Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

5 posters

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue60/112ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue0/0ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Empty Re: ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS

Post  MAS Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:25 pm

Will have updates finished tomorrow, glad you are enjoying the show! 

Got my fist Moderna jab on tuesday, been a bit bleh but otherwise fine. 

Really worth the 10 minutes to watch: 

Little Wolf: The Night Trail is a story of a young boy hoping not only to survive the terrors of the wild, but to prove his worth to his mentor and clan totem.

A hybrid of cgi and hand drawn illustration, Little Wolf: The Night Trail is an adrenaline-fueled romp into the dark corners of Native American monsters and lore.

Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue35/35ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue0/0ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:10 am

MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue60/112ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:31 pm

hell yes! Thats (part of) exactly what Im talking about! Im trying to g

Will finish the Updates tomorrow- was sidetracked by celebrating the Vernal Eqx today but also-
    Stumbled across this yesterday, and have been scrambling to make it happen (talking with agent and owner), which it looks like I should be able to sign for it next week. 

https://rockford.craigslist.org/off/d/rockford-2000-sq-ft-for-250-month/7293839897.html

WE HAVE A LAIR. Shits gonna get real!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue35/35ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:56 am

interesting, wow rent is so low in Rockford. too bad you can't just live there Wink
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:21 pm

lookie what I found, a relic of past Gen-cons

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Docwag10
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:23 pm

I may have to assign myself as on-site security Wink

The owner said he doesnt mind if I crash there sometimes, so Itll work out well. Robs gonna sub out a bit of the space from me (owner also said it was cool to sub! He just wants it full). A lot of monetization possibilities. been looking hard at the online classes and GMing thing, and I think there is untapped potential there. Overall, media and content generation is going to be the focus. Looking at a few different angles = table tops games, fishing/outdoors, and emergency preparedness for families and small biz. 

That Docwagon card is awesome!!!! No joke, I could see that becoming a legit thing. Remember when all those hollywood mansions were burning down a few years ago? Concierge evac/ems/security will become a thing. 

Wish I could find my Miskatonic U ID card...bought so much underage booze with that thing!

Really hoping to finish the update today. We'll just keep limping this along, lol!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:41 pm

yeah, I kinda figured that was the plan with the office. My concepts of home and office are so freakin blurred right now....

Concierge medical is already a real thing here and in Aspen, etc. I could totally see a privatized version of local S&R teams. That seems like the chat from last summer about tracking down missing persons as a private outfit. We do know a heli-biker pilot here in Steamboat Wink

I really like the point about "nerdy" teens getting the chance to meet other kids like them online. That is so much more valuable than the actual bells and whistles of the gaming itself. Making a safe and welcoming space for kids that don't feel safe or welcome to be themselves is priceless to parents.

I feel like that is certainly part of the appeal with teaching martial arts to kids. It gives them a club to belong to that builds self-confidence. If they get nothing else from the experience, that has value.

I was thinking about it too, of course! It would be a neat experience to add a little bit of theatrics to the performance of NPCs. More than just different voices - use costumes, masks and different virtual backgrounds for each scene. Play music - like a bard playing in a tavern, epic instrumentals for combat, etc

I used to play the SW sound track when I gm'd SW games, it really set the mood.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:51 pm

Chris wrote:

I really like the point about "nerdy" teens getting the chance to meet other kids like them online.  That is so much more valuable than the actual bells and whistles of the gaming itself.  Making a safe and welcoming space for kids that don't feel safe or welcome to be themselves is priceless to parents.  

I feel like that is certainly part of the appeal with teaching martial arts to kids.  It gives them a club to belong to that builds self-confidence.  If they get nothing else from the experience, that has value.  

I was thinking about it too, of course!  It would be a neat experience to add a little bit of theatrics to the performance of NPCs.  More than just different voices - use costumes, masks and different virtual backgrounds for each scene.  Play music - like a bard playing in a tavern, epic instrumentals for combat, etc

I used to play the SW sound track when I gm'd SW games, it really set the mood.  

Agreed! What I see is this. DnD is a social activity/hobby like anything else kids involved in, and that parents pay for - baseball, martial arts, baseball, theatre, etc. So maybe they'll pay $60 (or what have you) a month for a weekly Dnd game with some next level FX and as you said (most important) a positive and safe environment for all. 

