hidden Venom.

Steve Jobs unveiled the iphone in 2007, the first smartphone. Apple didn't really start selling them until the summer of 08. The first Android smartphone wasn't available until fall of '08.

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:38 pm

MAS wrote:
    Yes, lets track food, water, and ammo. Id considered simplifying ammo burn a bit and implementing a 1d6 throw per attack for pistols and rifles, 1d10 or 20 for heavy automatics. When you reach the end of your mag in a round, you'll have to reload the next if you have not already done so. Rolling an amount beyond what you have left in a round does not cancel or otherwise effect that round's action, its just means you ran out that round and have no ammo left to continue. That way, just counting magazines and ammo burn during a round. Thoughts?

I don't understand what you are suggesting, sorry. If I am reading it right... it sounds like rolling an extra die to track ammo used? I think I would just prefer to track actual ammo, which shouldn't be too hard and doesn't need another die roll to c\p.

The rules say it is either 1, 5 (auto), or 10 (heavy auto). that seems easier than rolling each time

ok, question for a military man, cuz I have no clue.... how much ammo, food and water would a team like this actually carry?

I just guessed, but I could be way off.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue68/68ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:15 pm

I’m already close to done. Just need gear and encumbrance. I don’t have the energy to dig back into the bones of my concepts to vet additional source material. I propose we go with what we have and then as we are exposed to new tech and phenomena we reboot our characters or swap out characters.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:04 pm

Chris wrote:
    MAS wrote:

I don't understand what you are suggesting, sorry.  If I am reading it right... it sounds like rolling an extra die to track ammo used?  I think I would just prefer to track actual ammo, which shouldn't be too hard and doesn't need another die roll to c\p.  

The rules say it is either 1, 5 (auto), or 10 (heavy auto).  that seems easier than rolling each time

ok, question for a military man, cuz I have no clue....  how much ammo, food and water would a team like this actually carry?

I just guessed, but I could be way off.  

Cool on regular ammo count. 

Personal loadouts are a big rabbit hole to dive into, because even among standard issue infantry where most of the hardware is provided, there is still personal choice. 

US Army considers a standard combat load to be 7 30 rnd mags/210 rounds for M4/5.56. With all your gear on, that's starting to enter heavy territory, but on combat patrols overseas my buddies typically carried around 10 mags for their carbine. 30 round mag weighs about a pound. Belt fed ammo is heavy, 1000 rounds on top of personal gear is a lot of weight. One 500 round box of linked 7.62 machine gun ammo is 11x7x5.5 in dimension. At least a few grenades, a whole vest full if one is a grenadier.

One MRE bag has like over 1200 calories calories in it. They figure 3 a day, but one is enough to keep one person on their feet for a day. They come in cases of 12. 

Water, 100oz camelback on person. 

Youve got trucks, so its easy to say youve got extra rations and water in them. Its when you leave the trucks and you have to carry everything that it becomes a big issue. 

I dont see logistics being a big issue in this mission, but I want to lay the groundwork.

I should be ready no later than Tuesday. Getting a lot of prep for the opening encounter done today.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:30 pm

yeah, that's what I was wondering. Ok, I didn't realize we had trucks, I thought we were just on foot already. So # of mags and rds\mag is more important than total rds, which can be carried in the truck, unless\until it gets wrecked by IEDs, lol

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:45 pm

updated gear lists, bumped up mag#s to 7, deleted the extra rds

Gecko - had Search skill, which I forgot isn't a thing in 5e, so changed it to Computer Use

Docwagon - made couple changes to better fit his character

intellectual -> drifter (rodeo circuit)
    engineering -> animal handling
    science -> survival

dropped engineering kit, widget bag. Alan has all that stuff covered and didn't fit Docwagon as well anyways.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:08 pm

Chris wrote:
    MAS wrote:

Hidden Venom (2003-2006)
    Season 1 (AFG Border region, search for UBL) lvl 1 
    Season 2 (Fall of Baghdad, WMD and HVTs) lvl 2
    Season 3 (Korean Peninsula) lvl4 

not trying to pick on Alan's character, but I see smartphone and tablet.  I assumed these would not be available given the stated timeframe of Hidden Venom.

Steve Jobs unveiled the iphone in 2007, the first smartphone.  Apple didn't really start selling them until the summer of 08.  The first Android smartphone wasn't available until fall of '08.  

