Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com/

Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/

5 posters

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS

navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Empty Re: ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS

Post  navyik Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:59 pm

Okay, might not play a gunslinger. Going with Techie/ Heavy multi class. Heavy weapons guy. I won’t try to take Rob’s engineer/demo role, (though I can assist). I just really like the tech points system.

I have too many ideas. 😳
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:37 am

navyik wrote:Okay, might not play a gunslinger. Going with Techie/ Heavy multi class.  Heavy weapons guy. I won’t try to take Rob’s engineer/demo role, (though I can assist). I just really like the tech points system.

I have too many ideas. 😳

Mortars, AT weapons, AA weapons, Heavy MG, Grenade Launchers, etc. NICE! 

Good news! Make as many characters as you like. You can switch out between adventures, based on "who the team wants to take on this mission" .
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue60/112ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (60/112)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:49 am

Chris wrote:I love it!

picking up your riff.....    The entire Trump presidency was a destabilization OP staged, funded and planned by Cobra.  Cobra interfered in the 2016 election and laid fake breadcrumbs pinning the blame on Russia.  

Zartan was a master of disguise, so he could have even sat in office as Trump.  His only goal was to create chaos and stir the pot.  That's why nothing made sense and his speeches were so weird.  It also explains the obviously terrible fake hair and orange skin.  

I could see Zartan's Renegades (those Aussie blokes) as the MAGA mob.  They were a bunch of rowdies that loved wanton violence and mayhem.  At least as phase 1, then your CG show up in phase 2.  MAGA hats are solid red for a reason, to mark friendly operatives in the field.  

caveat - if the cobra LA LA LAs show up with mutant bio-tech, I am out Evil or Very Mad

Ok, confession time....  I had a SERIOUS crush on Baroness as a kid.  meeeoooow!

Hell yeah we are on the same wavelength, that's exactly where I was going. Because it also plays as plot device for Putin, Boris Johnson, XI, etc. - any turmoil can ultimately be traced back to a Cobra plan! 

Dig the Zartan/Renegades integration! Intend to use the "Old" Joes as history and archetypal Cobra villains as contemporary, but the Serpentor stuff did not occur. Interestingly, genetic super soldier programs are actually a thing in real life 2021. The Serpentor plan involved Corba using DNA samples from all of history's greatest conquerors. is that really too far fetched these days? The mutant/dr moreau's island hybrid serpent people got wonky and is more fantasy than Im intending here, so I don't foresee leaning too hard in that direction. 

Yeah Man, +1 on the Baroness. And it wouldn't be unrealistic to blame my whole obsession with red heads on Scarlett, lol!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:06 pm

navyik wrote:Okay, might not play a gunslinger. Going with Techie/ Heavy multi class.  Heavy weapons guy. I won’t try to take Rob’s engineer/demo role, (though I can assist). I just really like the tech points system.

I have too many ideas. 😳

I really like the Tech point system too. I was thinking of a techie\rigger\sniper - he uses drones or robots for close contact and scouting while sitting back with a looooong ranged rifle of some type.

since we are going with the GI JOE theme..... we need CODE NAMES!!

Susan Nightingale
    code name: Stitch
    medic\leader

ACe DeCroix (AC DC)
    code name: Haywire
    rigger\sniper

although, just to say it, to me GI JOE was always a combination of 3 things: soldiers, high tech and NINJAS!
    I might have to make a ninja too scratch
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue68/68ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (68/68)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:14 pm

Definitely making a ninja. Also a sneaky guy with a machine gun.

Matt, I can totally break this system multi classing. Do you want to test that, or limit to say max 3 classes? 5e D&D has a chart for what stacks and what doesn’t when multiclassing. Some get heavy armor and some don’t. Some get an extra skill or two. They usually get tools and weapons. Use best reasonable judgment?
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue35/35ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (35/35)
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:24 pm

navyik wrote:

Matt, I can totally break this system multi classing......... Use best reasonable judgment?

this is how I read your post lol!

Brick Rockman was a case study in system breaking mechanics study
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:39 pm

navyik wrote:Definitely making a ninja. Also a sneaky guy with a machine gun.

Matt, I can totally break this system multi classing. Do you want to test that, or limit to say max 3 classes?  5e D&D has a chart for what stacks and what doesn’t when multiclassing. Some get heavy armor and some don’t. Some get an extra skill or two. They usually get tools and weapons. Use best reasonable judgment?

DO IT! We'll see what results.

Is someone going to make a declaration for William, or are we going to roll with 2 players, or is someone going to add a 4th pregen? 

@ Chris - Ninjas and martial arts for sure! Care to poke around and see if there is anything interesting in 5e or old D20 to flesh out Martial Arts? 

CODE NAMES needed for sure!
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:23 pm

MAS wrote:
    Is someone going to make a declaration for William, or are we going to roll with 2 players, or is someone going to add a 4th pregen? 

@ Chris - Ninjas and martial arts for sure! Care to poke around and see if there is anything interesting in 5e or old D20 to flesh out Martial Arts? 

I declared for William to get the party started

I think most of 5e Monks will work for this setting. Open Hand is probably fine as is, same with Shadow. The more spell-oriented archetypes just need to be re-skinned into something else. The 5 elements spells could be tech gadgets or ancient alchemy. for example Burning Hands is a Mag-phosphate powder thrown in a 15ft cone. Radiant Sun monks could have some kind of laser beam gadget on their wrists.

I will also look for other 5e martial arts stuff too
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:23 pm

Chris wrote:
    MAS wrote:

I declared for William to get the party started

I think most of 5e Monks will work for this setting.  Open Hand is probably fine as is, same with Shadow.  The more spell-oriented archetypes just need to be re-skinned into something else.  The 5 elements spells could be tech gadgets or ancient alchemy.  for example Burning Hands is a Mag-phosphate powder thrown in a 15ft cone.  Radiant Sun monks could have some kind of laser beam gadget on their wrists.  

I will also look for other 5e martial arts stuff too

Sounds good, will resolve the turn by tomorrow AM
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:58 pm

I just ordered the U5 REDUX hardcover book from Drive Through Gaming. It was a bit pricey at about $70 but its like 400 pages in full color, printed to order, so I won't see it for a while, but it is a very well-done sourcebook that will be used for years.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:37 pm

Solid investment! Id like to get a hardcopy when circumstances permit, too. its a great compliment to 5E 

Same company has a 5e Cyberpunk splatbook for U5 called [url=https://thetrove.is/Books/Dungeons %26 Dragons [multi]/5th Edition %285e%29/3rd Party/DEM/NeuroSpasta.pdf]NeuroSpasta[/url] that has more advanced hacking/robots/cyberware/tech, its what we'll probably use to spike higher tech level stuff in with down the road. Worth looking over.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:46 pm

Multiclassing (preliminary impressions)

One primary ability score at least 13

Face weapons, light armor, disguise kit, 1 skill ground vehicles

Grounder light and medium armor, shields, small arms and heavy weapons, (not super heavy) ground vehicles

Gunslinger weapons, light and medium armor ground vehicles

Heavy weapons, light, medium and heavy armor ground vehicles

Infiltrator one skill, weapons, light armor one tool kit, ground vehicles

Marshall one skill, weapons, light armor, medium armor, ground vehicles

Martial Artist light armor and weapons

Medic one skill, light armor, weapons, poison kit, ground vehicles. Gains multi class exploits like paladin spells.