Love the costume integration idea, and the music is a must have. What ive been bothering Rob with for a few years now is an immersive "box" concept. Id love to have a flat tv game table, and cover the walls with TVs or maybe use projectors for environmental control. Easy to run small lightboard and a fog machine or two. Sound changer for voices and FX board for sound. Its a low rent version of the Jon Favreau soundstage. If the party is in the woods at night, they should be in the woods at night! Campfire burning on the digital table, video clips of nighttime forest on the walls, evil; mist creeps in, black light wash, cue Zombie video clips!!! Table resolves to battle map. The wizard's fireball spells lights up the room with another video clip and roaring sound FX. You add costumes to that and Wowza! 

So we figure we start with one Campaign book (Probably straud) and develop the support package. Then try to recruit/advertise to fill seats, one 6 seat youth game and 1 6 seat adult game. Next step is to do the same with Starfinder or maybe Star Wars rpg.

Wanna play Axis and Allies while Band Of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan play on the walls? Magic card game tournament in space? 

Want to be able to support stuff like Warhammer 40K and we are talking about developing a board game and terrain library for onsite use. I'll get a 3D printer in there ASAP and thats its own whole ball of wax. 

I intend to set everything up for streaming /recording. Including the Kitchen. Cooking shows and classes! 

This doesn't even get into using said space for Music or theatre performances. It will be a multipurpose media studio and content creation platform. Ill have an office for myself and a small lockable private living space. Will put the rest to work!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:38 pm

huzzah and a half!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue68/68ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:22 pm

Sounds like a job for a lighting designer...

Could start small with LED strips around the room for ambient light and a few specials. There are some inexpensive projectors out there now.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:37 pm

navyik wrote:Sounds like a job for a lighting designer...

Could start small with LED strips around the room for ambient light and a few specials. There are some inexpensive projectors out there now.

Brother @Alan you know it, I was already hoping to rope you in, lol! 

Want to get you in there to take a look asap after it is secured. Would love to have your input on space and system design (among other things). Ideally, we'll design a system that is mobile/deployable. 

The going thought so far is that the idea would work best with a "FXM" working in parallel with a GM (house or customer), an environmental DJ that compliments the traditional GM's duties by operating the tech. During session 0 and as the characters advance, they can select custom voice/sound fx/visuals/theme music to compliment their PC. There will of course be a generic pool for use on the fly/casually, but that's part of what we bring = Customized immersive experiences. Encourage costumes. Invite your friends/family to watch live or catch it later: All of the games are live streamed and archived on our (monetized) youtube channel.

Making a ruckus like this and turing out gameplay content will make people interested in taking classes/getting into online games from us. Ideally we will develop the online capabilities in parallel with in-person play. I'd like to get a "showcase" team together of experienced players and maybe even interface with some local actors, once the project hits minimal viable specs.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:13 am

Update video posted, Range/Cover matrix pending.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:29 pm

MAS wrote:Update video posted, Range/Cover matrix pending.

fuck yeah!

you are definitely getting better at telling the story of the combat round. that was easier to follow, as you went narratively from one character to the next. I loved the target reticules and I even heard the woman laughing. a female joker??
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:41 pm

@Alan

primary threat is that RPG in the woods #12
    secondary threat is cluster of #5,6,7 with good cover behind the armored wreck

I was thinking of sending Gecko towards 12 and let Bollywood and Mime deal with the cluster. But I am open to suggestions. Doc is isolated and slow, but he has a long range rifle and can give his action to others, as needed. Let me know if you need a boost to accomplish something.

@Matt

I don't see how much damage Gecko took in that hit. Are you tracking that or do we?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue68/68ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:12 pm

Chris wrote:@Alan

primary threat is that RPG in the woods #12
    secondary threat is cluster of #5,6,7 with good cover behind the armored wreck

I was thinking of sending Gecko towards 12 and let Bollywood and Mime deal with the cluster.  But I am open to suggestions.  Doc is isolated and slow, but he has a long range rifle and can give his action to others, as needed.  Let me know if you need a boost to accomplish something.

@Matt

I don't see how much damage Gecko took in that hit.  Are you tracking that or do we?

My guys can’t see the RPG. They can push the pinch on 5,6,&7.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:21 pm

navyik wrote:
    My guys can’t see the RPG. They can push the pinch on 5,6,&7.

fair enough, sounds good
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:45 pm

Chris wrote:
    @Matt

I don't see how much damage Gecko took in that hit.  Are you tracking that or do we?