Excellent catch, appreciate the attention to detail.
    In this case it would be "Comms device"  and "laptop". For ease of play, this encrypted device allows comms with allied secure radio freqs and can also make satellite phone calls -within its ability to connect to satellite. 

Ill cover availability of drone, fire, and other support in the intro.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:24 pm

Chris wrote:updated gear lists, bumped up mag#s to 7, deleted the extra rds

Gecko - had Search skill, which I forgot isn't a thing in 5e, so changed it to Computer Use

Docwagon - made couple changes to better fit his character

intellectual -> drifter (rodeo circuit)
    engineering -> animal handling
    science -> survival

dropped engineering kit, widget bag.  Alan has all that stuff covered and didn't fit Docwagon as well anyways.  

Good stuff!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:33 pm

MAS wrote:
    Excellent catch, appreciate the attention to detail.
    In this case it would be "Comms device"  and "laptop". For ease of play, this encrypted device allows comms with allied secure radio freqs and can also make satellite phone calls -within its ability to connect to satellite. 

the tech bloom in our lifetime is just staggering
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:27 pm

Chris wrote:yeah, that's what I was wondering.  Ok, I didn't realize we had trucks, I thought we were just on foot already.  So # of mags and rds\mag is more important than total rds, which can be carried in the truck, unless\until it gets wrecked by IEDs, lol

Think i mentioned it somewhere but we've been posting high volume large paragraphs, sorry bout that. 

Yes, you are spot on. Once dismounted loadout weight becomes a whole different story, but you can actually keep a lot of gear in a truck with a few people. 

Im already seeing some good art to work from, but please attach any images you feel fit your character to your character sheet post if you find more. Im working on your 3D characters for Dossiers. Yup. You heard that right.  Would also appreciate a theme song! 

100% on the tech advances. Its mindblowing. I think of when Pong was legit the cutting edge...

On that note You guys are gonna dig where we are going, I think. Finished this today and too excited not to share. I've got battle maps and pictures Im building too, but here is a mission intro video. I built the encounter out as an ARMA 3 scenario and can now film and photograph it from any angle. 

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:58 am

Search is investigation, right?

Night vision goggles do not appear on the gear list but there is this in descriptions:

Wide Spectrum Goggles. These goggles allow the wear-er to see in total darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, and everything you see is rendered in shades of green, yellow, or blue (your choice).

Assuming tech level 2 since they have been around a long time?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:55 am

HOLY SHIT!  that is awesome, Matt.  solid work there, I am really impressed.  this could take gaming to a new level of movie-style immersion.  

I had the same question about NVG vs WSG.  I assume they are the same things.  

if you recall the ToA days, we talked about the difference between Investigation and Perception

Investigation. When you look around for clues and make deductions based on those clues, you make an Intelligence (Investigation) check. You might deduce the location of a hidden object, discern from the appearance of a wound what kind of weapon dealt it, or determine the weakest point in a tunnel that could cause it to collapse. Poring through ancient scrolls in search of a hidden fragment of knowledge might also call for an Intelligence (Investigation) check.

Perception. Your Wisdom (Perception) check lets you spot, hear, or otherwise detect the presence of something. It measures your general awareness of your surroundings and the keenness of your senses. For example, you might try to hear a conversation through a closed door, eavesdrop under an open window, or hear monsters moving stealthily in the forest. Or you might try to spot things that are obscured or easy to miss, whether they are orcs lying in ambush on a road, thugs hiding in the shadows of an alley, or candlelight under a closed secret door.

Both could be used to "search" an area, but they have different applications.  Perception is just to detect the presence of something in an area.  But you might also be "searching" for clues, to make a deduction, which would be Investigation.  Both are important skills, just with different (and often overlapping) uses.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 pm

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:45 pm

navyik wrote:Search is investigation, right?

Night vision goggles do not appear on the gear list but there is this in descriptions:

Wide Spectrum Goggles. These goggles allow the wear-er to see in total darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, and everything you see is rendered in shades of green, yellow, or blue (your choice).  

Assuming tech level 2 since they have been around a long time?

Agree with @Chris interpretation on search/investigate. Id say its contextual. 