Sniper light armor, weapons, ground vehicles

Techie one skill, one hand small arms, light and medium armor , tinkers tools, ground vehicles.

If I multi class, I think each class has a separate archetype as a class feature. (One can be both an arcane trickster and an eldritch knight). If I choose the same archetype for more than one class, do they accumulate or do they stack?

The same question applies to ladders. Do I have one comprehensive ladder or a separate ladder for each class? Ladder includes ability score raises, so it either follows class levels, or ability score raises must be based on character level in this game. I would choose the latter, but 5E precedent seems to support the former, (which I have always thought was a mistake).

So I think one needs a ladder and an archetype for each class. The question is whether they compound or stack.

So for example:

If archetypes and ladders accumulate
    Infiltrator 3
    Techie 3
    Gunslinger 8
    Gun dancer 14
    Warrior 14

If archetypes and ladders follow class tables:
    Infiltrator 3 Country gunman 3 Survivor 3
    Techie 3 Field machinist 3 Savant 3
    Gunslinger 8 Gun dancer 8 Warrior 8

Separately I see that the ESP Maelstrom is the only ESP without a second auto-heavy die advancement. Based on the ESP description, I think this is an oversight/misprint and should have a d10/d12 alternative.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:26 pm

navyik wrote:Multiclassing (preliminary impressions)

One primary ability score at least 13

Face weapons, light armor, disguise kit, 1 skill  ground vehicles

Grounder light and medium armor, shields, small arms and heavy weapons, (not super heavy) ground vehicles

Gunslinger weapons, light and medium armor ground vehicles

Heavy  weapons,  light, medium and heavy armor ground vehicles

Infiltrator one skill, weapons, light armor one tool kit, ground vehicles

Marshall one skill, weapons, light armor, medium armor, ground vehicles

Martial Artist light armor and weapons

Medic one skill, light armor, weapons, poison kit, ground vehicles. Gains multi class exploits like paladin spells.

Sniper light armor, weapons, ground vehicles

Techie one skill, one hand small arms, light and medium armor , tinkers tools, ground vehicles.

If I multi class, I think each class has a separate archetype as a class feature. (One can be both an arcane trickster and an eldritch knight).  If I choose the same archetype for more than one class, do they accumulate or do they stack?

The same question applies to ladders. Do I have one comprehensive ladder or a separate ladder for each class?  Ladder includes ability score raises, so it either follows class levels, or ability score raises must be based on character level in this game. I would choose the latter, but 5E precedent seems to support the former, (which I have always thought was a mistake).

So I think one needs a ladder and an archetype for each class. The question is whether they compound or stack.

So for example:

If archetypes and ladders accumulate
    Infiltrator 3
    Techie 3
    Gunslinger 8
    Gun dancer 14
    Warrior 14

If archetypes and ladders follow class tables:
    Infiltrator 3 Country gunman 3 Survivor 3
    Techie 3 Field machinist 3 Savant 3
    Gunslinger 8 Gun dancer 8 Warrior 8

Separately I see that the ESP Maelstrom is the only ESP without a second auto-heavy die advancement. Based on the ESP description, I think this is an oversight/misprint and should have a d10/d12 alternative.

Intriguing. Let me focus on the running the game a bit, but Ill chew on the differences and we can explore this further. 

ESP Maelstrom maybe covered in errata, give it a google and Ill do the same

Another Splaybook from the very same company = APEX: Its a basically powers/magic system for supers and supernatural abilities. A lot of good stuff to explore, but Im trying to stay focused on this for now, lol! 

Resolving the round now.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:09 pm

Pup has a new bone to chew on, look out!

MAS wrote:
    Initiative order for round 2 places OPFOR actions first, and Targets 3 & 4 are both under overwatch from Susan & William, and begin moving. At this time, they can choose to burn their Round 2 reaction to force saves. I can then resolve the entire round, as all reaming actions follow.

OPFOR: 15
    Susan: 8
    William: 4
    Elliot: 4

I don't understand what you want from us here scratch
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:56 pm

Elliot has overwatch on 3. Not William. Right?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:36 pm

Chris wrote:Pup has a new bone to chew on, look out!

MAS wrote:
    Initiative order for round 2 places OPFOR actions first, and Targets 3 & 4 are both under overwatch from Susan & William, and begin moving. At this time, they can choose to burn their Round 2 reaction to force saves. I can then resolve the entire round, as all reaming actions follow.

OPFOR: 15
    Susan: 8
    William: 4
    Elliot: 4

I don't understand what you want from us here scratch

OVERWATCH: Until the beginning
    of your next turn, the area is considered difficult
    terrain to any enemy targets attempting to move
    through it. As a reaction, you can force an enemy that
    enters the area to make a Dexterity saving throw. A
    target takes your weapon damage on a failed save, or
    half as much damage on a successful one. You expend
    ammunition with each saving throw attempted.

Overwatch means that when the targets inside your overwatch move, you have the option to spend a reaction to force the save, as per the description. The targets moved,The conditions have been met, do you want to spend your round 2 reaction to inflict the save and possible damage or save your reaction for later in the round? You only get one per round. 

Yes, Elliot, not William. Two of the 3 have the area covered with Overwatch in any case
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:22 pm

yup, Susan uses her reaction
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:31 pm

We'll resume tomorrow/monday morning, gents
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:52 pm

I am not throwing a fuss or anything, but Readied Actions don't work very well if the initiative changes every round

Susan Readied an Action on top of Overwatch and she effectively didn't get to anything out of them.

Her initiative was 8 last round
    I just rolled a 19 for this round

so it seems like she won't get to use them?

with a standard initiative order, you are guaranteed a full Round to have access to Readied Actions and Reactions.  but she might lose both under the current situation

also - it seems like having to make more rolls in a system designed to streamline play drunken

also, also - I like the compact description of the round's action cheers
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:34 pm

Chris wrote:I am not throwing a fuss or anything, but Readied Actions don't work very well if the initiative changes every round

Susan Readied an Action on top of Overwatch and she effectively didn't get to anything out of them.

Her initiative was 8 last round
    I just rolled a 19 for this round

so it seems like she won't get to use them?

with a standard initiative order, you are guaranteed a full Round to have access to Readied Actions and Reactions.  but she might lose both under the current situation

also - it seems like having to make more rolls in a system designed to streamline play drunken

also, also - I like the compact description of the round's action cheers

No worries, lets discuss. I thought Readying an action was an interesting choice considering you have live targets. EI saw you just bumped that attack to occur as in interrupt before a target's next attack (if they beat you to the draw) instead of just trying to drop them before they can take another action. But I figured you had included that in your calculus when you made your declaration. Im not sure "ready action" will be very relevant for attacks under this format, excepting in opening rounds. 