We should both be tracking ideally, the full info including dmg type is listed on the rundown below, last entry for Red. You'll want to read the full report every round, as I cant jam everything into the video and maintain my artistic integrity....ROFL!

Glad its coming across! Trying to capture a comic book/cartoon feel on the videos. The smoke has been the challenge. I was trying to use in-game smoke and that had to be done live, and it wasn't cooperating. The reticles, smoke, and RPG hit are just powerpoint shapes inserted over jpgs. The video is being made on an obsolete old copy of Windows Movie Maker. This is bare minimum and Im really excited about developing it further! 

Dropped the application for the office space today, hope for confirmation and move in by APR1. Check out the layout sketch included.

Have two offices rented out already, hoping to secure a 3rd tonight on another call. Rob, this other acquaintance of ours who already does paid GMIng named Jason, speaking with Bronson tonight. 

@Alan - think about if you might want some space. Im probably gonna sub one of offices down into 4-6 personal desk workspaces. You want a man cave/hobby space less than 5 minutes from home, I got ya. You've always got hangout privileges, of course! 

As for the laughter, I guess we'll see affraid

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Slide218
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Pamela10
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 pm

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 Team_v10
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:58 am

I see it under the enemy now, makes sense. I was just making sure that it wasn't a new mechanic like "you don't know when your luck runs out" kind of thing.

office space looks really cool!

what kind of paid GMing is Jason doing?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:28 pm

Chris wrote:I see it under the enemy now, makes sense.  I was just making sure that it wasn't a new mechanic like "you don't know when your luck runs out" kind of thing.

office space looks really cool!

what kind of paid GMing is Jason doing?

No worries, sorry if I made that unclear. I'll experiment with consolidating the information better moving forward. 

IIRC, Jason is using discord and Foundry VTT. I think he focuses more on OSR stuff Like Dungeon Crawl Classics, but is also into tabletop wargames. Hes pushing hard for 4x8 table to setup for wargames and WH4oK style action, which Im behind 100% 

Rob and I are talking about focusing some on board games and "events". Halloween zombie board games, Twilight Imperium/ Supremacy gamers that run all weekend, etc

Im looking at software platforms for online course delivery and presentations, thats a whole 'nother level. First big push is going to be getting furniture and tech infrastructure in place. Concurrently, we'll start delivering online games asap. Somewhere in there I gotta get my new LLC paperwork in and initiate all that bureaucratic crap. 

Our buddy Bronson is coming aboard with his 3D printer, so we are leaning hard into developing that capability. We can do POD, and produce a terrain and mini library for use exclusively onsite. Printers (regular and larger format) for maps and handouts. 

A lot of moving parts and Im trying to fight my usual tendency to overextend myself, but its off to a start.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:34 pm

that's really exciting!
    keep me posted on the progress and share websites or other digital marketing
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:10 pm

Chris wrote:that's really exciting!
    keep me posted on the progress and share websites or other digital marketing

Most certainly will! Just waiting for the green light to jump...

Really some interesting stuff coming out from Dias Ex machina Games (maker of U5). This Affinity material looks like it will have a lot of potential. 

Uggg.....the part I didnt want to admit to: I was just trying to load up the scenario and accidently overwrote it when I fat fingered the "save" button instead of "load" button. 
    Gotta rebuild it again. Will now utilize multiple save slots. I swear we'll get through this opening battle, lol!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:07 am

affraid doh!

its ok, no rush
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:56 am

Hey Guys -

Hope to have things re-rolling early this monday. Took the opportunity in starting over again to make a more capable build that now includes several thousand poses I can apply to the models. Did a few quick examples here. I'm pretty sure I can do pistols and other gear as primary grip now, so in future iterations I'll get much more detail oriented with gear. 

Couple ways we can move forward from here:

1) Continue as we have and finish the encounter.
    2) I can reduce the immersive level a bit to speed up playing out this encounter (we'll resolve things on an overhead map like we do traditionally, Ill resolve play as normal) and then do video to wrap the whole encounter. 