Geek Notes: IR Night vision in 03 was starting to get decent. ANPVS 7 was the newest gen we had at the time, and my unit didn't have enough for everyone, so I started out with PVS 5s, which I swear screwed up my vision for life - barely focused blobs of  barely variable shades of green, heavy and were a bitch to wear. The PVS y was new and best, and the 7 is still widely in use today. The 7s were decently functional, I hear the 14s are very nice. Both used in conjunction with IR aiming lasers on weapons and IR flood lights on vehicles. That kind of capability against peasant insurgents is a serious overmatch. Not certain if we had Thermal capability that was wearable at the time, but that was common on vehicle sights and drones, bigger optics packages. 

So after that alphabet soup , The description of the WSG works great for this time frame. yes, call it TL2 for 2003.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:02 pm

I love getting REAL answers, not just gaming-book answers. HOORAH
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:19 pm

Chris wrote:HOLY SHIT!  that is awesome, Matt.  solid work there, I am really impressed.  this could take gaming to a new level of movie-style immersion.  

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking to do, and I'm excited to be able to develop the concept with you guys. Some ideas I am working with.

1) Making you all an in-game figure, which we will use on the maps and for art shots. A dossier video, using the template Chris provided and the theme tracks. Wont have these at start but am working the models now. 

2) I can track the battle by moving the figures a round manually at this point. I can give a screenshot from any point on the map to show any character or NPC perspective. True LOS. 

3) Eventually Ill be able to automate an entire scene based on the results of an encounter and film it, i think round by round or retroactively with a detailed description. As it stands now, I can maybe "kind of" do that, but can definitely stop motion manual position them from round to round. Its going to take a while to develop the tools and work flow, and Ill be introducing new levels of capability as we go. Ill have the drone interface locked down again in another week or so. Gonna go NUTS then! 

Some other things:

a) Stoked to be able to play fun games with my brothers and collaborate on creative projects. There is no other group of people I like to explore these ideas with more, and respect and appreciate your contributions. You guys inspire me to develop this stuff and  gaming with y'all is some of the most fun I've had consistently throughout life. Ive got some ambitions and ideas Im pursuing but ultimately I just really want to share cool games with my brothers. I dunno, also, all I really care about these days is daydreaming stories and games, so maybe I should try to get some income from it, lol! So -

b) Im working up an application and portfolio to swing for a job at Bohemia, who makes ARMA 3. Ive got professional history with them and their systems, but I want to present an overwhelmingly strong submission. So I'm writing out a proposal about how to use the ARMA 3 system as a digital tabletop game support suite. Because I firmly believe they've got the 3d environment that current platforms like roll 20 and Fantasy grounds cant deliver. If they added more specfic tabletop game support to the A3 system, it'd be the worlds most powerful multi genre game support platform. Because its already very well built for building Video games levels and sandbox experiences, too, it will expand that capability for the existing products as well. They've got 80% of an incredibly powerful system already in place and don't know it. So, like I did with making USMC simulations function like controllable real world environments, Im going to show them how to apply what they've built to tabletop gaming. The worst they can say is "no" and not hire me. In which case maybe I throw a full proposal at them as a customer, bid them for labor to build my system and then kickstarter that bitch to fund it. Best case, I get hired and work from home here in the states or get to go live in Prague. They are looking for both. 

c) Another approach Im thinking is to produce modules and adventures as complete media package downloads. A written pdf with supporting art files, maps, and videos, top to bottom - maybe a good choice for Patreon. Nothing really stopping me from that, I don't think. The big weakness is that there is little to no fantasy genre support for the system. Modern and SciFi is heavily resourced. A small amount of historical content but not much. But I can also explore other systems to use for content creation. As it is I can do some great modern/sci-fi modules to get rolling. A variant of this is offering to build these "hero videos" for others. If they can provide a solid description, I can produce some exceptional custom game products. Nailing an efficient method and workflow to synch product prices with labor time would be key here - knowing how long it takes to produce an "X" (map, mission video, encounter video, etc). Deep rabbit hole. 

d) Id be thrilled and very interested in any and all feedback you guys have from a player's or GMs perspective as we go. Constructive criticism from your experienced perspectives is gold. And go wild - tell me the exact nature of the vision/capability you are looking for and Ill try to match it.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:32 pm

I encourage you to give it a swing, go for it!