My original intent was that "all actions resolve at once" and the initiative order is there to hash out any potential sequencing, so the lazy solution is that it essentially doesnt matter when it occurs in the round, because everything happens in 6 second chunks. In that case, you'd have gotten both a shot and an OVW off in this round and likely would have smoked both, which I acknowledge. This means that the possibility exists for same round mutual kill/death as declared effects in a round all occur regardless of whether the PC/creature making them survives the round. You can't unfire a bullet. Rather than retcon, lets move forward using this model. Leave the two targets on the board (im gonna have to add more after you drop this easy wave, anyway!) 

Philosophical argument: Though I guess that's the risk of waiting instead of acting? Just cuz you are ready doesn't mean that something is obligated to happen in that time frame, and if you go into a passive/responsive mode with live targets around, thats the risk. That's why HIGH initiative is is good and low initiative is bad. Sometimes you miss the window. Take the shots when you have them. I'd say that "new init every round" might fit as part of a "hardcore mode". You WANT high init and you want  it consistently! 

Im thinking the Endurance score is probably too high to add much depth at the weapon damage levels, but am gonna run with it for now. Will likely drop it in subsequent rounds for testing purposes. 

As far as "more rolls" - Its streamlining play overall, not the posts themselves, though standardization in post formats helps a lot. I dont think a half dozen rolls and some standardization is a big ask of players (certainly not in comparison to the GMs contribution) and If it speeds up play in an enjoyable way, its worth it IMO. In the end, its more rolls in a single post, but overall less posts & much more importantly, much less waiting time between them (assuming I get my shit together Wink). 

Dig hashing this stuff out with you guys. I needed this.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:17 am

I appreciate the thoughts and feedback!

1)  No retcons requested or expected - YO JOE, get up and go!

2) Susan's mind - Nobody had fired yet.  Susan was moving with stealth, but knows she just isn't very sneaky.  She is not a main gun anyways, so her shooting first didn't make much sense to her.  She also didn't know IF she had been seen or not yet.  She didn't want to expose her position with a muzzle flash and be the first target of a bunch other people possibly watching for a target.  

2.5) Chris' mind - I wanted to see what would happen bounce

3) Game mechanics - I can appreciate the "use or lose it" style of maybe missing a shot if you don't take it.  That is a new mechanic though, so it caught me off guard.  "Knowing is half the battle" as the JOEs say.

However, I still think the mechanics of OVW are a bit wonkier since they require a Reaction to use.

Sage Advise answered this issue for regular 5e
    https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-answers-august-2015

it was specifically mentioned that changing initiative would mess up spell durations, which is similar to setting OVW duration or a Readied Action

Honestly, sometimes you might want a low initiative.  For example, if Susan went at the end of 1 round, set OVW and a Readied Action, she might want a lower reaction in the next round.  

4) What if.... your initiative modifier could be a bonus or penalty to the roll?

ex:  let's say I have a 14 dex and +2 Initiative modifier.  I roll a 12.  I can choose to go at either 14 or 10, depending on what I did in the last round.  Most of the time, I suspect you are right in thinking that faster is better.  The saying wasn't "The Slow and the Living" after all.  Initiative is alike a window of opportunity to act, not a fixed constant.  You would have to state your choice when you post your initiative by applying the modifier right then, so as not to slow down the action.  

just a thought for the next playtest

I am fascinated with the flexible initiative idea, the more I think about it.  We have just been programmed for 30 years that everything in a combat round happens in exactly the same sequence every time, round after round, that this is making my brain think in new ways... which is always cool.  It also seems more realistic, if less practical for sitting around a table.  It would kinda suck to re-write the initiative order every round.  But it might be really fun too.... scratch
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:03 am

Agree with much of Matt’s philosophical argument and with making a few superfluous rolls in fewer posts. It’s the frequency of posting with limited gratification that slows the game and not a few extra button pushes to paste. Forum posts to add extra due rolls between actions are highly perfunctory.

I do think that these game mechanics can vastly improve forum games. I would not advise an alternative mechanism for declaring a reaction that is intended as an interruption. But if I lose the initiative I lose that gamble, which is realistic. What I might bring back is a voluntary hesitation in decision making. I hated removing “held” actions in 5e. It is my God given right to go last. I propose a starting point that may not at all be what we write in stone down the road.

Hesitate: This turn your character gives up half your movement and can only take a bonus action and a reaction. You automatically win the initiative next turn but still have to roll against anyone else who held their action. I know it is complicated but with total round posting and single post resolutions, I think it will be less cluttered than a slew of frustrated grumbles about readied actions. (Not that Chris was grumbling, I might.) 🤣

Don Jones always made us roll initiative every round and state our intentions first. Can I invite him?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:34 am

Was working on a reply for the last few hours but accidently deleted it and have to begin again, DOH. Great ideas and Im loving it. Please stand by
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:38 am

I can see the Devs' point about removing Delay though... imagine a spellcaster with 1 round durations on effects, if you could delay your turn, you would effectively be doubling their effective duration.

Also, if a GM played monsters intelligently, they could just delay after your delay. If everyone delayed, then the sequence of the entire turn would stay exactly the same, but it would just take a really long to get there, since everyone would have to declare a Delay... then actually take their turns.

I know you are suggesting something different with "hesitate" but I can see how any Delay is either game-breaking or completely ineffective.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:35 pm

I think the delay scenario you are envisioning is called a Mexican standoff. Not convenient for gaming but realistically plausible in real life.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:42 pm

Lots of great stuff here! 

I know its an extra roll and bookkeeping, but I really like the dynamic nature of "new init every round". I like the aspect of trying to stay on/control/slip around/overpower the battle's rhythm and tempo. As Chris stated, it opens up new angles and possibilities. A "Slow/last" round followed up by a "fast/First" round could deliver two rounds worth of effect on a target that just went from "fast/first" to "slow/last". Its a matter of judging your timing and positioning in relation to what you see developing in your targets and battlefield conditions. Depending on how PC and encounter initiative falls, A big gap caused by wonky rolls opposed by some tighter, more consistent initiative spacing could line up several characters 2nd round actions before the target has a chance to get theirs!  

@ Alan's "Hesitate": I like the idea (trade move/attack for next round priority) and see the utility, but also agree with Chris that the meta-gaming potential makes it a slippery slope. First round, everyone hesitates, and you end up in a roll-off when everyone has to sequence that next round anyway. I don't see anyway to stop that from happening, mechanically, without it having a cost worth considering. I'd say that you have to burn all movement, take no attack or move, and can only make/take reactions. Or maybe Half movement and an AC Penalty? Lose any cover bonus? Kinda like a "flat footed" thing? Thoughts? Maybe you can only do it once per combat? 

@ Chris's "Fast/Slow Initiative': I like the idea a lot. You can choose to buff or debuff your roll, trying to stay on the best possible rhythm, which will differ depending on who/what you are targeting. This adds an extra dimension to trying to manage the situation. 