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 20210411
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 20210410

Have not heard back on the office, that's disappointing implication, but still in play till the whistle blows. A bunch of BS with my bank over a mistake they made in December, man this week has been frustrating. Hope you guys are doing well.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:04 pm

cool new poses!
    sorry to hear about the office space, hopefully it works out. if not, "I am sure another opportunity will present itself" to quote the master Wink

I am fine either way. I am enjoying the movies for each turn but if you want to tone it down a bit, that's fine too.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:40 pm

Im cool proceeding as we have, just want to make sure yall werent getting too itchy.

Yeah now Ive got the ideas just gotta find the space. We'll get there! Meantime Ill drive on developing online stuff

Ran a test to make sure I could transmit a live ARMA window through google meet the other day, and it work just fine. For the paid game/s, what I want to do is offer that as a live 3D tabletop. I can only do mil/cyberpunk/post apocalypse/zombies for now but that's enough to start.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:29 pm

Hey Guys, checking in. Its been a rough week or so, and Im struggling to be honest. Didn't get the office, had some bank and insurance friction, just seems like nothing ever works anymore, for a long time now. I'm having trouble putting effort into anything because frankly I've lost faith that it will generate any results. 

I do intend pick this back up as soon as I can manage, Im enjoying it (probably more than anything else, these days) and you guys are rocking things so far.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:59 pm

I am sorry to hear about the Roadblocks. Sometimes the dice come up 7s and sometimes Snake Eyes. I am enjoying the game as well. You are definitely Rock'n'roll-ing it as a GM and with the ARMA movies. Don't let a little major Blood distract you or Destro(y) your progress on this idea. This concept is a Grand Slam and using ARMA was Clutch to my actually seeing it.

There is no need for Rapid Fire posts from you. I might Grunt about it, but don't let that make you feel like you are in the Hotseat to post anything. Blast-off again whenever you are ready.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:54 pm

Chris wrote:I am sorry to hear about the Roadblocks.  Sometimes the dice come up 7s and sometimes Snake Eyes.    I am enjoying the game as well.  You are definitely Rock'n'roll-ing it as a GM and with the ARMA movies.  Don't let a little major Blood distract you or Destro(y) your progress on this idea.  This concept is a Grand Slam and using ARMA was Clutch to my actually seeing it.  

There is no need for Rapid Fire posts from you.  I might Grunt about it, but don't let that make you feel like you are in the Hotseat to post anything.  Blast-off again whenever you are ready.  

Lol, thanks for the laugh my friend! Its funny you brought up the dice, because that's what is felt like, bad dice. Like I'm rolling at disadvantage and missing checks I would have crushed years ago. maybe I've wandered into a higher level zone than Im specced for, maybe this is the Xp penalty for multiclassing again, I dunno know.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:35 pm

MAS wrote:
    Lol, thanks for the laugh my friend! Its funny you brought up the dice, because that's what is felt like, bad dice. Like I'm rolling at disadvantage and missing checks I would have crushed years ago. maybe I've wandered into a higher level zone than Im specced for, maybe this is the Xp penalty for multiclassing again, I dunno know.

Dice can go hot or cold for sure.  It could just be that.

You mentioned wandering into a higher level zone, which got me thinking....  

You are in the process of setting up something new.  You and the others are envisioning a collaborative and shared virtual entertainment enterprise.  The commercial applications are only just beginning to be imagined in your collective minds.  You told me about multiple different ideas.  Each one offering a product that is (1) viable  with current tech and budget (2) in demand and trending  (3) profitable.  

As far as I know, none of you have setup something like this in the past.  Your Badger Tenkara being the closest project in terms of scale that I know of.  I don't know the detailed history of that company, but I would suspect that building it took years and a lot of effort.  There must have been some bad dice during that time.  I know that it was overall successful for many years, so there also must have been good dice AND hard work to improve the modifiers.  

Don't let one setback discourage your dream.

Perhaps the office space was not the right fit for you.  The financial difficulties might have just been forcing you to be patient and wait for the right opportunity to present itself.  

Maybe they are like Paradox from Mage - a backlash against the manifestation of your vision in space\time.  

Or maybe it was just bad dice.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:37 am

I know all about bad dice. You can usually roll again next turn.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:51 pm

Definitely expect a long and arduous journey to any success, appreciate the encouragement on the project. 