I think you have a solid idea that isn't available on the current market, but might generate interest. I am just barely "seeing" what you have in mind with the intro clip. I would guess other people can't see it yet either, since it doesn't exist in our minds. Like the natives that couldn't see Columbus' sailing boat, at least as the story goes.

I will probably hold any other feedback until I actually see more of the idea. I would think, ideally, you would want a demo to show Bohemia. I am guessing that our GIJOE game is that demo. Besides your professional history with the USMC, that would show how you apply your knowledge of their product to do something new with it.

Short of Bohemia hiring you, I definitely think you could "make it happen" via kickstarter, patreon, etc. Fantasy might be tough, since that would require not only new models, but creatures, spells, etc. None of which are supported currently. What about Star Wars? Or even Star Trek, Expanse, etc

EA lost their exclusive license on SW video games within the last 30 days. That means other companies can get into the SW cash grab. Yes SW would need lightsabers and a few monsters, but its mostly squad or PvP combat too.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/671387-lucasfilm-games-ea-lost-star-wars-license
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:36 pm

another minor change to Docwagon - changed background Drifter to Outlander from D&D

lost 1 language, picked up a musical instrument, but mostly I did it for the following Outlander ability:

Wanderer

You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

I am also looking at Gecko and the D&D rules. I might juggling his stats down so he can pick up Athlete or Mobile feat at 1st. I really forgot about D&D ruleset when making these guys. Then I saw #cruncher master Alan's guys with D&D and went DUH!

? - would Dungeon Delver work with EIDs, landmines, etc? as "traps"
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:24 pm

Chris wrote:another minor change to Docwagon - changed background Drifter to Outlander from D&D

lost 1 language, picked up a musical instrument, but mostly I did it for the following Outlander ability:

Wanderer

You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

I am also looking at Gecko and the D&D rules.  I might juggling his stats down so he can pick up Athlete or Mobile feat at 1st.  I really forgot about D&D ruleset when making these guys.  Then I saw #cruncher master Alan's guys with D&D and went DUH!

? - would Dungeon Delver work with EIDs, landmines, etc?  as "traps"

lol, this is crunchmaster central! 

Yes to counting mines and IEDS as traps. 

Alan and Chris - Ill be looking over characters thoroughly tomorrow, do you have any loose questions? 

I think you have a solid idea that isn't available on the current market, but might generate interest. I am just barely "seeing" what you have in mind with the intro clip. I would guess other people can't see it yet either, since it doesn't exist in our minds. Like the natives that couldn't see Columbus' sailing boat, at least as the story goes.

I will probably hold any other feedback until I actually see more of the idea. I would think, ideally, you would want a demo to show Bohemia. I am guessing that our GIJOE game is that demo. Besides your professional history with the USMC, that would show how you apply your knowledge of their product to do something new with it.

Short of Bohemia hiring you, I definitely think you could "make it happen" via kickstarter, patreon, etc. Fantasy might be tough, since that would require not only new models, but creatures, spells, etc. None of which are supported currently. What about Star Wars? Or even Star Trek, Expanse, etc

EA lost their exclusive license on SW video games within the last 30 days. That means other companies can get into the SW cash grab. Yes SW would need lightsabers and a few monsters, but its mostly squad or PvP combat too.

Excellent. True Im still having some trouble falling articulating it, partially because Im still riffing and bringing in a lot of different angles. Im trying to get it out on paper and create products in an orderly fashion. I probably wont have a full example built because I want to get my application in within a few weeks, but Im certainly hoping to use some of the JOE work to showcase some ideas. Its really helping me think through things and is having direct impact on what Im writing. 

Appreciate that you are "holding off" - but feel free to throw anything out at any point. 

There are a good deal of basic zombies, aliens, and monsters available. I have predators and velociraptors and jedis, oh my. Fantasy requires new models but not a ton of change to existing capabilities in game. Expand melee and let me skin existing vehicles as creatures (AH64 Apache = Red Dragon. Plus you can get in and pilot the dragon!)  and I could limp it along fine for now. There are already AOE effects and lots of roleplay capability both native and in mods (add purple to the existing flamethrower animation, or make a smoke cloud red), its then a matter of building animation libraries for specifics. The biggest thing its missing, I think, is the ability to project a grid or hex onto the terrain, and then to regulate movement in a turn based, measured fashion. Some increased control of time and space. otherwise its all eyeballed movement. 