Proposal: Future initiative rolls are either "Fast + or Slow -". We create consensus on "Hesitate" use/effects and then go with that. Continue with "new init every round". 

@Alan: Who is Don Jones? Generally I am unopposed to new participants as a whole but see below for additional thoughts.
    @Chris 1-2.5: Appreciate the insight on the "ready". I was really more curious about what I may have missed/what you had up your sleeve than anything! 
    @Chris 3: I didn't do a good job of "session zero" with this, so gaps and misunderstandings are on me for not laying things out better. Luckily you guys are pros and it doesn't slow us down too much. 

Not to dilute the current focus, but Id like to have a discussion about better managing a larger stable of participants. Here's an idea Im chewing on for the JOE Teams game after we get it rolling, but I think its also potentially applicable to other games. This "simultaneous resolution" looks like we can speed encounters up, I figure 2 weeks approx for most vs the 2-3 months it takes now. Realistically, one could run a solid episode/storyline in 2-3 months, with 3-4 combat encounters being realistic, and plenty of roleplay time, too. 

So say we have 9 participants. Break into 3 groups, each with a GM and two players (controlling 1-2 characters). Each team hits a different mission, all involved intending to finish by a target date (A quarterly game, for example). When the game finishes, we do any switching up between GMs and players that is desired, decide on some new missions, pick characters to suit them from the "Roster" (Hence the Character pool). This keeps everybody playing at once and at a good pace, and offers different games at the same time. GMs can work together to create quarterly episodes that nest, or run separate adventures all together. And they don't have to be all similar - An assault mission, an espionage mission, and a Ninja storyline, a tech/hacking mission, diplomacy/problem solving, etc.. Ideally, switching up every few months maintains the social contact aspect with everyone, along with a robust OOG. Keeps GMS from getting burned out, too! 

I'm curious if "simultaneous resolution" can solve the posting gap problem in combat for larger groups. It would still break down into more traditional play-by-post gaps during role-playing/narrative, Id imagine.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:16 pm

Don Jones was at Wesleyan. Guess we didn’t see him much after you moved down. He was a strict DM.

I think breaking off into groups might be ambitious. DM’s would need tight communication in other to prevent competing table rules from developing. It also presumes we have 9 reliable players. (Not a criticism but we all have inconsistencies). Two groups with permissions for character coverage would be better. I’m down in any case, but don’t want to DM right away. I need to figure out how to make power point work on my phone.

I would argue vehemently against imposing vulnerabilities on characters for international hesitation. Character is not flat footed. Character is carefully assessing the situation in a state of vigilance before acting. Penalties should be limited to available action and movement choices. 5’ of movement and reactions only could work. Start with heavy restrictions and see whether it is marginalized enough or too much?

DM should declare intentions intelligently but before the players and in secret. There is less potential for a hesitation round that way. We could otherwise experiment with hesitation as a pc only privilege, but I know you guys will hate that. 🤪
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:23 pm

navyik wrote:Don Jones was at Wesleyan. Guess we didn’t see him much after you moved down. He was a strict DM.

I think breaking off into groups might be ambitious. DM’s would need tight communication in other to prevent competing table rules from developing. It also presumes we have 9 reliable players. (Not a criticism but we all have inconsistencies). Two groups with permissions for character coverage would be better. I’m down in any case, but don’t want to DM right away. I need to figure out how to make power point work on my phone.

I would argue vehemently against imposing vulnerabilities on characters for international hesitation. Character is not flat footed. Character is carefully assessing the situation in a state of vigilance before acting. Penalties should be limited to available action and movement choices. 5’ of movement and reactions only could work. Start with heavy restrictions and see whether it is marginalized enough or too much?  

DM should declare intentions intelligently but before the players and in secret. There is less potential for a hesitation round that way. We could otherwise experiment with hesitation as a pc only privilege, but I know you guys will hate that. 🤪

Don sounds familiar but I think I only met him in passing, not sure we gamed together. 

I was just using numbers as an example. Realistically, Id say it probably shakes into two groups, but the core idea is shorter, faster games with smaller groups to ensure decent play pace, and flexibility to change between groups, charcacters, and roles (player or GM). I cant see myself jumping into another game with "conventional" formatting and 6 PCs again. It is laborious under the best circumstances and most attentive participants, just prohibitively slow in the forum format.  At best you get a post a week as a player. Its just hard to stay involved. This isn't anyone's fault in particular. We've got a great group of players and GMs, even the "newbies" did great with the quality of their games, but the format creates a lot of procedural friction, and that grows exponentially as we add participants. Its food for thought. 

Agree that penalizing "Hesitate" goes too far, I just dont want it to be without risk/cost. 5' ft and reactions only sounds fair, we'll see what Chris has to say. I also like the idea of limiting the amount of times you can do it, so It can be ridden every round.

Last edited by MAS on Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:24 pm

I think the mechanic should balance itself given the expense in actions. Might I build a character the makes use of “Hesitate”? Perhaps. It should not affect much.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:54 pm

I’m looking at overwatch and I think only Heavies can do it. It’s an artillery talent. I don’t see it elsewhere. Am I missing something?

I re-read strongpoint. Heavies are awesome.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:57 am

oops, my bad then! I haven't really read the whole book, so I just assumed it was a standard option for everyone. I will discontinue its use

I got to play with Don a few times, mostly Star Wars d6, if I recall. playing with a strict DM and a bunch of stoners was not an ideal mix drunken

ok, a couple thoughts, just to add into the mix, though some are less ripe than yesterday

Terms:
    Simultaneous Resolution = SR
    Variable Initiative = VI
    new u5 rules = u5
    AE = action economy
    TE = turn economy

1) we are testing multiple "new" things at once. It is really hard to get an accurate read on any 1 thing with so many moving parts. U5, SR and VI all make changes to the core mechanics that we know and think of as our baseline. If we really want to explore and test these ideas we need to test things 1 at a time compared to the baseline. for example, test VI with standard 5e D&D.... test SR with standard 5e D&D.... test standard U5 rules without VI and SR

1.5) what we are doing is fine for an only u5 + VR + SI test

2) our current speed is more a reflection of the group of humans involved, imho. When I was running Tomb of Annihilation, we were also able to complete a full combat round per day, sometimes more. We used standard initiative and play-by-post. Josh, Alan and I were all frequent participants. SR would still bog down if, for example and no slight intended here, Rob was still playing and didn't post for +48hrs like he has done in Pirates.

3) I don't think we should discount the Dev's reasons for intentionally removing Delay and not using VI in 5e D&D. We know these games are thoroughly play-tested and that they are not a bunch of morons (unlike the 4e devs). They know their game far better than we do.

3.5) that being said, U5 and SW might work better with VI than D&D. U5 and SW often involve squad vs squad combat with groups of individuals who share similar abilities. NPCs are just people with class, ladder, etc and are functionally very similar to the PCs.