Its hard to tell, we never really know the bullets we may have ducked when something doesn't play out like we hoped. Just feels like its been a really long time since anything at all broke my way (or the way I was trying to break it, most accurately). I'm trying to push through it, stay focused on creating a new scene, but there's been a lot of tough days for a long time now. In any case, I've not given up yet. 

@Alan: I certainly feel like a chump bitching about hard luck in front of you. Always admired and respected the way you kept your head and bearing through it all.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:34 pm

MAS wrote:Definitely expect a long and arduous journey to any success, appreciate the encouragement on the project. 

Its hard to tell, we never really know the bullets we may have ducked when something doesn't play out like we hoped. Just feels like its been a really long time since anything at all broke my way (or the way I was trying to break it, most accurately). I'm trying to push through it, stay focused on creating a new scene, but there's been a lot of tough days for a long time now. In any case, I've not given up yet. 

@Alan: I certainly feel like a chump bitching about hard luck in front of you. Always admired and respected the way you kept your head and bearing through it all.

I don’t think you should hesitate to express yourself just because I had a more overtly obvious setback. But hopefully The Courts will provide you with a willing investor this year...
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:48 pm

navyik wrote:
    MAS wrote:Definitely expect a long and arduous journey to any success, appreciate the encouragement on the project. 

I don’t think you should hesitate to express yourself just because I had a more overtly obvious setback. But hopefully The Courts will provide you with a willing investor this year...

Would be sweet to see you get some definitive justice! I'll get my pitch ready Wink

Do you have another date, or are we just in waiting mode again?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:12 pm

Pending decision.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:24 am

navyik wrote:Pending decision.

bounce
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:35 pm

Chris wrote:
    navyik wrote:Pending decision.

bounce

No doubt, get your shit together IL!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:18 am

I don’t know whether they will publish a police accountability decision during the most high profile police murder trial in US history...
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:47 pm

navyik wrote:I don’t know whether they will publish a police accountability decision during the most high profile police murder trial in US history...

Solid point; Im still gonna hope for a speedy and just response. 

Have got the scenario rebuilt to where it was, and am processing the latest moves. Want to conclude this combat encounter by end of this week, as I am travelling starting the 20th to go pick up what's left of my stuff in Cedaredge. 

We'll have some wrap up, but then will move on to the Jirga Council for negotiations.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:37 am

ok, sounds good!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:11 pm

Update is live!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:27 pm

Update is live!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:22 pm

Awesome! Only one critique. I have to keep pausing it because it plays too fast.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:08 pm

navyik wrote:Awesome!  Only one critique. I have to keep pausing it because it plays too fast.

Noted - appreciate the feedback! Will stretch out the dialogue times. Are the fonts and colors clear, otherwise?
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:41 am

MAS wrote:
    navyik wrote:Awesome!  Only one critique. I have to keep pausing it because it plays too fast.

Noted - appreciate the feedback! Will stretch out the dialogue times. Are the fonts and colors clear, otherwise?

Everything is legible, I just need a few more seconds of processing time.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:47 am

Got it, will fix.

I'm really happy with what we learned and created with this test. When the encounter closes, I'm going to go back and do a full, new cut from all the videos and pics, into one summary. Clean it all up, fix the pacing, continuity/formatting consistency, etc. I've already built and filmed ahead into the next encounter as well. 

Some Misc:

1) I really dig the "simultaneous declarations" for forum play and hope to see that carry over into our "main table" games. 

2) Would be interested to hear if you felt restricted or hamstrung by the lack of a grid? Did you feel you had sufficient situational awareness, freedom of action? Did it throw you any curveballs, or force any sort of adaptation or work around to be needed? Were the action declarations sufficiently illustrated, presented with sufficient accuracy to your intent?  Get picky. What did you like, what would you see improved? besides the Gm's time management, that's a known issue Wink 

3) Tactically, you guys did a great job! You Split into sectors of fire/movement, prioritized targets intelligently (address close threats and then the most dangerous enemy weapon systems first), used cover and concealment/smoke ala the textbook. Knowing that Gecko was moving aggressively into melee as per his character build (which was slick and effective in-game, speed and aggression pinned down that whole flank's attention, and gonna make some killer footage when i get the knife poses nailed!) vs a real life situation: The single change I'd suggest in real life to improve that already excellent attack would be to keep the entire element roughly "online" with each other.  Letting a team member get that far ahead of your advancing line puts that person increasingly into the backdrop of your forward firing arcs (risking friendly fire), and could make recovery/first aid difficult - they can easily get cut off, even snatched if they are out of sight. Overall, very solid small team tactics. Keep it up!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:39 pm

1) I like simultaneous declaration\resolution for this type of game - no grid, using the ARMA movies, etc.   It makes for a faster and more cinematic play. It also feels less like an RPG with specific sequencing and all the benefits that usually come from that.