Man, you should see the expansive star wars mods for this system, stargate, Mass effect, halo, you name it. between the tabletop potential, and the ability on the video game side to setup persistent servers where you and your boys could have a private sandbox Star Wars MMORPG where you organize a liberation from empire forces from the ground up (cuz thats out there!)...its worth looking at. Ill load up some star wars stuff and do some shots for you. Problem Im having right now is I can only run so many models without trashing my framerate. My ram and processors are fine but my video card is barely keeping up. Gonna have to upgrade. 

I could get down on some clone wars fanfic with this stuff, or another that would be easy to do with current models is some generic cyberpunk/near future material. Ive also got wild west pretty decently covered. One interesting option would be procedural police/swat missions. There is a A LOT that can be done with this platform.  

Feel pretty solid we can launch by wednesday-thursday, Ill be posting a bunch of stuff tomorrow.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:29 am

MAS wrote:
    There are a good deal of basic zombies, aliens, and monsters available. I have predators and velociraptors and jedis, oh my. Fantasy requires new models but not a ton of change to existing capabilities in game. Expand melee and let me skin existing vehicles as creatures (AH64 Apache = Red Dragon. Plus you can get in and pilot the dragon!)  and I could limp it along fine for now. There are already AOE effects and lots of roleplay capability both native and in mods (add purple to the existing flamethrower animation, or make a smoke cloud red), its then a matter of building animation libraries for specifics. The biggest thing its missing, I think, is the ability to project a grid or hex onto the terrain, and then to regulate movement in a turn based, measured fashion. Some increased control of time and space. otherwise its all eyeballed movement. 

oh perfect, you can re-skin things. That's part of why I am holding off on other comments because I don't know what the system already has in place. It sounds a lot more like Minecraft, as you describe it.

as for movement without a grid... what about Warhammer? could you measure distance on the field? a grid of 5 ft squares\hexes or actually just moving 30ft is the same. the grid just helps our eyes see it better, but it isn't really necessary if the program can measure distances

speaking of Minecraft... Anthony is actually making money on Minecraft. He taught himself how to mod and make datapacks. He makes videos on Youtube of his work. He doesn't actually have enough views\followers for Youtube to monetize his account yet, yet. But his work gets reviewed by professional youtubers with millions of followers. He has been contacted directly by a German guy, who has like 6 million subscribers. He makes videos of playing datapacks as a review. He is the main German Minecraft content creator. But he isn't a programmer, he is just a showman. He pays Anthony to make data packs for him to showcase. Most of the datapacks get converted into 1 video. He pays Anthony about $60 usd for his work, which is less than 8 hours of something he already does for free. But his last project was for $250 and a week's worth of videos on this guy's channel.

my point being... maybe you could do something similar? there must be an Arma community out there. you could be a youtuber making videos of Arma or you could create content for other people to turn into videos. or some of both. just another idea of how to monetize this for you
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:21 pm

Chris wrote:
    MAS wrote:

oh perfect, you can re-skin things.  That's part of why I am holding off on other comments because I don't know what the system already has in place.  It sounds a lot more like Minecraft, as you describe it.

as for movement without a grid... what about Warhammer?  could you measure distance on the field?  a grid of 5 ft squares\hexes or actually just moving 30ft is the same.  the grid just helps our eyes see it better, but it isn't really necessary if the program can measure distances

speaking of Minecraft... Anthony is actually making money on Minecraft.  He taught himself how to mod and make datapacks.  He makes videos on Youtube of his work.   He doesn't actually have enough views\followers for Youtube to monetize his account yet, yet.  But his work gets reviewed by professional youtubers with millions of followers.  He has been contacted directly by a German guy, who has like 6 million subscribers.  He makes videos of playing datapacks as a review.  He is the main German Minecraft content creator.  But he isn't a programmer, he is just a showman.  He pays Anthony to make data packs for him to showcase.  Most of the datapacks get converted into 1 video.  He pays Anthony about $60 usd for his work, which is less than 8 hours of something he already does for free.  But his last project was for $250 and a week's worth of videos on this guy's channel.  

my point being... maybe you could do something similar?  there must be an Arma community out there.  you could be a youtuber making videos of Arma or you could create content for other people to turn into videos.  or some of both.  just another idea of how to monetize this for you

Ima answer this then get back to getting things setup! There is certainly an element minecraft modability. Its hard to describe. The game is intended as a FPS, but with mods and other applications it is soooo much more. 