D&D is not the same beast at all. NPCs are often single, powerful entities with abilities far outside the scope of what a PC can ever acquire - legendary actions, lair actions, etc. Imagine a situation with a party fighting a dragon and the dragon goes back-to-back. That could easily lead to a TPK. Likewise, the opposite is also true, if the dragon went first and then last, the party could chain 8-10 turns and kill a boss, who only gets 1 reaction, 1 lair action, etc during a time frame when it should get 2 plus its own turn.

3.75) What I am really talking about here is TE, which is different than AE (making good use of Action, Bonus, reaction). 5e is built upon a framework of a 1:1 TE for overall balance. Removing that or even altering that can really wreck the game. Mages would be very OP if given 2 turns before an enemy. Healers would useless if the enemy got 2 turns in a row. etc
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:50 pm

Missed that Overwatch thing, still reading through myself, good catch @ Alan. 

A lot of good conversation here. I think we've identified a few glaring issues and are on our way to resolving them - but are also at a point where it'd be beneficial to stop and reset. Partially because I went at this pretty casual. 

@ Chris 1: Certainly. If this was a professional environment, Id be conducting a much more thorough and exacting test, isolating each change, running the same thing under the same conditions multiple times to establish baselines before we introduce a change at all, logging everything, etc. I don't think anyone but me would enjoy the level of capability analysis I could take this to, lol! As it is, this is pretty casual and Im comfortable with that. Agree that we should set some constraints on what exactly is being tested.

Caveat: Ive got a hankering that we could make a saweeeet U5 Splatbook out of the GI JOE stuff, with a bit of of rules work but mostly creative development (Campaign info, adventures, and the products to support them like maps and such). In that case, I'd want to very carefully test any "included" rules changes. But with this creative group and the source material it will kick ass, and I havnt seen anything out there like it

Also think that documenting the play by post protocols would have value, best practices gleaned from the years we've done it, and different formats (SR vs traditional, etc). 

(Whole 'nother ball o wax and maybe best for another thread but I want to get it down while Im thinking about it: One reason I am interested in streamlining forum play, is I am interested in how many games/players one operator could conceivably manage in an 8 hour day/40 hour week, in a forum format. I bet if one was running modules with pre-generated content and delivering fairly templated content, one could keep up with 8-10 games at a time. People are always complaining about not being able to find games. $20 a month sub, Updates Mon-Fri, high quality maps, upfront expectations and rules to keep the game moving. Guess I could run conservative "worst case" numbers, assuming 4 players and a 24 hour post or pass rule for "Sequenced Resolution" games?) 

My priorities, Im less concerned about U5 itself because its 95% 5e, and I think it takes a game or two with any system to get to know it, so that isn't something that is easily tested, except by racking up overall system hours. 

Im most interested in SR and VI. VI is secondary, and I can see value in testing it separately, but think that it can be run concurrently with SR & U5 without much disruption. At the level of analysis we are doing, we will observe friction it kicks up and can easily observe how and where it is rubbing against other mechanics. 

Philosophical argument: Yes, TPKs and "punching above your weight" by killing something quick SHOULD be possible because this gunfire vs sword swinging and it moves fast. Sometimes the timing lines up great, and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes that matters, and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes being at the wrong place at the wrong time just kills you, and sometimes being at the right place at the right time spares your life. 5e has an inherent survivability, and I'm looking to put an edge on it. Some systems (Like Savage Worlds) use "exploding dice" that give a similar chaos and potential lethality. part of that is what I'm trying to do with the Endurance/Exhaustion mechanic and VI. 

Proposal for re-set:

Launch one encounter with One GM and One character each, two players. U5 + SR (+VI if you guys feel froggy) for first encounter. Turn around and try Dnd + SR (+VI maybe) for next encounter. Pre-gens are easy to find. This should give some good looks at SR in both settings, minimum, but i think will tell us a lot overall. Thoughts? 

Im holding back on Endurance/Exhaustion for now. 12 is too high a number with these dmg codes and I need look at it all again.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:16 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, as always.

I do hope the following was not lost in my up-cast Wall of Words spell  study

Chris wrote:
    1.5) what we are doing is fine for an only u5 + VR + SI test

3.5)  that being said, U5 and SW might work better with VI than D&D.  U5 and SW often involve squad vs squad combat with groups of individuals who share similar abilities.  NPCs are just people with class, ladder, etc and are functionally very similar to the PCs.  

Philosophically, I agree with your observations about putting an edge on fights, as they aren't very realistic or maybe even cinematic as they are.  However, this isn't a tactical board game or a video game or even a movie.  RPGs are different.  They are typically character-driven and often character dependent.  

TPKs should be rare events, most games never have them, except under exceptional circumstances.  Even the loss of 1 party member is very rare.  If it were more common, parties would never finish dungeons.  The party would spend a large portion of its time recruiting and meeting new members.  

Now, if we were just playing a military-style squad combat game and losses were expected each fight and victory was about the condition of the win, not 100% survival, that would be different and also a different game.  But that also isn't an RPG.  There would be no point to character development or out of combat narratives.  But honestly, I would rather just play a video shooter game or h2h A&A or something.  

I do think SR will work just fine for D&D.
    I do think both SR and VI would work for u5

since u5 is so new, I would rather just continue the current fight as I am learning something new about it each round, as are we all, like OVW lol!
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:37 am

Woo boy this response is getting deep. Thought I was drawing to a close and got zapped by a whole new idea that needs adding. 

I recall that some historical figure once opened a long correspondence to a friend with an apology for not having time to send a shorter letter.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:50 am

sorry!  

I hope this goes without saying, but what I wrote is, of course, just my opinion.  I am not trying to shoot your ideas down or discourage you from exploring whatever you want to explore.

Writing on a forum, like an email or even texts, can be tone deaf.  We have been dealing with this issue a LOT in my office for the last 10 months of isolation.  Actual conversations are rare, even though we meet weekly as an office via Zoom.  

I am not trying to actively shape your project and bend it to my will.  I hope you feel free to just say, "thanks but I am going this way".  

You asked for help to play test your ideas, so that is what I am doing - playing, testing and sharing my feedback.  You can take some of it, none of it or all of it.  I won't be offended.

I got interested in the GIJOE stuff, because that said to me - character was going to matter, which made it seem more like an RPG.  JOEs don't die, they are the heroes, etc

That may or may not have been what you saw.  Maybe you just saw GIJOE as a skin for a more military ops kind of game.  That's totally fine, it just isn't my cup of tea, because I like coffee.  I will continue to playtest and help you, but I probably wouldn't play in something long term as a finished product in that setting.

Like I said, do what you want - you are the boss of your project. If you want to restart the scenario, I am fine with that, though I know I would still learn from the current scenario too.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:48 pm

Some good points as always. I'm loving this meta deep dive. We brothers among the elder geek council lounge in the parthenon to speaketh of organizationing and implementing the consenus imagination. 