2)  Determining distance on the map was and is an issue for me.  You made a good adjustment with adding the distances in that chart.  But that must be a lot more work for the GM than just using tokens on a grid.  Also, the chart with distances only works for that moment, distances are still a bit of an unknown if I decide to move somewhere first, then take an action.  For that matter, knowing how far I can move is an issue - ie, can I make it to X location?  

That leads to even more posts with If\Then type situations.  Maybe that is more reflective of real life?  I don't know if I can make it to the back of the next truck before I get shot.  But, this is a game, first and foremost.  The function of all the standardized rules is that it makes things as transparent and as easy to use as possible, for both GM and player.  

For me, I have to open like 3 windows to figure out my turn.  1 for the map (clipping due to size), 1 for the distance chart, 1 to type and go back and forth between them to figure out what each PC can do.  That seems like more work than just using a map with a grid.  Maybe this is just an "old dog vs new trick" mentality on my part.  

I realize grid maps and ARMA don't play nicely with each other.  I DO really like seeing the narrative combat round played out, that is such a new and unique feel.  I am FEELING IT!

3) thanks for the tactical feedback, I appreciate it.  Gecko certainly went hero mode, which is probably not the safest strategy IRL.  But again, I know its a game and he has plot armor Wink

I was pleased with the mechanics of U5.  I really like the system and the range adjustments you made, which seem to make sense and work well.  

4)  suggestions for next combat:
    if we are going to stick with ARMA as a our map, I would still love a distance key, like on a map, with  
    0-----30ft-----60ft----90ft----120ft
    or something on the bottom of the map, just to give a eyeball for scale of movement and distance

or

set up scenario in ARMA, drop a grid over the map for distance\movement declarations
    use ARMA for narrative of each round
    admittedly, this seems like a LOT more work for the GM

or

set up scenario in ARMA, convert to a combat grid for turn by turn rounds
    just make an ARMA movie at the end
    easier, but not as immersive  

I would really like to see what a map with Fog of War elements would look like in ARMA.  This was a nice open field in full daylight.  I think the ARMA movie each round could be really engaging when you don't know enemy positions.  Lots of surprises!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:47 am

Excellent feedback, much appreciated! Just a nugget while I work my larger reply:

A) Night time/fog of war through dynamic lighting. I can place lighting, and adjust its intensity, color, range etc - anywhere. I can do it as a "sphere of effect" in an area of attach it to a held item like a torch or flashlight, car headlights, flood light, glow stick, etc. Basic example of Day/Night in a graveyard, and some shots I did for Rob's writing a while ago, just for a taste.There are systemic options for this too, I can set the values for object appearance distances, or whether something is visible at all, overall light conditions/time of day, and some weather control too! 

PS: so far Ive only been showcasing outdoor locations, but most if not all of the buildings are enterable, and ive scored a bunch of caves/bunkers; We will definitely be moving into QCB. 

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 20210313
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 20210312

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 20210314
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 20210315

Night vision (green) and Thermals (White hot) 

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 20210413
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 6 20210412
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:07 pm

whoa, yeah those are way cool!
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:48 pm

Love the system. Love your improvements. One critical observation of the simultaneous declarations.

We’re not really declaring simultaneously. Whom ever declares last has insight into others’ decisions. So there’s a Metagaming tactical element that is created. In U5 it’s easy to presume that a tactical team has com tech that allows us to discuss our decisions in real time teamwork. You may want a special mechanic that accounts for equipment failures.

In a fantasy, we can’t as easily justify as much meta knowledge of others’ decisions. If we declare by initiative (best goes last like battle tech) then we’re still waiting on others before we post. So I think we need a forum structure that allows for separate secret declarations that only the DM can see.

I personally don’t mind meta gaming that much but we have at least one regular player that hates it. Role playing as being without meta knowledge is a partial fix for this. So before we apply this very appropriate forum gaming speed improvement to all games we should have that conversation.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:06 pm