Movement. The system already handles user defined points, areas, and ranges for different functions so i think the platform can do but hasn't been configured to do it. There is a distance measuring tool ( adrag and drop ruler) - but the workflow to use that would be arduous. Id have to manually measure everything! What I want is a visual hex I can count, or an automated field that highlights available moves - both actually. It will have to be able to be modifiable for conditions and types of moves (dash, difficult terrain, etc). There might be scripting options that could do that but its a level or two past my current skills. 

Too freakin cool about Anthony monetizing his minecraft content! I see a lot of potential there in that idea, not only with game support products but just to make videos. There is some amazing art being done. This guys channel is just sic. I could see doing similar Star Wars, WH40K, and other franchise style work. There is also ww2 mods and though itd take some serious attention to detail, I could do historical videos. Really starting to see this both a gaming platform and a movie making platform. 

This is a rough cut I threw together of footage from an AI battle. I just set everything up, gave basic orders, and flew around filming. 

Im going to focus on getting everything setup and posted the rest of the night.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:00 pm

yeah, that guy is awesome! good stuff, very compelling "story" in just a battle scene without any real dialogue.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:18 am

Chris wrote:yeah, that guy is awesome!  good stuff, very compelling "story" in just a battle scene without any real dialogue.

Close Combat used to produce some cool little scenes on its own as the AI did its thing, too. You just luck out and catch things or you dont. I missed recording it the other night, but a version I did of the bridge battle that included some tanks was so insane I was hooting out loud. A US Abrams charged right up into all those ruskie infantry and got nailed by a half dozen rpgs almost all at once. It blew, out one side came 2 crew members with m4s a blazing at the russians around them. The other side spilled burning fuel into the nearby woods. A russian tank came around the corner and gunned them down with the coaxial MG, then that tank got drilled by the newly arriving american tank. All in about 20 seconds. Who knows what other crazy stuff Ive missed with the cameras turned. 

Got a lot done today and tomorrow we launch for sure.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:15 am

Need to know who is notionally "team leader". You guys can be as democratic as you like, but somebody is in charge. Wrapping things up. 

One (team Leader):
    Two:
    Three:
    Four: DocWagon
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:24 am

Docwagon is built as team leader with Marshall class and heavy social skills.

Also, just FYI, I get my 2nd c-19 vaccine shot today. I might be fine, I might be sick for 48 hrs. just letting you know, if I am less active
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:16 pm

Chris wrote:Docwagon is built as team leader with Marshall class and heavy social skills.

Also, just FYI, I get my 2nd c-19 vaccine shot today.  I might be fine, I might be sick for 48 hrs.  just letting you know, if I am less active

Cool, we can slot him as Viper 1 with Alan's approval and I will fill in the others.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:27 pm

“Copy that, Viper 1”, Mime replies with practiced pleasantry. “Viper 3 out.”

Mime can be XO
    Bollywood is an asset on loan from another agency.

Last edited by navyik on Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:30 pm

Please join me in the "Road Rage" thread!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:27 pm

I admit that I am fairly ignorant on the politics here. I guess I will make a few statements and you can correct the ones that are false assumptions.

the village we are going to is not the one on the hill to the left, but is further down the road.

US military is not welcome by the taliban, they will shoot us on sight

we are not disguised and have no "cover story" for being here

we might be welcomed (or at least not killed on sight) by the local civilians, who also suffer under Taliban control
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:25 pm

Chris wrote:I admit that I am fairly ignorant on the politics here.  I guess I will make a few statements and you can correct the ones that are false assumptions.

the village we are going to is not the one on the hill to the left, but is further down the road.

US military is not welcome by the taliban, they will shoot us on sight

we are not disguised and have no "cover story" for being here

we might be welcomed (or at least not killed on sight) by the local civilians, who also suffer under Taliban control

Excellent questions. 

Correct, the Jirga council is at Bijar village _another few hours drive if lucky) and the village above you on the map is Karift. this is taking place on your drive to Bijar. 