All true about written comms. I often come off as perfunctory and cold when trying to write concisely. I don't feel any of this has been tense or disrespectful discussion, hope you feel the same. We've add a big discussion on theory and such alongside some more basic "hey, how do you wanna do this stuff" and that's cool with me. Appreciate the nod, but we cant game without a group! I genuinely appreciate all of the tribes well considered and collaborative input. None of this ultimately has to be used, and the process of examination is recreation for me in itself. I enjoy being creative with you all. 

Before I launch out, I don't think there is anything inherently "wrong" with straightforward, traditional RPG game structure. As an enjoyer of all sorts of games, I cant help but see some fun in the process of blending the lines between them.  

As far as defining it, "that's not this or that" - correct! Its not a hard definition game I'm looking to play and offer, as I enjoy aspects of many styles of games as I know you all do too. Its a hybrid of a bunch of different stuff - im really unconcerned with wethher the end results fits a neat box of definitions, because I think there is a lot of room to plug in different styles and formats within a larger, agreed upon framework. Why not pull in fun aspects of other game styles? Why cant an episode be a role-play heavy board game style that feeds into the larger the context of the story? And then the next, a role playing heavy game, then the next, whatever? Its all game, a collaborative ecosystem anchored to 5e mechanics for mechanical consistency. (5e in this case, but it could be built around many other rulesets if desired).  

I agree that TPKs should be rare across the board, but the typical safety of DnD becomes a bit tepid, past certain levels it gets really hard to die, IMO. Have you seen how aggressively I play Renda?! he's only hit half HP once, IIRC!!! Lol! But seriously, I play that character with zero regards for my HP and there is enough natural protection in the system that I can confidently survive. 

War stories without casualties are boring. But also, like, its GI JOE - how permanent do you expect death to be?!?! You are drawing me further ahead/outside of the immediate box, but my intent for "Dead" is "out of the mission and roll a D20". Still working the spread, but most of the results are "evacuated", there is also "captured" because they were always rescuing each other in that show! BOOM - Next mission, we gotta bust Stitches outa Springfield! So I figure only a natural 1 on that roll actually results in permadeath that transcends the mission. So "going down" on a mission is more of a story device than a permadeath, in most cases. But the team would have to charlie mike (continue mission) despite the loss. 

HOT TAKE: The MORE character deaths the better, IMO. It'll show that the players are going for it instead of holding back and playing safe! JK. Kinda. But seriously. I dont GM to kill characters, I don't feel the GMs role is to "oppose" the players, but I do think that any combat encounter should be potentially lethal and TPK if the party makes bad choices. The possibility of imminent death should accompany the game at every round, beyond the first few levels. 

I disagree heartily about increased chance of death and varying tactical focus being a barrier to role playing, its all in how the story gets told, and the context of action. And also about not having to do the same thing in every game. Some games CAN be more of a tactical board game. Rob has run some stellar examples of this around the table, focused on Colonial Marines missions. It played like an RPG and streamlined warhammer 40K, and it was a blast. There is nothing stopping meaningful roleplay from taking place during any game, character deaths should be memorable and epic and be the food for funny inside joke memes if played properly.  Flexibility between games and varying play types = that's where the changing missions come in. Because one mission played over the course of a few months may be a straight up shootout /assault /escape tactical game, and another maybe a diplomacy/espionage mission with much more subtlety and almost no shooting till the tense resolution, and a big conventional battle that is a bit more board game. Or no shooting at all, cuz Ninjas! But that's the point of shorter games. We can shift style and focus in between them if we want! Or not. It depends on what everyone is in the mood for. 

While this model easily applies to the genre/themes of GI JOE, I think a similar "smaller/shorter games and a pool of characters" could work fine for DnD (or most any game) in forum/play by post). Your campaigns a few years ago illustrated the point that we can skin the systems with anything to look like anything regardless of how they look, which was a big breakthrough for our group. Yeah, 5e was intended to run a traditional rpg game, but as a set of mechanics, it can be used to do a lot more than the straightforward rpg it was skinned as. And that makes everything made it with compatible. 

With Alan's approval, we will move forward with SR and VI, from the current point of action.

Im pretty caught up watching "The Battle of Gamestop" today, anyone else?
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:18 pm

I never saw much character development in GI JOE, show or comics. That subjective point aside, what I can identify as important here is the player's "this is my vision and what Im looking for in the game". Those sorts of things are legit. Everybody is looking for different things out of their games, and this where open communication is important. 

I do think a well role played character that exists for a short period can be role played as well as one played for 20 lvls in a row. 

We've completed how many full story lines/campaigns on the forum in the last 15 years? maybe 3? While I do agree that individual participants do make or break things in regards to pace, the friction/delay build up increases exponentially as participants are added in this format. The reason your game of ToA went so smooth/fast was both because participant action was sharp and the fact that it was a small group. That's the ideal combo, the small participant number equals more participant action which generates more/smoother play flow and its a feedback loop. So the question becomes how to do that while including the larger group, because we all want to hang out. The answer I submit is = "do both and speed things up at the next higher structural level, too".  

Starting the characters at 2nd level, and then leveling up 3 every mission, one can take a campaign from start to finish in 7 jumps/episodes while hitting all the power levels nicely. You play one character and then come back to it three missions later, and you'll be playing it at a higher level, wherever the campaign is overall. Mixing up missions and characters keeps it all fresh but moving in a singular overall arch. Getting in a solid group of fights at each level. Everybody can GM or play, and when you play, you play what you want, both in game style and character. Could you try to pound your way through with one character? Sure, and that could mean that the group is soft on skillsets for a mission that is ill suited for said character. That sort of thing shakes itself out, I suppose. SR might make it possible to do it with one group, but a few groups does not require a ton of coordination either. And possibly more interesting. Like an espionage team and an assault team who's mission are intertwined and happening concurrently but in separate places with separate GMs. Yeah, that would take some coordination between the GMS, and that would be something they would agree to and do on their own - but man that could be badass! Like, maybe riggers and hackers in one group giving support to a team in the field in the other.  That's basically splitting GM duties for a single adventure. The possibilities are wide open. Its about collaboration, being solution oriented, and making cool stories from this rich group of imaginations, and play! For me at least. I always come back to the "yes, and" improv approach. 

In any case, if the group isn't interested in trying new things, that's no foul, you are all welcome your POVs and are not obligated to be interested in the same things I am. If folks dont like/enjoy the idea, collaboration aspect, or gameplay potential of what I'm offering, they are not obligated and I am not offended. That being said, I don't see a point in continuing this with two testers and at least half of them have a lack of intent/willingness to explore it further besides running a pointless U5 encounter. U5 works fine and I've no need to test it on its own, we can read it on our own time. I feel pretty confident that SR works and could come to dominate forum games. VI is just a matter of accepting more chaos and risk/having another dial to fiddle with, i think it could break the game equally in Gm or Player favor so it exists largely in equilibrium - its a choice of "do we want to use a more gamified version of initiative or not". 