Its very murky at this time. While they initially brought order to a lawless land, they quickly became tyrants. Taliban will almost certainly be a problem for any westerner, but Pashto Afghani are loyal to clan/tribe as primary allegiance, so depending on the situation you may still be able to negotiate and diplomacy may still work. The locals are heavily worked over by the Taliban, but not necessarily all Taliban fighters. American forces are new to the area, some villages may not even have a solid idea what is going on. Kind of a wild west, anything goes at this point. Taliban have ideological control and act as regional strongmen, villages still have old school tribal leadership but some have split loyalties (they are survivors, above all). 

An armed person does not automatically convey a threat, most men walk around with rifles. Armed westerners may be a different story. 

Pushtanwali is their fundamental social codem, thius quick summary is worth the read on its own merit but will also support role playing quite a bit. In my experience, arabic/Sw asian people in general really love to rules lawyer their religions and social structures. It all comes down to whatever someone can argue best upholds Psutanwalai or Islam or whatever their social ruleset is at any given time. Interesting example of this as mentioned in the wiki article linked, in regards to "asylum" = 
    notable example is that of Navy Petty Officer First Class Marcus Luttrell, the sole survivor of a US Navy SEAL team ambushed by Taliban fighters. Wounded, he evaded the enemy and was aided by members of the Sabray tribe who took him to their village. The tribal chief protected him, fending off attacking tribes until word was sent to nearby US forces.

In this situation - You can assume the Gunmen doing the roadblock are probably Taliban affiliated, but you cant assume that every Afghan you meet will ultimately side with Taliban interest over deeper rooted tribal looyaites, or the perception that the Taliban grip may be loosening as Western forces begin to flood the area. Or that somebody has a grudge against somebody and their whole village. Or any number of things. 

Hope that clears things up enough to make it navigable - but Its intended to be tense and uncertain. Again, Im not looking to create "Got ya" based on cultural (or any other) knowledge you don't personally have. 

You are welcome to be running some sort of disguise/cover story if you like. You probably wouldn't be running around in US camo fatigues and full combat gear. Think more along the lines of civilian outdoor clothes mixed with tac gear. OR, you guys can be WAY undercover if you like! Take a minute and discuss among yourselves.  

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 Downlo11

I tried not to drown you guys in details, and i'm trying to judge how much briefing is enough for a detailed feel without being overwhelming; This really helped me ID some things I could have expanded on from the get go, thanks!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:52 pm

That does help a lot and also directed me towards some self-study study

Could we be semi-disguised as UNAMA?  

In March 2002 the UN Council established the United Nations Assistance Mission for Afghanistan (UNAMA) to manage all UN humanitarian, relief, recovery and reconstruction activities.

Maybe the reason 4 guys have 2 trucks is that we have some legitimate humanitarian supplies bound for Bijar Village.    Food, medical supplies, water filters, etc could all be non-perishable and not too expensive to be carrying.  They might also be bartered as bribes\payments.

https://archive.globalpolicy.org/images/pdfs/sc1386.pdf

sounds like there are multi-national relief forces roving around and allowed (by the UN at least) to protect themselves as needed
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:32 pm

Chris wrote:That does help a lot and also directed me towards some self-study study

Could we be semi-disguised as UNAMA?  

In March 2002 the UN Council established the United Nations Assistance Mission for Afghanistan (UNAMA) to manage all UN humanitarian, relief, recovery and reconstruction activities.

Maybe the reason 4 guys have 2 trucks is that we have some legitimate humanitarian supplies bound for Bijar Village.    Food, medical supplies, water filters, etc could all be non-perishable and not too expensive to be carrying.  They might also be bartered as bribes\payments.

https://archive.globalpolicy.org/images/pdfs/sc1386.pdf

sounds like there are multi-national relief forces roving around and allowed (by the UN at least) to protect themselves as needed

Stellar work, my friend. "3. Authorizes the Member States participating in the International Security Assistance Force to take all necessary measures to fulfil its mandate".

ALL. Necessary. Measures.  

We will say this is a legit a UNAMA team and mission - the UN/DOD had the foresight to staff said teams with operators who double as aid workers. The US Army Special Forces mission isn't too far off the same vein. They can move into an area and instantly provide engineering and medical to the communities of indigenous fighters they train, bringing in sanitation, medicine, building infrastructure, etc. So if you are going to have teams of people wandering around someplace dangerous anyway, might as well make sure they can also defend themselves and be used as strategic assets too. Also explains the international nature of the team. Perfect.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 pm

THANKS!

applying gaming-theory to actual historical situations is both new and fun cheers

let's wait for Alan to chime in too, but otherwise, I am ready to proceed

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:50 pm

Good copy. Really fun exercise in imagination to blend game into history, glad you dig the vibe. 