I don't have interest in running a standard linear campaign with this idea/campaign setting. Id rather save it a for later use - I like it a lot and intend continued development from my end. So lets free up bandwidth and we'll just call this off. Maybe someone else wants to run a different U5 game of some sort. Their "Apex" splatbook would make a Supers campaign and we've never really done that genre (closest was maybe Chris's Coma brain game, which was cool!). They've also a got a slick cyber punk ruleset. While I'll take prerogative to be picky about what I run, I'd play anything.
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:49 pm

If I am mad, I will add a 😡 to post. Otherwise I expect to be as snarky as I want and still interpreted as husk kidding around.

GameStop. Wow. Wow.

Stable of alternating characters is like Christmas. 😁

VI and SR don’t bother me at all combined. I think SR by itself would still give someone the opportunity to counter everything like a mind reader. They seem to go hand in hand IMHO.

I don’t like that a Heavy only gets one attack and never gets more.
    Strong point is only once per short rest and then twice.

Power up needs a discussion as do several effects that muddy the waters around attacks that target AC and those with saves. Powerup also needs tracking of current condition and then expected condition from the action if it is not expended by a reaction. I will just work on it as we go, please point out any issues here.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:02 pm

whoa, talk about a Wall of Words spell!  you even spent a Sorc point to Twin it drunken

To be honest, I have no idea what we are even talking about anymore.  As far as I know, this all started as 'help me playtest SR within u5'

I thought you were talking about GIJOE as a future application of what we playtest in your scenarios?  

I have low confidence in SR after 2 combat rounds, each of which have raised issues with it lol!
    I feel even less confidence in VI being viable outside of u5, maybe not even there.  again, it has 2 rounds of testing.

I am still willing to playtest SR (and\or VI) with you in u5 or D&D setting.  I am a little frustrated that after 2 rounds of combat, it sounds like you are giving up on that.  

I don't have the time or interest in co-gm duties or running anything right now.  

What I really like about tactical board games, like Warhammer\space marines\etc, is that they are competitive games.  There are no GMs, only players with equal teams actually fighting each other.  There is no need for "stories" as it is a combat game.  If that was fun for you and Rob, great, but I have no interest in that, sorry.

That is different, imo, from RPGs which are cooperative, not competitive, and usually more story-focused, though like ToA showed not necessarily.  

Again, I don't really understand what you are even proposing at the current time.  It sounds sorta like your Champions game, with missions, varying levels, rotating GMs or multiple scenarios running at once and jumping levels, with flexible teams.....  and GIJOE mixed in.  

If you don't want to playtest anything further, that's fine too I guess.  If you have an idea for a game that you want to run, please present it separate from the discussions of SR\VI playtesting here, since it is confusing to me.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:21 pm

Chris wrote:whoa, talk about a Wall of Words spell!  you even spent a Sorc point to Twin it drunken

To be honest, I have no idea what we are even talking about anymore.  As far as I know, this all started as 'help me playtest SR within u5'

I thought you were talking about GIJOE as a future application of what we playtest in your scenarios?  

I have low confidence in SR after 2 combat rounds, each of which have raised issues with it lol!
    I feel even less confidence in VI being viable outside of u5, maybe not even there.  again, it has 2 rounds of testing.

I am still willing to playtest SR (and\or VI) with you in u5 or D&D setting.  I am a little frustrated that after 2 rounds of combat, it sounds like you are giving up on that.  

I don't have the time or interest in co-gm duties or running anything right now.  

What I really like about tactical board games, like Warhammer\space marines\etc, is that they are competitive games.  There are no GMs, only players with equal teams actually fighting each other.  There is no need for "stories" as it is a combat game.  If that was fun for you and Rob, great, but I have no interest in that, sorry.

That is different, imo, from RPGs which are cooperative, not competitive, and usually more story-focused, though like ToA showed not necessarily.  

Again, I don't really understand what you are even proposing at the current time.  It sounds sorta like your Champions game, with missions, varying levels, rotating GMs or multiple scenarios running at once and jumping levels, with flexible teams.....  and GIJOE mixed in.  

If you don't want to playtest anything further, that's fine too I guess.  If you have an idea for a game that you want to run, please present it separate from the discussions of SR\VI playtesting here, since it is confusing to me.

ABRACADABRA WALL O WORDZ ACTIVATE FORM OF A PARAGRAPH SHAPE OF A RUN ON SENTENCE PUNCTUATION IS FOR LOSERS

I thought you were talking about GIJOE as a future application of what we playtest in your scenarios: Yes sir, I am. 

The mechanics (SR and VI, and the endurance/exhaustion mechanic) are intended to support the play of the game, SR specifically to address what I see as friction points in the format (Too many players in one game) and speed up combat encounters. VI and endurance are intended to make for a riskier/more dynamic battle. 

The larger framework is intended to offer a multi choice campaign that is partially created as it goes with input from everyone. The campaign consists of multiple episodic vignettes/stories. The players and GMS have the ability to switch out what they are doing between games, based on mutual discussion of what kind of thing we all want to do next. Just because its tough to play in big groups doesn't mean we can still play well paced games, stay in the same orbits and switch out every few months to vary who were playing with - and still be all "in the same game" within the framework of a full length campaign. In situations where the play is split, you'd probably still want to at least read the other groups' adventure, as Ideally the outcomes are affecting each other and the overall story. It could be done by one GM or a few GMs running simultaneous games, in cahoots involving anything between detailed collaboration to a single casual discussion/email about how they might link the two missions they run. It might work with a single party using SR, Im not interested in running it as a standard linear game as we have been doing to date with a bigger group. 

Im uncertain how a multi-month combat long encounter in "regular" DnD differs from "battle with role playing elements" thats takes the same or less time? That really seems like semantics to me. Arnt all combat encounters battles with story/rpg elements? Im talking about characters commanding larger units in big battles at certain points in the game, or being jet pilots in dogfights, or a Tank battle against a Cobra HISS armor battalion, an underwater submarine mission with both a risky recovery dive and a hunt for red october style, cat and mouse game with Cobra navy, or a SPACCCCCCE FORRRRRCEEEE mission? That is how GI JOE rolled, yo. Thats what Im looking to do. Its still an Rpg. Any of those prompts would make a bad ass 2-3 of months of gaming. Ideally, with SR, you could cram a ton of role play and 3-4 combat battles into that time frame. And then we reorient, and start another small one (or two). Consider the power-tiered stable of characters played by one PC in Ars Magica, it doesn't make it any less of an RPG, its just structured differently in the way characters move into and out of scenes and stories. With the exception that this doesn't power tier the participants, it keeps them all at whatever level the campaign is currently at.

Neither here nor there: There are a lot of coop board/tabletop games these days, the Alien Bug Hunt game (not rob's thing I mentioned earlier, but a commercial off the shelf game table game) is awesome, that's basically the players against some decks, dice, and timers (in place of a GM). We've also played a few cop zombie games, and one kinda ravenloft like coop game. Lots of really cool hybrids out there. Gloomhaven is a video game but a good example of mashing rpg and more board game like elements. 