Im going to try and make each era its own thing, and feel real. The White stripes track (7 Nation Army) was from '03...Im trying to keep soundtrack on the timeline. We'll see changes in gear, tactics and focus on events that actually took place from the real world over the years. With the JOE vs SERPENT battle woven into it, then finishing on a speculative future. 

Ya'all can post up or ask questions here at your leisure.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:00 pm

I like what you did in the demo with keeping only game content in the other thread and all chatter here

Docwagon is driving the lead truck.
    Gecko is in the 2nd truck

Alan can place his guys and decide driver of truck #2
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:14 pm

Chris wrote:I like what you did in the demo with keeping only game content in the other thread and all chatter here

Docwagon is driving the lead truck.
    Gecko is in the 2nd truck

Alan can place his guys and decide driver of truck #2

Will continue as such. Only gameplay in the gameplay thread!

Docwagon and Mime, Viper 1 & 3, "Odd team", Truck 1

Bollywood and Gecko, Viper 2 & 4, "Even team", Truck 2
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:25 pm

Bollywood can drive if Gecko doesn’t.  I planned on him as a driver until we get something heavy mounted on a truck.

My guys are lightly armored in keeping with the cover story. Bollywood wears a turban with Pakistani identifiers but no insignia. He is crass but friendly, speaking Urdu which reads similarly to broken Farsi to the locals. He makes fun of the group behind their backs to capitalize on anti-western sentiments.

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:13 pm

navyik wrote:Bollywood can drive if Gecko doesn’t.  I planned on him as a driver until we get something heavy mounted on a truck.

My guys are lightly armored in keeping with the cover story. Bollywood wears a turban with Pakistani identifiers but no insignia. He is crass but friendly, speaking Urdu which reads similarly to broken Farsi to the locals. He makes fun of the group behind their backs to capitalize on anti-western sentiments.

Noted, cool!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:41 am

1. Run the road block drawing fire towards civilians
    2. Charge the sentry with one truck and provide cover fire with the other. (Targeting any clear RPG weilders).
    3. Exit the trucks to keep them from getting shot up and take our chances trying to take the field.
    4. Send Bollywood at the sentry while Gecko rolls out to help take the field.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:50 am

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 20210212

Let me know if these are a decent starting point.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:20 pm

In my mind’s eye Bollywood is shorter and chubby, but it isn’t a big deal.

Is that Mime in the back?  Looks about right. He always looks stylish, his hair is died black but probably only uncovered at night.

Nice diverse crew.

this is "young" Bollywood before he let himself go Wink I don't have a chubby model or way to adjust height/width right now, or an albino model for mime, I Felt lucky I had a turban and an appropriate face, lol! I'm happy to continue tweaking the models as we go. also trying to keep the gear stripped down and close to period. We'll add and change as we go, more modern, more dialed in from mission to mission. 

Do you want me to let Mime's face show? I have white people faces but not Albino.

Trying to get close to what you are all saying, and give everyone their own look, within the constraints of the system. Options will increase as we go and I build capability. 

In some cases, the gear doesn't match exactly/and or I took some artistic liberty. Gecko doesn't carry a rifle of any sort, and the system does not list pistols as primaries so I slotted a little subgun in for the visual -no change to stats but a different skin. With Bollywood, he isn't carrying a full rifle sized blown grenade launcher but this is the best option for showing how he is armed. Tried to make Bollywood loaded down with gear/weapons. Tried to go with more of a police look for Mime, and since it struck me as French, he's rocking a suppressed shorty FAL. Doc has a Medical pack and I went for a rancher's look - which I thought deserved a classic american fighting rifle, a classic wood and steel M14. You'll see his sidearm in shots to come, its an integrally suppressed revolver looking thing. Gecko is in a jumpsuit and a slicked out rig to facilitate his parkour, carrying a CZ scorpion machine pistol. Ive tried to add lasers, flashlights, and weapon optics as described by your gear. Also trying to build some differentiation between the two emo black clad ninja characters

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 4 20210213

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:56 pm