@ Chris, You did a campaign in specific back at "benderworst" where we integrated larger battles with a story and everybody seemed to love it. Guess that's why the lack of interest surprises me, we used to play around with this stuff all the time and I figured it would still hold interest. No biggie if I'm wrong, which I appear to be, judging by the reactions I get when offering these sorts of collaborative projects. Again, Im saying this an observation not an attack, your tastes are your tastes and that's cool. Its just not a mutual interest and that's no skin off my nose or yours. 

Me, I think we could do some very fun and unique gaming if folks are interested, solution oriented, and open minded to try. I'm not judging anybody negatively on whether they want to try or not. I'm just saying that if that isn't in the least interesting to others as something to try out, I have no reason to continue doing it here and further pestering you all about it. 
    navyik
    navyik

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  navyik Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:24 pm

I guess I just thought we were working out kinks and standardizing interpretation of rules. I wasn’t trying to bag on any of it. I was really having fun...
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:19 pm

navyik wrote:I guess I just thought we were working out kinks and standardizing interpretation of rules. I wasn’t trying to bag on any of it. I was really having fun...

yeah, that's what I am saying too lol!

I think we are actually having multiple different conversations that go in and out of being merged, and therefore sometimes confused.  Again, others may have different interpretations, but this is how I see our conversations:

1) playtesting u5 in general (as Alan noted) with the implementation of Matt's SR and VI options
          Alan has raised specific mechanical questions like Hesitate and Heavy abilities
    1.5) trying SR and VI in a classic 5e D&D setting for comparison

2)  Matt's initial concept for applying (1) into a future game with a GI JOE setting.  u5, SR/VI and standard RPG format

3) general discussion of non-standard and\or non-linear storyingtelling and game design theory
    ie military-scale ops, flexible PC "rosters" (Ars Magica), coop board games, etc

4) Matt's further-evolving concept of said GI JOE game incorporating (1), (2) and (3)

__________________________________________________________________________________

I also think, understandably, that comments made might have been said with 1 of those elements in mind but heard as feedback (or criticism) of a different element, often with the unintended consequence of derailing the flow of discussion.

I propose that we create separate threads for further discussion.  I am open to discussion of what and how many, but it seems like we need at least 2, if not more

1st thread - mechanical, playtesting of u5, SR, VI
    this would be more of a direct discussion, all opinions are equal, kind of thread

2nd thread - Matt's GIJOE, non-standard, non-linear, multi-game concept
    this is Matt's game, to lay out his ideas, we can share feedback and thoughts, but in the end, he is the GM
    this would be a temporary thread until he actually begins to run his game in its own forum room

3rd thread - applying all of this to other people in other games?  probably not necessary, as it will initially be covered in 2nd thread.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

for example, my comments about preferring that competitive tactical board games and cooperative RPGs remain separate things, was said about topic (3), but I think Matt heard them as directly applying to (2) and (4).  I don't have any interest in playing them as their own game per se.  Matt then further explained, by way of example to the Bender, which gave me a context to understand it better as it related to his idea for a game.  That helps me see his vision and understand what the heck we are talking about.   If these were done in separate threads, it might be easier to separate general theoretical comments from a game-specific idea or from strictly mechanical discussions which are not reflective of a story concept.

I also still think that some of this confusion is due to the tone-deaf nature of written-only communication with hours or days between replies.  Matt might say 10 things, I think about 1 or 2 them in my head and reply the next day to those 2, but Alan hears them as they relate to the thing he was thinking about, so he replies to that, but....  its kind of like a game of stoner telephone.  Now, if only Ryan were here to act as translator scratch
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:47 pm

Quickly/Shortly: 

This pandemic situation (and online interactions in general) deprives us Ape people of a lot of the tools we subconsciously use for communication, visual and auditory cues absent, its easy to get things confused. Especially amongst more refined and complex minds as our august company. Tally ho! 

All good stuff and concur on moving forward & separating topics. More to follow.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:39 am

Will have this moving again by end of day with a round resolution.  

Personal and current events have me a bit spun out right now.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:42 am

no worries and no pressure for pace

I am always here if you want to talk too
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:48 pm

Back in motion, thanks for your patience.

I appreciate the offer Chris, and Ill touch bases with you in an email in depth. Im actually doing much better these days than I was the last year or so, but still getting into some rough stretches now and then. Physically, my back is doing much better, which is a win, but other things remain challenging. And then the the normal BS- Like I finally got my appointment for the my head injury VA claim (money, not treatment, I've gotten pretty fast access to docs) - but wires got crossed when I moved back, so the appointment was made in Junction, so now Im back to waiting for an appointment again. And for some reason every now and then Im still getting hammered with anxiety attacks. When several things converge I just end up laying low for a while, frankly hiding, limiting contact with people. Im actively trying to counter it and am building back to where I can interact regularly again.  I do appreciate the shout. Josh checked in too after I posted that, which I appreciated. 

In any case, we are rolling again.
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:53 am

I am glad to hear it. Things are especially hard, for everyone, right now. We have all been living through the isolation caused by a global pandemic, legitimate concern for our own health or the health of loved ones, an actual coup attempt on the US govt, 4 years of unstable craziness in our govt, not to mention whatever personal issues we all deal with everyday.

Be gentle with yourself. We are all just doing the best we can right now. That "best" might not be what we expect of ourselves, but it is what we can do for today. Some days, just pouring cereal in a bowl for my kid feels like a victory.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:00 pm

Chris wrote:I am glad to hear it.  Things are especially hard, for everyone, right now.  We have all been living through the isolation caused by a global pandemic, legitimate concern for our own health or the health of loved ones, an actual coup attempt on the US govt, 4 years of unstable craziness in our govt, not to mention whatever personal issues we all deal with everyday.

Be gentle with yourself.  We are all just doing the best we can right now.  That "best" might not be what we expect of ourselves, but it is what we can do for today.  Some days, just pouring cereal in a bowl for my kid feels like a victory.  

For sure! Its been a rough ride for all/most of the us the last few years. Trying hard to make that a positive and growth oriented thing. The whole last 3 years has been a death/rebirth cycle for me. Its still not complete, but I feel Im coming out the far end of it with much better understanding of myself. Silver linings, and all.
    MAS
    MAS
    Admin

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  MAS Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:11 pm

Working round resolution now
    Chris
    Chris

Character Information
    Hit points:
    Action Points:
    Character Sheet:

Post  Chris Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:59 pm

I think part of the difficulty with seeing the grenades is just the scale of the map, which is larger with smaller hex marking. But anything you can do to improve that is appreciated.

as for other feedback.... after our further discussions and another couple rounds, I am ready to terminate this simulation, if you both are.

Given my unfamiliarity with u5 still (book has been shipped finally) I would be willing to move onto whatever phase you deem is appropriate next. I am fine with more testing or with going straight into GIJOE campaign mode.

I would prefer starting on the lower end of levels, just to experience u5 a bit more, especially if we jump up tiers as you suggested earlier, but I will play with whatever starting req.s the GM wants.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:48 pm